(Topic ID: 153490)

PIN2DMD - LED color DMD for all resolutions (128x32, 128x16, 192x64 and 256x64)

By lucky1

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Slippifishi Files (resized).png
CFTBL Corrupt Files (resized).png
CFTBL Current Files (resized).png
IMG_2849.jpeg
A8AEA534-F3BD-4919-B78E-7D1AB6B96097 (resized).jpeg
F43E1532-CFC7-4AAC-97C5-03E3AA12C585 (resized).jpeg
EA68A705-4AB3-4D9E-9C8D-E1D46F77C48E (resized).jpeg
ABBFB05F-1655-4F97-B947-9553F6E41B1E (resized).jpeg
board (resized).PNG
display (resized).jpg
1734D102-06BB-46F8-8907-BEE132F0FC91 (resized).jpeg
D4D83DAE-308F-4D55-AA77-AA4475620FBB (resized).png
46772C85-ACBC-4980-B0F4-992A927A2346 (resized).jpeg
Untitled (resized).png
7F9951E5-173C-498B-8921-96D54E268C47 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,459 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 30.
#851 5 years ago

Feature ideas for pin2dmd
Shaker motor output where you can use frame Id to trigger shaker.

Output from the pin2dmd to the GI so that the pin2dmd can control rgb leds in the GI circuit.

#852 5 years ago
Quoted from galaxian:

Feature ideas for pin2dmd
Shaker motor output where you can use frame Id to trigger shaker.
Output from the pin2dmd to the GI so that the pin2dmd can control rgb leds in the GI circuit.

This should be doable with pin2dmd event trigger output. You would need a secondard device (or controller board) that receives the serial commands and then controls a shaker or control rgb leds in GI.

Shaker control I've done based on RasPiSound already in my HS2 see here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rebuilding-sound-for-de-jurassic-park-using-a-pi/page/3#post-4562327

Br Steve

#853 5 years ago

Is there a different firmware for using in DE 128x16? I have a nucleo F429ZI with V4 shield and controller from Rapplebox. I have tested the the the nucleo and V4 shield in my LW3 and it works fine so my issue I'm guessing is in the controller board.
Thanks for any help.

#854 5 years ago

What firmware version do you have installed on the nucleo? It looks like the 128x16 support started at 2.43. Did you configure the device mode to be DE 128x16 in the config menu on the unit?

20181023_132142 (resized).jpg20181023_132142 (resized).jpg

#855 5 years ago
Quoted from latenite04:

What firmware version do you have installed on the nucleo? It looks like the 128x16 support started at 2.43. Did you configure the device mode to be DE 128x16 in the config menu on the unit?
[quoted image]

You also need the 128x16 controller board. https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/tree/master/hardware/128x16%20CONTROLLER

#856 5 years ago

I knew I was missing something. I do have the latest firmware and your controller board but it looks like I need to configure the device mode. Thanks Lucky1!

1 week later
#857 5 years ago

OK, I was planning to set 3 additional pin2dmd
I just received the 64x64 but sadly these ones are a single device, not twice 64x32

So I have to purchase again.
Any seller recommendations for europe/France shipment? AliExpress is still the best option?

And last but not least, what can I do with 3 panels 64x64??

#858 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

OK, I was planning to set 3 additional pin2dmd
I just received the 64x64 but sadly these ones are a single device, not twice 64x32
So I have to purchase again.
Any seller recommendations for europe/France shipment? AliExpress is still the best option?
And last but not least, what can I do with 3 panels 64x64??

I placed my last order here https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Factory-Direct-Wholesale-P2-5-indoor-led-display-module-P2-5-160-80-64-32-dots/1000001269484.html There is also a woman selling panels through facebook https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007277389143 but I never tried it.

You can use the 3 panels for a Sega 192x64 topper with a nucleo based controller.

I also just recently published my order information for all-in-one controller boards EVO128x32 manufactured at pcbway.com
It cost only 60 Euro each for a order of 10 boards including parts, soldering, shipping and tax. It is all in the zip file here https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/tree/master/hardware/EVO128x32
Technically these boards are based on the schematics of the latest Nucleo shield including a 5A DC/DC converter.
You only need the panels and solder panel power plugs to the pcb. Firmware installation is done through USB in DFU mode.
Here are some pictures.
IMG_0484 (resized).jpgIMG_0484 (resized).jpgIMG_0486 (resized).jpgIMG_0486 (resized).jpg

#859 5 years ago

Thanks lucky, that's a good idea.
Would you sell one board of your batch?

#860 5 years ago

All spare are already gone.

#861 5 years ago

Dear lucky

So I order 2 panels for eur 20 and 10 pcbs for eur 60, purchase a license and I am ready to go? No STM board or whatever is needed? The PCB looks like it is also a frame for the panels and can install direct in a Stern? Is also works with inframe coloring smartdmd?

#862 5 years ago

And 1 other question, can the same setup also be used for a go-dmd clock?

#863 5 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Dear lucky
So I order 2 panels for eur 20 and 10 pcbs for eur 60, purchase a license and I am ready to go? No STM board or whatever is needed? The PCB looks like it is also a frame for the panels and can install direct in a Stern? Is also works with inframe coloring smartdmd?

It is 60 Euro for each PCB with a minimum order quantatity of 10 pcbs at pcbway.com.
It has the same features as the Nucleo shield solution (except Wifi) und supports 5V and 12V input power.

Quoted from Rensh:

And 1 other question, can the same setup also be used for a go-dmd clock?

Since go-dmd is not supported on the Nucleo shield, it is also not supported on the EVO board.

#864 5 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

It is 60 Euro for each PCB with a minimum order quantatity of 10 pcbs at pcbway.com.
It has the same features as the Nucleo shield solution (except Wifi) und supports 5V and 12V input power.

Since go-dmd is not supported on the Nucleo shield, it is also not supported on the EVO board.

Even if it would be minor effort to port the latest firmware to the EVO board, it is still missing headers for (more or less) required peripherals like dht sensor, pir sensor, ir sensor also with neither wifi nor rtc even correct time will be a problem. So no goDMD support with this board.

Br Steve

#865 5 years ago

The EVO board is really purpose made for a Pinball DMD - virtual or real. Given the very specific setup for fixing and DMD size, there would be no point in adding all the required goDMD peripherals.

The best option for goDMD is the VET6 design. I built one recently - looks great, works great

I really like the functionality - time, date, temperature. relative humidity, and animations. Also you can set the text (time, date etc) to one colour or random and set the animations to another colour or random.

I like the fixed colour for text and random for the animations.

2 months later
#867 5 years ago
Quoted from SteveNZ:

I really like the functionality - time, date, temperature. relative humidity, and animations. Also you can set the text (time, date etc) to one colour or random and set the animations to another colour or random.

Can it display multi-color animations (i.e., 16-color replacement frames that were custom-colorized by the Pin2DMD editor)?

#868 5 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

Can it display multi-color animations (i.e., 16-color replacement frames that were custom-colorized by the Pin2DMD editor)?

Yes

#869 5 years ago

Hi Lucky1 or Steve45,

is there any instructions on how to use the PIN2DMD editor to create animations for goDMD? There is good info for colorizing DMD animations, but I can't find any instructions on how to choose the animations and to then use those animations to create the foo.ani file.

#870 5 years ago

Did you try export for go-DMD under the recordings tab ?

#871 5 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Did you try export for go-DMD under the recordings tab ?

No I didn't before you asked,
but I just tried and no file was was created.

Actually there are a lot of options and I was hoping for some sort of guidance on how to export for foo.ini.

Here is a list of questions:

I expect that the first step is to load a project in the editor. for example I am working on colorization for Scared Stiff so I loaded this project.

When I export for DMD will it export all of the scenes that I have cut as part of my colorization work?

Otherwise, how would I choose what scenes will be exported?

How do I create a project with scenes from multiple games?

For the goDMD, there are some options - cycle, hold, fsk etc - what does each do?

When exporting for goDMD, there are some options - filename, I just entered foo.ani - is that OK.
RGB version - what is the difference between version 1 and version 2.

I am using editor version 2.5.05 32 bit.

#872 5 years ago

Hello
Do you put a film or something in front of the pin2dmd to avoid seeing individual leds?

I'd like to reduce a bit this effect

#873 5 years ago
Quoted from SteveNZ:

No I didn't before you asked,
but I just tried and no file was was created.
Actually there are a lot of options and I was hoping for some sort of guidance on how to export for foo.ini.
Here is a list of questions:
I expect that the first step is to load a project in the editor. for example I am working on colorization for Scared Stiff so I loaded this project.
When I export for DMD will it export all of the scenes that I have cut as part of my colorization work?
Otherwise, how would I choose what scenes will be exported?
How do I create a project with scenes from multiple games?
For the goDMD, there are some options - cycle, hold, fsk etc - what does each do?
When exporting for goDMD, there are some options - filename, I just entered foo.ani - is that OK.
RGB version - what is the difference between version 1 and version 2.
I am using editor version 2.5.05 32 bit.

I don´t thinks Steve is reading here, especially not about go-dmd. Please post your questions here
https://github.com/sker65/go-dmd-clock/issues

#874 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

Hello
Do you put a film or something in front of the pin2dmd to avoid seeing individual leds?
I'd like to reduce a bit this effect

As you can see here https://go-dmd.de/produkt/godmd-uhr-komplett/
use a non clear transparent acryl to reduce that effect.

#875 5 years ago

ok, thanks lucky1

#876 5 years ago

Has anyone had success getting color palettes to change in MET v1.80 code? I upgraded from 1.70 to 1.80 and I can't get any colors to load other than the "default" palette. All settings are the same - side channel, serial connection. Thanks.

#877 5 years ago
Quoted from dmieczko:

Has anyone had success getting color palettes to change in MET v1.80 code? I upgraded from 1.70 to 1.80 and I can't get any colors to load other than the "default" palette. All settings are the same - side channel, serial connection. Thanks.

roar uses the latest colorization in his metallica.

1 week later
#878 5 years ago

Hello to you
Here I made a shield in versions 4.02
Nucleo
I did not have the right micro player s.d.
Do you think I can adapt them?
I enclose a photo with
Sorry for my English Google translation
thank you

20190207_114812~2 (resized).jpg20190207_114812~2 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#880 5 years ago

lucky1 I got my pin2dmd display from Dom. It is a nice piece of work. I donated and received the key file, copied it to the microUSB card and it worked, thank you very much.

I have a couple of questions:

1. I'm running W10 and would like to update the .pal file to have better brightness to color mapping. The pin2dmd menu system has changed from the documentation. Is there still a way to map brightness to color using the menu? If not, how does one do the basic mapping configuration.

2. I am working on a Frankenstein for a friend. Has anyone colorized Frankenstein? I read that something was in the works, but nothing posted. Perhaps I am looking in the wrong area.

Thanks!

Henry

#881 5 years ago
Quoted from nworker:

2. I am working on a Frankenstein for a friend. Has anyone colorized Frankenstein? I read that something was in the works, but nothing posted. Perhaps I am looking in the wrong area.

http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/3702-mary-shelleys-frankenstein/

#882 5 years ago
Quoted from nworker:

1. I'm running W10 and would like to update the .pal file to have better brightness to color mapping. The pin2dmd menu system has changed from the documentation. Is there still a way to map brightness to color using the menu? If not, how does one do the basic mapping configuration.

Setting individual colors has never been part of the onscreen menu. You need to use the pin2dmd.exe tool from my github.

1 week later
#883 5 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Setting individual colors has never been part of the onscreen menu. You need to use the pin2dmd.exe tool from my github.

lucky1 Another newbe question: I am trying to install/run pin2dmd.exe on my windows 10 64 bit system. I downloaded the following files from your github:

boot.fsq
colorwheel.ppm
logo.ppm
msvcp110d.dll
msvcr110.dll
msvcr110d.dll
palettes_options_b.dat
pin2dmd.exe
pin2dmd-editor-v2
pin2dmd-editor-v2-64.exe
RGB-color-test.ppm

I've tried running all of the various exe files. The best I get is a splash screen of the editor, but nothing else. Could you slap some sense into me?

Thanks!

#884 5 years ago

Which OS are you running ?

#885 5 years ago

lucky1 Windows 10 64 Bit

#886 5 years ago

Did you also install the 64 bit version of Java runtime ? This is needed for pin2dmd-editor-v2-64.exe to work.
You can get it here https://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

pin2dmd.exe should work together with the DLLs you downloaded. To avoid broken downloads it is recommended to download the complete ZIP
which is available here https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD as an option of the green button on the upper right.

#887 5 years ago

looks like loading Java did the trick. I'll give it a good once over now that I got it running with your help!

2 weeks later
#888 5 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

I placed my last order here https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Factory-Direct-Wholesale-P2-5-indoor-led-display-module-P2-5-160-80-64-32-dots/1000001269484.html There is also a woman selling panels through facebook https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007277389143 but I never tried it.
You can use the 3 panels for a Sega 192x64 topper with a nucleo based controller.
I also just recently published my order information for all-in-one controller boards EVO128x32 manufactured at pcbway.com
It cost only 60 Euro each for a order of 10 boards including parts, soldering, shipping and tax. It is all in the zip file here https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/tree/master/hardware/EVO128x32
Technically these boards are based on the schematics of the latest Nucleo shield including a 5A DC/DC converter.
You only need the panels and solder panel power plugs to the pcb. Firmware installation is done through USB in DFU mode.
Here are some pictures.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Hello! Has anyone else successfully made to order the all-in-one controller boards EVO128x32 from pcbway? Even sharing lucky1's order information they don't seem to be able to supply them..

As an alternative, where can I buy the shields for the STM32F407 version?

Thanks!

#889 5 years ago
Quoted from Pesmerga:

I saw these when looking for shields.
https://www.tindie.com/products/Polyphemus/pin2dmd-godmd-v31-bare-blue-pcb/

#890 5 years ago

Does anyone know if there are places in europe where you can by a fully assembled (plug&play) kit? Alternatively one package containing everything needed?

I have one already that i ordered from german gaming supplies, but if possible i would like to order from some where else this time.

#891 5 years ago

Unfortunately that's not available.. any alternative??

#892 5 years ago
Quoted from Pesmerga:

Unfortunately that's not available.. any alternative??

You could download the V3 GERBER.zip from github and order a batch from from one of the online pcb places.

https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/tree/master/hardware/V3%20STM32F4%20DISCOVERY
https://jlcpcb.com/

#893 5 years ago
Quoted from Pesmerga:

Hello! Has anyone else successfully made to order the all-in-one controller boards EVO128x32 from pcbway? Even sharing lucky1's order information they don't seem to be able to supply them..
Thanks!

Who not ? Normally they ask two or three questions and then everthing goes well. Just send them the zip file and ask for a quote.
I know at least 10 people who sucessfully ordered evo128x32 at pcbways.

2 weeks later
#894 5 years ago

Built a goDMD using the VET6 controller. Thanks to SteveNZ for helping me through the whole process. Pretty nifty and it works well but lucky1 I can't say that it really works with 16-color animations the way it should. I find that it will not retain the palette assigned to the animation from the editor. It seems to want to use the same palette 0-pal0 (which is the default palette) for all the animations, so obviously all the colors are then incorrect. I could be doing something wrong but have tried everything I can think of with no luck. I have also tried to get a clue from @Steve45, but no response to emails so far.

Godmd (resized).JPGGodmd (resized).JPG
#895 5 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

Built a goDMD using the VET6 controller. Thanks to SteveNZ for helping me through the whole process. Pretty nifty and it works well but lucky1 I can't say that it really works with 16-color animations the way it should. I find that it will not retain the palette assigned to the animation from the editor. It seems to want to use the same palette 0-pal0 (which is the default palette) for all the animations, so obviously all the colors are then incorrect. I could be doing something wrong but have tried everything I can think of with no luck. I have also tried to get a clue from Steve45, but no response to emails so far.[quoted image]

go-dmd is completely the project of Steve45 and although some things in common it has nothing to do with pin2dmd. I only tested it once and never created any animations for it myself So I´m not the best person to ask questions about it. Steve is currently pretty busy with his new project https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rebuilding-sound-for-de-jurassic-park-using-a-pi/
So maybe it helps to hitchhike his thread to get his attention instead of a pin2dmd thread or you just ask here
https://www.flippermarkt.de/community/forum/threads/dmd-uhr-made-in-germany-bestell-und-infothread.153282/

#896 5 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

go-dmd is completely the project of Steve45 and although some things in common it has nothing to do with pin2dmd. I only tested it once and never created any animations for it myself So I´m not the best person to ask questions about it. Steve is currently pretty busy with his new project https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rebuilding-sound-for-de-jurassic-park-using-a-pi/
So maybe it helps to hitchhike his thread to get his attention instead of a pin2dmd thread or you just ask here
https://www.flippermarkt.de/community/forum/threads/dmd-uhr-made-in-germany-bestell-und-infothread.153282/

I got his attention already, but I can't do everything at the same time, so please be patient. Nice clock picture by the way ...
Br Steve

#897 5 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

Built a goDMD using the VET6 controller. Thanks to SteveNZ for helping me through the whole process. Pretty nifty and it works well but lucky1 I can't say that it really works with 16-color animations the way it should. I find that it will not retain the palette assigned to the animation from the editor. It seems to want to use the same palette 0-pal0 (which is the default palette) for all the animations, so obviously all the colors are then incorrect. I could be doing something wrong but have tried everything I can think of with no luck. I have also tried to get a clue from Steve45, but no response to emails so far.[quoted image]

Thinking a little longer about it I think I remember that go-dmd can handle full color animations. Maybe you can try to export the colored animation as a gif (you always need to select the number of pixels to make it work properly) and reimport it as a scene again. That should convert it to full color and maybe work with go-dmd.

#898 5 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Thinking a little longer about it I think I remember that go-dmd can handle full color animations. Maybe you can try to export the colored animation as a gif (you always need to select the number of pixels to make it work properly) and reimport it as a scene again. That should convert it to full color and maybe work with go-dmd.

It can definitely handle full-color (16-color) animations, they are just not the correct 16 colors. I notice goDMD only has a "foo.ani" file on the microSD, unlike Pin2DMD which has a "pin2dmd.fsq" and a "pin2dmd.pal" file. It might be that goDMD needs a similar palette file to retain the specific palette assignment to each animation. In any case, all I was trying to do was get steve45 to tell me whether my setup was the problem or the firmware was the problem, and he never really did (and still never has) answered, but I am beginning to surmise it must be the F/W. Anyway, I realize goDMD is not your project but you are always prompt to answer questions which I appreciate. I apologize for temporarily hijacking your thread. Keep up the good work on Pin2DMD.

Added over 5 years ago:

P.S.: I have moved this discussion to a new thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/godmd-vet6-true-color-animation-troubleshooting

#899 5 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

It can definitely handle full-color (16-color) animations, they are just not the correct 16 colors. I notice goDMD only has a "foo.ani" file on the microSD, unlike Pin2DMD which has a "pin2dmd.fsq" and a "pin2dmd.pal" file. It might be that goDMD needs a similar palette file to retain the specific palette assignment to each animation. In any case, all I was trying to do was get Steve45 to tell me whether my setup was the problem or the firmware was the problem, and he never really did (and still never has) answered, but I am beginning to surmise it must be the F/W. Anyway, I realize goDMD is not your project but you are always prompt to answer questions which I appreciate. I apologize for temporarily hijacking your thread. Keep up the good work on Pin2DMD.

Technically full color 24bit RGB and 16 shades mapped to a 16 color vga palette is something different. Like I said converting it to 24bit RGB with the above method may work. Please try.

#900 5 years ago

Converting to true color is easier in latest version of the editor. There's two menu commands available for convert one or all scenes to RGB.

But I will also look in the export you provided, ...

Br Steve

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 18.95
$ 63.95
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 29.99
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 33.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 85.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
There are 1,459 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 30.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stolen-pin2dmd-color-rgb-controller-from-pinballspcom/page/18 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.