PIN2DMD - LED color DMD solution for all machine types (incl 128x16)

(Topic ID: 153490)

PIN2DMD - LED color DMD solution for all machine types (incl 128x16)

By lucky1

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 893 posts
  • 96 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by lucky1
  • Topic is favorited by 85 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 315 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190207_114812~2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0486 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0484 (resized).jpg
    20181023_132142 (resized).jpg
    IMG_9742 (resized).jpg
    met-combo (resized).JPG
    met21 (resized).JPG
    met17 (resized).JPG
    39BB27B3-586D-4A9D-82E1-2384FBD7052F (resized).jpeg
    B22833F1-DDB7-4966-AAA4-CD88D198F7A6 (resized).jpeg
    E1D7DB53-88ED-41D8-9021-12475F319836 (resized).jpeg
    0C7F0880-8B85-485D-8A0A-6CC4455A99BA (resized).jpeg
    6C7CDE06-0BD4-43E7-95D8-B113F03961A8 (resized).jpeg
    7ED68715-7204-42B7-956C-3A751AF2F3CA (resized).jpeg
    AAE68C5D-5D8E-403A-9446-AC6601804867 (resized).jpeg
    E3492DC7-0731-49E8-9D00-0AD3112BF7E6 (resized).jpeg

There are 893 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 18.
    #851 5 months ago

Feature ideas for pin2dmd
    Shaker motor output where you can use frame Id to trigger shaker.

Output from the pin2dmd to the GI so that the pin2dmd can control rgb leds in the GI circuit.

#852 5 months ago
    Quoted from galaxian:

Feature ideas for pin2dmd
    Shaker motor output where you can use frame Id to trigger shaker.
    Output from the pin2dmd to the GI so that the pin2dmd can control rgb leds in the GI circuit.

This should be doable with pin2dmd event trigger output. You would need a secondard device (or controller board) that receives the serial commands and then controls a shaker or control rgb leds in GI.

Shaker control I've done based on RasPiSound already in my HS2 see here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rebuilding-sound-for-de-jurassic-park-using-a-pi/page/3#post-4562327

Br Steve

#853 5 months ago

Is there a different firmware for using in DE 128x16? I have a nucleo F429ZI with V4 shield and controller from Rapplebox. I have tested the the the nucleo and V4 shield in my LW3 and it works fine so my issue I'm guessing is in the controller board.
    Thanks for any help.

#854 5 months ago

What firmware version do you have installed on the nucleo? It looks like the 128x16 support started at 2.43. Did you configure the device mode to be DE 128x16 in the config menu on the unit?

20181023_132142 (resized).jpg

#855 5 months ago
    Quoted from latenite04:

What firmware version do you have installed on the nucleo? It looks like the 128x16 support started at 2.43. Did you configure the device mode to be DE 128x16 in the config menu on the unit?
    [quoted image]

You also need the 128x16 controller board. https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/tree/master/hardware/128x16%20CONTROLLER

#856 5 months ago

I knew I was missing something. I do have the latest firmware and your controller board but it looks like I need to configure the device mode. Thanks Lucky1!

1 week later
    #857 4 months ago

OK, I was planning to set 3 additional pin2dmd
    I just received the 64x64 but sadly these ones are a single device, not twice 64x32

So I have to purchase again.
    Any seller recommendations for europe/France shipment? AliExpress is still the best option?

And last but not least, what can I do with 3 panels 64x64??

#858 4 months ago
    Quoted from BENETNATH:

OK, I was planning to set 3 additional pin2dmd
    I just received the 64x64 but sadly these ones are a single device, not twice 64x32
    So I have to purchase again.
    Any seller recommendations for europe/France shipment? AliExpress is still the best option?
    And last but not least, what can I do with 3 panels 64x64??

I placed my last order here https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Factory-Direct-Wholesale-P2-5-indoor-led-display-module-P2-5-160-80-64-32-dots/1000001269484.html There is also a woman selling panels through facebook https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007277389143 but I never tried it.

You can use the 3 panels for a Sega 192x64 topper with a nucleo based controller.

I also just recently published my order information for all-in-one controller boards EVO128x32 manufactured at pcbway.com
    It cost only 60 Euro each for a order of 10 boards including parts, soldering, shipping and tax. It is all in the zip file here https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/tree/master/hardware/EVO128x32
    Technically these boards are based on the schematics of the latest Nucleo shield including a 5A DC/DC converter.
    You only need the panels and solder panel power plugs to the pcb. Firmware installation is done through USB in DFU mode.
    Here are some pictures.
    IMG_0484 (resized).jpgIMG_0486 (resized).jpg

#859 4 months ago

Thanks lucky, that's a good idea.
    Would you sell one board of your batch?

#860 4 months ago

All spare are already gone.

#861 4 months ago

Dear lucky

So I order 2 panels for eur 20 and 10 pcbs for eur 60, purchase a license and I am ready to go? No STM board or whatever is needed? The PCB looks like it is also a frame for the panels and can install direct in a Stern? Is also works with inframe coloring smartdmd?

#862 4 months ago

And 1 other question, can the same setup also be used for a go-dmd clock?

#863 4 months ago
    Quoted from Rensh:

Dear lucky
    So I order 2 panels for eur 20 and 10 pcbs for eur 60, purchase a license and I am ready to go? No STM board or whatever is needed? The PCB looks like it is also a frame for the panels and can install direct in a Stern? Is also works with inframe coloring smartdmd?

It is 60 Euro for each PCB with a minimum order quantatity of 10 pcbs at pcbway.com.
    It has the same features as the Nucleo shield solution (except Wifi) und supports 5V and 12V input power.

Quoted from Rensh:

And 1 other question, can the same setup also be used for a go-dmd clock?

Since go-dmd is not supported on the Nucleo shield, it is also not supported on the EVO board.

#864 4 months ago
    Quoted from lucky1:

It is 60 Euro for each PCB with a minimum order quantatity of 10 pcbs at pcbway.com.
    It has the same features as the Nucleo shield solution (except Wifi) und supports 5V and 12V input power.

Since go-dmd is not supported on the Nucleo shield, it is also not supported on the EVO board.

Even if it would be minor effort to port the latest firmware to the EVO board, it is still missing headers for (more or less) required peripherals like dht sensor, pir sensor, ir sensor also with neither wifi nor rtc even correct time will be a problem. So no goDMD support with this board.

Br Steve

#865 4 months ago

The EVO board is really purpose made for a Pinball DMD - virtual or real. Given the very specific setup for fixing and DMD size, there would be no point in adding all the required goDMD peripherals.

The best option for goDMD is the VET6 design. I built one recently - looks great, works great

I really like the functionality - time, date, temperature. relative humidity, and animations. Also you can set the text (time, date etc) to one colour or random and set the animations to another colour or random.

I like the fixed colour for text and random for the animations.

2 months later
    #867 55 days ago
    Quoted from SteveNZ:

I really like the functionality - time, date, temperature. relative humidity, and animations. Also you can set the text (time, date etc) to one colour or random and set the animations to another colour or random.

Can it display multi-color animations (i.e., 16-color replacement frames that were custom-colorized by the Pin2DMD editor)?

#868 55 days ago
    Quoted from sudsy7:

Can it display multi-color animations (i.e., 16-color replacement frames that were custom-colorized by the Pin2DMD editor)?

Yes

#869 54 days ago

Hi Lucky1 or Steve45,

is there any instructions on how to use the PIN2DMD editor to create animations for goDMD? There is good info for colorizing DMD animations, but I can't find any instructions on how to choose the animations and to then use those animations to create the foo.ani file.

#870 53 days ago

Did you try export for go-DMD under the recordings tab ?

#871 52 days ago
    Quoted from lucky1:

Did you try export for go-DMD under the recordings tab ?

No I didn't before you asked,
    but I just tried and no file was was created.

Actually there are a lot of options and I was hoping for some sort of guidance on how to export for foo.ini.

Here is a list of questions:

I expect that the first step is to load a project in the editor. for example I am working on colorization for Scared Stiff so I loaded this project.

When I export for DMD will it export all of the scenes that I have cut as part of my colorization work?

Otherwise, how would I choose what scenes will be exported?

How do I create a project with scenes from multiple games?

For the goDMD, there are some options - cycle, hold, fsk etc - what does each do?

When exporting for goDMD, there are some options - filename, I just entered foo.ani - is that OK.
    RGB version - what is the difference between version 1 and version 2.

I am using editor version 2.5.05 32 bit.

#872 52 days ago

Hello
    Do you put a film or something in front of the pin2dmd to avoid seeing individual leds?

I'd like to reduce a bit this effect

#873 52 days ago
    Quoted from SteveNZ:

No I didn't before you asked,
    but I just tried and no file was was created.
    Actually there are a lot of options and I was hoping for some sort of guidance on how to export for foo.ini.
    Here is a list of questions:
    I expect that the first step is to load a project in the editor. for example I am working on colorization for Scared Stiff so I loaded this project.
    When I export for DMD will it export all of the scenes that I have cut as part of my colorization work?
    Otherwise, how would I choose what scenes will be exported?
    How do I create a project with scenes from multiple games?
    For the goDMD, there are some options - cycle, hold, fsk etc - what does each do?
    When exporting for goDMD, there are some options - filename, I just entered foo.ani - is that OK.
    RGB version - what is the difference between version 1 and version 2.
    I am using editor version 2.5.05 32 bit.

I don´t thinks Steve is reading here, especially not about go-dmd. Please post your questions here
    https://github.com/sker65/go-dmd-clock/issues

#874 52 days ago
    Quoted from BENETNATH:

Hello
    Do you put a film or something in front of the pin2dmd to avoid seeing individual leds?
    I'd like to reduce a bit this effect

As you can see here https://go-dmd.de/produkt/godmd-uhr-komplett/
    use a non clear transparent acryl to reduce that effect.

#875 52 days ago

ok, thanks lucky1

#876 51 days ago

Has anyone had success getting color palettes to change in MET v1.80 code? I upgraded from 1.70 to 1.80 and I can't get any colors to load other than the "default" palette. All settings are the same - side channel, serial connection. Thanks.

#877 51 days ago
    Quoted from dmieczko:

Has anyone had success getting color palettes to change in MET v1.80 code? I upgraded from 1.70 to 1.80 and I can't get any colors to load other than the "default" palette. All settings are the same - side channel, serial connection. Thanks.

roar uses the latest colorization in his metallica.

1 week later
    #878 43 days ago

Hello to you
    Here I made a shield in versions 4.02
    Nucleo
    I did not have the right micro player s.d.
    Do you think I can adapt them?
    I enclose a photo with
    Sorry for my English Google translation
    thank you

20190207_114812~2 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #880 36 days ago

lucky1 I got my pin2dmd display from Dom. It is a nice piece of work. I donated and received the key file, copied it to the microUSB card and it worked, thank you very much.

I have a couple of questions:

1. I'm running W10 and would like to update the .pal file to have better brightness to color mapping. The pin2dmd menu system has changed from the documentation. Is there still a way to map brightness to color using the menu? If not, how does one do the basic mapping configuration.

2. I am working on a Frankenstein for a friend. Has anyone colorized Frankenstein? I read that something was in the works, but nothing posted. Perhaps I am looking in the wrong area.

Thanks!

Henry

#881 35 days ago
    Quoted from nworker:

2. I am working on a Frankenstein for a friend. Has anyone colorized Frankenstein? I read that something was in the works, but nothing posted. Perhaps I am looking in the wrong area.

http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/3702-mary-shelleys-frankenstein/

#882 35 days ago
    Quoted from nworker:

1. I'm running W10 and would like to update the .pal file to have better brightness to color mapping. The pin2dmd menu system has changed from the documentation. Is there still a way to map brightness to color using the menu? If not, how does one do the basic mapping configuration.

Setting individual colors has never been part of the onscreen menu. You need to use the pin2dmd.exe tool from my github.

1 week later
    #883 23 days ago
    Quoted from lucky1:

Setting individual colors has never been part of the onscreen menu. You need to use the pin2dmd.exe tool from my github.

lucky1 Another newbe question: I am trying to install/run pin2dmd.exe on my windows 10 64 bit system. I downloaded the following files from your github:

boot.fsq
    colorwheel.ppm
    logo.ppm
    msvcp110d.dll
    msvcr110.dll
    msvcr110d.dll
    palettes_options_b.dat
    pin2dmd.exe
    pin2dmd-editor-v2
    pin2dmd-editor-v2-64.exe
    RGB-color-test.ppm

I've tried running all of the various exe files. The best I get is a splash screen of the editor, but nothing else. Could you slap some sense into me?

Thanks!

#884 22 days ago

Which OS are you running ?

#885 22 days ago

lucky1 Windows 10 64 Bit

#886 22 days ago

Did you also install the 64 bit version of Java runtime ? This is needed for pin2dmd-editor-v2-64.exe to work.
    You can get it here https://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

pin2dmd.exe should work together with the DLLs you downloaded. To avoid broken downloads it is recommended to download the complete ZIP
    which is available here https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD as an option of the green button on the upper right.

#887 22 days ago

looks like loading Java did the trick. I'll give it a good once over now that I got it running with your help!

2 weeks later
    #888 2 days ago
    Quoted from lucky1:

I placed my last order here https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Factory-Direct-Wholesale-P2-5-indoor-led-display-module-P2-5-160-80-64-32-dots/1000001269484.html There is also a woman selling panels through facebook https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007277389143 but I never tried it.
    You can use the 3 panels for a Sega 192x64 topper with a nucleo based controller.
    I also just recently published my order information for all-in-one controller boards EVO128x32 manufactured at pcbway.com
    It cost only 60 Euro each for a order of 10 boards including parts, soldering, shipping and tax. It is all in the zip file here https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/tree/master/hardware/EVO128x32
    Technically these boards are based on the schematics of the latest Nucleo shield including a 5A DC/DC converter.
    You only need the panels and solder panel power plugs to the pcb. Firmware installation is done through USB in DFU mode.
    Here are some pictures.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Hello! Has anyone else successfully made to order the all-in-one controller boards EVO128x32 from pcbway? Even sharing lucky1's order information they don't seem to be able to supply them..

As an alternative, where can I buy the shields for the STM32F407 version?

Thanks!

#889 2 days ago
    Quoted from Pesmerga:

I saw these when looking for shields.
    https://www.tindie.com/products/Polyphemus/pin2dmd-godmd-v31-bare-blue-pcb/

#890 2 days ago

Does anyone know if there are places in europe where you can by a fully assembled (plug&play) kit? Alternatively one package containing everything needed?

I have one already that i ordered from german gaming supplies, but if possible i would like to order from some where else this time.

#891 1 day ago

Unfortunately that's not available.. any alternative??

#892 1 day ago
    Quoted from Pesmerga:

Unfortunately that's not available.. any alternative??

You could download the V3 GERBER.zip from github and order a batch from from one of the online pcb places.

https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/tree/master/hardware/V3%20STM32F4%20DISCOVERY
    https://jlcpcb.com/

#893 1 day ago
    Quoted from Pesmerga:

Hello! Has anyone else successfully made to order the all-in-one controller boards EVO128x32 from pcbway? Even sharing lucky1's order information they don't seem to be able to supply them..
    Thanks!

Who not ? Normally they ask two or three questions and then everthing goes well. Just send them the zip file and ask for a quote.
    I know at least 10 people who sucessfully ordered evo128x32 at pcbways.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 19.99
    $ 249.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Great American Pinball
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 12.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    € 8.10
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 144.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    The MOD Couple
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 6.95
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 2,000.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 27.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 159.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 36.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    There are 893 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 18.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside