(Topic ID: 153490)

PIN2DMD - LED color DMD for all resolutions (128x32, 128x16, 192x64 and 256x64)

By lucky1

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Slippifishi Files (resized).png
CFTBL Corrupt Files (resized).png
CFTBL Current Files (resized).png
IMG_2849.jpeg
A8AEA534-F3BD-4919-B78E-7D1AB6B96097 (resized).jpeg
F43E1532-CFC7-4AAC-97C5-03E3AA12C585 (resized).jpeg
EA68A705-4AB3-4D9E-9C8D-E1D46F77C48E (resized).jpeg
ABBFB05F-1655-4F97-B947-9553F6E41B1E (resized).jpeg
board (resized).PNG
display (resized).jpg
1734D102-06BB-46F8-8907-BEE132F0FC91 (resized).jpeg
D4D83DAE-308F-4D55-AA77-AA4475620FBB (resized).png
46772C85-ACBC-4980-B0F4-992A927A2346 (resized).jpeg
Untitled (resized).png
7F9951E5-173C-498B-8921-96D54E268C47 (resized).jpeg

There are 1,459 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 30.
#801 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Thanks - the info I was looking for was about the v4 shield, how do I order that. The other parts I am familiar with. Looks like I can order some from the VPUniverse site; I saw a couple of threads about it there. Thank you!

Just ordered a diy kit for the shield with wifi... was 60 bucks... the frame was 15 (no idea if i’ll need it but would rather get now than pay shipping twice)

Panels cost me about 45 shipped.
Need to order my power supply still (15)

Oh and the controller board i got from Digikey for 35ish shipped

All said and done with shipping everything it is going to run me about $180....

Unfortunately doesn’t look like there are any TZ colorization projects out there so will probably just tinker with it... I think I’ll set a black and white color palette, that should be easy enough and look good for that game.

#802 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Just ordered a diy kit for the shield with wifi... was 60 bucks... the frame was 15 (no idea if i’ll need it but would rather get now than pay shipping twice)
Panels cost me about 45 shipped.
Need to order my power supply still (15)
Oh and the controller board i got from Digikey for 35ish shipped
All said and done with shipping everything it is going to run me about $180....
Unfortunately doesn’t look like there are any TZ colorization projects out there so will probably just tinker with it... I think I’ll set a black and white color palette, that should be easy enough and look good for that game.

Beat me to it!

1 week later
#803 6 years ago

Sold off my last old DMD game and I have a 128x32 panel and a RGB.DMD board. Trying to figure out what panels are going for now so I can knock off enough to make it worth someone's while. and if anyone is interested int he RGB.DMD board from ecurtz. Or if I should just keep it.

#804 6 years ago

Just ordered a set of two 64x32 from Ali for 45 shipped... i think you can get them for as little as 35 if you buy in the 64x64 configuration and separate yourself.

1 month later
#805 6 years ago

Hi,
I'm quite new to this.
Is this possible to order a plug n play color DMD for a Super Mario Bros Pinball?
Thanx!

#806 6 years ago
Quoted from stf_dnx:

Hi,
I'm quite new to this.
Is this possible to order a plug n play color DMD for a Super Mario Bros Pinball?
Thanx!

There are no commercial colorizations for PIN2DMD. PIN2DMD is a community project.
To enjoy your SMB in color you need the hardware which is available as a kit from various suppliers,
then you need a activation key for the PIN2DMD software and the colorization from
here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin2dmd-colorization-of-super-mario-bros

Read more on pin2dmd.com and on vpuniverse.com

#807 6 years ago

First off, thanks to all for the hard work on this project!

Like the poster above, I want to clarify/confirm how to order the kits. Is this the correct link to buy a kit in the US?

http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/2250-pin2dmd-order-thread-worldwide/

Then of course the actual panels need to be purchased separately, is this correct?

e.g.

ebay.com link: 1x P2 5 RGB pixel panel HD video display 64x32 dots pixels module dot matrix SMD

Sorry, I am just confused as to which is the most current order method and want to confirm, and haven't made it through the threads on the vpforums.

#808 6 years ago

If anyone want's a completed DMD hit me up. I'n in Australia but have one to sell. It's coloured for Tron but obviously can be changed.

#809 6 years ago
Quoted from setzkor:

Like the poster above, I want to clarify/confirm how to order the kits. Is this the correct link to buy a kit in the US?
Then of course the actual panels need to be purchased separately, is this correct?
e.g.
ebay.com link » 1x P2 5 Rgb Pixel Panel Hd Video Display 64x32 Dots Pixels Module Dot Matrix Smd
Sorry, I am just confused as to which is the most current order method and want to confirm, and haven't made it through the threads on the vpforums.

From my side PIN2DMD is a DIY project and I only provide the technical details to build the hardware and take care about the software (www.pin2dmd.com).
Some members of the community offer help for those who don´t want or are not able to build the hardware themselves.
One of those is UncleSash from the link above who solders the pcbs in his spare time.
There are also others like Ozstick from Australia, Rappelbox from Germany, PinballSP from Spain (DMDST32), Pinballshop.nl from Netherlands, v-pin shop from germany just to name a few of them. Feel free to contact any of those.

#810 6 years ago

I'm sure whomever you order from can pre-load the Super Mario files for you.

#811 6 years ago
Quoted from setzkor:

e.g.
ebay.com link » 1x P2 5 Rgb Pixel Panel Hd Video Display 64x32 Dots Pixels Module Dot Matrix Smd

Yes, PM Sascha (UncleSash) on VPUniverse and tell him which combo you want. They are on version 4 of the boards, and I think there are 6 different options to choose from. He will tell you how much including shipping and you pay him.

2 weeks later
#812 5 years ago

Speaking of which, has anyone heard from UncleSash lately? I’ve sent him a couple messages and it’s been about a month. Is he still out of the country? I’m looking to buy several kits

#813 5 years ago

Im waiting on Sash for my XL panel :/

#814 5 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

Im waiting on Sash for my XL panel :/

Surely he’s busy - I’m still waiting to get acknowledgement he saw my message, and a final total to PayPal him

1 month later
#815 5 years ago

Has Uncle Sash surfaced? I'd like to buy some shields.

#817 5 years ago

I have one DIY PIN2DMD set for my pincab.
I wanted to put it in my Indiana jones Williams.
I've updated to last firmware and set to williams. But i had no sd card, not mandatory for pincab.
When i connect the pin2dmd to my pinball, it displays only pin2dmd bally/williams.
Can you confirm that i just need the sdcard, with key and palette ?
Everything is connected with dupont cables.

#818 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

I have one DIY PIN2DMD set for my pincab.
I wanted to put it in my Indiana jones Williams.
I've updated to last firmware and set to williams. But i had no sd card, not mandatory for pincab.
When i connect the pin2dmd to my pinball, it displays only pin2dmd bally/williams.
Can you confirm that i just need the sdcard, with key and palette ?
Everything is connected with dupont cables.

Since it is DIY please make some pictures. Maybe you forgot some necessary components or made a mistake with the riboon cable orientation. Should work without SD card with built in palettes

4 months later
#819 5 years ago

Need to ask some help. I received files to try real colorized project on a pinball machine with a pin2dmd display. But it has been time since I have used Pin2DMD and I cannot remember to which wires I was supposed to put the splice-terminals in order to rob power for the Pin2DMD display. Could you please upload some pics showing the correct wires to where to hook pin2dmd to get power from a WPC95-machine? Thanks!

#820 5 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Need to ask some help. I received files to try real colorized project on a pinball machine with a pin2dmd display. But it has been time since I have used Pin2DMD and I cannot remember to which wires I was supposed to put the splice-terminals in order to rob power for the Pin2DMD display. Could you please upload some pics showing the correct wires to where to hook pin2dmd to get power from a WPC95-machine? Thanks!

J138, 139 140 and 141 on WPC95 will give you 12VDC. pins 2 and 3.

#821 5 years ago
Quoted from SteveNZ:

J138, 139 140 and 141 on WPC95 will give you 12VDC. pins 2 and 3.

Thank you. I also found this on PinballSP:s post on other forum:
https://i.servimg.com/u/f35/19/51/27/33/wpc95_12.jpg

I actually think I used J605 the last time.

#822 5 years ago

I didn't follow the whole development but is the DMD from PinballSP the same as Pin2DMD? Is it compatible with each other? I have a Pin2DMD but still not put in my VPin - I wonder if software developments from PinballSP also work on Pin2DMD. All in all it would be wise if all color DMD developments would be compatible with each other...

#823 5 years ago
Quoted from ClarkKent:

I didn't follow the whole development but is the DMD from PinballSP the same as Pin2DMD? Is it compatible with each other? I have a Pin2DMD but still not put in my VPin - I wonder if software developments from PinballSP also work on Pin2DMD. All in all it would be wise if all color DMD developments would be compatible with each other...

SP is a different entity, just like Color DMD is. SP could make Pin2DMD stuff work with his stuff, but I don't think Pin2DMD will make the effort to be SP compatible. Truth be told I don't want all the work I've done for pin2dmd to be used with his hardware, he's been a real asshole to me. I have a Pin2DMD in my T2 and my LW3, and there's one going in my vpin too. With freezys/luckys DLL(s) the colorizations work on the pin2dmd too. I just wish they were easier to buy, which is one thing ColorDMD has down pat.

#824 5 years ago

You may be right but on the other hand it would be a great benefit for users if all DMD developments would be compatible with each other

#825 5 years ago
Quoted from ClarkKent:

You may be right but on the other hand it would be a great benefit for users if all DMD developments would be compatible with each other

Well some people have more right to say about it than others who just want to reap the rewards....

#826 5 years ago
Quoted from ClarkKent:

I'll be on board with you as soon as SP and ColorDMD are compatible.

#827 5 years ago

just joined the pin2dmd club - it's awesome in my VP. Waiting for my activation file....

#828 5 years ago

PinballSP was previously making and selling PIN2DMD. He is the one that jumped ship and decided to do his own incompatible thing. He didn't like the fact that he could not sell a true plug and play solution because his buyers were required to donate to charity to activate it

#829 5 years ago
Quoted from gtxjoe:

PinballSP was previously making and selling PIN2DMD. He is the one that jumped ship and decided to do his own incompatible thing. He didn't like the fact that he could not sell a true plug and play solution because his buyers were required to donate to charity to activate it

Yup now his buyers just get a crappy product that offers about 20% of the features of the competition! nice one pinballSP! and he will steal all the current coloured games and lock any games that get coloured using his software (which i predict will be ZERO as who will bother??)

But dont worry his product has a new arm7 processor!! that he probably uses about 2% of its capabilities! whole thing is a complete joke.

1 week later
#830 5 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Since it is DIY please make some pictures. Maybe you forgot some necessary components or made a mistake with the riboon cable orientation. Should work without SD card with built in palettes

Hello, i finally moved to a shield from germangamingsupplies.
But the issue is the same.

So basically, i've got a real indiana jones WMS (rom L7), working well with the genuine DMD but want to put a PIN2DMD to get rid of some missing lines, and may be get color !
I've got a PIN2DMD with the shield, working well when connected in usb with VPX.
I have put via pin2dmd.exe through usb the pin2dmd.pal from ij_l7.dmc on the sd card (FAT formatted)
the SD card is correctly working as config saves are working.

But when i plug the PIN2DMD to the IJ, it's not working. It stays on BALLY/WILLIAMS
I've got a blinking LED every second on the ST card, two red LED.
The config and menu buttons are working well on the shield,as well as power LED.

Any idea ?
I've pasted some pics here : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1i6f0MMddCNHAs7d7CgcYDXiQxZ3RyFdS

What could be the reason, is there a soldering guide to be sure about component orientation?

Thank you for your help !!

#831 5 years ago

Did you activate your pin2dmd? Did you put the key file on the SD card?

#832 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

What could be the reason, is there a soldering guide to be sure about component orientation?

You are missing the enhancer (ENH) pinheader next to the LS123. You need to make a connection from pin 2 to 3 of the pinheader with a jumper or solder a wire bridge from 2 to 3.

#833 5 years ago

Thanks,
but that did not fix the issue.

it is activated, and i have tried with enhancer off or on.
I've added pictures to the folder.
2 red LEDs and the LD1 blinking on ST card.

any idea ?

#834 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

Hello, i finally moved to a shield from germangamingsupplies.
But the issue is the same.
So basically, i've got a real indiana jones WMS (rom L7), working well with the genuine DMD but want to put a PIN2DMD to get rid of some missing lines, and may be get color !
I've got a PIN2DMD with the shield, working well when connected in usb with VPX.
I have put via pin2dmd.exe through usb the pin2dmd.pal from ij_l7.dmc on the sd card (FAT formatted)
the SD card is correctly working as config saves are working.
But when i plug the PIN2DMD to the IJ, it's not working. It stays on BALLY/WILLIAMS
I've got a blinking LED every second on the ST card, two red LED.
The config and menu buttons are working well on the shield,as well as power LED.
Any idea ?
I've pasted some pics here : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1i6f0MMddCNHAs7d7CgcYDXiQxZ3RyFdS

Check if your flatbed cable has its No1 (red strand) pin on the correct side of the controller board in your backbox. This is the most common mistake if the shield is working properly itself.

#835 5 years ago

If i switch the ribbon, the whole pin GI goes off, seems not a good idea..

#836 5 years ago

Did you buy the parts yourself ? Maybe the wrong resistor network ?
Please go into the onscreen menu by holding a button on the shield (not the controller)
during boot and test the input. Should say all pins open when no pinball connected.
You can test the pins by connecting pins 1,3,5,7,11 to GND one after the other
The enhancer setting on the shield needs to match the setting in the pin2dmd.exe tool.

#837 5 years ago

Have you checked the bottom side if all points are soldered, especially input side.
What I can see from the pictures is that the components seem to be correct.

#838 5 years ago

Parts were provided with the shield.
I'll test input

#839 5 years ago

Yes ! It works now
I had a bad solder on pin 3, test mode helped a lot.

Indiana jones is great in 4 color. I can't wait to get a colorized version. I have seen one ongoing effort.

Thanks for your quick answers and this wonderful dmd.

#840 5 years ago

I have had an issue develop that I hope someone can help me on. I have a older generation running on a Discovery board that I use in a test kit for repairing DE boards. It has run perfect for a couple of years. The other day it started not booting up with external power. On the Discovery board, the red led near the micro USB plug is not lit up and the blue led in the center is not lit up. If I plug the mini USB plug it boot up and works fine and the above lights illuminate. The weird thing is that once the system is up and running, I can unplug the mini USB and it continues to operate normally with the external power. It seems as the board is needing a "jolt" from the usb to boot and then it runs fine without it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

#841 5 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

I have had an issue develop that I hope someone can help me on. I have a older generation running on a Discovery board that I use in a test kit for repairing DE boards. It has run perfect for a couple of years. The other day it started not booting up with external power. On the Discovery board, the red led near the micro USB plug is not lit up and the blue led in the center is not lit up. If I plug the mini USB plug it boot up and works fine and the above lights illuminate. The weird thing is that once the system is up and running, I can unplug the mini USB and it continues to operate normally with the external power. It seems as the board is needing a "jolt" from the usb to boot and then it runs fine without it.
Any ideas?
Thanks

From https://pin2dmd.com/installation/

!! Note : Latest Discovery boards MB997D may need a ST-Link firmware update from here
http://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/embedded-software/development-tool-software/stsw-link007.html

#842 5 years ago

one additional question.
I've seen that for Stern, rom needs to be patched to work with colorization.
But will the rom still work well without a pin2DMD ? eg. i flash the patched-rom on Shrek, i play with pin2DMD, but if i want to switch back, shall i flash again the non-patched rom ?

#843 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

one additional question.
I've seen that for Stern, rom needs to be patched to work with colorization.
But will the rom still work well without a pin2DMD ? eg. i flash the patched-rom on Shrek, i play with pin2DMD, but if i want to switch back, shall i flash again the non-patched rom ?

The monochromatic shades might look different a little bit but it will work with the patched ROM

#844 5 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

The monochromatic shades might look different a little bit but it will work with the patched ROM

If Inframe coloring is selected for sure the shades will look different. If sidechannel is used I suspect to that it will look the same. Does pin2dmd support inframe coloring?

#845 5 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

If Inframe coloring is selected for sure the shades will look different. If sidechannel is used I suspect to that it will look the same. Does pin2dmd support inframe coloring?

Yes it supports inframe and serial side channel.

#846 5 years ago

Thanks !

EDIT : and it's a SUCCESS
gorgeous , pics here : https://photos.app.goo.gl/UDVrAcew7dyaf8g49

I'm gonna buy some more, when colorization arises. but LOTR would be great with a 4 color palette at least, and simpson party ..

#847 5 years ago

That was it. All working now. I didn’t think about it just starting when I updated the solftware.

Thanks.

#848 5 years ago

I ordered a large Color DMD in September and have not received the part.

Hello Henry,

Your payment was received and we will arrange shipment shortly.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Kind regards,
Dominik Dancsó
www.GermanGamingSupplies.com

I contacted Dominik and got the following reply:

Hello Henry,

I’ll check your order and come back to you shorty.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Kind regards,
Dominik Dancsó
www.GermanGamingSupplies.com

Crickets after that first response. I have sent multiple emails, called the phone numbers and still no response. I have a project waiting on the part and I am frustrated and cranky.

#849 5 years ago

Hi Henry,

sorry to hear that. This thread is about the DIY PIN2DMD project. Steve and I have no relationship to any of the suppliers offering hardware for our project. They all take the information from our website and github repository to put the pieces together just like all the private builders of PIN2DMDs. I hope that you receive your hardware soon. Maybe this thread from the shop owner is the better place to get his attention.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-needs-a-sega-192x64-replacement

#850 5 years ago

Thank you for the pointer. It is confusing as his website's tag line is: Home of PIN2DMD and PinMoC Hardware.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winter Garden, FL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.
Interactive
12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Springfield, IL
$ 125.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
2,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations
Other
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz
Other
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
There are 1,459 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 30.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stolen-pin2dmd-color-rgb-controller-from-pinballspcom/page/17 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.