(Topic ID: 153490)

PIN2DMD - LED color DMD for all resolutions (128x32, 128x16, 192x64 and 256x64)

By lucky1

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Slippifishi Files (resized).png
CFTBL Corrupt Files (resized).png
CFTBL Current Files (resized).png
IMG_2849.jpeg
A8AEA534-F3BD-4919-B78E-7D1AB6B96097 (resized).jpeg
F43E1532-CFC7-4AAC-97C5-03E3AA12C585 (resized).jpeg
EA68A705-4AB3-4D9E-9C8D-E1D46F77C48E (resized).jpeg
ABBFB05F-1655-4F97-B947-9553F6E41B1E (resized).jpeg
board (resized).PNG
display (resized).jpg
1734D102-06BB-46F8-8907-BEE132F0FC91 (resized).jpeg
D4D83DAE-308F-4D55-AA77-AA4475620FBB (resized).png
46772C85-ACBC-4980-B0F4-992A927A2346 (resized).jpeg
Untitled (resized).png
7F9951E5-173C-498B-8921-96D54E268C47 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,459 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 30.
#701 6 years ago
Quoted from vbobrusev:

» YouTube video
Colorization for pin2dmd finished!
Hi,
I´m proud to present The Simpsons Pinball Party PIN2DMD colorization project which I started 2 months ago for my own pinball machine.
I never did anything like this before and I had to learn a lot how to get it done in the quality i wanted to have. One of the biggest
parts was to make all the recordings, using the pin2dmd tool, containing all the scenes of a gameplay. After all the time I have spent on this, I must admit that I would rather have paid somebody else 15-20$ to get a ready to use colorization, instead of doing it by myself.
That is why I ask you to support my job and if you want to have a copy of my work please make a donation by using this link
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=JLRAHFTD23UKU
I will send you 2 files you simply need to copy on the SD card and put it into your pin2dmd. I will also send you updates automatically
if available. Out of respect for my work and as a motivation for future projects, I kindly ask you not to forward these files to other users.
Please also report me if you get my work offered from other sources. Thank you !!
PIN2DMD firmware version 2.38 or later and Display ROM v5.0 in english is recommended, since all my work is based on this version
If you find any uncolorized scenes, or bugs, let me know, how you got it, or send me recordings / videos.

Wouldn't want anyone stealing your hard work, right. Hey wait, you are selling Copyright material that you just colored over. This is illegal. Funny how you don't want people giving away your work for free but you are happy to profit off someone else's work.

#702 6 years ago
Quoted from Elwood_BE:

Hello,
I have a problem with my display.
It worked fine during two or three months but now when it is started:
I have a first screen with "pin2dmd colorprism v2.33"
A second one with "pin2dmd Bally/Williams"
This second screen is displayed until I turn on my pinball machine.
And when I turn on my pinball machine, the second screen dissapears and nothing else is displayed.
I recreated the SD card & I upgraded firmware to V2.39 but same result.
If I change the color in the config file, it is changed in the two first screens. Thus, the SD card seems OK.
I tested my display in two different pinball machines that work both with a standard DMD.
Any clues to solve my problem ?
Thank you.

There seems to be no data coming from the pinball machine. Check the pixel data signal. Contact the person you got your pin2dmd hardware from.

#703 6 years ago
Quoted from Elwood_BE:

I tested my display in two different pinball machines that work both with a standard DMD.

Based on this it doesn't seem to be an issue with the game. Elwood are you using the Discovery board and shield solution from Rappelbox? If so I ran into this issue which is a design problem with the signal enhancer circuit not working.

#704 6 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Based on this it doesn't seem to be an issue with the game. Elwood are you using the Discovery board and shield solution from Rappelbox? If so I ran into this issue which is a design problem with the signal enhancer circuit not working.

This issue has been fixed a longer time ago...

#705 6 years ago

What is the LED status on the controller board ? Any LEDs blinking fast ? If possible make a video of the LEDs

#706 6 years ago

Thank you for your help.
I will make a video this afternoon.

I have the black card from Luis.

#707 6 years ago

I'm new to this product so bare with me. What I've read though I'm confused as to the intention.

Is it mainly used for virtual pins to colorize (similar to color dmd effect) or is it also used in real pinballs? If the latter, is it just a price point question then b/w color dmd and this? As for virtual pins, is it as simple as install and then install files so it can display all games in full color?

#708 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I'm new to this product so bare with me. What I've read though I'm confused as to the intention.
Is it mainly used for virtual pins to colorize (similar to color dmd effect) or is it also used in real pinballs? If the latter, is it just a price point question then b/w color dmd and this? As for virtual pins, is it as simple as install and then install files so it can display all games in full color?

You get a compact overview of all it's capabilities on pin2dmd.com

It is capable of both, virtual and real pinball machines.

There are several machines already colorized with pinball browser and pin2dmd-editor.
Each device has several modes.

Single color mode:
-8 predefined palettes

Single palette mode:
-you predefine a single palette of 4 to 16 colors/shades depending on what type of game you have (B/W 4 colors, Stern 16 colors)

Complex colorization:
-can be achieved by either using pinball browser or pin2dmd-editor

this was just a very short overview

Greetings,
Dom

#709 6 years ago
Quoted from vbobrusev:

I will send you 2 files you simply need to copy on the SD card and put it into your pin2dmd. I will also send you updates automatically
if available. Out of respect for my work and as a motivation for future projects, I kindly ask you not to forward these files to other users.
Please also report me if you get my work offered from other sources. Thank you !!
PIN2DMD firmware version 2.38 or later and Display ROM v5.0 in english is recommended, since all my work is based on this version
If you find any uncolorized scenes, or bugs, let me know, how you got it, or send me recordings / videos.

Quoted from Taxman:

Wouldn't want anyone stealing your hard work, right. Hey wait, you are selling Copyright material that you just colored over. This is illegal. Funny how you don't want people giving away your work for free but you are happy to profit off someone else's work.

I'm not familiar with using PIN2DMD, but I understood these were just some palette/color/index files that don't contain anything from the ROMs. What is the copyright material you are referring to?

Is there a more proper way to distribute colorization without copyright material?

#710 6 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

I'm not familiar with using PIN2DMD, but I understood these were just some palette/color/index files that don't contain anything from the ROMs. What is the copyright material you are referring to?
Is there a more proper way to distribute colorization without copyright material?

Doing the 4 color pallets and things is not illegal, but it looks like garbage.

What vbobrusev is "selling" is actually artwork taken from the game using the pinball browser software, colored and repackaged. This is illegal. It is not for personal use only when distributed, when sold it becomes a big deal. While the virtual world was pretty much ignored in the past this is now being placed on hardware going into actual Stern machines.

Correction: Is illegal in the United States. He is not in the US and I have no idea if there are any repercussions outside the US.

#711 6 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Doing the 4 color pallets and things is not illegal, but it looks like garbage.

So are you saying there's not a way to generate color files with more than 4 colors and just distribute those that a user can apply to the data from his own ROMs?

What vbobrusev is "selling" is actually artwork taken from the game using the pinball browser software, colored and repackaged. This is illegal.

Is this the only way to get more than 4 colors? Is there no way to distribute this kind of customization separate from the image data?

#712 6 years ago

You must distribute the bitmap images (copyrighted content) if you want more than 4 colors. Because instead of telling PIN2DMD to use a color for each shade, you are instead telling it to replace the frame with another piece of content entirely. There are 4 shades built into the original display architecture. If you want to exceed 4 colors you must import colorized (modified) custom frames (copyrighted content).

#713 6 years ago

I have not looked at any of this code but I think it would be possible to detect a frame without actually including it into the distributed material. Thus avoiding any copyright.

#714 6 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I have not looked at any of this code but I think it would be possible to detect a frame without actually including it into the distributed material. Thus avoiding any copyright.

That is the basis for the ColorDMD patent.

#715 6 years ago

Oh right, I forgot you can patent anything in the US. Not that I blame ColorDMD for wanting to protect their work. But they should not be able to stop people from working and sharing stuff for free. The idea of patenting the detection of an image or frame is pretty silly, it's everywhere.

#716 6 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

You must distribute the bitmap images (copyrighted content) if you want more than 4 colors. Because instead of telling PIN2DMD to use a color for each shade, you are instead telling it to replace the frame with another piece of content entirely. There are 4 shades built into the original display architecture. If you want to exceed 4 colors you must import colorized (modified) custom frames (copyrighted content).

That is not true. With colmask editing mode the pin2dmd editor from Steve is actually saving only the additional content generated with the pin2dmd editor and not the original content in the real pin exports. Only in replacement mode it is storing the complete picture information. So only if you take the original picture as a basis for your colorizations in replacement mode you are distributing copyrighted content in your real pin export. If you create your own (e.g. retheme) or use colmask you definitely don´t.
If you use pinball browser from Oga84 to colorize Stern games it is the same. It only stores the changes made to the picture in the generated pbm file.

Quoted from Darscot:

Oh right, I forgot you can patent anything in the US. Not that I blame ColorDMD for wanting to protect their work. But they should not be able to stop people from working and sharing stuff for free. The idea of patenting the detection of an image or frame is pretty silly, it's everywhere.

Detecting data pattern by the use of checksums is common knowledge and not patentable. I doubt that any part of the code in pin2dmd is covered by the colorDMD (US only) patent and as long as there is no court decision to the contrary any additional discussion about it is absolutely senseless.

PIN2DMD is not made to be a cheap DIY colorDMD alternative. It is meant for those that want to have unique colorizations, owners of machines that most likely never will be done or V-Pin owners.

#717 6 years ago

Even if you replace frames with colorized ones I don't think you are technically storing any copyrighted info because the original info was a greyscale in 3 shades and your really only storing a fully colorized version of that, not the greyscale original version. Probably would have to talk to a lawyer if you really cared, personally I don't. I can buy the parts to build 3 pin2dmds for the price of 1 colordmd and if people start releasing more and more colorizations I will build more and more of them. The editor has improved so much over the past year and even the past month that I am excited to see some more colorizations using the editor. Great job on the project and keep up the good work!

#718 6 years ago
Quoted from tjc02002:

I can buy the parts to build 3 pin2dmds for the price of 1 colordmd and if people start releasing more and more colorizations I will build more and more of them.

Thank you for debunking Lucky1's previous post, and exposing the Pin2DMD project for what it is.

Quoted from lucky1:

PIN2DMD is not made to be a cheap DIY colorDMD alternative. It is meant for those that want to have unique colorizations, owners of machines that most likely never will be done or V-Pin owners.

The same group behind the Pin2DMD (Lucky1, Steve, and Rappelbox) has also worked to create knockoffs of PinDMD, the Run-DMD clock, and Pinsound.

If you respect the time, investment, innovation, and contributions of these original projects, please support the businesses created to bring them to market and provide for future development. We really do appreciate it!

#719 6 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Thank you for debunking Lucky1's previous post, and exposing the Pin2DMD project for what it is.

To be fair, the project was clearly started as a virtual pinball solution but upgraded to also work using real pinball signal input. I really like colordmd but I can't spend $400 on my $2000 pinball machine just to make the screen look cool(I realize I might be a minority on this forum). also just because colordmd costs too much that is not luckys fault.

#720 6 years ago
Quoted from tjc02002:

To be fair, the project was clearly started as a virtual pinball solution but upgraded to also work using real pinball signal input. I really like colordmd but I can't spend $400 on my $2000 pinball machine just to make the screen look cool(I realize I might be a minority on this forum). also just because colordmd costs too much that is not luckys fault.

No, just because you cannot afford something [or do not want to spend that much] does not give you the right to steal it.

#721 6 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

No, just because you cannot afford something [or do not want to spend that much] does not give you the right to steal it.

It is all conjecture my friend.

#722 6 years ago
Quoted from tjc02002:

It is all conjecture my friend.

Les Misérables? No you are not.

But dude you make a heck of a car wreck? (in a Junkyard good way)

I put a ColorDMD in a Popeye. Was I not supposed to do that for that Game to Mod ratio?

#723 6 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

The same group behind the Pin2DMD (Lucky1, Steve, and Rappelbox) has also worked to create knockoffs of PinDMD, the Run-DMD clock, and Pinsound.

It seems that bad mouthing and telling fairytales is the only way colorDMD can convince their customers to buy their product ? Very professional sales strategy !!

Here is the truth

- pinDMD (just like colorDMD) did not exist using the RGB LED panels the date pin2dmd was released. Furthermore pindmd3 and onscreen DMD would still not be enjoyable in full color without my contribution to pinMame and freezys dmddevice driver. So in fact I helped to make (and maybe sell) it better.

- runDMD clock AFAIK does not exist in full color until today. There also is no editor available to generate your own sequence of animations.

- DataEast Sound Pi is a project from smyp that Steve only uses in his JP. Steve, with the experience made with pin2dmd, convinced smyp to "NOT" release the code as open source to make sure it stays a DIY project and to avoid that some "clever businessmen" start to sell it.

#724 6 years ago

As Lucky1 has now supported with evidence in his previous post...

If you respect the time, investment, innovation, and contributions of these original projects, please support the businesses created to bring them to market and provide for future development. We really do appreciate it!

#725 6 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

There is no "group" or what you want to call it.

Without me it would still be a hobby project, it was intended to be! So blame it on me, not on them...

I found the system amazing so I decided to spread it. Same with GoDMD. I love the fact that everyone is free to use his/her personal skills to colorize a game to his personal liking, and not been forced to use a certain preset, given by someone else.
If I understand US copyright laws correct then its legal to spread macros (pinball browser), config files (no copyrighted material included) etc.
None of the people mentioned above sells complete colorizations. In fact i'm not even selling/providing presets.
There are other people trying to make profit of it and i'm not talking about the guys colorizing their own games and taking donations.

There was never an attempt to copy colordmd or other systems, which would be surely possible, but that would be illegal. So there hasn't been even thought of, at least by me and I would bet from Steve45 and Lucky1 either.

I see a legit competition, running different systems to colorize formally single colored DMDs, given different hardware and different techniques.
I see:
-ColorDMD
-PIN2DMD
-pinDMD
-SmartDMD
-prototypes of other systems etc.
-PROC
So this looks to me like "state-of-the-art", and not a ColorDMD-unique and patentable thing. But i live in Europe, so I might have a different understanding of patents then you!

It sounds to me like you are trying to protect your monoploy, given the circumstances that your biggest donor (stern) is not delivering its Pinballs with classic DMDs anymore...
If I had the will to compete with you i had colorized different games and sold them just a few bucks cheaper then your sets.
But, like lucky1 and steve45, that is not my intention.

Great products always lead to some kind of intimidators, but like mentioned SEVERAL times before, it has never been the intention to COPY your product.

Just MY 2 cents.

@taxman:
I love the effort you did on T2, but i don't like the colors you used. That's why i will use my own colorization, for my personal use!

No one is forced to use a ColorDMD or a PIN2DMD, just give people the chance to decide on their own which system to use, with all it's benefits and drawbacks. But i think thats exactly the point where you think your patent comes into game.

I wish all the best to all involved parties, may we find a satisfactory solution to this.
Dominik

#726 6 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Wow what a conspiracy theory. Maybe you should wrap some kitchen foil around your head before we start reading your thoughts and take over the world

large_bor_170126_0305_c0b3cc41_pinky_und_der_brain (resized).jpglarge_bor_170126_0305_c0b3cc41_pinky_und_der_brain (resized).jpg

#727 6 years ago
Quoted from Rappelbox:

taxman:
I love the effort you did on T2, but i don't like the colors you used. That's why i will use my own colorization, for my personal use!

#728 6 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Quoted from Dmod:

Why are you copying and pasting the same post twice? We get it the first time.

#729 6 years ago

I'm a ColorDMD user and supporter, but I'm really disappointed in how they handle their patent and have to try and threaten anybody who colorizes games. It seems like they think anybody who does this infringes on their patent which is just not true. I can understand why they do this from a business perspective I just do not like it. Reminds me of how PPS Rick spews BS sometimes (Capcom patent for example).

#730 6 years ago

I like the colors you used in T2 taxman. I will copy them exactly for my Pin2dmd.

#731 6 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I'm a ColorDMD user and supporter, but I'm really disappointed in how they handle their patent and have to try and threaten anybody who colorizes games. It seems like they think anybody who does this infringes on their patent which is just not true. I can understand why they do this from a business perspective I just do not like it. Reminds me of how PPS Rick spews BS sometimes (Capcom patent for example).

Didn't the PinDMD/Pin2DMD guys have the LED panels working before ColorDMD anyways? I thought ColorDMD didn't start releasing their LED panels until after Pin2DMD was out.

#732 6 years ago
Quoted from tjc02002:

I like the colors you used in T2 taxman. I will copy them exactly for my Pin2dmd.

No you won't. You're too lazy. You bought two of them how long ago without getting them installed?

#733 6 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Didn't the PinDMD/Pin2DMD guys have the LED panels working before ColorDMD anyways? I thought ColorDMD didn't start releasing their LED panels until after Pin2DMD was out.

Correct, they did it first. It was implemented and tested before ColorDMD announced their version. I have a feeling ColorDMD's product would have been delayed or not released at all if it weren't for PIN2DMD's proof of concept.

#734 6 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Correct, they did it first. It was implemented and tested before ColorDMD announced their version. I have a feeling ColorDMD's product would have been delayed or not released at all if it weren't for PIN2DMD's proof of concept.

ColorDMD LED would have happened anyway on the same schedule:

The original ColorDMD concept was inspired by 8x8 RGB color LEDs back in 2009 but they were not yet available in a small enough form factor and were outrageously expensive. LCD was only investigated and used when I couldn't obtain an LED display that would fit the backbox.

We had been looking for an alternate to our LCD screen that could fit the CV playfield. We had the LED driver and prototypes working for some time before it was introduced to the public, as we were still trying to assess it's reliability and video quality. Early LED displays had some problems, and still now, there's room for improvement.

This is also why ROMs were rolled out slowly with early availability for only a few games like CV and T3 that really needed it due to backbox limitations.

#735 6 years ago

Ok cool, I wasn't stating this as fact, just a guess.

#736 6 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I'm a ColorDMD user and supporter, but I'm really disappointed in how they handle their patent and have to try and threaten anybody who colorizes games. It seems like they think anybody who does this infringes on their patent which is just not true.

This isn't true. Pin2DMD's original implementation of using colors to replace graylevel shades steered clear of any ColorDMD methods and presents no issues whatsoever. They later chose to directly implement methods disclosed in the ColorDMD patent.

There are other methods for adding color to pinball images that also would not weigh on ColorDMD, but unfortunately this team hasn't been particularly innovative and takes pride in knocking off other's contributions.

With 59 supported titles, a large repeat customer base, and a host of other IP that we've developed over the past five years that hasn't been disclosed (or copied), ColorDMD's position in the market is secure.

This is really about principle for me at this point, and speaking out against a pattern of behavior that became apparent after hearing from the Pinsound guys at TPF about what they have been doing with regard to their project. You can read back earlier in this thread and find similar concerns from the PinDMD creators.

It's a bit ironic that the original topic of this thread (still visible in the browser url) was "stolen-pin2dmd-color-rgb-controller-from-pinballspcom". Lucky1 was the first to cry foul about another project misusing his IP, yet continues to defiantly justify his own behavior.

#737 6 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

It's a bit ironic that the original topic of this thread (still visible in the browser url) was "stolen-pin2dmd-color-rgb-controller-from-pinballspcom". Lucky1 was the first to cry foul about another project misusing his IP, yet continues to defiantly justify his own behavior.

#738 6 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

... and it has cleared up as a misunderstanding in the end. He was talking about hardware and we were thinking about software.
It can sometimes be confusing, especially when a spanish and a german guy a talking to each other in english

We asked colorDMD multiple times to show us exactly which lines of code infringe their patent exactly, but never got an answer to that.
All they repeat again and again is that it was their idea. I may remind you that although they may not believe it, but even in the US a principle or an idea alone cannot be patented. Given that the only thing we have technically in common is that we both bring color to dmd pinball machines. They admit that this can´t be covered by any patent saying that it is allowed to map 4 or 16 shades to 4 or 16 colors but also claim that pinball browser and smartDMD is infringing their patent !!!??? I think it is just their unprofessional way to deal with competition because they are not used to it and don´t know how to do better.

#739 6 years ago

I'm having trouble finding a true statement anywhere in this last post, especially where ColorDMD was asked multiple times to provide anything. Unfortunately any attempt to address Pin2DMD directly has been dismissed with intentional misrepresentations like the one above and others simply not rational.

Quoted from lucky1:

Wow what a conspiracy theory. Maybe you should wrap some kitchen foil around your head before we start reading your thoughts and take over the world

If you'd like to support innovation in the hobby, please look to original projects like PinDMD, ColorDMD, Run-DMD clock, PinSound and others who have invested and are working every day to create and support exciting new elements for the hobby. Your support is greatly appreciated and helps drive new innovation.

Otherwise, support these characters.

#740 6 years ago

Are you just bent on making yourself come off as a bit if a jerk in this thread? All they ask is the section of your code the project infringes upon so we can clarify this issue and hopefully put this disagreement behind us so both parties can move on and enjoy pinball.

#741 6 years ago

I'm not sure what you mean by section of my code. If you're referring to the patent, it would be a legal test against the patent claims. Claim 1 and claim 10 here are independent claims which stand alone. Any device (or method) which satisfies all the elements of the claim would infringe that claim.

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PG01&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/srchnum.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=20120190440.PGNR./

The issue with Pin2DMD relates to their decision to incorporate frame tagging and color lookup in conjunction with all the other elements of the claim. They are aware of this and were asked privately to remove this specific feature.

FWIW, if a court finds that the independent claim is too general, then the dependent claims listed beneath come into play to bring higher specificity. Any one dependent claim is sufficient and it does not need to satisfy all.

The truth is that Pin2DMD doesn't care about the patent or claims (and have stated so in emails), so there won't be any resolution on this unless we bring suit. I don't expect a resolution here.

The disappointing thing to me as an inventor is that for such a small community, a patent would be needed in the first place or that we'd have a group that proudly engages in a pattern of exploitive behavior to reproduce any new invention that shows a promise of success.

ColorDMD is capable of protecting itself but many other projects don't have the resources or legal standing to do the same, nor should they be needed. Which way this goes is basically up to the pinball community and what they choose to reward.

#742 6 years ago

And again nothing specific.

Who files a patent about a hobby invention anyways ?
For most members of the community, like me, it is enough to see that other members like it.

The only thing you use it for is to keep your monopoly and to threaten other inventors.
This worked well with pinballMikeD and smartDMD and other members of the pinball community because
the US is not only famous for insane patents but also for irrational court decisions.

So you are not only a inventor but also a innovation brake. Remember, we introduced pin2dmd long before
your LED version was announced. So if you are the real innovator of that technology, what took you so long ?
The advertising panels have been on the market, long before we started our project.

And yes we have stated in an e-mail that thank god we don´t have to care about such stupid questionable US patents like yours because we live in europe.

#743 6 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

... Furthermore pindmd3 and onscreen DMD would still not be enjoyable in full color without my contribution to pinMame and freezys dmddevice driver. So in fact I helped to make (and maybe sell) it better...

I find this point often gets lost in the shuffle. Many thanks to freezy and yourself for continuing to support my pinDMD3. I do hope support from the source returns one day. If I had to do it over again though I would go the PIN2DMD route.

2 months later
#744 6 years ago

Is there also an coloration for the ghostbusters?

Is there anywhere an instruction to make it by My own?
Perhaps in German, because the guy who want make it is not so good in english and i didnt want translate all for him

#745 6 years ago

The instructions are on pin2dmd.com . Best place to ask for help is vpuniverse.com
GB should work with pinball browser from oga84 and in-frame coloring.
There is a thread about pinball-browser and its usage here on pinside.

2 weeks later
#746 6 years ago

Here are some pictures of the new V4.0 PIN2DMD Nucleo-144 shield. Due to the production change of the chinese advertising panels a redesign of the shield hardware was necessary. The new shield supports the piggy-back installation on all supported panel types (64x32 and 64x64). We took the chance to also change from the STM32F4 DISCO board to the more flexible Nucleo-144 board series.
We currently support the STM32F429 Nucleo-144 which more or less is the same as the discovery board but Nucleo-144 series offers a wide range of powerful processors (up to 400Mhz ARM7) for the future. Also on the picture is the DC-DC converter breakout board for better installation with 12V power sources.

- added support for panels with different RGB color sequence (GRB etc) (use onscreen menu to change)
- added support for 4bit high speed SD card access on Nucleo board
- store config also in eeprom
- PIN2DMD XL support on Nucleo-144 shield (public firmware Version 2.01)

All files can be found here https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD

IMG_9165 (resized).jpgIMG_9165 (resized).jpg
IMG_9162 (resized).jpgIMG_9162 (resized).jpg
IMG_9158 (resized).jpgIMG_9158 (resized).jpg

#747 6 years ago

Will this work on the previous hardware version ??

#748 6 years ago
Quoted from fly:

Will this work on the previous hardware version ??

The features of the software are the same. It actually uses the same source code just with different pin mappings for the nucleo board.
The difference is that the old shield was designed for the previous production type of the 32x64 chinese advertising panels. The new Nucleo based shield can be mounted piggy-back on all panels we currently know and support. That is p2.5 32x64 1/16 scan old and new (bleeding free) production type aas well as larger 32x64 panels. Also 64x64 1/32 scan P2 and larger panels are supported using PIN2DMD XL firmware.

1 week later
#749 6 years ago

To complete the support of DMD based pinball machine types we currently test Data East 128x16 with our new Nucleo-144 based shield. For a proof of concept we connected it to a original cherry 128x16 dmd board with a defective display panel we got as a gift from a pin2dmd user. First tests were successfull, but still some fine tuning to do.

IMG_9241 (resized).jpgIMG_9241 (resized).jpg

#750 6 years ago

Will the firmware be different? If so will you continue to make firmware updates for the old version as well? Please say yes.

Oh also, this looks great. Thank you for continuing the support for this and continuing to make improvements.

Thank you.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 159.00
There are 1,459 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 30.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stolen-pin2dmd-color-rgb-controller-from-pinballspcom/page/15?hl=vbobrusev and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.