(Topic ID: 153490)

PIN2DMD - LED color DMD for all resolutions (128x32, 128x16, 192x64 and 256x64)

By lucky1

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Slippifishi Files (resized).png
CFTBL Corrupt Files (resized).png
CFTBL Current Files (resized).png
IMG_2849.jpeg
A8AEA534-F3BD-4919-B78E-7D1AB6B96097 (resized).jpeg
F43E1532-CFC7-4AAC-97C5-03E3AA12C585 (resized).jpeg
EA68A705-4AB3-4D9E-9C8D-E1D46F77C48E (resized).jpeg
ABBFB05F-1655-4F97-B947-9553F6E41B1E (resized).jpeg
board (resized).PNG
display (resized).jpg
1734D102-06BB-46F8-8907-BEE132F0FC91 (resized).jpeg
D4D83DAE-308F-4D55-AA77-AA4475620FBB (resized).png
46772C85-ACBC-4980-B0F4-992A927A2346 (resized).jpeg
Untitled (resized).png
7F9951E5-173C-498B-8921-96D54E268C47 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,459 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 30.
#601 7 years ago

What technology wise would it take for PIN2DMD to use an LCD (laptop type screen) instead of the LED array?

#602 7 years ago
Quoted from Bdkorn:

What technology wise would it take for PIN2DMD to use an LCD (laptop type screen) instead of the LED array?

... a other controller It is not planned to support LCD because this is already covered by smartdmd or DMDextender as a DIY solution

#603 7 years ago

I just uploaded the new shield PCB design on github which can be used also with go-dmd clock project from here
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rgb-godmd-clock-made-in-germany#post-3263156

It has basically the same functionality as the black custom controller from Luis (which is also supported by go-dmd). It has the new features like Wifi, RealTimeClock, Temperature and Humidity Sensor, Serial RS232 connection for SubDevice control or side channel, signal enhancer etc. It can be mounted piggyback on the P2.5 LED panels. The shield is meant for the DIY community or as a cheap upgrade for older shields. Your existing STM32F407 discovery board can be reused. No need for a new key etc. except you plan to use it with goDMD.

Here is the github link https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/tree/master/hardware

I ordered my prototype PCBs here http://www.elecrow.com/services/pcb-prototyping/10pcs-2-layer-pcb.html

image2 (resized).JPGimage2 (resized).JPG

#604 7 years ago

So the Pinout of this Pin2DMD setup is the same as on my Alvin G & Company Pistol Poker machine. Will this work on my pistol poker?

#605 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinterest:

So the Pinout of this Pin2DMD setup is the same as on my Alvin G & Company Pistol Poker machine. Will this work on my pistol poker?

We won´t know unless you try it, because I don´t have one. Even when it is not working we can try to make it work if you are willing to put some time into it.

#606 7 years ago

Okay - I'll try it - - just wanted to verify that there is no electrical reason why it wouldn't work.

Yes - I'm willing to work on it as it's a pretty rare (and fun) machine and will probably never leave my collection.

#607 7 years ago

Are there kits available for a (near) drop-in replacement for aging/failing DMDs? I'm looking at replacing DE LW3 and Gottlieb Tee'd Off DMDs...

1 week later
#608 7 years ago

Very interesting mod. Congratulations to all persons involved.
Is there a difference in the hardware sold by PinballSP and the one sold by germangamingsupplies or it's the same cards ?
If they are different, what are the pros/cons of each solution ?

#609 7 years ago

There are mainly two solutions. One is modular using a STM development board (V3 shield) and the other is a fixed configuration custom board (pinballsp). They both work the same way. The modular is upgradeable and the custom board is smaller (for very tight mounting situations)

2 weeks later
#610 7 years ago

Well, I finally bit the bullet and ordered the hardware from Luis. I'm hoping to have time to install it this weekend but was curious if anyone else has installed one in a Whitestar game yet and if so, where they tapped the blue and brown leads for power. I also still need to retrieve the ID so I can request a license from Joerg.

Very excited to get this working, eventually I'd like to fully colorize TSPP.

edit: http://www.pincabpassion.net/t4446p125-vendsespagne-dmdst32-dmd-concu-et-fabrique-par-pinballsp

#611 7 years ago

I'm thinking about getting the fully assembled PinballSP DMDST32 kit from Louis. Question, this is going to be for a Data East game. I don't see any pictures of the kit used in a Data East system. I know it can be done and the PIN2DMD software is compatible with Data East. My main concern is how would I fit the DMD driver board on the back of this whole assembly and will there be enough room in the backbox for this? Plus, I only see 4 holes in the mounting plate, one in each corner, and none in the center on top or bottom to suggest how this driver board would be mounted.

https://images.pinside.com/e/0b/e0b362e67971abd68974a6bd388b2d6e4f804f26/resized/large/e0b362e67971abd68974a6bd388b2d6e4f804f26.jpg

#612 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I'm thinking about getting the fully assembled PinballSP DMDST32 kit from Louis. Question, this is going to be for a Data East game. I don't see any pictures of the kit used in a Data East system. I know it can be done and the PIN2DMD software is compatible with Data East. My main concern is how would I fit the DMD driver board on the back of this whole assembly and will there be enough room in the backbox for this? Plus, I only see 4 holes in the mounting plate, one in each corner, and none in the center on top or bottom to suggest how this driver board would be mounted.
https://images.pinside.com/e/0b/e0b362e67971abd68974a6bd388b2d6e4f804f26/resized/large/e0b362e67971abd68974a6bd388b2d6e4f804f26.jpg

Yes, you may install in Data East pinball, dont worry. Here a video that sent a friend time ago about a Star Wars with DMDST32. He warned me then that Data East has 6 holes to fix DMD, instead 4 holes, but was not problem to install it. I have ask him how he made, if he made two more holes in center of main frame or if may remove the two central bolts, at any rate he installed without problems.

I will add two more holes to main frame as soon as I need manufacture a new batch of frames.

Check this video about DMDST32 in Star Wars Data East

Installation in video, was with first version of DMDST32 with bigger power supply, now power supply is smaller and easier to install in Data East. As soon as my friend reply me about the two central holes, I tell you how to do it.

#613 7 years ago

My friend confirm me, just now by Whatsapp, he add two more holes by hand, in center of frame. No problem, I may add it and provide product ready to work and install in Data East, with 6 holes in frame, so two more holes in center of frame.

#614 7 years ago

That's awesome, I can just drill my own holes and follow the video. I replied to your email and will buy the kit. Thanks for all your help.

#615 7 years ago

OK, fine, thank you.
Kind Regards.

#616 7 years ago

This is where connect in Data East pinball, to get 100VAC for DMD power supply, very easy and fast with the two quick splizzer I provide with DMDST32.

DATA_EAST_001 - copia (resized).jpgDATA_EAST_001 - copia (resized).jpg
DATA_EAST_002 - copia (resized).jpgDATA_EAST_002 - copia (resized).jpg
DATA_EAST_003 - copia (resized).jpgDATA_EAST_003 - copia (resized).jpg

#617 7 years ago

Hello

just to understand this great project
how many colors are they possible to use?

Is it on your way to have one day a DMD colors for BBB Capcom?

thx

#618 7 years ago

Capcom is already implemented and tested on a Airborne. You can increase the color depth up to 16 colors per frame using pin2dmd editor, but you have to do the colorization yourself.

1 month later
#619 7 years ago

i bought the DIY $99 kit from Fast Pinball. I have the revision 3 shield/Discovery solution from UncleSash. I don't see a way to plug the shield directly into the display because there is too much of a gap. I realize this board was not specifically designed for the Fast mounting bracket, more so for the custom board Aaron has in progress. Has anyone found a solution to this? I am assuming I will need to lift the board up and connect it via a ribbon cable using the input on the top of the board.

#620 7 years ago

Is there any palette repository or place where people upload palettes for the games?

Thanks

#621 7 years ago
Quoted from dkeruza:

Is there any palette repository or place where people upload palettes for the games?
Thanks

vpuniverse.com is a good place to ask for.

#622 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

i bought the DIY $99 kit from Fast Pinball. I have the revision 3 shield/Discovery solution from UncleSash. I don't see a way to plug the shield directly into the display because there is too much of a gap. I realize this board was not specifically designed for the Fast mounting bracket, more so for the custom board Aaron has in progress. Has anyone found a solution to this? I am assuming I will need to lift the board up and connect it via a ribbon cable using the input on the top of the board.

Can you post pictures to show what the problem is ? I have my shield mounted like this

http://vpuniverse.com/forums/gallery/image/918-side-view-of-the-pin2dmd-go-dmd-v3-shield-mounted-on-a-p25-panel/

#623 7 years ago

I have it sandwiched the exact same way. My problem is, even with the FAST mounting bracket removed, the board's black RGB DMD female header on the bottom side is not plugging into the connector on the back of the display. It doesn't even feel like it's reaching far enough to plug in. It hits the little alignment nubs sticking out of the frame surrounding the display panel.

891 (resized).jpg891 (resized).jpg892 (resized).jpg892 (resized).jpg893 (resized).jpg893 (resized).jpg894 (resized).jpg894 (resized).jpg895 (resized).jpg895 (resized).jpg

Can I get around this by lifting the shield assembly up enough to connect a short ribbon cable to the display panel and connect it to the output connector on the top of the board instead?

#624 7 years ago

Not certain how this other board works. Our FAST RGB DMD includes the controller board in the bracket. The DIY Kit assumed you would connect with a ribbon cable.

IMG_8627 (resized).JPGIMG_8627 (resized).JPGIMG_8544 (resized).JPGIMG_8544 (resized).JPG

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#625 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I have it sandwiched the exact same way. My problem is, even with the FAST mounting bracket removed, the board's black RGB DMD female header on the bottom side is not plugging into the connector on the back of the display. It doesn't even feel like it's reaching far enough to plug in. It hits the little alignment nubs sticking out of the frame surrounding the display panel.

Can I get around this by lifting the shield assembly up enough to connect a short ribbon cable to the display panel and connect it to the output connector on the top of the board instead?

I think UncleSash has soldered the piggyback connector wrong. You need to use an elevated connector to make sure it connects correctly.
Please contact him about that or use a ribbon cable. You can see that there is a gap between the connector and the pcb here in my shield.
http://vpuniverse.com/forums/gallery/image/919-pin2dmd-go-dmd-v3-shield-bottom-connector/

#626 7 years ago

Yes that would seem to be the cause. The header is flush against the board on mine. I think I'll just use a ribbon cable, it's no big issue as long as there is an alternative.

2 weeks later
#627 7 years ago

I'm having an issue starting the PIN2DMD tool. At first it said MSVCR110.DLL was missing, I checked C++ Redistributables 2012 and 2015 and made sure they were installed/repaired. Then I got "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b)." Checked this with Process Monitor and copied the DLL from C:\Windows\SysWOW64 to the locations that were being read by the tool. Still have the issue, any pointers? Running Windows 7 Pro x64, noticed this is a 32-bit program. I installed libusb-1.0.dll into the same folder as the tool from GitHub.

#628 7 years ago

You need to copy the complete folder from github not only the exe.

#629 7 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

You need to copy the complete folder from github not only the exe.

Ah! I believe your description on vpuniverse.com can be misinterpreted as I understood it as the EXE file being the only thing needed.

1 week later
#630 7 years ago

New Release on github V2.36
https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/archive/master.zip

Instructions on http://www.pin2dmd.com

real pinball machine improvements

- support for AlvinG and Spooky real pinball machines
- support for signal enhancer on V3 shields (check setting for WPC, DataEast, Whitestar, Gottlieb and Spike real pinball machines)
- faster frame update routine on alle machines except Gottlieb and CapCom

Pin2DMD.exe tool improvements

- added advanced colorpicker to edit custom palettes.
- import palettes as .dmc or .pal file
- added offline mode for config. If no device is connected config files (pin2md.pal, pin2dmd.dat) are stored in directory
Works also with (pin2dmd XL for sega machines)
- added upload button to frontend
- improved real pinball dump routine in pin2dmd.exe tool

virtual pinball improvements

- added support for modular dmddevice.dll driver interface. Currently supported by VPinMame 2.8, PinballX and UltraDMD with modified XDMD.DLL and XDMDNative.DLL
- dmddevice.dll loads palette files from %pinmame dir%\altcolor\%machine name% directory
copy your pin2dmd.pal and pin2dmd.fsq files to that directory
- support for SmartDMD sidechannel protocol (e.g SpiderMan VE or StarTrek from Sharkky)
- added support for pin2dmd colorization methods to DmdDevice.DLL from freezy.
Now every VpinMame user with DMD on 3rd LCD screen, pindmdV3 or pin2dmd can use 16color palette files and colorization made with Pin2DMD.Exe tool, Pin2DMD Editor from Steve or PinballBrowser from Oga83.

That opens up the frame by frame colorization possibilies of pin2dmd to the large userbase of vpin players and owners.
Their shared projects can then be used in real pinball machines by every pin2dmd owner with little modifications.
(e.g. upcoming release of Stern StarTrek and Spiderman VE from Pin2DMD Vpin owner Sharkky).

Tool 2.36 (resized).pngTool 2.36 (resized).png

#631 7 years ago

SpiderMan Vault Edition by Sharkky

#632 7 years ago

I just came across this thread and have lots of questions. While I am happy to do my own research, I do have a few questions if someone would be kind enough to concisely answer and point me in the right direction.

1. Will this work with a Williams Getaway (WPC 1992)? If so, has anyone done one that can share pics & details?
2. Can I buy a kit somewhere that includes all the parts or even the full assembly? If so, where?
3. I'm assuming you colorize yourself? How do you get the DMD source code?
4. If compatible, how does this compare to ColorDMD and reasons to choose this over that?

I'm sure I will have more questions, but these should get me started in the right direction.

#633 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I just came across this thread and have lots of questions. While I am happy to do my own research, I do have a few questions if someone would be kind enough to concisely answer and point me in the right direction.
1. Will this work with a Williams Getaway (WPC 1992)? If so, has anyone done one that can share pics & details?
2. Can I buy a kit somewhere that includes all the parts or even the full assembly? If so, where?
3. I'm assuming you colorize yourself? How do you get the DMD source code?
4. If compatible, how does this compare to ColorDMD and reasons to choose this over that?
I'm sure I will have more questions, but these should get me started in the right direction.

You will get an answer to most of your questions on www.pin2dmd.com

#634 7 years ago

I uploaded a collection with color palettes for 141 pinball tables here

http://vpuniverse.com/forums/files/file/4371-color-palettes-collection/

#635 7 years ago

I installed an SD card, activated the software, configured the settings and palette for Data East/Sega, verified the settings are saved, and connected it to Tales from the Crypt. Nothing happens besides the PIN2DMD start screen, the DMD driver board is working and I checked the cables, especially the DMD input cable orientation. What else do I need to check?

#636 7 years ago

If you use a version 3 shield you may need V2.36 on the board and have to check the signal enhancer checkbox.
What is the status of the diodes between the 2 buttons ?

#637 7 years ago

I know that people have used PIN2DMD on Getaway HS2, but has anyone colorized frames? If so, do you have video posted somewhere to view, and would you make your customizations available to others?

#638 7 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

If you use a version 3 shield you may need V2.36 on the board and have to check the signal enhancer checkbox.
What is the status of the diodes between the 2 buttons ?

I have a v3 shield, yes. Can't remember if I tried the signal enhancer option, will have to check. Which 2 buttons are you talking about, which board (Discovery or shield)? Am I looking for LEDs?

#639 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I have a v3 shield, yes. Can't remember if I tried the signal enhancer option, will have to check. Which 2 buttons are you talking about, which board (Discovery or shield)? Am I looking for LEDs?

The 4 LEDs between the 2 buttons on the discovery board.
Since you have a V3 shield I recommend checking the signal enhancer checkbox
for Gottlieb, SAM, Spike, Whitestar and DataEast.

#640 7 years ago

Hi! I have shield V3 and i dont know why but it's not working on my Stern WhiteStar machine, i checked it on DataEast, Williams, Bally machine - everything works fine, but on WhiteStar nothing, i see only pin2dmd logo with "Stern WhiteStar" sign. What it can be? or i do something wrong?

#641 7 years ago

Did you check the signal enhancer checkbox in pin2dmd.exe and save this setting on SD card ?

#642 7 years ago

I turn it on in settings on device and save configure. It's working on last available version.

#643 7 years ago
Quoted from vbobrusev:

I turn it on in settings on device and save configure. It's working on last available version.

I'm having trouble saving my settings. When I turn the display on it has my palette and Data East settings on the screen. When I connect it to the computer and launch pin2dmd.exe the settings change on the LED screen to the default palette and virtual pinball setting, which reflects what is shown in the program. If I close the program and restart the Discovery board by powering it off and back on it's back to my customized settings I have on the micro SD card.

Clicking save settings after making changes, including checking the signal enhancer box, doesn't do anything. Then I close the program and reboot the Discovery board and open it again and see the settings are back to the default with no signal enhancer checked.

#644 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I'm having trouble saving my settings. When I turn the display on it has my palette and Data East settings on the screen. When I connect it to the computer and launch pin2dmd.exe the settings change on the LED screen to the default palette and virtual pinball setting, which reflects what is shown in the program. If I close the program and restart the Discovery board by powering it off and back on it's back to my customized settings I have on the micro SD card.
Clicking save settings after making changes, including checking the signal enhancer box, doesn't do anything. Then I close the program and reboot the Discovery board and open it again and see the settings are back to the default with no signal enhancer checked.

You are not getting USB data from the controller. Maybe your USB cable is broken. As a workaround. You can use the offline mode of pin2dmd.exe by starting without usb connection and copying the pin2dmd.dat and pin2dmd.pal from the pin2dmd.exe folder to your SD Card. You can also use the onscreen menu by holding the blue option button on the discovery board during start. You can navigate by using the other 2 buttons on the shield. You have to disconnect pinball signals first.

#645 7 years ago

Updated the files on the SD card, works fine so far. Will let you know if it works in a game!

#646 7 years ago

Still no luck, swapped out 14 pin ribbon cable and tried both orientations. Signal enhancer setting is on. Tested with 2 good driver boards. Pressing reset button resets back to the PIN2DMD screen, tried booting with game on and off, same result. Maybe I have a faulty Discovery board? I know it's loading settings from the SD card but Sasha never showed it displaying a game image before he sold it to me. Video of the board LEDs:

#647 7 years ago

I assume it's a fault on the breakout board. If you have a soldering iron, and a multimeter we can check that asap.

Greetings,
Dom

#648 7 years ago
Quoted from Rappelbox:

I assume it's a fault on the breakout board. If you have a soldering iron, and a multimeter we can check that asap.
Greetings,
Dom

Sure, what needs to be done?

#649 7 years ago

For what it's worth: it looks like your board has the signal enhancer bypassed according to the text on the board. so if you checked signal enhancer in the tool this might cause an issue.

#650 7 years ago
Quoted from tjc02002:

For what it's worth: it looks like your board has the signal enhancer bypassed according to the text on the board. so if you checked signal enhancer in the tool this might cause an issue.

The bypass jumper is specific to the board of uncle sash. I´m not sure it works at all that way.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 1,059.00
$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,459 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 30.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stolen-pin2dmd-color-rgb-controller-from-pinballspcom/page/13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.