(Topic ID: 153490)

PIN2DMD - LED color DMD for all resolutions (128x32, 128x16, 192x64 and 256x64)

By lucky1

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Slippifishi Files (resized).png
CFTBL Corrupt Files (resized).png
CFTBL Current Files (resized).png
IMG_2849.jpeg
A8AEA534-F3BD-4919-B78E-7D1AB6B96097 (resized).jpeg
F43E1532-CFC7-4AAC-97C5-03E3AA12C585 (resized).jpeg
EA68A705-4AB3-4D9E-9C8D-E1D46F77C48E (resized).jpeg
ABBFB05F-1655-4F97-B947-9553F6E41B1E (resized).jpeg
board (resized).PNG
display (resized).jpg
1734D102-06BB-46F8-8907-BEE132F0FC91 (resized).jpeg
D4D83DAE-308F-4D55-AA77-AA4475620FBB (resized).png
46772C85-ACBC-4980-B0F4-992A927A2346 (resized).jpeg
Untitled (resized).png
7F9951E5-173C-498B-8921-96D54E268C47 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,459 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 30.
#551 7 years ago

Hello.

Topper kit is on the way. Today I received P5 Led panels, in picture compare small P2.5 led panels installed in DMD with big P5 led panels for Topper. Also in same picture may see a sample book about metacrylate to choose color and texture for front and back frames.

Topper kit will install the new BLACK Edition controller board with battery holder + 2nd oscillator to keep clock/date for animated clock, Serial port to read status of targets to play animations according with events, Sensor inputs for Pir sensor, remote IR, Temperature-humidity sensor.

Also possible install my new DUAL controller board to mirror DMD to Topper or to run independent firmware. This topper will may install Stefan animated clock firmware, I have speak by email with Stefan and he authorize to provide product with his firmware preloaded, user only will must to request key license to Stefan to activate it (only 10 Euros).

Price will be between 195 and 215 euros approximately. Orders and questions here, by private message, email [email protected], Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Pinballsp , Whatsapp +34 693 344 445.

Kind Regards
Luis Hernandez Salvador
https://www.facebook.com/Pinballsp
Electrónica Aplicada

This is video demo from Stefan youtube account with his animated clock firmware working.

P5_Led_(resized).jpgP5_Led_(resized).jpg
ffe4ec8e4a3f9827370557d5e8652ca540f2b502_(resized).jpgffe4ec8e4a3f9827370557d5e8652ca540f2b502_(resized).jpg
bf03c9fa4609f42eff3a103b38f66085b67f1dc6_(resized).jpgbf03c9fa4609f42eff3a103b38f66085b67f1dc6_(resized).jpg

#552 7 years ago
Quoted from JackBurton:

is there any guide or how to on this, just got mine today and I'm not sure what I have to do. Thanks

Hello Ben.

Replied by private, do not hesitate contact with me for any question about config and run DMD.

Kind Regards

#553 7 years ago

So onto the SEGA display now right

Topper looks great!

#554 7 years ago
Quoted from iEatHands:

So onto the SEGA display now right
Topper looks great!

I will try to do SEGA, but led panels are not cheap, I got good price for P2 panels but finally provider was wrong with price. Now I also try to get a SEGA video controller board to do test, a friend will lend me one, I have already CPU.

Thank you.

#555 7 years ago

Got my licence and everything but when I connect it to colour prism I can edit the screen and it changes in realtime (colour/brightness) but when I save the config I dont think it saves, and it doesnt work on my STTNG then. Anyone have an idea of what else I can try? Thanks

#556 7 years ago
Quoted from JackBurton:

Got my licence and everything but when I connect it to colour prism I can edit the screen and it changes in realtime (colour/brightness) but when I save the config I dont think it saves, and it doesnt work on my STTNG then. Anyone have an idea of what else I can try? Thanks

Did you insert a SD card to save the configuration on ?

#557 7 years ago
Quoted from iEatHands:

Topper looks great!

Sorry, but Luis has no access to that Layout!
It's only available through Steve or here: https://germangamingsupplies.com/GO-DMD-clocks
Both, small and big are applicable of displaying pin2dmd or GoDMD data.

Greetings,
Dom

#558 7 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Did you insert a SD card to save the configuration on ?

Yeah I have but I might just try a different SD card, does it need to be FAT?

#559 7 years ago
Quoted from JackBurton:

Yeah I have but I might just try a different SD card, does it need to be FAT?

Like I said you by Whatsapp about SD cards, some not known SD manufacturer cards fail, mainly those chinese cheap Sd cards. I have here several cards, and with Sandisk and Kingston work fine, but with some chinese fail.

Try with a SD card from known manufacturer, and format in FAT or FAT32. Check if red led is on or off, if SD card is ok for the board, then red led must to be off, if read card fail then red led will be on.

I check all boards, with all functions before to send, so check read/write SD card, DFU USB update, read/write with ST-Link, WIFI if installed, and play game with real pinball and virtual pinball.

In picture, three micro SD cards tested by me for this aplication, only Sandisk and Kingston work, chinese card fail.

sd_(resized).jpgsd_(resized).jpg

#560 7 years ago

I've also heard a lot of SanDisk ones bought at places like Best Buy are counterfeit. I've seen those fail and do weird stuff like corrupt files in cameras.

#561 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I've also heard a lot of SanDisk ones bought at places like Best Buy are counterfeit. I've seen those fail and do weird stuff like corrupt files in cameras.

I stick to Kingston exclusively. Haven't had a problem within the 10 years or so that I've been buying and using them.

#562 7 years ago

Kingston is great. I've used their RAM for years and never had an issue. IT ships their Golden Tee upgrade kits with Kingston drives. I have a collection of like, 4 or 5 of those from over the years. One is a USB 3.0 8GB!

#563 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I've used their RAM for years and never had an issue.

Well...I've had issues with premature RAM failures with Kingston a few times over the years. I usually stick to Crucial and Corsair for RAM.

#564 7 years ago

I think my oldest Kingston flash drive started giving me trouble lately. But it still works.

#565 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I think my oldest Kingston flash drive started giving me trouble lately. But it still works.

They do have a limited number of read/write cycles, so any brand will wear out and start failing a bit at a time and fail eventually.

#566 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

I will try to do SEGA, but led panels are not cheap, I got good price for P2 panels but finally provider was wrong with price. Now I also try to get a SEGA video controller board to do test, a friend will lend me one, I have already CPU.
Thank you.

A new SEGA DMD in Australia if you can find one are $1,000....

#567 7 years ago

I think everyone is interested in buying a dot matrix solution where originals are $500+ if you can even find them. We currently have DMD Extender and SmartDMD which runs about $250-$300 in parts and software, but keeping that software running with all the intricate connections between the SD card, Pi, screen controller, and adapter boards causes me to restart about once a month at the very least. Plus the SmartDMD software is not very stable and the refresh rates of an LED solution are much closer to an original DMD eliminating screen tearing, pulldown, and giving much smoother motion. Having a single board microcontroller based solution that boots in and instant and doesn't use a desktop operating system would be well worth the money.

#568 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

They do have a limited number of read/write cycles, so any brand will wear out and start failing a bit at a time and fail eventually.

That number is limited but it's still pretty big. If you're not using flash memory for a scratch disk or another scenario where it's being written to constantly, you're extremely unlikely to wear it out before you outgrow (or misplace/destroy) it. I still have 512MB sticks with bootable CD images for various maintenance tasks and they're at least a decade old with no bad sectors yet. Tom's Hardware (I think?) did a stress test a couple years ago and it was absurd how long most of those sticks will take the abuse.

Keep in mind there are only a half-dozen or so chip fabricators churning out the silicon in these things. It's more about who to avoid than who to use. That said, I agree on Corsair and Crucial - never had a problem with them.

#569 7 years ago
Quoted from iEatHands:

A new SEGA DMD in Australia if you can find one are $1,000....

USD or AUD ??
At any rate its really very expensive, and also hard to find the video controller board.

#570 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I think everyone is interested in buying a dot matrix solution where originals are $500+ if you can even find them. We currently have DMD Extender and SmartDMD which runs about $250-$300 in parts and software, but keeping that software running with all the intricate connections between the SD card, Pi, screen controller, and adapter boards causes me to restart about once a month at the very least. Plus the SmartDMD software is not very stable and the refresh rates of an LED solution are much closer to an original DMD eliminating screen tearing, pulldown, and giving much smoother motion. Having a single board microcontroller based solution that boots in and instant and doesn't use a desktop operating system would be well worth the money.

Im waiting a friend lend me a SEGA videocontroller board, I have already CPU, Rom from a Frankenstein and Logic Analyzer to read and check all signals from video controller board to DMD.

And about Led panels, because of I need place soon a new led panels order about P2.5 for DMD, I will order three P2 panels, then with Led panels, video controller board and CPU I will may already check and develop firmware.

Also my friend said me if may I develop and manufacture the SEGA video controller board, because of also hard to find and very expensive, I have check the schematic, and may be its possible, will need to read and copy two PAL (old and I suppose easy to copy), and check if the processors (I think both Motorola), are available currently, then will be possible develop and manufacture it. Even my friend suggest that manufacture all in one video controller + DMD for SEGA 192*64.

I have also yet a lot of projects pending to finish. As soon as possible I will start with DMD project for SEGA 192*64. According with current cost of components (led panels, power supply, frame, controller board), may be final sale price will about 350 euros full assembled.

#571 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

USD or AUD ??
At any rate its really very expensive, and also hard to find the video controller board.

AUD. And that is if you can even find them.

I think if you made the SEGA display you'd have high demand from people with working pinball machines but broken displays.

That price you quoted sounds about right.

#572 7 years ago

New Version

V2.32
!! removed redundant device modes (PinLED,WPC95 => Bally/Williams, Classic Pinmame)
You may need to reconfigure your device using e.g. pin2dmd.exe
- added realpin Capcom support
- added realpin Gottlieb mode for early machines (1992)
- adjusted Gottlieb modes to latest vpinmame palettes
- added onscreen menu (hold config/blue button during boot) for basic config
- first release with wifi html interface (see flash.md) for basic config
- added reset function for wifi (hold menu and press option button)
- added support for serial port for control of additional sub devices and palette switching

#573 7 years ago
Quoted from iEatHands:

AUD. And that is if you can even find them.
I think if you made the SEGA display you'd have high demand from people with working pinball machines but broken displays.
That price you quoted sounds about right.

Ok, thanks. I have found already a SEGA video controller board for my tests, its expensive but I will buy it to may develop my SEGA LEd display. As soon as I receive the P2 panels from provider I start to develop it. Do not know yet if I will use current DMDST32 with STM32 MCU, new board with Kinetis or even a Raspberry Pi3.

#574 7 years ago

Together with Rappelbox (https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/rappelbox) from germangamingsupplies.com we were able to develop a special PIN2DMD firmware for 192x64 displays in the last weeks. It will be usable for vitual pinmame and real pinball machines. There is still some testing on real pinball machines to be done before the hardware can be ordered. Unfortunatelly the current pinballsp hardware is not usable because the layout doesn´t fit on the P2 panels. For vpin builds it will also be possible to use the cheaper P2.5 64x64 1/32 scan panels. After having finished this proof of concept phase he will now design a new Kit which will, as a appreciation for his constant support, be exclusively available from him. Activation of the firmware and support of our charity projects will be as usual. testing and dev will still take a few weeks, so please be patient. For more information please contact him.

Here is a video running Sega Maverick on P2 panels

and here a video of a windowed 128x32 machine in vpinmame.
With the P2.5 panels the display size will be exactly the same as the original machines.
The display size will be 46x16cm in total.

#575 7 years ago

you guys work fast

#576 7 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

With the P2.5 panels the display size will be exactly the same as the original machines.

I'm not following this part, then again I haven't been reading every post either. I was under the impression we needed P2.0 panels in order to fit a Sega 192x64 game and the current P2.5 ones are being used for testing/toppers.

#577 7 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I'm not following this part, then again I haven't been reading every post either. I was under the impression we needed P2.0 panels in order to fit a Sega 192x64 game and the current P2.5 ones are being used for testing/toppers.

You are ripping this out of the context. The display size of the windowed vpinmame display like shown in the video will be like the size of the original pinball display which is 128x32 with P2.5 dotpitch. In 128x32 mode it uses only the center area of the 48x16cm display. These will only fit in a custom made vpin machine.

The panels shown in the video are P2.0 which will fit in the original Sega machines.

#578 7 years ago

Ah, nice. Thanks.

#579 7 years ago

Hi!

My PIN2DVD LED DMD has been working just fine, but all of a sudden it now only displays "Virtual Pinball" and does not display the game graphics at all. What might be the reason behind this and how to rectify the problem? Could it be that the panel cannot read the MicroSD-card or what?

#580 7 years ago

Seems like reading error of the card.

#581 7 years ago
Quoted from Rappelbox:

Seems like reading error of the card.

I thought it might be it, since I had some difficulties with it in the beginning. Tried to reinsert the card,
but no luck, will try then again.

#582 7 years ago

Reinserting the card and trying to clean it does not seem to help. I do not notice anything physically wrong with the reader and/or card - do you spot something that is out of order?

IMG_0331_(resized).JPGIMG_0331_(resized).JPG
IMG_0333_(resized).JPGIMG_0333_(resized).JPG

IMG_0334_(resized).JPGIMG_0334_(resized).JPG

#583 7 years ago

I love your project but i am no computer nerd so i have now a 2,5 time the price Colordmd in my MC.
Sorry, maybe in the future if it is plug and play.
i can't collor it myself so that makes me change.

#584 7 years ago

@nepi23:
Nothing obviously visible.
Did you try other cards or changing the settings with pin2dmd.exe?

@pinballwil: it's getting easier and easier and with a little help from us even absolute beginners can do that.

Greetings,
Dom

#585 7 years ago
Quoted from Rappelbox:

@nepi23:
Nothing obviously visible.
Did you try other cards or changing the settings with pin2dmd.exe?

I have not tried other cards or to change settings with pin2dmd -
I will need to borrow a laptop from my neighbor in order to do that,
so that's why I am trying to think other ways to get it to work than to
reprogram the card But I guess that is the next step then - to try
another card and program it.

#586 7 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Reinserting the card and trying to clean it does not seem to help. I do not notice anything physically wrong with the reader and/or card - do you spot something that is out of order?

Is it possible that the SD card is not making good contact with the spring pins because it is resting on the 2 SMT parts? Can you gently press down on the SD card and try again?

That would be what I would try first to try and narrow down the issue.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#587 7 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

Is it possible that the SD card is not making good contact with the spring pins because it is resting on the 2 SMT parts? Can you gently press down on the SD card and try again?
That would be what I would try first to try and narrow down the issue.
Aaron
FAST Pinball

Thanks, I will try it next!

#588 7 years ago

I tried pressing down the card with no luck, still its in the virtual pinball mode.
I also tried copying the files on the microsd-card (16 GB) to another card (2 GB), but no success
there either. I will attach here a picture of the files that were on the card. I will next try configure
the card again with pin2dmd-software.

Pin2DMD_Content_(resized).jpgPin2DMD_Content_(resized).jpg

EDIT: I also tried Pin2DMD and with it reseted the device and changed it into WPC-95
without luck, still in "Virtual Pinball"-mode

#589 7 years ago

I formatted a new FAT32-card (2 GB) and put it into the memory card reader, started pin2dmd.exe, changed palette and display brightness, selected bally/williams as the machine and saved config. Still in the "virtual pinball" mode. I took the card from the memory reader and put it into my computer: no files present on the card. Apparently there are problems with the pin2dmd:s reader then. I'll contact pinballsp about this.

#590 7 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

I formatted a new FAT32-card (2 GB) and put it into the memory card reader, started pin2dmd.exe, changed palette and display brightness, selected bally/williams as the machine and saved config. Still in the "virtual pinball" mode. I took the card from the memory reader and put it into my computer: no files present on the card. Apparently there are problems with the pin2dmd:s reader then. I'll contact pinballsp about this.

When you saved it, did you actually save it to the SD card? I don't think there's any code in the FW to actually *remove* files.

#591 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

When you saved it, did you actually save it to the SD card? I don't think there's any code in the FW to actually *remove* files.

I had formatted a new microSD-card and used that. It had no files on it. When one chooses "save config" with pin2dmd.exe, it should save the new configuration files on the card?

#592 7 years ago

Hello Marko.

I have reply also by private.
If red led status is always lit and SD card is FAT/FAT32 formated, and you have choose correct pinball manufacturer, then probably is a fail of controller board.

But be sure SD card FAT/FAT32 formated, and also check that you choose correct pinball manufacturer, because of also red led lit when for example your pinball is Bally/Williams and you select a different manufacturer.

If you may check continuity with a tester, I may put here several pictures with points you must check between SD socket and microcontroller, to check if some pin solder is wrong and not continuity in some SD signal (CS, SDI, SDO, CLRK, GND, +3v3).

And dont worry about warranty, ALL my products have 2 years of warranty if product get defective, warranty include free repair or replacement. Freight cost if free to Spain and Portugal, only must pay for rest of countries.

Kind of Regards.

#593 7 years ago

To separate it from the normal pin2dmd thread, I opened a new one especially for SEGA/DataEast 192x64 Pixel Displays here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-needs-a-sega-192x64-replacement

Greetings,
Dom

4 weeks later
#594 7 years ago

Pinballsp took good care of my board and now everything is working just fine! Thanks Luis!

#595 7 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Pinballsp took good care of my board and now everything is working just fine! Thanks Luis!

Hello Marko
I'm glad that everything has worked well.

#596 7 years ago

New version 2.33 with Spike and Gottlieb sync changes on github
Also improved upgrade procedure for wifi firmware.

#597 7 years ago

I was having trouble updating the firmware on the pinballSP DMDST32 display.

Even though windows has the drivers installed, the ST Link Utility does not appear to be able to detect that the device is connected. Is there an extra step that I'm missing? Does a button or jumper need to be set on the board first?

#598 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I was having trouble updating the firmware on the pinballSP DMDST32 display.
Even though windows has the drivers installed, the ST Link Utility does not appear to be able to detect that the device is connected. Is there an extra step that I'm missing? Does a button or jumper need to be set on the board first?

What is your board, green or black ??

Only a few green boards with WIFI in the begining were with ST programmer. Next most Green and all Black update by DFU USB, Green with two jumpers and Black with DIP switch.

Put a picture to check what is your board version.

#599 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

What is your board, green or black ??
Only a few green boards with WIFI in the begining were with ST programmer. Next most Green and all Black update by DFU USB, Green with two jumpers and Black with DIP switch.
Put a picture to check what is your board version.

Black with the dip switches. Currently, switch 1 is down, and switch 2 is up. I have no documentation on what those switches are supposed to do--or any documentation at all, other than what is posted on pin2dmd.com

20160908233211277 (resized).jpg20160908233211277 (resized).jpg

#600 7 years ago

Ok.

DIP Switch 1: not useful currently, reserved for future updates.
DIP Switch 2: UP position run firmware, DOWN position enter in Boot mode to update firmware by DFU USB.

If you connect board by USB to computer, you must use DFU USB to update firmware, can not use ST-LINK utility. In the board there is a 4 pin connector (DIO, GND, CLK, +3v) to program it with a ST programmer and ST-LINK utility, but with Black boards do not provide programmer because update by DFU USB.

These are full instructions to update firmware in Black board by DFU USB.
==============================================

1.- Download and install DFU USB software from this link
https://mega.nz/#!5VNHQDTK!ihMgspp6ww1IVRiD8_1KdtSozR8_72kbDnC14JnrKeA

2.- Dowload last DFU firmare version file from Github (choose .dfu file):
https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/tree/master/firmware/latest

3.- Change Boot DIP Switch position (Switch 2 to DOWN position) to enter in update mode (DFU USB mode), then connect USB cable to PC computer (do not connect power supply to DMD).

i35.servimg.com_u_f35_19_51_27_33_boot10 (resized).jpgi35.servimg.com_u_f35_19_51_27_33_boot10 (resized).jpg

4.- Run DFUSeDemo software. In "Available DFU Devices" you must to see "STM Device in DFU Mode". if do not see it, check Board DIP Switch 2 status, put it in DOWN position (Update mode, step 3).

INSTRUCCIONES_001 (resized).jpgINSTRUCCIONES_001 (resized).jpg

5.- Push "Choose" button from "Upgrade or Verify Action", then select then new DFU file firmware that you have download from Github.

dfu_usb_888 (resized).jpgdfu_usb_888 (resized).jpg

6.- Push "Upgrade" button to load new firmware. In bottom of screen may see status of update.

dfu_usb_777 (resized).jpgdfu_usb_777 (resized).jpg

7.- If all ok, screen will display message of success in bottom (File correctly loaded).

INSTRUCCIONES_003 (resized).jpgINSTRUCCIONES_003 (resized).jpg

8.- Modify Boot DIP switch to initial position (Switch 2 to UP) and reset device to run new firmware.

i35.servimg.com_u_f35_19_51_27_33_boot10 (resized).jpgi35.servimg.com_u_f35_19_51_27_33_boot10 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

$ 12.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 1,159.00
5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 64.99
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

3,481 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, NE
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,459 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 30.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stolen-pin2dmd-color-rgb-controller-from-pinballspcom/page/12?hl=lucky1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.