Topic Stats

• 182 posts
  • 79 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Gexchange
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 10 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
480x360.jpg
av.jpg
image.jpg
DropItLikeItsHot.gif
6084314bf18212715fdcc3c5c43e40e8.jpg
k2-_356282eb-3aa2-4b16-88a1-11b58bda4525.v1.jpg
shock.jpg
pinball-lock-bolt.jpg
image-resize.php.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider calvin12.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

And you guys say Avengers is a bad machine. And yet someone liked it enough to steal one.

The thief probably figured it wouldn't be missed.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You're probably thinking of A-GPS.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS
That does use cell triangulation, but only to help with the satellite signal. You're right in that you can do some poor man's GPS stuff with just cell towers, but iPhones have proper GPS capabilities.

I think he's talking about the towers when the phone is indoors and can't get a gps signal

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballkyle:

That is an AWESOME idea - I would buy many! It would probably be fairly easy to make, and cheap too. I bet if you couldn't fold the game down without opening the head, that game would have still been there today...
Other techniques to keep your game safe (which I do on some games)
1. Extra long leg bolts with double nuts on the inside. It makes it very hard to take legs off. Do it on 2 of the legs, one on the front and one on the back.
2. The no-drill security hasp by Suzo Happ. This way it makes it hard to break into the machine.

doubtful, then they came they likely moved in head up, legs on. They probably didn't have the correct keys and if they were pretending to be service, drilling the locks would have looked a bit suspicious. Kids working at the snack bar wouldn't likely even know the legs can be removed and the head comes down.

#60 4 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

Technology similar to a dog's shock collar should be used. The machine moves too far away from the "base," and the thief gets zapped.
shock.jpg

it would also make slide saves a lot more interesting.

#62 4 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Nope. Plenty of GPS devices that are not smartphones or have wi-fi that work without a view of the sky. The technology doesn't work that way. It's not optical.

its not about optics, its about a relatively weak signal that does not penetrate steel and concrete well. have fun using a gps in downtown chicago. The concrete canyons make it hard to get good signals even in the streets. WAAS enabled GPS is better when the LOS conditions are poor though, but still not perfect.

#68 4 years ago

That's not the same think as "needs a view of the sky".

yeah it pretty much is. its right in the operating directions for most units, this is from garmin: acquiring GPS Signal 2. if necessary go outdoors to an open area, away from trees and tall buildings.
from tomtom:
Your device must be used outdoors, in an open area without tall buildings or trees too close to where you are.
Your device must have a clear view of the sky
Your device must find a minimum of four satellites.

not every manufacturer by any means but they all suck inside of buildings. The heavier the building the worse they get. wood frame house, might be ok, concrete or steel building, iffy at best.

#72 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Not all GPS devices are created equal. Navigation GPS devices need two-way data communication with a satellite. A GPS locator is essentially just a beacon.

if its just acting as a HF beacon pinging its not GPS. If its a gps based beacon its actually going to need to send the signal to the satellites to be relayed. The would still be greatly attenuated by the building. (consumer grade stuff). like the crazy GPS back country watches you can buy.

#76 4 years ago

No, it's not. Drop it.

yes it is, you drop it. take any gps you have outside look at your signal strengths, take the same unit indoors your signal will drop. take it into the basement away form any windows its gonna drop more. actually if your unit will map the signals, move around and watch signals drop as the sats get hidden by obstructions even outdoors. sitting in my office right now in a old concrete building 4 feet from a window I can get 4 satellites which will drop to 0 and them go back as high as 4. if i move the unit to the window I get 9 solid.

#81 4 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Dropping signal strength ≠ no signal.

when it drops far enough, yes.

#83 4 years ago

I can open up a GPS device for the first time INSIDE a building, without every having a "view of the sky" and it will work.
You are wrong.
Drop it now.

I can take that same unit and have it not work in a building too, you are wrong, drop it. Building dependent, location dependent, unit dependent. just because you think your captain kirk, you really aren't.

#92 4 years ago

God know facts that make a freaking point that is ON TOPIC aren't allowed in this place.

#119 4 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

this made reading the argument between these two worth it...

gotta keep it light

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Greeley, CO
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 69.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider calvin12.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside