Topic Stats

• 182 posts
  • 79 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Gexchange
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 10 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
480x360.jpg
av.jpg
image.jpg
DropItLikeItsHot.gif
6084314bf18212715fdcc3c5c43e40e8.jpg
k2-_356282eb-3aa2-4b16-88a1-11b58bda4525.v1.jpg
shock.jpg
pinball-lock-bolt.jpg
image-resize.php.jpg

There are 182 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 4 years ago

Going down 40 steps without removing the head and legs? I doubt it but you never know. Remember they approached the staff so they need to at least appear professional. They had a plan, they knew what the machine was worth, and I would think they would know how to dismantle...

Not only that, they would also need to load it in a vehicle. If they didn't have a power lift gate, they would be screwed without taking the legs off and head down...

If theater can't supply video, then something really weird is going on!

#52 4 years ago

Why not just install one of these on the bottom of the cab and chain the games all together with locks?

Granted, a home collector may not like having a couple extra small holes in the bottom of the game but then again, they aren't likely to be a buyer of a routed game anyways. Seems like a cheap and easy way to make it even harder to steal.

Something like this bracket installed using bolts (smooth on the outside and lock nuts on the inside) should work pretty well.

image-resize.php.jpg

#53 4 years ago

That will make transporting hard. You won't be able to slide the game when loading into a truck, and if you put this part on it's back you won't be able to dolly it correctly and it wont sit flat. I guess you could remove/and reinstall tho, that would be a quick job.

Quoted from 85vett:

Why not just install one of these on the bottom of the cab and chain the games all together with locks?
Granted, a home collector may not like having a couple extra small holes in the bottom of the game but then again, they aren't likely to be a buyer of a routed game anyways. Seems like a cheap and easy way to make it even harder to steal.
Something like this bracket installed using bolts (smooth on the outside and lock nuts on the inside) should work pretty well.
image-resize.php.jpg

#54 4 years ago

I have actually seen Pins Chained to walls

the rear legs had chains welded to them then locked to eye holes in the walls

this was at a rest stop years ago

Think it was a Johnny Mnemonic

#55 4 years ago

Well, I'm working for a company that makes trackers that works using mostly GSM triangulation, not using GPS (only using it when extreme precision is needed). Believe me, the GPS really need a good view of the sky for working, and too much battery (reason why we are pursuing a pure GSM triangulation).

Maybe in the future we can thinking about creating an arcade machines anti-steal solution

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

I have actually seen Pins Chained to walls
the rear legs had chains welded to them then locked to eye holes in the walls
this was at a rest stop years ago
Think it was a Johnny Mnemonic

I take it they did something to make the legs irremovable from the cab too?

#57 4 years ago

As already mentioned, just putting a nut on the inside of leg bolt would make the bolt not removable without opening up the cabinet.

Especially if you used a nyloc nut, the threaded bracket in the cabinet would probably just get stripped out if someone went crazy with a wrench but the nyloc would just turn with the bolt and not come off.

#58 4 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

image-resize.php.jpg

or invert it? (sample view from under the cab)

pinball-lock-bolt.jpg

#59 4 years ago

Technology similar to a dog's shock collar should be used. The machine moves too far away from the "base," and the thief gets zapped.

shock.jpg

#60 4 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

Technology similar to a dog's shock collar should be used. The machine moves too far away from the "base," and the thief gets zapped.
shock.jpg

it would also make slide saves a lot more interesting.

#61 4 years ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

As a rule of thumb yes. The building will attenuate the GPS signal and if your device miraculously locks on, it'll be inaccurate due to the signal bouncing off the surfaces.
Like others said, an Iphone or other device will use multiple techniques including the accelerometer to supplement the GPS.

Nope. Plenty of GPS devices that are not smartphones or have wi-fi that work without a view of the sky. The technology doesn't work that way. It's not optical.

#62 4 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Nope. Plenty of GPS devices that are not smartphones or have wi-fi that work without a view of the sky. The technology doesn't work that way. It's not optical.

its not about optics, its about a relatively weak signal that does not penetrate steel and concrete well. have fun using a gps in downtown chicago. The concrete canyons make it hard to get good signals even in the streets. WAAS enabled GPS is better when the LOS conditions are poor though, but still not perfect.

#63 4 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

its not about optics, its about a relatively weak signal that does not penetrate steel and concrete well. have fun using a gps in downtown chicago. The concrete canyons make it hard to get good signals even in the streets. WAAS enabled GPS is better when the LOS conditions are poor though, but still not perfect.

That's not the same think as "needs a view of the sky".

#64 4 years ago
Quoted from mg81:

As already mentioned, just putting a nut on the inside of leg bolt would make the bolt not removable without opening up the cabinet.
Especially if you used a nyloc nut, the threaded bracket in the cabinet would probably just get stripped out if someone went crazy with a wrench but the nyloc would just turn with the bolt and not come off.

Every time I get a new pin in that has this done, I am pissed. Its such a pain to deal with. Obviously not as bad as a stolen machine, but still sucks to deal with.

#65 4 years ago

Long ago I bought a few container games that came from Germany. They all had holes in the side of the cabinets. I asked about the holes and was told Ops would run a chain thru the cabinets to chain pins together. One game, a TAF had a small hole in the bottom near the coin door. It looked like someone use a small knife to drill a hole to use a wire to reach up and trip the coin switch fro free games.

#66 4 years ago

I'll search South Canada for it. (A.K.A. Florida)

It sucks when people steal anything, but to steal a pinball...Fortunately, everybody into this hobby is like one of the watchers from Highlander. You can't pass a pinball without taking notice. I'm sure any Hulks in the wild that show up will be checked for #93.

We had a collector have a lot of his collection stolen down here while he was away. The good news, is the thieves left the area, but not the state. 200+ miles away one of his machines was located, which lead to the recovery by the police of much of what was stolen. So there is hope.

Hope it's found,
-Dan

#67 4 years ago

I have seen a golden tee game chained as well. giant loop bracket mounted on the back of a already burly game
&
then huge chain secure to the wall! the game was always safe and sound.

#68 4 years ago

That's not the same think as "needs a view of the sky".

yeah it pretty much is. its right in the operating directions for most units, this is from garmin: acquiring GPS Signal 2. if necessary go outdoors to an open area, away from trees and tall buildings.
from tomtom:
Your device must be used outdoors, in an open area without tall buildings or trees too close to where you are.
Your device must have a clear view of the sky
Your device must find a minimum of four satellites.

not every manufacturer by any means but they all suck inside of buildings. The heavier the building the worse they get. wood frame house, might be ok, concrete or steel building, iffy at best.

#69 4 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

yeah it pretty much is. its right in the operating directions for most units, this is from garmin: acquiring GPS Signal 2. if necessary go outdoors to an open area, away from trees and tall buildings.

Not all GPS devices are created equal. Navigation GPS devices need two-way data communication with a satellite. A GPS locator is essentially just a beacon.

#70 4 years ago

If someone wants to steal something bad enough they will. The best thing is camera system, You can even install one so the employees dont know. At least you will have something to show on late night tv. And with the price of CCTV systems its a no brainer. At my work we got cameras all over the place, even hidden ones. Think about how many times during the day we are recorded and not even know it.

#71 4 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

image-resize.php.jpg

use this idea but U-bolt threw back leg bolts . nuts concealed inside chain or cable thru U-bolt. no damage. i would do both back legs.

#72 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Not all GPS devices are created equal. Navigation GPS devices need two-way data communication with a satellite. A GPS locator is essentially just a beacon.

if its just acting as a HF beacon pinging its not GPS. If its a gps based beacon its actually going to need to send the signal to the satellites to be relayed. The would still be greatly attenuated by the building. (consumer grade stuff). like the crazy GPS back country watches you can buy.

#73 4 years ago

Games walk out of places like laundromats all the time.

The sole employee "just went to pick up lunch" and like magic, the game is gone.

#74 4 years ago

Hi all I am the unfortunate soul this happened too.
People always tell me if something bad gonna happen it will be me.
Anyways to get to the point camera footage is corrupted by a camera system from the 90 no joke.
The owner is very cheap does not want to call insurance anyways allot of red tape for me,Unfortunately it was awesome earner on root almost 800 every 2 weeks.
Plus I know people hate this machine I love it, also it was my hope when machine was done on route would go to my house I am a huge hulk nut trust me have the tattoo to prove it.
Anyways the city of gatineau cops are useless as tits on a bull sorry to say.
At first i told them it was stolen oh its small potatoes cut your loss.
Then when I showed them value oh it worth allot more then i figured but use insurance if we recover the machine will let you know don't hold breath where busy with more important things.
Also there are gps system one actually called boomerang great ideas problem 30 bucks a year per machine seeing i have over 150 machines i would go broke fast.
Now dealing with owner not fun I just hope somebody just leaves it on the road for somebody to find it or call me or send me a message its over here anonymously.
I normally want people to pay for there sins but if they give it back to me i would drop any charges ect i just want my machine back.
But thanks for everyone help I appreciate it.
thanks you.

#75 4 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

from tomtom:
Your device must be used outdoors, in an open area without tall buildings or trees too close to where you are.
Your device must have a clear view of the sky
Your device must find a minimum of four satellites.
not every manufacturer by any means but they all suck inside of buildings. The heavier the building the worse they get. wood frame house, might be ok, concrete or steel building, iffy at best.

No, it's not. Drop it.

#76 4 years ago

No, it's not. Drop it.

yes it is, you drop it. take any gps you have outside look at your signal strengths, take the same unit indoors your signal will drop. take it into the basement away form any windows its gonna drop more. actually if your unit will map the signals, move around and watch signals drop as the sats get hidden by obstructions even outdoors. sitting in my office right now in a old concrete building 4 feet from a window I can get 4 satellites which will drop to 0 and them go back as high as 4. if i move the unit to the window I get 9 solid.

#77 4 years ago

Put a window alarm inside back box and as soon as it is folded down The whole place knows

http://www.walmart.com/ip/25900018?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227017992323&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40880702072&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78810808232&veh=sem

k2-_356282eb-3aa2-4b16-88a1-11b58bda4525.v1.jpg
#78 4 years ago
Quoted from ethous:

Anyways to get to the point camera footage is corrupted by a camera system from the 90 no joke.
The owner is very cheap does not want to call insurance anyways allot of red tape for me,Unfortunately it was awesome earner on root almost 800 every 2 weeks.
Plus I know people hate this machine I love it, also it was my hope when machine was done on route would go to my house I am a huge hulk nut trust me have the tattoo to prove it.
Anyways the city of gatineau cops are useless as tits on a
Now dealing with owner not fun I just hope somebody just leaves it on the road for somebody to find it or call me or send me a message its over here anonymously.
I normally want people to pay for there sins but if they give it back to me i would drop any charges ect i just want my machine back.
I know Might sound stupid one of my clients is a member of hells agels and I gave hells angels a 300$

bounty on whoever found it, at this point i don't care how i get it back.
thanks you.

Ur machine is probably sitting in the clubhouse in hull

#79 4 years ago
Quoted from ethous:

Anyways the city of gatineau cops are useless as tits on a bull sorry to say.
At first i told them it was stolen oh its small potatoes cut your loss.
Then when I showed them value oh it worth allot more then i figured but use insurance if we recover the machine will let you know don't hold breath where busy with more important things.
Also there are gps system one actually called boomerang great ideas problem 30 bucks a year per machine seeing i have over 150 machines i would go broke fast.
I know Might sound stupid one of my clients is a member of hells agels and I gave hells angels a 300$ bounty on whoever found it, at this point i don't care how i get it back.
thanks you.

When you say the security footage was "corrupted" what do you mean? Is the recorder VHS based or computer based with a hard disk? The reason I am asking is it it likely possible to retrieve the corrupted/deleted data if it's a computer-based system that uses a hard drive.

#80 4 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

yes it is, you drop it. take any gps you have outside look at your signal strengths, take the same unit indoors your signal will drop. take it into the basement away form any windows its gonna drop more. actually if your unit will map the signals, move around and watch signals drop as the sats get hidden by obstructions even outdoors.

Dropping signal strength ≠ no signal. I'll say it again, my iPhone tracks via GPS with no problems indoors. Actually it's so accurate that it shows which part of the house I am in. Now let's get back on topic, please.

#81 4 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Dropping signal strength ≠ no signal.

when it drops far enough, yes.

#82 4 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

yes it is, you drop it. take any gps you have outside look at your signal strengths, take the same unit indoors your signal will drop. take it into the basement away form any windows its gonna drop more. actually if your unit will map the signals, move around and watch signals drop as the sats get hidden by obstructions even outdoors. sitting in my office right now in a old concrete building 4 feet from a window I can get 4 satellites which will drop to 0 and them go back as high as 4. if i move the unit to the window I get 9 solid.

I can open up a GPS device for the first time INSIDE a building, without every having a "view of the sky" and it will work.

You are wrong.

Drop it now.

#83 4 years ago

I can open up a GPS device for the first time INSIDE a building, without every having a "view of the sky" and it will work.
You are wrong.
Drop it now.

I can take that same unit and have it not work in a building too, you are wrong, drop it. Building dependent, location dependent, unit dependent. just because you think your captain kirk, you really aren't.

#84 4 years ago
Quoted from ethous:

I know Might sound stupid one of my clients is a member of hells agels and I gave hells angels a 300$ bounty on whoever found it

If you do this...you'll probably get it back....

#85 4 years ago

No, it's not. Drop it.

Quoted from calvin12:

yes it is, you drop it.

You are wrong.
Drop it now.

Quoted from calvin12:

you are wrong, drop it

Quoted from ethous:

Good luck man! If they try and sell it to a pinhead maybe they'll get caught out, you never know.

#86 4 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

I can take that same unit and have it not work in a building too, you are wrong, drop it. Building dependent, location dependent, unit dependent. just because you think your captain kirk, you really aren't.

You are wrong.
Drop it now.

Maybe you can you people do this over PM? No one cares

#87 4 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

If you do this...you'll probably get it back....

However, it might not be #93

#88 4 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

Maybe you can you people do this over PM? No one cares

6084314bf18212715fdcc3c5c43e40e8.jpg
#89 4 years ago

corrupted as in to cheap to upgrade system they have a 3 day window then it records over the footage but the building there in has footage but it's waiting for them to get back to police

#90 4 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

That's too much!!!!!!

#92 4 years ago

God know facts that make a freaking point that is ON TOPIC aren't allowed in this place.

#93 4 years ago

No, it's not. Drop it.

Quoted from calvin12:

yes it is, you drop it.

You are wrong.
Drop it now.

Quoted from calvin12:

you are wrong, drop it.

DropItLikeItsHot.gif
#94 4 years ago

Found him!

image.jpg
#95 4 years ago

Yup, Calvin was wrong...now on to new business. There are 250 confirmed Avengers Hulk units out there. That is actually the good news. Nobody can really sell it or move it without somebody taking notice.

Thieves do steal for their private amusement, but most often the motivation is money. Also, there is the pressing need to get rid of evidence to grand theft. I doubt I have to say keep an eye on eBay and craigslist for the next few months, but I said it anyway.

Anybody finds it...call the cops immediately. (Then tell us about it.)

-Dan

#96 4 years ago

Okay all let's keep this thread about the stolen machine and not about GPS. A seperate thread can be created for that.

#97 4 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Okay all let's keep this thread about the stolen machine and not about GPS. A seperate thread can be created for that.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/available-technologies-that-could-be-used-for-tracking-your-pins

#99 4 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

laughed so hard, I actually lost my gum!!

#100 4 years ago
Quoted from ethous:

That's rough, cheap theater owner has non-working cameras, employees that let machines walk out, doesn't want to go through insurance, and still won't compensate you for the loss. Sounds like he knows you want to keep his account and he's got you by the nuts. He won't pay you any cash out of pocket if that's his attitude. But maybe he'd give you a better split of the earnings until the pin is repaid...worth a shot.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 69.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Tulsa, OK
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Greeley, CO
8,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Novato, CA
There are 182 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside