Topic Stats

• 182 posts
  • 79 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Gexchange
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 10 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
480x360.jpg
av.jpg
image.jpg
DropItLikeItsHot.gif
6084314bf18212715fdcc3c5c43e40e8.jpg
k2-_356282eb-3aa2-4b16-88a1-11b58bda4525.v1.jpg
shock.jpg
pinball-lock-bolt.jpg
image-resize.php.jpg

There are 182 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 4 years ago

Hi folks,
Just wanted to let you guys know that one of our friends here in the Canadian National Capital got their Hulk #93 stolen from a Cinema 9 movie theatre (out of all places). The thieves had to get the game down 40 steps and an elevator and out the door to get this pulled off. You need a major set of balls to pull that off and an extreme high level of stupidity. If any of you guys spot it please alert me or ethous on maaca.org and contact your local police and Gatineau police at (819) 246-0222.

Hope we find the bastards.

#2 4 years ago

any footage of the event?

#3 4 years ago

Good luck. That really sucks. Is the movie theatre providing security camera tape of the theft? If not, I think it's fairly clear that it would be an inside job.

#4 4 years ago

Damn sorry man.....it's amazing to me how many pinball machines get stolen.....hope you find it.................Joey

#5 4 years ago

Apparently the guys just walked in the theatre and told the junior staff the machine was broken and that they had to service it and bring it back in two weeks. They are still trying to gain access to footage...and yes this could be an inside job...

My friend spent years getting a solid route going. Although the cinema is responsible for the theft. My friend is kinda caught in limbo about what to do.

More information to come as he updates.

#6 4 years ago

How can there not be any video of this from their surveillance cameras inside AND outside the building? These guys are on video somewhere.

I hope they catch those bastards! GL.

#7 4 years ago

Theft happens often on route. He should almost expect one every year or two. Given the contract I have if it occurs it is the locations responsibility just like if there was any negligent damage to the machine. Sounds like the cinema will be covering the theft for him and if that's the case he will likely walk away with more than the machine is worth. If it were me, I would have a replacement machine already in its place. Sadly thefts are a part of operating machines, it's why we have insurance and why locations are liable for proper security of equipment. This whole thing sucks for him but he needs to consider it a cost of doing business and move forward. If every operator shut down after something like this they would all be out of business.

I have operators who also have ATMs out there. Those thefts and break ins really hurt.

#8 4 years ago

I've often considered whether putting a GPS unit in each of my games would be a wise investment.

amazon.com link »

#9 4 years ago

Will be interesting to see what the camera shows. If there are no cameras pointing in that area, it's an inside job.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

I've often considered whether putting a GPS unit in each of my games would be a wise investment.
amazon.com link »

Not a bad idea but several problems with that. That unit only has 240 hours of stand-by battery. You could plug it in to the service outlet but you would have to find out quickly about the theft and react just as fast. Anyone who is stealing a pinball is probably going to be somewhat knowledgeable and drill out the lock. They will likely see the strange cord in there.

Sorry to hear about the game though. That's rough, quite a bit of this happening lately

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

amazon.com link »

GPS has to have a view of the sky to work. This isn't a good solution. It'll just lock onto the last time it was powered up with a view of the sky.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from futurepinhead:

Not a bad idea but several problems with that. That unit only has 240 hours of stand-by battery.

You could always rig an explosive if the coin door is not opened in a certain way that disables it.

#13 4 years ago

I know it doesn't solve the Problem with current titles but as stern develops the new hardware it would be nice to see a LoJack type system where at some point the machines could be remotely disabled and require a password to unlock or Internet connection to update the game which would then give up the location of the machine. I know some people fear technology like this because someone could be spying on them but I think it would help eliminate some of the issues like this. The only thing it wouldn't eliminate is stealing a game and stripping it of parts but generally that isn't worth the time to do anyway.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

GPS has to have a view of the sky to work. This isn't a good solution. It'll just lock onto the last time it was powered up with a view of the sky.

Yeah, it was just an example but there are other products coming out like "Tile".

https://www.thetileapp.com/

#15 4 years ago

Hulk Hogan WWE or Avengers Hulk?

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Hulk Hogan WWE or Avengers Hulk?

Avengers is the game linked to the thread by the OP.

#17 4 years ago

Avengers Hulk

I know ethous as well. Feel terrible.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from futurepinhead:

Not a bad idea but several problems with that. That unit only has 240 hours of stand-by battery. You could plug it in to the service outlet but you would have to find out quickly about the theft and react just as fast. Anyone who is stealing a pinball is probably going to be somewhat knowledgeable and drill out the lock. They will likely see the strange cord in there.
Sorry to hear about the game though. That's rough, quite a bit of this happening lately

Depending on what the thing runs on I don't think it would be unrealistic to hardwire a device into a 12v or 5v supply line in the game - somewhere inconspicuous and reasonably difficult for the average idiot thief to notice or remove - soldered right on a board (on the backside even?), under the PF, maybe on the wiring harness in the back of the cab?

Whether the signal is strong enough is another problem, but wiring in the device should be almost as easy as installing a semi-involved mod if it can run on 5v or 12v. A car lo-jack device must run off 12v and be fairly small no?

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinfidel:

How can there not be any video of this from their surveillance cameras inside AND outside the building? These guys are on video somewhere.
I hope they catch those bastards! GL.

True. If there are any gas stations nearby maybe he should check with them. He might be lucky to see the type of truck/van that passed by at the time of the theft.

#20 4 years ago

And you guys say Avengers is a bad machine. And yet someone liked it enough to steal one. Just trying to make some lemonade out of those lemons.

Really hope they find this but I'm betting that's a slim chance. Some guy in Houston had his BBB stolen out of his Garage and it sounded like the cops didn't even want to do anything about it.

Good luck on the search.

#21 4 years ago

I always considered pins to be one thing that was safe from being stolen due to their sheer size and weight. Sorry to hear this happened. Hopefully these jackasses get what is coming to them. They're gonna have a hard time selling it, given the # is out there now. What are they gonna do, keep it in their house and charge their friends to play it? Maybe they think thought they could make money by putting their own money in it.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

And you guys say Avengers is a bad machine. And yet someone liked it enough to steal one.

The thief probably figured it wouldn't be missed.

#23 4 years ago

Well, the thief's weren't pinheads after all they stole a "Hulk LE". Maybe you'll get luck and they will play a game on it and figure out what pinheads they really are and bring it back. "Just kidding" I have to say that's allot work to get a pin. Surly it will pop up pinballs are kinda hard to hide. Plus, if they are they stupid they will list it somewhere. It had to be 2 or 3 guys to move it like that.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

The thief probably figured it wouldn't be missed.

bazinga. Got me there

#25 4 years ago

I don't know what you guys are talking about. I love this game. Very original layout, great shots, fantastic sounds and dots, etc. etc. Just because it's not the typical cookie cutter game doesn't mean it's not a great game. I think Gomez did a fantastic job.

#26 4 years ago

I agree and love AV (own a pro). It's just not well liked by most pinheads. Hope they find it, just not to confident it will turn up now.

just for you flash - "#wheresthehulk"

#27 4 years ago

would there be a record if it crossed into the USA or Just crosses no duties ??

Maybe contact border patrol regarding the theft to your region if that's possible

or as mentioned, it may be in a basement never to see the light of day again..

Sorry that happened, truly sucks ....

#28 4 years ago

Omfg.....a guy posted a few weeks ago jokingly that him and a buddy were going to do this...just put on overalls and tell them your the repair man....genius really....but are there not cameras everywhere now....I swear homeless in NYC have cameras in there cardboard boxes...........Joey

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

View of the sky? LOL!

No.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

Not necessarily the case. My iPhone tracks via GPS just fine in my house. The signals are actually pretty difficult to block.

#31 4 years ago

Your iphone tracks your position by triangulating the signals from cell-phone towers, not by receiving a signal from globally positioned satellites.

#32 4 years ago

I mark the insides of my games with ultra violet sharpie. It has my phone number and other stuff, so that if my stuff does get stolen and pops up its easy for the cops to see whos games it truly is. Isnt full proof but its a thought for route ops.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Not necessarily the case. My iPhone tracks via GPS just fine in my house. The signals are actually pretty difficult to block.

Quoted from Nullpunkt:

Your iphone tracks your position by triangulating the signals from cell-phone towers, not by receiving a signal from globally positioned satellites.

It uses a mixture of whatever is available at the time

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from Nullpunkt:

You're probably thinking of A-GPS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS

That does use cell triangulation, but only to help with the satellite signal. You're right in that you can do some poor man's GPS stuff with just cell towers, but iPhones have proper GPS capabilities.

#35 4 years ago

Man that sucks. I hope they catch those asswipes. I'd put money on an inside job.

#36 4 years ago

Terrible news. I hope they get the game back.

LTG : (

#37 4 years ago

Having worked as an assistant manager of a movie theatre back in the day, this doesn't surprise me too much. Lots of people around and unless the operator is around frequently, most employees would probably assume they are who they say they are...

One of our competitors Theatre was robbed by a guy who dressed up as a manager, went behind the concession stand and told the employees he was the new assistant manager and he was just doing his mid rush cash pull. He obviously knew how the theatre operated, and to do it in the middle of a weekend rush, when everyone is too busy to pay attention.

I guess it could happen to any pin in a public place.

Sorry to hear it happened.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You're probably thinking of A-GPS.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS
That does use cell triangulation, but only to help with the satellite signal. You're right in that you can do some poor man's GPS stuff with just cell towers, but iPhones have proper GPS capabilities.

I think he's talking about the towers when the phone is indoors and can't get a gps signal

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

View of the sky? LOL!
No.

As a rule of thumb yes. The building will attenuate the GPS signal and if your device miraculously locks on, it'll be inaccurate due to the signal bouncing off the surfaces.

Like others said, an Iphone or other device will use multiple techniques including the accelerometer to supplement the GPS.

#40 4 years ago

We went from a missing machine to flux capacitors in less than one page...amazing

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

We went from a missing machine to flux capacitors in less than one page...amazing

That is pretty funny, lol. It is a good discussion though, that should probably be moved to another thread (Available technologies that could be used for tracking your pins). I'm on it.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/available-technologies-that-could-be-used-for-tracking-your-pins

#42 4 years ago

Pinside at it's finest...... ....any leads yet OP....???....anything at all caught on video...???.............Joey

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

That is pretty funny, lol. It is a good discussion though, that should probably be moved to another thread (Available technologies that could be used for tracking your pins). I'm on it.

Went thru it in the stolen BBB thread...sure we will again the the next "my xxx was stolen" thread....crazy that this is the second one I've seen in my few short months here....thief's are the worst form of human life.....if you don't get them I hope karma does.....bad things happen to bad people.............Joey

#44 4 years ago

Nope

Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

Pinside at it's finest...... ....any leads yet OP....???....anything at all caught on video...???.............Joey

#45 4 years ago

Crazy idea, maybe they should start making a lock bolt for the head or legs, like a wheel lock nut on your car. Just make it harder to fold down and move. Not that expensive of a deterrent either.

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from volkdrive:

Crazy idea, maybe they should start making a lock bolt for the head or legs, like a wheel lock nut on your car. Just make it harder to fold down and move. Not that expensive of a deterrent either.

You know that is a really smart idea. You should get a Product designer to make it for you and sell it. Even leg bolts with a hole at the end and a lock pin for each bolt would work too. Only accessible from the inside.

#47 4 years ago

Just add some Dumbbells in the cab lol. I've often fantisized about "saving" a medieval madness with no working lights from a local shit hole bar...

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from volkdrive:

That is an AWESOME idea - I would buy many! It would probably be fairly easy to make, and cheap too. I bet if you couldn't fold the game down without opening the head, that game would have still been there today...

Other techniques to keep your game safe (which I do on some games)

1. Extra long leg bolts with double nuts on the inside. It makes it very hard to take legs off. Do it on 2 of the legs, one on the front and one on the back.
2. The no-drill security hasp by Suzo Happ. This way it makes it hard to break into the machine.

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballkyle:

That is an AWESOME idea - I would buy many! It would probably be fairly easy to make, and cheap too. I bet if you couldn't fold the game down without opening the head, that game would have still been there today...
Other techniques to keep your game safe (which I do on some games)
1. Extra long leg bolts with double nuts on the inside. It makes it very hard to take legs off. Do it on 2 of the legs, one on the front and one on the back.
2. The no-drill security hasp by Suzo Happ. This way it makes it hard to break into the machine.

doubtful, then they came they likely moved in head up, legs on. They probably didn't have the correct keys and if they were pretending to be service, drilling the locks would have looked a bit suspicious. Kids working at the snack bar wouldn't likely even know the legs can be removed and the head comes down.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 69.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Sale Pending!
Granite Bay, CA
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 16.00
There are 182 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside