Topic Stats

• 987 posts
  • 308 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by captainadam_21
  • Topic is favorited by 27 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 39 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Stuart.jpg
good hands.jpg
jack-handey-1.jpg
download (2).jpg
IMAG4894.jpg
download-191.jpg
image-800.jpg
download.jpg
butt cup flip.gif
billy-ripken.jpg
Tadaaa.gif
2011-12-06 08.50.54.jpg
10441178_10203436680092204_5746283010950503844_n.jpg
10462491_10203436680252208_1682283359494369732_n.jpg
10406514_10203436679212182_1621158228862051236_n.jpg
flashback-lebowski.jpg

There are 987 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 20.
#251 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

OP has made 2 posts in this whole thread.

So you think he stole his own machine??!!

image.jpg

#252 4 years ago

My basement sucks to get pins into, but it would be really tough for some jackass to steal a pin from me at least. Hope you get the SOB!!

#253 4 years ago
Quoted from radium:

So you think he stole his own machine??!!

Perhaps that might be kind of a quantum leap from what was said...

However, now that you bring that up...it has been done--maybe not with a pinball machine--but with vehicles, vessels, art, jewelry, construction materials and equipment, business inventory--you name it.

#254 4 years ago

Unless it was a targeted theft, I cannot see anyone lifting a 300 lb box unless they know the value. I have my own, and dread moving them! And logically, who would break into a garage for scrap? Any copper is in the walls, and not an ideal/easy item to grab.

I agree with many others- you know the thief, or friend of the thief-

Either way, I hope you get it back. Or worse case get compensated for its real value.

#255 4 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Perhaps that might be kind of a quantum leap from what was said...

I agree. I don't think that RobT was accusing the OP of insurance fraud.

Based on the joke amounts insurance companies pay out for home liabilities, it wouldn't be worth it anyway:

insurance.jpg

#256 4 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Based on the joke amounts insurance companies pay out for home liabilities, it wouldn't be worth it anyway.

Exactly. On both counts.

#257 4 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Based on the joke amounts insurance companies pay out for home liabilities, it wouldn't be worth it anyway.

insurance.jpg 29 KB

You'll notice pinball machines are not on the list. If it's not specifically excluded, or limited, it's covered. Most insurance companies cover them the same as your couch or TV, at full replacement value. My insurance company will give me enough money to replace a pin, as long as I can substantiate the value to their satisfaction.

#258 4 years ago
Quoted from sed6:

My insurance company will give me enough money to replace a pin, as long as I can substantiate the value to their satisfaction.

Well in this case on a $20K pin, no insurance company is going to replace that value, even with bank proof of the cancelled instrument.

To an insurance company, $1000 is enough to replace a pinball machine.

#259 4 years ago

I think radiums post was meant to be a joke. I laughed.

Perhaps a no questions asked reward should be offered. That results in the thieves possibly getting away with it but at least the machine may be recovered. The reward just has to exceed the fencing value...which I have no idea how to calculate.

#260 4 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Well in this case on a $20K pin, no insurance company is going to replace that value, even with bank proof of the cancelled instrument.

I think magic mike is right (though I think they would go higher than 1k, I don't see them handing out 20k). They will likely need to be forced through the courts to pay full value.

#261 4 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Based on the joke amounts insurance companies pay out for home liabilities, it wouldn't be worth it anyway:

insurance.jpg 29 KB

Wrong, I had a twilight zone stolen out of a trailer along with snowmobile equipment and other items. My insurance did not cap me at any special limit. I still had my reciept so I was covered for the purchase price. What sucked is I purchased as a beater, completely shopped it out put hundreds of dollars in parts and plenty of time to make the game nice and was not compensated for that because I could not show a value.

#262 4 years ago

Clients of mine who had a Genie stolen from them, were told by the insurance company that "electronic devices" had a cap of $1500, and "commercial equipment" had a cap of $1000.

They have a separate rider on their homeowners now.....

#263 4 years ago

Like I have said before; Insurance companies are your friend, until something goes wrong.

#264 4 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Well if you lay down for the insurance company and have a crap agent and no lawyer. But as an agent, my clients do better. If a client buys replacement cost on their contents, that's what they are getting. An item must be specifically excluded or it's covered. Done deal. I have seen several high dollar collectibles replaced after total losses.

You can google this if you like, insurance companies pay replacement cost for pins if you have replacement cost coverage on contents. 20k is fine. Could there be crappy little no name insurance companies that try to dodge this bullet? Certainly. Can you buy coverage that is NOT replacement cost? Sure. Many do. Could you have over a 20k deductible? Again, yes. State Farm is pushing the % deductible concept in many areas now and a 3-5% deductible on a million dollar home can add up rapidly.

Put it this way, if my BBB is stolen, I get a new one or a check for replacement cost AND a smile and a handshake and many "so sorry this happened to you" from the company. It's replacement cost on contents in my policy and pins are not scheduled. So they are covered.

Note-disputing the validity of the claim is another mater entirely.

BTW - insurance companies are really vulnerable right now due to several factors. It's so bad you might get pain and suffering for a theft! That's either great attorneys or crappy companies causing that.

#265 4 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

Again, yes. State Farm is pushing the % deductible concept in many areas now and a 3-5% deductible on a million dollar home can add up rapidly.

Yeah - we have % deductible here unless you have some sort of rider. I use USAA which I consider unbeatable - don't know if its them or just the way Texas works.

#266 4 years ago

The sad part is the game was stolen by a hack who will post on Ebay/Craigslist for $1,000 or worse by someone from the pinball community and will not go for sale.

#267 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Like I have said before; Insurance companies are your friend, until something goes wrong.

I used to think this too. We have car and home insurance with the same company for 20+ years. Never had any claims until just this year. I hit a deer with my car and everything was fixed and covered by the insurance company.

Then in July our home and outbuildings were all damaged by hail. They had an agent come out and inspect everything that was damaged. They concluded that all the siding on the north and west sides needed replacing, all roofing was damaged, some windows, all gutters, shutters and fascia on the west were damaged. They cut us a check for full replacement including materials and labor no questions asked. The amount they calculated was staggering. I thought I would have only gotten a fraction of the amount. We have a $1000 deductible and they waived $25/year that we never had a claim; so about $500 was our cost.

I'm sure all insurance companies are different, but ours is amazing.

On my pins I have an Excel spreadsheet with each game, serial number and a replacement value along with pictures. Even though they are all covered under the homeowner policy, it's nice to have documentation so there are no questions if something were to happen.

#268 4 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

On my pins I have an Excel spreadsheet with each game, serial number and a replacement value along with pictures. Even though they are all covered under the homeowner policy, it's nice to have documentation so there are no questions if something were to happen.

Be sure to have that excel spreadsheet saved to the cloud, or on an offsite backup. If your laptop is lost or stolen, or destroyed in a fire, you should have an off site copy of the file.

#269 4 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Be sure to have that excel spreadsheet saved to the cloud, or on an offsite backup. If your laptop is lost or stolen, or destroyed in a fire, you should have an off site copy of the file.

It's on Dropbox.

#270 4 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

It's on Dropbox.

I keep mine in iCloud next to my nude selfies.

#271 4 years ago
Quoted from radium:

I keep mine in iCloud next to my nude selfies

Are you the naked guy in the photos with Kate Upton?

#272 4 years ago
Quoted from radium:

I keep mine in iCloud next to my nude selfies.

Ok, I have to admit that I choked on my coffee laughing when I read this.

#273 4 years ago

Maybe Stern should invest in GPS tracker (add-ons for $200?) units in the LE machines they make...

at first thought its nutty.. at second thought.. hummmmmmmmmmm Stern can track its pinballs and their movements... big brother, marketing, theft/loss prevention.. hummmmmm

#274 4 years ago

I do not tolerate theft at all. I think Singapore has it right in that If you are caught stealing with hard evidence beyond a reasonable doubt, the punishment is death by hanging. The result is that they have probably one of the lowest theft rates in the world. I totally disagree with most of their other laws though. William Gibson described Singapore as "Disneyland with the death penalty".

We are too soft on theft in this country.

#275 4 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

I do not tolerate theft at all. I think Singapore has it right in that If you are caught stealing with hard evidence beyond a reasonable doubt, the punishment is death by hanging. The result is that they have probably one of the lowest theft rates in the world. I totally disagree with most of their other laws though. William Gibson described Singapore as "Disneyland with the death penalty".
We are too soft on theft in this country.

That's a little harsh wouldn't you say? Wow.

#276 4 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

I think Singapore has it right in that If you are caught stealing with hard evidence beyond a reasonable doubt, the punishment is death by hanging.

Downside is that once you commit theft you wil go down guns blazing - the punishment isn't any worse after you commit the theft, might as well kill your way out of getting caught. Same problem with "3 strikes and your out" type laws. Staged punishments provide better incentives, in my opinion.

#277 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

That's a little harsh wouldn't you say? Wow.

Have you ever had anything significant stolen from you that you worked very hard for in order to earn? I know It is harsh, but the point is that they have zero tolerance for it, so nobody does it.

We tolerate theft here with a slap on the wrist. I think at least we could get some Hammurabi shit going on here, cut of people's hands or noses or something. The problem is that we have a perpetual theft cycle. These guys get caught, go to jail for a bit, get out, can't get work (or don't want to) and go right back to stealing. They have nothing to lose and everything to gain from it.

Quoted from btw75:

the punishment isn't any worse after you commit the theft, might as well kill your way out of getting caught.

That is a valid point, but the notion that you will be hung if you are caught is generally enough for anyone to think twice about doing so, and I'd imagine thieves aren't willing to risk their lives over stealing and having to gun fight their way out of a situation. They would do that regardless if they are that ruthless. What happened in Singapore after these laws were instated was that people just stopped stealing all together. The risk/reward is not worth your life.

#278 4 years ago

Where the hell is this thread going....???!!!.........Joey

#279 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Again, the gates were a diversionary tactic.
Scrappers are not burglars.
No scrapper is going to drive around in their Cop Magnet overloaded stake truck committing Grand Larceny.

Maybe....Maybe not. There are honest "scrapers" who take metal legally and there are opportunist thieves who also scrap. Be on the lookout for all of the above.

#280 4 years ago

maybe a prank by one of the OP's pinball buddies...

#281 4 years ago
Quoted from JAXPinball:

Now that would be a great prank. I can't lie I could see a few of my friends doing this to eachother...but the truth would come out as soon as the one getting pranked called the cops but well after the anger and crying was filmed.

#282 4 years ago

If my friends did one of these "pranks" they would no longer be my friends.

#283 4 years ago
Quoted from JAXPinball:

The account looks to go back quite a few months with legit posts... I don't think there is any support for this theory unless the account was highjacked. I don't like where the thread is going and I am going to ignore it until there is an update.

#284 4 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

Put it this way, if my BBB is stolen, I get a new one or a check for replacement cost AND a smile and a handshake and many "so sorry this happened to you" from the company. It's replacement cost on contents in my policy and pins are not scheduled. So they are covered.

...............and a big fat renewal bill.

#285 4 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

The account looks to go back quite a few months with legit posts...

I was speculating on a pin buddy removing the property to prank the OP.

#286 4 years ago

Not that this helps, but, everyone should have a rider on their homeowners or renters insurance to cover the expensive toys. Send a copy of the inventory to your insurance company every year with current market values. They can argue with you later, but at least it wasn't like they didn't know about it. That reminds me...

#287 4 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

everyone should have a rider on their homeowners or renters insurance

This is actually good advice... many of us live in hurricane, flood, or tornado zones

#288 4 years ago
Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

Where the hell is this thread going....???!!!.........Joey

Hahaha, to hell and back. Derail. My bad. These kind of threads just lend themselves to all sorts of crazy discussions and opinions. Now back to getting this BBB back home.
one-does-not-simply-stay-on-topic.jpg

#289 4 years ago

We've had something of a crime spree in our subdivision this year, with eight or nine break-ins, including the house directly behind ours. This in a neighborhood that experienced virtually no crime whatsoever for the previous fifteen years of its existence. Unsurprisingly, it has made me far more security conscious. I always set the alarm now when out, added cameras, toughened doors and locks, etc. My wife thinks I am a bit paranoid, which might well be true, but I know how awful I'd feel if this happened to me. I hope the op at least gets a reasonable settlement out of his insurance company.

#290 4 years ago

Very bad......
Have take only this?
Because.... if have take only the BBB... this bastards know good the price of your "baby".... :'(

#292 4 years ago

I have been robbed many times by my white trash neighbors kids. They wait until I leave and they break my windows and grab as much as they can before the police arrive due to the alarm they know is in the house. Police have done nothing due to them being under 18. Penalty for stealing should be much higher than it is now. One major problem is that certain groups in the population would be much more affected and that would create controversy.

#293 4 years ago

Fire bad.

#294 4 years ago
Quoted from davjoszie:

If my friends did one of these "pranks" they would no longer be my friends.

I agree depending on the friend. A while back my friend and I were thinking about removing all the arcade/pins from our other friends garage across the street. We lacked any energy but when we told the third guy our plans he said he wished we would have so he could have coated his garage floor and do some other repairs in it that he couldn't get to. My point is you need to know your friends that can handle such a prank and I am sure the OP wishes it were the case. Still feeling bad for the OP.

#295 4 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

The sad part is the game was stolen by a hack who will post on Ebay/Craigslist for $1,000 or worse by someone from the pinball community and will not go for sale.

I don't think it was stolen by a hack. I think someone who knows its value took it. Thats a lot of risk and effort for $1000. It took planning to heist something that big.
Someone knows the value and will probably hide it for a good year before listing it somewhere.
If they are caught, they should be charged with a major theft as opposed to a misdemeanor. $20,000 puts it in the major theft bracket doesn't it? Not just the misdemeanor $1000 bracket.
I think a newspaper article on the theft would be a good idea. It will let the thieves know they are in for serious trouble when caught, not just a slap on the wrist, also it will alert anyone to keep an eye out for a BBB.

#296 4 years ago
Quoted from jesster64:

$20,000 puts it in the major theft bracket doesn't it? Not just the misdemeanor $1000 bracket.
I think a newspaper article on the theft would be a good idea. It will let the thieves know they are in for serious trouble when caught, not just a slap on the wrist, also it will alert anyone to keep an eye out for a BBB.

Yes, at $1,500 it becomes a state jail felony, and at $10,000 a third degree felony in Texas.

#297 4 years ago
Quoted from skquinn:

Yes, at $1,500 it becomes a state jail felony, and at $10,000 a third degree felony in Texas.

There's also the possibility that they would dispose of it to avoid getting caught when they realize this.

I might add a "return with no questions asked" sort of thing just to have a chance at having it returned.

#298 4 years ago

It's Texas, there's a good chance it'll turn up inside an apartment complex dumpster.

#299 4 years ago
Quoted from Quiddity:

It's Texas, there's a good chance it'll turn up inside an apartment complex dumpster.

#300 4 years ago
Quoted from Quiddity:

The real question is whether vultures will pick it clean, or will a stork return it with that dumpster fresh scent.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
18,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Spanish Fork, UT
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Iron Monger Decal Out of stock
Flashinstinct
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
$ 69.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 8,500.00
Pinball Machine
PinballSTAR Amusements
$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
There are 987 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 20.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside