butt cup flip.gif
billy-ripken.jpg
Tadaaa.gif
2011-12-06 08.50.54.jpg
10441178_10203436680092204_5746283010950503844_n.jpg
10462491_10203436680252208_1682283359494369732_n.jpg
10406514_10203436679212182_1621158228862051236_n.jpg
flashback-lebowski.jpg
There are 1,001 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 21.
#901 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

it's all good, but at least get your stereotypes right. maybe you're thinking of West Virginia? VA is pretty upscale. VA has the #1 and #2 wealthiest counties in the entire United States, and has five of the top ten. I grew up in Fairfax (#5) and currently live in Prince William (#9).

those are where the crooked politicians live, oh wait isn't crooked politician redundant?

#902 9 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

those are where the crooked politicians live, oh wait isn't crooked politician redundant?

Politicians maintain their residence in their home state. Virginia has no more representatives than any other state its size. the wealth is from the abundance of DoD IT contracting jobs.

#903 9 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

Feel free to continue to blame the victim then. Bolt down everything your garage folks or if it is stolen it is your fault!
My dad (and every other farmer) leaves expensive farm equipment sitting out in the field overnight all alone. Miles from anyone. What would you suggest they do so it isn't their fault if it gets stolen?

Amazingly enough there are a substantial number of thieves of large farm equipment too! Bolt cutter, large flat bed, and even the largest piece of equipment can be taken in a matter of minutes. If it has value, there is someone out there who will take it.

#904 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Politicians maintain their residence in their home state. Virginia has no more representatives than any other state its size. the wealth is from the abundance of DoD IT contracting jobs.

Of course, but they all have places out east for the rare times they are required to attend sessions.

#905 9 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

Of course, but they all have places out east for the rare times they are required to attend sessions.

sure, and the crooks even gave themselves a tax rebate for it. but they file their taxes in their home state like everyone else. the point is politician income isn't inflating northern VA's wealth stats.

(edit: changed "pay" to "file" ... big difference, hah)

#906 9 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

I'm sure everyone knows

Lol.

#907 9 years ago

No reply or update from the OP, so I will add my two cents about the tangent topics-

Over the last 15 years, I have had 3 major insurance losses in my life-
1) Moving company truck (18-wheeler type) burned to ground when I moved.
2) House took direct hit by lightning, resulting in losing all electronics, HVAC, computers, etc.
3) Hurricane/Hail damage to house, which required roof replacement

Perhaps I am in the minority, but all were resolved successfully, no insurance hassles, and "Replacement Value" basically replaced old with new. It took a lot of work, patience, and documentation, but at the end of the day I was more than satisfied. So I will disagree that all insurance companies and their agents are terrible.

Biggest lessons I learned, especially after #1:
1) Document all purchases. I charge EVERYTHING I can now, so I have a formal record of everything purchased, and when it was purchased. Credit card annual spending reports are also backed up offsite. I also photograph stuff periodically (mostly before hurricanes).
2) Periodically reevaluate your policy.

On a separate note, is it really a surprise that an insurance company will not scratch a $20,000 check for a pinball machine, when they didn't even know that the OP owned one? See #2.

Looking forward to an update from OP.

#908 9 years ago

Again, to clarify, I have never said insurance Agents are scum. Insurance companies are another matter.

#909 9 years ago

Oh if an agent says "It's covered." IT IS. Even if the insurance company denies the claim, his statement about coverage is DEFINITELY enough to get him on the hook through his agency Errors and Omissions policy. My agents never say those dreaded words, "it's covered" because once they say it, it is covered, even if out of their own pocket! Totally hypothetical and does not apply here in any way.

#910 9 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

Yeah a lot of people make the mistake of viewing the Insurance Company as a person, someone who could be nice and that you don't want to badmouth, etc. Insurance Companies are in it to win it and have no sympathy for anyone as they are not people. Agents can be good or bad, usually good if you deal with long-term good standing people. But Companies strictly do not want to pay out ever. It's their business to collect, not pay out.

If insurance companies are not a person how can they "want" anything?

#911 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

If insurance companies are not a person how can they "want" anything?

"If an Insurance COmpaNy fails in the woods, does anyone care?"
Deep thoughts by jack handey.

jack-handey-1.jpgjack-handey-1.jpg

#912 9 years ago

Don't you have to be a person to have good hands?

good hands.jpggood hands.jpg

#913 9 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

"If an Insurance COmpaNy fails in the woods, does anyone care?"
Deep thoughts by jack handey.

jack-handey-1.jpg 13 KB

That isn't Jack Handy, that's Stuart Smalley.
Stuart.jpgStuart.jpg

#914 9 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

Stuart.jpg 21 KB

ohhh yeah
I think Allstate dropped me on my head a few times as a baby.

#915 9 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

Stuart.jpg 21 KB

also.......a politician.

#916 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

it's all good, but at least get your stereotypes right. maybe you're thinking of West Virginia? VA is pretty upscale. VA has the #1 and #2 wealthiest counties in the entire United States, and has five of the top ten. I grew up in Fairfax (#5) and currently live in Prince William (#9).

Uh... We have cars... And teeth... And shoes.... And pinball... Just wanted to clear things up here.

#917 9 years ago

Did the OP find his pin?

#918 9 years ago

Fighting it out with insurance co I guess

#919 9 years ago

My Insurance Agent's response to my question; "Are my games covered"?

BTW: I too would like to hear an update from the OP on his BBB game. I also think this "insurance" discussion is appropriate to this BBB thread... as the OP indicated he has only been offered $3600 for his BBB by his insurance company.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Kerry,

All the pinball machines will be covered by your personal property
Portion of your homeowners.

State Farm will be the replacement cost coverage at the time of the loss in the future.

That would be a negotiation between you & the claims adjuster. I feel that you
Would get the fair market value at the time of the loss.

I hope that answers your question.

#920 9 years ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

I FEEL that you

Feeeeeel.

#921 9 years ago

#922 9 years ago

That sounds very bad.

Might I suggest you change your policy to a pre-determined value payout?

#923 9 years ago

My Insurance Agent's response to my question; "Are my games covered"?
BTW: I too would like to hear an update from the OP on his BBB game. I also think this "insurance" discussion is appropriate to this BBB thread... as the OP indicated he has only been offered $3600 for his BBB by his insurance company.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Kerry,
All the pinball machines will be covered by your personal property
Portion of your homeowners.
State Farm will be the replacement cost coverage at the time of the loss in the future.
I hope that answers your question.

Also referred to as "contents" coverage. Of which you can always raise or lower the amount. For each acquisition I make, IE: home electronics, pinball's, furniture, etc, I always revisit the contents coverage to see that it is enough for my needs. Recurring appraisals of select valuable contents items are always recommended too.

#924 9 years ago
Quoted from ShootForSlrValue:

Uh... We have cars... And teeth... And shoes.... And pinball... Just wanted to clear things up here.

You guys have disappointed me. My state is the obvious target here.

#925 9 years ago

#926 9 years ago

I feel that you
Would get the fair market value at the time of the loss

What is their definition of "fair market value"? If one beater BBB sold for $4000, is that FMV to them? Or is it an average selling price. Definition with big companies can be very tricky. They often times do not mean what you think they mean.

#927 9 years ago

A good indicator of replacement/fair market price would be ebay prices!!

#928 9 years ago

Definition with big companies can be very tricky. They often times do not mean what you think they mean

Excellent example. Beef labeled "grass fed only". You'd think they only ate grass until they were butchered...wrong!!

#929 9 years ago

Excellent example. Beef labeled "grass fed only". You'd think they only ate grass until they were butchered...wrong!!

The stuff I buy is.

#930 9 years ago

Quoted from btw75:

The stuff I buy is.

Ready for your mind to be blown. Corn is a type of grass.

#931 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That sounds very bad.
Might I suggest you change your policy to a pre-determined value payout?

Unless you have below average condition pins. If you have a bunch of mint, HUO pins and they want a fair market value I am sure it will be less than what it would cost to replace HUO MINT. DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT. May I even suggest an appraisal provided by someone in the business of selling pins like The Pinball Company etc.

1 week later
#932 9 years ago

any updates ?

find it, insurance cover it?

#933 9 years ago

I would think replacement cost would mean that if your raven was stolen the insurance would buy you a new stern. This would only apply if you treated it as a game like a pool table not a collectible. Sadly the BBB would get replaced with the same NIB stern.

#934 9 years ago

Pfft, Raven it worth 2 NIB Sterns.

#935 9 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

Raven is worth 2 NIB Sterns.

It used to be. But, quoth the raven: nevermore.

#936 9 years ago

I have been following this post from the beginning and basically keep checking in from time to time to see if OP lets us all know how he made out. Reading through 2 things really amaze me about some of the replys.

First off a good many people question why he would leave his best machine behind instead of moving that early on. I think I would have done the same thing if I was moving. Logically the guy was moving from where he lived and felt safe into a new environment - logic would tell me I am safer somewhere I have been a while than someplace new. You know you neighbors - know the neighborhood - etc. So why would he move the most expensive stuff to the new house first?

Second - insurance companies - everyone has had different experiences with them but bottom line until you have a claim you really have no idea how things will be handled. From my experience insurance companies love getting your money but they are hell to get money out of when you have a claim regardless of type of insurance or what an agent tells you.

Bottom line is this guy lost a very expensive pin and no one will know how things turn out until he settles with his insurance company or pin is recovered (which seems highly unlikely). My bet is it became scrap metal (really sad!).

In any event hopefully OP will update us at some point. I wish him well and feel very sorry for anyone who has to deal with a loss like this.

#937 9 years ago

I can't give an opinion on a stolen game, as I have not personally experienced it. But, I can give firsthand experience on dealing with loss with an insurance company.

A broken water supply line caused a flood into my basement that totaled about 8 arcades, a shuffleboard, Valley dart board, air hockey table and a couple of pins. My insurance company paid me the amount I estimated for replacement on all items with no hassle. I showed ebay listings and/or KLOV/RGP/Pinside posts for all items as an accepted market estimate. Not one ounce of pushback on any estimate. And this was for normal homeowners insurance with full replacement value.

My agent said an additional rider wasn't necessary, as these weren't used for any commercial purposes and essentially were the equivalent to another person's high-end home theater, etc.

Insurance companies aren't out to screw you for the most part. They are on the lookout for those that want to screw them with bogus claims and falsified losses. A police report filed on a stolen pin should be enough to get full replacement with reasonably good insurance.

#938 9 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

I can't give an opinion on a stolen game, as I have not personally experienced it. But, I can give firsthand experience on dealing with loss with an insurance company.
A broken water supply line caused a flood into my basement that totaled about 8 arcades, a shuffleboard, Valley dart board, air hockey table and a couple of pins. My insurance company paid me the amount I estimated for replacement on all items with no hassle. I showed ebay listings and/or KLOV/RGP/Pinside posts for all items as an accepted market estimate. Not one ounce of pushback on any estimate. And this was for normal homeowners insurance with full replacement value.
My agent said an additional rider wasn't necessary, as these weren't used for any commercial purposes and essentially were the equivalent to another person's high-end home theater, etc.
Insurance companies aren't out to screw you for the most part. They are on the lookout for those that want to screw them with bogus claims and falsified losses. A police report filed on a stolen pin should be enough to get full replacement with reasonably good insurance.

Wow...that's an insurance co. that I would actually WANT to do business with...care to mention their name?

#939 9 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

I experience the same thing. I had three machines in my garage and a waterline pipe above them burst. The insurance company (Progressive) paid out on them with no issue at all. I provided them with Boston Pinball ebay prices information as well as using the Price Guide book. I received more than I anticipated and they paid me to haul the machines away! They did not argue or try to negotiate anything. He took pictures and the information. Agent even then went on and gave me additional money for the ruined insulation which I completely forgot about.

#940 9 years ago
Quoted from CubeSnake:

Wow...that's an insurance co. that I would actually WANT to do business with...care to mention their name?

who was the insur comp?

#942 9 years ago

yes please let us get off the insurance conversation

#943 9 years ago

State Farm insurance...not he cheapest, but I guess you get what you pay for

#944 9 years ago

Was there any follow-up from Houston PD?

#945 9 years ago
Quoted from Jumping-Box:

Was there any follow-up from Houston PD?

There's no follow up from OP, so who knows

Tim

#946 9 years ago

he said in an earlier post that its not even on the radar for the Houston P.D

#947 9 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

he said in an earlier post that its not even on the radar for the Houston P.D

of course not. real police aren't like law and order. they are more like:

#948 9 years ago

I keep checking this thread hoping to hear some good news.

#949 9 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

I keep checking this thread hoping to hear some good news.

me too

#950 9 years ago

Me 3..............Joey

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 209.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

30,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Victoria, BC
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 1,001 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 21.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stolen-big-bang-bar-153-houston/page/19 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.