200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5101 Roth conversion advice. Posted by iceman44 (3 years ago)

Post #19981 How To Read US Debt Clock Posted by pinnyheadhead (5 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider waddlejrjr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#311 7 years ago

Slightly off the topic of stocks, however I know bonds were brought up earlier and I'm kind of looking for more on that.

Is anyone able to give a good explanation of what to look for in individual corporate bonds, where to be looking, and how to make transactions? I've heard and read a decent amount about them recently, however I've really been struggling to find a place where the hard numbers are available, or a way to do transactions without going through a commercial brokerage firm that takes a significant percentage.

Thanks

3 years later
#3427 4 years ago

Planning on buying oil but have never bought before, anyone able to give me some quick tips on what/where to buy? I have a TD Ameritrade account set up that I use for stocks.

1 week later
#3664 3 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Planning on buying oil but have never bought before, anyone able to give me some quick tips on what/where to buy? I have a TD Ameritrade account set up that I use for stocks.

I was lazy and didn't do this yet. Very glad I waited.

Just woke up and missed all the chaos, is there somewhere I can go on TDAmeritrade to just buy straight up oil contracts? The last time I asked this the only tip I got was oil stocks, and when I browsed around I couldn't seem to find straight up oil contracts on there.

Thanks in advance for any help

#3695 3 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

If you're not already, since you have a TDAmeritrade account, download and use Thinkorswim.

Downloaded Thinkorswim and this is super helpful, thank you!

Still got some research to do on how the oil contracts actually work so I don't buy something stupid, but using this program to see it all is very helpful.

1 year later
#15494 2 years ago
Quoted from BRONX:

I see your point and aware of at&t spin-off. At&t will cut there dividents naturally and shares should drop due to spin-off. I'm calculating this investment as 3 companies now, potentially 3 dividents checks, and upside of the other 2 because they are hidden value traps burried deep in at&t balance books? Not sure though. Getting hard to find screaming deals nowadays on wall st. Everything is a nosebleed prices

The management's new planned dividend payment policy would likely cut the dividend by about 50% what it is now. The spin offs are unlikely to pay a dividend as Discovery already doesn't pay a dividend, and they'll be inheriting debt from AT&T that they'll have to pay. Theoretically it's possible that they do but I would plan on the worst case that way it's an upside if you get more than what you expect, not a loss if you get less.

Anyways though definitely don't look at AT&T as having an 8-9% dividend yield because that is back-looking at previous dividend payments that are not planned to continue. You can find other businesses paying yields like that but typically will have to look in other markets, America is very expensive right now overall.

1 month later
#15912 2 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

ATVI closed at $82 and the all cash deal is $95 a share. Leaves $13 a share or 15.8% on the table if you sell now. Risk is that the deal falls through or gets stopped by regulators. If the deal continues to progress, that delta will close over time.
In today's market a 15% guaranteed gain is nothing to sneeze at. But of course it isn't guaranteed. If the deal falls through ATVI would quickly fall back to it's pre-deal share price unless there is another buyer out there. That said, MSFT has a $3B deal breakup fee to pay ATVI if the deal gets stopped by regulators so they are prob confident it will go through.

It also isn't expected to go through until 2023, so you have both the chance that it won't go through, and that your money will be tied up in Activision while you wait to find out if the deal goes through or not.

If someone thinks Activision is worth this amount even if the deal doesn't go through (which I assume those people are out there since people were willing to pay this price for Activision a few months ago), it's probably a bet they're happy to take; they get a business that they like if the deal doesn't go through, and the 15% profit if it does. For someone who doesn't think Activision is fairly priced it's definitely a gamble, because if regulators don't approve and you don't get your 15% then you're stuck with a business you don't want that you don't expect to be worth what you paid for it.

Just like everything in investing it's all about people's personal take on the risk/reward of it. It's certainly an interesting proposition, 15% is a fantastic gain, even if you have to wait a year or so, but predicting government decisions is not really a fun game to be playing, and multiple governments have to approve this.

8 months later
#17669 1 year ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

My friend's 16 year old kid is looking to read up on investing and asked about an introduction to investing and the market type of book for beginners. Anyone have a suggestion? Thanks!

One Up On Wall Street by Peter Lynch

3 months later
#18701 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Not a whole lot to talk about over and over again if you are a long term investor.

That's the truth, I really find myself having nothing much to say here since things change so slowly, there's no one single day that makes or breaks a long term thesis, just gotta watch it develop overtime like watching paint dry.

Quoted from kool1:

Intel is a show me story to say the least. They have fallen so far behind that I'm not sure they will ever catch up at this point. If you are going into semis buy one of the leaders with a strong mobile presence. INTC is cheap for a reason.
"Intel reported weaker Dec-Q results on continued weakness in its PC segment that
was compounded by continued inventory corrections and continued weak
datacenter/enterprise demand. The weakness is expected to further deteriorate/
broaden in its other end market segments for the Mar-Qtr (double-digit% Q/Q
decline across all end segments) combined with an accelerated pace of customer
inventory digestion (CCG, DCAI, and NEX). As a result, the Mar-Qtr guidance
was well-below consensus expectations. Given the macro volatility, the team has
refrained from providing full year 2023 guidance".

People would've said the same thing about AMD a decade ago, AMD will never catch up, buy Intel instead, and look what happened since then. Catching those dynamic shifts is where the biggest money is made, because not only are you catching the growth, but you're also catching the multiple expansion that comes from when the hated player turns into the beloved player.

Gotta be doing the research and following along with the reports to be understanding about what the company's doing, how much cash and financing opportunities they have to actually achieve their goal, what they're spending on, and what progress they're making towards improving to determine that the management is capable of pulling it off.

I'd be looking to make sure the assets that are there are good and stable and justify the price I'm paying as to lower the risk, then keep that eye on how things can look a few years down the road and how things are developing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider waddlejrjr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders?tu=waddlejrjr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.