kuiil-have-spoken.gif
200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5101 Roth conversion advice. Posted by iceman44 (3 years ago)

Post #19981 How To Read US Debt Clock Posted by pinnyheadhead (5 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tramd.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6866 3 years ago

Not shorting, but I am holding onto about 25% liquid right now in my investment account (I normally hold 0-5%) and waiting and watching to buy when it seems right. I'm looking at BXMT, WOOF, CCL, AAL; and increasing my position in WMT. I would like this to be my best year yet but 47% return last year is going to be hard to beat.

#7021 3 years ago

I decided to go with some recs I've seen on here and bought about $8k of each SABR, LTC, and GAIN just now. I am commenting mostly to say that I am happy I found this thread and hope that I can make some useful suggestions in the future.

#7155 3 years ago

Sold my VSTO today at 31.2 (near the peak) and bought NOC. We'll see how this goes. I'm avoiding all the crazy Reddit stuff. I will buy and sell in the short term but am over 20 years from retirement so I can wait too.

I was also wondering how much of your investments are in stocks? I am 20% (32% return last year) with 10% in real estate (7% return last year) and the other 70% in my business (14% return last year).

EDIT: I calculated my 401k and my personal account that I manage in the 20% figure but only did the return from my active account and not my 401K. It is now correct.

#7452 3 years ago

After buying and selling AMC for a profit multiple times over the last few years, I most recently purchased it a few months ago at $10. I watched it sit at the bottom of my holdings for months and sold it today a bit above $16. It was one of my smaller holdings and I only made a little over $1000 but I was happy to sell it for a nice little gain. Thanks Reddit!

#8739 3 years ago

I am thinking about joining The Motley Fool. Anybody a member? Worth it?

#8770 3 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Out of curiosity, what do you consider to be a realistic rate of return (say over 20 years) to measure retirement position? I see all sorts of differing opinions on that.

For the last 80 years, the overall growth of the stock market is 7-10% per year averaged over any 20 year period. Inflation is typically 2-3% so your effective growth is 4-8%. I typically use 7% when calculating my target date for retirement.

#8780 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

However at this time we are at the end of a long bull market and PEs are unusually high which should lead to lower returns as the PEs should tend to go back down to normal.
I believe the last several years have returned higher than 7-10% which is baked into the high stock prices. Likely not going to see as good of returns in the next cycle.
I’m thinking a lot of new investors don’t remember the Great Recession of 2008 or the dot com bubble. And might not realize that stocks can go down as well. And not always return 7-10%.

That is why I said "averaged over any 20 year period". The last three years we have seen returns of 12-15% per year. I personally have averaged 30% return per year over the last three years but I don't use that number to calculated my long term returns. I am currently 40 and plan to retire in 20 years. I know that things won't be like this for the next 20 years and assume an average of a 7% return. Less than that over 20 years is possible but unlikely and if I do better, that's just gravy.

#9292 3 years ago

I use Fidelity and I like it a lot. I will have to get the active trader app as I do some trading almost every day.

This is a crazy time. My entire portfolio has been up 1-2% per DAY for the last 4 days. It isn't unusual to have it go up that much in a day but it usually drops down the next day or so by a similar amount. I have only been trading for 3 years but I have a feeling this can't continue and we are seeing a drop coming. I currently have 28% of my portfolio in Walmart. Walmart tends to weather drops in the market pretty well so if there is a big drop, I will probably sell 60% of my Walmart shares and put that in other stocks that fell but are likely to go back up over the next year after the fall. Eventually I will sell them off for profit and buy Walmart again. No guarantees, of course, but that's my plan.

What are others' thoughts on a potential drop in the near future and what are your plans prior to or in case of such?

#9350 3 years ago

When Bitcoin was starting to get into the thousands of USD per coin, I thought it was crazy and stupid and wondered why anyone would be foolish enough to think something less than vapor had that kind of value. The Bitcoiners told me that I just didn't understand and that it was the future of currency. So I did extensive research and educated myself on everything related to Bitcoin including mining, blockchain, typical use, etc. So now I realize that it is worse than I originally thought with all of the faults of cash and stocks (and a few faults new to Bitcoin) and none of the upside of either. It is purely a speculative bubble driven by FOMO and has no future. Does that mean that there won't be some people who get very rich from Bitcoin? No, of course there will be. But as with all bubbles, a few will get spectacularly rich while most will lose their asses.

#9430 3 years ago

Thanks to whoever it was that talked about PSTH, BXMT and GAIN a while back! Those are all doing well for me. Thank you!

I am fine with people discussing Bitcoin on this thread, FWIW. This is a pinball forum so this is all off-topic. I have to laugh at the guys saying Bitcoin is just like cash or stocks. No. Both of those have some of the flaws of Bitcoin but they are backed by something far more real: the US government or a large company and a stock exchange. Bitcoin is like the Emperor's new clothes of investments. People are saying it is the future of currency but hardly anybody is using it for currency, just a speculative investment. Those invested have to keep trying to dupe the rest of us into buying this crap so their investment goes up. Bitcoin is Myspace for now, but what about when Facebook comes into play? There is no limit on how many cryptocurrencies that can be made. How people are paying thousands for a fart in the wind is amazing to me. And this coming from someone who invests in Magic, the Gathering cards, literally just a piece of cardboard with printing on it that I am paying thousands for. That seems a little insane but they are at least tangible, difficult to accurately replicate, and serve a purpose for entertainment.

#9432 3 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

People do use bitcoin as a currency. It's just mostly for illegal stuff like buying drugs or paying off ransomware attacks.

Touche. Well, I guess if there had been a way to "invest" in the Central and South American cocaine trade without doing anything illegal yourself in the 80's that would have been pretty sweet. Maybe I should have more FOMO.

#9452 3 years ago

I bought PSTH this morning and just sold with an 11% gain in a few hours. Wish I could just do that every day; I could retire.

#9454 3 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Something is up behind the curtain

I got out at 33.07. I learned a long time ago that sometimes I regret not holding on but more often I REALLY regret holding on too long.

#9457 3 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

So....let's say you have $10, 25, maybe even $50k just sitting around...how do you invest it? Gold? Silver? Market?

How much does that $10K represent for your entire investment portfolio? Do you have a 401k already being smart about level of aggressiveness for your age? Do you already have X amount invested? If so, how much, and in what? Or is this your first foray into stocks? Do you have other income producing investments? Also, how old are you?

#9465 3 years ago

What am I missing when it comes to Apple? I have bought it before and then sold it a short time later. I just don't see how it has a market cap 5x that of Walmart. They don't even make the best phones. I switched from Samsung to Iphone once and went back two weeks later. Has it just gotten by on the name and the consistent share price increases and splitting creating faith in it? I just have never really gotten it.

#9502 3 years ago

Well shit...I guess I violated a trade rule (selling securities before they were paid for) too many times on Fidelity and am not allowed to buy securities with unsettled cash for 90 days. Yikes! I guess it's sell or HODL or wait to buy for me for 3 months. I am so angry with myself that I didn't check my messages warning me. I guess I have never checked those messages on banking apps because they were always worthless. Lesson learned. Learn from my mistakes and don't be me.

#9505 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

I'm guessing you can upgrade to a margin account if you have $25k balance and get rid of that 90 day restriction.

I have a $300k balance so thank you! I'll look into that.

#9561 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

So what just happened that the entire market just went straight down?

And of course my Fidelity app isn't showing all but two of my holdings.

#9686 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Funny how everyone brags about their profits, but never seem to hear about losses. Everyone can't be making money on every trade
Sitting on a bunch of XOM at $69

Very true, but I don't sell losses. I only have 3/23 holdings that are down and even at cost basis they only represent 3% of my total value in all stocks (they're worth 1.5% right now, unfortunately). My worst is NVCN. I got a tip from a friend a couple years ago and bought 54,000 shares (for about $1900, ha). It went up almost 18% in one day and I sold for a little $350 profit and bragged to my friend. My friend said "oh no, don't sell yet, it is going up way more". I rebought what I had and it has only tanked since and is now worth $106. Did I mention the friend is a super-attractive woman? I leave it there as a reminder to be happy to take my profits where I can and not get greedy. Now if I'd gotten greedy on Tesla, I could have made $180,000 instead of the $20,000 I did, but that's how things go sometimes.

#9696 3 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Yes! One pic will do! It would help us focus a little better on the stock market

I don't have a picture of her. Sorry. I wish I did.

#9702 3 years ago
Quoted from Soulstoner:

In the age of Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, I call BS!

I don't use any of those. I used to use Facebook but left when they kept censoring Right leaning posts specifically. Plus, I knew this girl from working with her but she left about a year ago. She's a 5'4", petite, fit, 30 year-old, beautiful blue-eyed brunette with high cheekbones and the best rear end and legs I've ever seen. You'll have to use your imagination from there.

And to make this post relevant after several that weren't. I went to 15% cash today and may do more tomorrow. That along with my 30% in Walmart are my plans for the impending crash (if it happens). I feel like the Gamestop story caused a LOT of people to start investing and maybe this isn't a bubble and we will instead see a permanent rise over the next few weeks. I don't know if that'd be nice or not; being rich when everyone else is too means you're not rich.

To appease the desire for a picture of a hot woman, here is my wife. And she's 38 and a mother of 5 kids, BTW.

Melissa1 (resized).jpgMelissa1 (resized).jpg
#9704 3 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

but does she approve of your pinball hobby?

My wife (the tall, curvy blonde) or my former co-worker (the petite brunette)?

EDIT: I know who you meant. So to save room...mostly.

#9706 3 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

thats a win. My wife hates pinball and hates that I spend so much money on it. But she also knows how well we do and that its fine. So she accepts that Im obsessed with it. She just doesnt join me in the basement to play the Pins. And when a new game is being brought in she makes sure shes out of the house. heh

That's actually pretty close to my wife. She used to play some but really doesn't anymore. And she got annoyed when I would spend $10k on a new machine and she would say "so now I get to buy something for ten thousand, right?" And I would respond with "sure, as long as it retains value like this pinball machine." One bonus is that in one of the rare circumstances when we had no kids in the house, she was willing to play pinball while engaged in adult behavior with me. Prior to Turtles co-op, that was one of the only ways to have two people score on a pinball machine at the same time.

Another frustrating day where my Fidelity app wasn't updating for all my holdings. Yesterday it was all but 2 that weren't updating and today it was only 4 holdings.

#9715 3 years ago

Just did my first after-hours trade since I got on margin on Fidelity. Bought CRWD.

#9844 3 years ago

Here I am refreshing at 9:30 ET and...President's Day.

I was doing some calculations and with my current rate of return so far in 2021, I'll be a billionaire in 16 years. At the current rate of return over the last two weeks, I'll be a billionaire in 2 years. So that seems completely plausible. No way this could be a bubble.

#9851 3 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

I did the same. Not sure who all normally gets today off, but I’m working. We don’t get many holidays off on the day of but instead get them at the end of the year as part of a 2-week shut down, which is pretty nice.

I work for myself and normally only take New Years, 4th of July, Christmas, and Thanksgiving off for holidays, along with 3-4 weeks of vacation. I could take as much time as I want off but I don't make any money and still pay my expenses when I don't go to work.

Quoted from Oaken:

I wish it was as balmy as 12 degrees outside.

It has been near or below zero F here for almost a week. I was just thinking this morning about when I lived in MN and it would do that for a month almost every winter. I don't miss that. I still remember walking my bundled up 3 and 1 year old sons through a parking lot at -20 F without wind chill to go meet their newborn brother in St. Paul 12 years ago.

#9877 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

I don’t have a particular price. I am looking to see where it is after lockup in a few days. I would speculate we would be in the mid to upper 20’s.

I went ahead and jumped in at 28.88.

#9883 3 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

I went ahead and jumped in at 28.88.

I also sold 1/3 of my CCL, doubled my positions in GE and DKNG, and bought some more WMT (which is 30% of my portfolio) to go 100% invested. I was holding 10% cash but this craziness appears to be continuing so I'll ride it a bit longer. I really think the combination of stimulus checks, everybody staying home, optimism for the end of the pandemic, and especially the GME ordeal is driving this with a ton of new, mostly small-time, investors. It will have to end some time but it seems a bit unprecedented and difficult to predict.

#9885 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

I'm holding with CCL for the long term. Curious why you jumped out. Up 8% today.

Just taking a little profit and getting some cash to buy other shares with. It is still my 2nd largest holding after Walmart.

#9943 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Sooner or later solid state lithium batteries will be the game changer the EV market needs.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ev-battery-startup-quantumscape-soars-230731748.html

I'll give it a shot. I bought 211 shares at 55.27.

#9947 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

It seems like it could take a few years before they could really take off. There are also other companies trying to do similar things.
If they are the company to do it then it could be huge. They do have Volkswagen on their side.
It seems like the kind of stock that could go to zero eventually or go up 100X if they get it right.

Up 4% since I bought it. Should be interesting.

#10012 3 years ago

Looks like I bought PLTR too early. Fixed that a bit by doubling my position this morning under $25. I also bought more WMT on the dip after missing earnings projection.

A Tesla Model S is my daily driver and I calculated that it costs me about the same for electricity as an ICE car that gets 100 miles to the gallon. Plus, you don't have to pay for oil changes.

#10131 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

... I just try to capture 5-10% moves with position sizes of $10k-20k...

This is precisely what I do. Sometimes it takes 3 hours. Sometimes it takes 2 years.

#10144 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

This "re-opening", despite the media's attempt and some states effort to continue the lockdown and fear and panic tactics is RAPIDLY approaching.
I believe i saw a number of 63 million people in the US already vaccinated and doing 2 million per day. Do the math.
By the April time frame hits its all-in game on.

Quoted from DBLM:

Your facts are slightly off but your thesis is correct. 13% of the population have gotten at least one shot, which is about 42M out of 329M. The numbers are current as of today.
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/01/28/960901166/how-is-the-covid-19-vaccination-campaign-going-in-your-state

Correct. 63 million DOSES, counting two for people who have received both doses.

Also, the people selling the vaccines don't seem to want this information out there, but there is an even better way to gain immunity to Covid-19 than the vaccine: prior infection and recovery. Some of the numbers will be doubled because there are people who had and recovered from Covid-19 but still got vaccinated. There are 28 million new cases so far. But the actual number of infected is probably 2-5x that number; because of people not getting tested or being asymptomatic. If we use a number on the more conservative end of that, 2.5x, that means 70 million infected (with most being recovered). So we have 1/3 of the population already having >95% immunity to severe infection and that number is rapidly rising with the current (and increasing) rate of 1.8 million vaccine doses per day. New cases are rapidly falling and deaths are also declining. The rational conclusion is that this is almost over.

But I guess I'm just not so optimistic. I would like to think that people would get fed up with this crap and start doing "high risk" things they used to do and enjoy but what I've seen from the majority of the population over the past year would lead me to believe otherwise. Scared followers have been proven to be far more common than rational thinkers.

I hope this isn't too off topic as it does relate to stocks that are affected by the response to Covid-19, such as CCL and AMC and many others.

#10145 3 years ago

So what are people buying today? I am thinking about getting back in on FVRR, PINS or PSTH.

#10149 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

FSLY is down $45 in 2 weeks. Don't know if it's cheap or not. I've been swing trading 200 shares of POSH for a few weeks. Buy around 69, sell 72-74. It works until it doesn't, but it's worked 4 times so far. Bought today to try for a fifth.

Sweet. I bought both, plus the three I mentioned in my post.

#10164 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

I'm cautiously optimistic and between these two scenarios. Biden pledged to ramp up vaccine availability to 300 million by July, if they get the supply up then distribution can step up through regular pharmacies, hospitals and the pop ups just like the flu shot. Amazon pop up clinics have been happening here now since they pledged to help, reports are they are really fast and efficient, I bet they are trying them in Seattle first before expanding them nation-wide.
But, with wide vaccine distribution, do you think Americans will suddenly feel comfortable being around people again? Do you think they will come back to restaurants, theaters, theme parks and hotels in the numbers they used to? From what I'm hearing from friends is many people think their behavior in public will forever be changed. There may be some very long lasting effects from the pandemic that change the way businesses operate forever, and I think a lot of those changes were already coming, it just sped the progress up towards more digital streaming, more delivery at home and less brick and mortar places. Personally I'm fine never stepping in a movie theater or department store again and I know I'm not alone there.

I think where you live makes a huge difference. In South Dakota, where we have had very little in the way of government mandates, life has been changed to a small degree. Many people are wearing masks in stores like Wal-Mart and offices (many are not), but they and restaurants are still busy; we have sporting events, malls, and movie theaters still open. We just had an indoor stock show in town a couple weeks that was packed full of people and an indoor rodeo that was also packed. The Sturgis Motorcycle Rally went by with no appreciable increase in cases. That is why so many people are moving to SD, FL, and TX where they can live without this "new normal" BS. I think most people are wanting things to go back to the way they were prior to March 2020 but unfortunately far too many people are irrationally scared and falsely believe that the mostly ineffective lockdowns, masking, and social distancing is the right thing to do. I can only hope that as more people discover the truth of what a massive overreaction this all was that it will go back to being weird when you ARE wearing a mask at Wal-Mart, as it should be. I don't need to go to the theater because I have a much nicer one in my basement, but I have continued to go to grocery stores, department stores, home improvement stores, sporting goods stores, book stores, electronics stores, etc during this entire past year and I want to continue to do so. And I know I am not alone because there are a whole bunch of other people there every time I do. I didn't really go to sport events or concerts before but I could see how they could be affected more, just like movies. With as good as streaming has become along with the insanely cheap, huge TVs you can now buy, theaters might very well be in trouble without some massive innovation to elevate the theater going experience.

Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Just like 9-11 changed the air industry. Covid will change life for many years to come.
My best friend and Dr just mentioned sat night that face masks in a clinic/ hospital situation may last a lifetime.

I hope not. I am a physician and will find a new path if I have to wear a stupid mask for the rest of my career.

#10169 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

I wouldn't use South Dakota as an example, infection rates in South Dakota have been the second highest in the entire country (125,850 per million) and the population of the entire state is smaller than that of most cities. Regardless of whether you think masks, social distancing and lockdowns are effective during an pandemic, outlier states like SD aren't very representative of how Americans will operate going forward, especially when it comes to your investment strategy. It's less about what you or I think and do - it's more about what the larger trends in behavior and business will be.

I was using what I know as an example because I live here. Cases aren't the best metric for how "well" a state is doing, deaths are a much better metric. Having a high case/fatality ratio would actually be a good thing. Furthermore, a disproportionate amount of severe cases and deaths are from the reservations, which have their own, much stricter, policies.

SD might be an "outlier" (in a good, non-draconian way) but my point about people moving here in droves over the last year speaks to the desires of people in other states to avoid and reject this "new normal".

Quoted from Zablon:

Can we stop with the 'everyone is stupid' comments. What you believe is not what everyone believes and it certainly doesn't make you right or wrong compared to anyone else. (unless you are a virologist)
On topic, reality is, this will change how things will be done going forward. Some in minor ways, some it big ways. Here, we try to figure out the way to be the most financially secure out of what might happen. One thing it certainly will do is make people much more twitchy regarding markets for some time.

Did I call someone stupid? Being irrationally fearful is not the same as stupidity. I am not a virologist but there is a large breadth of training that goes into getting through medical school, internship, and residency. I also have a sister with a PhD who did research on microorganisms and a father who is physician with a masters in epidemiology. Plus, I have a degree in mathematics and know how to critically evaluate data and research, something I have spent countless hours doing over the last year rather than listening to the news, politicians, technocrats, or anyone else with bias, for my information.

#10192 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

You will find investment advice and strategy based on politics not very welcome here and certainly less profitable. We are here to make money together, not to bs about politics.

Do you think politics affect stocks? I am interpreting this statement to mean you don't. Curious.

#10248 3 years ago

I am holding 20% in cash right now, waiting to get in on what feels like the bottom. Today seems early. I think there is further to fall. What are others thinking of doing?

#10254 3 years ago

A bunch of my stuff was down 5-15% and I was down 3.2% overall. I went to see one patient and come back 20 minutes later to see those same holdings down 2-8% and down 1.8% overall. Seems like it will be a volatile day but I am still guessing an impressive overall downward trend.

#10259 3 years ago

I just bought 5k each of PLTR, POSH, AMD, and WOOF.

I am holding 100k cash right now that I am expecting to be out of by the end of the week. This should be fun.

#10268 3 years ago

Maybe I need more patience. Now I bought $5k of each PINS, FVRR, WOOF, PLTR, POSH, AMD, CCIV, and ZM. AMD and CCIV were new to me; the rest I already had holdings in.

Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Thanks to iceman44, I look at days like these as opportunities to add to my longer term positions because they are on "sale". It's completely changed my mindset on red days for the better.

I'm watching Wal-Mart. It's my APPL and I think it is a bargain now and will be even better over the next few days. I will likely add a large increase in my position to it this week.

#10294 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Down 29.5% for the day but still way up this month. As an aside this is my day trading account and most of our money is in sensible mutual funds and ETFs.

I bought CCIV at 42 and again at 37 today. It was my only holding purchased today that went down significantly overall.

WOOF, ZM, CRWD, POSH, FVRR, MAC, PLTR all fairly neutral.

AMD and PINS were up.

I have 75% in my day trading and 25% in my managed work 401K (which is also fairly aggressively invested) so I am pretty aggressive/risky in the market overall. But I'm also only 40 so I have a lot of time to deal with volatility and I have 5x as much in non-market investments.

How early did you guys get into investing in the stock market? I started at 37 and really wish I had started earlier. My parents started me off with $20k when I was 20 and I took it out and blew it on a car I didn't need, like a moron. Hopefully I can teach my kids to do better.

#10329 3 years ago
Quoted from PinHigh1:

...I work in tech...I like the high flying growth stocks of course and am familiar, but my God those valuations are just flat ridiculous. I did buy a little APPL today though...

I got into investing by having a competition where each of my family members (I have 5 kids) picked a stock and I bought about $1000 worth of each. I think we had Apple, Disney, Google, Hasbro, Nintendo, Amazon, and AMC. Amazon was a little more at the time for just one share but I still bought that for the one kid that chose it. Then whoever had the best return at the end of the month won a portion of what they'd made. I believe all of them, except my wife's Disney went up, but my AMC went up 23% in that month so I won, much to the chagrin of my kids.

That was the first time I bought APPL and it was the last time until a couple days ago when I bought some again. I just have always felt that it was overvalued. They don't even make the best smartphone, that'd be Samsung.

I invest so much in Wal-mart because I feel it is still really undervalued. I know profit margins are a thing but how can Apple be worth more than 5x what Wal-Mart is worth? The reach, dominance, and just pure real estate holdings of Wal-Mart has me wondering how they are not the most valuable company in the world. I believe with a few tweaks that they could dominate Amazon, too. They already have far more shipping centers across the country. They could have 1-day shipping for most people, for most things. There is no reason they couldn't get into streaming and do everything Amazon does online along with their dominance in B&M.

Quoted from DBLM:

Just curious, it appears that most people on here do their own trades and do not work with a broker. Is this due to being newer to investing, concerns about fees, liking to do it yourself, amount of money being invested, or something else? There is no right or wrong answer, like I said, I am just curious.
In my case, I have a guy that is a broker and CFP. He and I work together collaboratively, which has been great. Sure, I pay fees, but he has been able to make me a ton of $$$ throughout the years. In addition, based upon the financial relationship I have with him I have gotten preferential rates on loans, terms, etc. For me, it has been more than worth it, but I know for others the expense might not outweigh the gains.

When I started at my current job 8 years ago, I got the 401k. The broker who manages that for us wanted to meet with me and discuss finances. Instead of listening to my situation and desires, he gave me a cookie-cutter line out of any "Investing for Dummies" book so I decided to just do the minimum 3% there. I am also a big numbers/spreadsheets kind of guy and I eventually started doing my own thing and I just really enjoy it.

#10342 3 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

So what is everyone buying today??

Looking at CCIV and WMT.

#10357 3 years ago

I am taking a bath pretty bad on the CCIV I bought yesterday. I will keep an eye on it and probably double my position when it seems to bottom out; try to make some of my money back.

#10397 3 years ago

Sold MAC at 14.60. Bought PLTR at 25.49. Put a limit order at 28 for a little more CCIV.

#10444 3 years ago

Well I spent all of the cash I had ready for the fall...probably time to just buckle down and HODL for about a year of (hopefully) ups and downs. That will take a lot of willpower as I have been trading so actively for the past year. I have approximately equal holdings in: LTC, GAIN, EPD, MFCSF, AMD, NOC, PYPL, NTDOY, ATVI, ALL, NFLX, PSTH, YUM, IDXX, WBA, DKNG, AMZN, GE, PINS, FSLY, AAPL, BABA, FVRR, CRWD, POSH, PLTR, ZM, CCIV, WOOF. I also have about 7x as much in WMT. Overall I am down about 7% right now and expecting it to drop more in the near future. Thankfully I don't need this money any time soon.

#10447 3 years ago

These are all great choices IMO.

Thanks, it is a pretty even mixture of:
- My own choices
- High dividends
- Motley Fool recs
- Picks I got from this forum

#10500 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

DKNG just hit an all time high.

I sold mine at 67.03 and bought more ATVI and NTDOY. My HODL strategy lasted all of one day.

#10509 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

It’s because you spelled “HOLD” wrong
I am a fan of Activision, not so much of Nintendo. Good luck with those.

I know; I really shouldn't take memes from those dirty crypto traders.

#10510 3 years ago

I am up almost 3% overall today. It is crazy how I keep expecting a big drop and it just doesn't happen. I really think what we saw in February (and has continued to a degree since) is a large influx of new money from new investors that represents a new baseline rather than a bubble. This pandemic has people thinking more about their future and I know so many people that started investing more in the past couple of months. I really think the Gamestop story made a lot of people aware of how easy it is to invest; along with more free time and more money due to stimulus checks and less spending of "going out"/entertainment money.

#10528 3 years ago

High dividend stocks have been doing really well lately: LTC, BXMT, EPD, GAIN. Any other strong dividend stocks I should look at?

#10561 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Wallstreetbets driving up RKT, now at 33

Anyone joining in on that?

#10577 3 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Looks like Texas is going to start reopening everything up.
I don't want to talk about the rightness/wrongness of the choice, politics, blah blah. But how are we all going to make a buck off it

I'm going to San Antonio for a trip with the fam on March 27th so I hope that happens real quickly. Invest in SeaWorld and Six Flags?

*Looks at those stocks* Dang! I wish I'd given myself that advice 4 months ago!

#10606 3 years ago

WMT has taken quite a dip recently. Bad for me as I have a lot of it but might be something to look at.

#10668 3 years ago

Yep, second day in a row of slaughter for me. The worst are POSH, CRWD, WOOF, PINS, PSTH. Of course, that is right now. They day has been very swingy for me overall.

#10687 3 years ago

I sold 15% of my stuff including PYPL, GE, DKNG, AMD, FVRR, ABBV, and some WMT on Monday and all of them have dropped since, some significantly. I will probably watch them fall a bit more and buy them back tomorrow or next week.

#10720 3 years ago

I think im waiting till next week to buy on some lows.
Watching Amazon for by in at 2800.

Same here. I was thinking about buying a bit this afternoon and then more on Monday and Tuesday.

#10745 3 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Thinking of cashing out of EPD today - up a measly 3.5% where my other energy is PSX up 9.75% and XEC up 22.69%. Unfortunately URNM is down from 25% up to 11.66% May put the EPD money in another uranium play.

I sold mine yesterday.

#10808 3 years ago

Any thoughts on the RBLX IPO on Wednesday? As I was watching 4 of my 5 kids play Roblox last night, I decided to see if it was a publicly traded company...and yep, IPO in 3 days. Same thing happened to me with Petco and that hasn't turned out well, yet. Regardless, I plan to buy RBLX; I'm just not sure how much and when is the best time to get in.

#10811 3 years ago

My 14 year old schooled me on Roblox yesterday cause i knew its coming.
Its definitely a mid level game platform, does not have the millions and millions of users such as Blizzard.
My kid suggested Nintendo because of all the new stuff coming this year.
Humm, stock tip from 14 year old.
Buying him $1000 of Nintendo today.
Maybe college fund.

All of my kids decided to buy some RBLX and NTDOY this week.

#10814 3 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

Roblox has like 30-40 million users per day dude. I wouldn't compare it to Blizzard. Blizzard makes AAA games. Roblox is a massive online community with a large group of creators that get paid for making content. Your son is 14 so at the older range of their demo. I'd say somewhere between 6 and 13 is the Roblox main demographic.
Direct offering on the 10th.

My kids that play Roblox regularly are 7, 9, 12, and 13. My 15 year-old is on to other games.

Yes, thanks for the correction. I said "IPO" for the brevity.

#10817 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

With Nintendo, which pays a small dividend, be sure your kids (actually, you as Custodian) understand the tax implications of American Depository Receipts. I found out the hard way on Volkswagen many years ago

I appreciate the heads up. I bought the shares under my account and just keep track of how much they put in and at what price. As they only put in $50-100 each, I don't worry about charging them for taxes nor do they get the dividend (I of course do both ). It is more about having them watch a stock as a fun family thing.

#10825 3 years ago

Busy buying day for me, bought more PSTH, WMT, NTDOY, FSLY. Rebought DKNG, PYPL, AMD, FVRR. New buys of VEEV, XOM, SKLZ, WRE.

EDIT: Watching EPD (buy order at 22.8) and ABBV (buy order at 106.0). Sell order for ALL at 119.5.

#10840 3 years ago

I really feel like AAPL is mostly current investors saying how it is a long-term growth stock and not overvalued to convince others to buy more. And as long as people keep mostly buying, it will keep being gradually good. It just seems like at some point enough people would say "why is this the most valuable company in the world?" and it would tank. But that never happens; AAPL is its own thing. I have some AAPL stock so I don't want that to happen. I guess I am just another sucker, but all of us suckers keep gaining value on AAPL so...

EDIT: "AAPL, not APPL"

#10844 3 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

Busy buying day for me...FVRR...SKLZ...

Ouch.

#10851 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

I know that you are not an AAPL fan but let me give you the bull case. AAPL is not just a technology company, it is a lifestyle company. Regardless of what you think of Apple products vs others, Apple is aspirational in nature. People want Apple products, and select others either if they are techie and opinionated or downmarket. Apple has very subtly but deliberately become a subscription business, with their services and how they sell your products. Investors are willing to buy this recurring subscription tail because it is huge. Additionally, Apple is moving into different product areas. Headphones? Check. Virtual reality? Check. Streaming devices? Check. EV? Sure appears to be that way. If you are thinking of them as just phones and computers you are doing yourself a disservice.

I bought some AAPL recently because sometimes you have to separate your opinion of the company from your stock buying decisions. I've hated almost every Apple product I've ever used from their computers to their tablets to their phones. The last Apple product I remember enjoying was when I played King's Quest 3 on my parents' Macintosh II SE. Just the other night I wanted to break my daughter's iPad because she fell asleep watching Youtube on it and I couldn't figure out how to stop it from playing the video (I did eventually) nor turn it off (never figured that out). When I tried an iPhone because my wife liked hers, I returned it for a Galaxy in 2 weeks. I guess I have bought some songs from iTunes...

You misspelled "stupid and reckless" haha! But time and diversity fixes all things in the stock market.

#10865 3 years ago

I bought PINS at 80. Is that good? Also just realized that it isn't Stern pinball. WTF?

I guess if I want to invest in Stern I'll just keep buying NIB pins with 1/3 of the code done.

Also, today represented the first drop below my starting balance + deposits line for year-to-date.

#10923 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Massive rally on the Nasdaq today! You should have bought yesterday and sold it today!!! LOL

I bought a lot yesterday but should have kept with my mantra of "sell in the morning and buy in the afternoon". That usually doesn't fail me and it wouldn't have in this case. I would be up big on a bunch of stuff, particularly FVRR, if I'd followed that advice. It will be good still, I think, but will take a bit longer to be good.

#10928 3 years ago

I know talked about this some yesterday but I am planning on buying some RBLX when the public offering starts tomorrow. I'm not going crazy, but am planning on putting about $6k into it. Any advice based on past experience from those more knowledgeable than me? Avoid companies this early? Buy ASAP? Buy in a couple days or weeks? Thanks. I'm a big boy and any advice that I take that turns bad is my fault, not yours.

#10931 3 years ago

"I am the most often misquoted person in history; more than Kim Kardashian." --Albert Einstein

#11002 3 years ago

I put a limit order on RBLX at $50 for just 20 shares. A little bite. I am expecting to buy about $5000 more of it but want to see how things go for a few days to a week first.

#11004 3 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

I put one order for 65 shares at 75 hoping to catch it. My plan is to day trade this sucker then get back in later when price drops

I put 3 limit orders of just 20 shares each at $50, $65, and $75.

#11018 3 years ago

I got 40 shares at 64.50. I could sell right now for a $350 profit but I'll probably just hold onto it and buy more if it drops.

#11021 3 years ago

I put in an order for 50 more shares at $60. I am sort of doubtful it will get there today, but we'll see.

#11143 3 years ago
Quoted from 6S3NC3:

I def see your points. All the kids I see playing are under 10. I dont know a single kid over 10 who plays. Im sure they are out there but i know zero. So yes at the top of there demographic you have the kids moving onto bigger better things, naturally. They are also not watching pepe pig anymore....hopefully.

My kids that play are 7, 9, 12, and 13. My 15 year old plays a little but mostly plays other games.

I played a Quake clone on Roblox the other day. It was one of the most enjoyable deathmatch FPS I've ever played and I used to play Quake competitively.

#11148 3 years ago
Quoted from 6S3NC3:

Dude get the hell out of here!!! I played Quake II competitively. My clan one the WOGL for team death match and Rocket Arena. We were Number 1 in the world! My tag was MaD-Sixthsence. We use to hang out on MPlayer.

That's badass! I started with Quake II but mostly played Quake III Arena. I wasn't in a Quake clan. I wasn't at the same level as you; played more regional level lugging my 19" CRT monitor and massive Gateway tower around. I was much better at Half-Life Deathmatch and Team Fortress and was in a clan for those but those weren't as popular as Q3A and Counter-Strike.

#11231 3 years ago
Quoted from athenspin:

This pick isn’t as exciting or new as a lot of picks but it’s stood the test of time. Walmart. They are doing a great job of increasing online exposure, are pretty solid, and pay a dividend. Stock price took a bit of a hit when tech got hammered last week, checked a minute ago and it’s at about $133 a share. I think Walmart is a tank and just works whether it’s pandemic or reopening.

Hey! Another WMT guy in here! It is by far my largest holding and I feel like it is a buy right now. I added more a couple weeks ago when it was around 130. I think that if Walmart wanted to, they could crush Amazon. They already have the distribution centers with all of their stores. Their online store is already pretty good and they could add a streaming service and a "Prime" sort of membership (that could even tie-in with Sam's Club memberships) and just do what Amazon does, but better in some ways. Imagine an Echo type of Walmart device that just automatically orders and has your groceries delivered once a week (or have them ready for you to pick up at the local store). Maybe they'll never do these things but it would make their share price soar if they ever did. That's what I'm hoping for and just taking the slow and steady gains in the mean time.

#11247 3 years ago

I shop at Walmart all the time. It is so convenient to have so much in one store and they have good produce and meat (Sam's is even better for both). Unfortunately there is no Costco where I live. We have Target but it's not a Super Target and the only thing better about Target than Wal-Mart is the hot moms seem to like Target more and I like hot moms (though now they're all wearing fucking masks). I own shares in Wal-Mart, Costco, and Amazon. I also don't always have to like a company to own shares of that company because I understand that people are different than me. As I've said before, I think Apple products are crap but I own shares in Apple. I don't drink coffee and wouldn't see why anyone would pay $8 for coffee but I would buy Starbucks shares if the price seemed right. I admit that Wal-Mart has their problems but they are still a titan of retail and grocery so the foundation is there to be great.

1 week later
#11616 3 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Energy is on a roll today, both oil and uranium

You must have better companies than I do. My EPD and XOM are up, but nothing amazing. SABR is my best holding so far today.

I am in a waiting pattern for right now. I sold a bunch of stuff last week to go to more cash and am waiting for my entire portfolio to hit 20% down overall (10% now) to cost average down a bunch of my holdings and rebuy some of the up stuff I sold that has fallen, and then wait for the rise.

#11649 3 years ago
Quoted from La4s:

Anyone investing for monthly dividends?
I'm looking to start picking up some shares of QYLD

I currently own EPD, GAIN, XOM, WRE as my dividend stocks.

#11707 3 years ago

Four of my 27 holdings are barely green; the rest are red. Watching for more falling and waiting with cash to buy...

#11715 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I seriously don't understand this market. I was down HUGE this morning...and now..green and going up.

Same.

#11747 3 years ago

I bought more PLTR this morning to cost average down to 25.40.

1 week later
#11977 3 years ago

The last two weeks have been the slowest trading time for me in three years. I bought $3000 (my monthly transfer allowance) worth of QYLD today and that's all I've done for two weeks.

#11982 3 years ago
Quoted from cnuts13:

Thanks for sharing that. Great post

HAHA! You dick.

1 week later
#12045 3 years ago

After making no moves for a while, I sold a large position in GAIN this morning and used that to buy AI, more EPD, and to buy back into MAC and FVRR.

Also, why oh why did I buy CCIV? It is killing me right now.

#12074 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Didn’t take long to be (happily) wrong on this one.

Bought it yesterday and sold it today.

#12083 3 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Just a reminder that EPD and other companies with K1 forms are not beneficial to be held in an IRA due to tax complications if you collect over $1000. KMI is an alternative to have in your IRA since it has a 1099. My friend who is a retired natural gas trader for a local gas company likes and owns KMI along with MMP and EPD, which is his number 1 of the three. And yes my friend is from TX. Just FYI for you and others.
https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/102714/can-i-own-master-limited-partnerships-mlp-my-roth-ira.asp

Thank you. I don't have an IRA but I'll look into KMI anyway. This is all just my individual investment account. I also have a managed 401k.

#12183 3 years ago

WOOF, LIT, and SABR are the only holdings I have that are up anything more than a fraction of a percent today. 80% of my stuff is down, however.

#12186 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Are you following me on SABR and LIT

I do believe I bought those based on your recs.

#12231 3 years ago

I am losing my ass on CCIV and not sure what to do. I already averaged down a bit but that just increased my holding size and therefore my losses since. I am down almost 50% ($7000) on it. I haven't experienced this kind of loss before. I am probably going to just hold and wait (I can do so for years, if necessary), but I am a little concerned about it just tanking more and never recovering and think perhaps I should just cut my losses and try to make my money back elsewhere. Or there is the option of averaging down by buying even more, which might be the craziest idea.

#12247 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

not very worried about competition - in the long run
NFLX, Disney/Hulu are going to be the top 3 winners in the streaming wars when all said and done

I have Netflix, Disney, Hulu, HBO Max, Amazon Prime, Youtube Red. The order I personally watch them: Youtube, HBO Max, Prime, Disney, Netflix, Hulu.

Netflix has so much of their original stuff that is just mostly crap and haven't been carrying as much of the movies I actually want to see lately, like they used to.

#12251 3 years ago

forgot to add prine to the list
I have been watching a bunch of hbo max also

Have you watched Batman V Superman, Ultimate Edition and Zack Snyder cut Justice League? It is amazing how much better those movies are than the original theatrical releases.

Also, Godzilla vs. Kong sucks.

All that said, I still own a fair amount of NFLX, which I'm currently down on. I bought it on Motley Fool rec.

#12390 2 years ago

CCIV!
(Still down, but not nearly as much)

What is your position? I have 414 shares at 35.06 average. It is currently my worst holding as I am down from an outright dollar amount more than twice any other position I have. Let's hope for good things. I have decided to hold and not increase my position as of right now.

EDIT: changed "percentage" to "amount"

#12392 2 years ago

I have CCIV in six different accounts, and am averaged in at $25.16 per share. I bought most of the way down.
I know someone who swears by this stock, and is holding 200,000 shares of this averaged in at $23.14. Not $200,000, 200,000 shares. If the stock is about $25 per share August 15th, I keep it all. If not, time to bail. Merger should happen late June. I plan on selling off $10,000 at a time every time it is up $10,000 from initial investment to diversify out a little this time. It was fun watching it triple, but brutal watching it fall. Want to walk away with something on the way up next time.

It was not my finest decision to purchase it where I did. I didn't follow the "rules" that I created and typically follow and I've paid for that. Live and learn. I considered just buying 4,000 shares to really average it in the right direction (and today would have made that a good decision last week), but I didn't.

#12396 2 years ago

I bought TTC and ABNB today. Also bought more FSLY and SABR.

I am feeling really good about ABNB right now. More "vaccine passports" means more off-mainstream vacation options. A coworker was telling me she cannot fly into LAX without proof of vaccination; despite having proof that she had and recovered from Covid-19. This is getting crazy.

#12404 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Crazy? I think it's expected for companies like airlines, cruise lines and large hotels. They will make far more money and have far more customers is they can provide a basic safety threshold of assuring all possible clients that their services are as safe and virus free as they can make them. Plus it shows they are looking our for their frontline staff's safety and well-being, which in turn makes staff want to work in places where large numbers of people are sharing air for long periods of time.

With the currently available evidence, previous infection and recovery provides better immunity than the vaccine. So yes, crazy. Also, vaccines are widely available enough now that anyone who wants one can get started on the course. Those who are confident enough in the vaccine should feel safe enough getting their own and there would be no need for others around them to get one. Also, there is plenty of evidence to support the use of Ivermectin as an extremely safe and effective treatment for Covid-19 at all levels of infection severity, but especially at prophylaxis and mild infection levels. 100% safety can never be assured, but previous infections, vaccination availability, and good treatments are all at levels that the safety of the vast majority of Americans from Covid-19 is very high. High enough that requiring vaccines is ludicrous from a medical evidence standpoint. But that isn't what is driving this. From a profits standpoint, invest in Pfizer. But I digress...

Relevant to the stock discussion, companies will also lose customers based on requiring vaccines. I would argue they will lose as many as they will gain but there really isn't any data available at this time to support or refute that.

#12432 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Had to go look this up. There are no vaccine passports required for LAX. Maybe she meant the quarantining?
https://www.flylax.com/travelsafely
This is directly from the form they would like folks to fill out:
For those who must travel, fully vaccinated persons are at lower risk and may travel taking public health precautions. If asymptomatic, no quarantine or testing is needed upon return.

I am sure she was talking about the quarantine (which is still ridiculous) but I should have considered the source (she likes to exaggerate a bit). I wonder how they monitor that? You get in trouble if you get pulled over or get asked for your papers on the boardwalk, but can flout the rules if you get lucky? I guess I've been spoiled living in one of best states to be in during this. I can't imagine living in that kind of draconian BS environment.

And again, vaccine mandates will affect businesses negatively too, just like mask mandates did. I'll personally never go into Menards (formerly my favorite store) again as they would not allow you to enter without a mask for almost a year while all other stores were more lax. I will use any airline, cruise line, or go to any destination that doesn't require a vaccine 100% of the time over one that does. There are a lot of people who feel the same. I'm far too pro-freedom, and pro-science, to follow these kind of arbitrary, freedom-stealing, irrational fear-powered, rules meant to increase money and power for those who already have too much, under the guise of "safety".

Anyways, sorry for the only semi-relevant discussion. I'll stop talking about Covid-19 vaccines now.

#12513 2 years ago

Crypto currencies have merit, but the field is crowded and dogecoin is a joke
NFT's I can't understand at all - just goes to show that people have a lot of money and don't know what to spend it on (AKA outrageous pinball prices)
in a few years people are going to look back at this with disbelief

I feel like blockchain technology has merit. I'm not so sure about cryptocurrencies. My kids and coworkers (who know I do a lot of investing) have asked me about dogecoin lately and whether I own any. I can only imagine the look I give them is one of utter disgust and disbelief as I say "it's a meme coin". I think what has happened with dogecoin, which was intentionally made as a joke, proves how much of a nothing all of the other cryptos are and that they are just being fueled by speculation and FOMO. But they will keep going up as long as people can be convinced to buy them, usually in hopes that they will be the next bitcoin and they'll get really rich like others have. I have a friend (another doc) who bought 100 Bitcoin for $10 each. He later sold 60 of them when they were at $100 each. He still has the other 40... That kind of exciting story is what gets people to keep buying in and expanding the bubble.

#12592 2 years ago

Almost all red here too. Maybe the worst morning I've had since last March. If it rebounds, great. If not, I'm holding a bunch of cash and ready to dive in heavily if there is a big enough drop.

#12600 2 years ago

Alright, time to buy a few things. What do you guys have that is down and expect a rebound?

#12607 2 years ago
Quoted from 6S3NC3:

PINS taking its meds due to earnings report which was as suspected but is it a buy as of yet? My gut tells me nothing bc im no good at this. @ $61.06 from $84. Anyone know when is a good time jump back?

I'll definitely be buying more at some point.

#12611 2 years ago
Quoted from stubborngamer:

Never understood the Pins hype here, seems like a declining platform that is awkward to use. The fact they don't make as much from ads as others isn't surprising given how people tend to surf the platform.
I'm just holding, have my money in a handful of stocks, half up, half down. Market seems due for more than just the occasional, perfectly healthy, red day. But we'll see.

What's hard to understand? It's PINS, just like we all collect.

#12655 2 years ago

Wow, FSLY, that hurt. Luckily, my two biggest holdings, by far, are WMT and QYLD, and they're doing ok today.

#12657 2 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Pins below 60$ now, feel bad for the people who bought in the 80s

Thanks for the sympathy. I'm in at 80.90. Time to HODL. I'll be good in 15 years.

#12826 2 years ago

All murder for me this morning, but yesterday morning was the same and turned green in the end. XOM, EPD, and PSTH are the only stuff up for me so far today.

#12880 2 years ago

Im picking up high yeild div stocks.
Bxmt taking a beating past few days.
DX, putting my toe in the water there.
No div, but watching Amazon, i have orders in at the 3000/3050/3100 levels.
Watching my golden goose closely, LMT and RTX, might bail.
BA, approaching my entry point.
Im cheap, i watch 400 some stocks, looking for best times to invest.
I hated covid, but man, I would do the last year over of i could.
Are time machines on sale anywhere?

Thanks for the tip on BXMT! I bought it a couple days back two minutes before close and it's been all up since.

#12892 2 years ago

I have about a third of my portfolio in QYLD, BXMT, EPD, XOM, WRE. These are all good dividend paying stocks and my experience with them has been pretty positive. My question to myself and to all of you is this: why not put ALL of my money in the highest dividend stocks? I'm just looking for some insight from those of you who have been doing this longer than my 3 (overall very bullish) years.

#12897 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

You need to answer for yourself what your investment goals are. I am not being flippant; before you invest another dollar more you need to figure out what are your goals, your risks tolerances, etc. That will dictate what types of stocks you buy and the percentages. A lot of folks like dividends because it is somewhat stable and easy. Other people are looking for bigger gains. Only you can answer what meets your needs but you have to have a plan.

At this point I am 41 and a good 20 years from retirement. I have other investments that make my retirement all but guaranteed. So I am trying to make as much money as I can over the next 20 years. At that point I could see having almost all dividend stocks to just treat the dividends as income that I live on, while the bulk of my holdings sit there for my kids to inherit some day. I also plan to act as a bank by making low-interest loans to my kids so they can invest in their own business/etc, while giving me a stable source of income (just as my parents did for me). I think I had already answered my own question, I can likely make more by being more active in my trading. My more stable real estate, business, 401k investments, along with my decades in the future retirement date and future large inheritance from my parents, allow me to accept more risk.

#12902 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

I don't know you at all, but speaking candidly, your strategy appears to be a little all over the map based upon your posting history. I think it would behove you to work with some wealth management professionals to put together a cohesive plan, especially based upon your future inheritances, desire to be a bank, etc. They are going to be able to help you setup the right portfolio mix, help with tax strategy, being able to pass money down to your kids tax free with structured giving, etc. They will be able to recommend if you should go with dividend stocks vs annuities, etc. Based upon your portfolio and your relationship with your banking entity(s), there are a variety of investment opportunities that are not available to regular folks that might be of interest to you down the road. Does it cost some money? Sure. But when you get with the right folks it is well worth the expenditures.

Thanks for that advice. My business banker (perhaps he doesn't count for the type of person you're recommending) recently called me to "discuss some wealth management strategies" so I'll at least see what he has to say. My strategy is actually fairly simple for my "play" account. That is in parenthesis because while I have a separate 401k and this is not my retirement account per se, it is still enough money that losing it all would be a significant blow to me. I buy medium to large companies in well-established sectors. No penny stocks or marijuana stocks or crypto for me. So I lean towards riskier but avoid the highest risk/reward investments. I buy about 1-3% of my total at a time and hold, cost averaging down at times. Once the stock rises to be a 10% profit (before taxes), I sell it and buy new stuff. That has taken as little as 3 hours and as long as two years. The other rule I have that I have broken more and more frequently is that I only buy if it is below the 50th percentile of its 12 month price chart.

#12969 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

TRAMD 's WMT had a good tape this AM. Congrats!

Yes it did! I am up mostly across the board today. I'm still wondering when this madness will end.

As far as Covid-19 immunity, antibodies remain in the system for 8+ months after recovery from infection in almost all people studied. There seems to be a common "3 month" belief and I'm not sure where that comes from. Obviously it will take more time to have more concrete/final numbers on that. But B-cell and T-cell immunity will likely last for years or decades, just like with other viral infections and vaccines. This is probably true for both prior infection and the vaccine. The specificity of the vaccine means that it probably provides better immunity for the primary SARS-CoV-2 virus and slight variants but natural immunity created from previous infection will likely protect better against more significant variants. Obviously, nothing is 100% and you can still get Covid-19 after infection, vaccination, or both, but the risk of severe symptoms is markedly reduced with either, and likely for DECADES, barring a significant variant. I don't believe that there are currently any known variants that either previous infection or vaccination don't provide significant immunity to. That is good news because with hundreds of millions of cases already incurred, it is unlikely that will ever happen and we have a real chance of basically eradicating this with enough infections/vaccinations. The number of people who have actually had and recovered from Covid-19 is probably 2-5x the number of positive cases, meaning that 66-165 million people in the US have probably had and recovered from Covid-19 at this point. A significant number of those are likely kids as they tend to be almost asymptomatic and are far less likely to get tested. A real question is what, if any, long term effects will there be for previously infected people that vaccinated folks will avoid (like shingles with chicken pox).

#12974 2 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I haven't heard this theory re: the long-term performance of exposure-immunity vs. vaccine-immunity before Got a source I should check out? (I'm admittedly off-topic here. But in my defense I'm not looking to stir up shit or start a Covid debate, just legitimately curious about this theory as it's new to me).

Sure, it is actually pretty simple to explain but I can try to find other resources if what I say here doesn't tell you what you want to know. The mRNA vaccines specifically create very strong immunity vs. the spike protein part of the virus. They actually tell your cells how to make the spike protein and use your own cells as a spike protein factory. Despite being made by our own cells, the immune system still recognizes it as a foreign antagonist and creates a response to destroy the spike proteins. As long as any variant has the same, or very similar, spike proteins on its surface, the immunity should be excellent. The response and immunity created by our natural immune system is more complex and can attack a wider range of aspects of a virus it is exposed to in its entirety. So a variant that doesn't have the spike proteins created by the mRNA vaccine would get around someone who is vaccinated but someone who was previously infected might have defense against another part of the virus that remains unchanged in the variant.

If I am bothering anyone with this, please let me know. It is mildly relevant and just darn interesting to boot, however.

#13013 2 years ago

Four of my five kids have money in stocks, mostly DIS, NTDOY, WMT. My 15 year-old son is making the brilliant decision of investing in add-ons for online video games instead of stocks. I'm sure that will pay off.

#13021 2 years ago

I'm in a worse position than you on CCIV but it's a wait and hold for me.

likeyoucrazy (resized).pnglikeyoucrazy (resized).png
#13047 2 years ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

Any suggestions for good dividend yield stocks other than EPD and QYLD?

BXMT

1 week later
#13209 2 years ago

I bought AMC at 14 and sold at 18 during the last squeeze. What happened today is nuts!

1 week later
#13357 2 years ago
Quoted from investingdad:

Here’s the half year update from the resident non-trader, index funds only, buy never sell, stop trading and churning guy. I’m providing this simply as a benchmark of how my strategy is doing so far this year.
Total return +7.4%
I had to back out the new money we added and saved but this is pretty close. Our portfolio is about 30% bonds and 70% equity funds.
If we could maintain this for another 3.5 years, we’d be at 42x yearly expenses saved at the time we’re age 51. At that point, staying in our careers becomes pretty optional and at our discretion. Naturally, this assumes no black swan events. Personally, I would be satisfied with 7% a year for the next three years as opposed to every 6 months, which I do not think is realistic at all.
I’m sharing the prior paragraph of info as a personal validation of why I believe in this strategy.

I appreciate your post. It got me to look at my own returns for the YTD. They are 7%, worse than the 12% of the S&P or total stock market. It was about 5-6 months ago that I started following this thread and using Motley Fool. For the three years prior to that when I exclusively used my own system for finding, buying, and selling, my returns averaged 2-3x the S&P and TSM average returns. So I looked at my current holdings. Everything I have that is in the green is something I found myself. Everything in the red, with the exception of two holdings, is something I heard about here or from Motley Fool. The one exception is high dividend stocks like BXMT, EPD, and QYLD, all of which I heard about here and all of which have done well for me.

#13360 2 years ago
Quoted from investingdad:

I do expect my total return to be less than the S&P because I’m 30% bonds.

Yep, I understand that. It is not a good thing that my return is slightly worse than yours when I am 0% bonds. I'm doing something wrong.

#13362 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Not being flippant, but it sounds like you should revert back to what has worked for you. If I am being candid, I mostly give what I am investing in for others to do what they wish with this but I do not follow a lot of the ideas that are posted. They are great for context and to see what others are thinking, but I tend to follow my own path. As for returns, I won't get specific but I am having a very good percentage return this year through the midpoint. It has been lumpy, not linear; but that is based upon the sector rotations that I was in. I did not have good timing at some points, but I like where things are and where they are heading. Good luck to all!

You're fine. I am not trying to insult the investment abilities of you guys nor blame anyone because I am a big boy and ultimately responsible for what my money goes towards; but I was probably buying some things that were poorly timed and not properly investigated by me. I need to be better at evaluating what advice is properly timed and in line with my investment goals. It is all a learning process. I am going to continue to follow along here and to use the Motley Fool but I am going to readopt more of my previous strategies and try to better utilize the right kind of advice that I receive here and elsewhere. The nice thing is that I am only 41, have a stable and high-earning job, and have most of my investment value in real estate, businesses, and a managed 401k outside the stock market. So I can deal with some losses in my personal investment account. I really appreciate this thread and the information that I have received from many of you, especially you, @DBLM.

ADDENDUM: Plus, if I can complain about a 7% return for half a year, I don't really have anything to complain about.

#13366 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I will add just a bit here, that some of what you referred to as buying based on market analyst projections are meant for long term growth. I am with you on those that I timed them bad and am down on all but 1 at the moment. I'm planning on holding them 5+ years though...unless some go under lol.

I don't have any realized loss. I'll just keep holding until I make money; even if it takes years.

And I did recognize another stock I bought on my own research that has not done well: ENR. I bought it because my kids go through batteries like popcorn.

#13410 2 years ago

Most of the stocks I'm not doing well on were ones recommended by Motley Fool. They jumped up 5-6% the first day they were recommended but then dropped. I did well if I bought right away and then just took my profits in the first day or two. I feel like the MF team buys a stock, then recommends it the next day and then just takes it profits for that up day. When this doesn't work out, they keep recommending the same stocks. Thus why they have been recommending ZM, CRWD, and LMND for a few months. Maybe I'm wrong but they seem to have enough influence that this would be a brilliant way to make a lot of money.

#13436 2 years ago

It's incredible that Coke has been able to take water, CO2, and sugar and get so many people to replace water with their diabetes water. Good for Ronaldo.

#13440 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Same could be said for nearly every other company that sells user goods. Absolutely none of it is essential...except apparently toilet paper. That shit paper is life or death.
If we want to split coins, it's amazing that FB, a company and business model no one admits to liking, has been able to take human vanity and make it a multibillion dollar company by selling your privacy to the highest bidder.

I quit Facebook in January and rarely miss it. What a waste of time for the past 10 years. I don't have, and don't plan to get, any other social media. I quit cable TV 17 years ago. I also don't have any games on my phone and don't drink alcohol. There are so many things that are just purely a waste of time and money with no positive value to your life. I've been trying to cut those things out of my life for a long time. Who knows, maybe Pinside will be next. I really only follow this thread now and use it for buying and selling. I think it is one of the remaining bright spots on the internet.

#13447 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

I'm with you on facebook. Have not had that in 10 years. But alcohol? You got to have good booze my man. I can send you a care package that will get you on the right azimuth and help get you all leveled out.
I highly recommend boats, but that might be tough where you live. BMore-Pinball and I had a confab here recently in international waters where we plotted and schemed. Something about the gentle rocking of a boat and the smell of salt in the air that will make you right as rain.

I'm just not a fan of drinking calories other than the occasional milk. We almost moved to Florida at one point and I definitely would have gotten a nice boat and a house with a dock if we had. Boating is a big deal here in the summer, on lakes. It is popular enough that I have like 8 friends with nice boats and they are happy to take us out whenever we ask. So I get to enjoy the boat life without the hassle and cost. We have a pool at our house (which also doesn't make much sense here) and I have a nice 5th wheel toy-hauler camper with a side-by-side ATV. Add hiking, bicycling, disc golf, and basketball (and work) and I have a very full life during the summer. In the winter I like to play video games, pinball, Dungeons and Dragons, and Magic the Gathering. I don't consider those things a waste of time if I'm playing with someone else. Even if one of my friends isn't available, I have my five kids to hang out with; my wife isn't really into any of my indoor hobbies.

#13508 2 years ago

Sold CRWD and bought GIS and CLX this morning. That is all.

#13595 2 years ago

I've been selling some and am sitting at 30% cash. I keep expecting a major pullback that just never seems to happen.

#13596 2 years ago

I just can't help myself. Sold FSLY and AAPL and bought CWH, BLL, PCG, REGN this morning.

#13598 2 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

So Roblox dropped down pretty much right after this comment. Looks like it is starting to pick up a little steam now. But your nutz have shriveled up a bit.
I was talking to my 13 year old son about Roblox a couple of weeks ago. He makes some games but they are works-in-progress so he is not currently monetizing any it. I asked him to point me towards some of the more popular downloads. He showed me a few and I was amazed how much copyright infringement was going on in every game. Music, character IPs, you name it. It's like the Napster of video games.
I mentioned to him that this won't fly too much longer. You can't make money off of creators who are creating games by infringing copyright. Sure enough fool did an article about Roblox 2 days ago. https://www.fool.com/investing/2021/06/22/is-now-the-time-to-go-all-in-on-roblox-stock/

This is just from blatant large scale copyright infringement...which Roblox didn't even initially notice. There is so much IP stealing going on in Roblox that they will really need to crack down on it now that they are in the spotlight. That is a lot of moderation.

It is rampant. I've seen my kids playing games that are basically exact copies of Valorant, Rust, Red Dead Redemption 2, Quake Champions, Half-Life 2, etc, but with the only difference being Roblox figures in place of the normal character models. It is unending. There are some original games that are popular but there is a lot of shady stuff going on with it.

#13608 2 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Not sure I would have done that. I would have used your cash to buy buy tech type plays and just held FSLY and AAPL. I have a fair amount of value, had some cash and bought QQQ PINS UPST KWEB JMIA FB AMAT XLB XLY a couple of days ago.

I just went back to my old style of investing that was giving me 2-3x the returns of the S&P index when I was using my own ideas before finding out about Motley Fool and this forum (when I've been underperforming the S&P by 40%). I wanted to try it my old way again to see how it goes. The amount I traded today was literally 10% of my porfolio so can't hurt or help too much.

I also bought more D, EIX, GIS and LVS this morning.

#13610 2 years ago
Quoted from stubborngamer:

At this point this message board has been more wrong than right about meme stocks so... we should probably all put our life savings into AMC at freaking $56 right this second.

Although I've bought and sold AMC for profit 3 or 4 times, the last time I purchased it at $14 and watched it sit around $6 forever until I was bailed out by Reddit and sold it at $16. It would have to be at least under $10 for me to consider it again.

#13636 2 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy:

Tesla. Looking like it will test new highs. Easy 33 percent gain coming.

I'm not buying the stock but I am seriously considering a Model S Plaid. I've loved my 2017 Model S but might be time to upgrade before the bumper to bumper warranty expires.

#13700 2 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Pardon. A bit off-topic. Was calculating potential investments in oil ETF's as well as GRN and other sustainability-focused funds and developed spontaneous typing tourette's.
Anyway, please call your power company and switch to a green plan if you could/would. At least a nice green sheen on the capitalistic thrust of this thread whether you make money or not. :p

Can't tell if you're trolling...*sees profile pic with a mask*... oh, you're not. People will make fun of me for driving a Tesla by saying "you think you're being green but they burn fossil fuels to make that electricity." I remind them that I bought the car because it's a luxury sedan that accelerates and handles like a race car and that most electricity in my state comes from hydroelectric and wind. Also, I ask them if they'd like to stand in a garage for an hour with my car running or theirs running and then ask why they wouldn't want to do the same for the rest of the air. Nuclear energy is the future, IMO.

As for your negative insinuation about capitalism, everyone likes to enjoy the great benefits that capitalism and some get upset that others "do capitalism" to greater effect than they do. That makes me roll my eyes because envy makes me roll my eyes. Let's get rich!

#13702 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Not to drag us too far off topic, but how do the batteries hold up in the winter there?

Fine. Cold weather definitely reduces the range but where I am it isn't as sustained cold as a place like Eastern SD or MN. Also, I have a heated garage and the car has a battery heater that runs automatically if the battery gets too cold. That of course drains some energy, but a small amount compared to driving.

#13722 2 years ago

Son of a gun. I *almost* sold CWH first thing this morning and then it just dropped. I should've gone with my instincts.

#13735 2 years ago

AAPL is a self-fulfilling prophecy. People are told "it always goes up", and so they buy it, and it does.

1 week later
#13853 2 years ago

Newb question: I was notified of a tender offer on CCIV due to the upcoming merger. The offer is for $10/share when the share price is over $26 currently. That clearly seems like a bad deal that I should not take. What can I expect as this unfolds? Is there any reason that I should consider an offer that seems so bad at face value? Is there something I'm missing?

#13855 2 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Basically, if you don’t like the deal, the spac will buy back your shares (tender offer) at NAV.
CCIV is so far above nav it makes little sense but if you want out, there’s your out.
Take something like psth, ftoc, etc that are/were close to nav and it can make a bit more sense

If I don't take the offer, is the value likely to tank down to about that $10 mark? If I just "want out", why not just sell right now at market value?

#13860 2 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Selling now is selling to other investors. Tender offer is selling back to spac.

I understand that. I was just wondering if any of you have information about what usually happens to a stock's price after something like this.

For cciv as of today, I have no idea why anyone would take the tender.

That's what I was thinking and wanted to know if there was something I was missing.

It’s kinda like me having a standing offer of $1000 for your mmr royale. Sure you could take the offer, but…

Tempting...

#13867 2 years ago
Quoted from DadofTwins:

QYLD...anybody still in this fund? How has it been treating you? Seriously thinking about parking a chunk of money in it for monthly income.

I've owned QYLD for a long time and the dividends are great. I bought more today.

#13921 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Housing market is still crazy. Was visiting with my cousin who is a realtor this weekend and while I was there he got a call just sold a house at 200% over asking. INSANE.

As in the house sold for 3x the asking price? Like a $500k house selling for $1.5 million?

#13966 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I place market orders all the time.

As do I.

#14003 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

This is buy time....if you got cash on the side, this is a good entry. GL!

I've been 25% cash for a while waiting for a day like this. I'm doing some buying today.

What holdings do people have that are down that I could look into?

#14031 2 years ago

I bought OIH, EPD, BA, T, CWH, PCG, ENR, ABNB. All were small to medium bites for me and I am still 18% cash and holding for another rainy day. Thanks everyone for the hints.

#14068 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

The problem with "I'm sitting on xy% cash' is you have to use it. Anyone who was in cash at -900 point down dow day should have deployed a lot yesterday or else they are waiting and missing on all the upside on the hope they can time the true top and true bottom.

I wish I had gone in heavier but alas, I didn't.

You are correct that I am waiting for an April 2020 scenario to jump in real hard. But that is probably just causing me to lose out on some great earnings.

1 week later
#14160 2 years ago

I'm buying today: SAM, LVS, PCG, BLL, ABNB, UBER

UBER and SAM are new. The others are ones I'm buying more of.

I also bought K and ULTA, both new for me.

#14164 2 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

What’s your thesis for buying PCG?

I had some and am cost averaging down.

3 weeks later
#14587 2 years ago

Anybody else extra clean from the bath they're taking on POSH?

#14590 2 years ago

I got out of my position on Monday with a nice loss
I like the company, but was not willing to take the ride any longer.
Now that I am out, it should shoot up at least 50%

I appreciate that.

Thanks for the tip, bought 30 shares.

#14600 2 years ago
Quoted from edward472:

Lowes up 10%+ after solid earnings report today

Yep! Thanks again! I made my 10% and got out.

#14652 2 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Added a position in ZVIA. Went IPO about a month ago. I think they're on-trend and I like the product. They also recently added an ex-Red Bull exec to the team. I also sell many flavors in the museum.
Drink stocks tend to go ballistic once they develop traction. HANS (Hansen's Soda) was explosively profitable even before they changed their name and product line in 2012. Pretty sure you can guess who they are today. A real "monster" of a company...
[quoted image]

Thanks for the tip! I literally just made 10% in 2 hours.

2 months later
#15171 2 years ago

I haven't been here for 2 months but came back to say CCIV! (Lucid)

#15176 2 years ago

Now if only I could see POSH and PINS recover like LCID.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tramd.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders?tu=tramd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.