3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3,218 posts - Hot topic!
  • 264 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 26 minutes ago by cottonm4
  • Topic is favorited by 117 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 190 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

download-1 (resized).png
    download (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 9.53.26 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 9.53.00 PM (resized).png
    tempsnip.png
    639_hmim_intaglio_lg.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 6.18.45 PM (resized).png
    hobbies-leisure-fish_story-fish-exaggerating-fishing-small_fish-pknn590_low (resized).jpg
    s&p2006-2014 (resized).JPG
    hqdefault (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    03.27.20.Disney Update(1).pdf (PDF preview)
    Screenshot_20200327-140631_thinkorswim (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20200327-135632_thinkorswim (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20200327-135644_thinkorswim (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 3.56.25 PM (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sataneatscheese.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1081 1 year ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

taking a beating recently but not deviating from the robot investing buy regularly and hold forever strategy.

Yep,

Dollar cost averaging works wonders over time. I won't be touching my Roths or 401k for atleast 35 years, so up, down, sideways... it's all gravy at this point in time. I'm pretty sure my growth stock mutual funds will be worth more than I paid for them when it's time to sell. Pretty darn sure the stock market will be up over where it is now in 2050 when I need it.

The kids' 529s won't be touched for another 10 years, and I'm pretty sure the market will be back up by then too... I'd bet my children's future on it.

#1112 1 year ago

And... the Stock Market has its biggest 1 day point rise ever.

1 week later
    #1123 1 year ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

LOL, i still use the code. F that, no one is getting my finger print or my face....

Not paranoid... but legally, you don't have to tell a law enforcement officer you phone password. However, refusing to provide biometric data like a thumb print or face scan is obstruction of justice... so passwords are the way to go.

With that said... my phone stays unlocked

DOW 28,000 by December.

7 months later
    #1212 8 months ago

So I'm a buy and hold kind of guy with 30+ years until I retire with all my holdings outside my residence in mutual funds. I am curious how the active traders are playing on the 850+ point drop in the market today (8/5/2019).

3 months later
    #1283 5 months ago

I'm 50% VIGAX and 50% VIGRX. Slow and steady wins the race. I'll spread that out a little more as I get more to invest.

1 month later
    #1296 3 months ago
    Quoted from Kneissl:

We’re in the roaring twenties now. Hold on to your butts!

I plan on raiding my 401k for funds... in 34 years. If the market goes down this decade... more stock money for me in the future! If the market goes up this decade... more stock money for me in the future. Long story short, I'm good.

Start paying for oldests' college in 10 years though.

Dow 60,000 by 2030!

#1323 3 months ago

I like mutual funds for easy management and instant diversification.

Here is my 2019 performance:
    Retirement and Kids College is all invested in Vanguard Growth Index Fund Investor Shares (VIGRX) and Vanguard Small-Cap Growth Index Investor Shares (VSGAX) returning 32.96% and 30.81% year over year each. Can't win every year, but very happy. S&P500 was up 29.6% in 2019. Both had expense ratios less than .17% so outperformed the S&P500 even with expenses.

#1325 3 months ago
    Quoted from investingdad:

Just a note, Vanguard does not benchmark those funds against the S&P500.

100% agreed. My point is that both funds beat the S&P 500 even with expense ratios included.

#1327 3 months ago

I know just enough about the stock market to know that I don't know what I'm doing, and mutual funds are a better option for me. Can you let me know where my logic is wrong above?

#1331 3 months ago
    Quoted from investingdad:

Sure. Let's say I'm invested 100% in bonds and I return 5% in 2019.
    One could say I returned less than the S&P which returned over 25% in 2019.
    But that would be a meaningless comparison, like saying the basketball team consistently outscored the hockey team.
    The Vanguard funds you mention are not measured against the S&P because the holdings they are made of do not reflect the S&P.
    Instead, you want to compare the performance against the fund's benchmark, net of mgmt fee, to guage how the fund is doing within its category.
    Most passive funds are just under the benchmark each year. As one would expect, they just mimic.
    Active funds are paying managers their salaries (fees) to do better. I avoid them.

This makes perfect sense. Thank you.

1 month later
    #1418 42 days ago

I'm dollar cost averaging 20% of my income every other week into mutual funds. Once I have another 100k in my accounts I'll re-balance and repeat the process. This bad news, is good for my investments before I retire in 32 years... good news helps too. I figure about a 0% chance the market will be lower in 2051 when I retire.

#1419 42 days ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Anyone could have seen this coming 2 weeks ago. Many are trying to spread misinformation comparing this new disease to the flu. The flu does not shut down the Worlds second largest economy, creating shortages of necessary drugs, raw materials for every type of manufacture, parts for autos, appliances, phones and every electronic device.
    Covid19 is more akin to pneumonic plague than flu with airborne transmission, a long surface contamination life and asymptomatic transmission.
    This is not a buy the dip opportunity, unless you enjoy throwing money away.

As someone with three asthmatic kids, and a solid history of being completely healthy except for having a strong susceptibility to pneumonia (caught it again in December)… please don't make the pneumonic plague analogy.

#1468 39 days ago

I'm totally cool with it. I just wish my Father in Law wasn't literally retiring tomorrow (2/27) and living off of his savings. For me this is just a buying opportunity.

#1511 35 days ago

Well, normally I max out the IRA contributions for the year in December. However, after last week's wild ride I've decided to go ahead and max out the Roth this morning. I just threw it into another USAA mutual fund.

I can't buy/sell socks without treating it like gambling, so this mild effort to time the market is about as far as I can go. Time to root for stocks to go back up again!

Go Bull go!

#1521 35 days ago

And, the Dow Jones has the biggest 1 day gain ever.

market (resized).png
    1 week later
    #1836 26 days ago

So... 3/12 will be worst dow day of year...

#1880 25 days ago
    Quoted from sataneatscheese:

-2352... Sometimes I hate being right. Worst Dow day ever by points. 4th worst by percentage loss (-9.99%)

#1923 24 days ago

Presidential press conference announced for 3 EST on the Corona Virus. Will the market spike or crater afterwards?

#1940 24 days ago

Presidential press conference announced for 3 EST on the Corona Virus. Will the market spike or crater afterwards?

Well… DOW has spiked 1,000 points since the press conference started. Up 7% overall for the day. Still doesn't make up for yesterday but the needle is moving in the right direction.

#1943 24 days ago

Well… DOW has spiked 1,000 points since the press conference started. Up 7% overall for the day. Still doesn't make up for yesterday but the needle is moving in the right direction.

And the DOW closes almost 2,000 points up. US markets up almost 10% today. Doesn't make up for yesterday, but comes close.

#2125 20 days ago

That quote didn't age well...

#2220 19 days ago

Whelp,

I just bailed on the market. Switched the kids 529's to "preservation of capital". Switched my 401k to "preservation of capital/short term bonds". Put in sell orders on all my IRA mutual funds. I will jump back in when the market hits 24,000 and I've missed the first part of the run or when I think it's bottomed. I think things are going to get worse before they get better. They say we are 8-10 days behind Italy on this. When Italy's market shoots up for a solid week, I'll jump back in, but it has been dropping even faster than the DOW. I don't know where we are going to bottom out, but if my theory on Italy is correct the DOW will close below 17,000 by next Friday. I'm guessing we won't see the lows until... sigh... July.

When I go back in I'll go back in with aggressive mutual funds, but will put my ROTH IRA in stocks. We'll see what looks cheap in 2 weeks time. I can only adjust funds in the kids 529s 2x per year, and I just did it, so I have to be extra careful on that one.

#2232 19 days ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Down to 10k by end of the week?

Down to 17k by the end of next week.

#2235 19 days ago

So where and when do you think the bottom will hit... Dow 7K in July?

#2296 18 days ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Old malaria drug hydroxychloroquine may help cure coronavirus: study
    https://nypost.com/2020/03/19/old-malaria-drug-hydroxychloroquine-may-help-cure-coronavirus-study/

if this comes to fruition in the next few days, the market could shoot up very quickly

"Quinine". This stuff is used in the saltwater aquarium hobby to get rid of flatworms. It used to go for 20$ a bottle. A few weeks ago they were going for $500 a bottle on Ebay. Now you can't find it.

We used to have day laborers come in and buy fish anti-biotics when I worked at an aquarium store. People treat the pet store like an emergency pharmacy.

#2308 18 days ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Looks like the early morning relief rally has faded. But the day is still young.
    Some of you talk about Boeing. I think Boeing, a major DOW stock, will see $200.00 per share as this virus crisis (or whatever you want to call it) continues.

So much has changed in 9 days. Boeing is under $100 a share now. I'd probably buy a 1,000 shares if it hits $20 this month.

#2314 18 days ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Just talked to my guy and I am looking to do some nibbling when the S&P is in the 2350 range. Anybody else got a target?

Boeing: $20 per share.

I'm not touching anything until sometime after the Dow is under 16,999 or above 24,000 and I've missed the rally.

#2400 16 days ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Didn't Martha Stewart go to prison for the same shit?

No, she went to prison for lying to the FBI about doing the same stuff.

#2416 16 days ago

Will the dow be up or down atbthe end of the week? I am predicting sub 17k.

#2562 13 days ago

Looking into Cracker Barrel, Ruths Chris, and Red Robbin.

#2676 11 days ago

Bougt Cracker Barrel and Six Flags yesterday morning in the IRA. Threw the kids college fund bank in mutual funds. Cant move it again until 2021. Will look at throwing 401k back in April 1st when I can move again.

#2720 11 days ago

Sold my six Flags after 24 hours for a 20% gain. Bailed to buy red robbin. My cracker barrel is down 10%. All else in sensible mutual funds. Fun 24 hours!

#2813 10 days ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

not much funds here...
    How do I turn a 401k into cash?
    I would be happy to just park it on the sidelines and wait.

Look for something labled preservation of cash or short term bond.

#2867 9 days ago
    Quoted from AliciaC:

Took advantage of KPG's reference to STKS - thanks for the tip!
    Thoughts on Cheesecake Factory (CAKE)? Fell from $51 to almost a 52 week low of $16. Can't make their April rent, but the odds of failure long term seems low.

I like cracker barrel and.red robbin more but am currently losing my butt on them.

#2904 8 days ago

If Im not mistakren Amazon makes more off of cloud computing than web sales. It should be under a huge demand right now and its competitors cant expand right now

#2944 7 days ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

I suck at this. How is EVERYTHING up right now? Thought we would see another plunge today.

If it makes you feel any better my Red Robbin stocks are down another 12% today.

#2974 7 days ago
    Quoted from kpg:

STKS was such a win... Got in average around $.80 or so, sold half @ $1.49, and the rest at $1.99 yesterday!!! Glad you followed.
    ARCO I should have sold some on that big pop the other day, but really, it's an amazing long term hold.
    They are the largest McDonalds franchisee in the world... And their McDonalds are in Latin America and the Caribbean. Really, the only places the Coronavirus hasn't shut anything down yet their stock took a beating. $750m or so marketcap now... But $4B+ in revenue a year. When all this passes, this thing should rip.
    At some point I may start a new service, but it would have to be a completely different format because it was so stressful to run it on a daily basis and it affected my own personal trading to be honest, so it's unlikely.

Well... STKS is down 40% today... Down under $1 a share again. Didn't bite last time. Don't think I'm touching it this time.

#2983 7 days ago
    Quoted from kpg:

STKS down to $1
    Nibbled on some at a buck for long term Will add on any more drops. Glad I sold when I did... traders game!

And if you sell it now you can make 20% as it's back up to 1.20 in the past... hour.

#3011 6 days ago

I can't move my 401k money back into the market until April (tomorrow), and would okay with a "temporary" dip in the market.

With that said, Go RRGB, Go CBRL!

I just don't know what the market overall is going to do. If there was no government intervention on it I'm guessing it would be under 15k by now, but I just don't know what those fed dollars will do.

#3015 6 days ago

Just put in an order for 1,000 shares of BURG... the parent company of Hooters at $.31 a share (a whoping $300). It is currently at .38$. I am still of the opinion that restaurant stocks are beyond bargain basement prices right now and will rebound in the coming year. If what they say is true and 1/3 of Restaurants go out of business, where are their customers going to go? Yes there may be less customers, but I have a feeling there will be an even smaller supply of restaurants to serve that need.

#3017 6 days ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I think hooters was on the decline before the virus
    During times like these, you only want to buy the strongest companies, even if they are at a more expensive valuation

100% agreed. My main Restaurant plays are in Cracker Barrel and Red Robin. Cracker Barrel in particular is not going anywhere anytime soon and the same is true to a lesser extent for Red Robin.

Hooters stock is a purely speculative play, and at worse I will be out the price of a new Color DMD on that one. Hooters stock price has been undergoing some pretty wild price swings in the past 2 weeks, more so than most other stocks. If I can get in at $.31 and get out at $.42, I will be happy and well entertained.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 55.00
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Photos
    $ 9.99
    Various Other Swag
    Circus Maximus
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 18.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 40.00
    Lighting - Other
    Funhouse Custom Lamp Out of stock
    Professor Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 19.95
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 17.00
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 101.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 7,199.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 26.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sataneatscheese.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside