4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6,931 posts - Hot topic!
  • 349 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by DBLM
  • Topic is favorited by 169 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 361 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

bb (resized).png
    76EC43C8-B4D6-4D08-B39A-691A1EC4E53C (resized).png
    1343C1D0-5299-432B-AF52-0A610A0351DD (resized).png
    mact (resized).JPG
    41028A6F-CE17-4FD1-9563-96AB288442C2 (resized).jpeg
    1hw6ljgfz5b61 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20210111-221231_Chrome (resized).jpg
    8376E8C6-FBEB-48B8-AEC7-A1C91231DDEE (resized).png
    Screenshot_20210110-214134_Reddit (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 5.27.40 PM (resized).png
    FBF1A993-2696-48E7-9B35-9A9F7D8BB7B6 (resized).jpeg
    6B6DD80F-C74E-4026-B9AE-BBC8AC0E2D45 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sataneatscheese.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1081 2 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

taking a beating recently but not deviating from the robot investing buy regularly and hold forever strategy.

Yep,

Dollar cost averaging works wonders over time. I won't be touching my Roths or 401k for atleast 35 years, so up, down, sideways... it's all gravy at this point in time. I'm pretty sure my growth stock mutual funds will be worth more than I paid for them when it's time to sell. Pretty darn sure the stock market will be up over where it is now in 2050 when I need it.

The kids' 529s won't be touched for another 10 years, and I'm pretty sure the market will be back up by then too... I'd bet my children's future on it.

#1112 2 years ago

And... the Stock Market has its biggest 1 day point rise ever.

1 week later
    #1123 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

LOL, i still use the code. F that, no one is getting my finger print or my face....

Not paranoid... but legally, you don't have to tell a law enforcement officer you phone password. However, refusing to provide biometric data like a thumb print or face scan is obstruction of justice... so passwords are the way to go.

With that said... my phone stays unlocked

DOW 28,000 by December.

7 months later
    #1212 1 year ago

So I'm a buy and hold kind of guy with 30+ years until I retire with all my holdings outside my residence in mutual funds. I am curious how the active traders are playing on the 850+ point drop in the market today (8/5/2019).

3 months later
    #1283 1 year ago

I'm 50% VIGAX and 50% VIGRX. Slow and steady wins the race. I'll spread that out a little more as I get more to invest.

1 month later
    #1296 1 year ago
    Quoted from Kneissl:

We’re in the roaring twenties now. Hold on to your butts!

I plan on raiding my 401k for funds... in 34 years. If the market goes down this decade... more stock money for me in the future! If the market goes up this decade... more stock money for me in the future. Long story short, I'm good.

Start paying for oldests' college in 10 years though.

Dow 60,000 by 2030!

#1323 1 year ago

I like mutual funds for easy management and instant diversification.

Here is my 2019 performance:
    Retirement and Kids College is all invested in Vanguard Growth Index Fund Investor Shares (VIGRX) and Vanguard Small-Cap Growth Index Investor Shares (VSGAX) returning 32.96% and 30.81% year over year each. Can't win every year, but very happy. S&P500 was up 29.6% in 2019. Both had expense ratios less than .17% so outperformed the S&P500 even with expenses.

#1325 1 year ago
    Quoted from investingdad:

Just a note, Vanguard does not benchmark those funds against the S&P500.

100% agreed. My point is that both funds beat the S&P 500 even with expense ratios included.

#1327 1 year ago

I know just enough about the stock market to know that I don't know what I'm doing, and mutual funds are a better option for me. Can you let me know where my logic is wrong above?

#1331 1 year ago
    Quoted from investingdad:

Sure. Let's say I'm invested 100% in bonds and I return 5% in 2019.
    One could say I returned less than the S&P which returned over 25% in 2019.
    But that would be a meaningless comparison, like saying the basketball team consistently outscored the hockey team.
    The Vanguard funds you mention are not measured against the S&P because the holdings they are made of do not reflect the S&P.
    Instead, you want to compare the performance against the fund's benchmark, net of mgmt fee, to guage how the fund is doing within its category.
    Most passive funds are just under the benchmark each year. As one would expect, they just mimic.
    Active funds are paying managers their salaries (fees) to do better. I avoid them.

This makes perfect sense. Thank you.

1 month later
    #1418 11 months ago

I'm dollar cost averaging 20% of my income every other week into mutual funds. Once I have another 100k in my accounts I'll re-balance and repeat the process. This bad news, is good for my investments before I retire in 32 years... good news helps too. I figure about a 0% chance the market will be lower in 2051 when I retire.

#1419 11 months ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Anyone could have seen this coming 2 weeks ago. Many are trying to spread misinformation comparing this new disease to the flu. The flu does not shut down the Worlds second largest economy, creating shortages of necessary drugs, raw materials for every type of manufacture, parts for autos, appliances, phones and every electronic device.
    Covid19 is more akin to pneumonic plague than flu with airborne transmission, a long surface contamination life and asymptomatic transmission.
    This is not a buy the dip opportunity, unless you enjoy throwing money away.

As someone with three asthmatic kids, and a solid history of being completely healthy except for having a strong susceptibility to pneumonia (caught it again in December)… please don't make the pneumonic plague analogy.

#1468 10 months ago

I'm totally cool with it. I just wish my Father in Law wasn't literally retiring tomorrow (2/27) and living off of his savings. For me this is just a buying opportunity.

#1511 10 months ago

Well, normally I max out the IRA contributions for the year in December. However, after last week's wild ride I've decided to go ahead and max out the Roth this morning. I just threw it into another USAA mutual fund.

I can't buy/sell socks without treating it like gambling, so this mild effort to time the market is about as far as I can go. Time to root for stocks to go back up again!

Go Bull go!

#1521 10 months ago

And, the Dow Jones has the biggest 1 day gain ever.

market (resized).png
    1 week later
    #1836 10 months ago

So... 3/12 will be worst dow day of year...

#1880 10 months ago
    Quoted from sataneatscheese:

-2352... Sometimes I hate being right. Worst Dow day ever by points. 4th worst by percentage loss (-9.99%)

#1923 10 months ago

Presidential press conference announced for 3 EST on the Corona Virus. Will the market spike or crater afterwards?

#1940 10 months ago

Presidential press conference announced for 3 EST on the Corona Virus. Will the market spike or crater afterwards?

Well… DOW has spiked 1,000 points since the press conference started. Up 7% overall for the day. Still doesn't make up for yesterday but the needle is moving in the right direction.

#1943 10 months ago

Well… DOW has spiked 1,000 points since the press conference started. Up 7% overall for the day. Still doesn't make up for yesterday but the needle is moving in the right direction.

And the DOW closes almost 2,000 points up. US markets up almost 10% today. Doesn't make up for yesterday, but comes close.

#2125 10 months ago

That quote didn't age well...

#2220 10 months ago

Whelp,

I just bailed on the market. Switched the kids 529's to "preservation of capital". Switched my 401k to "preservation of capital/short term bonds". Put in sell orders on all my IRA mutual funds. I will jump back in when the market hits 24,000 and I've missed the first part of the run or when I think it's bottomed. I think things are going to get worse before they get better. They say we are 8-10 days behind Italy on this. When Italy's market shoots up for a solid week, I'll jump back in, but it has been dropping even faster than the DOW. I don't know where we are going to bottom out, but if my theory on Italy is correct the DOW will close below 17,000 by next Friday. I'm guessing we won't see the lows until... sigh... July.

When I go back in I'll go back in with aggressive mutual funds, but will put my ROTH IRA in stocks. We'll see what looks cheap in 2 weeks time. I can only adjust funds in the kids 529s 2x per year, and I just did it, so I have to be extra careful on that one.

#2232 10 months ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Down to 10k by end of the week?

Down to 17k by the end of next week.

#2235 10 months ago

So where and when do you think the bottom will hit... Dow 7K in July?

#2296 10 months ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Old malaria drug hydroxychloroquine may help cure coronavirus: study
    https://nypost.com/2020/03/19/old-malaria-drug-hydroxychloroquine-may-help-cure-coronavirus-study/

if this comes to fruition in the next few days, the market could shoot up very quickly

"Quinine". This stuff is used in the saltwater aquarium hobby to get rid of flatworms. It used to go for 20$ a bottle. A few weeks ago they were going for $500 a bottle on Ebay. Now you can't find it.

We used to have day laborers come in and buy fish anti-biotics when I worked at an aquarium store. People treat the pet store like an emergency pharmacy.

#2308 10 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Looks like the early morning relief rally has faded. But the day is still young.
    Some of you talk about Boeing. I think Boeing, a major DOW stock, will see $200.00 per share as this virus crisis (or whatever you want to call it) continues.

So much has changed in 9 days. Boeing is under $100 a share now. I'd probably buy a 1,000 shares if it hits $20 this month.

#2314 10 months ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Just talked to my guy and I am looking to do some nibbling when the S&P is in the 2350 range. Anybody else got a target?

Boeing: $20 per share.

I'm not touching anything until sometime after the Dow is under 16,999 or above 24,000 and I've missed the rally.

#2400 10 months ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Didn't Martha Stewart go to prison for the same shit?

No, she went to prison for lying to the FBI about doing the same stuff.

#2416 10 months ago

Will the dow be up or down atbthe end of the week? I am predicting sub 17k.

#2562 10 months ago

Looking into Cracker Barrel, Ruths Chris, and Red Robbin.

#2676 10 months ago

Bougt Cracker Barrel and Six Flags yesterday morning in the IRA. Threw the kids college fund bank in mutual funds. Cant move it again until 2021. Will look at throwing 401k back in April 1st when I can move again.

#2720 10 months ago

Sold my six Flags after 24 hours for a 20% gain. Bailed to buy red robbin. My cracker barrel is down 10%. All else in sensible mutual funds. Fun 24 hours!

#2813 9 months ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

not much funds here...
    How do I turn a 401k into cash?
    I would be happy to just park it on the sidelines and wait.

Look for something labled preservation of cash or short term bond.

#2867 9 months ago
    Quoted from AliciaC:

Took advantage of KPG's reference to STKS - thanks for the tip!
    Thoughts on Cheesecake Factory (CAKE)? Fell from $51 to almost a 52 week low of $16. Can't make their April rent, but the odds of failure long term seems low.

I like cracker barrel and.red robbin more but am currently losing my butt on them.

#2904 9 months ago

If Im not mistakren Amazon makes more off of cloud computing than web sales. It should be under a huge demand right now and its competitors cant expand right now

#2944 9 months ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

I suck at this. How is EVERYTHING up right now? Thought we would see another plunge today.

If it makes you feel any better my Red Robbin stocks are down another 12% today.

#2974 9 months ago
    Quoted from kpg:

STKS was such a win... Got in average around $.80 or so, sold half @ $1.49, and the rest at $1.99 yesterday!!! Glad you followed.
    ARCO I should have sold some on that big pop the other day, but really, it's an amazing long term hold.
    They are the largest McDonalds franchisee in the world... And their McDonalds are in Latin America and the Caribbean. Really, the only places the Coronavirus hasn't shut anything down yet their stock took a beating. $750m or so marketcap now... But $4B+ in revenue a year. When all this passes, this thing should rip.
    At some point I may start a new service, but it would have to be a completely different format because it was so stressful to run it on a daily basis and it affected my own personal trading to be honest, so it's unlikely.

Well... STKS is down 40% today... Down under $1 a share again. Didn't bite last time. Don't think I'm touching it this time.

#2983 9 months ago
    Quoted from kpg:

STKS down to $1
    Nibbled on some at a buck for long term Will add on any more drops. Glad I sold when I did... traders game!

And if you sell it now you can make 20% as it's back up to 1.20 in the past... hour.

#3011 9 months ago

I can't move my 401k money back into the market until April (tomorrow), and would okay with a "temporary" dip in the market.

With that said, Go RRGB, Go CBRL!

I just don't know what the market overall is going to do. If there was no government intervention on it I'm guessing it would be under 15k by now, but I just don't know what those fed dollars will do.

#3015 9 months ago

Just put in an order for 1,000 shares of BURG... the parent company of Hooters at $.31 a share (a whoping $300). It is currently at .38$. I am still of the opinion that restaurant stocks are beyond bargain basement prices right now and will rebound in the coming year. If what they say is true and 1/3 of Restaurants go out of business, where are their customers going to go? Yes there may be less customers, but I have a feeling there will be an even smaller supply of restaurants to serve that need.

#3017 9 months ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I think hooters was on the decline before the virus
    During times like these, you only want to buy the strongest companies, even if they are at a more expensive valuation

100% agreed. My main Restaurant plays are in Cracker Barrel and Red Robin. Cracker Barrel in particular is not going anywhere anytime soon and the same is true to a lesser extent for Red Robin.

Hooters stock is a purely speculative play, and at worse I will be out the price of a new Color DMD on that one. Hooters stock price has been undergoing some pretty wild price swings in the past 2 weeks, more so than most other stocks. If I can get in at $.31 and get out at $.42, I will be happy and well entertained.

1 week later
    #3222 9 months ago
    Quoted from kpg:

It's all simple really, the market needs to have a bounce and create a lower high before it tanks again.
    For now it will glide higher squeezing shorts and tricking moron retail investors that "long term I'm going to be rich"
    And when they find out their favorite stock will lose 50% again in the next couple of months before it goes up 50%, they'll sell in a panic on the next big drop to the smart money who saw that as a buying opportunity.
    Dow seems to be gravitating to that test of the 200d moving average where it may very well fail.. and fail violently.
    Markets don't move straight down then straight back up.
    Think of it like a rubber ball.
    What happened is someone dropped it from a 10 story high building, it hit the ground @ Dow 18,000 - bounced, and while it may appear to have the momentum of getting back to it's highs, the momentum is lost and it will make a lower high, rinse and repeat. That is how bear markets work. There's just some great trading opportunities if you can get close to timing trades. As you saw with oil prices the other day.
    Timing is key to everything in life.

I fall solidly in this corner.

Jumped out on the way down at 22k. Jumped back in at 20k on the way up in the kids college fund and IRAs, jumped in Monday morning with the 401k. I have been burned 1 time in the stock market, and that was back in 2011-2012 betting against the market right before they unleashed "Quantitative easing". When the government starts throwing money around, in general, the market goes up. I think the bottom of the market will be in before the worst of the virus hits... which is coming in the next 30 days here in the USA (me thinks). I'm losing my butt on my speculative single stock plays, but am holding on to them for now. I bought Cracker Barrel at 99, it's at 84.88 after market (it briefly dipped down below 70). I bought Red Robin at 12, it's at 10.60 after hours. It was down below 7 last week but has surged 40% in the past 24 hours. I may keep Cracker Barrel long term, but with stocks fluctuating so much I think the restaraunt stocks are oversold. I will probably dump Red Robin in the next month. I am looking at cruise stocks right now, and think Carnival will not be hit as hard as the other cruise lines. It has been my experience that Carnival Cruisers are generally younger than those of the other lines (they are essentially party boats filled with younger people) and will not be hit as hard. There is a fire sale on them right now. Once I can pull a profit of RRGB (somewhere between 15 and 20 a share) I will probably bail on them and go long on Carnival. With the exception of Red Robin and Six Flags (which I pulled a 30% profit on in 24 hours) I am only buying stocks that I think will recover strongly over the next few years if they don't do well short term.

Please note that I am no stock sage, and the vast majority of my retirement/kids college funds are in mutual funds run by professionals. I am throwing around some of my IRA in individual stocks that I can afford to lose, and believe the slow and steady is the way to win in the long run.

#3388 9 months ago

Sold my RRGB stake for a 1% loss and bought oxy at the close. Still holding on to CBRL. At a 10% loss there but Its something I think Id like to keep.

#3423 9 months ago

What do you guys think. Does oil finish higher or lower on Monday?

1 week later
    #3618 9 months ago

Oil futures crashed a third overnight... A barrel of oil is now... about $11. I am 33 years old. In my entire life oil has only been cheaper than that about 6 months. Going to be an interesting day on the market. What happens when the demand for oil is so low there is no place to store it?

Good thing I bought OXY week before last at $15 a share. Going to be holding onto that one for a little while I expect.

market (resized).png
    #3621 9 months ago
    Quoted from loneacer:

Technically $11 is true, but it's a little misleading as that's the May contract that's about to expire. The June contract is still around $23. So in a couple days will the headline be that oil is up over 100% from $11 to $23?

Maybe.

Right now the headline is "Oil on track for worst day ever".

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/20/coronavirus-us-oil-prices-collapse-as-storage-runs-out.html

#3636 9 months ago

Holy Crap. Oil futures for May delivery now down under $9 per barrel. That's a 50% day over day drop.

oil (resized).png
    #3640 9 months ago

Oil now $2 a barrel.

#3643 9 months ago

$1.15 a barrel... could it go negative?

1 week later
    #3820 8 months ago

Looking into Cracker Barrel, Ruths Chris, and Red Robbin.

Dang it. I bet on Cracker Barrel and Red Robbin. Ruths is up 125% since I made that post. O well.

#3831 8 months ago

I know it's a cartoon but this short clip has really helped me understand how to play the stock market now that the fed takes a more active role in economics.

#3899 8 months ago

I've sold my CBRL and RRGB today and bought a 1000 shares each of STKS, BNED, BORR, VAL, PRTY, LUB, RUTH, CNTY, OXY earlier today. Almost all of these are highly distressed and selling at a deep discount right now and were down 5-15% in early trading today. Yes I know these are risky, but I have the main retirement fund in sensible mutual funds.

1 week later
    #4042 8 months ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Who Farted about an hour before close today and caused the sell off?

Fauci

#4067 8 months ago

Woot! Down 16% this week in my day trading account!

#4091 8 months ago

Prediction: Dow up 800+ points today (5/18).

#4093 8 months ago
    Quoted from loneacer:

That's cheating when the futures are already up 700.

They were only up 300 at the time...

2 weeks later
    #4273 7 months ago

I've sold my CBRL and RRGB today and bought a 1000 shares each of STKS, BNED, BORR, VAL, PRTY, LUB, RUTH, CNTY, OXY earlier today. Almost all of these are highly distressed and selling at a deep discount right now and were down 5-15% in early trading today. Yes I know these are risky, but I have the main retirement fund in sensible mutual funds.

Well, CBRL and RRGB are both up over 25% since I sold them last month. My other stocks are up, but only by 12%. I sold half my Luby's and Party City after they doubled in price. I bought shares of MITT (REIT) and WMC (REIT) IMCI (Foolish gamble) with those funds and money I got from selling BNED (campus bookstores will take time to recover) BORR (still have), VAL (Still have) are both down about 15%. I am holding on to STKS (up 35%), Ruth (up 1%), CNTY (up 45%) and OXY (up 3%). I am buying distressed stocks while the market is down(ish) and will switch over to sensible stocks once I feel like things are back to normal (looking at MSFT long term).

Still have kids 529s and my 401k in sensible mutual funds (which are nearing full recovery).

#4276 7 months ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Glad to see somebody follow me on CNTY. Has been a good play.
    Unemployment numbers much better than expected. Futures point up 500. Normally, I would expect to see some profit taking late in the day but I think people are willing the market to go up right now. Thoughts?

Best market day ever in my portfolio. Up 15% today. I think these riots are showing that the COVID stuff is winding down in weeks to months, not months to years. I'd say Dow 30 000 by the end of the summer. Now is the time to dump tech(which has been strong) and invest in the market sectors that are still down. Once the market fully recovers it will be the reverse.

As of today I am officially making money off of the Pandemic and am back to pre March levels everywhere except my 529s, which are still down but recovering. Will go back into ETFs once things settle down.

#4290 7 months ago

It's really hard to keep track of exactly how much up and down you are at any given time. However, since I moved to Schwab on 22 May, my portfolio is up 45.5%. I shifted things around again today and have the following breakdown in my IRA.

OXY-43.20%
    CNTY-13.77%
    IVR-9.31%
    MITT-7.76%
    AI-7.06%
    NYMT-6.4%
    WMC-6.38%
    BORR-2.32%
    PRTY-1.88%
    VAL-1.53%

My focus has been on buying stocks that are at 50% or less of the pre-COVID price that seem likely to bounce back. If you look these up, I am heavy in oil, casinos, and REITs. In the past week I have bailed on RUTH, STKS, LUB, BNED and IMCI. BNED and IMCI were the only real losers there. I have officially recovered from COVID... in my IRAs at least. 529s are still down around 15% and 401k is down about 5%. However, when the markets settle tonight it should be pretty close.

#4307 7 months ago

It's really hard to keep track of exactly how much up and down you are at any given time. However, since I moved to Schwab on 22 May, my portfolio is up 45.5%. I shifted things around again today and have the following breakdown in my IRA.
    OXY-43.20%
    CNTY-13.77%
    IVR-9.31%
    MITT-7.76%
    AI-7.06%
    NYMT-6.4%
    WMC-6.38%
    BORR-2.32%
    PRTY-1.88%
    VAL-1.53%
    My focus has been on buying stocks that are at 50% or less of the pre-COVID price that seem likely to bounce back. If you look these up, I am heavy in oil, casinos, and REITs. In the past week I have bailed on RUTH, STKS, LUB, BNED and IMCI. BNED and IMCI were the only real losers there. I have officially recovered from COVID... in my IRAs at least. 529s are still down around 15% and 401k is down about 5%. However, when the markets settle tonight it should be pretty close.

And... after 2 months of little to no movement in my account, I am was up 15% on Friday and am up 20% so far today. I have one stock in the red today (CNTY), down under 1% and everything else is in the green... with the second worst stock... up 10%. I'll forgive CNTY as I'm up 60% on it. My biggest winner is VAL... I bought in at .32 the end of April and it's at 1.83 today (doubled again over the weekend). Only bought 1,000 shares but dang. MITT is running away on me. Bought in Wednesday and doubled down on REITS Thrusday. Long story short, for every dollar I had invested 22 May (my bottom) I have 1.73 today. I am going to be looking into offloading some of this and putting it in something more stable and long-term soon. To make sure everything can't go belly up at once. I'm thinking a mix of MSFT, NOW, CBRL, or a decent mutual fund. I may unload CNTY for some more speculative stock soon.

#4311 7 months ago

And... after 2 months of little to no movement in my account, I am was up 15% on Friday and am up 20% so far today. I have one stock in the red today (CNTY), down under 1% and everything else is in the green... with the second worst stock... up 10%. I'll forgive CNTY as I'm up 60% on it. My biggest winner is VAL... I bought in at .32 the end of April and it's at 1.83 today (doubled again over the weekend). Only bought 1,000 shares but dang. MITT is running away on me. Bought in Wednesday and doubled down on REITS Thrusday. Long story short, for every dollar I had invested 22 May (my bottom) I have 1.73 today. I am going to be looking into offloading some of this and putting it in something more stable and long-term soon. To make sure everything can't go belly up at once. I'm thinking a mix of MSFT, NOW, CBRL, or a decent mutual fund. I may unload CNTY for some more speculative stock soon.

Today was my best market day ever... up 31% today. I don't know how much longer this will last but I'm not complaining. I ended up bailing on CNTY and PRTY today to trade for AHOTF and MFA. Excluding the stuff I jumped on after opening, every stock I own was up 12%+ today, with VAL, BORR, and MITT all being up over 120% each. I will probably bail on the REITs sometime in the next few weeks as this cannot last. For every $1 I had in my IRAs on 22 May, I now have $1.91.

The portfolio spread as of today is:

OXY:39.45%
    MITT:12.24%
    IVR: 11.24%
    AI: 5.87%
    WMC: 5.84%
    MFA: 5.50%
    NYMT: 5.48%
    AHOTF: 4.36%
    BORR: 4.25%
    VAL: 3.54%
    Cash: 2.25%
    Total: 100%

#4320 7 months ago

Today was my best market day ever... up 31% today. I don't know how much longer this will last but I'm not complaining. I ended up bailing on CNTY and PRTY today to trade for AHOTF and MFA. Excluding the stuff I jumped on after opening, every stock I own was up 12%+ today, with VAL, BORR, and MITT all being up over 120% each. I will probably bail on the REITs sometime in the next few weeks as this cannot last. For every $1 I had in my IRAs on 22 May, I now have $1.91.
    The portfolio spread as of today is:
    OXY:39.45%
    MITT:12.24%
    IVR: 11.24%
    AI: 5.87%
    WMC: 5.84%
    MFA: 5.50%
    NYMT: 5.48%
    AHOTF: 4.36%
    BORR: 4.25%
    VAL: 3.54%
    Cash: 2.25%
    Total: 100%

And... the best 2 days ever is followed by the worst day ever. 12% in the red. Still way up. Let's go green tomorrow!

#4323 7 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

You call today the worst day ever? What are your parameters for calling this the worst day ever?
    The SPX is off 25 points.
    Dow is off 300 points.

* Worst day ever for my personal day trading fund.

#4335 7 months ago

Bought NOW and MAC after selling my oil stocks. I deal with NOW IN the government sector and they look like a good long term stable play. Sold OXY BORR and VAL. Oil is going to stall for a while again me thinks. Up 40+% to 200% on the OIL stuff so today's downturn is no biggie. In at 10.67 on MAC.

#4366 7 months ago

* Worst day ever for my personal day trading fund.

* Worst day ever so far. Down 15% today but still Covid up. In non speculative stock I like NOW and TEAM.

#4395 7 months ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

The cruise line rally is what baffles me! You couldn’t pay me to get on one of those ships! I would assume most feel the same way after all those people were marooned on the ships and quarantined to their cabins for weeks... sounds like a nightmare, we are Going to see some BK’s IMHO.

Corona special. Buy one week get 2 free!

Up 7.75% today.

#4402 7 months ago

Just went out today in Maryland. Home Depot was as busy as I have ever seen it. I couldn't get in the Amish Market as the line to get in was over an hour long. 5 below was mobbed. I passed 2 garage sales and an Estate Sale in my neighborhood this morning on my walk. I had to wait 5 minutes to check out at Petco. 100% were wearing masks. Maryland just opened retaraunts and non essential businesses to 50% yesterday. The only sign business was bad was the closed health club and theater I passed which should open next week. Government workers and contractors here almost all working and working remote. I live in the most liberal part of the country just outside the state and national capital. I am 100% behind the nation is opening back up and opening up soon. I'm keeping my play money in REITs and other it is opening up soon bets. The local arcade is even opening next week. I am seeing the pent up demand. Economy is absolutely exploding between now and July 4th. No brakes on this train.

3 weeks later
    #4582 6 months ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

So CCL up 10% today.
    MAC up 7.5%
    A slight rotation day out of momentum high flyers.
    Just saying. It's coming again.

Yeppers,

Just wish I bought my MAC at 8 something instead of 10.67. It just needs a little time.

1 week later
    #4602 6 months ago
    Quoted from jester523:

What do you guys think is a better use of extra cash right now? Pay down debt (low interest mortgage), invest, or hold cash for market dip crash. Part of me hates debt, but the rate is so low (3.875) does it make sense?

Refinance today. If you are at 3.875 you could drop a point to 2.75 on a 30 or 2.5 to drop it to a 15.

#4605 6 months ago
    Quoted from Oaken:

Mine is easy to get a hold of...problem is my bank is a good 75-100 basis points above market rate at this point. (Hence him being available).
    I have just been making a couple extra payments to shave a few years off.

Quoted from jester523:

I'm looking to convert to a 15. Loan officers seem overwhelmed right now. Been having trouble getting a hold of the one who helped with my last mortgage.

Guys, go to bankrate.com and check mortgage rates at 0800, 1000, and 1200 EST tomorrow. Go with the lowest lender. I checked today when we were talking at work. It was 2.125 for a 10, 2.25 for a 15, and 2.625 for a 30. You don't have to put in any private info and just call whoever the lowest rate is. Today it was sebonic. This is how I got my 2.625 15 year... back in 2016.

#4610 6 months ago

Here is what I'm getting this morning.

Rates (resized).png
    #4614 6 months ago

Of note, rates change multiple times throughout the day. If you are looking, check several times during banking hours. A 15 year fixed jumped up 1/2 a point as far as what was available for me in the past 5 hours.

rates2 (resized).png
    1 month later
    #4886 4 months ago

Whelp... my dumbass just jumped in on Teslas at 342.66. Don't think I'll stay in long but this looks like an opportunity to me. With all that said this is the guy who bought MAC at 10.50 and sold at 7.50 so take it for what it's worth. Bailed on most of my other REITs too.

#4928 4 months ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Vanguard has a great history and I subscribe to the Boglehead theory myself. I keep 95% of my value with index funds of different sorts. You're right, there is $ to be made, but there is also money to be lost.

I am preaching to the choir here but...

Rule of 72 states that your money will double in value in roughly 72 divided by the interest rate years. At a 7% return, this would imply money doubling every 10 years and at 10% this would imply money doubling every 7 years.

Past performance is no guarantee of future success but you can look at the historical performance of any mutual fund out there over a 1,5,10 year period... whatever.

In theory, all you would have to do is selevt mutual funds that hit 10% average interest over the past 10 years and you would double your money every 7 years in accordance with Buffets ideals. Easy right?

The problem is, the higher the return (on average) the higher the risk and the bigger the swings.

I personally believe index funds and mutual funds are a safer play that individual stocks as there is instant diversification (of a sort) in every fund.

I believe that a mix of mutual funds/index funds and individual stocks is the way to go. I love picking stocks (it's fun) and have had much bigger swings in my stock market account than in my mutual funds. Looking back, my mutual funds have doubled in value at between 5 and 7 years (markets been nuts) in my adult lifetime. I am doing much better in my mutual funds than in my individual stocks over time. As such, I personally keep my 401k money in mutual funds, while keeping my IRA money in stocks. This forces about an 80% mutual fund 20% stock fund split at any given time. If I lose my butt on stocks it sucks, but it's not going to keep me working forever.

However, I think we can all agree that 1 investment appreciates more than any other in this day and age, and that is a solid portfolio of 5+ year old pinball machines that we can play and then sell at cost at worst. I recommend diversification between as many manufacturers as possible (not you Hopepin).

Pinball... that's why we're here... pinball.

#4930 4 months ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Which office? Scottsdale?
    Let me say this for anyone mentioning mutual funds, Edward Jones etc., GET OUT and buy the same objective low cost ETF for 10x less the cost, more or less.
    Fees matter, especially in BOND FUNDS that generate nothing!
    I don't manage bonds for my clients for that very reason. It's not fair for them. Unless its short term like VGSH.

ETFs > Mutual funds, can be traded faster than mutual funds, and are all around better investments. However, many of us working schmucks are forced into mutual funds through employer sponsored 401ks that don't offer other investment options.

#4971 4 months ago

(Tuesday 8 September) Whelp... my dumbass just jumped in on Tesla at 342.66. Don't think I'll stay in long but this looks like an opportunity to me. With all that said this is the guy who bought MAC at 10.50 and sold at 7.50 so take it for what it's worth. Bailed on most of my other REITs too.

Looks like I actually called one right for once! Closed at 419.62 today! I figure the stock is going to rise this week in anticipation of battery day next Tuesday. I am in for the short term and am going to sell this week no matter what. I will sell at $514 (a 50% gain), or whenever it feels right on Friday... whichever comes first.

Also bailed on NAK (small holdings). Looking hard at OXY. Might jump in if it drops below $10.

#4978 4 months ago
    Quoted from RA77:

Does the tax on gains somewhat negate the profit on a quick sale ?
    I am new to trading and trying to get my head around the tax pitfalls.
    Here we have to hold for 12 months to reduce tax on capital gains.
    How do you guys get hit there ?

It depends on what kind of account you have it in. This particular set of money is in a tax advantaged account called an IRA. The idea is that this is special money I have set aside for retirement. I can put pre tax money into my IRA, and any stock there grows without paying taxes until it is time for me to withdraw it. I could buy and sell 50 times per day, it makes no issue. However, when it is time for me to sell I pay taxes on the gains my stocks have made and I can't withdraw it until 59.5 without paying an extra heavy penalty. There is a similar IRA that works in a similar fashion called a ROTH IRA where I put in after tax dollars and the funds grow tax free until time to withdraw and I pay no tax at that time. I am limited to $5500 in contributions per anum to a ROTH IRA without fancy accounting tricks.

If I don't have it in a retirement account I would pay capital gains tax on the profits when selling, but could also write off the losses. Most people do not do this.

As it is, I am investing retirement dollars and will not be paying any taxes on any of the gains for 30+ years.

#4985 4 months ago

Just bought into Oxy at $10.83 I was hoping to grab it under $10 but missed it. Don't see much downside at this price but won't keep it forever. Still going to sell TSLA this week.

#4987 4 months ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I guess me buying more Tesla at 330.00/share wasn't a bad idea after all, hitting 440 right now.

Congrats! Loaded up (relatively) at $342 a week ago.

What's your "I'm bailing" price on TSLA right now. I'm planning on dumping at $514 or on Friday, whichever comes first. I think there will be a run up to battery day next week, and then a sharp sell off. Thoughts?

#5046 4 months ago

Bailing on TESLA today. In at 342 last week so winning no matter what... Trying to guess what the high for the day will be. Figure it will likely go up Monday and part of the day Tuesday, then crash again.

#5052 4 months ago

Bailing on TESLA today. In at 342 last week so winning no matter what... Trying to guess what the high for the day will be. Figure it will likely go up Monday and part of the day Tuesday, then crash again.

Screw it... just bailed on Tesla at 443. I'll take a $100 a share profit in two weeks anytime!

Trying to resist the urge to buy things in the interim. May sell some other stuff to. Looking hard at AAPL if it drops under $100.

#5060 4 months ago

RGB just died. RIP. This makes a Trump reelection more likely. Betting odds will reflect this Monday. Markets like Trump. I say a 500 point rise in the Dow Monday.

#5068 4 months ago

RGB just died. RIP. This makes a Trump reelection more likely. Betting odds will reflect this Monday. Markets like Trump. I say a 500 point rise in the Dow Monday.

Monday market prediction has proven... fasle. I sold all my TSLA and held cash Friday. I'm going to sell everything else (in day trading fund) today at the market open. I'm up so no biggie. I am eying 2 major investment opportunities.

1. I predict TSLA will spike then crash this week. I think Tuesday by the close it may see 500, but by the end of the week it is likely to be back closer to or even under 400. If it hits 360 again I will back up the truck.

2. I may jump on the APPL train if it drops below 100.

Looking to time the market (big mistake I know) and see what is on sale.

With RGB down this week politics will be volatile. I think things will settle down a bit on Wednesday next week (the 30th) assuming the debate happens on the 29th.

#5070 4 months ago
    Quoted from wtuttle:

Or a 750-point bloodbath. You just never know with these markets!

See post above where I eat my words.

#5095 4 months ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Here is my issue with stocks. I own some, but not a lot compared to most of you guys / gals. My issue is when I look at what I've made on a particular stock and then I look at the 30% capital gains, it seems like if you're not making $5k or $10k trades, you're just working for the government. For example, let's say I buy 100 shares of Stock X at $10/share and it goes up to $12/share. I sell it and take my 20% profit which is only $200. Now remove the crazy short term capital gains of $40 and I've made $140.
    I guess it's $140 I didn't have yesterday, but on the downside, I could easily lose more than that $200 and the write offs are limited from my understanding. Maybe my reasoning is flawed......
    So instead of buying stocks, I've just been putting 31% of my pay in my 401K. Maybe that's not the best way to go, but it's better than nothing.
    Are there any of you that just play with a little money? I just don't have the capital to play with $30k trades on a regular basis like I see in some posts because I spent it all on pinball machines.

Don't forget about your tax advantaged accounts.

You can put $6,000 in a ROTH or traditional IRA every year. If you put your money into a ROTH account, you use "after tax dollars". From here on out that money grows tax free. So if you drop your money into a ROTH IRA, you can buy/sell/trade all you want with no tax implications so long as it stays in the account. You can start at $6,000, and make $500,000 per year in the market listening to ICEMAN. You can't withdraw the money until you reach retirement age, but when you withdraw the money you do not pay income tax and you do not pay capital gains.

Were you to have your money in a non-tax advantaged account, yes, much of what you say is true.

#5097 4 months ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I've thought about backing down my contribution and moving some of the 401k dollars into a Roth. Can you buy individual stocks "inside" of a Roth? They aren't funds like they are with my 401k? Is the growth non-taxable or just the initial investment?
    As for making 500k following iceman44 I'm not sure that I have the bankroll.

Yes. You can open an IRA with most banking institutions or through someplace like Schwab or Vangard. You buy individual stocks, ETFs, mutual funds, and I think you can buy bonds and a few other financial instruments if that is your thing. The general recommended investment strategy is as follows:

1. Contribute to 401k options up to the match (if you have one).
    2. Max out an IRA (ROTH recommended).
    3. Max out remainder of 401k up to the max.
    4. Consult a financial expert for other tax differed recommendations.

I am also a big fan of the following flowchart that I am sure will open a huge can of worms here.

https://i.imgur.com/lSoUQr2.png

lSoUQr2 (resized).jpg

#5155 3 months ago

Well, after buying Tesla 2 weeks ago at 340 and selling at 440 last week, I'm going to dip my toes back in. Here are the buys I'm scoping.

Progressively larger TSLA pickups at 400 (executed), 390 (executed) , 380 (soon!), 370, 360, 350, 340. I expect TSLA to bottom out at about 360 and turn upwards, but don't want to miss it.

OXY pickup if it drops under 10.

AAPL pickup if it drops under 100.

Purely speculative plays and for the record have the vast majority of my holdings in sensible mutual funds I don't mess with.

#5192 3 months ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I'm just asking for $25 on CCL post memorial day excitement on the optimism of re-openings. And $95 on SPG
    For the MAC updates.
    https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/09/15/wall-street-is-underestimating-macerich-stock/

Don't buy or sell on MAC until you explore both opinions there.
    There is a 51% short interest that will have to cover at some point.
    It will require PATIENCE to let the story play itself out over the next 18 months or so.
    It's just a trade on the downtrodden and unloved!!

Bet big on MAC at $11. Sold at $7.50. You win some and you lose some. Made it back elsewhere. It does look cheap now but look back through history on this thread at how long MAC has looked like a good buy. Still may dip my toe back in.

With that said... I don't do this for a living like some others. Waiting for OXY to dip under $10.

#5198 3 months ago

Sigh... bought into OXY again at 10.23.

I think this is going to be a volitile week coming up. News on countries shutting back down and the debate Tuesday giving people a better idea of who will win in the U.S. election.

#5274 3 months ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Anybody else still playing RKT? It is on fire right now!

Yes! Bought in at 19.99 yesterday. Rates are low. I haven't refinanced but have been quoted under 2% APR elsewhere. See lots of refinancing in the next 6 months.

#5283 3 months ago

Non political statement. The president just tested positive for COVID-19. Me thinks stocks relying on an early reopening are going to have a bad day today. What stocks do you think will be on sale or we be on sale today. I heard that after the JFK assassination it took 2 days for the market to recover so this may be but a brief setback for the market.

#5289 3 months ago
    Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

The premarket trades are interesting. Apple is taking a hit. If it goes below $110 I think I'll be a buyer today. Maybe Rocket if goes below $20.

Just bought AAPL and AMZN. Longer shutdown looks good for them to me.

1 week later
    #5339 3 months ago

Dumped OXY and jumped on the PINS train for a while at 45.

#5373 3 months ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

OXY at <10 now. I'm tempted. Anyone else?

I jumped in for a little bit for about a 5% gain then bailed. Look at thr slope on the long term chart. If you think oil will rise soon its a good bet. If not stay away. With that said I may jump back in short term, but dont think it's a good long term buy.

#5381 3 months ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

A great day to own PINS! Which again for me is thanks to iceman44

Seconded. Will bail by 60. Go go go!

1 week later
    #5425 84 days ago

Awaiting pins and fsly earnings tonight. Will likely dump tomorrow and hold cash until election week. Up 10% on Pins and fastly the last few weeks(in at 45). Down on fsly at 75 entry. Fingers crossed.

#5430 84 days ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

WOOOO!!!
    YOU SEE THAT 13% PINS AFTER-HOUR TRADING?
    Bought into PINS and Fastly yesterday
    YEEHAW IMMEDIATELY 10% up

Plug is local, 30 minutes from me and I got some stock as a gift, and I saw it climb from like $9 2 months ago to $19 and now it’s at about 15? Definitely buy. It’s one of the leading hydrogen fuel cell companies

No... I don't see it. I see the + 25% after hours trading.

Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

PINS is on fire! Big revenue beat!

#5442 83 days ago

Sold pins at 67.50. Considering I bought it 2 weeks ago at 45 I am happy. It may run further but I will take 50% returns in 2 weeks any day.

Sold FSLY at a 10% loss. 10% in 3 days is too much. For me.

#5466 82 days ago

I am officially 100% cash in my "day trading fund". I am quite certain that the stock market will be down today (Friday) through the day after the election (11/4). I will jump back in as soon as late day 11/4 TBD. I rode the market down to a 50% loss during COVID, and as of this morning I'm up around 10% for the year, so I'm more than happy.

I have not yet decided what to jump back in on yet, but Rocket is at the top of my list for 11/10 earnings, followed by PINS (I got my 50% rise in 3 weeks), TSLA (depending how far it dumps).

Once again looking for short term, not long term gains.

Good luck everyone!

#5486 82 days ago
    Quoted from Barakawins1:

I think it's best sell off an wait. Once this election is over, depending on who wins, I'll be in or out for a while.
    If Trump is in, I'm gonna go in full force. If not, I'm gonna hold back a while

No matter who wins, there will be panic selling the day after the election. 5 November is the next day the markets could go Green. Buying into the close on the 4th the earliest.

#5515 77 days ago

I am officially 100% cash in my "day trading fund". I am quite certain that the stock market will be down today (Friday) through the day after the election (11/4). I will jump back in as soon as late day 11/4 TBD. I rode the market down to a 50% loss during COVID, and as of this morning I'm up around 10% for the year, so I'm more than happy.
    I have not yet decided what to jump back in on yet, but Rocket is at the top of my list for 11/10 earnings, followed by PINS (I got my 50% rise in 3 weeks), TSLA (depending how far it dumps).
    Once again looking for short term, not long term gains.
    Good luck everyone!

Whelp... Jumped back in. I'm all in on PINS now. I jumped out at 67.50 and back in at 61.30 so I got about a 10% discount on a reinvestment... not bad for a few days out.

Looks like the market is going to the moon today. Good luck everyone!

#5554 72 days ago

My poor pintrest stock...

#5585 70 days ago
    Quoted from Barakawins1:

Anyone sticking with RKT and PLTR?

I was in on Rocket, but bailed on them a few weeks ago after some personal experience trying to work with them. I am looking into/was looking into refinancing my house. I hear lots of advertisements for Rocket. I filled out an application with them. They won't actually give you a quote until you talk to someone on the phone, and when I did get a quote it was substantially higher than competitors. I can get quotes from other people online with no human interaction, and then pursue the rates that are best. I eliminated Rocket within 20 minutes of looking into a refi. The APR difference was substantial. I am already at 2.625 on my house loan so it has to be pretty low for a refi to make sense. Rocket offered 2.375 on a 10 year. I am at about 2.07 to 2.05 with other online companies. I am waiting until I can get an APR under 2% to refinance and Rocket will never give me that. Your mileage may vary, but anyone doing research will likely wind up with a different company. HOWEVER... I cannot speak to those at the lower end of the credit spectrum, which is likely a substantial portion of buyers. I think the people with money are putting it elsewhere, while those on the margin end up with companies like Rocket. The end result is that Rocket will have the riskiest assets, and or be working with companies they sold their mortgages to with the riskiest assets. It may make money in the next year or so but I would not be a long term investor. Anecdotal experience sure, but my 2 cents.

With that said, I am all in on Pintrest at the moment (daytrading fund only). There revenue growth has been substantial. I believe that "woke" culture will substantially hurt Facebook and Twitter... particularly if the current election results in a 2nd Trump term. Yes, Biden is the projected winner, I think the election will drag on for the next month (not trying to argue politics here, just a personal opinion). Facebook and Twitter were already victims of substantial divestment from the "woke" crowd, and Twitter and Facebook both have allowed political advertisements. Pintrest has not. I think that if things get even more political over the next month, Pintrest will see beyond explosive growth. Also... Pintrest still has a long runway to grow both in the USA and internationally. How much growth room is there for Facebook? Even without political controversy, Pintrest is set to grow. How many cutsie holiday make this and make that articles are going up on pintrest this year? With that said, Pintrest has tanked this week with the rotation out of Tech. Hoping for that bounceback today.

My 401k that I have not been day trading with has shot past pre COVID levels.

Anyways... happy daytrading folks!

#5636 68 days ago

Rates are dropping... was just quoted 2% on a 10 year refinance of my house... super close to pulling the trigger. Would be awesome to get the house paid off before paying for kids college.

#5645 67 days ago

Rates are dropping... was just quoted 2% on a 10 year refinance of my house... super close to pulling the trigger. Would be awesome to get the house paid off before paying for kids college.

Quoted from RojerLockless:

Do it, I just refinanced and got 2.7 I'm SUPER happy.

Quoted from Bospins:

Wow.
    What bank did you use?

Just locked in my 2% rate. 2% APR... no points. It is a 10 year note but still. Essentially I will pay off my house 1 year earlier and pay about $15,000 less in interest for $75 a month extra.

1 week later
    #5830 58 days ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Biden loves war, expect this to take off, and M.E. conflicts suddenly escalate.

Veteran and member of mitary industrial complex here. Can confirm. Expect huge surge in... cyber defense spending.

1 week later
    #5955 48 days ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

PINS is $71 new all time high
    Buying more
    Motley Rule Breakers reiterated a BUY now again today

I have been all in on PINS this past month in my day trading account (401k still in sensible mutual funds) and have been very happy. I am coming to learn that it is about impossible to stay abreast of comings and goings on everything, but by selecting a few stocks to read up on and speculate from a more informed position, you tend to do better.

I think that PINS is positioned to do well and continue to grow, particularly in the next 3 months. I think perceived political bias in many of the social networks is shifting people away from them, and towards about the only platform that has stayed out of politics (PINS). The left and right is mad at Facebook and Twitter right now. I also believe with more folks working from home or staying home, the Pinterest arts and crafts angle will do well. They are also getting started in foreign (non-American) markets.

The only thing tempting me right now outside of Pinterest in AIRBNB. I may take some profits from Pins and move some to AIRBNB as I think that one has potential, but I'm still investigating.

In any case, congratulations to TSLA owners.

#6020 42 days ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

I believe the fundementals of AI are valueable, and the CEO/leadership of C3 is recognized and demonstrated as being a fortune builder. While it might wobble from $42 a bit first few days, I believe it is an $80 by end of 2021 or sooner. I won't be worried too much about finding the bottom...

Sold some PINS to raise funds for this and (possibly) AIRBNB. When will it trade on the market?

#6029 42 days ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

I lowered what I am looking to buy on this. Very rich at this level.

Quoted from DBLM:

AI is pricing between 84 and 87. Silly. I have a day order in at 80 but will not chase this. They were. Good buy up until 50 but this is ridiculous. Business is too lumpy at this valuation.

My dumb butt just bought 100 shares at $99 each of AI. I have a sell order in for $109. Too rich for a long term trade but it's volatile as all get go at this exact moment.

#6031 42 days ago

My dumb butt just bought 100 shares at $99 each of AI. I have a sell order in for $109. Too rich for a long term trade but it's volatile as all get go at this exact moment.

Quoted from DBLM:

Congrats! I canceled my day order at 80 because that would have meant this thing dropped 20% and would be going fast in the wrong direction. I will revisit this stock later but I am not as high on this as I am PLTR based upon what I know they are doing in the federal space. Probably fine for a trade now, and maybe a longer term hold in the future at a different valuation.

Whelp... That took about 45 minutes. Easy $1000.

On a side note, DASH is now trading on the exchange... AT $187!

May make another go at it if AI dips under $99.

#6033 42 days ago

Whelp... That took about 45 minutes. Easy $1000.
    On a side note, DASH is now trading on the exchange... AT $187!
    May make another go at it if AI dips under $99.

All public transactions registered today are between 95 and 115. I would think that anyone that got in at the lower end should feel very successful, and even more so as the year progresses. My opinion is AI is not a hotbox 100 person startup with a trick pony and a whiz kid ceo. It is a solid foundation to capitalize on artifical intelligence en masse for corporates. Tom Seibel is a name brand. My thought is I would hold it if I have it...

In on 100 shares at 99$ again. Lets see $109 again!

#6057 41 days ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

AI +$30 today. Where are the traders!
    At least you have a great long term potential if you get stuck on a dip.
    Buy this or Air BNB, you better have the conviction to buy again when it drops.
    I saw the interview of the CEO for Air BNB. I like how he restructured the company and refocused it during Covid.

Bought ai at 99 and sold at 109 yesterday. Bought again at 99 and sold at 119 today. Waiting for abnb to open today. Short term trades.

#6062 41 days ago

Allright. Bought 100 shares af abnb at $146. Let's see where this goes.

And... sold for 145.41. Too rich at the moment to hold

#6092 37 days ago

Bought ai at 99 and sold at 109 yesterday. Bought again at 99 and sold at 119 today. Waiting for abnb to open today. Short term trades.

Let's see if this can happen 3 times. Just bought AI shares at 114... sell order in for 124.4.

#6122 35 days ago

1) Playing swings creates SHORT-TERM capital gain, essentially taxed at your full tax rate like ordinary income. Whereas playing the VALUE game typically puts you in the LONG-TERM gain category, collecting about half of the TAX of SHORT TERM trading.

100% agree, which is why it is critical to do SHORT-TEM trades in a tax advantaged account like an IRA.

#6148 33 days ago
    Quoted from athenspin:

Today and Monday should be interesting for Tesla! Price action will be crazy, I wonder how much of a cool down we will see in the weeks that follow after the run up?

I think TSLA hits its all time high between 3:45 and 3:55 EST today and doesn't hit a number that big again until... 2028. I say it flashes up briefly to $783 per share.

WAY to risky for me at this point. I've dipped my toe in TSLA a few times but at these dollars it makes no sense to me.

It is my understanding that there is literally ~100 billions of dollars that have to go into the stock by S&P matching and mirroring funds by the end of the day. If the market cap is currently $630 billion, that would imply a 16% rise, bringing us to ~ $783.

Bear in mind if I had any confidence in my guess here I'd sell everythign and buy TSLA now, expecting to sell it near the end of the day.

#6156 33 days ago

Let's see if this can happen 3 times. Just bought AI shares at 114... sell order in for 124.4.

Well, it took all week but it popped up 10% to hit 125.4 where I pulled the trigger and sold. I have now sold for a 10%, 20%, and 10% gain in 9 days with a total return of 45% in 10 days. I have to wait until Tuesday before I do anything with that money so as to have settled funds, but so far this strategy is working for me (do your own due dilligance).

#6177 33 days ago
    Quoted from Methos:

What is the best brokerage that gives flexibility in Roth IRA buying/selling? I want to move my little heap of fun $ into a Roth IRA (after I backdoor it) but Fidelity looks like they only allow fund trading. Any suggestions?

I had mine in USAA, but they sold their business to Schwab so now I'm stuck with them. From what I can tell they have all funds up to and including options trading. I havn't touched options, but buying and selling individual stocks is no issue with them.

#6178 33 days ago
    Quoted from Barakawins1:

C3.AI- wow... just wow up to 134.65 as I type this. Wish I held on.

$144.57

#6183 33 days ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Fwiw, starting the Georgia watch and the gambling odds.
    If it starts shifting then THAT is the one issue that could change my “buy and hold” mentality on stocks
    It stays divided with a republican Senate, we have another excellent 3-5 yrs in store
    It goes socialism, then all bets are off the table for me
    At the moment, gambling odds favor Perdue -250 and Loeffler -175. Forget the ridiculous and always wrong polls

https://www.electionbettingodds.com/

68.2% Chance Republicans Take Senate. The Stossel site is great and I've been tracking it for years.

#6204 29 days ago

Well, it took all week but it popped up 10% to hit 125.4 where I pulled the trigger and sold. I have now sold for a 10%, 20%, and 10% gain in 9 days with a total return of 45% in 10 days. I have to wait until Tuesday before I do anything with that money so as to have settled funds, but so far this strategy is working for me (do your own due dilligance).

AI Has been on fire. Bought in at 168.75 in the premarket today. Do your own due dilligence.

#6247 23 days ago

Just successfully executed my first trailing stop. AI at a 20% limit. All and all I ended up about 25%. I may jump back in if it continues to dive as I can see it as a good long term keeper or short term play... but 185 to 145 (as of this second) in less than 24 trading hours.

#6275 22 days ago

I'm looking to do some of my first long term investing outside of tax advantaged accounts (read buy and hold at least a year). Starting off, I am looking at an equal mix of ARKK, ARKG, and ICLN. Does that raise any red flags to anyone?

1 week later
    #6384 14 days ago

What impact do you think protestors storming the capital and getting all the way inside the senate chamber will have on the market? From a non-political stance of course.

Live feed below.

#6411 13 days ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

Stock market is disconnected from the coming reality. Ice any opinions on TZA here?

A word of warning. The most money I ever lost in the stock market was with TZA, back in 2011 or so. Things were looking pretty grim for some reason or another, and I the genius with the seeing stones decided the market was going to tank, and went all in on TZA. The day afterwards the Fed announced operation twist, and the free money tap opened up, pumping up the stock market and killing me. It was a valuable lesson, and I wouldn't touch it. However, if you chose to go for TZA, know that TZA has been going down it's entire existance. When I bought it 10 years ago it's price was about 10 times what it is now. It slowly goes down with brief spikes in price, so if you do go TZA I wouldn't hold onto it for more than a few weeks at most. Additionally, the new administration will do everything in their power to keep markets up short term... up to and including free money.

#6426 12 days ago

Sataneatscheese’s 2021 market predictions and way forward: (Advice worth what you are paying for it).

I am of the opinion that the stock market is going to go up… and up… and up… for all of 2021. I believe that the value of those stocks will rise, and that inflationary pressures will start to rear its head. In other words, the only way not to lose money is to have it in the market, which will cause a cycle where the market continues to collapse upwards. I have transferred all of my available cash into the market minus the 6 month emergency fund, and have passed on refinancing the house for now (already at 2.625 but 1.875 is tempting).

I have the following investment strategy for 2021:

401k: Continue slow and steady dump into sensible mutual funds. Drop money into aggressive growth and growth funds based off of returns and investments available.

Taxable Brokerage: Since profits are taxed and I don’t want to day trade here: I have split my investments into three equal parts for 2021: ICLN, ARKK, and ARKG.
    ICLN:34.03 Clean energy fund ETF. Predicting moves from new administration favorable to this.
    ARKK:141.85 ARK disruptive technology ETF.
    ARKG:104.79 ARK disruptive genomic research ETF.

Tax advantaged accounts where I can day trade:

PINS:72.30 Bulk is currently in Pinterest (PINS). I not only like the stock because of its ticker, but because it has managed to be the only social media giant not to step on toes with politics this year. Both sides are mad at Twitter and Facebook right now, and Pinterest has been growing steadily this year and is starting to break into markets overseas. Additionally, I see more and more small shops popping up there and more customized Ecommerce from home. Expecting a big jump the day after the earnings report in February and will adjust from there.

DNMR:26.75 Bought in at the NSYE IPO at $27 after Christmas and immediately lost my butt, but it has been clawing back the past few days. Currently at $26.50 in pre market. So long as it continues to climb every day I will hold onto it. Will likely dump in favor of next stock of the month. Clean plastics company.

Huge bubbles that I think may be good for a short run but I’m scared of. Once again, I’m not against these and think they will make money this week… but are a ticking time bomb.

1. TSLA:853 I had family make millions off of TSLA this year after losing millions on TSLA this year. As I am writing this TSLA is currently at $850 making Musk the richest man on the planet. I see it continuing to rise until TSLA misses a target, and then falling sharply.

Stocks I’m eying but don’t own and their current prices:

CRWD:222.50. Crowdstrike Cybersecurity firm. These are the guys that checked the DNC server in the 2016 election scandal. I have my suspicion that this is a government intelligence backed firm that is rock solid safe but that is bridging into the realm of unsubstantiated conspiracy theory. They haven’t done TSLA numbers but are up 400% this year. I will probably shift my DNMR investment here once it stops daily gains.

ICE: Whatever ICEMAN suggests I’ll have to look into!

Other general predictions: I think there are a lot of people that made huge best and gambles on the market as it was crashing in February and March 2020 and are holding onto stock until it hits the 1 year mark, and will be ready to dump it after 1 year to avoid the capital gains tax. I know people who have dumped tons of money into REITS that further retreated and plan on doing just that. So… look at the stocks that fell the most in February/March 2020 that still have not recovered to have another dip in February/March 2021, specifically Feberuary 23rd to March 23rd. This would be a good time to short some things, but I'm going to stick to buying stocks for now.

#6433 12 days ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Here is a good recent article on PINS and i agree with the price target of $88, or higher, for 2021.
    https://seekingalpha.com/article/4397701-pinterest-i-called-dip-in-2019-rally-in-2020-and-now-prediction-for-2021
    full disclosure, i still own all 51,255 shares of PINS in my trading account and 452,520 shares for my clients (SEC public disclosure)
    664,336 shares of Apple, #1 holding. Anyone call look it up on SEC.GOV fwiw
    TTD
    V
    MELI
    SE
    AMZN
    TDOC
    PYPL
    SHOP
    Round out top Firm holdings
    I bought API for myself today.
    As for CRWD, the story is just beginning. People don't grasp the TAM of cyber security and CRWD and OKTA are at the peak.

ICE,

Can you clarify what you mean by "As for CRWD, the story is just beginning. People don't grasp the TAM of cyber security and CRWD and OKTA are at the peak.".

When you say that, what is TAM, and when you say CRWD and OKTA are at the peak, do you mean like their peak value or at the leading edge of a growing technology. Thanks for everything you do for pinball... by helping pinheadz get more $$$.

#6617 8 days ago

Bailed on DNMR at a 9% loss. Going in on CRWD when funds clear.

#6730 7 days ago

New ETF ARKX announced bases off of space technologies. Space stocks are surging. SpaceX going to go public?

#6784 5 days ago

BLUF: A specific event on which to short TESLA 5-10%... if you have balls of steel and money to lose.

All right, since this is the Stock Investors thread, I’m going to give my highly speculative theory on what will go up and what will go down… something so speculative I’m not pursuing it myself at this moment as I don’t mess with options. I think TSLA is going to have a sharp decline sometime in the next 3 months, but there will be a major flag that it is about to tank. Now, when I say sharp decline, I don’t mean coming back to earth, but a decline of 5%-10% off of the announcement of supposedly positive news that would occur within 24-72 hours of a specific announcement and event most likely to happen the end of March.

There are a lot more retail investors than usual right now… investors new to day trading playing fast and loose with their trades since the market crashed in March. People a lot like me. These “Robbin Hood” investors, tend to chase gains and jump from “Shiney” to “Shiney”. Right now, the shiniest thing out there is TESLA, and their stock has been going gangbusters this year. I jumped in and out of it a few times this year myself. These investors also tend to be the type that don’t keep “dry powder” for market opportunities… all available cash is invested with no reserves. A lot of the TESLA enthusiasts… most actually, are big fans of Elon Musk. In Elon Musk we trust is an actual phrase I’ve read a few times. I think Elon Musk is going to do something in the next 90 days that is going to draw a lot of money out of TESLA… tons of money to be frank… something I will get to in a second.
    Another person a lot of retail investors have come to put a lot of faith in is Cathy Wood. Cathy wood, is the brains behind the “ARK invest” series of ETF funds. Day before yesterday her company filed to open up a ARKX ETF, a space based technologies ETF. On this news, ALL of the space stocks jumped 15-25% overnight through yesterday on the news. This based solely on the news an ETF was going to open up. As I understand it, the ARKX ETF cannot “go public” until 75 days after filing, which would put the ETF as opening up the end of March.

Now, would the opening of an ARKX ETF fund crash TSLA? Of course not. However, why would Cathy Wood open up a Space based ETF when there are only a few companies even in the commercial space business? I believe Cathy Wood knows something… I believe Cathy Wood believes, or has inside knowledge that SPACEX is going to go public. SPACE-X is Elon Musk’s space transport company. If you think people are blindly throwing money at TSLA, they will blindly throw money at SPACEX too. I have family members better off than me already researching how to get in on the IPO. If the past year has taught me anything, its that speculative stocks, like AI, ABNB, anything trendy, pop right after the IPO. A lot of these stocks IPO’d and then immediately tripled in price once they hit the open market. SPACEX is the trendiest of trendy, the shiniest of shiny, maybe even shinier than TESLA. I believe there are tons of investors, retail and institutional that would do anything to get in on the IPO, or on the first trading day of a SPACEX stock. The people interested in SPACEX would be the EXACT SAME people interested in TESLA. Since my argument is that a disproportionate amount of TSLA investors are retail investors, the exact type without “dry powder for additional purchases” I believe the TSLA stock will be hit by the SPACEX announcement. People will simply sell TESLA stock to buy, or be ready to buy SPACEX.

Now, do I think it’s going to bring TESLA back to earth? No. Do I think the announcement of a SPACEX IPO would cause the TESLA stock to drop in the days leading up to the SPACEX IPO… absolutely.

With all that said 2020 is paved with the graves of investors who shorted TESLA. I just believe that the announcement of a SPACEX IPO will lead to a 5-10% drop in TSLA stock in the 72 hours leading up to that IPO.

#6900 14 hours ago

Bailed on DNMR at a 9% loss. Going in on CRWD when funds clear.

The 40% run up from $24 a share to $34 a share in the 8 days since I sold the stock has shown this was the wrong move. Only adding to show people frustrated by losses that you are not the only one. People tend to brag on successes and hide losses.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 400.00
    Playfields
    Maple Street Sign Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 259.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 21.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Bent Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 28.95
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 18.95
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 7,699.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Pinball Mod Co.
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Other
    YouBentMyWookie
    $ 159.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 24.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    ArcadeArts
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 159.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pinball Pimp
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Other
    YouBentMyWookie
    $ 99.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Other
    YouBentMyWookie
    $ 149.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sataneatscheese.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside