3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,572 posts
  • 293 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by Concretehardt
  • Topic is favorited by 137 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 298 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
    presidents and markets (resized).png
    original_220478745 (resized).jpg
    B58B8C63-632B-4C84-8D9E-3DCBAFA6A9EC (resized).jpeg
    rev (resized).JPG
    fv (resized).JPG
    Div (resized).JPG
    ceo (resized).JPG
    FE874870-5969-4A98-A8AF-11358BAA8925 (resized).jpeg
    838C2329-222F-4241-9CB9-EF384B90A0CD (resized).jpeg
    53CB2ADB-435D-4078-A47A-46C9CFEA4580 (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 10.25.44 AM (resized).png
    50 Day Rally.pdf (PDF preview)
    9A6271CF-3C0A-4D56-8349-16A9F26B2336 (resized).jpeg
    pawnshop (resized).jpg
    CHINA TENSIONS ESCALATE.pdf (PDF preview)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rondogg.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#549 2 years ago

For the last 6 months I've counted my pinball machines in my asset category along with savings/precious metals/savings/stocks/etc.

Does anyone else do this?

2 months later
    #594 2 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Proven fact that no one can "time the market"...no one.
    That being said in hindsight it will "appear" that many people timed the market perfectly...law of averages.

You don't need 7 paragraphs to be correct. Enjoy your upvote, Sir.

6 months later
    #867 1 year ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I haven't posted my transactions in a while...so here is yesterday's actions:
    Purchased 700 Shares of Netflix @ $368
    Sold 7 Netflix Calls @ $14.04 October $415
    Purchased 1,000 Shares of First Solar @ $53.54
    Sold 10 First Solar Calls @ $2.72 September 57.50
    Sold 10 First Solar Puts @ $2.52 September 50
    Sold 791 Shares of Blackstone Group Made 4k (too many small lots to break down)
    Sold 1,000 Shares of Harley bought @ $47.57 sold @ $43.04
    Sold 1,000 Shares of Disney bought @ $101.35 sold @ $111.28
    Covered 5 Amazon Puts sold @ $32.79 bought back @ $4.52

Just curious what makes you so bullish on Netflix?

4 weeks later
    #894 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Depends on how many years to retirement. If 5 or less maybe. I have around 23 years left so going to ride the ups and downs and leave my 401k funds where they are.

Yes, timing the market is for my brokerage account. My retirement account is "time in the market".

2 weeks later
    #926 1 year ago
    Quoted from rai:

I’m learning a lot from your trades.

I like that he posts them when he makes them. Much braver than I'll ever be.

8 months later
    #1144 1 year ago

Any opinions on DISney?

1 month later
    #1181 12 months ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Why I think you need a financial advisor:
    - people are emotional with their money and make stupid decisions.
    - people don’t know how to properly invest and manage risk, thus resulting in stupid decisions.
    Note, this doesn’t apply to everyone.
    Second note, financial advisors are like every other profession....some are good, some are bad.

Troof. In addition, you'd be surprised at how little people know about even the basics of investing. Furthermore, they have no interest in learning about investing other than the fact that they have a 401k/IRA.

8 months later
    #2029 3 months ago

If the market is up tomorrow, may be the last chance to sell everything and buy back into the dip.

#2051 3 months ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Alright, so we're contributing to our kid's tax exempt college accounts. I think that's still a reasonable place to put our money, we're 34 with kids at 6 and 3(2). The plan is to put 6k total towards all 3 kids over the next 3 weeks (has to be in by tax time). I figure as much of an averaging as possible over that time would be of benefit, so we're going to put money in 2x per week. The options are limited, but currently I'm planning to put the money into a "aggressive index" plan, hoping to catch the bulk of the growth on rebound.
    Anything glaringly bad about that plan?

Nope. Perfect plan.

#2088 3 months ago
    Quoted from Kneissl:

I bought some more today.. we'll see.

Same. I can afford to buy all the way down until dow 14,000.

Didn't think it would go down so FAST! 9000 points in 16 business days is insane. At this rate we will be at 14,000 on March 30. WTF!

After 14,000 then we face Depression era struggles that we don't easily come back from...

#2107 3 months ago

AMZN down 23% since Feb 20. Seems like an unfairly beat up company who's about to have christmaslike earnings:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/amazon-to-hire-100-000-warehouse-and-delivery-workers-amid-coronavirus-shutdowns-11584387833

#2132 3 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

This is a confusing statement for me. Losses don't get taxed. A huge tax bill implies huge profits.
    If you are paying taxes then you are profitable, correct?
    And if you are long term you get LT capital gains, correct?

I'm guessing his stock is still profitable but not as much as it used to be.

I'm in the same boat Long Term Capital Gains = 15% for Feds and 13% for (my) State. So a week ago when the Dow was at 25,000 I contemplated selling out everything in my aftertax account but decided not to when I looked at what I was going to face as a tax bill for next year. My plan was to sell out and slowly buy back in as the market inevitably declined. Just didn't make sense ($100k in profit = $28,000 check!). At this point almost all of my long term holdings are frozen until I can move to a better state and drop to a lower income tax bracket.

Made total sense with my Retirement savings which is tax deferred.

#2186 3 months ago
    Quoted from hank35:

Question. Using Microsoft as an example. It appears shares are currently at $139.00. If I order now, before the market opens, will I get $139.00 price or the next price when market opens?
    Thanks

Premarket is an indicator, not the price you will get. You will get whatever the opening trades are.

#2190 3 months ago
    Quoted from loneacer:

Any decent platform will let you trade in the pre and post market as well. So you could get it at the current price ($138.xx) if you use one of those brokers.

Sorry, you are correct. You would need to check to see if your broker allows for premarket trading...

#2217 3 months ago

WalMart up 5.6% today.

#2255 3 months ago
    Quoted from loneacer:

Both of these. When everything is dropping and you’re over leveraged, you sell what you can not what you want to.
    I checked all the silver sites earlier thinking of buying some. All are sold out with months of delays. Silver rounds and bars are selling on eBay with huge premiums. Demand is off the charts from the physical stackers.

I read this and thought, "can't be right, silver is $12.13 an ounce which is down 30% from not too long ago".

Then I checked Gainesville Coins. All products sold out. Holy shit!

#2356 3 months ago

Dow +721 in premarket. Gonna be a rocky day...

#2365 3 months ago

Sold: SDY
    Bought: AMZN

#2389 3 months ago
    Quoted from BradKreisler:

Party for one? Enjoy the lockdown.

Not a party of one. He's been trolling the Corona Virus thread for a while calling everyone idiots for being concerned. Now he is trolling here saying he got out at the right time and doesn't care about the market. He's pretty vile.

#2434 3 months ago
    Quoted from Tomahawkjim:

Cruise ships can go straight to hell! Don't care of they go under.
    The airlines will get a bailout package. Many of the restaurant owners I talked to won't make it two months shutdown. I think alot of restaurants will go under. Support your local Mom and Pop places!

Agreed on cruise ships, those have always been a breeding ground for disease. I don't think they will ever recover to where they were.

As far as comparing this to 07 to 09? Completely different animal. That took two years to reach bottom. We are on less than two weeks of this mess and there is far greater economic/lifestyle disruption, especially globally.

#2437 3 months ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

why would gold matter if the world economy crumbles?

Gold and precious metals are a hedge against runaway inflation and easily accepted as currency.

#2440 3 months ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

I think I can repost this again[quoted image]

Maybe. I'd personally rather be diversified and ready for anything. History is a good teacher.

#2466 3 months ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

A vaccine...which...isn't likely anytime soon. To a lesser extent cures, which seems to be on a possibly shorter timeline.

Anything to reduce/ease the symptoms would alleviate a ton in this crisis.

#2551 3 months ago

Why does the bounce in the market feel like a false flag?

#2552 3 months ago

Why does the bounce in the market feel like a false sense of hope?

#2581 3 months ago
    Quoted from loneacer:

Maybe not since yesterday, but I think it changed yesterday. The Fed came out and said they would buy everything, including things they didn't buy in the financial crisis, in unlimited amounts.

Zero good news for two weeks. Even a little bit of hope is going to make for big swings in a desperate market.

#2652 3 months ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I dumped another chunk of VFIAX today (1/4 of my holdings). I’ll keep selling into rallies because few people are taking our COVID-19 numbers seriously here in the US. The Market has priced in a miracle or 2, and I hope the Market is right. I’d rather miss out on a relief rally than be sitting 50% underwater while I’m stuck in my house.

My play exactly.

#2719 3 months ago
    Quoted from kpg:

I think it's funny the GOP fought the Obama admin back in 2009 regarding the Auto industry bailouts, and Fox News and the GOP trashed Obama's method of using Quantitive Easing stimulus purchasing to stabilize and recover the markets.
    He got tons of flack for adding to the budget deficit by doing so... And here we are today, the exact same strategy being employed by the current admin and supported by the GOP and are patting each other on the back today.
    I'm more independent than anything and just trade based on what's happening today, but I have a great memory and it's interesting to see the 180° flip from the GOP on this. Farmers got a $28B bailout because of the tariff debacle, Boeing gets $17B, etc.
    Not complaining as I agreed with that strategy in 2009 and I know it should work out again. It's just humorous to have witnessed such bashing of Obama doing the same thing, and today they sing praise and congratulate each other for the same thing they opposed.

The role of each Party is to get the other Party out of Power, by any means necessary. In action, they are no different from each other.

#2750 3 months ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

A few days ago, it was through the day

Which do you think we will see first, 29k or 17k?

#2779 3 months ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

question for those much more knowledgeable.
    I think this short surge is going to turn WAY WAY WAY down. My opinion and based on nothing other than my own thoughts on Covid as a whole (i.e. not market stuff) is that we are far from the bottom.
    I have always been a max out the 401k as much as possible and let it ride sort of guy.
    I have Fidelity and as of last week my 401k was -25%, but the bounce back up this week has me at like only -14% on the year.
    Fidelity has a limited number of options (few index, large, mixed, small, international, and 2 bond options)
    I have always had a little mix, slightly heavy on stocks but gradually putting more in a bond option over time.
    I hope/planned to semi-retire in ~10 years so that gives you an idea of timeline. I expect that in the next 10 years we will see new highs in the market also, so I think plenty of time for me personally.
    My question is...
    Do I go move everything to Bonds 100% today to save myself on the continual fall? Then redistribute back to my previously successful mix after it bottoms out in 6-12 months?
    OR
    Do I just continue to "set it and forget it" given that I have 10 years left?
    follow up question >> reading the fine print of a rebalance w Fidelity it says all stock re distributions have the option of waiting 7 days before they allow the rebalance. If I was making this change I would want it done today (I think Monday we see the real cliff and drop start as more major cities get blasted in #s over the weekend) Is this normal? or just shitty fidelity BS?

You may (or may not ) be confusing Auto Rebalancing with rebalancing. If you Rebalance it should take place at the close of market (provided you put it in before market close. If you have "Auto Rebalancing" set up to automatically rebalance your account every quarter or every year then that may be what the "delay' language is for.

For example, some people want their account to maintain a 50% stock, 50% cash balance. They don't want to have to constantly adjust the account so it doesn't become out of whack so they set up an auto rebalance so the system automatically makes the trades based on their specified time period. This is what that language may be referring to.

#2790 3 months ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

thanks
    I am talking about a full rebalance where I move all my current stuff around (dump the index, small, mid, etc... and put it 100% in the bond)
    I would leave my purchase for all future stuff the same to they catch some of the upswing.
    My thought is I would be doing 2 rebalances. First is now, to decrease losses (the bond option is like -3% on the year compared to -25% for most other things). Second would be after I feel market has fully bottomed, to rebalance to a nice mix again and try to maximize the climb back.
    I am very much a set it and forget it. I did the research and basically do a slight rebalance each year or 6 months to move more conservative with funds (as I get closer to predicted retirement).
    Thinking that a rebalance today could easily save me from another 30+% losses (what I expect the overall market to do in the next 6 months), but pretty nervous about that since it is not my area of knowledge.
    My primary investments are reall rental property, which is more scary in the short term (tenants paying???) but my bread and butter in the longer term.

So you're suggesting that Fidelity can take as long as 7 days to process a trade order? I've worked with hundreds of 401k Plans and, unless I'm dealing with some privately held stock I've never heard of that. Your best bet is to call their Call Center and ask specifically about how long it takes to place a trade.

#2792 3 months ago
    Quoted from Richthofen:

THIS IS NOT THE FLU
    Unlike the flu, which has built in immunity and a vaccine, no one has immunity to covid19. Everyone gets it. And it’s more contagious than the flu. So it has the capability to overrun our hospitals as everyone gets sick at once. Not counted in the “death toll” is the amount of people who die from other medical issues like accidents, heart attacks, etc because the hospitals are full and overwhelmed or all the doctors are sick.
    This is a real problem. In NYC hospitals are going to need refrigerated semi trucks for all the bodies. That’s sobering and sad and shouldn’t happen in America.

Ed, I had emergency surgery for a burst appendix in Spring 2018. The hospital was well staffed, efficient and clean. Saved my life, tbh.

I can't imagine what my experience would have been like if it happened today...

There are going to be a lot of deaths having very little to do with the virus.

#2899 3 months ago

Trump moving the goalposts to April 30, how will wall street respond?

#2917 3 months ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Need to revise my bottom spread to 9-11K. Yeah, I'm serious. The Trump gains are smoked now we liquidate the Obama rally.

...not sure why this was moderated. He's talking about 2 very accepted terms for the growth spurts and not blaming anyone.

#2921 3 months ago
    Quoted from loneacer:

Looks like it's opening up about 1% today. Maybe all the doomsayers predicting limit down and 50% more losses are wrong.

You seem to be always ready to second guess people's opinions. What do you think is going to happen?

#2925 3 months ago
    Quoted from loneacer:

I'm not foolish enough to predict the market on a day to day basis. That's just flipping a coin.

This thread has always been a safe place for people to be able to predict short term action in the market without being called out. In fact, most people who call out bad predictions have a prediction that was proved correct. With the current pandemic, the need for fast information about what is going to happen is more important than ever.

A long term view of this is safe and probably correct. There are also people in this thread who are making a lot of money by predicting correctly the market shifts and the companies/investments who can prosper during these dark days. In my estimation there is room for everybody provided we all respect and allow for an open discussion.

#2935 3 months ago

One good thing about Trekkie1978, he makes bold buys/sells and posts it when he makes them.

One not so good thing about Trekkie1978, pretty much everything else...

#2954 3 months ago
    Quoted from loneacer:

When I see people above saying 9-11k on the DOW, I see trolling. I don't want to see the pain that would cause millions of people. That's beyond stock market losses. That's real world poverty and job losses.

I don't see trolling at all. I see someone with a gameplan and a prediction.

#3040 3 months ago

A vaccine isn't expected for over a year. Do people really believe we hit bottom at 18,550?

#3185 3 months ago

Cannot discount the fact that "unlimited quantitative easement" is probably keeping us from Dow <10,000 right now. I see no other way to explain it.

#3188 3 months ago

"This is no free market"

Truer words have never been spoken.

#3233 3 months ago

The entire world is pretty much on lockdown, destroying just about any industry that requires people meeting face to face. Movie Industry, Sports, Hotels, Airlines, Restaurants...all hard stop. People unable to pay rent, mortgages, car payments for the foreseeable future. A massive departure from life as we knew it.

And where is the market? Down just less than 20%.

#3247 3 months ago
    Quoted from kpg:

Everyone can claim they bought on a "dip" then sold on days that were green, yet, no explanation of their incremental buys, cost averages, etc.

Well I Sold into cash at 25,000. I put 10% into the market with every end of day drop of 1000 points. So the day ends at 23,999 I add 10% to the market at 3:59pm. I also only do 10% if it crosses two barriers. At <20,000 I changed that strategy to 1,500 drops. At this point I am 40/60. My next 10% buy in will happen when the market looks like it will close <18,500.

That's my plan anyway. Not super sophisticated but I'm sticking to it. No idea what I'll do when the market zooms over 25,000 but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. In my opinion we are in some kind of psychological euphoria right now and the market still has a ton of downward potential.

I am also looking at 2021 for things to return to normal.

#3272 3 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

He said if he was long he would be nervous. OK, you are not. And he said nothing about knowing where it was going. So why the vitriol ?

Alcohol induced vitriol. He's like a chocoholic, but with alcohol. Nothing to see here...

#3275 3 months ago
    Quoted from Methos:

I disagree. Just because he doesn't have a snowflake mentality doesn't make it cruel in nature. He's just a bit more positive and it's always fun to read.

Be careful who you hitch your wagon to:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/search?s=1&q=iceman+drunk&include_basement=0

#3350 3 months ago

I remember a couple of weeks ago the President said the government "made a lot of money" off the 07/08 stimulus packages.

#3426 87 days ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

Not sure about oil, but I think reality sets in Monday on how devastating this shutdown is going to be for the economy.
    Dow 20K +- 500 by Friday IMHO

Or, the news is really bad and the unemployment numbers skyrocket and we hit Dow 30K +-500 by Friday.
    At this point, who the fuck knows...

#3469 86 days ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Movie theaters are going the way of the horse and carriage.

Vaudville Theatres > Movie Theatres > ??

#3502 85 days ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

I hear there have been very few car sales happening over the last month. Aluminum and steel are likely not in high demand.
    Some of the big business that is floundering:
    Hotels, airlines, buses, trains, taxis, government transportation services, new and used cars, rental cars, gas/fuel, restaurants and bars, movie theaters, bowling alleys and other activity based business, construction, hospitals (profits are from elective surgeries), dentists, veterinarians, physical therapists, professional sports, college sports, large and small retail businesses that do not have a big online presence, home appliance sales, large home improvement such as windows/doors, museums, concerts including music, stand-up comedy and shows, nightclubs, cruise lines, casinos
    I am sure I missed quite a few big ones.

Pinball. Location/tournament pinball is dead. Actually, any hobby that has a face to face component is dead.

#3549 84 days ago

I worried about all that printing of $ during the last recession. I was sure it would result in massive inflation and a depression. Didn't happen. It's funny that the same Party that ripped Obama for that solution is now applying the same solution to this financial mess and giving no credit to where they learned it.

Anyway, I'm still worried about this policy due to the size and scope but not as much as I was 12 years ago.

#3578 83 days ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Yep, GILD up big.

FBT is a Biotech ETF, up 3.5% aftermarket...

#3734 78 days ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Relax. If you invest, or speculate, and you do it for any amount of time, you will have some stories to tell.
    Like the time I went to make an online trade and wanted to buy 10 option contracts. Option symbols used and do usually start with the underling stock symbol followed by some letters indicating the expiration month and the strike price.
    I don't remember the stock. I will use Boeing (BA) as an example. I was on my trading page and typed in BA XXX. I got my fill. The problem was that BA was for different company and the Boeing symbol was actually BO. So, I had to turn right around and sell the wrong options I bought. Of course, I bought at the ask and sold at the bid and the 3 minute mistake cost me a couple of hundred bucks.
    And when you hang out with other traders the best laughter you will hear is from your trader "friends" when you lose on a trade. They will laugh and point fingers and laugh some more. And then tomorrow they will screw up and it is your turn to laugh at them.

...let me tell you about the time I thought Krispy Kreme Donuts were going to be on every street corner...smh

#3764 77 days ago

This market is so manipulated right now it’s a joke!

4.4 million jobs lost last week = Market goes up.

Man, you ain't kidding!

Waiting for "it was already priced in"...

#3789 76 days ago

This market. I could see a 15% drop due to the oil wars. That I could see. Add in the Global Pandemic, the entire world economy stopped virtually overnight with no real solution in sight? Massive layoffs, deaths, businesses destroyed...yeah, a 15% drop overall is ludicrous.

#3865 70 days ago
    Quoted from cdnpinballer:

Tesla’s aren’t cheap cars here since they did away with green incentive programs so who is going to buy them in a depressed economy??
    Maybe it’s because China is somewhat back online and raw materials are cheaper....?

I'm guessing new car sales are down 90% in April. Gas hasn't been this cheap in 30 years. Tesla is way up. Makes sense since it was all apparently "priced in"? Am I finally getting it?

1 week later
    #3960 63 days ago

Me after seeing that Disney had a huge earnings miss, cut their dividend and the stock is up today..[quoted image]

Funniest post I've seen all week!

2 weeks later
    #4133 49 days ago

RIP Social Security when this is all over. Will they move the retirement date to 65? 70? 75?

#4160 48 days ago
    Quoted from edcianci:

Finally i see someone who agrees with me on the math about social security - people always ask me if they should wait as top expects always say you should wait. WRONG - unless you continue to work and make great money - and of course you want to work - the other thing you left out is at the age of 81 you more then likely don't need more money as you will be too frail to do anything.
    thanks ed

I say retire as early as you possibly can. I know a lot of people who retire at 65+ and the health issues start and their quality of life diminishes. I have been planning my whole working life to retire at 55 while I still have time/health to enjoy life. My dedication to investing and being financially prudent will (hopefully) get me there.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 92.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 17.00
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 29.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 17.50
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Loop Combo Pinball
    $ 399.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Top-Notch Target Shields
    $ 18.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    RobTune
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 55.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Arcade Upkeep
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rondogg.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside