IMG_7658 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240226-151719 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240226-151210 (resized).png
IMG_1493 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0470 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5101 Roth conversion advice. Posted by iceman44 (3 years ago)

Post #19981 How To Read US Debt Clock Posted by pinnyheadhead (4 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider replayryan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1893 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballmike217:

Low lows are followed by high highs. Just gotta have the balls to ride it out.

I would be pretty shocked if tomorrow sees a high gain, if any gain at all. Too much downwards momentum right now. Plus it's a Friday.

If you mean long term, I suppose eventually...and if you've ridden the drop this long then you might as well see it through.

#1898 4 years ago

Since I'm now posting in this thread, I guess I should give my short story...

I watched the market for the past year or so, waiting for a significant drop to enter in. Kept thinking a big drop was coming because I thought most stocks were overbought. This year, January, finally decided if you can't beat em, join em, and ride the wave. Decided I would do some day trading with some investment money I had sitting around (I also invest in real estate...also an overbought market IMO) and by "day trading" I don't mean sitting in front of a computer all day, but a few trades a day while doing other things. Did OK for a bit, then did really well at the last Amazon earnings report, then learned some hard lessons, and once the market started to drop I kept learning more lessons about volatility. As they say, much easier to make money (especially any form of day trading) in the stock market when it just goes up, up, up.

I went from being up $4k in a month to about even, and now I'm back in the green by shorting stocks since lately nothing is trending up (not even gold). Strange to be doing the complete opposite now as I compared to when I started, especially when most are losing money. Feels a bit like jumping off a building with others, pushing someone else as they fall, then having a teleport button (my stop loss order) that puts me back in the building with a bag of money. Rinse and repeat with Expedia stock today. My wife and I do have some long term stock investments (IRA, 401k)...I told my wife this was probably "that drop I was waiting for" early on and put the IRA in a Money Market account which seems to have been a good/lucky decision. Speaking of luck, there is no doubt a lot of that when it comes to stock market trading. The rest is research and discipline in my opinion. I've watched countless day trading videos and articles and anyone claiming to know "the answer" about this stuff is full of it if they don't at least acknowledge the luck factor. I don't think it's quite like gambling, but it gets close depending on your trades/strategy. And sure, buying and holding good companies long term is the safest way to make money at this, but for some of us that's just not enough So for those who have wanted to be more involved and hear a first account, I hope this was worth it.

#1932 4 years ago

My guess regarding the conference is a continuation of what we've seen...market spikes up briefly based on hopeful news, then slowly continues back down...

Shorted Disney this morning but it bounced everywhere so I gave up after losing $100. Tried to short RCL but it dropped too fast (seemed an obvious one).

Shorted Expedia a couple hundred more shares at $66.

#1978 4 years ago
Quoted from ReplayRyan:

My guess regarding the conference is a continuation of what we've seen...market spikes up briefly based on hopeful news, then slowly continues back down...

I have to say I did not expect that large of a spike. Although once Trump started putting CEOs of specific companies up to the mic, I figured it was time to buy some of those stocks. Most have peaked and dropped some after close.

Who knows what the weekend and Monday trading holds, but I maintain my prediction that the overall market continues to go down, which leads to more stimulus measures.

#2229 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Fuck. I'm pulling for the market to go down, but not like this.

I have to agree. I've been shorting stocks and the dives this afternoon made me cringe even though I was profiting from it.

#2239 4 years ago

Wow what a ride that was in the last 10 minutes...

#2392 4 years ago
Quoted from PunkPin:

Which would you guys recommend for an individual brokerage account fidelity or vanguard? Or is there a better option out there?
Looking to buy some on my own outside of my account with my broker. Mostly single stocks and maybe some indexes and mutual funds.. dont know enough about puts or any of that yet.

I decided on TD Ameritrade and don't regret it. I daytrade and mostly use the mobile app while I'm doing other things.

Keep in mind for daytrading you need to keep at least $25k in the brokerage account per SEC rules.

1 week later
#2964 3 years ago

Bought 5,000 of BA this morning at $154. Will sell at $120 later this week.

1 month later
#3936 3 years ago

Quite a drop at the end of trading today.

#3959 3 years ago

Another sell-off to end the day. Feels like a lot of pump and dump lately.

1 month later
#4364 3 years ago

You gotta love watching who posts more when the market is up vs when it is down

I've been making trades in different accounts (short term daytrading and long term IRA/401k), shorting stocks like Boeing today (which just had another big drop 10mins ago) but I'm still torn over what to do long-term. Disney, for example...do you buy more now on this dip or wait and see how much lower it goes? If you compare stocks like that to just 5 years ago, it seems like if you factor in virus uncertainty there could be quite a bit more of a drop. Not to mention the election coming up.

Good luck to everyone!

1 month later
#4622 3 years ago

So was today a "buy the dip" or "take the money and run" day?

1 month later
#4833 3 years ago

Me at...
9:30am: Hmm, looks like RKT is starting to turn back up, let me buy another 100 shares...
12:15pm: Ooh, nice dip here to buy a little more AAPL...
12:30pm: Ehh maybe not a dip...
1:30pm: Uh oh...
3:30pm: Maybe I should sell some APPL? Nah, it'll start to come up after hours...
5:30pm: Abandon ship! Time to sell while I'm still ahead.

After hours looks brutal everywhere. Maybe I'm too weak and pessimistic but this looks more like the beginning of a bubble popping rather than a dip or rotation. Apple had a historic loss today...hope I'm wrong but that doesn't sound like something that is followed up by a quick recovery. But hey it's 2020, anything is possible. Good luck all!

#4874 3 years ago
Quoted from BobSacamano:

But people like to trade their stock I guess...

Well, when trading stocks (as this thread was for discussing) I don't think many consider the ethics of the company. It's just numbers. Buy low, sell high, goodbye...

If you're investing for long term, sure, you can consult your inner conscience and factor that in to your decision making. I admit to doing that recently when considering some dividend/income stocks like Altria. But I think if you really dive into the ethics of almost any profitable company these days you can find questionable practices. Businesses that make more money tend to do it by cutting labor costs, buying out competition (and maybe a politician or two), avoiding taxes, etc. Like it or not it's just American capitalism. That's probably not worth further discussion here though, IMO...

Is anyone else buying some high yielding dividend stocks while they're still down? Made some long positions recently in financials like PRU and IVZ, REITs like WPC and CTRE, and some gas/oil distribution like HESM and EPD.

1 month later
#5342 3 years ago

Buying more EPD, STOR, and taking a shot at LUMN (formerly Century Link) for dividend/value picks.

I bought some FB for short-medium term but otherwise avoiding tech, most have gone too high/too fast with many similarities to the dot com tech bubble, IMO.

4 weeks later
#5579 3 years ago

I have a large position of RKT (avg ~$20) and some PLTR (avg ~$12).

I see no reason to dump RKT unless interest rates start hiking back up.

2 months later
#6807 3 years ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

Any safe dividend bets with tons of up left? Canadian Natural Resources, and Atco Look descent.

EPD has already been mentioned, but I bought a chunk of ET last week as I think it has more potential upside from here if they continue to cut down debt. Although the Dakota pipeline is still a question mark.

2 weeks later
#8713 3 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Well that sucks. Maybe I should stick to crypto. Sell something, wait 5 minutes, but it back, wait 5 minutes, sell it again. No restrictions since it settles within minutes and sometimes seconds.
I thought I might be able to get in on what's probably going to be a roller coaster today, but I guess not.

I did daytrading like this over the past year and found it to be very stressful, time consuming, and somewhat addictive as it is basically gambling...my time would have been better spent doing more of the things I enjoy or know how to make money doing. I knew that was the likely outcome but still tried it anyway because I like to learn the hard way sometimes Long term investing and maybe a small mix of swing trading is the best bang for buck/time. I think the current market situation (and past year) is ultimately going to cause a lot of people to learn some hard lessons.

#9039 3 years ago

Don't forget the element of time. Iceman and others here are often talking about buying low and holding for the long term...years, maybe decades. That is how you slowly build wealth. This past year has made a lot of people (myself included at times) think that you can double your money on a stock in a month, week, or even days...that is not normal and is basically a gamble. To be able to avoid those temptations, and to buy something when it is low instead of while it is on the rise (the FOMO) requires discipline. That's what I've been working on, anyway.

My biggest mental hurdle right now is that so many good stocks are up huge from a year ago, still pushing all time highs, so it is hard to determine if you should still be putting money into them at what could be a top. You can't time the market but all you have to do is look at a 1-5yr graph and many have spiked to the point that you have to wonder how fast they could drop, especially if there are Fed/policy changes.

I've been buying things like AMZN, AAPL, MSFT, WMT for the long haul and energy stocks for the short term, with some occasional swing trading in LEN and PHM, BABA, CURI, and PINS.

3 weeks later
#10574 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

so very happy I dumped it at $20.97

I basically did the same. Torturing myself watching it go higher and higher now.

#10702 3 years ago

So, plenty of people are selling. Anybody here care to share what they are buying? Lots of people saying it's a rotation but even many "value" stocks have already been pushed up to crazy levels.

I'll buy back in to PSTH tomorrow.

4 months later
#13872 2 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

DIDI would have been a good buy yesterday. All my stuff is green today for some odd reason. Woohoo

Care to share some of what you have that was green? A lot of red for me today...oil and tech.

Anyone still holding GNOG?

1 year later
#17965 1 year ago

Finally a better than expected CPI print. Perhaps a market bottom is in?

1 month later
#18342 1 year ago

Been buying T-bills as well in a ladder setup. Guaranteed 4.5%. Add to the I-bonds from this year for some safe returns.

Stocks I'm buying more of: PERI, FANG, C, S. All profitable and "cheap" except for S which should become profitable like PANW next year (or bought out).

1 month later
#18613 1 year ago

Not picking sides but kool1 did say that META probably bottomed and was a good value in early Jan. I still couldn't bring myself to buy any of it on principle for that company.

But I'd say sataneatscheese gets stock picker of the year award so far here in 2023 Even with the doubters (and I was one of them). What's your YTD so far on these man?

Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

With my real world money I am down $674 across those stocks. Looking at what I have in them I have about $1000 each in CVNA and OPEN and a few hundred in the others. I still like them, but too many people only talk about their wins so here is the Kimono up.
NLST - 2.38 -30% -$7.20
CVNA - 35.78 -78% -$790
OPEN- 1.17 +45% +$450
AFRM- 88.69 -84% -150.19
COIN- 141.63 -63% -177.97
Across all of my individual stocks I am up about 6% YTD, but still down about 8% YOY.

Quoted from WeirPinball:

What the heck are you doing holding carvana - hoping for a buyout? That stock is a dead man walking...

1 week later
#18724 1 year ago
Quoted from DropGems:

Cpi predictions? I hate these binary event days.

I'm guessing it comes in slightly higher than expected and the market doesn't like it.

I'm adding to ENPH, S, and Google on any significant dips.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 12.95
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus
Toys/Add-ons
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider replayryan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders?tu=replayryan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.