gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
hawks.gif

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5101 Roth conversion advice. Posted by iceman44 (3 years ago)

Post #19981 How To Read US Debt Clock Posted by pinnyheadhead (5 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinlink.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#465 6 years ago

So if I want to start trading stock, will I need a minimum of $25k?

I see that some sites have a $0 minimum, but then I read articles that say I need at least 25k in my account to start trading stock.

Is this true even if I want to just do small trades every so often? Can I not start with $1,000 and just buy and sell $1 stocks (as an example)?

#470 6 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

25k minimum? That is not right. Most sites are like $500 minimum.

For day trading, everything I have read says 25k minimum. So that may be out for me. I was hoping to day trade stocks and start with around $1,000. So is this just not possible?

Quoted from barakandl:

Sign up for something like AllyBank. They have low minimums, cheap, so you can play around.

I went to AllyBank, and this is straight from their webiste:

Day-Trading Disclosure

ALLY INVEST SECURITIES LLC (“Ally Invest”) DOES NOT PROMOTE DAY-TRADING. If a customer engages in day trading, the following rules apply.

Definition

Customers are considered as engaging in Pattern Day Trading if they execute four or more stock or options day-trades within a five-day period in a margin account.

Minimum Account Equity

If you are designated as a Pattern Day Trading customer, you must maintain at least $25,000 in account equity in order to maintain day-trading privileges.

If a call to bring the account equity to the minimum amount is issued for your account and the call is not met promptly.

The account will be restricted to cash until the account equity is brought back to the minimum requirement or at least $25,000.
You will not be allowed to day-trade in your account.
You will not be allowed to open and close positions on the same business day. All opening transactions must be held until at least the following business day to avoid further restriction.
Within these restrictions, you may still trade on margin (if you maintain at least $2,000 in account equity) and utilize buying power.

#477 6 years ago
Quoted from scarybeard:

Don't day trade. You seriously have better odds at a blackjack table. (and it will be more fun to loose money while getting free drinks)
I recommend the podcast 'Invest Talk' with Steve Peasley. Listen to that show for 6 months before doing any trading. You will learn a TON.
I use TD Ameritrade. no minimum as far as I can tell. Fees are low, and the tools are super powerful. Great phone app as well.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out!

2 years later
#1935 4 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

gold, guns and pinball

should be a bumper sticker or a t shirt

1 week later
#2671 4 years ago

Are we headed back up now??

#2682 4 years ago

Will we see Boeing go under 150 again?

#2710 4 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

give it another weekend of 48 hours of nonstop virus news and lets see with the market does on Monday

I hope you are right. Like others have mentioned, I too have been waiting on the right time to dump a bunch of money in and feel like I missed my chance.

#2733 4 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Is anyone who didn't dive back in head first 3 days ago a fool?

That's the way I am feeling right now!

#2746 4 years ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

Went all in on sqqq at close...we will see!

Nice! I admire your balls, sir.

And I hope you're right.

#2821 4 years ago

What was all that "not going to be bullish into the weekend" talk?

So far, I've blown it today.

#2823 4 years ago

Went short on NVDA this morning at $249.

#2943 4 years ago

I suck at this. How is EVERYTHING up right now? Thought we would see another plunge today.

#3014 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Different strokes for different folks. Technicals and historicals suggest that we will have a retracement back down before we put in a floor. That is what I am hoping and counting on.

Hope you're right, but my entire watchlist is green right now.

#3024 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

I think that we go down from here for a little bit and that folks like me that are looking for a lower place to buy in can.

We're in the same boat, brother! I am waiting on the sidelines cash in hand, just give me the signal!

#3094 4 years ago

STKS approaching $1.00

I'm thinking about it.

#3096 4 years ago

Anyone else waiting to jump in on Boeing (BA)? Feels like the timing is almost right.

#3098 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Just curious, why? They have no immediate prospects and for the last 5 years have traded mostly between 2 and a half and 4 bucks. Unless you are going to buy 50-100K of this stock and day trade it this seems like a dog.

I'm more just keeping an eye on it. I added some of the restaurants that were suggested in this thread to my watchlist, STKS being one of them. Just looks like it will get back to 1.50 to me at some point. 50% return isn't too bad. But you're right, you would have to buy a shit load of it for it to be worthwhile.

#3104 4 years ago

I'm thinking of picking up 1k shares of AAL. Anyone want to talk me out of it?

#3109 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Without researching them and in my best Wall Street speak. I like MasterCard. And Visa. People are not going put their credit cards away. And there is the possibility they might even use them more.
Raytheon has a nice chart pattern and is involved with government in defense and drug interdiction. The Prez has amped up the drug interdiction efforts and the military has pretty much given a free hand in how the militaries work to shut down the cocaine out of Columbia and Venezuela.
I know nothing about DG's stock, but where DG locates its stores it seems to me it will be insulated from the fallout.

Hey cottonm4 just curious, any reason you left out American Express? Looks like it's behavior was a bit different today than mastercard and visa that you mentioned, so I'm curious your thoughts on it.

#3112 4 years ago

Well damn guys my watchlist can't get much longer haha! JK I love all the recommendations, keep em coming.

#3115 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

They are more inclined to believe it's just the flu or media hype/fake news

I don't really get this part.

#3226 4 years ago

Shorted NVDA at 269.5

#3258 4 years ago

Well shoot, I bought a little TZA today but had a Dr appointment so I set a trailing stop loss and got bounced out of it while I was at my appointment [quoted image][quoted image]

Yeah that hurts but hey you came out ahead. Could have been worse.

#3260 4 years ago

I saw that too, what the heck? Went from a green day to red real fast.

More red tomorrow?

#3298 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Closed out all my positions - took a small loss on them, but albeit very small due to my entries yesterday when Dow was at its highs but playing it safe.

Dang! Making me nervous kpg! I still hope you were right when you placed those positions and we see a big drop soon. But I’m not so confident after today.

#3442 4 years ago

I know it’s still early but volume seems crazy low today, no?

1 week later
#3673 3 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

I was lazy and didn't do this yet. Very glad I waited.
Just woke up and missed all the chaos, is there somewhere I can go on TDAmeritrade to just buy straight up oil contracts? The last time I asked this the only tip I got was oil stocks, and when I browsed around I couldn't seem to find straight up oil contracts on there.
Thanks in advance for any help

If you're not already, since you have a TDAmeritrade account, download and use Thinkorswim.

#3778 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Bottom line, “follow the fed”

And where is the fed taking us?

#3792 3 years ago

as they will be out of ammunition to stop it.

Will they though? I really don't know.

1 week later
#3929 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

That was pretty sneaky what he did a few weeks back, selling just enough of his airline shares to drop under 10% ownership so he didn't have to disclose future sales. Then he sold it all.

What's that old phrase? Don't hate the player, hate the game.

1 week later
#4025 3 years ago

What's on everyone's watch list this week??

3 weeks later
#4266 3 years ago
Quoted from scooter8416:

Any more suggestions on stocks considered still "in the ditch" to watch?

I was coming here to ask the same thing!

What is left that is still "in the ditch"?

#4298 3 years ago

MAC looks like it's been on a downward trend since forever. But Ice hasn't been wrong yet...

#4324 3 years ago

Thinking of jumping back into Boeing (BA) if it goes below 200. Thoughts?

#4343 3 years ago

I didn't want to feel left out of the MAC party. So I just jumped in at 9.63.

2 months later
#4823 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Looks like reality finally set in for the parabolic names today. Will it be a one day affair? Many of them need a 25% haircut just to get back to overvalued.

Yeah, I'm trying to decide, do I jump in now or wait to see if this down trend continues into tomorrow.

#4849 3 years ago

Still unsure if this is a good time to buy at a discount, or if the market is just correcting itself.

I jumped in a few yesterday and regretting it today. We'll see...

#4881 3 years ago

Who's buying the dip today??

#4887 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Whelp... my dumbass just jumped in on Teslas at 342.66.

Well hey, you're already up!

Yeah, I am re-thinking jumping in on MAC as well. I think a bunch of us jumped in on that one unfortunately. I'm still in it though, maybe it just needs more time...

1 week later
#5039 3 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I usually hold until there is a up swing then go after it . I’m waiting until amazon drops below 3k like 2800 then going all in

Alomst got there today

#5045 3 years ago

I think I'll add some AAPL today below 110

#5048 3 years ago

Do we think this dip will continue next week? Who has a magic 8 ball?

#5092 3 years ago

Thoughts on SVC? It looks like it could be a good long term option.

#5099 3 years ago

If this is another down day, I'll be adding to QQQ, APPL, and CCL. Maybe a few others.

#5176 3 years ago

What are some good "in the ditch" stocks on your watchlist at the moment?

I grabbed APPL yesterday when it went below 110 now I'm rethinking that move.

#5244 3 years ago

Thanks, Gambit!

3 weeks later
#5372 3 years ago

OXY at <10 now. I'm tempted. Anyone else?

1 month later
#5847 3 years ago

This has been a fun run for sure, but honestly hoping for another dip

1 week later
#5940 3 years ago

I was looking at jumping in on SPG but may be a little too late on that one.

What are some other "in the ditch" stocks as Ice calls them that should bounce back when things return to normal? I'm already in on RRGB, AAL, CCL, UAL, MAC, couple others. Seen nice returns on those so far (except for MAC, but it will come).

Any others still out there that it's not too late to look at?

#5942 3 years ago

CRM is down over 10% right now, I may jump on that.

2 weeks later
#6160 3 years ago

No I think that is right actually. Crazy that you sold yesterday, damn.

#6191 3 years ago

Getting a little dip today, so what are we buying? I am getting in on SPG, missed out on this one earlier. Also looking at FRT and SVC. Anyone adding to MAC?

1 week later
#6273 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

TD Ameritrade account

If you have a TD account, definitly download the Thinkorswim app for trading. It is unbelievably good. Tons of tutorial videos on using ToS out there too.

#6313 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

So while everyone is selling off on the last day I bought some small positions in NLY, NET, AI and FVRR
I have to say that buying anything where we currently are feels very painful and wrong. But...that being said, I said the same thing when we were at 27k...so...yolo.

I am thinking of doing the same thing. Looking at DOCU, NET, CRM, FSLY, PINS. Haven't pulled the trigger yet though.

3 weeks later
#7119 3 years ago

I'm getting out of MAC

#7370 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

He sold his massive 10 shares this morning just before the bell at 22.16. Kid made $155 in 12 hours....lol. I've created a monster.

Nice! Now be sure to withhold taxes to teach him about how fun that part is.

#7623 3 years ago

Just picked up NOK and AMC !!!

#7637 3 years ago

sorry, NOK

#7871 3 years ago

I bailed on AMC at 11.31
F it - walked away with $7 grand, no complaints

I bought in at $19...

#7980 3 years ago

Still holding my NOK, NAKD, and AMC!!! I don't think this is over yet. The Robinhooders are pissed, they just need to find a new place to trade. Or maybe RH will open these stocks back up? Either way, it's fun to watch and be a part of it.

#8876 3 years ago

Well the MEME stocks cost me about 5k. Lesson learned. Many lessons learned.

#8889 3 years ago

lol, of course I sell all my MEME stocks and they immediately start ticking back up. We'll see if it lasts

I think I can control the stock market. I buy, it goes down. I sell, it goes up.

#8926 3 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I’m thinking that AMC is a loss at this point with my entry at ~$17. GME maybe, just maybe has a chance to come back up.
Any of you smart guys have any thoughts? I’ll pretend it’s not investment advice and I promise not to listen to or read what you write.

I was in at $19 and got out today. If it goes back up I will be kicking myself, but honestly it feels good to be done with those stocks. Checking it literally every minute was becoming exhausting.

#9147 3 years ago

QCOM is on sale today. Thinking of picking some up.

#9274 3 years ago

QQQ and VOO have been great for me.

#9403 3 years ago
Quoted from Barakawins1:

But the value is at 7 cents right? Or am I reading the value wrong.

That's correct

#9540 3 years ago

This cracked me up
42AF17B7-2891-4744-8C0D-7A2284E04EA7 (resized).png42AF17B7-2891-4744-8C0D-7A2284E04EA7 (resized).png

1 week later
#9999 3 years ago

Buying PLTR and FSLY today.

#10003 3 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

FSLY looks like lots of negative ratings on my Ameritrade profile. Down 9. Good entry point?

Look at how much it moves, I think anything around 80 is good. Just ask yourself if you think it will ever hit 100 again.

#10067 3 years ago

Just got in on ARKK as well. Yeah, I am late to the party, but I don't think it will matter long term.

#10255 3 years ago

well shit, that dip lasted all of about 20 minutes.

#10289 3 years ago

It's kind of annoying. I didn't miss the dip because I was right in front of my computer watching it happen, but I was trying to practice patience as so often my impatience comes around to bite me. But alas, trying to be patient to see if the dip continues ("don't try and catch a falling knife") is what costs me money today. sighhhh

Be patient, don't be patient, I never know what to do it seems sometimes. I guess that's what makes it fun too? It's kind of like the "just one more ball" feeling that you get from certain pinball machines.

#10333 3 years ago

So what is everyone buying today??

#10354 3 years ago

Sold my RRGB (190%) and L (78%) holdings today. They were never long term holds so I am happy with it.

Still holding a few other "in the ditch" stocks like AAL, CCL, UAL but may offload those soon as well.

#10381 3 years ago

TDOC is down to 236 after hours. Lower than expected Q4 earnings.

#10403 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Thoughts on SQ? Good time to buy since everything is down after earnings?

I was wondering about this too. Also saw that Cathie Wood bought a ton of SQ yesterday.

#10407 3 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I don’t think theyre cashing out till April

Why do you say that?

#10411 3 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

That’s when dfv calls expire.

ah gotcha, thought you meant PLTR.

#10428 3 years ago

ARK (Cathie Wood) sold about 880k shares of PINS today.

Also sold AMZN, AAPL, CRM, GOOG, SE

They bought TDOC, SQ, PYPL, TWTR

#10464 3 years ago

I bought more FSLY, TDOC, SQ, NVTA

#10468 3 years ago

So will Monday be red or green??

#10614 3 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

I bought more FSLY, TDOC, SQ, NVTA

Well I thought last week was a good time to buy these. Oops

#10661 3 years ago

Getting absolutely bent over today. Didn't help that I doubled down on most of my tech stocks this morning.

#10664 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

How is it that PINS, which has been the darling, has turned into a pos in such a short amount of time.

All tech stocks are in the same boat right now, not just PINS.

It's frustrating that last week is when I decided to really go all in on tech. Ugh. It will go back up...right??

#10854 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

It didn't. The entire tech sector is down alot in the past 2 weeks, not just PINS, it's almost everything. They will all rebound eventually, but it may take the entire year.

where the F is the bottom for these tech stocks?

1 week later
#11208 3 years ago
Quoted from La4s:

I need a little advice.
I am looking to start doing some trading, but unsure of which platform I should use. I am currently leaning towards TD Ameritrade, or Webull as my platform. I prefer a desktop experience over mobile apps, but will sometimes use my cellphone if needed.
The TDAmeritrade platform appears to have more detailed information, but the interface looks to be a little more complex. Webull is offering 2 free stocks to sign up, and the interface is a little easier to navigate.
I won't be doing a bunch of speculative trading, but would rather look into holding more dividend stocks, and longer term purchasing of individual stocks. I may also do some selling of puts to purchase stocks I would like to hold.

I like TD. And their thinkorswim app for both desktop and mobile is amazing.

#11353 3 years ago

Buying more TDOC

#11382 3 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

I bought 3 ARK funds at exactly the top - they are still 14% down at this point. That is what I hate, a plunge right after you buy

I did too, but I kept buying them on the dips and now I'm back up

#11406 3 years ago

Bought more TDOC

#11467 3 years ago

How quick do you cut your losers? -10%?

#11623 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

This market is not fun. Just holding what I got.

Same here, I have to just look away for now.

#11652 3 years ago

Bought some DOCU, I've been waiting on it to go below 200.

#11659 3 years ago
Quoted from stubborngamer:

That weird moment when you are sitting there with a bunch of free cash, looking at a sea of red, and have no idea what will jump up tomorrow.

or IF it will jump up tomorrow

2 months later
#13208 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

LOL. Hadn't even looked at AMC the last few days...66?? I sold at 20 lol...crazy.

I sold at $7...after buying at $19!! lol

1 month later
#13851 2 years ago

ZIM has been amazing for me. Bought more last week when it dipped below 40 and it was right back up.

Also AGEN

#13900 2 years ago

Z, TDOC, FSLY, and NVTA are absolutely crushing me right now. I never planned to have such a large position in any of those but I have been buying more as it dips for months now.

#13906 2 years ago

been there done that
always difficult to cut losses and run

i don't know if I should do that or buy more

#13908 2 years ago

have to ask yourself why you originally purchased shares

Because I saw them mentioned in this f*%#ing thread! lol . that's what I get, no ones fault but my own.

2 months later
#14861 2 years ago

WTF is happening today?

#14867 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Did i say ENERGY?
I'm talking to myself again, i know. Lol

I believe you also said PINS, FSLY, TDOC, Z etc. and for that reason I am down about 20k at the moment lol. No one's fault but my own, but I would have never gotten into those if it weren't for this thread.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
$ 12.95

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinlink.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders?tu=pinlink and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.