kuiil-have-spoken.gif
200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5101 Roth conversion advice. Posted by iceman44 (3 years ago)

Post #19981 How To Read US Debt Clock Posted by pinnyheadhead (5 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinheadpierre.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3525 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Buying a call spread has more risk to it as you are now purchasing a premium because of the current implied volatility (IV) - selling for a credit would be a better play as you'd be taking advantage of the IV in your favor.
If bullish:
IV is currently low: Buy a call spread for a debit, assuming IV can rise if it starts to move higher so you capture IV increase as an advantage
IV is currently high: Sell a put spread for a credit, capturing IV premium as an advantage
If bearish you do the opposite.
Here is my risk/analysis on the $50/60 spread you did, assuming 10 contracts for example. I know there is more to it as you added another leg or two on it, but you'll get the idea why it was not a favorable position if you were bullish on VXX
Obviously if the market does in fact rally and move over that 23,700 wall convincingly, we both lose though lol
[quoted image]

How do you generate these analyses?

#3741 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

2000 was a terrible year. Absolutely horrid. I was in this stock from Sept 1998 and got out in Sept. 2000. You can see that I had nice ride up. But then I got caught in a terrible crash. I got out. In hind site, I got scared out at $2.00 per share. It is a long story.
[quoted image]
4 years later the stock had not moved much.
[quoted image]
And now that stock chart looks like this:
[quoted image]
The stock was Apple Computer. I bought 400 shares for $41.00 per share. AAPL ran up to $150.00 in early 2000 and then backed off In June 2000, AAPL split 2-for-1. I now had 800 shares trading for around $60.00 share. AAPL bounced around all summer from between $55 and $75 per share.
On Sept. ?? 2000, after the market closed, Apple warned. AAPL had closed around $55.00 per share. At the time, my broker did not allow after hours trades. All I could do is watch as I as being sliced and diced. First trade in AH was $38.00 per share. 37,36, 34, 32, 29, 28, etc. I got out the next morning at $22.00 per share. And never went back and that is another long story.
Apple/AAPL went on to split 2 more times. There was another 2-for-1 which would have left me with 1600 shares. And then there was the 7-for-1 split. That would have given me 11,200 shares.
At today's closing price, my 400 shares would have been worth $3,000,000 and change. AAPL's quarterly dividend is now .77 per quarter, or $3.08 per year. My dividend income would have been $35,000.00 annually.
Do I kick myself? Do I 2nd guess myself? For many years I did not. It was trade/an investment. You take your lumps and move on. But when AAPL started climbing in 2005-2006, I did get a little teary eyed. The dividend brought another tear to two.
With those dividends and my social security, I would be making as much as I was when I was working.
Oh, yeah, I paid $41.00 per share. After all the splits my cost basis in AAPL would have been $1.46 per share.
It was a 50 bagger, at least, and I threw it away.

4 months later
#4839 3 years ago

If there’s a sell off leading into November it won’t necessarily be “orchestrated” or a statement about who might win or lose the election, but a concern about a potentially unclear outcome. Not having a clear decision or controversy about the outcome in either direction is probably Wall Street’s biggest concern right now.

1 week later
#4952 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

You really do or you are kidding?
Only people on I ever met on the planet that own one is you and my brother.

Not sure where you live but I can’t remember the last time I went out and didn’t see multiple people wearing them without specifically looking for them. Also, they’re a great product.

#4955 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Huh... guess Im an old fart. Where i live I have not seen a single apple watch (not looking for them either so that may be why) but I will admit its an older area.
I cant imagine carrying around a phone all day and wearing a watch that basically connects to my phone and does the same stuff??
thats so meta.. ugh the kids today.
More power to em.. lets get appl up to 200.

For me it’s more about not looking at my damn phone as much. Watch = less screen rabbit holes. I also like that it’ll call 911 if I take a bad fall off a ladder, etc. and don’t respond. This is an especially good feature for older active folks.

3 months later
#6488 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Still developing...breaking news.
Boeing 737-500 from Indonesia has gone missing 45 minutes into flight.
This cant be good for Boeing and about 20 related stocks this week.

But a really old plane right? 26 years old or thereabouts from what I remember reading?

#6693 3 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I knew Wikipedia was propagandized, but didn't know to this extent.
I was going to make a flippant comment on Joe's ability to maneuver within Ukraine, but I"ll skip it.

And you dispute what about that wiki page exactly? Please explain with verifiable facts.

#6714 3 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Sure. Hit me up on IM and we can chat.

Nah - it’s on you. I don’t give effort to following up vague and baseless but damaging comments which seem aimed at contributing to division. If you have something to say that you can back up with facts, say it. I don’t think you’ll get sanctioned for stating facts in the thread. (Vs Political opinions which will.) It’s often not possible to discuss economics without factual analysis of government policy.

1 week later
#7048 3 years ago

I took a peek at that Reddit group. Maybe I’m not reading the correct stuff since I’ve never used Reddit but what I read was mostly a bunch of disorganized, foul mouthed garbage. No thanks. Doing fine without that.

1 month later
#10824 3 years ago

Anybody else warming up the truck for a trip to the Apple store?

4 months later
#14161 2 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

I'm buying today: SAM, LVS, PCG, BLL, ABNB, UBER
UBER and SAM are new. The others are ones I'm buying more of.
I also bought K and ULTA, both new for me.

What’s your thesis for buying PCG?

5 months later
#15798 2 years ago

Haven’t checked in with this thread for awhile. Quite the impressive cat fight. (Why do I always imagine iceman44 is yelling, even when he’s not blatantly arguing??)

I get it that politics influences the market - duh. What I don’t get is how fully some folks like Ice swallow a partisan pill so fully without choking. So much nonsense. Each political party has its own b.s. I just gotta point out that someone as red as Ice probably shouldn’t attack Biden for “mishandling” Covid. Has Biden done a great job changing the trajectory of Covid? You could make lots of arguments in both directions there. Ultimately, there’s too much viral momentum and genuine social division to effect much change in the pandemic with political tools. At least he hasn’t denied that Covid is real, pretended that it was a politically motivated “hoax”, recommended injecting bleach, discouraged wearing masks, flip flopped on vaccines, etc. WTF!?! The time to handle this was two years ago BEFORE the virus fully entrenched itself throughout our society.

Those of us with money can almost always make more than plenty of money. In unusual times when that’s not feasible, there’s plenty of cash in reserve. When you cross a certain cash threshold, it becomes a fairly simple self-sustaining growth engine. It’s nothing worth swinging your dick around about. No need for the political or economic landscape to conform to your personal preferences in order to be more than financially comfortable. Red or blue in any given office, there’s money to be made in the market somewhere.

#15886 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The only thing climate change has to do with “Beef” is the Energy part. You are joking right?

You’re right - can’t flip a switch overnight on beef, but NicoVolta isn’t joking.

https://www.ucdavis.edu/food/news/making-cattle-more-sustainable

https://www.scientificamerican.com/slideshow/the-greenhouse-hamburger/

Tried to find a couple simple examples from non-political sources.

#15896 2 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

How long you been vegan? You know who's jazzed about making impossible burgers and other plant based meat products? The meat industry! It's way cheaper to manufacturer lab burger paste than to raise cattle.

Did anyone say that were vegan? What’s that got to do with anything anyway??

1 week later
#15940 2 years ago

Crypto - I don’t know enough to know what to think of this article, but it’s a very disturbing thesis.

https://jacobinmag.com/2022/01/cryptocurrency-scam-blockchain-bitcoin-economy-decentralization

#15967 2 years ago

Used a pile of cash for a VERY short term (less than three hours) bet on SQQQ this morning (as well as last Friday). Did very well for those stressful little windows. I hate day trades, continuously updating price bracket alerts so I don’t get caught with my pants down, but sometimes a crash is an opportunity if you’re nimble and can stomach some stress.

2 months later
#16404 2 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Tip: If you’d like to use inflation to your advantage and lock up a maximum $10,000 (or $20,000 for couples) for a guaranteed 6.5% APR over 11 months (sell April 1, 2023)… then visit treasurydirect.gov to load up on I-bonds before the end of April.
Another bonus: Free from state income tax.
Extra bonus: If you hold them until July 1, 2023… you’ll earn 7.2% APR for those 14 months.
(note these figures should have the 3-month interest penalty already factored in, so this is pretty much the actual amount you will earn)

My understanding is that if you have a trust set up, you can also open an entity account for the trust and load up on an additional 10k.

3 months later
#17155 1 year ago

50+ posts to read? What did I miss? Oh…the bluster bomber decided to check in again

1 year later
#20176 4 months ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

That’s in May 2024, Every 4 years the mining reward gets decreased by 50%
Usually a big rally comes little after the halving but every cycle is alittle different though not too much.
[quoted image]

I don’t understand what you’re saying. Could you elaborate on that concept?

2 months later
#20604 50 days ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Apple down +2% today and nearly 8% for last 3 (and 6) months. Is this the buying dip?
Also curious about GOOG, which doesn’t seem to be riding the same train the other big tech companies are.

My hunch is that Apple’s best days are behind them. The cult fever that used to result in people lining up for the newest iPhone is done. They aren’t bringing new widely desirable products to market. The watch is a flawed product with bugs that they cannot or will not fix (not to mention the successful heart monitor lawsuit). There have not been any notable innovations for the iPhone in quite some time. They just scrapped the car project. They don’t seem to be much of a player in the AI race. I could go on. I sold all of my APPL back around 189 (with an hefty gain over the past few years) and put it into NVDA and MSFT for now.

If APPL comes up with something truly compelling I’ll wade back in, but until then I’ll be content to capture with an index.

1 month later
#21006 21 hours ago

It seems to me that Tesla might be in real trouble due to the successful onslaught of affordable ev competition coming out of China. Couple that with the possibility that early adopter market share in the U.S. might be mostly tapped out/bought in and they might have a real problem. Tesla fanboys already have one. If they can’t reach a the larger, non-luxury, sub 30k market segment, I have a hard time seeing how vehicle sales numbers grow in the face of increasing global competition.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinheadpierre.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders?tu=pinheadpierre and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.