IMG_7658 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240226-151719 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240226-151210 (resized).png
IMG_1493 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0470 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5101 Roth conversion advice. Posted by iceman44 (3 years ago)

Post #19981 How To Read US Debt Clock Posted by pinnyheadhead (4 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pdxmonkey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3566 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

In additional news, stimulus funding for small businesses is already out of money. Anyone get in on that? I'm betting we don't see any sort of list that shows where that money went.
Also, why exactly are retired people on SS getting stimulus checks? They aren't out any more money than usual, and they have to pay it back at the end of the year anyway. Doesn't make sense to me.

Probably cause they’ve been burden by this too.

1 month later
#4112 3 years ago

Biggest percent movers today were:

Spirit airlines up 24%
Avis up 24%
Trip advisor up 21%
Eldorado resorts up 20%
Moderna up 20%
Hertz up 19%
Six Flags up 19%
Norwegian Cruises up 18%

3 months later
#4950 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Appl will be interesting since all I have heard over the last few months is no one cares about hardware and the phone cycle anymore.... the iphone cycle is a thing of the past blah blah. Its all about services and the app store etc etc etc
That being said the stock always seems to be looking for any excuse to run up so why not 4G?
Its as good a reason as anything else in bizarro world.

I’m upgrading my Iwatch next week with the new one. I see tremendous growth in that product.

2 months later
#5633 3 years ago

Fun look at the dirty side of cruises even pre corona.

1 month later
#6418 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

On another note, Coinbase is going public
Buy?

Coinbase sucks
Site goes down daily, especially during big up or down swings.
They are really user friendly and have a huge clientele so big pluses there but have too many major flaws for me to be interested.

2 weeks later
#7034 3 years ago

#7072 3 years ago

Too close not to share

Last round comeback

1EAD6D5A-817E-46BC-AC43-4DCB25A768ED (resized).png1EAD6D5A-817E-46BC-AC43-4DCB25A768ED (resized).png
#7093 3 years ago

Could be a big week

01996338-8AAF-401B-9B3B-79D8A505CB37 (resized).png01996338-8AAF-401B-9B3B-79D8A505CB37 (resized).png
#7686 3 years ago

The new one has a ton of bots posting.
Just fyi

#7826 3 years ago

I’m shut out on other services too

#7979 3 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Has anybody used cash app to buy stocks? A work associate just bought more amc there but I’m not sure how reliable it is

It’s owned by Square, I prefer it to PayPal. Haven’t really used it for stocks.
Just tried it, timed out for me.

#8591 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

There are many reasons Stripe is likely the target.
Look at the PSTH management team, namely the recent addition of Jackie Reses. Jackie ran Square Capital and recently resigned from Square, and then was put on the board for PSTH. Her Twitter bio changed recently and now reads "FinTech investor".
Stripe recently launched Stripe Treasury, a product that will disrupt banks and compete head to head with Square. In fact, Stripe is already better off and growing faster than Square.
Big institutions with FinTech and payment connections have recently invested hundreds of millions into PSTH
Ackman stated he wants a private, family-owned "Mature unicorn". Stripe was founded by the Collision brothers.
PSTH has Lisa Gersh on the board, once again... financial and e-commerce ties
Seth Klarman (Baupost), Wells Fargo (first time they have invested in a SPAC pre-announcement), Guggenheim, and major institutional buyers as per the latest 13-F (Ice, read up on this)
Michael Ovitz is also on the board, and his VC fund Broad Beach Ventures has been big into financial and tech business investments..
And did you know, he's also a senior advisor to PLTR?
Full circle
Ice, you'll be buying PSTH once you take the time to really dig into it.

Oh my, starting to look like KPG nailed it.
Either way probably find out soon.

#8668 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Paypal for crypto! Super easy buy and sell 24 hours a day.

I disagree with PayPal

It really handicaps what you can do with Bitcoin.
Cashapp is pretty good.
Coinbase is okay.

Both require kyc.

#8812 3 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

I'm watching GRWG as a longshot play.

I like that one
IIPR too, a cannabis REIT.

#8888 3 years ago

Mark Cuban doing a AMA on Reddit.

I’m holding GME.

#8928 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:Mark is for the little guy and retail investor. Wallstreet is not on the side of the retail investor. Why should they be? They make money along with the big guy not the retail investor.
As I have said before RH screwed EVERY investor that held any of the stocks they restricted (as did any other broker that installed limitations in trading on select stocks). RH is liable for the mess they created and manipulated the stock because of their actions.
I do not believe RH will be held responsible in the end sadly but something needs to be done to fix this.

RH will lose a class action lawsuit (imo) and everyone will get $6.00

#9014 3 years ago

You can lose a battle but win a war.

Those shorts are still out there.

#9045 3 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

Is there a way to search a thread got just one poster like iceman?

Click the silhouette icon at top of post between post number and time of person you’d like to see.

#9183 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Holy hell... figure i'd drop in, and over 2K comments since my last visit in a couple weeks.. wow!
Where's my fellow PSTH investors at?

2/18 or sooner?

#9351 3 years ago

The keys
Yes usually the exchange holds your keys but not all the time. Most the major exchanges keep them.
Hardware wallets owner gets keys.

You can buy fractions like right now
1 dollar is 0.000026 bitcoins or 2,600 satoshi
(1 Bitcoin = 10 million satoshi, satoshi is smallest unit of Bitcoin)

Quoted from Deaconblooze:

So what does it actually mean to buy into part of a coin? Is it sold on contract like forex futures, or is someone obtaining the underlying asset? (Doesn't someone need to hold a password for that? Is that the brokerage?)

I doubt Bitcoin will get banned or taxed 50%. Too many politicians use Bitcoin.
It will likely get taxed like stocks, short or long term gains. All the major exchanges report to the IRS anyway.

Edit Visa is about to enter the space too, Square is already there for awhile. I doubt these companies would invest in a wild gamble.

#9354 3 years ago

How much money will the US print in the month of May? I don’t think they even know. I can tell you exactly how many bitcoins will be mined in that time.

The big benefits are that it can’t be diluted. No extra Bitcoin can be made just 21 million. While some are still to be mined none can be added.

It probably won’t be Bitcoin to be the universal currency. But crypto is likely here to stay. What will replace Bitcoin anyone’s guess, ADA looks promising but too difficult to use atm for general public.

That Sawyer video posted above is really good. Worth a watch, noted two three years ago he hated Bitcoin.

I’m not against regulation, I pay taxes on all crypto gains. Which is a PIA btw. I like a lot of European nations tax structures on crypto...tempting to move there or another country with better regulations.

Quoted from Zablon:

But isn't that the whole point? Once all these people get into it and it is being tracked, all of the awesome benefits are now gone, and you are back to the rich hold the most and the latecomers have pennies. A universal currency I could see, but that isn't really the push behind digital currency. This is just ending up more of the same.

#9367 3 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:BTC reminds me of beanie babies, we all know how that story ended.

Yeah I remember when major corporations were investing billions in beanie babies.

MSTR has been a great stock lately.

#9388 3 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

To all the people posting informative STOCK MARKET information, let me know when you start the new stocks only thread. Thank you for all the great information you (you all know who you are) post. For those of you that post about crypto, I get it, but it’s a different animal. Please don’t post it here. It would be like me posting about other random means of making money outside of the stock market.

Sorry, I get it, will refrain in the future.

#9765 3 years ago

You could go shrooms.
Mind Med MMENDF. Big upside.

Quoted from robertmee:

Bought a little HITIF penny stock today. Another weed stock, but this one is trading OTC and there's talk of it being listed. They submitted their Nasdaq application Jan 25th. This will be a longer play than HCMC, but after selling SNDL, I need some pot...lol. Everything else is too overpriced right now. If it makes it on the major exchange, it will likely jump to $3 or $4. Then all the RH/WSB crew will jump on board, pump it another few $, then exit time.
Edit to add: Short positions on this stock have dramatically dropped also. Another good sign, I believe.
As always no financial advice, do your own DD!

#9787 3 years ago

Looks like it

Big money AH

#9829 3 years ago

2 for 9 is good.

#9847 3 years ago

Always the European market.

#10081 3 years ago

Deepfuckingvalue doubles his GameStop shares Friday before close.

#10213 3 years ago

Why are you still using Robinhood?
That’s the real joke here.

#10359 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

PSTH2 filed so....deal soon for PSTH?

My March calls really hope so

#10406 3 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

So what’s the deal with PLTR? Any reason it’s just slowly going down?
Hopefully all those gme bag holders can cash out now and switch to PLTR.

I don’t think theyre cashing out till April

#10409 3 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Why do you say that?

That’s when dfv calls expire.

1 week later
#10779 3 years ago

That’s like saying Apple is a computer company.

#10829 3 years ago

Placed a put on DoorDash since their lockup ends tomorrow.

#10880 3 years ago

Personally as a stock holder I’m more excited for the glasses then the car.

2 weeks later
#11812 2 years ago

ArkX what’s the launch estimate?

#11813 2 years ago
9183DE07-0FD8-4B40-9357-A7A66D7E9FA7.png9183DE07-0FD8-4B40-9357-A7A66D7E9FA7.png
2 weeks later
#12114 2 years ago
Quoted from barakawins:

Off Topic - Doge Coin
I was thinking of pumping this up a bit. Can you buy this through coin base? Also, is it easy to sell? What's the up/down side to this?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cryptocurrency-and-decentralized-finance-defi/page/22#post-6227502

Stock people don’t like to talk about crypto.
Try your question on the thread up top

#12236 2 years ago

sell, got out of all spacs a while back, there was way too much hype
My worst mistakes have always been holding on to loosers for too long and avg. down to many times
always set a $ or % stop loss when you buy a stock and stick to it, unless the changing story dictates an adjustment

Guh, I feel this on PSTH...
Maybe I just need another rap video.

#12381 2 years ago
EF21B9AE-F6B1-47A7-BF30-BD558F167677 (resized).jpegEF21B9AE-F6B1-47A7-BF30-BD558F167677 (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#13053 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Any reaso

Not a bad idea. The inflation hit is in the post for sure. it's just this market is trying to wring out every ounce of upside before it goes negative...we're slowly getting there though. I sold a ton of stuff about 50%. I'm holding on to BA, GE, XOM, LVS, MSFT and WFC...that's it. Not enough diversity, I know but the pullback is temporary before resuming the upward trend.

Short sellers are forced to pay out...

1 week later
#13179 2 years ago

Holy shit AMC

#13237 2 years ago

Psth = Universal Music Group?

Down 11% after hours

1 week later
#13356 2 years ago

Now I only take stock advice from sock puppets.

2BAB377B-E638-49E4-8FF6-89DD2993E1F4 (resized).png2BAB377B-E638-49E4-8FF6-89DD2993E1F4 (resized).png
#13454 2 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Yes. Then comes the US Digicoin. Everyone has known for years the US and Europe will not allow any source of Trade to flourish without their control.
Seriously, they are going to shut alternative currencies down, they have to.
The Official Coin will replace it.

Good luck

#13463 2 years ago

Oregon gets over 100million a year from legalized pot. That’s just Oregon.

#13468 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Not sure how great legal drugs are for Portland, they’re out of control up there.

Okay if you believe that…

Colorado brought in 387mil in 2020.

2 weeks later
#13766 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Eying DIDI... wondering when it will bottom ought. May buy a little when I think its hit bottom.

Confucius say
Dead cab bounce?

1 week later
#13989 2 years ago
Quoted from RTR:Anyone here still in on PSTH? Saw a few posts a while back.

Looks like the UMG deal fell apart.
Hits just keep coming.

1 week later
#14276 2 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I was thinking less about percentage and more about actual dollar amount.

That’s like comparing scores of AFM and WOZ

#14285 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The fun part here is hanging out with the guys I like and bouncing ideas. That’s why I’m here. The bad part is hanging out with guys I don’t like and putting up with their BS although most are blocked. Don’t like me or what I have to say, it’s called the IGNORE button. Works well
Might start up a little private Message group on Fakebook or some other site if there is any interest when I get back
Talk tax planning, estate planning, stocks, and pinball
Wheels up in 30! I’ll be throwing down soon. Have a great weekend, even you haters.

Random feedback…
Discord or Telegram apps work well for organizing groups like this.
I prefer Discord as it has more options but is alittle more complex.

#14335 2 years ago

Surprised they bought so much Robinhood.

I’m interested in Bkrp anyone following that one?

#14366 2 years ago

Discord is great.

3 weeks later
#14665 2 years ago

SPRT!
Thanks Reddit

1 week later
#14720 2 years ago

Not stock related but my favorite new beverage is Pricklee cactus water. Stuff is phenomenal and lower calorie than coconut water.

2 weeks later
#14751 2 years ago

I’m missing the Zevia play…
My friend works at Fred Meyer (Kroger) says zevia isn’t a large seller at all. He says Spindrift is a better product in that space because it doesn’t contain stevia

#14774 2 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

I didn't "ignore them"... I haven't read that far yet. But what if an investor had taken that advice to heart and wasn't committed to following Pinside from that day forward? Everyone is right if given enough time and if the market takes a turn for the better.

Sing what? This was a copy and paste of an earlier post, extrapolated to today. As you said, might be fun to see percentage wins and losses to date.

LOL no kidding. I heard one financial analyst who was an impatient investor make this quip around 2010, "The best advice I could give to my friends is to look at what I do, and do the exact opposite."

That’s super silly, markets change everyday.

#14808 2 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Agree. Not worried. The September slump will work its way through. My portfolio horizon is measured in years anyway, so fall another 10-20% for all I care.
It’s all paper gains until you cash out. Enjoy your life in the meantime, aye?
MrBally’s BROS pick is strongly resisting the tide today. He mentioned seeing “Chick-Fil-A” crowds at their walkup and drive-through locations… and that’s the kind of investment choices I like to hear about. Basically things an ordinary person can see, understand, buy, and get behind.
I don’t have any Dutch Bros. in my area so I have no idea how popular or tasty their product is. But sometimes seeing is believing!
(cuts both ways of course… we saw Krispy Kreme make an observable meteoric rise in the early 2000’s but eventually boiled over unlike Starbucks which has done extremely well over the years)

Have a bunch here…most are very crowded. One by the mall has a super long line all the time. Usually younger ppl both working and buying. Very loyal fan base. They specialize in very sweet expensive coffee drinks. Personally I never go but I’m a simple black coffee drinker.

1 week later
#14889 2 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Aerospace and electronics are the primary practical drivers of gold consumption. But yes, people love their shiny things... that is... if they aren't starving or fighting off The Humongous like Road Warrior style trying to steal your chickens and fuel and people.
Fact is, we are all highly interdependent upon one another for millions of things and reasons. If all of the economic links connecting us somehow miraculously shatter all at the same time, we're pretty much screwed no matter how much of whatever miracle hedge product we've socked away.

Electronics and aerospace only composes less than 10% of mined golds usage. The majority is jewelry and investment.

#14919 2 years ago

Boomer rocks, get your boomer rocks!

#14935 2 years ago

My biggest stock loss by far this year was PSTH.
Where’s KPG been?

3 weeks later
#15177 2 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Thank you for that detailed explanation! Picked up a few K worth.
My Pinside portfolio is now:
-SNOW
-BROS
-LCID
-DVN

Regret not doing options on BROS.

#15240 2 years ago

Facebook is going to act as portal onto Sandbox, Decentraland, etc.

I hate FB and don’t have an account there, but I see big future for metaverse, think ready player one.

Everyone I know hates that we live in 1984 but no one throws away their tv. Metaverse is coming.

#15291 2 years ago

Speaking of metaverse
Here’s the currency linked to the biggest existing metaverse, as you can guess when FB announcement was.

712D33A8-0DFC-4817-831B-48F5179D13A7 (resized).png712D33A8-0DFC-4817-831B-48F5179D13A7 (resized).png
#15303 2 years ago

My Marathon long calls are up big.

#15324 2 years ago

That was quick

1 week later
#15421 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I've been thinking how we can become the early investors in the Metaverse....I guess I'm getting too old to be on the cutting edge of tech but anyone know how we can capitalize on the Metaverse frenzy? I looked at the crypto but realized the currency doesn't matter...I can only think FB and some hardware companies....it's really hard to project in the future when it comes to this thing. I really think were at the ground level of this thing and we have a real opportunity to buy something in the IPO stage....the problem is what do we buy?

Metaverse is going to be huge, and I predict it’ll be here sooner than people expect.
Why do you think the currency doesn’t matter? Is it because cross chaining and bridging will make it universal in the future? My metaverse play at the moment is the currencies Sandbox and Enjin. I have no Facebook and don’t want to buy any, I do have some Roblox but would love to find something early as well.

#15424 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Exactly....all currencies will be welcomed

Thanks for the reply. While that is true, the risk reward of picking early companies is good enough for me to risk it on Sandbox and Enjin.

#15426 2 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Investing in metaverse-things today is a bit like picking "who will be the internet" in 1996. Wasn't possible then.
It wasn't Netscape or Lycos or Altavista or TheGlobe or Webvan or Pets or Give or many other ambitious startups. Meanwhile, many existing titans were correspondingly taken down in the process of failing to adapt (ToysRUs, Circuit City, etc). Yet somehow all of those existing concepts and sales channels never went away once Google, Facebook, and Amazon comprised 95% of the momentum.
Today it seems like we have little choice but to take a shotgun approach and seed multiple upstarts in the hope that one of them will hit it big.
I would expect Microsoft, Google, Facebook, or some other existing enterprise might have a better than average shot of capturing the metaverse momentum since they depend upon making nimble technological pivots. Like when Microsoft pirouetted perfectly in time with IE 3.0 and leapt into a world which, had they stuck to enterprise and desktops alone, might be only a niche enterprise player today.
Also keep in mind the interface of the internet was PROFOUNDLY altered with the advent of the smartphone and particularly the iPhone. Seriously, keep that in mind. Before the smartphone we were still Internet v1.0 until the interface was upgraded. Businesses like Uber, DoorDash, etc. wouldn't even have been possible nor would Facebook, Snap, TikTok had an opportunity to gain the explosive growth they did. Not to mention our society becoming so highly image focused with a camera now in every pocket.
So... we are still awaiting our i-Vision glasses to give the metaverse the heads-up display it needs to truly explode. Google Glasses and the Snapchat Spectacles have thus far come the closest to a wearable everyday interface vs. "portable worlds" like the Oculus Quest 2. Surely, we are headed toward a fusion somewhere between the two... something light, wearable, and blends into our everyday life which can be commanded with hand gestures and voice.
Right now I play Walkabout Mini Golf with friends at least twice a week via my Oculus Quest 2. Every time I play it, I am still awed by its "simple yet extraordinary" next-level experience which feels exactly like the exciting early stages of other paradigm shifts (Commodore 64, desktop PC, smartphone, etc).
It'll be big. Real big. But the interface will be the rocket fuel... and we don't have it yet. Whatever it is, it will largely replace our phones. That will be the tipping point. Watch for the players who might nudge us there. As well as new businesses which could leverage the format in a way phones cannot.
Regarding crypto... I have zero interest in it until I can buy a loaf of bread from the grocery store. We have to remember the metaverse is still the provenance of the privileged driven by billions in R&D. Kind of like owning a briefcase cell phone in 1987.

You can use crypto to buy anything from a vendor that takes Visa already. No bank accounted needed.

1 week later
#15538 2 years ago
03695E83-935E-4645-A5B5-3E26E2D096CA (resized).jpeg03695E83-935E-4645-A5B5-3E26E2D096CA (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#15786 2 years ago

Gentlemen, gentlemen

Name calling will only do so much perhaps a friendly, or not so friendly whatever, public wager between you two to spice up our lives?

Something like who can manage a 10k stock portfolio better in 2022. Update the trades here and winner gets a NIB plus so much bragging rights. Just spitballing here so if you’d like to alter it feel free.

Or knife fight in a Thunderdome is also acceptable.

43918760-8AF3-4622-B431-E6822904359E (resized).jpeg43918760-8AF3-4622-B431-E6822904359E (resized).jpeg
#15853 2 years ago

I think the glasses will be huge for Apple too

#15893 2 years ago

Remember energy usage doesn’t equate to energy stored or transferred. A lot of btc mining is done with otherwise wasted energy such as hydropower or natural gas burn off captures. It’s also driving new technologies in energy such as thorium reactors. There are several cryptos that don’t use mining but Proof of Stake which consumes little to no energy. Not all cryptos are created equal.

#15894 2 years ago

I like what Bill Miller says about 1% of portfolio.

#15918 2 years ago

Alcoa Aluminum has been great for me

#15945 2 years ago

You can read the first three paragraphs and tell the article is wildly biased.

That said the points about Tether are very valid. It doesn’t address that the needed solution, imo, is a regulated stablecoin with proper lending procedures. You can’t kill CC without disconnecting the internet. China and India still transaction everyday in CC despite the ban.

1 month later
#16282 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

It's crazy they can get away with charging that much over the LA average ($5.43 today according to AAA)

Location location location

Right by LAX the prices are extra high too

#16284 2 years ago
Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

Yeah, I am sure they walked into the store to change the price for TV. $4.30 now in Michigan, my sister said $4.10 in North Carolina today.

What’s your point? That’s one gas station that is a huge outlier to grab headlines…
It’s 4.40 here today.

1 week later
#16346 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

It looks like a massive short squeeze on Baba...only reason for a 30% spike. The monkies were shorting the crap out of it for 3 months...I think we might see a rise tomorrow too. There are plenty of shorts who were caught by surprise and didn't get to cover today.

That can’t be the only reason look at a bunch of other Chinese company stocks

1 week later
#16357 2 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Pot stocks jumping. Sndl up about 20% today.

Heard a rumor that senate will introduce a bill to decriminalize next month.

2 months later
#16812 1 year ago
Quoted from RTR:

[quoted image]
So, did anyone buy anything today? Is there anything worth buying? Hell even XLE is down almost 10% over the last 4 trading days.
I spoke with a friend's advisor today and he suggested that we are near the bottom, but would really like to see the S&P around 3600. He also suggested thinking about some international exposure. My only international exposure rn are large growth stocks that have business outside the US - MSFT, GOOG, AAPL, etc. In other words, none really.

I’m waiting to see what happens Wednesday

#16850 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

OMG...I just read the predictions of the FED....yikes. Don't plan on buying any stocks this week.

Shorts and puts are printing…

2 weeks later
#16954 1 year ago

Shop has been disappointing thought that split would play out better.

#16959 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I've been watching split stocks trying to determine when is a good time to get in...and so far..nothing looks good...nothing....nothing....
You would think there'd be something that makes bank during these things...like liquor, drugs, pharma, check cashing places/pay day loans, guns, home security, cybersecurity. Just not seeing it. Even energy is taking a dump. Maybe I should look into mega yachts. That business seems to be booming.

Shorts and puts are printing

#16962 1 year ago

I bought some at $304.70 pre split and some more today at $31.10
Long term this is going to be a great stock
I use their platform for my business and it's extremely good!

Im still holding, long term play to me

#16967 1 year ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

I remember making lots of money off Bitcoin Cash when it came out, and later as it fluctuated around $700.... now it's less than a hundred bucks.
No reason BTC can't be the same.
I'd love an asset that completely holds against inflation: a True stable coin, not just a dollar peg..... oh right, that's what gold should be (but isn't). HA!!!

4C3F1C4E-3EBF-4D15-AC8A-5D80A72EF235 (resized).jpeg4C3F1C4E-3EBF-4D15-AC8A-5D80A72EF235 (resized).jpeg
#16971 1 year ago
Quoted from Methos:

This thread has moved so far from what it was originally created for. Crypto, gold, muff 'n puff - time to put it down?

How about you share a good play and put it back on track?

#16989 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It’s not the end of the world fellas although it might seem like it with incompetence running rampant. Truly astounding
The pendulum is swinging back.
Now we do get these run of the mill bear markets routinely and not all recessions are created equal.
Here is the futures market for inflation which has come down significantly the last two weeks.
Nobody rings the dinner bell when the bottom is in.
So hang in there fellas and have a great patriotic 4th!
[quoted image]

Looks like a dead cat bounce to me. Macro is still screwed on the petrol dollar.

3 weeks later
#17079 1 year ago

I think Amazon took a lot of Walmart’s earnings.

Their earnings are this week too.

3 weeks later
#17334 1 year ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Hasn’t Apple been buying back shares and lowering their cash holdings?
I don’t recommend betting against Apple in any long term way. You might get lucky in the short term but good luck with that kind of gambling.
My Apple stock investments will and have already paid for all the cell phones I will ever buy and all the streaming services I subscribe many times over.

I’m real interested to see their VR/AR glasses scheduled to come out soon. Could be a huge revenue stream not just the hardware but the software as well.

1 month later
1 week later
#17805 1 year ago

Apple glasses could be a huge mover in 2023.

#17844 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I’m looking forward to Twitter and Elon bringing it public in the future.
Cleaning up that cesspool should reap more advertising $$$
Elon a genius.

He’s going to try and turn it into WeChat. You could argue if that’s good or bad but should be interesting.

1 week later
#17958 1 year ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

crypto is unwinding fast - lots of money getting pulled out and lost. Will be interesting to see where it goes...

Crypto is crashing because FTX is insolvent.
It was the second biggest exchange in the world.

#17960 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

When the people with the keys to the castle can't make money, where does the leave everyone else?

Hmm…I don’t really understand your question, but imo no one should leave any crypto on an exchange.

Since this is a stock thread we can discuss it in crypto thread if you like. However FTX / Alamada Research was/is a massive company with investors like Black Rock. So if you got stock in any investor company they will be taking a hit too.

1 week later
#18056 1 year ago

Think there’s a good chance we see Thorium reactors in our lifetime.

1 week later
#18149 1 year ago
Quoted from kool1:

The big outperformance to the market we have seen the last 10 years will not repeat over the next decade. If your expectation is that Apple will outperform other tech stocks, you have a chance. The hoards of Apple fans like you alone should keep the stock at a premium valuation but tech is going to lag the market in 2023. That's my point and I don't see your $200 target any time soon.
Keep in mind Apple is still our #1 tech holding. It's just been trimmed back for the reasons I outlined. Market weight, nothing more except for people who don't want to pay tax.
The angry Tesla fan / investor brigade has been crushed this year. I think the stock could go lower. It's a car company.

Pepsi is taking delivery of first electric semi trucks this week.

#18165 1 year ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

As soon as I saw the prices dropping about a year ago on bitcoin and ethereum, I sold most of mine at a 300% profit. I bought back some when the price got way lower.

I didn’t sell any of my btc… but I did hedge my holdings with shorts starting around 40k. No complaints, playing the long game.

3 months later
#18803 1 year ago
Quoted from kvan99:

There is talk about having the FDIC giving protection over the normal $250k limit so the contagion doesn't spread. I mean after a few trillion during covid what's another 10 billion for market stability? I think it may set a bad precedent but, then again the Fed has proven me wrong when it comes to breaking tradition. But they need to act and act fast, the best thing would've been to keep SVB solvent....but it's too late for that now.

Bank bailouts has horrible optics right now especially with welfare getting cut and student loan payments coming back. USDC is depegging right now due to Circles exposure to SVB.
Credit Suisse is also rumored to be in trouble too.

#18811 1 year ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Yeah...but now it will cost 10x (maybe 100x) as much for the economy. We'll see, they do have smart people at the helm.

Buy out from a third party would be best outcome but who would want to buy it with all that liquidity locked in 5 and 30 year bonds with Jpow raising rates.

Quoted from usandthem:

Not only would it be "bad optics", but more importantly it would be the wrong thing to do. To make a supposed "free market" work, sometimes you just have to let it burn. Clear out the dead wood and give someone else a shot at rising up through the ashes. Don't bail out the failures and incompetents. What incentive will they have to be competitive?

Hasn’t stopped them before. Going to be an interesting week.

#18819 1 year ago

It’s not just SVB…

First Republic Bank is not looking good either…

Quoted from kvan99:

Also, there are a lot of nefarious forces in the underbelly of the finance world nowadays, they can use bots and misinformation to fan panic while shorting or using puts to make billions on the backs of investors. It's always cheaper and safer to keep things contained even if Joe taxpayer doesn't like or understand it.

Maybe I don’t understand it…please tell me why we should save fractional reserve banking?

#18826 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Domino effect...the catch 22 of our economy.
The reason for the automotive and banking bailouts was because of the number of people that it would destroy if was allowed to fail. Sure, the people who benefit the most from it are the people who put us in that predicament to begin with...but that's the 'trickle down' that we always get told about in action.
Now, is it right or wrong? It's always going to depend on who you talk to and what they stand to lose if things went south. You aren't going to get an unbiased opinion. In our fantasy letting the world burn always sounds like a good thing because we mentally think 'we' are safe because we made all these protective plans. However, I think the reality is that true chaos would ensue though that would make the last few years look like a vacation.
Ultimately, what is worse, bailing people out with fake money, or living without running water, electricity, in fear of being mugged/murdered by people looking for food? etc.
If you question if any of that is possible...think back to the riots, Jan 6th, or what happens if someones favorite team loses the world cup.
Having said that, I'm looking at this craziness as a buying opportunity. I keep hearing doom and gloom and I still do not see it happening. Lay offs sure, but not to the extent you would expect.

https://watcher.guru/news/us-treasury-secretary-rules-out-a-bailout-for-silicon-valley-bank
Best outcome is buyout from third party.

#18832 1 year ago

https://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/pressreleases/monetary20230312a.htm

Nobody bit on the auction…FDIC says they will back debtors. Also NY just closed Signature bank at the exact same time saying they will cover the debtors.

#18839 1 year ago

I’m curious why Signature Bank got shut down today.

#18854 1 year ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Reporting now saying it was another bank run. 10 billion pulled out in one business day alone (Friday).
Feds pulled the rip cord.
Now why they didn’t go the alternative route through the discount window financing they set up on Sunday, I dunno. Maybe it wasn’t set up in time.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/13/signature-bank-third-biggest-bank-failure-in-us-history.html

#18864 1 year ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Credit Suisse is also rumored to be in trouble too.

Should have put in puts.

#18988 1 year ago

25 increase tomorrow?

1 week later
#19094 12 months ago
Quoted from Zablon:

If someone had the time, they could make quite a bit trading BTC right now. It's pretty much a up 5%, down 5% every day.

6CF70869-76AE-42BE-BECD-97CE15C8D8CE (resized).jpeg6CF70869-76AE-42BE-BECD-97CE15C8D8CE (resized).jpeg
#19097 12 months ago
Quoted from Zablon:

You don't count I'm talking about if you aren't holding it and haven't been since 1910.

I don’t think you understand…
Here’s another win today…two hour hold

D754FCFA-7E0F-4C6A-8B3C-B155CFFBC4FA (resized).jpegD754FCFA-7E0F-4C6A-8B3C-B155CFFBC4FA (resized).jpeg
#19106 12 months ago

I think it’s more serious this time.
There’s a lot of different dynamics at play this time around.
If and when we lose oil deal it’s going to get ugly. Our oil reserves are at lowest level in decades, OPEC is cutting output for the rest of year, China is investing billions in refineries to open EoY.

Just my opinion.

1917A780-3919-4F50-9FF2-F113C5258AE1 (resized).jpeg1917A780-3919-4F50-9FF2-F113C5258AE1 (resized).jpegCDAD88E5-7764-4D24-9FC8-ACFE25C2FADB (resized).jpegCDAD88E5-7764-4D24-9FC8-ACFE25C2FADB (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
1 month later
#19331 10 months ago

Bought more AAPL. First stock I’ve bought in while.

IMG_4520 (resized).jpegIMG_4520 (resized).jpeg
#19335 9 months ago
Quoted from kool1:

AAPL will have trouble blowing through $181-182 IMO. Valuation is stretched but who knows... people are ignoring valuation again so could happen.
[quoted image]

It’s above the Bolliger band now on pretty much all settings but between the new saving accounts Apple is offering and the VR headset demo coming this month figure it’s a good time all things considered.

#19356 9 months ago

I was hoping the headset would be sleeker.

#19380 9 months ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:I am no expert. Maybe just really lucky.
Bought and sold apple several times.
I see the 1 year and 5 year charts. Damn, it's done very well. BUT, it pays shit dividends.
Thus, I buy on lows and sell on high.
Sure, if I bought it and held for 10 years I will make money...in 10 years.
I will buy more in the next bad news at $140-160. I do believe if it creeps to $200 there will be a massive pull back.

I bought 5k of Apple stock when I was 21 years old in 2003 pre iPhone post iPod. Was definitely a life changing event. I remember when I bought it my coworker told me it will do alright but that I had missed the big profits.

1 week later
#19400 9 months ago

Tesla is having a great month with their charging stations.

1 month later
#19630 7 months ago
IMG_5475 (resized).jpegIMG_5475 (resized).jpeg
#19650 7 months ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Report card on BIG CPI report.
Core CPI y/y “cooler than expected” as predicted again by Fundstrat based on previous incoming data. I posted above
VIX down below 15 again
Yields dropping
Bulls running today
Bears back into the caves
Not a straight line, Aug and Sept still volatile BUT the thesis is in tact and this JULY CPI number is another important DATA point for the FED.
The market likes it, we saw what happened in July post CPI report. Maybe this helps put a floor in some volatility

Looking at the 12 mo July energy drove the number down big time.

image (resized).pngimage (resized).png
3 months later
#20173 3 months ago
Quoted from kvan99:What the f is going on with bitcoin? Closing on $45,000, I wish I had bought more. I'm not sure if this is a sign of rate cuts coming or something else.

ETF is coming

#20175 3 months ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Anything on the halving?
I was just researching and found some stuff on that news

That’s in May 2024, Every 4 years the mining reward gets decreased by 50%

Usually a big rally comes little after the halving but every cycle is alittle different though not too much.

IMG_5676 (resized).jpegIMG_5676 (resized).jpeg
#20177 3 months ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

I don’t understand what you’re saying. Could you elaborate on that concept?

Bitcoin price has traditionally followed the same pattern last 3 cycles (for this we ignore the first cycle because it was too new of an asset).

A cycle revolves around a halving, which happens ever four years. The halving cuts the amount of Bitcoin that gets awarded to miners every 15min.
Halving years are 2012-2016-2020-etc, same year as US presidential elections.

At some point the halvings wont matter as much because the reward gets so small. Atm it’s 6.25 Bitcoin every 15min. In 2024 it will change to 3.125btc.

Edit
Microstrategy stock has been crushing. They’re holding 1.7 billion dollars in unrealized gains just from btc purchases.

#20179 3 months ago
Quoted from BRONX:

I'm surprised Bitcoin is trading this high when you can get over 5% on 1yr t-bills. Nwhat needs to happen to kills Bitcoin/crypto as Warren buffet sees in the future? 2 yrs ago not to many folks imagined 5.5% t-bills coming are way. What makes this strange is t-bills yield at 20+yrs highs, and cryptos climbing with it, strange? What would crypto be doing today if the fed didn't raise rates as aggressively?

Bitcoin has larger market cap than Berkshire atm.
Buffet will likely be dead before Bitcoin.

1 month later
#20307 76 days ago

What’s interesting to me is seeing which brokers are banning purchases of any of the ETF’s because it doesn’t align with their core values.

1 month later
#20562 28 days ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

OK cramer
By the way the bitcoin etf I jumped in is now up 20%

Love Cramer

IMG_7658 (resized).jpegIMG_7658 (resized).jpeg
#20577 28 days ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

This also could allow manipulation of the price (see gold/silver) by whales.

Except these ETFs have blockchain proof of reserves. While gold and silver did not.

2 weeks later
#20712 14 days ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

I wouldn't invest in Reddit either, but I think your narrative is off, it doesn't skew as drastically politically to one side as you state, and there are plenty of right leaning groups. Locally we have r/Seattle and r/SeattleWA that represent two very different political camps and attitudes towards the city. But Reddit does skew younger, wealthier, urban, more educated and with more Asian users than most social media platforms. It's also one of the least popular social media platforms. Some good data here:
https://www.pewresearch.org/internet/fact-sheet/social-media/

I disagree…
Reddit is left skewed
Twitter is right skewed

Is what it is

#20752 13 days ago
Quoted from BRONX:

I said a small wager, a wager I can afford to lose, sort of like a lottery ticket to win big
What are my options?
Can I buy $10,000 put option for July 2026 for 1cent and buy like 10,000 of these option for $100 total investment, if it hits cash out for $1mil Buckaroos or more?

You can short on Coinbase…
I think max leverage is x3

If you know how cryptos work you can open an account on apex, no kyc
https://www.apex.exchange/
They offer x50 shorts

Though the longs just got cleared so I’d long atm not short

IMG_7782 (resized).jpegIMG_7782 (resized).jpeg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus
Toys/Add-ons

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pdxmonkey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders?tu=pdxmonkey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.