IMG_7658 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240226-151719 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240226-151210 (resized).png
IMG_1493 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0470 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5101 Roth conversion advice. Posted by iceman44 (3 years ago)

Post #19981 How To Read US Debt Clock Posted by pinnyheadhead (4 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oaken.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

393 posts in this topic match your search for posts by oaken. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1631 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

yea I echo mettle64 - there seems to be some conflicting information from different people in the medical fields and I read the same article from the WHO last week, so unless something has changed...

+1

R naught is pretty high too. Not measles high, but higher than flu.

#1668 4 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/09/italy-extends-its-quarantine-to-the-entire-country-pm-asks-residents-to-stay-at-home.html
from article: "The decision was made to protect the most vulnerable people in the country, he said, and the measures will take effect Tuesday and last until April 3."
This is an overreaction.
In regards to how contagious it is: https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-03-09/what-we-know-about-grand-princess-docking-coronavirus-quarantine
3,500 people on a cruise ship and only 21 have it. That's less than 1%. If it was as bad as the media makes it out to be, you would need to add a couple zero's to that number. The data right there shows it isn't highly contagious.
I'm one who won't go on a cruise ship...all I see is a floating septic tank.

Here’s the thing, how many people have been tested and when was their last test?

1 week later
#2181 4 years ago

Counter example:

Do you consider shingles to be mild? That’s a reoccurrence/flair up of chicken pox.

On topic, I quasi lucked out in that in my non-retirement account I was called away in January on about half my holdings. Not so lucky in that I initiated an energy position a week before the Saudi / Russia flair up. Oops. About a quarter of my other positions have been absolutely destroyed.

Have been looking for an entry point to put the rest of the funds back to work, but this volatility has made me keep my powder dry. Also, all this shelter in place stuff has put a question mark on our income stream. For better or worse Cash is King for us right now.

#2199 4 years ago

Unemployment claims filed in Ohio:

Last Sunday: 536
This Sunday: 11,995
Monday: 36,645

At national level I don’t know if this is priced into the market quite yet.

#2413 4 years ago
Quoted from LateCenturyMods:

Any company heavily dependent on petroleum feedstock (plastics, tires...) is going to enjoy low materials costs for a while.

Like say, nitrile glove manufacturers? Asking for a friend.

#2449 4 years ago

In particular Burr himself was instrumental in trying to block a law attempting to reform the very activity he is in hot water for.

My understanding is that as long as he maintains the fig leaf of “i operated on public knowledge and not my congressional knowledge” and there isn’t documented proof to say otherwise, he is in the clear legally.

So not criminal, not insider trading...maybe we should make a new phrase and call it pulling a Burr?

3 weeks later
#3546 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Are we in the "eye of the hurricane"? The initial blast was brutal. The back end of the hurricane could deliver a longer and more sustained blow. Or, it might just peter out with clearer skies ahead?
You are going to have an unfunded pension crisis get worse, along with local and state governments trying to figure out how they are going to make up lost revenue. Govt Pension funds are way down and $5.2 trillion of pension debt could swamp states on the heals of this shutdown. Alaska, California, Connecticut, Illinois etc. etc. etc.
Thinking out loud here.

I don’t like bearish iceman44 . I need that positive brovado to be the counterbalance to my negative Nancy tendencies.

1 month later
#4105 3 years ago

Make sure to also mention nanoscale crypto currency algorithms somewhere in there.

1 week later
#4203 3 years ago

I got iceman44 on one shoulder and taylor34 on the other.

#4207 3 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Well frankly iceman has been right and I have not. So maybe you should listen to him, lol.

It’s mostly theoretical anyway. Majority of my speculative money is now in the “bread and mortgage” bucket to protect against if wife also loses her job (as opposed to her current 33% haircut).

1 week later
#4259 3 years ago
Quoted from vex:

Does anyone like RIOT blockchain? It has been pretty good for me but not sure where it goes from here.

My glib response whenever anyone asks me about anything having to do with crypto is “I have some tulips to sell you if you are interested.”

#4279 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Possibly REITs if you can stand the volatility? REITs like SPG and SKT are up 100% from their lows and still down 50% from where they were in February. They also pay 10-15% yield at the current prices (down from 20-30% at their bottoms). If you believe in the reopening story, they're a good buy. I think SKT said their mall traffic is already back to 80% of normal in some states.

SKT has been a rollercoaster for sure. Lots of money to be made/lost in the volatility. Dividend got suspended as I recall.

1 week later
#4390 3 years ago

Fruit of the Loom for me. Genius.

1 week later
#4471 3 years ago
Quoted from investingdad:

I read that. Poor guy.
Let's be clear, those strategies are very advanced. For most, it's nearly gambling. Options were originally intended to function as a form of insurance or risk mitigation on an underlying investment.
A lot of people that play with them don't really understand them.

That is me in a nutshell. I know enough to know I only fully understand and am comfortable with the simple dividend enhancement and risk mitigation strategies of covered options.

Anything more complex is beyond my comfort zone and is where I would pay someone like Iceman to have his finger on the pulse and do those trades for me.

And you will never see me do anything on margin. Ever. Just ain’t my cup of tea.

1 month later
#4604 3 years ago
Quoted from jester523:

I'm looking to convert to a 15. Loan officers seem overwhelmed right now. Been having trouble getting a hold of the one who helped with my last mortgage.

Mine is easy to get a hold of...problem is my bank is a good 75-100 basis points above market rate at this point. (Hence him being available).

I have just been making a couple extra payments to shave a few years off.

#4612 3 years ago

Yep. This morning my local bank is at 3.75 for a no points 20 yr refi. Bankrate has randos at around 3.00 for no points.

#4620 3 years ago

Every time I look at TSLA I tell myself they are way overvalued...and then it shoots up another 50%.

#4623 3 years ago

It’s a “trailing stops activated” kind of day

1 week later
#4652 3 years ago

Looks like cruise lines are being taken out to the woodshed again thanks to Norwegian.

Fun speculative play, and I know it has worked out well for others, but I am too squeamish to play it.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/coronavirus-outbreak-norway-cruise-ship/

1 week later
#4694 3 years ago

It has been a curiosity to watch RKT. Is it an innovator/disruptor or a traditional company? The valuations at $25+ only make sense if it’s a disruptor.

I would be tempted at that $16 and change price point, but with what the macs just did...probably will have to fall a bit below that before I would think to nibble.

I guess I am just more interested in other sectors of the market and it would really have to move to turn my head.

1 week later
#4726 3 years ago

Good call.

It does appear that the survey says it’s a disruptor. Traditional metrics do not apply.

Was and still is not in my personal comfort zone.

1 week later
#4813 3 years ago

Probably because it ran so high so fast before earnings.

Also, they basically announced awhile back what their earnings were going to be to try and drum up support. (It worked bigly)

#4853 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Ice is right. I bought some RKT and AMZN around noon today. I will take these easy drops as opportunities to rebuy.

Also initiated a position in AMZN. 1/3rd today and will buy the rest of my allocation if it continues to go down.

Buckle up.

#4943 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

For what it is worth, I bought another good whack of RKT on Friday. I had sold 1/3 last week when we were at 32.61, and went and bought more ( a bigger tranche than I sold) at 24.47.

The Susquehanna note on RKT did have a nugget or two that has been basically my position on the stock from the beginning. Valuations north of $25 really only make sense if it is evaluated as a tech company as opposed to a mortgage company.

Obviously they lean hard on traditional mortgage company angle. I find the tech argument more persuasive, but am concerned enough to put my tech money elsewhere for now. Definitely watching with lots of interest.

More power to DBLM and others that are playing in this space. I am cheering for you from the sidelines.

1 week later
#5020 3 years ago

I remember trying to get in as fast as I could on the BABA ipo and thinking how crazy it was shooting up. And that wasn’t even remotely close to what this thing just did.

Pure insanity.

#5040 3 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Alomst got there today

Next leg of my buy in activated today. Always did love rollercoasters....

#5067 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Regardless of politics, I thought RBG was an incredibly thoughtful and sincere Justice. I always got the sense that she was trying to do what she thought was right. She lead an incredible life and will definitely leave a void on the Supreme Court.

Very well said.

#5131 3 years ago

Kinda having my mind blown by this backdoor Roth IRA tip. Excited and embarrassed I didn’t know about it.

It’s like ordering off the not so secret menu for the first time.

#5210 3 years ago

So much rot at Wells Fargo. Even if they are free and clear going forward, there is a potential minefield of past malfeasance.

I like visa/MasterCard and fintech over big banks, and pretty much any other big bank over Wells Fargo.

#5216 3 years ago

Cramer is really good at making yesterday's news more entertaining, but his show's financial value is similar to the nutritional value of circus peanuts.

#5221 3 years ago

Well on the positive side, this week I completed all the steps for the backdoor Roth. Will see at tax time if I did it right, but it was pretty straightforward.

If it’s all in the clear, this is something we will do yearly until they change the rules of the game again.

Pinside Lounge taught me something. I should frame that or put it on a shirt.

#5245 3 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

As the CEO of Campbell’s Soup, are you intentionally making these types of puns?
https://apple.news/A3x9s8oHyQOuckV63yFpl7A
It’s a Wall Street Journal article about food companies still trying to catch up with production demands and what may or may not be getting made so they can focus on the most in-demand items.
[quoted image]

Took me a bit, but now I see it.

#5249 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I don’t see any post by Gambit recently in this thread of major consequence???

Thread has been cleaned up a bit to stop the derailment.

On topic, man is tech sloshing around lately. I am enjoying it.

#5286 3 years ago

From market perspective, Senate business is potentially impacted. Might mean that if there is a negotiated and agreed to new relief bill, then the senate may have to delay a vote on it.

#5291 3 years ago

Below is from Calculated Risk blog. The movement has been unprecedented.

563E7380-383D-4584-8F24-4AB37A2394DF.png563E7380-383D-4584-8F24-4AB37A2394DF.png
1 week later
#5349 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

It sounds like the Apple IPhone 12 has 5G capabilities and a new glass that is 4x less likely to crack.

If my toddler could talk she would say “challenge accepted”.

#5363 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

So much rot at Wells Fargo. Even if they are free and clear going forward, there is a potential minefield of past malfeasance.

Recent wrongdoing:

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/wells-fargo-fires-dozens-for-alleged-abuse-of-covid-relief-program/

1 week later
#5400 3 years ago

Covid panic part 57

#5418 3 years ago

I lowered my cash position a tad by buying some aapl, but plan to sit tight from here on in.

Will take a lot more pain until we are down to back up the truck levels. Truck is ready if needed.

#5423 3 years ago

EPD has been a temptation for awhile now. Not as sexy as tech...but that can be a good thing!

#5474 3 years ago

Like I said, need more pain before I cost average in some more.

Just have to keep telling myself “pain is good. Pain is good.”

#5492 3 years ago

Skt was unloved prior to the pandemic (in my opinion unduly so). In the pandemic they were taken out to the woodshed like so many others.

suspending their dividend certainly hurt, but hopefully allows them to survive.

Long term best case they work towards restoring their dividend and crawling back to where they were. That would still be a 2-3 bagger for those that get in now. Honestly though, I see that as a long shot.

In the mean time totally at the whim of the pandemic response. Could get some nice pops and get some nasty drops based on things entirely out of their control. It’s a gamble.

#5523 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Aren't they saying there's two run-off seats for the Senate that will still decide that? And those won't be decided for months?

Yeah, but even at most a 50-50 split will mean nothing aggressive gets thru.

Wall Street loves gridlock.

What I find funny is going into the week it was “rally due to big wave meaning lots of stimulus”. Then it was “rally because everything stays the same”. Then it was “rally because gridlock is good.”

#5551 3 years ago

To the moon we go!

#5573 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

The earnings appeared to exceed expectations so in a normal world one would expect the stock go up. Though the after hours price is doing the opposite so far.

Going out on a limb but:

Fintech is tech and tech is hated right now? Check you watch, tech hate could turn on a dime.

Also, they aren’t even a year old and they are buying back stock already? Not the spice I am looking for in a sexy new shiny thing.

Edit: I think it’s a great company in general FYI No good feel on a fair price for the stock though

#5651 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

The Moderna vaccine appears to be a success. Look for another big up market day. Disney and MAC are going up.

Good news, especially the storage temperature, but man am I getting tired of science by press release.

That being said, gogo ditch stocks!

#5751 3 years ago

DBLM what are your thoughts on the Affirm ipo?

#5781 3 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

Is anyone using asset management services? I’m nearing the point where I don’t have the time, energy or expertise to manage my investments efficiently so maybe turning into a professional makes sense. So if you have an opinion, or advice on what to take into account when deciding on this I’d appreciate that. Thanks!

iceman44

#5807 3 years ago
Quoted from Barakawins1:

Seems like FSR and RKT don't really go up. Posted minor losses for a while. Not sure these are going to go up any time soon. Anyone else feel the same or
are both wait and ride it out stocks?

Re rkt: see iceman44 vs dblm posts for the bear and bull cases.

1 week later
#5945 3 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

CRM is down over 10% right now, I may jump on that.

I say thank you very much for the kind offer salesforce. Will gladly take the other half of my slack payout when it comes and 100% reinvest it in crm.

#5972 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

The only thing tempting me right now outside of Pinterest in AIRBNB. I may take some profits from Pins and move some to AIRBNB as I think that one has potential, but I'm still investigating.

I’m thinking there is going to be a bit of a feeding frenzy on Airbnb.

I am very interested but am no shark. If I can avoid being chum, I will initiate a position. otherwise I will probably wait until it settles a bit.

#5976 3 years ago

There is so much money sloshing around in the market right now...I would imagine many a company is looking to capitalize on it.

The bouncing around in valuation for Airbnb over the last rounds of funding for example and this current ipo is dramatic. In my opinion they got squeezed in February, but the end of week pricing could easily get a bit eye watering.

#5996 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Not enough details yet out there for me to have an opinion. With it being installment payment credit, it is an interesting space. It is part of the so-called Paypal Mafia, and has Peter Thiel backing it, so there is wood behind the arrow, but could also be manipulated a bit. Look forward to seeing the filings.

Some more details/analysis on the affirm ipo:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4392869-affirm-be-cheering-on-sidelines-for-this-one

#6014 3 years ago

Pretty much sums up my abnb opinion (I’m gonna get priced out before I even get in the door):

“This leaves me on the sidelines for this IPO for now. Had my brother been able to subscribe to the offering, even at the increased price, I would have suggested he invest, in part to get experience of public markets (his is mostly private niche markets and real estate) and in part because it's not a ridiculous price for a company with an exciting future. But with a likely pop and this sort of market, it doesn't seem like I'll be able to stomach participating.”

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4393805-airbnb-is-bound-to-be-exciting-trip-no-bargain

#6018 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I dont get zoom crashing.
Does America think this is over and everyone is going back to work?
Going to take 18 mo to distribute vaccine just in USA.

It is what a 5 bagger in less than a year? I think there’s your answer.

#6028 3 years ago

Can’t justify AI at 100. Congrats to those that got in lower.

#6051 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Pretty much sums up my abnb opinion (I’m gonna get priced out before I even get in the door):
“This leaves me on the sidelines for this IPO for now. Had my brother been able to subscribe to the offering, even at the increased price, I would have suggested he invest, in part to get experience of public markets (his is mostly private niche markets and real estate) and in part because it's not a ridiculous price for a company with an exciting future. But with a likely pop and this sort of market, it doesn't seem like I'll be able to stomach participating.”
https://seekingalpha.com/article/4393805-airbnb-is-bound-to-be-exciting-trip-no-bargain

Indicating to open above $140. Yep, I’m priced out.

#6060 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Here is how absurd the ipo market is.
Air BNB priced the offering at $68. That is what THEY think it's worth. The CFO and accounting team. And you know that number is high.
Now we investors are coming in and saying you insiders are wrong! It's worth 2.5 times that from the opening.
Lol.
It worries me a bit, the herd piling into these name mindlessly.
Buy when others are fearful and sell when the greed factor is off the charts.

These IPOs are so frothy. Does you concern for the new kids extend to any of the older guard tech winners? As in, if they get kicked in the nuts will they take down others with them?

#6103 3 years ago
Quoted from Barakawins1:

I got in at $110 today. But it is a slow kill today. Lots of stocks down. This one will bounce eventually when the market recovers.

What metric are you looking at that is giving you such confidence?

Don’t get me wrong, I love the company but I see the 60 times sales multiple and get woozy.

#6119 3 years ago

In the awkward position of being on both sides of this

Amzn vs. tdoc

Fight!

1 week later
#6279 3 years ago

The High deductible plan requirement is what has historically killed HSAs for me. Has this requirement changed recently?

Because let me tell ya, $450-$500 for 3 months of insulin vs $9-$10 destroys the value proposition if I am still forced to go high deductible.

#6301 3 years ago

I think you both are right.

I don’t see why you can’t be both a tool and be skilled at enriching yourself and those around you

1 week later
#6440 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Trust me I've wanted to sell my shares at various spikes and try to trade the peaks. But I'll never be able to get in for my cost average ever again so I've just traded the covered calls and made money that way.
The good thing about buying right now is the IV on the calls are very high and selling calls could work nice right now. But the announcement could come at anytime and rocket this thing big time so you'd be capping your gains. Once I close out these Jan $30s I won't sell anymore calls and just ride it out until the target company is announced.

Cover those calls yet?

PSTH FOMO Today

Ty for the tip by the way.

#6631 3 years ago
Quoted from spikelou2:

Can anyone explain the logic of buying these spac”s . Seems like they are raising money into a blind pool investments . Seems like bs to me but also seems like there is an unlimited appetite for these now . Can anyone educate me on them.

Depends on the spac and when you got in. I agree that they are frothy, but I feel that way about so many stocks right now.

The IPO market is not functioning properly and I blame that for the interest in these alternative ways of bringing companies to market.

I do agree with Iceman that the timing of spacs was better 2019/2020 and not 2021/2022. They were successful, so now there is too much interest. I am guilty as charged.

Ackman’s I got in later and it is in my pure speculation money pool (which is a very small pool).

I have another spac from awhile ago where my cost basis is just below the guarantee payout if it dissolves. Sitting on some nice warrants too if it does work out. If it doesn’t, oh well. It has until around March to announce a deal or it dissolves. Definitely not as sexy as Ackman, but much less risk given my cost basis. It also is a small part of my portfolio. Honestly I would have probably been better served just buying VOO.

Check back with me in a couple months.

#6704 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Massive lockup ends in February with a lot of shares coming out. This represents a good buying opportunity after lock up. Would not buy C3.AI until after lockup as well.

Waiting until after lockup here too.

#6722 3 years ago

Affirm ipo doubled basically at open.

Looks like another high flyer where I will be a spectator.

#6794 3 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

Both hyped due to COVID "Online is everything" but their fundamentals haven't changed for years. Not surprising they are both down from IPO. Let's them bounce around for awhile. POSH $86 off from $101 first day is not a great testiment to their long term expectations. The gambler could buy in now, but that is a high risk scenerio.

Still up significantly from ipo of $42. I am not a fan of all these companies doubling their ipo price at start of public trading. To me that means the bankers failed big time in properly pricing the thing...

...that or John Q Public is dot com bubbling the heck out everything...

Oh what the hay, I will go with both.

#6922 3 years ago

Speaking of watering my weeds, I submit to you skt. It probably fits as an iceman dumbbell stock. It has tripled from its covid lows, but since I rode the darn thing all the way down, I am still in the red a good 25%.

At least the dividend is finally back.

#6932 3 years ago

Pure grain alcohol on the other hand...

#7105 3 years ago

GME Insanity

#7117 3 years ago

SKT too looks to be benefitting as a mac cousin

#7147 3 years ago

I see what the crazies did to gme, and then I look over at amc and think “that’s it?”

A week ago I would have been picking my jaw off the floor on that amc move.

#7197 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Thanks to all of you that brought it up. It and the wallstreetbets stuff wasn't really on my radar. I'm well hedged, so my gains are limited, but I could make a max of around $10k if it's above $5.50 at the end of the week. That would be a big shot in the arm this early in the new trading year. It would have to drop to around $3.25 before I went negative on my positions.
Starting to get antsy on it. Close the positions early for a double, or wait it out for a home run?

My position is nearly identical, but I cap out at 7 at end of the week.

#7204 3 years ago

The premiums on the Friday weekly calls were/are crazy so that was the kicker for me to sell covered calls.

#7227 3 years ago

AMC after hours last couple of days has been big. Not GME insane, but still.

GME looks like once in a lifetime tulip bulb speculation to me. When the music stops and you are left holding that bag...

Edit: hell, amc is speculation too, but that GameStop...it’s like having a shot of tequila vs. a case.

#7255 3 years ago

Ok, I take back my comparison, amc after hours is loco

#7262 3 years ago

So for those in the know, has the asylum decided what target comes after amc?

#7294 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Well, I botched on GME so my honest answer is I don’t know.

Botched for 60% profit is the kind of botching that I could live with.

#7457 3 years ago

That huge short interest in SKT is looking pretty exposed right now. Wonder if they will try to cover before the Eye of Sauron locks its gaze.

I have held SKT for years now. And for years it has been a horrible stinker of a decision. Come on reddit, save me!

#7461 3 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Why @ 420.69 exactly tho?

weed and sex

#7677 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Wallstreetbets is up (just set to private). In there now. Could be showing as wallstreetbetsnew. Stocktweets is also good.

It is my understanding that Discord did ban them though

#7690 3 years ago

This week is reminding me why I have only ever stepped foot in a casino twice in my life. Just too gut churning for me. Even when I am up big, I feel like I’m gonna puke.

My dad however is loving every last second of it.

He sent my family a surprise pizza dinner as a thank you.

#7879 3 years ago

My dad called me up this morning to crow a little bit about the bulls the bears and the pigs.

After my silence he asked me: are you squealing yet?

My dad, an internet troll since before there was an internet haha.

#8301 3 years ago

End of day today is a big expiration

Quoted from KornFreak28:

Ok so at what time do all this calls expire? Is there a specific time of the day we should watch out for?

#8321 3 years ago

Also as far as my brokerage, you can only do covered options on these stocks...and you have to call them to initiate or close them. I imagine i would have better luck calling the dmv.

#8438 3 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Yes, but we blew it on hookers and coke.

This little piggy got greedy and rolled most of it into the next gamble even though I’m a big boy and knew better.

Still up enough for the next cgc though.

The changing of the rules mid game was a big curveball.

#8442 3 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

I'm holding. I'll hold over the weekend too. if I goes below $10 I'll probably get more. Then I'll reassess on Monday.

Yeah....most aren’t allowed to get much more anymore. Or write calls/puts. Or do much other than sell or hold really.

#8540 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

So the whole Robinhood debacle was one of mismanagement and not some evil attempt to limit damage to the big Wall St short money?

A little of both?

#8580 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I am hoping I'm wrong on this, but I'm wondering if the SEC is going to somehow claw back all of the gains the individual investors made due to the WSB and reddit users influencing the market for these select stocks?
If so, it will be a major loss for the little guy making his few thousand to few million on this in a day.

Maybe for a few token players. Maybe the most vocal and most aggressive wsb users...especially if they have previously or are currently registered as advisors/brokers.

All others it would be nigh impossible.

#8638 3 years ago

A thought occurs to me:

I wonder how many of those who had their accounts restricted had it done so because of good faith violations and not due to the brokers being big meanies.

If it has been an issue, the brokers sure have done a poor job of explaining it to people.

#8710 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

You can do it, just don't do it more than 3 times this week.

(Just to clarify)

3 times in 12 months will put you in the box for 90 days.

https://www.fidelity.com/learning-center/trading-investing/trading/avoiding-cash-trading-violations

#8722 3 years ago

I loved ask Jeeves.

God I feel old

#8755 3 years ago

For fun I tried to sell some March out of the money covered calls in NOK via TD Ameritrade.

Nope. Nada. Not even via calling into a broker. They will not allow me to sell options on shares I own.

(Also my account is in good standing. It’s not a new account. Etc)

#8757 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

That’s totally crazy.
I wonder if it’d be different if you had a million dollar portfolio?

I got the impression that in the meme stocks, (past present and future) my money is no good. Regardless of amount.

#8946 3 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Either I did it wrong or I’m not allowed. [quoted image]

A bunch of brokers have restricted any and all option trading of the meme stocks. You might be able to do it if you call them up. Will cost you some extra $$ and up to a couple hrs of your time.

For me, it was like $0.65 per contract at TD Ameritrade if you do it online. Extra $25 flat to call them. Was rejected with similar note to you when I tried to do it online. Waited on phone for 2 hrs to try it via human. Was told nope, no covered options trading period for me and stocks on the list ( meme stocks).

#8953 3 years ago

Yeah, i don’t do much in options, and never do anything complicated. I have loved the dividend enhancement strategy for going on a decade now.

Never had it where the broker basically blocked me like this.

Brave New World.

#9137 3 years ago

For about 5 years there I was selling covered calls on stocks like KR that trade in a very predictable range. Buy at bottom of the range, sell calls at top of range until called away (mindful of dividends). Wait till it drops towards bottom of the range and load back up. Maybe a couple of cycles a year.

I felt pretty smart and proud...until I compared my returns to folks following something similar to the iceman recommendations, i.e. buy the good stuff, set it and forget it, and buy more when on sale. That approach has had a higher return, (at least for the past one to three years) and is easier.

#9188 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Holy hell... figure i'd drop in, and over 2K comments since my last visit in a couple weeks.. wow!
Where's my fellow PSTH investors at?

Still in and also enjoying the ups and downs of soon being a shareholder of payoneer.

#9271 3 years ago

Based on the whole wsb broker fiasco, I will be transitioning away from TD Ameritrade. Don’t know if was their doing or Schwabs, but it’s left a real bitter taste in my mouth. Been with them well over a decade and never experienced anything like it.

Was thinking of fidelity since as best I can tell they didn’t significantly change the rules mid game. Plus they handle our companies retirement plans so somewhat familiar with them.

Everyone pretty happy with Fidelity?

#9282 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

I've had no problems with TD. They didn't restrict buying meme shares. They just upped margin requirements which was no big deal to me.

And nuked the derivative markets. That’s what’s stuck in my craw.

#9285 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Why are people still even considering RH anymore? You are aware of the shenanigans they pulled, right?

Agreed and yet

6B621295-BA74-4529-9CF2-8E7DF3F2FD13.png6B621295-BA74-4529-9CF2-8E7DF3F2FD13.png
#9293 3 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

Downloaded to post angry reviews. Can't review if you haven't downloaded it

Touché

#9412 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Took some profits and sold about 1/2 of my PINS stock after a 33% gain over the last few months.
Just bought into GNOG.
Still holding CCIV and up about 50% the past few weeks. Fingers crossed for the LUCID merger.
Edit for posterity:
In at 61.30 on PINS (after buying and selling a couple times)
In at 23.23 on CCIV
In at 18.50 on GNOG

Funny, added slightly to my PINS position today.

#9429 3 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

PSTH up another 3% any new rumors on a merger?

Ackman tweeted out a silly YouTube video of a rapper singing a song about him. Calling him bill spacman.

That’s about it.

#9443 3 years ago
Quoted from vex:

Will any of you guys that hate Bitcoin going to be divesting from the companies that adopt it in the future. Are you guys dumping Apple when it buys Bitcoin?

No, but I will shake my fist at the clouds and vote against them owning it if a shareholder resolution comes up.

Now, if they say they are abandoning everything else they do and focusing entirely on crypto...then I suggest not standing between me and the door.

#9637 3 years ago

Glad I nibbled during the dip. Wish I had gone whole hog.

Quoted from Zablon:

Holy PINS....

#9666 3 years ago
Quoted from athenspin:

I managed to stumble into EPD before the ex dividend date from your recommendation, a very nice dividend surprise. After reopening I imagine the dividend will be very nice! Do you recall the ticker symbol for the company that makes Cyber Punk? Thanks and thanks for the stock picks!

Heads up, besides the cyberpunk mess, they just got hit with a pretty nasty cyber attack.

A lot of things going wrong for them right now.

#9668 3 years ago
#9711 3 years ago

Stimulus incoming soon for another sugar rush to keep the good times rolling for a hair longer

#9793 3 years ago

Ackman raised something like another 4 billion for the PIPE that goes along with psth.

Combined with how big psth initial was...That’s a lot of scratch

https://sec.report/Document/0001193125-21-041777/

#9795 3 years ago

Watching the Reddit kiddos pull their hair out if it turns out to be subway or wework will almost be worth the hit to my gains. Almost.

#9797 3 years ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

Looks like softbank got wework, along with Coupang

“Last week, The Wall Street Journal reported that WeWork was looking to go public via SPAC for a rumored price of $10 billion. No deal has yet been announced, and while SoftBank is in the process of raising two more SPACs for a grand total of three, it is unlikely to merge WeWork through its own vehicles”

https://techcrunch.com/2021/02/08/wework-is-apparently-doing-better-not-that-softbank-wants-you-to-talk-about-that/

#9828 3 years ago

Warrants are the carrot to keep you sticking around and not just move on to the next shiny object.

Psth warrant structure encourages you to stick around longer. Especially if others cut and run.

The price action in my ftoc follows the sell on the deal being official advice, but I will stick with it because I actually think it is an fair deal and I want to own the company on the other side.

Also, I am a sucker for warrants. Plus I hate the IPO market right now, so this is a nice alternative to get in the front door.

#9830 3 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

2 for 9 is good.

Minimum.

#9837 3 years ago

“The 33.3mm “distributable tontine” warrants will be awarded pro rata to public shareholders who don’t redeem for cash at deal closing. To clarify: if no public shares redeem for cash, then each share gets 2/9 distributable tontine warrants. If half of all public shares redeem for cash, then each remaining share gets 4/9 distributable tontine warrants.”

https://spacalpha.com/insights/analysis-of-tontine-warrants/

#9850 3 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

We do not have either off, but they replaced them with floating holidays we can use any day of the year. This is great, as I can use that day sometime when it isn't 12 degrees outside.

I wish it was as balmy as 12 degrees outside.

#9858 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Only junk companies like Pennystocks or failing biz's like GameStop would be a pump and dump. PSTH and it's likely target is a buy and hold forever scenario, so any big dips aren't a dump, but another buying opportunity IMO
PSTH should be interesting this week... That's for sure...

One can only hope that the price action on the very low volume German exchanges translates to the USA market.

Regardless it’s all paper gains and losses because I am hodling thru and beyond merger. Fun to see the green arrows though

#9867 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

PLTR is dropping a fair amount in the premarket ahead of earnings. Combined with the lockup expiration, you should have a good entry point here in a few days.

I like how they reported a $140 million loss which included $240 million in employee stock compensation.

That being said, top line numbers and long term numbers look good. It just got a little ahead of itself.

#9910 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Should be 3 days from today, which would be Friday. Told you the government contracts would be strong.
I am looking to buy back in either Friday or Monday. This will be cheaper than what it is now.

Similar thinking here. Probably will initiate earlier if it drops below 25 before then, but keeping most of my powder dry until Monday.

#9924 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

What's your entry point to get back in?
still holding some shares I bought @ $24.75

That’s my first bite trigger actually

#9950 3 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

So is PLTR safe to buy now?

Lockup over at end of week. Many of us waiting until that shakes out.

#9960 3 years ago

Her words certainly seem to have moved tdoc today.

Kinda mad about it because I am cheap and I was liking the drop. It was becoming a contest of who gets down to my back up the truck level first, tdoc or pltr.

Still have a decent position in tdoc regardless.

Thoughts on Earnings next week? My thinking was it would sell off short term since it had run so much as of late.

#9994 3 years ago

PLTR: Looking more likely my friday puts will be activated, which will mean my first bite will have a cost basis of a little over 23

After that...waiting until Monday before initiating next bite

#10013 3 years ago

I’m thinking 25 is too early on PLTR as well.

Regardless, 3 yrs from now it won’t matter.

#10016 3 years ago
Quoted from ViperJelly:

When are you jumping in on PLTR?

First bite probably at 25 (but did it via puts so if it’s at 25 or lower tomorrow, then I am in and my cost basis is closer to 23)

Waiting until beginning of next week to reassess. Like dblm has been saying.

#10045 3 years ago

AI is the next interesting lockup (in my opinion)

#10058 3 years ago

Damn late to the party. Classic me.

#10066 3 years ago

I do find it amusing that according to the news:

wsb + gme = bad

Ark + pltr = good

Made money both ways, so my wallet doesn’t mind.

#10074 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Sell some puts, make some money while you wait for it to drop.

This is the way.

#10109 3 years ago

Take PINS for example. As Ice has been pounding the table, I have not been a believer. I have been dead wrong.

So after that kick butt earnings report I relented a bit and looked to open a position. I thought it would probably drift down to 70-75, maybe test 65-70 at worst. Still didn’t feel like chasing it so when it dropped under 80, I bought 1/3rd position and then as it bounced around a bit I sold near the money covered puts for my next 1/3rd position. Basically brought my potential costs at or below my price target.

If it had drifted lower, I would have looked to buy in more or sell puts depending on the situation.

If I had listened to Ice fully, I would have made a lot more, but this was what I was comfortable with and still am squeezing out what would under more typical times be considered a good profit.

#10159 3 years ago

I do so enjoy catching falling knives.

#10183 3 years ago

Reminds me of the old commercial that went: 4 out of 5 dentists agree. The fifth one...

Which then reminded me to look at tdoc...it has been bouncing around a lot lately and today took a hard turn going into earnings.

It isn’t too far off where I thought it would end up after earnings. Should be interesting to see the movement coming up this week.

I look around and I see the possibilities of so many sales, and not a big enough stack to buy all I want. Definitely going to have to slow down and be careful.

#10203 3 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Just listened to an interview by their CEO. I could probably listen to that dude read the phone book. Great voice. Seemed very steady and was resolute that they’ll bounce back. My parents are big time cruisers and while I haven’t discussed it with them, I figure they’ll be back at it once considered safe.

My parents are about a week out from their second shot. They are already looking into their next cruise.

There was no amount of money the cruise lines could have offered to entice them to get on a boat last year. Now though, they are looking to spend last year’s cruise money along with this year’s. Elbowing to get on the first thing resembling full service cruising.

Anecdotal I know, but still.

#10291 3 years ago

Now let’s see what happens with earnings this week for some of these high flyer techs.

I’m bearish for tdoc, bullish for jd

And psth announcement incoming? It’s anyone’s guess on that timing.

#10315 3 years ago

When I started out in high school / college I used my dad’s broker.

He gave advice that basically just enriched himself. He was pricey too for the amount of money I had to invest at the time. Left a real bad taste in my mouth.

When I got a real job, I told myself I would go it alone until I had a big enough account so that the fees wouldn’t eat me alive.

Then it became having enough to hire an investment advisor. Then enough to hire a private wealth manager.

Basically kept moving the goal posts as I got more and more comfortable with going it alone on simpler investing.

Plus between the 401(k)s, college savings plans, and other default managed accounts, my funding became diverse and managed by others regardless.

I swear at some point I will just turn the keys over...some day...

#10337 3 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

So what is everyone buying today??

A drink

Seriously though, I am pretty much locked in until mid March. Watching earnings of several techs over the next few days and may make a small buy depending on the situation.

#10356 3 years ago

PSTH2 (edit registered not filed) so....deal soon for PSTH?

#10373 3 years ago

Tdoc meet penalty box.

Love the company long term and has been nice to sell these covered calls to cushion the drop. Size of the drop was a bit beyond my expectations. It just ran too far too fast in my opinion.

#10413 3 years ago

At least so far it’s all just short term paper gains going poof. Not much more meat left on those bones though.

#10427 3 years ago

CRM had good numbers, but disappointed on guidance. Definitely on my radar to pick up some after this plays out a bit longer.

#10494 3 years ago
Quoted from Barakawins1:

Can someone explain this headline today?
Pershing Square Tontine Option Alert: Apr 16 $35 Calls Sweep (3) near the Ask: 91 @ $3.0 vs 29423 OI; Ref=$29.09

April 16 call at $35 strike price.

Sweep is a large institution buying/selling across several smaller orders

91 contracts traded at a cost of $3.00 per ($3.00 x 100 = $300. $300 x 91 = $27,300)

29423 Open Interest in that particular strike. (That’s how many orders outstanding for that strike)

$29.09 is the underlying stock price quote

#10496 3 years ago

That too

#10516 3 years ago

Until then the TINA party still goes on

#10580 3 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Looks like Texas is going to start reopening everything up.
I don't want to talk about the rightness/wrongness of the choice, politics, blah blah. But how are we all going to make a buck off it

Long Malls?

Short life insurance companies?

#10602 3 years ago

Looks like redditors are making a mini run at skt this morning.

#10623 3 years ago

Spacs are nearly all red across the board since the cciv announcement. Even ones that had popped and stayed elevated on their own announcements have fallen back.

Ftoc for example. Didn’t have a cciv level pop, (but did pop to around $15), and has fallen back to near NAV.

#10654 3 years ago

Cliff

(My portfolio really would prefer it to not be a cliff though)

#10660 3 years ago

One of the multitude of problems with the wsb suckers market is that when you take a beaten up small cap like skt and try to pump it...there are a ton of saps like me that have been waiting to sell into strength after years out in the wilderness. Not to mention that the big boys see you coming from a mile away and quickly set up shop to fleece you.

#10690 3 years ago

Psth....ouch.

Although, it’s getting to the point where selling puts will get you near the guarantee if it continues to drop.

#10695 3 years ago

At least this year I don’t suddenly need to shore up my cash position. Can make less panicked decisions

Hopefully that works in my favor

#10728 3 years ago
Quoted from taimaster2005:

Selling any of the 22.5, 25 or 30 May strike puts in PSTH will get you pretty close to NAV if you get assigned.

This is what I ended up doing.

#10731 3 years ago

looks like 1/4th of my cash that I didn’t want to chase with is going to get assigned. 1/4th I did end up foolishly chasing.

Starting to feel out April/May for next 1/4.

Last 1/4th is in penalty box for me being naughty with first 1/4th.

#10801 3 years ago
Quoted from DadofTwins:

That article made it sound like you can sell what you have for $11.50/share or hold and get $0.01/share? That can't be correct, can it?

Warrants give you the right to buy shares at 11.50 OR redeem them for cash. Cash value 0.01. (i.e. basically worthless)

So if you don’t have the capital to exercise the warrant in the timeframe given, the company will cash you out.

#10826 3 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Anybody else warming up the truck for a trip to the Apple store?

Nibbled today. Truck is ready

#10859 3 years ago

If I don’t get squeamish and stick to my plan, PINS below 60 will activate the last leg of my capital allocated towards it.

For more I would have to sell something or my wife would have to work harder.

#10862 3 years ago

PE ratio is the wrong way to measure these stocks...

...until it’s not.

#10924 3 years ago

Covered options are the way to play.

Margin is way to risky for me.

Naked options are a fantastic way to lose your house.

I did something similar with PINS and TDOC but with a waaay smaller number of contracts than iceman44 (my stacks are modest, not fat). Sold March PINS 100 strike calls about two weeks after earnings when it was over 90 a share. When it went dropped, bought them back for pennies and sold PINS 90 strikes. Also sold cash covered PINS puts that would put my cost basis where I wanted it for my next leg.

With tdoc...it is so volatile. Juice to be squeezed. I have sold weekly out of the money call strikes all the way down and lowered my cost basis by about 30. Another day or two like this and I will probably be called away here though, so gonna lose out on that upside. Sold some puts too so either way I’m probably rotating March 19. Heck, if it drops below my put strike I will probably be backing up my pint sized truck anyway.

#11052 3 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Anyone have any quick 20X return ideas so I can quit my job this afternoon? Lol

Bet it all on green!

#11079 3 years ago

Chased cpng...in at 52 to start position.

Bad oaken bad.

#11083 3 years ago

Pro tip:

Don’t have a trading app open on your phone in one hand when you also have a grabby toddler in your other hand.

(She also won’t let me solve a Rubik’s cube if it takes longer than about 30 seconds)

#11166 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Def an idiot and proud of it!

The replies in the Reddit thread are pretty darn funny / brutal.

#11312 3 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Why would the sell with a tax hike, I would think the opposite.

Sell after the hike passes but before it takes effect.

#11315 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

April is setting up to be a big month.
A month of big optimism regarding reopenings, gdp growth and another tech earnings blowout quarter.
This summer? Let’s see how high oil goes.
And what a ridiculous tax hike in the middle of a pandemic recovery looks like
IF what we hear makes it in there, and I would doubt it, but the cap gains hike for people making over $1 mill will lead to a sell off like you haven’t seen before!
Locking in those LT gains! It NEVER works and only suppresses capital formation and investment

So if I have a 3-5 yr horizon, is it just steady as she goes / ignore the noise?

Or do I hit pause and hold/accumulate my powder for the next sell off.

Either way, buckle up eh?

#11317 3 years ago

Even a goose needs to know it’s place.

#11410 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

How many more "sale prices" can we expect on AAPL and PINS?

42. The answer is 42.

#11453 3 years ago

Ya know, I was just running the numbers the other night and it’s looking like I should budget a cool mil for my kiddos college.

Things be crazy.

Quoted from iceman44:

I suggest as a Dad of twins you focus on the LT strategy my man!
And keep educating yourself. Knowledge is power

#11480 3 years ago

All that gambling lingo is Greek to me.

Here I am furiously googling every bite size piece of it just so I can understand the argument, rather than finishing making breakfast and prepping stations for online school.

Pinside!

#11580 3 years ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

Bought some more PINS and PLTR today. I am ready for bumpy ride but plan on continuing to add to these, DKNG and AAPL going forward.

Initiated PLTR myself and am ready to buy more PINs here soon. AI is starting to pique my interest too.

#11584 3 years ago

If gamestop issued more shares they would have pissed off all the retail investors buying. The reason it's a meme stocks is because the float is extremely low. This makes the squeeze more likely due to the heavy level it was shorted. If they doubled the float everyone would have sold off and gamestop would be screwed

“GameStop also acknowledged in a filing that it was considering selling additional equity shares.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/23/gamestop-shares-rise-on-e-commerce-sales-jump-new-coo.html?&qsearchterm=gamestop

#11590 3 years ago

Here’s to hoping for the return of @iceman44

When he wasn’t drinking, I enjoyed reading his opinions on things, especially in this thread.

#11607 3 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

He will. The Mob went after him on the Deeproot thread - but it's happened before. His advice on this site far exceeds the Mob on any given day.

When ice calls people names and they call him names right back it does no good for anyone. Those are the arguments I do not like. Everything else, even when I disagree, I am interested in what he has to say.

#11628 3 years ago

That sustained drop in AI....my hand is out, the knife is falling. getting close.

#11650 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

PSTH rip from the lows
I think we saw the bottom today boys
Merger announcement is very close. Today was a gift.

How you holding up as of late? Still keeping the faith?

#11675 3 years ago

I view Leveraged etfs like I do naked options.

Don’t.

#11703 3 years ago
Quoted from 6S3NC3:

Well if im thinking about buying its prob not a good time BC with my luck its only half way to the bottom.

Re: pltr

Before the market soured, I liked it at 20-25. Seemed to have good support at 25. Support is now broken. Sold covered puts awhile back that put my cost basis at 22.5, right in the mid point of my range.

Now...just holding on.

Nibbled a little more at pins today. No rush to go all in, just nibble nibble like a mouse.

#11718 3 years ago

Risk and how time value works against you.

Depending on the leveraged etf, they are constantly rebalancing at fixed intervals, which pretty much guarantees that over the long term you lose.

Even when I do gamble, I still don’t play roulette.

#11797 3 years ago

And 1.5% move the other way would have had you lose everything.

Totally stable income.

You could also put it in scratch offs. Someone’s gotta win right?

#11826 2 years ago

I’ve pretty much had my fill on all these sales. My portfolio is starting to look like a bad version of a monty python skit.

#11860 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

With vaccine numbers being ahead of forecast and death and infection rate down I think this month that the hardest hit stocks will be on sale, .....Next month they're going to trend sharply upwards. Be invested and hold on. Oil, cruise lines, airlines, Vegas hotels, Uber, Lyft and most manufacturing including Boeing are going to pop!!!

I agree with market sentiment. Way off on infection rates though.

For the USA, as far as market is concerned, it’s just noise. EU is a little more concerning, but again as far as the market, it’s a temporary hiccup in my opinion. Might be a good brief doom sale.

#11889 2 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Hopefully my message above will trigger a fifteen point increase in the share price....

Will you accept 3 points?

#11929 2 years ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

Will PSTH ever make a move? Wondering if I should just cut the cord and move on?
Want more DKNG!

Dead until DA. (Look at the volume or lack thereof).

Maybe dead, maybe not after DA until merger.

You either have blind faith in Ackman or you don’t.

#11936 2 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

I'm not sure how I feel about the market right now.
On one hand, QQQ is lagging quite a bit while the S&P & Dow have been making new highs daily. Many of the growth names most often discussed here are 50% or more off their highs from a couple months back. They've popped strongly the last two days, but that doesn't make a dent in their overall losses from their highs. The first few months of 2021 have really brought back memories of 2000.
For myself, the last couple days have popped my account up to shouting distance of all time highs. I'm only hurting on one position, and nothing like it was two days ago. This pop has allowed me to reestablish option positions that protect my holdings quite well. Absent a 10-15% drop in each holding in the next 6 weeks, I'll come out ahead on all of them. Thinking that drop could very well happen, I'm building up a QQQ short.

My covered options are the only thing keeping me in the green since the tech woodshedding.

#11987 2 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Sold my tme Thursday for a couple bucks profit, small wins to build my account.
Sold pltr at 23, took a 3$ loss but planning to buy back if it dips down enough. I want my 3$ back!!
Got some mgm a couple weeks ago at 39, nice to see it above that again.
Still gonna ride or die with hitif

Does Canada have anything like wash sale rules? ‘Cause in the USA, you are still in the penalty box for a few more weeks.

#11988 2 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Who the IRS? Lol. He has 70M more options expiring this year. 61M at 10...........cents
Yeah I feel growth winners from last year will be choppy this year after last years run up. Yes there are more options coming up and also short term capital gains turning into long term capital gains for last years purchases made from April on.
And this past January’s trading was 70% higher than Jan the previous year. Traders be trading. Trend still leans slightly upward with a lower short term ceiling. With higher growth you have a stomach for the Chop chop.

Yeah, at least right now it looks like all the recent pltr insider stock sales are due to raising cash to cover the tax implications of the sweet sweet stock options exercising.

#11993 2 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Probably bad unless you like buying dips. I’ve read a few articles that say if pltr breaks 20 then it could go down to 17.

Sorry for all the other owners, but I would love for that to happen.

1 week later
#12028 2 years ago
Quoted from investingdad:

How are you arriving at the conclusion the market is overvalued? Not individual stocks, the broader market?

Probably looking at something like below. The P/E ratio of the market writ large is significantly above its historical average.

The counter (bull) argument is that the primary reason the P/E ratio is out of whack is that earnings were suppressed by covid economy and that earnings will more than recover in the near future. This will naturally drop the ratio back to a more reasonable number.

But if the bull argument is wrong...

88CA8534-1BBA-4D21-8825-F6ED2F2C684B.jpeg88CA8534-1BBA-4D21-8825-F6ED2F2C684B.jpeg
#12036 2 years ago

Whelp looking like I caught a knife with AI. Cost basis around 60. Now thinking we will see 40 before we see 80.

#12072 2 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Whelp looking like I caught a knife with AI. Cost basis around 60. Now thinking we will see 40 before we see 80.

Didn’t take long to be (happily) wrong on this one.

#12122 2 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Assuming you mean leaving your retirement fund alone and throwing around some play money, I really like TD Ameritrade for the thinkorswim app. I'm into data and analytics professionally, as well as a hobby. This app has really given me what I've been looking for - a place to do research, dig into analytics, develop strategies, and even flex what dirty programming knowledge I have to build custom metrics and indicators.
If that sounds fun, thinkorswim would be my suggestion.
Robinhood takes a ton of shit, but the CEO of Interactive Brokers had an interview that made the CEO of RH sound like Winston Churchill. He didn't even bother hiding the fact that he was restricting trades on securities he felt were priced incorrectly. Fidelity is one of the few that really held their shit together and served their customers without flapping. That said, I tried their active trading software and it sucked the fun out of what I was trying to do, and I felt like I was just learning dead software. I also despise their web UI.

Td Ameritrade restricted options on the meme stocks and reserved the right to do it again as they see fit. Otherwise great software and no problems. Schwab is basically same thing at this point.

If you don’t care about software tools like thinkorswim, then fidelity is probably the best thing out there right now.

Robinhood needs to go away. Their whole schtick is to make investing seem like a game which is just plain wrong and dangerous. Then GameStop happened. Now they REALLY need to be put 6 feet under.

#12137 2 years ago
Quoted from DadofTwins:

Seems to be normal movement. No rhyme or reason except people taking profits, creating artificial drops and more buying opportunities. IMO. I am waiting for it to hit low 70's high 60's before buying back in again.
[quoted image]

Re: PINS drop. This may be why

Cleveland Research analyst Chandler Converse wrote:

“Q1 looks like it ended softer than mid-quarter expectations would indicate,” with some ad agencies and partners noting a deceleration from Q4 levels. Briefing.com adds that Cleveland Research indicated mixed trends from larger retailers, with a slowing page of net-new advertiser gains, and moderating spend levels from some new advertisers.

#12165 2 years ago

This is when I wish Iceman44 was still here.

#12168 2 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

but in reality once you hit 75 - 80, spending will decrease sharply anyway.

Counter argument in three words: long term care

#12172 2 years ago
Quoted from LITZ:

31K ...keep climbing!! And yes buy MARA RIOT n hodl. If both retest recent all time highs that’s a 105K profit! Now this is a stimulus package worth receiving!

Did you exit your RIOT plays or are still hodl hodl hodl?

Concerned at all about the analyst note ripping into it?

#12187 2 years ago

VIAC has been drawing me in like a moth to a flame. I have been holding out till now, but couldn’t help but start nibbling today.

Old habits die hard.

#12219 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Guys, its not that we are not supposed to talk crypto here but for a while that is all this became, and it wasn't focused on anything specific other that fiat is bad and you are dumb if you hold it. As for Safemoon, I am not buying anything that has that many coins and no data.

But it has safe AND moon in its name so how could it not triple your money by Friday? I’m taking out a second mortgage as we speak and plan on putting a deposit on a boat for my boat tomorrow.

YOLO

#12243 2 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

This did not age well.

I got excited and bought some back then too. Still holding. Been selling monthly puts/calls which has gotten my cost basis to just a little more than where it is trading now.

Still been a dog though.

My poor little ftoc has been thrown in with the rest of the lot (I feel unfairly so). That one I am still green on, but man, I miss January. I feel real good about the takeover target but it will take a few years to play out. As I said a few months ago, I suspect that while the investment will be profitable, it will underperform the S&P. Should have just bought voo.

#12292 2 years ago

Also let me just say that my ironclad proposal for all proceeds of cap gains to get funneled directly to my pin fund account is as likely to become reality as the recent pres. proposal.

I will bet a voucher good for one game on a gum free World Cup Soccer that it ain’t happening as proposed.

#12296 2 years ago

if I was making a million+ a year in my account, pretty sure I could afford a good tax professional.

Like iceman44

Just saying.

#12305 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

That is your Pacific Northwest bias showing. I know a bunch of millionaires in other parts of the country not happy with this.

Forgive my pedantic nature, but this isn’t going to directly affect millionaires writ large. It’s going to affect those that earn a million or more a year.

Much smaller subset. (Earnings vs net worth)

#12311 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Let me clarify: I know a bunch of people that make a mil a year and they are not happy. I wish I had that problem.

Pretty impressive that I (internet) know someone who knows a bunch of the 0.1%.

Now to go prepare my casual name drop speech for when quarantine ends.

#12333 2 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Let me know how they feel about high taxes when they retire. Especially if thier high paying tech jobs disappear before they retire.
If I'm still alive that is...

Also ask them why the heck they are pulling a cool mil from their taxable accounts and not other revenue streams.

Bonus points: what the heck kind of lifestyle are they trying to sustain for a mil yearly in retirement expenses?

#12355 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

If you research your stocks like you researched this little tidbit, I hope you leave it to an investor.

It’s nonsense. Pfizer et al are specifically protected from lawsuits related to adverse effects. They cannot be sued (successfully)

The real risk to covid related profits is the governments (USA/EU) sharing their patents with the world so that any company anywhere can make the medicines. So far governments are resisting doing this, but that’s the risk.

#12368 2 years ago

So aaaanyway....are you guys buying selling or holding going into tech earnings?

PINS, tdoc, etc.

Seems like right now if a tech company beat earnings but issue so-so guidance, they get annihilated.

Makes me a bit nervous, but holding thru it regardless. Might buy some protection.

#12409 2 years ago

Honest question(s) that I really don’t have a good feel on:

If India lockdowns again, Which are the USA stock based companies that would be most negatively impacted? Where do you think the overreaction will occur that Would create buying opportunities?

I am pretty darn clueless on the Indian market.

#12423 2 years ago

That Amzn move sure felt good after it’s been mostly flat for months now.

Due to speculation over split or something real?

#12453 2 years ago

Yep. Wish I was just watching and not experiencing it.

#12477 2 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Ice is still alive.
[quoted image]

Oh you stalker you

#12523 2 years ago

To the moon!!!!

#12561 2 years ago

Looks like it’s range bound and has been for awhile.

Are you referring to anything in particular?

#12570 2 years ago
Quoted from BillP:

TDOC - what happened, it’s going bad

Two bad quarters of poor cost control= major punishment.

Buckle up

#12595 2 years ago

The only reason my account shows green today is because my deposit cleared.

I’ll take it!

#12641 2 years ago

Rkt following the crushed on earnings trend. Not one I personally own, but the trend is a bit tiresome at this point.

#12645 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Looks like this slide has conviction.. "6-1 is going down"
I bought some SLB, VIAC and LVS....I'm out of almost all of tech

Viac:

The earnings were pretty much on the button for what I was looking for. But the price action is a bit of a head scratcher to me. My inner value investor is in it to win it.

#12673 2 years ago

Ouch. Good thing Kathie’s team has been collecting all them fees along the way.

Otherwise more than their pride would be hurting right now.

#12691 2 years ago

<- old millennial here. If in the last year I felt safe about my kids in school/daycare and me in an office I would have been looking for work, preferably in a similar company to where I was before.

Now, I feel safe but there is no entity I can pay to watch my kids (everything/one is booked) so I couldn’t work even if I wanted to.

Unless a bumper crop of daycares or something similar suddenly appear, there is no reasonable amount of money an employer could pay me to get me to work for at least the next 5 years.

Maybe if they themselves opened a daycare...that would be great, but I wouldn’t call that reasonable...

Point being I agree that companies are struggling to find and retain talent. I would argue younger generations drop out of the labor pool for more complicated reasons than “I don’t wanna work”

#12724 2 years ago
Quoted from mike200mph:

Pltr ouch !!!!, guess I am gonna have to hold
and wait for the bounce back .but that could take a while. The market just seems to be sliding downward lately
Maybe good time to buy more Sale prices

Lots of growth pain. Don’t see any signs of it ending soon. Holding back my remaining capital for foreseeable future.

#12726 2 years ago

Pltr earnings call will be...interesting.

Don’t get me wrong, big believer long term. Short term though...ouch.

#12750 2 years ago

Teasing out some details from the jobs report and adding my recently referenced personal experience and bias I strongly suspect that solving the childcare problem will go a long way towards solving the worker problem.

Now I have no freaking clue how to solve that problem, but that’s where I think we need to focus our energy.

That or be cool with more single income households and the economic consequences of that.

#12751 2 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

Does Amazon seem like it’s on the way for a stock split? If so, does it pay to have Amazon before a split? (Or does it dilute the splits and less valuable after)

1) people have been speculating on an amzn split for at least a year. Speculation fail.

2)Technically splits mean nothing from a value standpoint.

3) In general splits usually have a small positive effect since more retail can buy in, the stock gets included in indexes which then leads to index funds buying them, etc..

counter argument is that splits aren’t as appealing anymore since people can buy fractional shares now anyway.

Me personally I would love a split. Mostly so I could play the options.

#12782 2 years ago

It burns it burns.

I told my wife to not look at the account for a year or two.

She did say as long as I make more than a 10 yr treasury bond, (which is what she wanted me to put all the investment income into) then she won’t be mad...

#12821 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

did you buy the dip or just watch? I just watched.

I’m a spectator for now as well.

#12825 2 years ago

Psth:

ackman speech paraphrase “I am super excited for the deal I haven’t sealed yet. It’s complicated”

Then the stock pops nearly 10% before pulling back a bit.

Hopium is strong!

#12851 2 years ago

Got off the sidelines for one more nibble and bought more viac at the close. I swear I am done now. Really. Market is dragging it a bit, but it is such a beaten up value play that I see it as a contender for flight to safety as well as a potential growth story.

Been slowly adding to my position as it has been churning the last few weeks. My cost basis is right around $40. Can always drop further of course. Also sold a handful of may 21 puts on it when it was dropping fast awhile back. Those are still out of the money. I’m cool with premium or shares.

On the flip side, my May out of the money AI puts that had a huge premium are now very much in the money now though. My cost basis will be around $52.50 for those. That one is a falling knife for sure.

#12912 2 years ago

Disca being absorbed, now all eyes turn to viac.

My concern is the potential suitors. I own some of them...

Out of one pocket and into the other.

#12975 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

BA and VIAC are finally moving up. I'm also trimming one of my big winners WFC, I doubt it will ever crack the 50 dollars price, so I'm trying not to be greedy. I'm looking BABA....it seems it's down to low 200's which is a good entry point for this stock.

Looks like one of, or the last, big holdover of the archegos disca/viac fiasco has finally sold all their holdings. (This would be Normura I think).

For past few weeks they were selling into strength. Every. Single. Time.

Now with them out of the way, let’s see what happens. Who knows, maybe there are more fools that let archegos load up the margin beyond reason.

#13035 2 years ago

iceman44 lives!

#13062 2 years ago
Quoted from plowpusher:

Any thoughts on Coupang Inc. CPNG the touted South Korean next Amazon . Bill gates foundation dumped its Apple and bought up CPNG

Their quarter was good…just not 50 a share good. Short term in this market, don’t see much upside. Long term, love the company.

i think it’s 50-50 whether it goes to 45 or 35 from here short term. Not the kind of odds I like right now. Drops back closer to that 35 level and I’m interested again.

#13070 2 years ago

Salesforce hit it out of the park. Phew.

#13095 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

MGM studios, over 4,000 films, Bond, Rocky, etc. etc. Huge for Amazon prime i think

Also probably a small enough purchase to easily pass regulator review. Will close quickly I would think.

#13100 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

They aren't getting Bond, and a few other big ones. In fact the whole thing is...questionable.

Where are you seeing they aren’t getting Bond?

I know Warner media owns the ooold stuff, but thought mostly everything post 1986 was included.

#13108 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Own old content but still need permission from another party for a Jame Bond TV series.

But that’s how it always was for mgm too. MGM only ever owned 50%…now Amazon owns their 50%.

MGM has some very convoluted licensing agreements, which Amazon will inherent, but it’s not like some other limbs are being cut off here and there.

At least that’s how I understand it.

#13134 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

No shit. If only!
What stocks will we be saying that 10-15 yrs from now?

GME!

#13155 2 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

I'm a bit surprised no one has mentions AI. It's doing well today and I'm almost back to green.

I made good money off options in April/may, but planned on staying on the sidelines thru earnings. This earning season has been violent for growth.

I will tune back in later.

#13164 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

That news is already out and won’t matter anyhow. They sell it in the black market now
Read the Goldman Sachs report from last month on why they believe Oil is going to $80 along with David Tepper and others jumping in. And the Tom Lee daily commentary I keep posting
Or just sit in cash and watch your money get eaten up by inflation!
Timing the day trade? You can’t win

Quoted from kvan99:

I agree, short term the way is up...but once the deal gets announced it will go lower, I'm willing to bet you....

FD4E20A1-9080-4075-A51A-8EE4CD2EB4C1.gifFD4E20A1-9080-4075-A51A-8EE4CD2EB4C1.gif

#13180 2 years ago

Pure mo /squeeze.

Can’t stand still. It is a rocket or a wreck.

Live by the meme, die by the meme.

Just look at those put prices.

#13183 2 years ago

AMC has absolutely zero to do with fundamentals, which terrifies me.

Swimming with sharks. Those getting rich, please have an exit plan.

#13187 2 years ago

Since when do fundamentals matter? Look at dash. Can't even turn a profit when everyone's stuck at home. Or tesla? It's market cap is 10x Ford
Hopefully that guy didn't listen to those know it alls telling him to sell. Betting on a squeeze for stocks overly shorted is time tested strategy

No way in heck I would bet for or against Tesla either by the way.

When there is absolutely nothing mooring a stock to reality, I just need to sit it out. When the music stops, people are gonna get hurt bigly.

I have zero confidence/conviction for the memes.

I don’t go to the track either. Just don’t have the bones for it.

Edit: (To be fair this year I did dabble a bit for the first time in a long time. I did make some easy money, but it just reinforced to me that I can’t participate in these things.)

#13199 2 years ago

Last amc post (for the day)

Put example: the price of July 40 strike puts when the stock was near 40 earlier are worth notably LESS than 40 strike puts bought when the stock climbed past 60.

#13217 2 years ago

AI

Its fun being both right and wrong about a stock. Right that earnings were gonna hurt, wrong that it would have a huge run up into earnings.

Been fun to watch though.

#13223 2 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

It's not manipulation at all, it's very smart on AMC's part
There business has been significantly impacted by the virus and the stock is up way too high right now
Makes 100% sense to sell shares at this absurd valuation and raise more cash. Very smart move.

Agreed. They have a huge debt burden and it would be fiscal malfeasance to not take advantage of this opportunity.

I mean, they were a nose hair away from bankruptcy 6 months ago or so. Diluting shareholders to keep the company afloat is a viable solution.

Sucks for the apes though.

#13236 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Now AMC is positive! WTF? This is the craziest stuff. People are riding the lightning...I hope they know what they are doing.
[quoted image]

Company announces they will sell a boatload of shares, stock tanks. Few hours later Company announces they have completed sale of boatload of shares, stock moons.

Meanwhile I haven’t even finished my popcorn from yesterday. Maybe I should change my handle to Turtle.

#13242 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

That is pretty much the opposite of Stripe.
That dude kpg was pimping this hard last year but have not seen him around here in months. Wonder what his thoughts are on this.

#13245 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Who knows what will happen with PSTH. Universal Music is a big deal but nothing like Stripe or the like. I would have to think that people are looking at this as a let down. The SPAC was for 20/share, so let’s see what happens.

I like the target, I hate how much it looks like he paid for it.

Might be way off base but, it feels like it’s a value play at a growth price. In 2021, “growth price” has not been something you want to pin to yourself.

I’m sure Bill will be fine though.

#13262 2 years ago

Ewww investorplace.

Not selling anybody, again just discovered this yesterday. You do what you want. Name me 3 current kid (under 15) video game phenomenons besides Roblox? I can name 1 other
https://investorplace.com/2021/06/roblox-rblx-stock-has-a-legitimate-shot-at-doubling-by-2022/

#13266 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

The story gets worse in my opinion. This is for buying a 10% of Universal Music Group with some of the funds, and that PSTH would look to tie up with another company with the rest. UMG is still looking to IPO later this year. Don't like this as all. Hard Pass!
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/03/bill-ackmans-pershing-square-nears-biggest-ever-spac-deal-with-universal-music-source-says.html

I know right? They are using approx $15 of the $20 spac money to buy shares of UMG. UMG is listed in EU as well, so that's fun. Warrants don't transfer and instead stick with psth as they try and find another target for the remaining $5 of $20. They then pull a warrant exchange because of splitting up the spac. What the hell?

oh, and the UMG thing isn't subject to a shareholder vote because of how they went about it, so suck it bagholders.

and finally, the remaining PSTH company will no longer be a spac, since the UMG part satisfies that. Instead it is a SPAR. Avoids all that annoying (to Bill) new spac regulations. (ex: there is now no time horizon for the SPAR. they can hold the funds indefinitely)

Kinda seems like he did this to pull one over on both retail AND the SEC.

Not what I am looking for in my life.

#13270 2 years ago

UMG is a major music company but because it’s owned by the French Vivendi nobody gives a rats ass

Oh I think it is a great company. But by golly Ackman has made this all so convoluted.

Don’t like that it conveniently skirts both investor and regulator input. Deeply Don’t like that to truly unlock value you have to trust ackman for unlimited years and pony up more cash in addition to the warrants.

#13273 2 years ago

#13277 2 years ago
Quoted from PunkPin:

Actually reading further it won't be considered a spac anymore but SPAR is still a separate deal

Agreed. It’s confusing. Easy to mix up the steps in the tango.

The way it is crashing out getting close to NAV…now I am getting tempted to buy even though I don’t like ackman and hate what he did here.

5% downside
Upside? Maaaybe 25% but that’s a 9-18 month commit

On second thought, greener pastures elsewhere.

Someone correct me if I am way off.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
393 posts in this topic match your search for posts by oaken. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oaken.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders?tu=oaken and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.