New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 175889)

Stock Market Traders?

By kpg

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5,969 posts
  • 329 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by Baiter
  • Topic is favorited by 160 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 335 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

76175006-01B4-4CDA-B0FB-C7D65D465CBB (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    B89F269F-C46F-40C5-AE4C-181976788587 (resized).jpeg
    patriot.gif
    20201120_173001 (resized).jpg
    original_258137496 (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 10.39.54 AM (resized).png
    tdoc (resized).JPG
    80ac6c6e8ec0a109316e09e9bea3570c.gif
    I-am-rich-floyd-mayweather-throwing-money.gif
    C88D47F0-041A-4A46-B4C5-125711C7605A (resized).png
    nathan-fillion.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    cEKRbMz.gif
    sell (resized).JPG
    E177DDBA-88C5-4FB5-B34C-FD3137EFED6A (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oaken.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1631 8 months ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

yea I echo mettle64 - there seems to be some conflicting information from different people in the medical fields and I read the same article from the WHO last week, so unless something has changed...

+1

R naught is pretty high too. Not measles high, but higher than flu.

#1668 8 months ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/09/italy-extends-its-quarantine-to-the-entire-country-pm-asks-residents-to-stay-at-home.html
    from article: "The decision was made to protect the most vulnerable people in the country, he said, and the measures will take effect Tuesday and last until April 3."
    This is an overreaction.
    In regards to how contagious it is: https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-03-09/what-we-know-about-grand-princess-docking-coronavirus-quarantine
    3,500 people on a cruise ship and only 21 have it. That's less than 1%. If it was as bad as the media makes it out to be, you would need to add a couple zero's to that number. The data right there shows it isn't highly contagious.
    I'm one who won't go on a cruise ship...all I see is a floating septic tank.

Here’s the thing, how many people have been tested and when was their last test?

1 week later
    #2181 8 months ago

Counter example:

Do you consider shingles to be mild? That’s a reoccurrence/flair up of chicken pox.

On topic, I quasi lucked out in that in my non-retirement account I was called away in January on about half my holdings. Not so lucky in that I initiated an energy position a week before the Saudi / Russia flair up. Oops. About a quarter of my other positions have been absolutely destroyed.

Have been looking for an entry point to put the rest of the funds back to work, but this volatility has made me keep my powder dry. Also, all this shelter in place stuff has put a question mark on our income stream. For better or worse Cash is King for us right now.

#2199 8 months ago

Unemployment claims filed in Ohio:

Last Sunday: 536
    This Sunday: 11,995
    Monday: 36,645

At national level I don’t know if this is priced into the market quite yet.

#2413 8 months ago
    Quoted from LateCenturyMods:

Any company heavily dependent on petroleum feedstock (plastics, tires...) is going to enjoy low materials costs for a while.

Like say, nitrile glove manufacturers? Asking for a friend.

#2449 8 months ago

In particular Burr himself was instrumental in trying to block a law attempting to reform the very activity he is in hot water for.

My understanding is that as long as he maintains the fig leaf of “i operated on public knowledge and not my congressional knowledge” and there isn’t documented proof to say otherwise, he is in the clear legally.

So not criminal, not insider trading...maybe we should make a new phrase and call it pulling a Burr?

3 weeks later
    #3546 7 months ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Are we in the "eye of the hurricane"? The initial blast was brutal. The back end of the hurricane could deliver a longer and more sustained blow. Or, it might just peter out with clearer skies ahead?
    You are going to have an unfunded pension crisis get worse, along with local and state governments trying to figure out how they are going to make up lost revenue. Govt Pension funds are way down and $5.2 trillion of pension debt could swamp states on the heals of this shutdown. Alaska, California, Connecticut, Illinois etc. etc. etc.
    Thinking out loud here.

I don’t like bearish iceman44 . I need that positive brovado to be the counterbalance to my negative Nancy tendencies.

1 month later
    #4105 6 months ago

Make sure to also mention nanoscale crypto currency algorithms somewhere in there.

1 week later
    #4203 6 months ago

I got iceman44 on one shoulder and taylor34 on the other.

#4207 6 months ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

Well frankly iceman has been right and I have not. So maybe you should listen to him, lol.

It’s mostly theoretical anyway. Majority of my speculative money is now in the “bread and mortgage” bucket to protect against if wife also loses her job (as opposed to her current 33% haircut).

1 week later
    #4259 6 months ago
    Quoted from vex:

Does anyone like RIOT blockchain? It has been pretty good for me but not sure where it goes from here.

My glib response whenever anyone asks me about anything having to do with crypto is “I have some tulips to sell you if you are interested.”

#4279 6 months ago
    Quoted from loneacer:

Possibly REITs if you can stand the volatility? REITs like SPG and SKT are up 100% from their lows and still down 50% from where they were in February. They also pay 10-15% yield at the current prices (down from 20-30% at their bottoms). If you believe in the reopening story, they're a good buy. I think SKT said their mall traffic is already back to 80% of normal in some states.

SKT has been a rollercoaster for sure. Lots of money to be made/lost in the volatility. Dividend got suspended as I recall.

1 week later
    #4390 5 months ago

Fruit of the Loom for me. Genius.

1 week later
    #4471 5 months ago
    Quoted from investingdad:

I read that. Poor guy.
    Let's be clear, those strategies are very advanced. For most, it's nearly gambling. Options were originally intended to function as a form of insurance or risk mitigation on an underlying investment.
    A lot of people that play with them don't really understand them.

That is me in a nutshell. I know enough to know I only fully understand and am comfortable with the simple dividend enhancement and risk mitigation strategies of covered options.

Anything more complex is beyond my comfort zone and is where I would pay someone like Iceman to have his finger on the pulse and do those trades for me.

And you will never see me do anything on margin. Ever. Just ain’t my cup of tea.

1 month later
    #4604 4 months ago
    Quoted from jester523:

I'm looking to convert to a 15. Loan officers seem overwhelmed right now. Been having trouble getting a hold of the one who helped with my last mortgage.

Mine is easy to get a hold of...problem is my bank is a good 75-100 basis points above market rate at this point. (Hence him being available).

I have just been making a couple extra payments to shave a few years off.

#4612 4 months ago

Yep. This morning my local bank is at 3.75 for a no points 20 yr refi. Bankrate has randos at around 3.00 for no points.

#4620 4 months ago

Every time I look at TSLA I tell myself they are way overvalued...and then it shoots up another 50%.

#4623 4 months ago

It’s a “trailing stops activated” kind of day

1 week later
    #4652 4 months ago

Looks like cruise lines are being taken out to the woodshed again thanks to Norwegian.

Fun speculative play, and I know it has worked out well for others, but I am too squeamish to play it.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/coronavirus-outbreak-norway-cruise-ship/

1 week later
    #4694 3 months ago

It has been a curiosity to watch RKT. Is it an innovator/disruptor or a traditional company? The valuations at $25+ only make sense if it’s a disruptor.

I would be tempted at that $16 and change price point, but with what the macs just did...probably will have to fall a bit below that before I would think to nibble.

I guess I am just more interested in other sectors of the market and it would really have to move to turn my head.

1 week later
    #4726 3 months ago

Good call.

It does appear that the survey says it’s a disruptor. Traditional metrics do not apply.

Was and still is not in my personal comfort zone.

1 week later
    #4813 3 months ago

Probably because it ran so high so fast before earnings.

Also, they basically announced awhile back what their earnings were going to be to try and drum up support. (It worked bigly)

#4853 3 months ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Ice is right. I bought some RKT and AMZN around noon today. I will take these easy drops as opportunities to rebuy.

Also initiated a position in AMZN. 1/3rd today and will buy the rest of my allocation if it continues to go down.

Buckle up.

#4943 85 days ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

For what it is worth, I bought another good whack of RKT on Friday. I had sold 1/3 last week when we were at 32.61, and went and bought more ( a bigger tranche than I sold) at 24.47.

The Susquehanna note on RKT did have a nugget or two that has been basically my position on the stock from the beginning. Valuations north of $25 really only make sense if it is evaluated as a tech company as opposed to a mortgage company.

Obviously they lean hard on traditional mortgage company angle. I find the tech argument more persuasive, but am concerned enough to put my tech money elsewhere for now. Definitely watching with lots of interest.

More power to DBLM and others that are playing in this space. I am cheering for you from the sidelines.

1 week later
    #5020 78 days ago

I remember trying to get in as fast as I could on the BABA ipo and thinking how crazy it was shooting up. And that wasn’t even remotely close to what this thing just did.

Pure insanity.

#5040 77 days ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

Alomst got there today

Next leg of my buy in activated today. Always did love rollercoasters....

#5067 76 days ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Regardless of politics, I thought RBG was an incredibly thoughtful and sincere Justice. I always got the sense that she was trying to do what she thought was right. She lead an incredible life and will definitely leave a void on the Supreme Court.

Very well said.

#5131 72 days ago

Kinda having my mind blown by this backdoor Roth IRA tip. Excited and embarrassed I didn’t know about it.

It’s like ordering off the not so secret menu for the first time.

#5210 68 days ago

So much rot at Wells Fargo. Even if they are free and clear going forward, there is a potential minefield of past malfeasance.

I like visa/MasterCard and fintech over big banks, and pretty much any other big bank over Wells Fargo.

#5216 67 days ago

Cramer is really good at making yesterday's news more entertaining, but his show's financial value is similar to the nutritional value of circus peanuts.

#5221 67 days ago

Well on the positive side, this week I completed all the steps for the backdoor Roth. Will see at tax time if I did it right, but it was pretty straightforward.

If it’s all in the clear, this is something we will do yearly until they change the rules of the game again.

Pinside Lounge taught me something. I should frame that or put it on a shirt.

#5245 66 days ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

As the CEO of Campbell’s Soup, are you intentionally making these types of puns?
    https://apple.news/A3x9s8oHyQOuckV63yFpl7A
    It’s a Wall Street Journal article about food companies still trying to catch up with production demands and what may or may not be getting made so they can focus on the most in-demand items.
    [quoted image]

Took me a bit, but now I see it.

#5249 66 days ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

I don’t see any post by Gambit recently in this thread of major consequence???

Thread has been cleaned up a bit to stop the derailment.

On topic, man is tech sloshing around lately. I am enjoying it.

#5286 62 days ago

From market perspective, Senate business is potentially impacted. Might mean that if there is a negotiated and agreed to new relief bill, then the senate may have to delay a vote on it.

#5291 62 days ago

Below is from Calculated Risk blog. The movement has been unprecedented.

563E7380-383D-4584-8F24-4AB37A2394DF.png
    1 week later
    #5349 51 days ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

It sounds like the Apple IPhone 12 has 5G capabilities and a new glass that is 4x less likely to crack.

If my toddler could talk she would say “challenge accepted”.

#5363 49 days ago
    Quoted from Oaken:

So much rot at Wells Fargo. Even if they are free and clear going forward, there is a potential minefield of past malfeasance.

Recent wrongdoing:

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/wells-fargo-fires-dozens-for-alleged-abuse-of-covid-relief-program/

1 week later
    #5400 38 days ago

Covid panic part 57

#5418 36 days ago

I lowered my cash position a tad by buying some aapl, but plan to sit tight from here on in.

Will take a lot more pain until we are down to back up the truck levels. Truck is ready if needed.

#5423 36 days ago

EPD has been a temptation for awhile now. Not as sexy as tech...but that can be a good thing!

#5474 34 days ago

Like I said, need more pain before I cost average in some more.

Just have to keep telling myself “pain is good. Pain is good.”

#5492 31 days ago

Skt was unloved prior to the pandemic (in my opinion unduly so). In the pandemic they were taken out to the woodshed like so many others.

suspending their dividend certainly hurt, but hopefully allows them to survive.

Long term best case they work towards restoring their dividend and crawling back to where they were. That would still be a 2-3 bagger for those that get in now. Honestly though, I see that as a long shot.

In the mean time totally at the whim of the pandemic response. Could get some nice pops and get some nasty drops based on things entirely out of their control. It’s a gamble.

#5523 28 days ago
    Quoted from loneacer:

Aren't they saying there's two run-off seats for the Senate that will still decide that? And those won't be decided for months?

Yeah, but even at most a 50-50 split will mean nothing aggressive gets thru.

Wall Street loves gridlock.

What I find funny is going into the week it was “rally due to big wave meaning lots of stimulus”. Then it was “rally because everything stays the same”. Then it was “rally because gridlock is good.”

#5551 24 days ago

To the moon we go!

#5573 23 days ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

The earnings appeared to exceed expectations so in a normal world one would expect the stock go up. Though the after hours price is doing the opposite so far.

Going out on a limb but:

Fintech is tech and tech is hated right now? Check you watch, tech hate could turn on a dime.

Also, they aren’t even a year old and they are buying back stock already? Not the spice I am looking for in a sexy new shiny thing.

Edit: I think it’s a great company in general FYI No good feel on a fair price for the stock though

#5651 17 days ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

The Moderna vaccine appears to be a success. Look for another big up market day. Disney and MAC are going up.

Good news, especially the storage temperature, but man am I getting tired of science by press release.

That being said, gogo ditch stocks!

#5751 14 days ago

dblm what are your thoughts on the Affirm ipo?

#5781 12 days ago
    Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

Is anyone using asset management services? I’m nearing the point where I don’t have the time, energy or expertise to manage my investments efficiently so maybe turning into a professional makes sense. So if you have an opinion, or advice on what to take into account when deciding on this I’d appreciate that. Thanks!

iceman44

#5807 10 days ago
    Quoted from Barakawins1:

Seems like FSR and RKT don't really go up. Posted minor losses for a while. Not sure these are going to go up any time soon. Anyone else feel the same or
    are both wait and ride it out stocks?

Re rkt: see iceman44 vs dblm posts for the bear and bull cases.

1 week later
    #5945 1 day ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

CRM is down over 10% right now, I may jump on that.

I say thank you very much for the kind offer salesforce. Will gladly take the other half of my slack payout when it comes and 100% reinvest it in crm.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 269.00
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 339.00
    $ 249.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 62.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos LLC
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 88.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 58.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    DBC Pinball
    $ 65.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    Arcade Upkeep
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 159.00
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 17.00
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    $ 33.50
    $ 5,999.99
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 17.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 9.95
    $ 125.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oaken.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside