counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
hawks.gif
IMG_7782 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5101 Roth conversion advice. Posted by iceman44 (3 years ago)

Post #19981 How To Read US Debt Clock Posted by pinnyheadhead (5 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider methos.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#39 7 years ago

Invested in mutual funds via 401K years ago, and have built a nice portfolio. Currently with Fidelity, and while my choices are somewhat limited, I watch them.

My trigger right now is the AMT.What a crock of shit. I remember learning about during tax classes, but to actually see it in action is real bitch. The max of $18K a year is also a scam. I can't believe this is how our tax laws are structured.

Anyone else know anything on how to lessen it besides quitting my job? I pay a shitload in property taxes in WI and it gets me nothing.

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from investingdad:

Whysnow,
Set an equity to bond ratio based upon your age and comfort level, invest in mutual funds that meet that ratio, and then set it and forget it.
Investing is only complicated if you make it so.
Never triy to time the markets, just leave your investments the way they are based upon the ratio that you set.

An old trader once told me, "When the market dips, that means things are on sale".

He used to time the market and then realized his gains after tax and short term capital gains, wasn't very good. However, like Whysnow, everything I have is in Fidelity as well and there isn't too much that we can do. When you say set a equity to bond ration, I assume you mean stocks to cash or equivalent cash securities without any risk correct?

1 month later
#338 7 years ago

I have some money that has to sit for 2-3 months. Hate to not have it grow at all. What would be the best option at this point? Would like to make a little....

4 weeks later
#377 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

That's why Led Zep and the Stones became tax exiles.
It does discourage *me* from working extra hard or overtime because my later dollars are not worth as much.

At least they were not hypocrites like U2 is.

#378 7 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Yet, people on welfare don't need to work for their benefits. I say that in order to collect benefits, one must be neutered or spayed.
Then when you're off welfare and you want kids, you can pay to get it reversed.

Too bad the constitution gets in the way.

1 week later
#400 7 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

My retirement:
Whole life policy
Profit sharing plan
House paid off
Rental condo paid off
Savings
Proceeds from sale of my business
That's my current situation. Real estate isn't paid off yet, but will be before I retire.
What I would like to add:
2 more rental condos
Start 2 more businesses
As I near retirement, my portfolio will shift to produce more income
I'm single now, but if I ever get married, I'm marrying someone with a good career. I saw first hand what marrying a leech does...that will never happen to me.

You'll be dead before you spend all of that equity.

11 months later
#760 6 years ago

I am so tempted to move some of my money in index funds to a safe harbor until the bleeding ends. Is anybody else doing this or just holding on to the wheel tight?

#765 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Hold tight or buy more is the correct answer.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/moneybadger.stocktwits.com/market-crashes-stock-sell-off/amp/
https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/021116/3-reasons-not-sell-after-market-downturn.asp
Did you not see the article I posted a few days ago said the average investor only makes around half of what the market actually returns? It’s because they try to time the market and wind up selling low and buying high.

I did read it and the other articles. However, it's a thinking/feeling disconnect that I have. I don't like to fly even though I realize it's far safer as a mode of transportation than driving. It's difficult when you lose the equivalent of your salary within a few days.

2 years later
#1523 4 years ago

I held off buying...damn.

#1551 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

This is a trading market. You need to be very nimble on what is going on. Apple at 260 was a gift. If you are buying now, trailing stops are your friend.

Picked up some at 289. Wish I had picked up some more.

#1552 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I am a bit resistant to throw everything in near the top. Maybe not the best idea, but I'm risk adverse.

Then just stay in low risk securities. Why keep yourself up at night?

#1582 4 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

Time in the market is key. I bought a public utility stock in 1979, set the dividends to reinvest and basically forgot about it. It has gone from $5.00 in 1979 to 68.98 as of 5 mins ago... the power of time and compounding as each quarter the dividends buy new shares.

Curious, what is your annual rate of return after 40+ years?

#1716 4 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

That is my complaint...news isn't being reported. Conjecture is being reported.
I wish the news media would stick with the facts. Stick with ways to protect yourself. The chances of anyone getting the coronavirus are extremely low, but listening to the news media, one would never know that.

This is what the media has done for decades. If not to sell papers, it's to wield their political sword, whichever way they choose. Somewhere along the line someone suggested that journalist strives to report facts without bias for judgement. That's a myth - always has been, always will be. They're f$%^n parasites.

#1766 4 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Boeing is probably overpriced at $200 at this point in time

It's going to take Boeing a long time to rebound.

#1783 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Because when you are out on unpaid sick leave with the virus, you don't want too many taxes on your payroll that you aren't earning. Should provide a Yuuuuuge boost to the economy.

Payroll taxes are only calculated on earnings, not unearned income due to non paid leave.

#1787 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

It was sarcasm. Sorry forgot the:

Ah, got it.

#1807 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

If fracking stops maybe there’s a silver lining after all.

I'm sure the 1.7 million people who are employed due to fracking don't share your opinion.

#1820 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

The other 300M in the country seeing the destruction of natural resources and the environment don’t agree. I don’t think short term jobs outweigh the future of the land and people that want to live on it. There’s a lot of options in this world to make money. Figure it out.

It's obvious from your posts you can't take it when someone has a different opinion than your own. "Figure it out", "start paying attention", "Deal with It!", and that's just on this page.

Relax dude. It's obvious this whole thing is bothering you, I get it. Hope you get it all under control.

#1827 4 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

I feel for the folks that were looking to retire right now and their 401k’s have been hammered. Hopefully they can hang in there until this market bounces back. We all know it will. The question is when.

If they were close to retirement, hopefully their portfolio was balanced correctly.

#1906 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Saw this comparison[quoted image]

What do you think that means?

#1916 4 years ago

A recession is going to come. Too much value has been lost around the world, and now panic is escalating. Rates have nowhere to going, there is political turmoil everywhere... well, now all the hipsters can see what a real recession is like.

#1919 4 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

The recession was going to happen anyways. You can't shut down major industries and put millions of people out of work, even temporarily, and not see a recession. Regardless of the value of equities, real economic activity (the thing equities used to be a proxy for, before the central banks decided to inflate everything forever) is going to crater. Most of us here on pinside are probably working professionals. Imagine all the people juggling part time jobs while their childcare and kids food mostly comes from public schools. Now the schools are closed and people have to choose between caring for their kids or going to work, if they're lucky enough to even still have a job. And then probably 10% of people are going to have medical bills.

Very true. It's only a matter of time until cash flows run out and bankruptcies will skyrocket as companies won't be able to cover their debt obligations. Then, it will only get worse.

#1952 4 years ago
Quoted from jackd104:

Worry not. It will come back. In 2-3 years.

I hope it's sooner than that.

#1963 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

In all fairness to you, but does it matter? Because if it takes a long-ish time then you get the benefit of being able to buy more shares at a discount. Say you were investing $4K a month, I'd rather get to invest at cheaper prices than if it jumped right back and then all the stocks have a high PE you can buy more shares over this time that stocks will be recovering.
my 2c.
My point unless you are retired they you are likely adding to your holdings over time and it's better to have be buying at lower PEs than higher PEs as shove be evident that you will make more on shares you bought when they are cheaper.

Well, not if you factor in the time value of $. Yes, I'll reap the gains of new cash inflows, but it won't be enough to make up for the loss in % I could have earned had it been in stable slow growing appreciable.

#2060 4 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Alright, so we're contributing to our kid's tax exempt college accounts. I think that's still a reasonable place to put our money, we're 34 with kids at 6 and 3(2). The plan is to put 6k total towards all 3 kids over the next 3 weeks (has to be in by tax time). I figure as much of an averaging as possible over that time would be of benefit, so we're going to put money in 2x per week. The options are limited, but currently I'm planning to put the money into a "aggressive index" plan, hoping to catch the bulk of the growth on rebound.
Anything glaringly bad about that plan?

With how young your kids are, I think it makes sense. Plus you can deduct the contribution on your state tax liability.

#2061 4 years ago

I wouldn't buy into Boeing. They have problems aside from Corona 19.

#2065 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Taxes were cut. All kinds of regulations were reversed. It did not take a genius to make those things happen. Everything for the last three years has been measured on how well the market was moving and always going up. It was jobs and the markets. It was all easy answers. Everything was great.
And now, in one fell swoop, the markets are not doing so hot. Jobs are going to disappear. And now, there are no easy answers. And the market participants don't trust any of easy answers that have been getting floated around.
At first, the virus did not exist. And then when it existed it was not going to be bad. And now that it is bad, it is too late for any chance at controlling it.

That isn't how I first interpreted his comments, but honestly, not interested in a debate. Stay safe everyone.

#2135 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Boeing is down another $18.00 to $110.00.

Can Boeing survive the Max and COVID 19?

#2140 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

The government won't let Boeing fail. They are too engrained in our military and they have too many secrets at the end of the day.

That is probably true, but Airbus seems to be picking up a lot of contracts lately. Boeing's culture is it's problem, and that takes years to change.

#2146 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I worked for Boeing back in the 80s. In '86 I was promoted to shop supervisor ( team lead was not around then). Airbus was just getting started and its first customer was Pan Am (later went bankrupt) that bought 3 Airbus airliners. Just 3. But it was a toe hold for Airbus to supply a slowly going broke company. The other airline companies now had a chance to see Airbus in action. By now, everybody knows the history. Airbus is serious completion. But at the point in time is was no so readily apparent; To some.
I had to go to a "new supervisor" training meeting. There was some upper mid-level manager running the meeting. Someone asked him about Airbus and Pan Am. etc. This mid-level idiot proceeded to laugh at the questioner and say that Airbus was no threat to the mighty Boeing; Something to that effect. The point is that Airbus sneaked in and Boeing management was asleep at the switch. Boeing is used to pushing its weight around in the aircraft market place for parts and everything else. The hubris of management finally caught up with it.
And while Boeing goes to the government with hat in hand, the ousted CEO walked away with a 40 million dollar pay package. And the taxpayers are going to be called on. Stinks.

The WSJ has had a few articles on the issues with Boeing lately. Who knows what is true and what isn't, but it's almarming even if a portion of it is.

I listened to the President's press conference today. Delayed tax payments, money to every American, big stimulus bill coming, this county is going to go bankrupt if some common sense doesn't kick in.

#2148 4 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

There is no limit to the number of IOUs they will write with our kids names on them

It's sad. Trump is just pushing this mass spending to prop up his polls and increase his chance of re-election. And you're right, we'll be long gone but our kids and their kids will suffer because of these short sighted decisions. I guess if you don't have kids, you might not care as much, but for those of us that do, it's depressing.

#2156 4 years ago

Politics aside - and not stating an opinion on what he is doing .....
He is in a no-win situation with people that do not like him. There is nothing he can do to make his haters happy.
If he was not pushing the spending, they would be saying "people and businesses are hurting and he is not doing enough"

They will say it anyway.

#2198 4 years ago

Well, I finally bit the bullet and cashed out a third of my portfolio. There is nothing that shows that this is going to slow. Sucks - but I least i'm diversified in my loss.

#2230 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Under 19k now

Down to 10k by end of the week?

#2272 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

It’s funny, I’m 42 and have a lucrative career. It used to be my ambition to retire in my mid fifty’s with a sum that would allow me to never work again. As I get older, I don’t think that is my plan anymore. 2 years ago I bought my dream house, which was incredibly expensive but a tremendous investment opportunity as it was significantly under valued. I have to pay this off, but I think I should be able to in the next 15 years or so while maintaining my current lifestyle. This is a long way around the horn to say that not only do I need to work for a while, but that I want to work longer. I enjoy what I do and take great pride in my work. My technical counterpart that I worked with for the past 4 years just retired at the age of 76. He has several millions of assets so has not needed to work for a while. However, he loved meeting with clients with me and said that work kept him young. I am meeting more and more people that are telling me similar things. I guess I will see how things play out as I get older but my thoughts on this have really started evolving over the last 6 months or so. Is anybody else having similar thoughts about wanting to work longer?

My situation is very similar to yours, even with the larger house that was under-valued. I think back a few years to a co-worker who just could not wait to retire. He was really skilled with picking investments and monitored them daily. He finally retired.

3 months after he left, he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and was dead within 6 months. Made me reprioritize my life a bit. I really wanted to get out in my mid 50's, but with this now, who knows what will happen. I'm thankful for being alive and semi enjoying my job, we'll see where things go from here. But as soon as I can comfortable leave the workforce, I'm going to do it.

#2291 4 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

As a gen x’er, this is the third big market disaster to take place during my working career (dot com bust, Great Recession, and whatever we end up calling this). I’ve made plenty of mistakes along the way. I just thought about the fact that this is the first meltdown to impact the Millennials. They must’ve thought that the market was easy money looking at their 401Ks over the last 10 years. I wonder if they’ll stick it out or panic like many of us have done in the past.

I'm also a gen x'er. I can remember the recession of 83 a little bit as my parents were in it, so take the other three and that's 4 we've have experience on. Some co-workers and I were discussing how the younger Millennials and the Zoomers, this is going to be eye opening. It's been 10 years since the employment is going to go where it is. Will be a shock for some for sure.

#2292 4 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

I’m losing track of the number of coworkers I’ve had that have died in their 40s-60s. Literally worked until they died. About a month ago our CEO had a headache and went to the doctor. He was told he has aggressive brain cancer and won’t live a year. I don’t want that to be me.

Here is the thing. That could be you and I, and chances are it will be at least one of us. My son's company's CEO also just died, a very young and well respected man. Same thing, aggressive cancer.

Quoted from DBLM:

This is why you have to live now because we have no idea what the future holds. I hear a lot about the FIRE movement but frankly, it does not provide for the lifestyle that I want for myself and my family. My wife and I bought this house and a boat several years beforehand because we decided we wanted to enjoy some of the fruits of our labors while we are young. Does this mean we have to keep working? Sure. But we both like what we are doing and get to live our life now as opposed to waiting for retirement. And if I was to stroke out tomorrow, at least I got to enjoy it while I could and my wife and daughter would be taken care of.

That is our line of thinking as well. We upgraded our house a few years ago with some land. Sure, if we stayed were we where, we wouldn't have a mortgage right now, but we wanted to enjoy life a bit and always wanted some land to stretch our legs on. Plus the serenity of a very rural area is priceless.

Come to think of it, we've lost more $ in the last 2 weeks than our first two homes cost combined. LOL!

#2379 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Technically not illegal but it is bullshit. All of the senators involved from both sides should go!

If it was illegal, they should be prosecuted.

#2431 4 years ago

Is it possible for the entire World Economy as we know it to fall apart?

It's possible. Then all that matters is gold and raw materials.

#2516 4 years ago

It's still sinking....761 down.

#2518 4 years ago

This has no signs of slowing down, the world is shutting down, and depending on how the election goes, we could see a major depression for years to come with slow growth polices The Fed is powerless at this point, inflation is staring us in the face with all this $ being pumped in, and the national debt is going up faster than a test missile fired from NK. Any signs of hope are far and few between.

#2617 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

While not as outrageous as Bezos begging for humanitarian donations for his poverty-wage employees, my favourite brazen request for government money has to be from Hobby Lobby. (The company that was bizarrely found trafficking in ancient Iraq artifacts)

Where is your source?

#2660 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Nope. The feds are helping people and companies. And it’s not a “bailout” if it’s something that these companies are (a) doing because it’s necessary to prevent disaster and (b) not their fault. 2009, now THAT was a bailout.

Agreed. The collapse of 2009 was mainly due to bad loans, shaky securities, and just ill conceived borrowing and the like. 2020 is a bit different in that things were mostly strong.

My concern is still the size of the debt and what will happen to future generations, but nobody seems to give a shit about it.

#2667 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

This is what bugs me, corps get tons of money, poor get a little money, in the middle? Well you are out of luck so sorry so sad, you should have saved some money because you make more than minimum wage. How about we reverse this line of thinking everyone gets $1200 including executives, and then we see who the real geniuses are.

And what would happen if nothing was given to the businesses? Debt obligations come calling, the banks and notes are foreclosed on, bankruptcies are next, those who have their retirements invested lose it all, and the workers are out of a job.

Not saying all the pork grab is warranted or legit of course, but it's important to view the whole thing holistically.

#2680 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

It is chicken and egg. People need money to live. If this govt. thing works. you get the money, and mortgage relief in that you cannot be kicked to the curb, etc. But I don't know how far $1200.00 will last for a single person living in New York or L.A.
But you also need the business to stay alive any way possible so you can get back to work. If does not one no good to get gift. help if their job/company go tits up.
Bottom line. A lot of people/ companies are going to get some money they don't need. But trying to be fair will be difficult. But the big Corporations will have to jump thru some accountability hoops so the money does not just fly away.

With one week to create a 2 trillion dollar package? None of us can fully realize, despite our experience or education or confidence levels, how much 2 trillion dollars is. Future generations will be paying for this for decades. The standard of living will be reduced as time goes on because of this.

It's a high price.

#2724 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

The fed has indicated they are willing to have "Unlimited" stimulus to do what they can.
Something stinks about all of this right now. Then they want to rush the opening up of everything in a couple of weeks? Risk making matters worse rather than let the storm pass?
If this backfires, and chances are it will, then things can get uglier.. even faster than we saw a couple weeks ago. People have such short memories. They see green days in the stock market and all is well again... When it goes down they see blood. Amazing how the stock market can change a persons sentiment almost immediately. People seeing this rally over the last few days may even think the virus is going away now..

What is happening is emotions and hysteria are leading to knee jerk reactions in both parties. This stimulus is a train wreck and will hurt our country for decades to come. And the "unlimited" stimulus is easy to throw around when it isn't your money. Both parties want votes and power, and will spend our children's children's children (Moody Blues reference) for the votes.

#2766 4 years ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

That probably is true especially when they say 80% has mild or no symptoms. If the death rate increases drastically then folks will pay attention.
I still cant believe how many people are out and about here in Michigan. I thought it would be a ghost town when I went to get milk.
I do think the stock market will drop tomorrow for various reasons including the increased cases

It's starting to become more accepted that the number of "infected" is much larger than previously thought (i.e. NBA testing as a statical example), but that the vast majority never even know. Where are the infected children?

If it is a mortality rate of .05%, things will pick up very quick.

#2768 4 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

You know, I've heard a couple other people throw out stuff like that. It's horse****. While the number of infected is clearly significantly higher than the number tested positive in the US, there's almost no possible way it's anywhere close to .05%. The cruise ship had 8 people die on it out of 700...everyone was tested on that ship. If it was .05%, not even 1 person should have died. And then you have that retirement home in Washington where a ton of residents passed away and I think there was only 80 of them.
Two clear examples where everyone was tested and the mortality rate was above 1%.
If the mortality rate was really that low, why would it be flooding the New York hospitals now?
South Korea tested the crap out of everyone. They're around .6% mortality rate. I think that is probably about where it's at on a normal population, the cruise ship was older but not nearly as old as you might think. BUT....that's only if the hospitals don't get overran.

The Senior Center in WA only substantiates the lower mortality rate, they were dying already and just happened to have C19. You're right on the Cruise Ship, that is a little more suspect because of the lower sample size. For NY, it must mean that a majority of the City is infected already. We won't know for a bit, but it could be that the mortality rate is much lower, and that is due to the large number of people who are infected, but hasn't been recorded yet because the lack or targeting of testing. We just don't know yet.

#2800 4 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Go do some reading on the boglehead forums. These guys will keep you on your long term strategy and talk you out of making mistakes you'll regret.
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=5af8a85261a4634f406add48667b2161

I haven't been over there in years, but just did a quick walk though.

Wow.

Their C19 thread makes ours look like a playground.

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=305217&start=3850

#2805 4 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

I skimmed a couple pages of it and they seem a bit more civil
I don't go there often, don't even have an account there, but they're a calming influence during market turmoils. Lots of folks with multi-million dollar retirement accounts post there.

You can tell the level of sophistication is a bit..."different". I almost want to take advantage of a "portfolio review request", but I'm a bit apprehensive on the feedback.

#2807 4 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

I think their standard answer is your entire portfolio should be in some combination of total stock market, total bond market, and total international market. For most people (myself included), that's probably the best bet, but it sure is boring.

Agreed. I have a rough understanding of Boglehead philosophy, and it's probably the most logical way but you're right, it isn't much fun.

#2918 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

...not sure why this was moderated. He's talking about 2 very accepted terms for the growth spurts and not blaming anyone.

He probably mentioned an unmentionable word.

#2953 4 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

If the loser liberals don't harass me, I'll post.
They harass, I'm out of here.

All the noise should be in the other thread. Hope you stick around.

#3070 4 years ago

It depends on what type of an employee/job description with regards to working at home. Personally, I hate it and would never do it, nor do I like employees to do it. If I had a sales team, that might be different and probably would want them to work from home, but their results can be measured easily.

If it was a service type industry or project management, for all I know they could just be on Pinside all day.

#3073 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

It definitely isn't for everyone. Some people need the socialization. Some people have too many distractions, etc. For some, work at home means no daycare, so they are dealing with their kids all day. Took awhile to train my wife that I was not her errand boy during the day.

If they are dealing with their kids all day, how can they be productive?

I could never do it personally for various reasons. However, I have found the productivity for the general employee decreases exponentially when they work from home. Again - these are not sales or project manager positions. Plus it seems that the level of education also is an indicator for success.

#3219 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I'm thinking some sideways action for a little while. It will be interesting to see if Prez pushes the April 30 date farther out.

That is still three weeks away, and the dailies coming out of Europe are encouraging, although if the world acts like China has, the 2nd wave will hit hard. But by then, the pressure on the hospitals should lessen.

#3274 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Alcohol induced vitriol. He's like a chocoholic, but with alcohol. Nothing to see here...

I disagree. Just because he doesn't have a snowflake mentality doesn't make it cruel in nature. He's just a bit more positive and it's always fun to read.

#3279 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Sure if needlessly insulting those you disagree with every other post is 'positive and fun to read' for you...

If you're too sensitive, just put him on ignore.

#3294 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Nope, I'll just continue to call him on his bs. Oh that's right, he put me on ignore. Can't handle truth. Or maybe he's just too sensitive.
On topic, I believe this tweet that went out today is the reason for the push over 23k a few hours ago. Strange. Feels like manipulation more than positivity.
"Once we OPEN UP OUR GREAT COUNTRY, and it will be sooner rather than later, the horror of the Invisible Enemy, except for those that sadly lost a family member or friend, must be quickly forgotten. Our Economy will BOOM, perhaps like never before!!!"
Posted in #twitter-stream | Today at 10:02 AM
And I'm simply pointing out a possible reason for the uptick. Something I'm always trying to follow and understand the reasons for the movements of the market.

Maybe because Sanders ceased his campaign?

#3295 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Thank you Methos, POSITIVITY is a great thing brother!!
No vitriol intended, just poking a little a fun at KPG and he can take it like he dishes it out. People need to lighten it up man! There is enough doom and gloom out there.

It is interesting how character traits manifests when a crisis hits. Some will remain positive and "carry on", others will coward and recluse, and others will get angry and defensive. Sometimes we ourselves don't know how we're going to act...

I enjoy KPG's posts (very informative) and your own. Debate and discussion is good and healthy. If others can't handle it, put em' on ignore or move to a "safe zone" thread.

#3300 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I was trying to be open minded as I don't truly know, but yes, I agree, I didn't think he was still relevant in the race.

True, but probably ends an chance (or reduced it) of a hostile nomination/convention.

#3308 4 years ago

It's all about the access to capital when things reopen. That is what will indicate the speed of the recovery. Not access to labor or markets or industrcture etc, ....but capital.

#3348 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

In the end it will come from Generations Y, Z, and beyond.

And their kids. No one cares any more. Keep those pressers running.

#3399 4 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

It’s still so early in the ballgame. But even so, 10,000 dead Americans and 16 million having filed for unemployment over the last four weeks is BAD.

Many people were saying it was going to be 1.3-2 million Americans. Even the Feds said 230,000 dead in months.

#3449 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:Roku up big after hours on prelim numbers
TTD following
20 day and 50 day moving averages all that is relevant Right now
Market held support at 2730 closing at 2735, on the way to 2650 if that level doesn’t hold and then a possibility to fill the gap down to 2450
Great businesses with excellent balance sheets and little to no net debt win
Liquidity is awash all over the marketplace
If current levels hold shorts are gonna experience another round of short term pain!

Lots of talk about lifting the stay at home bans. If that gets some lift, we could see an uptick.

#3454 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Scaled into some airliner stocks today. Seems they are the laggards over this rally to be honest, and haven't realized their bounce like the rest of the other beaten down sectors.
Of course, for justifiable reasons. Airline business has been significantly impacted so people are fearful to invest in them, and rightfully so.
Warren Buffet even sold most of his Airliners... In fact, it may be an example of him selling on fear vs his trademark "buy when fearful, sell when greedy" standpoint.

Apparently United has sent a few hundred plans to the desert to die with no plans to bring them back. This could be an early retirement or just offloading assets no longer needed to save on M&U. My guess is that the airlines don't expect to get back to "normal" for a year or two.

#3464 4 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Maybe take the write down now while the government is "promising" some AMAZING and BEAUTIFUL help, they say show hey look, we had to mothball all these aircraft DURING the crisis...?

It was to alleviate a softer demand for the long term.

#3468 4 years ago

Movie theaters are going the way of the horse and carriage.

#3480 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

One of the nice things about where I live, none of those things is usually an issue. There's something about going to the theater that is still better than watching it at home - even on large tv's - but I'm picky about what I'll go drop that kind of money on, and most just aren't worth it.

I just went to see the TCM King Kong movie in theaters. It was a different experience, especially seeing a very small format (4x3?) projected on a large screen.

Sadly, there were 10 people in the audience. Nobody cares anymore, it's a dying business.

#3559 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Is part of the 'positive' sentiment in the market because stockholders tend to like layoffs? I've always found this whole thing counterproductive because in almost all cases if you're cutting workers, you aren't doing very well, but yet stockholders love it.

Well, the labor market was so saturated, that I wouldn't be surprised if a bit of higher unemployment wouldn't be seen as a positive move.

#3679 3 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

Devastated here Looks like we may have lost one of our great air carriers = less competition = higher prices.
Really sad because they were great to fly with.
Appears shareholders lost everything.
Are you guys expecting any of your air carriers to fall over ?
[quoted image]

I would guess the larger ones will survive, but the budgets are probably done. Frontier, Spirit, Sun Country, etc.

#3780 3 years ago

Bankruptcy, if it has to bail out the states.

#3829 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

There are rumors that they may not reopen the parks until 2021.

This isn't true. They are already talking of plans to open. That rumor is from some analyst that popped off.

#3855 3 years ago
Quoted from taz:

I know, it's crazy! As I type this Boeing is up about 6% after announcing that they'd burned through $4.3B in cash last quarter and their flawed commercial airliner recertification has been pushed back to late Summer. Airlines are cancelling orders, Boeing's cutting staff, and their primary airliner's future just slid further into regulatory purgatory, meanwhile in upside down world their stock climbs in value.
Disney continues to climb too while most of their assets are closed down. I guess it's all in anticipation of a return to more normal conditions, but it's all too rich for my blood right now. Home sales also crashed 21% in March. I've been wrong on every instinct I've had for the past 5 weeks. Still, I sense a big correction is inevitable in the not too distant future, perhaps after next quarter losses arrive based on 3 months in this quagmire instead of only 1 month. Maybe that instinct will be wrong too, like all of my others and upside down world is the new normal.

They all need to shed jobs and it looks like that some are doing just that. We're going to see much higher unemployment for the next few years, but that isn't such a bad thing.

Once they lean themselves, the road to recovery will begin. Disney will be just fine although I am assuming most of their capital improvements will be delayed.

#3930 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Oh, yeah. Buffett sold all of his airline stocks. He is back on train time.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/02/warren-buffett-says-berkshire-sold-its-entire-position-in-airlines-because-of-the-coronavirus.html
“I don’t know that three, four years from now people will fly as many passenger miles as they did last year,” he said. “You’ve got too many planes.”
” .....

I think he's dead on with that assessment.

#3944 3 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Mind boggling to think that the economy has been shut down for nearly 2 months, we have 30+ million people unemployed and the Nasdaq is only down 1% for the year.
The Fed is in a helicopter hovering over Wall Street shoveling cash at anything and everything!

It isn't shut down.

#3949 3 years ago

Me after seeing that Disney had a huge earnings miss, cut their dividend and the stock is up today..[quoted image]

You might want to shift your perspective to look at the bigger picture instead of short term. The economy has slowed, but it hasn't "shut down". Factories and construction and retail are still taking place, especially construction which has tamped up. Big difference between slow down and shut down.

As far as Disney, plans are underway to reopen and furloughs have been made for now.

2 weeks later
#4148 3 years ago

How many Americans are 70 or over?

2 weeks later
#4310 3 years ago

I think we will have a sell off tomorrow.

Not happening yet.

#4344 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Plus, it has come out that 70 testing sites were destroyed during the protests.
Good luck, all.

Wow.

1 week later
#4493 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Actually the bigger question/issue is, will half of the country accept the election outcome? I can see some unrest with either candidate being elected, unless it's a landslide margin.

Half the country didn't accept the election results 3 years ago. Nothing new and the market and the economy continued.

#4523 3 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Don't think you're right. Presidents and markets are loosely correlated.

Until their policies are enacted.

3 weeks later
#4607 3 years ago

I went with paying down the mortgage refinanced at 2.9% for long term security in case our career situation changes.

1 month later
#4718 3 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Tesla is a gamble on the future. Their batteries and self driving software could be the world standard. Then again, maybe not. I'll tell you what I do know. Millennial's bet on the future and their dollars are pushing this stock. I am sure this will run to $500 post split. These younger investors don't fully understand market cap. That $400 dollar share is going to look like a bargain to them. Is it a good buy? - no. Is it going to go up some more before correcting? - yes.

You gotta wonder at what point the big auto manufacturers get their products into the market and take over? I know their track record is spotty over the past few decades, but they do seem to take out competition out quick easily.

#4737 3 years ago

Thanks Ice.

2 weeks later
#4895 3 years ago

How do you guys know when to bail? When I see appreciation, I just leave it.

#4927 3 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Your

You’re missing my point. An average investor should be able to double their wealth in 7 years. Buffet did and does. You can buy Berkshire and be better off than Vanguard 2045. Just don’t sell yourself short. There is Money to be made. Why not make more of it....

Vanguard has a great history and I subscribe to the Boglehead theory myself. I keep 95% of my value with index funds of different sorts. You're right, there is $ to be made, but there is also money to be lost.

#4965 3 years ago

Bought some more APPL and PINS today since it's sale time!

1 week later
#5105 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

You can't withdraw the money until you reach retirement age, but when you withdraw the money you do not pay income tax and you do not pay capital gains.
W

Not for much longer.

#5154 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Also, the reason salaries and taxes are higher in more densely populated areas is because of supply and demand, not because the local government is squandering the tax revenue.

I wouldn't agree with that....not all the time.

#5168 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I feel there is too much deduction for dependents. Why should we be in the business of shorting the federal government (your words) for overpopulating? These types of disagreements on fairness could go on forever. I know we pay more than if we divorced and still lived like we are married. I have run the numbers. Double income and no kids is unfair in many ways but I would be happy with just the SALT deductions.

I'm not as familar with SALT as I should be, but isn't that a deduction for middle and upper class more than anything? I thought at some point the AMT kicks it all in the ass anyway.

Regardless, we're all in for higher taxes in the next few years....and honestly, I'm ok with that.

#5189 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Here's what i need everybody to do. Go to Seekingalpha.com, and start plugging in names like CCL, SPG, MAR, LUV, you name it, any beaten down "in the ditch stock".
Then look at the JUNE 8th spike on every single one see that spike, then look at the PRE COVID 52 week highs.
IF you can reason with yourself and conclude that JUST MAYBE, on the announcement of a vaccine that's coming SOON, then can that particular stock just simply get back to the JUNE 8th spike?
Go through the list, do that exercise, and then pick what YOU like, don't go by what i say. I'm just pointing out the potential strategy.
And again, it might be early, BUT you can't wait until after the VACCINE is announced folks.
Tick tock

CCL was 45 preCV and is now 14. IF it gets back to where it was, that's a 320% swing. It's a gamble, but.....

It's like doubling down on 11.

2 weeks later
#5333 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

TTD and SE hit new highs.
See you soon!

TTD has been rocking.

3 weeks later
#5529 3 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

At least 34 Senate seats will be on the ballot in 2022 (12D and 22R) with 3 of the most vulnerable incumbent Rs Burr, Johnson and Toomey already declaring they wont run

And history shows the party out of the white house adds seat in the next election. Gridlock is good and the market is reacting.

#5593 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

By “debunked” you mean ignored Lol

Spot on.

#5606 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

I expect lots of gridlock and money printing... so the rich will get much richer and the future will get mortgaged to death with debt.

I feel sorry for the mess we are leaving for our kids..no doubt about it. There will be money printing, but nothing like what would happen if the dems had no holes barred.

#5664 3 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

Who pissed off iceman44? I wish he'd come back into the thread.

He posted earlier today.

#5786 3 years ago
Quoted from vglohaus:

Long time lurker, first time posting on this topic. All the information you guys share is great. What is the best site/app to buy and sell stocks through? Beginner looking to pick up a few stocks to hold for months/years, definitely not day trading. Any help/advice is much appreciate. Thanks!

I use two. Fidelity and Robinhood. Robinhood is no fees and pretty quick on execution.

#5876 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

PLTR up up 21.85% today! Still holding all of my shares from the IPO price. Good luck to all the longs!

Glad I got in early, but didn't invest enough.

#5884 3 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Someone seems to keep thinking it’s unrelated to the market, but Crypto will boom under Biden and will falter with Trump.

Why is that?

1 week later
#5985 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Internet privacy protocol deal with Apple. Not sure what it really means.
Tik Tok coming back into the picture.
Buyout rumors all over the place.
Told you guys not to drop the ball on FSLY.
Yes i sold 1/2 my PLTR position around $26

Yep.

How about CCL?

1 week later
#6141 3 years ago

Trade Desk is just a money printer of late. Thanks Ice - just skimmed a bit of profits out to buy the Ms. a new treadmill.

#6176 3 years ago

What is the best brokerage that gives flexibility in Roth IRA buying/selling? I want to move my little heap of fun $ into a Roth IRA (after I backdoor it) but Fidelity looks like they only allow fund trading. Any suggestions?

#6228 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

So what is the feel here on converting an IRA to a Roth IRA vs. simply leaving it intact? I know people’s specific situation kind of dictates the decision, but man...there doesn’t seem to be a “clearly best” decision...

I'm converting one now. I was always under the impression that Roth IRAs were not really for me as my tax rate now is higher than it will ever be. Plus, you are only allowed 7k per year, which is peanuts. However, at the rate some of my play money has appreciated this year, the taxes will take a larger amount that I thought.

#6263 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

So I'm fairly new to all of this. Is that to avoid tax on gains by nulling them out with some losses?

Yes, but you have to be careful with matching short term & long term.

#6283 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

It seems like a lot of folks in this thread are newer to investing. My number one piece of advice is to get at a minimum, an accountant and based upon your level of investment, a financial advisor of some sort. Both of these people are worth their weight in gold.
Accountants can make your life easier at tax time and be able to help you with basic strategies.

I respectfully disagree with this. Learn the tax code for yourself. It ain't that hard.

#6284 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I agree to a point of course!
As a CPA I can tell you they don’t know shit about financial planning and don’t get paid to give advice on Roth conversions etc
They are good at counting your taxes, period
As for the financial advisor, they can’t give tax advice and say go talk to your CPA!!!

Exactly. As a CPA myself, very little of the exam is on tax code, most of the exam is on how to report EPS and other bullshit.

The code is easy to understand, at least the basics, unless you have a business.

The internet is a wealth of information.

#6297 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

To each their own. In my particular case, I have need of accountants and advisors.

I should backtrack a bit and say if you have rental property or a bunch of K1s, or other complex ins and outs, yes then it has value to talk to someone who deals with taxes daily. Most of the people that I did taxes for, could have done it themselves, but there is an inherent "willful ignorance" to how taxes work that most of the public has. It's amazing to me how people willfully keep their eyes shut to how it really works. I can't tell you how many times I have had people tell me that the government actually gives them money back (from their refund).

#6331 3 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

IMHO, the main downside of BITCOIN is it is a pure emotional play. It is entire driven in price by the CROWD SOURCED sentiment. Because it has no intrinsic value, the emotions of a million people make the price fluctuate widely. If you catch it while sentiment is down, for whatever reason, and buy, then you will likely make money if/when sentiment goes back up, which it will until the next shiny object appears. At some point that sentiment shifts to the next shiny object, but for the foreseeable future, there are no other shiny objects. You just don't want to be holding it when that shiny object appears...

It has been around and will continue to be so, but there is another thread on it. Could we agree to keep it there?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/somebody-explain-bitcoin-to-me/page/35#post-6047781

#6464 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

The debts racked up over the last four years will have to be paid as we become elderly.

We won't be paying for it. The next generations will have to foot the bill...which now that I'm 50 - I say spend more!

#6474 3 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

It isn't going anywhere. Fed can just print money to pay for it. There is not a fiscally responsible politician left in DC.

There are a handful, but they are shouted down by both parties. Once they are no longer able to pay from revenues all entitlements and all colleges become free and the other free goodies coming from the Dems, then there will be ramifications.

But F it, I'll be gone by then so let the younger generations worry about it.

#6496 3 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

SS needs to be disrupted and rewritten.

There are already plans for that...LOL!

#6535 3 years ago

If my advisor was posting screen shots of my account to a public forum, anonymous or not, no...I wouldn't be happy.
I'd terminate business dealings with them.

Is there any personal information on the screen shot?

#6571 3 years ago
Quoted from spikelou2:

No one goes broken paying taxes .they go broke when the give there gains back and they lose their capital.

LOL!

#6576 3 years ago
Quoted from spikelou2:

Ok this stuff happens when people don’t think there is risk. 24 million people have opened new online trading accounts since covid and the average account size is less than 1500 dollars all chasing the same 10 stocks .

Don't we want people to start saving when they are young, or do you think that investing is only for the wealthy? Really trying to understand your point here.

#6614 3 years ago
Quoted from ovfdfireman:

I always struggle with the statements blaming schools systems for not teaching our kids money management, proper eating, ethical behavior. The schools are here to give general education (English, math, science). Parents need to take some responsibility and teach their kids as well. Money can be private, and teaching you kids how to manage money is important for the long term security and happiness. I am proud of what I have taught my kids, Both my kids took accounting in high school and said it was very basic. I don’t want the school teaching my kids money management, just how to count it. I suppose if money management was so easy we would all be rich!
Parents are ultimately responsible for teaching life skills, schools are general education IMO, higher education then comes at the college level.

No offense, but that train left decades ago. Our society is de-evolving at a revolutionary rate. Just look at the life expediency and believe me, there is a correlation there.

#6659 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Biden was the architect behind the last economic recovery after a recession

What policies did he exactly put into place to foster the recovery?

#6665 3 years ago

I knew Wikipedia was propagandized, but didn't know to this extent.

I was going to make a flippant comment on Joe's ability to maneuver within Ukraine, but I"ll skip it.

#6706 3 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

And you dispute what about that wiki page exactly? Please explain with verifiable facts.

Sure. Hit me up on IM and we can chat.

#6776 3 years ago

My advice is to max your savings, invest in two or three index funds that gives you a good balance of risk (equity and bond holdings) based on age, max your 401k for company match, max your IRA, and do that for the next 25 years. Don't sell, buy monthly regardless of what markets are doing.
Don't play with individual stocks.
Aim for saving 25% of your gross salary and work to make that happen. Marry somebody with similar ideals.
It's how we built a 7 figure portfolio in 16 years and compounded it quickly over the next ten. It's simple, it's boring, it's not what this thread is about. It's not complicated.
If you want to gamble, by all means, ignore my advice.

We didn't put away 25%, but a nice % each year for the past 20 years and it's paid off. Should be able to retire way before 65. I only "play" with the individual stocks with $ I can lose. I would add depending on what your age is, to go more on the aggressive side. I would be in a much better position if I didn't have a sizeable % in conservative funds for so many years. But all in all, this is solid advice.

#6892 3 years ago

yep, the political elite are happy again

As is the CCCP.

1 week later
#7802 3 years ago

Wait until the Wall Street and those running the system complain to all of the politicians they have funneled millions of dollars to for election funds. They're pissed.

#7849 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

On GME... I think some of the platforms are restricting the ability to buy more shares because they are concerned they may not be able to pay out all the money owed on the shares.

It's going up and up and with RH, we're on the outside looking in. BS.

#7950 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Unfortunately, Big Tech, Big Government, Big Banks, Big Hedge Funds, Big Media ALWAYS WINS.
And the little guy gets F Ed! Sad F ing state of affairs to watch how this is going down.
Watch how Bitcoin plays out and all of the future regulation there. It's already starting in the EU.
Free markets and capitalism? LOL

I'm sure the government will step in and level the playfield for us.

#8034 3 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

We are going to find out Robinhood was just a front to feed Retail order flows to Citadel so they could manipulate for their own gain.

Isn't that how they make their profits? By getting a kickback of a cent here and there from each trade?

#8250 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

I have spent most of the day trying to figure out the angles on AMC right now and the answer is there are none. There is not enough short interest to make it hold now, and the price got too far depressed. You still have the Silverlake backstop in the 13s, but that could have already been sold for all we know. You have to figure it will get halted a few times tomorrow based upon people rushing in which disrupts momentum upwards. You might can trade around the edges, but I don’t think you are going to get a big enough run to do damage. With them changing the game today, it broke my thesis. I still am concerned about them issuing new stocks to cover their 17% note from last weekend, and this might be as good as any time since the stock is high. That would make thr shares drop. I am going to sleep on this and see if I can come up with any answers. Anybody else got any thoughts?
I should just stick to selling software, posting gifs, and drinking bourbon.

I'm booking a loss right now on it...not enough to damage, but looking to see when a good time to bail is.

#8570 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I have a Fidelity 401K and brokerage account from a job years ago. As a side note, I rode the WKHS runup late last year, so i intend to fully fund new Fidelity Roth 401'ks for '20 and '21. Seems the Fidelity Roth IRAs are highly respected, from what I can tell.

If you require a backdoor conversion to the Roth for 2020, I think it's too late....at least that is what Fidelity told me this week.

#9277 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

I use Fidelity and I'm happy with them, they didn't do any funky restrictions with the meme stocks. They have and Active Trader app you can download it you want more detailed tracking that I finally started using in December and find really helpful.

Most of my value is in Fidelity. No major complaints.

#9473 3 years ago
Quoted from vex:

Will any of you guys that hate Bitcoin going to be divesting from the companies that adopt it in the future. Are you guys dumping Apple when it buys Bitcoin?

How does one purchase Bitcoin other than converting existing cash?

#9606 3 years ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

Jumped in on MGM, Ice mentioned it. Lots of chatter about it recently.

Hope Ice comes back soon.

#9871 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I took my Jeep out today for some great 4 wheeling

Nothing beats a Jeep for some fun in the snow.

3 weeks later
#10993 3 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Thanks guys! I’ve learned so much thanks to your contributions! I’ve made some good money thanks to this thread, that’s for sure....not talking about GME btw

Best two posters in this thread. Everything else is static.

2 weeks later
#11604 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

I think you are right. Shouldn’t impact him deactivating his account. I am sure he will pop back up.

He will. The Mob went after him on the Deeproot thread - but it's happened before. His advice on this site far exceeds the Mob on any given day.

#11637 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

You pretend it's only that thread lmao. Dude has issues and he does this every 6 months or so. He'll be back.

We all have issues.

Like I said...he provides more that most of the mob combined. A few of them are nothing but negative in every thread they pop in and bring this place down. Sure Ice can be confrontational at times, but he's entertaining and positive.

Time to buy some more PINS and APPL.

5 months later
#14747 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Come on, that was hilarious. I laughed out loud when I read it. He has some great tips and insight for sure, but it's always laced with a bunch of political bs, alot of hyping a few stocks that may or may not end up doing well and tossing out a few unneeded insults to others, that post kinda nailed it in a funny way. He'd probably gain alot more clients if he dropped the bs instead of bragging how his liberal clients put up with it because his advice is so great, those kind of comments just rub people the wrong way.

You that sensitive huh?

#14768 2 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Iceman tip from 2016: "Tesla should be trading at $50 bucks a share right now. One stock I would short with conviction. The Musk con is on its last legs and they won't have the govt giveaways under Trump. The cult nature of Tesla has it hanging in there for now. I'm all for green energy but this company is never gonna make $$$. Who will buy the company when the debt finally swamps them? Nobody at this price."
Had you "shorted with conviction" on this "cult company", you'd now be -$1,500% in the hole, and most certainly very, very deep into financial insolvency.
Again, not picking on anybody nor playing sanctimonious advice wizard. Only pointing out the fallacy of easy money and the simplicity of beating an efficient market with hot tips and obscure charts and market timing.
What businesses/stocks do you personally have faith in and are investing for the long term?

Do we want to go through everybody's tips on this thread and collect stats for successes/failures? Not a bad idea, see who has the highest percentage for getting it right.

"Again, not picking on anyone"...

Yeah - sing a new one.

2 weeks later
#14932 2 years ago
Quoted from tl54hill:

Always thought that if society collapsed completely, probably +95% of us urban and suburban people would not have the survival skills to live without the local grocer and indoor plumbing. I am not sure it is really worth planning for, unless you're a rural survivalist.

The cities would become a bloodbath.

3 months later
#15955 2 years ago

Started to pull everything out last week and finally did the last today. I'll go back in when the bloodbath is over.

#15961 2 years ago

Hell no... if you are invested for the long term don't run away.
Learn from the people who bailed in 2018 or March 2020 only to miss out on the great run of the last few years.
It's going to get ugly but thats part of investing long term.

Not everyone missed on the bounceback gains.

3 months later
#16517 1 year ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Iceman is the only one who is continuing to get filthy rich off the market in these trying times. Don't you know?

And you brought him up why?

1 week later
#16641 1 year ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Looks like it. 2 words: Over correction
Dan Ives:
Dot-Com Bubble 2.0 or a Generational Buying Opportunity in Tech? Tech Playbook. In a nutshell, this is not a Dot-com Bubble 2.0 in our opinion, its a massive over correction in a higher rate environment that will cause a bifurcated tech tape with clear HAVES and HAVE NOTS of tech

Then put your money back in!

Let us know how that works.

#16660 1 year ago
Quoted from kool1:

This is the big worry. That and a lot of inflation has not been caused in the usual domestic way but by supply issues (global pandemic interruptions, shipping and conflict) .

Problems with global supply chains and changes in spending patterns due to COVID have pushed up inflation worldwide. However, since the first half of 2021, US inflation has increasingly outplaced inflation in other developed counties. Estimates suggest that fiscal support measures designed to counteract the severity of the pandemic's economic effect may have contributed to this divergence by raising inflation about 3 percentage points by the end of 2021.

In other words, much of it is self inflicted and will lead to a loss decade as pundits are now calling it.

#16665 1 year ago
Quoted from kool1:

I suspect only a global recession will dampen this inflation.

Or war.

#16697 1 year ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

I'm the in the other camp. It's a big drop off the roller coaster after going so high.

It's going to get a lot worse. Actually, it's probably time for a good ol' depression. From pinball prices, it's obvious that people have too much $ on hand.

3 weeks later
#16754 1 year ago

That being said next few years probably aren't great for real estate either. Most everyone I know in commercial is sitting it out and waiting to see what happens.

All depends on what state you are in. if you are in a state with growth, you should be fine.

#16766 1 year ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Well, the recent gloomy CFO poll puts the odds of recession better than 50/50. I guess the hope of a soft landing is now fading. If they're right we're in for more pain for at least the next 12 months. Inflation needs to brought down and Ukraine war needs to wind down...I won't be looking for any progress till those 2 things happen.
PS: Watch the headlines for early signs, layoffs and consumer spending cutbacks

We need layoffs and reduction in customer spending.

#16805 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Isn't the fact that companies are STILL complaininga bout not being able to find workers, and saying we need layoffs a bit contrary? While it's a bit unbalanced depending on the field, it's across the board.

Only because they still have access to capital. Once that tightens (after banks tighten), then loans and mortgages and lines of credit won't be paid, loans default, and then there is your recession.

#16910 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Wages won't keep up. This thread is proof of the division of what is a fair wage and well, they've had a century to figure it out.
Prices do not trend down. They trend up. That is how our capitalism is designed. Growth. If there is not growth, that means people are not buying, and if people are not buying, there is no demand, and therefor layoffs, and the cycle continues. This is why how the market is used and how corporations make money needs a huge overhaul. It works when people act humanly. Regulations are in place because people tend not to when left to their own devices.
Let's use Elon as an example. Tesla pays it's workers considerably less than Ford and GM and he is one of the richest men in the world. People choose to work for him because 'ideas' apparently. Which would impact the economy more? Him giving every one of his employees a huge raise and that money being put into the economy over time or him literally burning the same amount in cash in one day (so that money no longer exists)? The 'plan' is that he takes that money and pumps it into the economy to create more jobs, but he's about to lay people off. So what is all that money really doing for the economy. (this is just an example of 1 company).
The fed can't fix this, and well, the objective is more to slow it down than to stop it.

Uh...yeah....sure.

1 week later
#16936 1 year ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I see…but honestly I don’t think that the Market will care about a bunch of protests, whether they’re peaceful or violent.

Correct - it doesn't give a shit about angry white women. What it does give a shit is about is Powell saying rates will keep increasing and job losses are right around the corner. This one is going to last a while.

#16970 1 year ago

This thread has moved so far from what it was originally created for. Crypto, gold, muff 'n puff - time to put it down?

#16974 1 year ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

How about you share a good play and put it back on track?

Sure.

Put it all in cash, or you should have months ago.

3 months later
#17547 1 year ago
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#17564 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Energy. The Saudis hate us now. See tomorrow announcement.

Yup, that relationship is fucked for a lifetime.

#17575 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Check the rates on a 6 month T Bill

Ice - what do you think that announcement by OPEC is going to lead to?

1 week later
#17680 1 year ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Without wanting to derail into irrelevant political debates, what do you think would be better for a market recovery in the coming election? Democrats to retain control of the House and Senate, Republicans to win both? Or mixed?
Would any of the above options be overly bearish?

The damage is already done. The only game in play, is do we continue to do more damage....

1 month later
#18079 1 year ago
Quoted from taz:

I don't know how well electric bulldozers, and such would work, not to mention the thousands of everyday products we use which are made from fossil fuels, such as asphalt, plastics, everyday chemicals, and a surprising number of medical/pharmaceutical products, just to scratch the surface.

Pretty much all medical and pharmaceutical products. Then we'll hear the same people bitching about the cost of health care.

How about roads? Cosmetics? 95% of all food storage products?

Can't wait.

3 months later
#18935 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Kinda the point. Lots of companies who mismanaged had zero consequences for those who were responsible. Firing the staff and getting bought out isn't a consequence when those responsible walk away with millions.

And you know this how?

#18943 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

FFS man, either present evidence to the contrary or pass on by the comment. You aren't proving or disproving anything with comments like this. Some of this stuff I've seen first hand. Also, it's called history. Maybe you live in your own little bubble..I'm not sure. It's not like I'm saying all companies are bad and nothing at all happens to those that are. I will say that a slap on the wrist of some millions to companies taking billions doesn't really deter them.

You are the one that makes genialized "all in" statements (i.e. opinions).

By your logic - anyone can make an opinion and pass it off as a fact and just say "...I've seen first hand".

How old are you?

#19021 1 year ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Just forget about it...it's not a winnable subject. The minds are made up and there is no middle ground.

How rich.

#19048 1 year ago

Per your statistics, what percentage of rich people are getting away with crimes compared to non-rich people getting away with their crimes?

Forget about it.

"Some of this stuff (he's) seen first hand. Also, it's called history."

#19054 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

\

Spoken like a person with a guilt complex. Since you never actually contribute anything meaningful to any conversations,

Why bother when you shout people down with your "facts"? Plus there isn't any way I could match your posting volume.

#19055 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Don't confuse 'get away' with 'getting caught and let off with a slap on the wrist'. The ones you listed are exceptions, not the rule. .

More facts!

#19059 1 year ago
Quoted from jchristian11:

Dude, you continue to make statements while presenting zero evidence or facts while complaining someone else lacks substance?

Someone gets it.

#19071 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

All this to basically say, you're just guessing like the rest of us. You don't 'know' jack.

Depends on the topic and yes - there is truth/facts left the world. It's more difficult to find nowadays due to mass manipulation by our own Government and politicians that would make Goebbels proud, but it's there.

I've made my point so moving on.

1 week later
#19124 1 year ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I think it’s more serious this time.
There’s a lot of different dynamics at play this time around.
If and when we lose oil deal it’s going to get ugly. Our oil reserves are at lowest level in decades, OPEC is cutting output for the rest of year, China is investing billions in refineries to open EoY.
Just my opinion.
[quoted image][quoted image]

It's been headed this way for a while, and no one here gives a shit. We're more worried about what we call each other and silencing dissenting opinion.

It will get ugly. The US has been on a downward spiral since the 90s.

#19135 1 year ago

Wall Street Journal Op Ed - 4/4/23

An Oil Price Warning for Democrats:

Oil prices surged 6.3% on Monday, to close to $85 a barrel on the global market, after a group of Saudi-led producers said they’ll reduce production by a million barrels a day starting in May. That’s another fist bump to the stomach from President Biden’s admirers in Riyadh, and it’s a warning to Democrats in the U.S. of how vulnerable they are to oil producers abroad.

The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries plus Russia already cut oil production by two million barrels a day in October. Monday’s additional reduction took markets by surprise, as the price surge suggests. If it continues, it will complicate decisions by the Federal Reserve and other central bankers trying to get inflation under control.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/oil-prices-saudi-producers-opec-russia-biden-99af6177?mod=opinion_trending_now_opn_pos3

#19139 1 year ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

The op ed from the Wall Street Journal is a bit silly and over the top.

You didn't even read it did you?

#19140 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

The other side of that is if you never stop trying to rely on oil, you aren't ever going to get away from oil. If you constantly fight progress, then you are left with what you are left with. Most of the time the act of moving forward costs more money than it makes. And if your mindset is you are more concerned about profits than moving forward and getting off the teet, why complain about oil supply/prices?

Because that is what drives the world and will for many, many years. You can hide your head in the sand and pontificate on gaining the moral high ground for "energy independence" while your enemies are nodding and smiling in agreement to your face, and going behind your back and planning to slit your economic throat.

Look at those maps a few posts ago and let that sink in.

#19160 1 year ago
Quoted from BRONX:

Perhaps this upcoming oil cut is a nice way to tell the United States to go and fly a kite! In theory USA has been selling off its strategic reserves since I think Feb2022 and from what I see it has not replenished it, with oil prices recently touching the $60s, OPEC knows this resovoir needs to be topped up soon, so with this cut, America will not be topping of on the cheap anymore. If they didn't do any topping up when oil hit the $60s last week, they blew it. They will be paying alot more for it going forward. It's sort of a kind way for OPEC and Russia to put a sanction on America through higher oil prices or should I say opec/Russia tax on America

Absolutely, and they haven't even been private about it either! All started with Biden's foolish handling of the Khashoggi affair and only got worse from there.

Russia, Saudi Arabia changing over to the Yuan - and as we saw in the invasion of Ukraine and Europe's response - oil is necessary despite what our far left friends here think - if you need it you'll do anything like what we saw Biden promising "sanction relief" for Venezuela.

What a shit show.

#19177 1 year ago

Give it a rest dude. We've seen your true colors here over the past few years. You ain't foolin no one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 12.95
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider methos.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders?tu=methos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.