4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6,934 posts
  • 349 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 19 seconds ago by Zablon
  • Topic is favorited by 169 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 361 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

bb (resized).png
    76EC43C8-B4D6-4D08-B39A-691A1EC4E53C (resized).png
    1343C1D0-5299-432B-AF52-0A610A0351DD (resized).png
    mact (resized).JPG
    41028A6F-CE17-4FD1-9563-96AB288442C2 (resized).jpeg
    1hw6ljgfz5b61 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20210111-221231_Chrome (resized).jpg
    8376E8C6-FBEB-48B8-AEC7-A1C91231DDEE (resized).png
    Screenshot_20210110-214134_Reddit (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 5.27.40 PM (resized).png
    FBF1A993-2696-48E7-9B35-9A9F7D8BB7B6 (resized).jpeg
    6B6DD80F-C74E-4026-B9AE-BBC8AC0E2D45 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mad_dog_coin_op.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4617 6 months ago

I thought this was a stock board. Doesn’t anyone want to talk about Tesla?

#4625 6 months ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

There is a growing sensation that the DOW will drop back to 20K before the end of the year. So while its tempting to chase the FAANG/FAZER/TSLA/etc type stocks now, you've got a better than even chance of chase those rabbits down the hole, and having no funds to invest at the "bottom". COVID and ELECTIONS are two big emotional influences.
    Obviously everyone needs to decide for themselves, but if you are invested fully (i am), find stocks with less emotion. More fundementals. TSLA is NOT one of those.
    Here's a fun play: AMZ is reporting on July-30th, my predication is they will knock it out of the park. As hard as it is to drop $3k/share today, you might find a quick 10-15% kick short-term. The reason I say to consider AMZ is their business model FUNDEMENTALLY addresses the new normal. The work from home mentality. People won't want to go to retail shops for another year. They have the selection and fair prices people want. And they can deliver nearly anything ina few days.

AMZN is my favorite stock and my largest holding. I don’t think they are going to have blow out quarter (this time). Sure everyone is buying stuff from them like crazy but there are huge costs associated with that. They had to hire and train a ton of people and then spent a huge amount of cash to make things Covid safe. What has happened is a large amount of brick and mortar shoppers have now converted to buying online. Nobody does online shopping better than Amazon. During this time Amazon also was able to expand overseas. These are huge wins for Amazon that will eventually translate into sizable profits. Amazon’s long term prospects look outstanding.

1 week later
    #4636 5 months ago

Crappy GE is beginning to look like a buy. I think it can double in the next year from this price.

#4639 5 months ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

They have been shedding business units trying to become profitable again.

Yes they have and I think the bottom is near. I was going to try and hold out for below 6 but it might not get there.

1 week later
    #4661 5 months ago
    Quoted from noob-a-tron:

Silver really making a move now watched a doco years ago that said it should go up to $100 an ounce someday. I was looking at silver and bitcoin i chose silver lol. Anyway i bought a heap and have been siting on it since. Do people think it could go that high?

I think $100 silver is a pipe dream. Silver is common compared to other metals plus the biggest consumer of it is all but gone (the film industry - back when things were shot on film and not digital). In my opinion silver’s run will shrink away while gold will maintain it’s new levels.

#4665 5 months ago
    Quoted from noob-a-tron:

I was looking at platinum next, It seems to do well when the economy recovers and tanks when recession hits. Not sure what time to get involved in it though.

Now I like platinum. When you want to buy gold for $1000 a tory oz you buy platinum and swap to gold when the prices sync back up. Platinum is cheap and the auto industry knows it. They will likely retool and start using it in catalytic converters again because of it. Paldium is so over priced. The only down side to platinum is it is really only found in a few places on earth and they are kinda hot spots. Manufacturers don't Ike there supplies disrupted.

#4675 5 months ago
    Quoted from noob-a-tron:

My son asked if he can use his bank account that we have put money into over the years. He wants to risk it now he is only 17. I said buy Platinum he wanted silver but i think more can be made from platinum now. He has 11k to invest in something any ideas would be appreciated.

Metals as a first investment is a bad idea (at least all in). This is what i did and it worked out pretty good. Buy a gold and platinum coin every year. I'm in the US so it's Eagles for me. Sell the Platinum coins and buy gold replacements when the prices sync up again. Keep the gold for the long term. As for the rest of it, buy mutual funds or a really diversified big company like Berkshire or Amazon. At that age you want winners. Start getting riskier after he learns the ropes.

#4677 5 months ago

Buy and sell with a dealer. In person is a plus but there are lots of good ones online. Check the reviews. Selling Eagles is easy. Spot + 1% is usually the going rate for BU coins. It is pretty much walk in and do the deal. Graded coins are a little tougher to deal with and that's why I don't mess with them. I'm only in it for the metal. I'm not a coin collector. By the way, any metal purchases over $1500 does not get hit with sales tax.

#4681 5 months ago
    Quoted from BrianBannon:

Just a minor correction, be sure to check the state tax laws for purchases of precious metals, bullion, or coins before you buy as the laws differ from state to state. Some state tax laws are different from metal to metal, some states charge no tax at all on bullion or coins regardless of the amount, and some states charge no tax over a certain threshold. Bought some Silver Eagles a few weeks ago, wish I had bought more now.

True. My state is super strict on taxes and everything else.

2 weeks later
    #4717 5 months ago
    Quoted from Barakawins1:

Does anyone thing it's worth buying Testla at the $2045 price tag since it will split 5? Whats the thoughts on this one?

Tesla is a gamble on the future. Their batteries and self driving software could be the world standard. Then again, maybe not. I'll tell you what I do know. Millennial's bet on the future and their dollars are pushing this stock. I am sure this will run to $500 post split. These younger investors don't fully understand market cap. That $400 dollar share is going to look like a bargain to them. Is it a good buy? - no. Is it going to go up some more before correcting? - yes.

#4719 5 months ago
    Quoted from Methos:

You gotta wonder at what point the big auto manufacturers get their products into the market and take over? I know their track record is spotty over the past few decades, but they do seem to take out competition out quick easily.

It is looking more and more likely that if Tesla gets out their next gen battery out it won't matter. The new battery is rumored to be a game changer. The other auto manufactures will need to buy or license battery technology from Tesla just to stay competitive (which is a win for Tesla). Making cars isn't why Tesla has the market cap it does. It is because it is on the verge of changing everything. In 5 / 10 /15 years all cars and trucks being produced might be running Tesla batteries or running Tesla software. I'm not saying it is going to happen but Tesla is the Vegas favorite at the moment.

#4724 5 months ago

Bought a little QDEL today on the dip. These guys make the Covid test kits among other things. Their profits should be huge over the next couple years on that alone.

2 weeks later
    #4892 4 months ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I usually hold until there is a up swing then go after it . I’m waiting until amazon drops below 3k like 2800 then going all in

Sounds like a good play but I’m betting the bounce happens tomorrow. The market might start in the red but I don’t think it will close there. Amzn is a great company to pick up on any dip.

#4911 4 months ago

Mutual funds aren’t going to make you wealthy. Warren Buffet says you should double your money every 7 years. The Vanguard 2045 fund was 10 bucks in 2005. Factor in some Buffet logic and it should be over $40 now. It’s not (only around $25). The real money is picking a winner in the early stages like a Amazon or Apple. To be honest, Vanguard did about the same as the S&P 500 in the same time period.

#4922 4 months ago

Your

Quoted from Blackbeard:

100% disagree. I'd love to know what your definition of "wealthy" is.
    Not everyone can go all in with millions on one stock like Buffett can.

You’re missing my point. An average investor should be able to double their wealth in 7 years. Buffet did and does. You can buy Berkshire and be better off than Vanguard 2045. Just don’t sell yourself short. There is Money to be made. Why not make more of it....

#4932 4 months ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

This type of shit is ridiculous.
    My girlfriend is a teacher and not only does she have to put money into her retirement (no choice they just take it out) but she has an extremely limited range of options to invest in.
    They are all very risk averse so pretty much goes nowhere...

I’ve seen plenty of companies do that and it does sucks. The best you can usually do is put your money in a S&P fund and let it ride. It seems all the crappy offerings at least have a S&P fund.

#4936 4 months ago

Hey Iceman44 - Do you still have a warm fuzzy about RKT and MAC? Both are out of my comfort zone but both seem to be at or approaching buy zones.

#4939 4 months ago
    Quoted from Barakawins1:

Mad_Dog_con_op what does this statement mean? sorry new to this lingo

Just simply that they have pulled back enough that the purchase price is looking attractive again.

2 weeks later
    #5197 3 months ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

I had the same sentiment and realized exactly the same thing. My bet is to buy these stocks exactly once the upcoming lockdown shows up and the people that have been holding on to these stocks panic.... 2 years from now tourism, travel and every company that survived the pandemic in the beat down sector will be making A SHIT LOAD of money.
    Think holiday providers for people that want to go south. All the snowbirds in Canada are bitching that they can't go to Florida this season, and some are dumb enough to go even when insurance doesn't cover for Covid 19 related illnesses. Some are getting their cars towed down to Florida for them and they fly.
    That should put things into perspective.
    I'm buying boat cruises, airlines, trains, tourism industry.... People will PAY to take a getaway after this is all over. Which means another thing AIRBNB IPO. These guys will make an absolute KILLING once this is over. They have proven they can outlast storms because well, they don't need to invest in buildings to make their business model viable.

It's a risk. A lot of the companies in that category just don't have the cash to survive. Profit margins are slim even in good times. The damage may already be done. Picking a future winner isn't that easy. Lots of things can happen when a company is beat down. Bankruptcy is the obvious one but there are other things just as painful. I held Fruit of the Loom when Warren Buffett bought it and cancelled the stock by paying down their debt. Guess what I got in that deal? if you guessed nothing you would be correct. In my opinion nearly all of these super depressed companies are not worth investing in long term. Short term - maybe. I think money is better invested in the winners. Winners make money and continue to grow (usually).

#5203 3 months ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

True.
    Personally, I believe the Canadian Government would never let Air Canada fail. It's the only national carrier in Canada. I could be naive in this statement. Now when AC merges with Air Transat in the fourth quarter it will give AC not only be the title of only "Canadian National Airline" but also the owner of Canada's biggest Holiday Travel Airline. They would have all bases covered.
    Some of these companies have huge cash reserves but the real determining factor is the time it will take for people to hop on the band wagon again and travel. News of a working vaccine would be the determining factor here and the amount of doses required to protect the population. I hoping we receive news before the end of November on that front.

I hear you and agree but is doesn't have to fail to go to zero. Look at GM in the US. When I was younger I tried to invest in a very similar way. I was always looking for the big comeback. Sometimes it worked but mostly it didn't. I would have been better off buyer the winners of the time. Airlines, autos and travel are all off the table for me.

#5260 3 months ago

Let’s get this thread back on topic. BABA is looking good. The cloud division is about to turn a profit and “Singles Day” is just around the the corner. Looks like the stock will see new highs soon. Baba is maybe one of three Chinese stocks I like. Most of the others scare me.

#5272 3 months ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Very familiar with Palantir on a variety of fronts. I am fine with my price that I am in on it. This is going to be a volatile trade but I am ready for that.
    I did very well with RTX earlier in the year. Fully agree with you on this company.

I’m curious what you feel this company has going for it? They have been around for awhile and are no where close to making a profit. This isn’t a dig in any way. I just don’t see it. They solve big data problems but can’t seem to figure out how to make that profitable. Most big data companies do that in-house. Seems like a bad business model to me.

#5275 3 months ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Anybody else still playing RKT? It is on fire right now!

I had a limit buy order in on Tuesday and Wednesday for 19.87 and it never filled.

#5279 3 months ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

I am very familiar with this market sector. They offer a platform that organizations use to solve a variety of problems; ie a tool. Palantir is a tool that organizations use, as well as R, Python, BI, big data storage, etc, etc. So it is not a matter of in-house vs not; it is a matter of if you are using their platform. They have shifted to where 53% of their revenue is Federal, which is a huge market for them. They just knocked down a 35M deal at NIH and are doing big business everywhere. For certain sectors, they are becoming a defacto standard and are winning contracts uncompeted. For these reasons, I am willing to take a flyer on them to see where they go.

Ok - but you didn’t win me over. I can’t get over that nearly 500 million loss last year. A new 35 mil contract isn’t even going to make a dent in that.

#5287 3 months ago

The premarket trades are interesting. Apple is taking a hit. If it goes below $110 I think I'll be a buyer today. Maybe Rocket if goes below $20.

#5288 3 months ago
    Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

The premarket trades are interesting. Apple is taking a hit. If it goes below $110 I think I'll be a buyer today. Maybe Rocket if goes below $20.

Doesn't look like it is going to happen.

#5290 3 months ago
    Quoted from sataneatscheese:

Just bought AAPL and AMZN. Longer shutdown looks good for them to me.

I don't think you can go wrong with those two. Without a doubt they are long term winners.

#5304 3 months ago

Baba (still my favorite Chinese stock) looks like it wants to run. It broke 300 for the first time. Let’s see if it can close above it.

On a different note I bought a little Pins awhile ago to ride the wave. I know of the company but never dug into them much. I decided to sign up and see what it is all about. After creating an account and poking around I have determined they don’t have much to offer. Am I missing something? I don’t see this website generating much cash the way it sits now. Please let me know your thoughts. I might just bail on this one and take the profit. Nothing wrong with that.

#5307 3 months ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

No, you nailed it. (Pins)
    Its just an another medium riding the tech wave.
    It will fizzle eventually, trick is guessing when to get out.
    Baba, Chinese stocks scare me post election.

Quoted from loneacer:

I agree. I'd put Pins on par with Craigslist. It looks like some lame website someone created in their garage in the 90s. I hate when I'm doing a google search, click on a result, and end up on Pinterest. I'm baffled by their valuation.

Thanks for the confirmation. I’m out.

#5309 3 months ago
    Quoted from loneacer:

Careful or you'll summon Iceman. In fairness, I hated Pinterest (the site) when the stock was in the teens and now it's over $40.

For me it was simply a momentum play. It was a good call to pick it up for the ride but I don’t see the site being good for investors long term.

#5314 3 months ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Our company gets a huge amount of referrals from Pinterest's website
    It's extremely popular with females
    Just because you don't fit the target demographic ....

I hear what you're saying but the big boys do it far better in my opinion. I rather put my money there for the long term investments. By the way, I told my wife I bought Pins and she asked "why?" and told me "that web site sucks". Would I buy again? Absolutely - on a pull back. They aren't worth the price they are trading at now but are still trending up with momentum. Money can be made and timing is everything.

#5316 3 months ago

What are some top picks out there from Pinsiders? I’m looking for a new stock to buy. For me it must be profitable or about to be profitable. My top holdings are Amzn, Baba, AAPL and Msft but they are all mega cap stocks. I’m digging my most recent purchase of QDEL which should continue to run as long as Covid is a thing. I was thinking about adding to that but I’m open to other ideas.

#5324 3 months ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Physical gold and silver. Copper is good too.
    What no one explains is how are these good investments?.
    They obtain astronomical value when everything else crashes. The only way metals could be a good investment.
    Stocks? Caulk Manufacturers. Glass Suppliers. Paint Companies. Hardware (door and window), Fire resistant safes, security camera setups that are user friendly.
    Treated lumber and plywood are a wild card right now.

I'm a big believer in gold and platinum. I buy a couple coins every year. I'm not a believer we are on the verge of a crash - actually, just the opposite. I feel the US is going to boom once the vaccine is available. 2021 should be a good year. I'm looking for a new long term winner.

#5330 3 months ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Most of what I listed are Home Improvement related. I feel like this will be huge (more huge from the current standings).

I kind of took your advice but with with a small cap builder Cornerstone (CNR). I’m thinking a lot of these belly up empty business are going to need tweaked for the new occupants which should work to their advantage plus they also do residential stuff as well. Zacks likes them. They seem like a good pick at this time. Thanks for steering me in that direction.

#5359 3 months ago
    Quoted from J-drum11:

XSPA. $$$
    Covid testing in airports

IMO that company isn't investment worthy. I never heard of it so I looked them up. To be honest, I can't believe they are public. They are losing money like crazy and turned one location into a Covid test site that can only handle 400 tests per day. They are an airport spa. Their business is all but dead. If you want to ride the Covid wave buy JJ, ABT or QDEL.

2 weeks later
    #5420 84 days ago

Anyone looking at PLUG? I only bought a little just recently but it is the only thing in my portfolio that’s green today. Thinking about adding to it. It’s a green play and should do well regardless of who takes the helm.

#5462 83 days ago
    Quoted from phalcon_2600:

What do you guys think of AMC? They have said they are selling off stock and will be out of money buy the end of the year. Seems like a bad investment unless you gamble and you buy AMC stock before A smart company like Disney might buy them out. Disney would get more profits when they release future blockbuster Marvel films because they own AMC theaters. Dr Fauchi has said the he does not expect us to be back to normal until late 2021. AMC Would a long term play and a big gamble. What are your opinions?

There are several ways to buy a company. Disney might very well get AMC but why not wait until they go belly up and get the assets for pennies on the dollar. AMC stock would be worthless in that scenario. Be careful on that play.

#5463 83 days ago

Who here thinks FSLY has fallen enough? Thinking about pulling the trigger on this one.

#5518 77 days ago

Looks like the stock market loves gridlock. Nothing meaningful will get done in the next four years so there isn’t anything standing in the way of the stock market. We should be looking good once the Covid vaccine gets released. I think we are heading higher for the rest of the year.

#5566 72 days ago
    Quoted from hisokajp:

looks like some of the tech "bubble" may pop with money going back to "post covid" stocks. retail and cruises are looking good, NCLH is sailing high today.

I don’t think I would bet against Amazon going into Christmas. I feel a lot of those new customers that came aboard because of Covid are now locked in as regular customers. Zoom is a different story but Amazon wins regardless. I don’t feel Amazon is in bubble territory at all. Baba and Meli are likely winners too.

2 weeks later
    #5870 56 days ago
    Quoted from Barakawins1:

Fisker was dead.. Now it's through the roof. Not sure why RKT is just sitting there.

It’s getting hard to pick stocks. Logic seems gone. FSR eliminated 90% of their employees a few years ago and now they are off to the races. I wouldn’t go long on them. RKT’s problem is they are the largest in the industry and already trade at a premium. Sometimes the big boys have no where to go but sideways or down. I personally dumped them for a very small profit.

1 month later
    #6253 23 days ago

What's the current thought on FSLY? Buy here or wait a little longer?

1 week later
    #6366 14 days ago

I doubt silver will ever be $100. It is just so common. Mining can ramp up quickly to meet demand. Gold and platinum are a different story.

#6420 13 days ago

PLUG is on fire. Up over 200% in less than 60 days. Those are Tesla numbers. Not bad but sadly I only bought 100 shares. Sell or hold? The company has never made a profit. Maybe this is their time. Only took 24 years to get there. Thoughts?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 64.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Lermods
    $ 74.99
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pin Monk
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 334.95
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Other
    YouBentMyWookie
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 269.00
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 179.99
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 40.00
    Various Other Swag
    JK Pinball
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    $ 9,000.00
    $ 69.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    € 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Creo Pinball
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 7,699.99
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 25.99
    Playfield - Other
    Lee's Parts
    $ 119.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 49.95
    $ 174.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mad_dog_coin_op.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside