kuiil-have-spoken.gif
200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5101 Roth conversion advice. Posted by iceman44 (3 years ago)

Post #19981 How To Read US Debt Clock Posted by pinnyheadhead (5 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider investingdad.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 7 years ago

I began investing in mutual funds when I was 23 and set aside 15% of my salary to do this. My wife, though we hadn't met yet, was doing the same as me.

Other than rebalancing, we've never sold. Not in 2000, 2001, 2008, or any other time. We are now early 40s and contemplating an early retirement by early 50s. We save about 23% of our gross these days.

Simple, cheap, boring, stress free...and highly successful.

#7 7 years ago

Index funds...I look for lowest management fees and avoid actively managed funds. I've shifted from a 90/10 equity to bond mix to a 75/25 mix over the last ten years.

I return market average year in and year out.

The most important years of returns were from age 23 to age 29. That's because few people invest during those years. By the time most people start thinking of retirement as they turn 30 ish, we already had a full decade under our belts. The snowball affect on our portfolio kicked in as we hit mid 30s.

It's for this reason I often marvel at folks with as much money in pins that they have.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from pocketscience:

Cute conversation, but it's not all doom and gloom - it's entirely possible to have your cake and eat it too... my young kids are already setup for schooling, my wife and I have worked hard, invested wisely, and now that I'm mid 40's I can see a few more years of work then I'm done. I've got way better cars, toys and access to disposable cash since being married than I ever had when I was single. It's all swings and roundabouts, but in the end 2 people working together will achieve more than 1... just my $0.02...

Sound just like us.

I make a pretty handsome income, but my wife earns about 20% more.

And we're both savers and investors.

For the win.

#44 7 years ago

Whysnow,

Set an equity to bond ratio based upon your age and comfort level, invest in mutual funds that meet that ratio, and then set it and forget it.

Investing is only complicated if you make it so.

Never triy to time the markets, just leave your investments the way they are based upon the ratio that you set.

#103 7 years ago

During the course of my MBA work I concluded that options are not suited for individual investors. Rather, they serve as insurance policies for institutional investors.

Naturally, folks are free to do as they wish.

On insurance, we have term policies that expire when the kids are eighteen or so.

The most important insurance policy we carry is an umbrella policy. Several millions in coverage can be had for a few hundred dollars, an important investment.

#118 7 years ago

When it comes to ANY investment, I find that the harder it is to explain how you earn your risk premium, the more likely it is that the only real profit to be made is earned at the time of the transaction...and pocketed by the seller.

As for filling a claim on our umbrella...I truly hope that day never comes. But if it does, a lifetime of careful planning won't be wiped out. That's the point of insurance..not to turn a profit.

#166 7 years ago

The problem with trading stocks is that in order to keep up with the aggregate market return over the course of 40+ years, you have to constantly be looking for the next trade.

The discussion on here to this point is a perfect example. It's a lot of work.

#168 7 years ago

I don't agree that there is a bad side of the trade when talking stock. It is not zero sum.

When talking options trades, I agree. That is zero sum and there is a corresponding loser for each winner.

Otherwise, Rai, I agree with what you posted.

#173 7 years ago

As we are in our early 40s, I've started to transition our portfolio to a higher bond weight. Over the last five or so years, I've moved us closer to 25% bonds. Mostly I've done this by weighting new contributions heavily to bonds.

However, I gave it a big shove over the summer with a rebalance. Just in time for bond prices to take a dump.

That's how it goes sometimes when you recalibrate. You don't like bond funds until the next equity melt down...which is absolutely going to happen. I just don't know if it will be tomorrow or five years from now.

As we approach 50, I will probably let it go up to 30%, but no higher.

#203 7 years ago

Are you certain this wasn't a taxable event?

#223 7 years ago

I have a problem with a stock purchase as zero sum. It simply is NOT.

This is not an option trade where there is truly a loser of money that pays for the gains of the winner. THAT is zero sum. And the time component forces each trader's hand.

Not the same as the buyer and seller of a stock. There does not need to be a losing side on a stock sale. A stock can be lower than the purchase price and pay a dividend and there is no compunction to sell on time.

Please stop describing stock trades as zero sum. This is infuriating to me. If you are as accomplished as an analyst as you claim, you know darn well stock trades are not zero sum. There are folks on here looking to learn about investing that are going to come away thinking they are. Don't do them that disservice.

#234 7 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

All this BS about zero sum.......So clearly no one has a clue about naked shorting?

I'm familiar with creating short positions by selling naked. But we both know this is a form of trade that is different than typical selling when the underlying asset is owned.

#237 7 years ago

Determine the asset ratio suited to your age and risk tolerance.

Determine how much income you need to generate based on your expenses. Are you making that in retirement taking in the above criteria?

Timing the markets is folly. It's been proven over and over again.

Set your mix per the above and then do it.

#246 7 years ago

I was born in 1973, middle of Gen X. I have found the market to be outstanding since I began investing in 1997...again, buy, hold, never sell. Ignore the noise and maintain correct investment ratio. Don't trade.

#266 7 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

1Mill will give you between $20,000 and $30,000 a yr in income will not feel like much come retirement

I like the 2.5% to 3% estimate for a safe withdrawal rate as far as planning goes, so I will echo what you said above.

Whether you include social security in the model or not is up for debate. I've generally assumed it to be zero for my planning.

Including primary residence is fine for net worth calculations. But home equity is too illiquid to mean much which is why I prefer to exclude it and only look at portfolio value.

#267 7 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Hey InvestingDad, no disrespect meant of course. But what I was trying to illustrate was that 1973 and 1980 are huge differences. You graduated college, in theory, in 1995. If you were in tech you would have graduated into a much stronger job market and had a leg up on getting financial footing. Hell maybe you worked at a company that gave you stock options and you exercised some for a little profit before the market blew up. You probably would have been buying your first home in 1998-1999, which was a much better time to buy than 2006.
You can't hold and never sell, because human life is finite. And when you sell is mostly based on your age, or if you are unlucky, when the SHTF in your life (illness, job loss, divorce, etc). If you were set to retire at 60 in 2010, your prime earning years and therefore prime retirement contributions would have been during the two largest stock bubbles ever. you don't have time to make up the crash of 2008 and you gotta start selling on your way to retirement if your income is gonna stop. It's just so much harder to make money than it is to lose it. And every time you are burned by a big loss in either your investing life or personal life, you end up being that much less risk-tolerant.

No offense taken.

Never sell means, to me, not selling/trading based on market noise. Other than rebalancing, my view is there should be little reason to sell during the accumulation years.

I will add that, while crap can always hit the fan, living below your means is a great way to smooth out the bumps.

#270 7 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

No withdrawal %2/%3 from div income only

Not reinvesting dividends (i.e. dividend income) is the same as withdrawing them.

#275 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I'm not saying you're not correct I was just responding to who is considered HNW investors and I checked they say $1M liquid assets make you HNW. 99% of individuals do not have $1M liquid.

Actually, it's about 95%.

#283 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Anyway here is a great website for playing around with scenarios.
http://firecalc.com/
this is quite a powerful website. You can just punch in three sets of numbers (years in retirement, savings, and spending) and it will give your probability of success. But there are other pages (tabs at the top) you can explore more detailed or different spending methods and if you will get SS income etc..

Ahh, firecalc. I love that website. You're talking my language now. Happiness is 98.9% chance of success.

#288 7 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Getting div income is not at all the same as taking out principal

Safe withdrawal rate pertains to taking a percentage of the portfolio at a rate that can be maintained in perpetuity.

It's irrelevant whether that is in the form of dividends, principal, or a combination thereof...ignoring tax efficiency of course.

1 month later
#367 7 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Just sold 500 shares of Disney @ 111. Purchased back in September for around 92.
Purchased 1,000 shares of Harley Davidson @ 57.
**Note: I use round numbers for purchase price.

Nice gain. 20%.

The problem, though, is finding a new place to park that money. And repeating.

I've done nothing but be invested in the market during this timeframe. I've seen an 11% gain simply given the market increase. But, I've also not paid any capital gains tax, as you will be doing.

That knocks your return down to 17%.

And you still have to find a new investment as I said (HD in this case). Because you are working single investments, your Risk is massively higher than mine.

This isn't a criticism, just something to highlight between our strategies.

1 week later
#397 7 years ago

My goal is 3.5% safe withdrawal rate.

#398 7 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

My retirement:
Whole life policy
Profit sharing plan
House paid off
Rental condo paid off
Savings
Proceeds from sale of my business
That's my current situation. Real estate isn't paid off yet, but will be before I retire.
What I would like to add:
2 more rental condos
Start 2 more businesses
As I near retirement, my portfolio will shift to produce more income
I'm single now, but if I ever get married, I'm marrying someone with a good career. I saw first hand what marrying a leech does...that will never happen to me.

Unless the leech is AMAZING in the sack...

#406 7 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

Some spending models take age into consideration. Bernicke's I think. You can do some projections with firecalc and cfiresim.
Personally I find it difficult to estimate healthcare costs.

Firecalc is a fine tool for sure.

1 month later
#426 7 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

If inflation is anywhere near historical averages of nearly 3%, you'll need a 6.5% annual return to allow you to withdraw 3.5% and still keep the principal at the same relative value.

I'm not trying to preserve principal, I'm looking to have constant spending power until age 95. The portfolio test passes if it goes to zero at age 95.

4 months later
#473 6 years ago

Invest the 25k in an index fund, please.

1 month later
#499 6 years ago
Quoted from mtp78:

Been holding visa since it went public. Sold half and still have 2k shares....i am 49 and feel like this is a keeper for the long haul.
When do you guys sell, is it wrong to believe in a company to hold it long term till retirement?

I have never sold any mutual funds in twenty plus years of investing. Rebalance a bit, but no selling. I don't trade. I still own the shares I bought at 23.

Some will argue about this method, my reply is to sit back and smile.

Invest, don't trade.

1 month later
#538 6 years ago

So when you get out of the market and into cash, how do you know when to get back in?

For that matter, how do you know when to get out in the first place?

When you sell a big gaining stock, do you immediately have another in mind to buy? How do you find the winners consistently?

#541 6 years ago

Exactly.

Which is why I continue to preach low cost funds, buy and never sell, stay the course regardless of what the market is doing, etc.

Complicated trades to score a few thousand or tens of thousands of dollars is not appealing to me and not sustainable as a long term strategy.

Investing is simple and requires very little work. I never understood the desire to make it complicated.

#550 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I'm considering selling all our holdings to get construction done on our home - we are in a hot market, in a super hot zip code, and need a bit more space to work with. Meeting with the builder today to see if the cost will be sustained by the potential in the end result. We'll see...

So after you pay taxes on gains, do you expect the return on the home improvements to exceed what your investments will return? If not, I'd think a HELOC would be better...or save up what you need in cash if the work isn't critical, that's the most prudent option.

#555 6 years ago

The great thing about index funds is the diversity and distributed risk that means few instances where I need to worry about 20%+ losses.

How do you know the market is over priced?

What happens if you're not in the market on the 20% of days that yield 80% of the returns?

#563 6 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

If you go cash, what the heck do you do with it? While there's no apparent downturn it just seems crazy to cash on gains, pay the tax and sit on pile of cash. What am I missing here?

In my view, you're not missing anything. I've shared this view for the last 20+ years of investing.

1 month later
#574 6 years ago

I predict our portfolio will again closely match whatever the S&P does.

Our 2017 return was a little over 20%.

My biggest effort was clicking 'buy' for each monthly purchase of additional fund shares.

Simplicity!

#576 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

My return was ~20% overall but that was brought down because I’m holding 25% Bonds would have been lower due to that except I own a lot of APPL
25% of my assets are in US ETFs total stock
20% Total international funds
25% US Bonds
25% indivual US stocks
5% REITS

Ditto.

We are about 25% domestic bonds, but we have a single stock holding in my wife's company that had outsized gains.

1 week later
#589 6 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I looked back at my posts...looks like I had a pretty good year.
I forgot to mention the 2nd purchase of TEVA, 2,000 shares at $13.
I sold SLB, made a profit.
I took a loss on the Harley Davison at $57 purchase, needed it for taxes. But I still own the shares I purchased at $47.
Right now, I'm in a holding pattern. Market has taken off like a rocket ship...all the easy money has already been made. Now I'm sitting on some cash waiting for a buying opportunity.

You've identified the problem with investors timing the market and not being fully invested all the time per whatever asset ratio is appropriate for you.

How do you know when it's a buying opportunity and what gains are you missing while waiting?

#610 6 years ago
Quoted from scarybeard:

waiting for that correction, and then beginning to cost-dollar average in on the recovery, will provide you with the lowest risk returns.

There are people that have been waiting for a correction since 2016, I would not want to have missed the gains since then.

You cannot time the market regardless of whatever timeline you want to use.

#615 6 years ago
Quoted from ExtremePinball:

Well sure they've been waiting, because a 10 year bull cycle is unrealistic. So when the correction is finally manipulated by wall street, it's going to be that much bloodier. You know, just like the way wall street managed to manipulate BTC this week.

Tell that to every day trader and swing trader making a living on the planet. What you might have meant to say is that the average person cannot time the market.
Let's try to be truthful about the U.S. stock market. It's the biggest long term scam ever perpetuated, and it is currently being threatened by crypto currencies. Wall street will use its trillions of dollars to make sure they win, and everybody else loses.
As I previously mentioned, when a U.S. stock that loses money every year for decades, goes up 400% in two days.... it's completely normal, nothing to see here. But when a crypto moves like that... well, it can only be fraudulent. Right, wall street?
That's just my opinion, and nobody else's matters.

No offense, but could you provide some details on your professional and educational background that support your views.

Especially the "stock that loses money" for decades bit, I don't understand how that works.

#623 6 years ago

Honestly, I'm still wanting to hear how the market is the biggest long term scam ever.

I've been buying and holding index funds since I was 23. I'm 44 now and I haven't been scammed yet. I've also never sold.

My investments are worth much more than when I started two decades ago. And that includes the dot com bubble, 9/11, and the 2008 mess. My money wasn't stolen from me via Wall Street during any of those gyrations.

???

#627 6 years ago
Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

401k question for you guys. My 401k is way up right now, looking online it says my personal rate of return for the last year was 24%. I have 20 more years of work to go until retirement, that's the plan anyway right now. Most of my investments are in stocks. Should I convert a bunch of these over to bonds or money markets accounts while the market is high and then buy stocks again when the markets is low. Do people do this with their 401k's or just let it ride?

The correct answer is to determine first what asset allocation you are comfortable with for your entire portfolio. Is it 90/10, 70/30, other?

Once you know that, it's simply a matter of doing an occasional rebalance once or twice a year if things skew.

If you rebalance, do so in a tax advantaged account so as not to incur taxes.

#639 6 years ago
Quoted from scarybeard:

naw, your right. That's why Warren Buffet is sitting on more cash right now than he's ever held.... You right. buy in now. buy buy buy.... I hear Bitcoin is gonna be big.... better not miss out...
Never said I was out of the market waiting for a correction, Said its worth skimming profits to have cash on hand for when the fall comes. (and it will) Was just offering a more conservative viewpoint for those of us not chasing huge returns at great risk. But by all means, continue your fair weather enthusiasm.

If you've read my posts, you will well know I advocate low cost index funds with a bond and equity mix that aligns with your age and risk tolerance. I've never been on the band wagon of bitcoin, nor do I believe the run up in the broad market is sustainable. But I don't advocate selling because I cannot predict the future. I do not advocate chasing high risk at any cost, but have always said to buy broadly and stay the course. I did not sell in 1999, 2008, and I'm not selling now.

I am, however, in my mid 40s and considering retiring in my very early 50s. You can draw whatever conclusions you like about that and how the investment strategy I've used since I was 23, and outlined above, got me here.

I share this because I want others to know that investing is remarkably simple, making it complicated is what costs most private investors money. Living below your means is also very important.

#640 6 years ago

I will also add that there are a few basic ways to invest.

One is doing detailed analysis of a company, determining there is value, and buying a position. And eventually selling. This process needs to be repeated again and again and requires a high level of talent and intelligence. I doubt most private investors are doing this. Buffet is an example of somebody who has managed to do this over a lifetime.

If you're not doing the above, you are most likely simply placing what is little more than a wager, buying and selling when it feels right to you. Timing. This is not sustainable and will eventually lead to under performance.

Or, you buy everything, hold it forever, and accept average market return...outperforming almost all active investors over time.

Ultimately, I don't care what any of you do, but I wish you best success. Good luck.

1 week later
#649 6 years ago
Quoted from Pintucky:

That #&@*%!#*& stock market tanked today!!!!!!! I watched the DOW just keep going negative, like a pinball score counter, but backward! Just kept zinging to negative numbers! Right when I was doing so well, I had thought of cashing in in April or May. Hell, it will probably now take until June to just get back up to near where it was. Or, it could just keep on going downhill all next week long. One little fuckin' political comment, a release of a FBI memo, the Feds just talking about a possible interest rate hike, or the price of tampons going up . . . that's all it takes and then . . . WHAMO! Cocksuckers who sell out like that so quickly should be tied and horse whipped!!!

With all due respect, if this small drop has that kind of outsized impact on your retirement...i would question whether your strategy is appropriate or situation as secure as you believe.

#653 6 years ago
Quoted from Pintucky:

This isn't exactly my retirement. This stock was my plan to pay off a certain rather large debt. I was getting really close to my goal and then this happened. It's my age . . . . I'm somewhere between 70 and death. Once the debt is paid off, I can rest and be debt free. I just want the market to stay stable.

That's not how the equities market works. There is no such thing as risk free return. A stable and predictable equities market carries no risk and won't happen.

Stable returns and income are available to investors, but at much lower rates.

#656 6 years ago

The truth is the Fed has robbed us all by keeping interest rates so low for so long. You should not have to play the casino to get a decent return on your money. The 10 year should be at 4-5%+. One could easily argue we are setting up the next crash. The American people are clueless!

[sigh]

I typed a reply, but then I erased it and wrote this instead.

#668 6 years ago

I continue to abide by my strategy of doing nothing except making incremental purchases the first trading day of the month.

#693 6 years ago

Am I missing something or maybe I am clueless as I have no idea what you meant by your post?

It meant I began to respond to the implied Wall Street = casino thing when I realized I no longer care if people want to think this. So rather than continue to debate this ridiculous notion, I deleted my reply and decided it's easier to let people believe whatever the heck they want at their own detriment.

#697 6 years ago

bogleheads, great forum

5 months later
#829 5 years ago
Quoted from robgo777:

Our Family has been a Dave Ramsey follower for close to 15 years now. We only invest in Mutual Funds and paid for Real Estate. We spread our mutual funds evenly over Growth (Large Cap), Growth and Income (Mid Cap), Aggressive Growth (Small Cap), and International.
If you want to learn more, visit:
www.daveramsey.com

Dave is great for getting people on track, but I would add that the funds he hawks have very high fees.

#830 5 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

I bought BRK.B about 20 years ago...glad I did.
Robert

We bought some in 2008. Outside of company stock awards from our employers, it's the only stock we own. It has done well, though most of the gains came since 2009.

#838 5 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I have 2.5m in the market. I don’t try to time it, just let it be. In 10 years I look forward to having 5.4m

Sounds about right.

I'm guessing you're adding ~80k or so per year and assuming a RoR around 6 or 7%?

With a 3.5% withdrawal rate, you should pull 175k a year off of it in perpetuity.

#844 5 years ago

I'll say it again... investing is SIMPLE.

Pick a few low cost funds (index, bond, and foreign), pick a ratio of the three consistent with your age and risk tolerance, contribute monthly.

Done.

No trading. No complexity.

The first rule of advisor club is let the client believe it's complicated.

#858 5 years ago

It's also easy to think investing is easy, or you're smart, when the markets have been on a long run up.

It's a lot harder to stick to the plan with conviction when everything is red.

That's where the money is made...sticking to plan when it's going poorly.

2 weeks later
#884 5 years ago
Quoted from Londonpinball:

Honest, Thanks for the feedback !!!
If I want to make 1000.00$ bets, not investments
What can you imagine would be the highist reward/ biggest /quickest risk in the market I could try ?
I like options because of the compounded risk, any info on increasing the risk and reward,
is what I am looking for.

You're better off going to a casino if this is your view and approach.

Or... just send me your money and I'll flip a coin. If it comes up heads, I'll mail you back a check for 10x the original amount. Tails, I keep what you sent.

Honestly...i don't think option trading is in your best interest.

1 month later
#985 5 years ago

For those using an active trading strategy, I'm curious if this makes up the lion's share of your overall investment portfolio.

I've mentioned my preferences for passive investing and have followed this strategy since I was 23 or 24. I became intrigued by options while doing my MBA work but never used them.

For those that actively trade, how do your returns compare against a benchmark such as the S&P500 taking into account dividends and total return?

Over 1 year, 5, 20, and longer?

I'll be honest, I'm skeptical that anyone here is matching, let alone beating, the S&P long term. And if you're not, what motivates you to keep trying and accepting reduced returns?

I'm reminded of Buffets wager with a hedge fund manager trying to beat the S&P, it didn't go that well if you all recall. The wager ended in 2017 with Buffet and the S&P trouncing the experts.

#992 5 years ago

Don't forget to include short term capital gains tax, at whatever your tax rate is, when figuring out your total return.

A holder of S&P only pays on the dividend, not the entire capital gain that comes with the churn.

#998 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Good point.
But often the selling puts is what I call a side hustle, I mean you have your core stocks in taxable and that gains whatever the market gains. The selling puts is more or less pure gain meaning you don’t really put anything on hold (like in cash). So while it’s true it’ll be taxed at short term cap gains, it does not mean his returns are not accurately stated. He did not state after tax gains but then most gains are stated in absolute terms not after tax gains.

True, but the tax hit is not apples to apples between these two strategies.

#1001 5 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I don’t take taxes into consideration when it comes to investing (unless it’s December).
My rational is simple. I buy etoys for $5. Watch it go up to $120. Decide not to sell at $120, because I’ll have a tax bill. Watch it drop all the way down because I don’t want to pay taxes.
Taxes is a result of making the correct decisions. It is a necessary evil.

My point was just that some strategies incur higher taxes than others with a non trivial impact on returns.

But I don't agree that ignoring taxes when investing is a smart idea. It's all about minimizing taxes where possible.

Especially if your managing 6 or 7 figures or preserving wealth.

In any case, many roads to Dublin.

2 weeks later
#1008 5 years ago

As much as I despise days like this, it reinforces for me why I simply buy and hold and buy.

Nothing to think about or do as buying day is always the 1st day of the month.

1 month later
#1077 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

fingers crossed amazon cyber monday results were enough to get us out of the downward spin

Or maybe the Fed statement about neutral rates had something to do with it...

7 months later
#1157 4 years ago
Quoted from BenetBoy78:

Any thoughts on best for 5-10 years investment?
1. No meat stocks. Meatless food stocks
2. Stocks that pay dividends
3. Marijuana stocks
4. Ups. FedEx type stocks
5. McDonalds fast food type stocks.
Thanks Mike V

What is your objective with this investment? Is this part of a larger portfolio? What is your current investing mix? How old are you? What is your risk tolerance and how will this investment fit into your larger strategy?

I fail to understand how other posters are able to offer up advice without asking these sorts of questions.

My advice is to seek out something other than a pinball forum for investing guidance.

#1162 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Disagree ,I find people to be pretty knowledgeable about different things on this forum.
You have many people that are experts in a variety of things here so it cant hurt to ask advice here. It doesnt cost anything

Fair enough, yet none of them asked the questions I posed, so...

1 month later
#1215 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

So I'm a buy and hold kind of guy with 30+ years until I retire with all my holdings outside my residence in mutual funds. I am curious how the active traders are playing on the 850+ point drop in the market today (8/5/2019).

We've been buying and holding for almost 25 years now. I hate days like yesterday because my strategy requires that I do nothing. My monthly investment day is always the first business day of the month, so I didn't submit a buy on more mutual funds since I already bought in August.

I won't hit refresh on Quicken for awhile, I know about how much the portfolio dropped without having to verify. It's probably close to my yearly salary.

#1217 4 years ago

Are you thinking of 87? I remember the headlines in the newspaper being in giant print, then forgot about it while I went to play on my Nintendo.

3 weeks later
#1227 4 years ago

The hard part of active trading is selling the winners, then picking new ones.

Repeatedly.

For 30+ years.

#1232 4 years ago

I spent a fair bit of time studying options as part of my MBA. My conclusion is that they're a fine insurance policy for institutions, high risk for the individual trader. I avoid them.

#1235 4 years ago

My basic dislike of options lies in the fact that they're zero sum and have no "real" value. That's just my view of them. I won't dispute that the leveraged nature of them creates a lot of potential gains, but I suspect a lot of people that play with them are setting themselves up for a fall.

They do have a place and use, though. No question about that.

#1238 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

If I buy the right to buy an ETF selling at 292 and I can now buy for 200 how does this have no value

Because the derivatives contracts are zero sum, there is no intrinsic value that increases. Your loss is exactly offset by somebody else's gain, and vice versa.

This is not the same as a holding that is underpinned by an asset that can have an intrinsic increase in value. If I sell a stock for a gain, it's not offset by an equal loss to the buyer.

#1239 4 years ago
Quoted from LITZ:

People often define risk as an increase in volatility and to the downside. Which is not the way I define risk. Using my standard position size of $350-$500 per trade my historical average loss is $100 and my average win is $250.00 This means my system generates 250% returns on risk. I know my setup which is a simple breakout/ breakdown strategy inside-out. I have the disciple to cut my losers quickly and deploy that capital into new setups off my watchlist.
Most traders do not respect the leverage that options possess and end up blowing up their accounts. There is a reason only 5% of traders consistently make money in the mkt no matter if it is going up, down, or sideways. Only 5% have a defined statistical edge and that makes what I do like being the casino. This is a zero sum game, where 90% consistently give away their money to that 5% group. Also anytime there is a great chance at making vast sums of money, the Powers That Be make it nearly impossible to take advantage of this situation by instituting tons of hurdles and roadblocks. Why is it that any Joe can open a brokerage account and start firing off trades within minutes? It is because they know only a small minority of investors will actually walk out of the casino with more than they walked in with. The rest are just gamblers! And I am grateful for their kind donations into my account
Here are two open trades I have on SLV. Notice the new trade has an 80% return in just a few days based on risk of 100.00 and the other is nearly up 5x. I am trading options using only $12,500 and each month in 2019 I am averaging anywhere from 20%-80% account growth. I am slowly increasing the size of the account so that eventually I will be trading with 100K.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I certainly wish you success, but I heard this argument 20 years ago as well.

I post about this only because I have a little buy and hold investing experience and can speak to the success of that strategy over decades.

Every sure fire strategy is a winner until the next unexpected black swan. To quote WOPR from the movie Wargames, the only winning move is not to play.

Buy and Hold is boring and you simply ride the market, but over long time horizons it simply works.

#1243 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

You act as if option are bit coin I am not sure you even understand them. I bought cvs $37.50 jan 2021 for $16.83 the stock was trading around $52.50 the stock now trades at $61. That $61 gives the option a value of $23.50 that is the spread between 37.50 and $61

You're correct, I don't understand them. Please, carry on.

2 months later
#1284 4 years ago

I'm 50% VIGAX and 50% VIGRX. Slow and steady wins the race. t.

Yes it does. Very large portfolios can be built like this. Just takes some patience and ability to think ahead.

1 month later
#1292 4 years ago

On a tangent, our total return in 2019 was about 27%. That was based on a 70/25/5 portfolio mix of mutual funds, the 5% being cash or cash equivalents.

The S&P return was 29%.

I have executed zero trades for probably close to 15 years; only fund purchases with some modest rebalancing. This is obviously a passive strategy versus the active strategy being discussed.

Our portfolio dollar gain in 2019 was about 2.7x our combined gross income, primarily a function of LBYM over 25 years.

#1294 4 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

2019 - up 65%
2018 - down 8%
2017 - up 56%
2016 - up 86%
2015 - up 7%
2014 - up 2%
2013 - up 2%
2012 - up 34%
2011 - up 4%
2010 - up 16%
2009 - up 30%
2008 - down 16%
2007 - up 10%
I'm averaging 22% over a 13 year period

I'm not sure if I can suss out my exact returns over that time period, but i want to say we have averaged 9% a year over the last 5 years.

I arrive at that number based on our net worth increasing by 88% since Jan 2015 and correcting for the new money we added during that time.

I am still anticipating full financial independence between 52 and 54. I need an average 5.5% return over the next five years plus our contributions to do that.

Many roads to Dublin, good luck in 2020.

EDIT
I think my 9% average over the last 5 years is about right. The S&P returned about this average over the same time and while we have 25% bonds, I do have a large equity holding that has been a heavy outperformer.

#1306 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

For most investors, read this book 2 or 3 times and you will do better than 90% of professionals
amazon.com link »

Correct.

#1310 4 years ago

I'll tell you something though, when you have a year like 2019 and your portfolio appreciates more than 2.5 times what you and your spouse grossed...it starts to get REALLY hard to stay focused at work.

I'm finding my tolerance for the BS, sycophants, and V.P. wannabes that will say and do anything to climb the next rung to be quickly approaching zero. While they're chasing the next promotion and sacrificing crazy hours to get it, I'm sitting back and watching our bottom line appreciate by itself.

That has always been my goal of investing in the market coming out of college, to work only for as long as I needed to and having the flexibility to stop when I felt like it. It's what keeps me focused when I see the 30 something douchebag that got promoted above his abilities come rolling to work in a new Benz a few months after the fact (happened) and why I have just one pin.

I've seen markets meltdown before, 2000 was ugly and 2008 was scary in a different way. So I know 2020 could be the opposite and I'll be glad for that income, because we've not hit our number yet.

My point here is this...have a clear goal in mind with your investing and remember that money is a tool; the most important thing it can buy you is options.

#1322 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I noticed LITZ hasn't posted in awhile. I decided to give his service a try. Over 3 months I lost a couple of thousand dollars. It was a good lesson to remember that there's no timing the market and all his bullshit is just that, bullshit. He liked to talk a big game but all his screenshots are nonsense.

I remember seeing that post and making the conscious decision to say nothing.

So, I never heard of Stocktwits before but had to check it out.

It took me back to the late 90s, and the Yahoo Stock message boards...where every dumbass pump and dumper was plying their trade and fanning the flames of HUGE wins, and BIG NEWS coming shortly.

Man, glad I passed that phase early and quickly.

I see the spirit carries on.

#1324 4 years ago

I like mutual funds for easy management and instant diversification.
Here is my 2019 performance:
Retirement and Kids College is all invested in Vanguard Growth Index Fund Investor Shares (VIGRX) and Vanguard Small-Cap Growth Index Investor Shares (VSGAX) returning 32.96% and 30.81% year over year each. Can't win every year, but very happy. S&P500 was up 29.6% in 2019. Both had expense ratios less than .17% so outperformed the S&P500 even with expenses.

Just a note, Vanguard does not benchmark those funds against the S&P500.

#1330 4 years ago

I know just enough about the stock market to know that I don't know what I'm doing, and mutual funds are a better option for me. Can you let me know where my logic is wrong above?

Sure. Let's say I'm invested 100% in bonds and I return 5% in 2019.

One could say I returned less than the S&P which returned over 25% in 2019.

But that would be a meaningless comparison, like saying the basketball team consistently outscored the hockey team.

The Vanguard funds you mention are not measured against the S&P because the holdings they are made of do not reflect the S&P.

Instead, you want to compare the performance against the fund's benchmark, net of mgmt fee, to guage how the fund is doing within its category.

Most passive funds are just under the benchmark each year. As one would expect, they just mimic.

Active funds are paying managers their salaries (fees) to do better. I avoid them.

1 month later
#1366 4 years ago
Quoted from LITZ:

Poor poor Jeremy always playing the victim role. I enjoyed reading some of your previous posts here on Pinside! As far as screenshots go, how about a link to the 2020 US Investing Championships? Scroll down to the bottom for the January results and you will see yours truly listed in the Stock Options division (Enhanced Growth). I had a 29% month in January and as of the close yesterday my account is up 50% YTD! This is a verified contest where I send in my broker statements. Past winners happen to be trading legends like Paul Tudor Jones.
https://financial-competitions.com/
Here is last year's Market Watch article. My name will appear in this year's press release.
https://www.marketwatch.com/press-release/united-states-investing-championship-first-month-results-2019-02-14
I am glad you were honest about losing $2K with me and not the entire $3K you started with. There is no way to make money when you are paying insane broker commissions in Canada. But, if you remember the text messages I sent ya, I told you that my main momentum indicator had divergence starting on Oct 22nd and this lasted for 5 weeks. I did not close out my trades because I truly believed the market would rollover. I "TIMED" the market perfectly with my long only 401K account; picking bottoms and selling tops throughout 2019. So, I had no reason to think this indicator would lead me astray. I then explained how I found another momentum indicator to act as a filter since it did not show the same divergence during that Oct- Nov period.
I kept you in the trading room for free so that you could see me recover all those losses. Not only did I recover, I made 100% return on that draw down! Most ppl would have quit and given up after such a bad F- up in front of paying customers! Once I proved my point I booted you out of the room when you started asking for your 3K back! No body is capable of escaping a draw down period. That was mine for 2019 and it's unfortunate you got caught in it. This was the best thing to happen to me. It prepared me to be much more disciplined with cutting my losers when the stops are hit, no questions asked.

I enjoyed reading this post.

Why? Because it took me back to the days of 1999 when everybody was getting rich, day trading, going public, burning cash and growing fast, dot comming, B2B, new market, P/E 200 new normal, giving stock tips, and making fast money.

Lenny Dykstra trade of the day anyone? Good times.

Thankfully, I learned my lesson quickly and cheaply and never looked back.

But it brings a smile to my face when I see people still playing this game because they're new and got it figured out.

Meanwhile, I've just quietly accumulated, and accumulated, and accumulated...by doing nothing but buying every month for 25 years. No deviation. No selling.

Maybe I can make more money by placing tiny little ads in newspapers...

#1368 4 years ago
Quoted from LITZ:

I kept you in the trading room for free so that you could see me recover all those losses. Not only did I recover, I made 100% return on that draw down! Most ppl would have quit and given up after such a bad F- up in front of paying customers!

Ask yourself this question...if somebody has truly perfected a trading system and they're making 100% GAINS ON EVERY TRADE, LOOK AT MY STATEMENT!!!! ....how long will it take somebody else to employ the same strategy on a very large scale, rendering it ineffective?

Answer? On Wall Street, no time at all.

So would you openly share it? Of course not. If it worked, really worked, you would create vast trading gains very quickly. Selling access to it? For fractions of pennies on the dollar relative to what you can make actually employing it?

Please.

If I had a system that I was fully confident worked in such a manner, I would be all in all the time. You could accumulate gains exceedingly quickly. Charging people a few dollars to watch me? Come on, man...

#1370 4 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Is this 100% of your money in one account? It’s pretty easy to do high risk stuff in an account, that only represents a fraction of your total investments.

You and I both know the answer to this question.

#1378 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Tesla took over the #1 spot on Robin Hood with Millennials, by far, with Apple now #2.
New thesis for me. Oil & Gas equities are finished. They are the new "tobacco". Fossil fuels are dead unless you want to go for some MLP pipelines for dividends.
Millennials are all about green energy and young investment managers are going to avoid Oil stocks.
Most people can't invest over 10 yr periods much less 10 days. Tesla will be a multi bagger from here over that time frame.

You need to remember that oil and gas is used for more than just energy. I realize most people just think of gasoline, but oil is the starting material for chemicals that serve as starting material all over industry.

Plastics, fabrics, rubber, pharmaceuticals, packaging, medical supplies, and I could go on and on ad nausum. And the plants making that stuff don't run on solar, they burn fossils for steam generation

Millennials may like green energy, but liking it doesn't change the reality of modern life. That infrastructure isn't changing anytime soon.

1 week later
#1455 4 years ago

As one of the trumpeters of the buy, hold, buy and stay the course strategy...I will chime in that I have done nothing. Same as 2001 and 2007.

Still sickening when you measure the one day decrease in six figures, I'm not enjoying this.

#1483 4 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

I think the problem is the uncertainty. Stock market likes clarity. You have two spectrums here. We could somehow miraculously make it through with no disruptions or find a cure super quickly and this blows over in a few months. Then you have the opposite where schools/businesses are closed for a long period of time, like no MLB, no NFL, restaurants almost vacant, etc...would really take a toll on the economy.
It'll probably be somewhere in the middle. But until we know for certain, I would guess that we're going to get a lot of drastic moves. The problem is that we're not making the simple moves to reduce immediate risk, like closing flights to Korea or Italy...that's going to bite us here eventually I would guess.
In my opinion, what should have happened is immediate closing of borders for travel, and setup a fund to support affected airlines. Keep the virus from ever getting here at all costs. While painful, that is much better than any of the alternatives. Stock market would not be dropping like it is now if we would have closed the borders...it would have taken a hit, but not a 'fear based' rout.

Actually, a lot of studies and models of this type of situation suggests just the opposite...keeping borders open and allowing commerce to continue is the better option.

#1490 4 years ago
Quoted from LITZ:

Poor poor Jeremy always playing the victim role. I enjoyed reading some of your previous posts here on Pinside! As far as screenshots go, how about a link to the 2020 US Investing Championships? Scroll down to the bottom for the January results and you will see yours truly listed in the Stock Options division (Enhanced Growth). I had a 29% month in January and as of the close yesterday my account is up 50% YTD! This is a verified contest where I send in my broker statements. Past winners happen to be trading legends like Paul Tudor Jones.
https://financial-competitions.com/
Here is last year's Market Watch article. My name will appear in this year's press release.
https://www.marketwatch.com/press-release/united-states-investing-championship-first-month-results-2019-02-14
I am glad you were honest about losing $2K with me and not the entire $3K you started with. There is no way to make money when you are paying insane broker commissions in Canada. But, if you remember the text messages I sent ya, I told you that my main momentum indicator had divergence starting on Oct 22nd and this lasted for 5 weeks. I did not close out my trades because I truly believed the market would rollover. I "TIMED" the market perfectly with my long only 401K account; picking bottoms and selling tops throughout 2019. So, I had no reason to think this indicator would lead me astray. I then explained how I found another momentum indicator to act as a filter since it did not show the same divergence during that Oct- Nov period.
I kept you in the trading room for free so that you could see me recover all those losses. Not only did I recover, I made 100% return on that draw down! Most ppl would have quit and given up after such a bad F- up in front of paying customers! Once I proved my point I booted you out of the room when you started asking for your 3K back! No body is capable of escaping a draw down period. That was mine for 2019 and it's unfortunate you got caught in it. This was the best thing to happen to me. It prepared me to be much more disciplined with cutting my losers when the stops are hit, no questions asked.

At the risk of trolling, I'd really love an update from this trading expert...

#1515 4 years ago

This is the first trading day of the month, so I bought the usual (for us) monthly amount.

3 weeks later
#2849 4 years ago

I missed the last 20 pages.

I'll chime in with what I've done market wise.

A very painful nothing. I did buy the usual amount on Mar 1st.

This is the part of the "set allocation, buy, hold, do not deviate" strategy I believe in that is stomach churning.

I've done this 2 times in the past, 2001 and 2008. I suspect it will not be the last time.

This also when having close to a year of expenses in a cash account can lower stress a bit.

2 weeks later
#3419 4 years ago
Quoted from DadofTwins:

Riddle me this......Oil stocks are down when too much is being produced with low demand and then oil stocks are down after they come to an agreement to scale back production? By no means am I an investing guru, but can someone explain this?

Oil companies are more than just pulling oil out of the ground. Many of them process the oil. With demand in the tank, they're certainly hurting.

2 weeks later
#3822 3 years ago

Just checking in...as most know, I'm the buy, hold, buy, hold, hold, and stay the course dude.

Our total portfolio is down about 10% even.

#3827 3 years ago

I also wanted to add that as of yesterday, our portfolio was about 35% bonds, balance equity funds. Though we are a tad heavy in my wife's company stock grants.

#3925 3 years ago

I own BRKB. They are required to report change in investment value as part of their profit and loss, even though Warren has said in his annual letter that it's stupid as a metric.

I'm not worried.

#4014 3 years ago

Before today's close, our portfolio was down about 5.6% from Jan 1st 2020.

That is a 70/30 index fund portfolio with a do nothing but buy regularly strategy.

I don't know what we're down at the low, maybe 25% or so?

All I can think is...what a massive wealth transfer we just saw. Lots of people selling in a panic on the way down and perhaps now thinking of getting back in. Locking in their losses and handing over their money in the process.

I don't view stocks as zero sum over the long term. But in the short term like this, yeah it's almost zero sum like options are.

I'm not saying this won't get bad again. I'm only suggesting the best strategy is not to play. I didn't. I think it was the right move. Just stay with the plan...but I was not loving it a month or two ago.

#4020 3 years ago
Quoted from investingdad:

Before today's close, our portfolio was down about 5.6% from Jan 1st 2020.
That is a 70/30 index fund portfolio with a do nothing but buy regularly strategy.
I don't know what we're down at the low, maybe 25% or so?
All I can think is...what a massive wealth transfer we just saw. Lots of people selling in a panic on the way down and perhaps now thinking of getting back in. Locking in their losses and handing over their money in the process.
I don't view stocks as zero sum over the long term. But in the short term like this, yeah it's almost zero sum like options are.
I'm not saying this won't get bad again. I'm only suggesting the best strategy is not to play. I didn't. I think it was the right move. Just stay with the plan...but I was not loving it a month or two ago.

Just to clarify, I don't view any of this as some sort of coordinated plan or conspiracy to steal wealth. But I do think the natural tendency of small investors to panic and not stick to their game plan during these situations serves only to enrich those stepping in.

I work very hard to be neither and just ride it out.

Having cash on hand also helps.

2 weeks later
#4179 3 years ago

Based on the morning futures, it's beginning to look more and more like a 3 month wealth transfer.

The unpleasant woman Suze Orman was bragging about how much cheap stock she bought while giving very different advice to her adherents during all this.

I'm happy to say that nobody profited off of me via panic selling.

#4186 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You are more diplomatic than I am. This bought a lot of votes.

Let me be clear, I'm not suggesting in ANY way that the reaction and precautions and seriousness of Covid19 are being overstated. I believe the quarantine and stay at home enacted by States and other nations is appropriate.

I'm simply pointing out that the reactions of small investors to sell into the panic enriched others unwilling to follow said panic.

Stay the course is usually sound advice and I follow it.

#4202 3 years ago
Quoted from Londonpinball:

Is a contract 100 times the price ,
So a 1.25$ contract would cost 125$ ?
And get me in at say 23$ strike price ?

At the risk of sounding like a jerk, if you're asking these questions you've no business in the Options market.

#4227 3 years ago

Incredibly, as of close yesterday, my 70/30 fund portfolio is -4.1% from the high and -1.4% from Jan 1st.

2 weeks later
#4404 3 years ago

I continue to be amazed by those that shun science. None of them high falutin, book learnin fancy folks goin to tell them folks to wear masks.

FWIW, this is the type of extended family I grew up with.

Covid19 has everything to do with what is happening in the market. Actions and lack of action by the population to treat it seriously will only continue to detail the economy.

#4435 3 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Well, looks like I will have to read through this thread.
The company I work for went public 2 weeks ago. Our CEO said months ago that when we went public, the employees would be rewarded with restricted stock units for their loyalty to the company and all their hard work to get us where we are now.
Our IPO was $23 a share, and today it is at $34.75. True to his word, the CEO sent out letters to all employees explaining their RSU allocation. This will take 3 years to vest, but when it does I may just get me a NIB machine for the first time ever.
I have been at this company for 15 years and honestly was hoping to get MAYBE 250 shares of stock. I almost fell over when the letter said that my allocation was 5,346 RSU's.
Work is really annoying sometimes, but I sincerely respect our CEO. He is always looking out for the employees. Even the furloughed workers currently were eligible for stock as well. He is a class act.
Hopefully in 3 years the stock will be over $100 a share. One can dream!
Chris

Give careful consideration to how you'll pay tax on RSUs when they vest. You will have the option of paying cash or taking net shares, the latter meaning you allow the broker to sell some shares at time of vesting to cover the expected tax liability.

If you think the company is only getting stronger, net shares may be a poor choice.

Unfortunately, this is what we did with my wife's RSUs when she started getting them over a decade ago. At the time it didn't seem like a big deal. But as of today, the shares we liquidated to cover the tax piece would have added another 100k to the pot. Fortunately we kept the rest.

We had no idea then the company was going to perform as it has.

#4464 3 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

I have about 100K in VBLAX bonds. Should I get rid of these? What is better?

Better in what sense?

How does the bond position fit into your larger portfolio strategy and acceptable risk level?

I think a lot of inexperienced and 'investing uneducated' folks read posts in threads like this one and get a lot of inappropriate advice, bad ideas, and then make bad decisions.

When I see posts asking about trading options, but not understanding basics like contract size, or asking if there is 'something better' than XYZ investment, all I see is somebody on the precipice of making a bad decision.

A pinball forum is not the sort of place where I'd be seeking financial advice if I were asking these sorts of questions.

It's like going to a car dealership and asking if they have anything better.

#4468 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Doing some simple math and making assumptions, it sound like you have roughly 6,000 or so shares. The investment is up about 3 bucks since it's inception, so depending upon your purchase price, you could have up to about 18K of profit, plus a 3.3% dividend. That is a pretty good lick, but it all depends on as investingdad said your tolerances, etc. Could you make more money in other places? Sure. But you would have to make those decisions.

Not necessarily.

These are Admiral shares. Vanguard does auto conversion from investor shares to Admiral once you meet a holding threshold in the investment. Admiral are even lower cost.

VBLAX is a new Admiral class that was created not long ago.

It's very possible his true cost basis is much lower if was converted from investor shares.

#4469 3 years ago

I read that. Poor guy.

Let's be clear, those strategies are very advanced. For most, it's nearly gambling. Options were originally intended to function as a form of insurance or risk mitigation on an underlying investment.

A lot of people that play with them don't really understand them.

#4479 3 years ago

Looking at the Robin hood response, I'm wondering if the guy may have actually been net positive on that trade.

I'll be honest, if it had been me, I would have been in a panic as well.

Therein is the rub on certain options contracts, the potential for unlimited downside. Naked calls are no joke.

#4514 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

My unvarnished advice to you is such:
If you are a passive investor, you are screwing yourself. You need to be active on the news of what is going on in the markets and political arenas.

With all due respect, I simply do not agree with this advice and believe it in error.

I've been a passive investor since I was 23 and am heading into my late 40s. I was passive in 2000, 2001, 2008, and now 2020.

My results stand on their own and my 25 year passive strategy has proven itself as valid.

At the moment, our portfolio is worth between 25 and 30 times our annual expenses.

I've never missed a run up, never caught a falling knife, never sold at a loss, never paid taxes on trading churn, and never lost sleep trying to decide if I needed to jump in or out.

Investing and wealth building are a lot easier than financial advisors and active traders would have you believe.

#4517 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

What you are saying works historically for a diversified portfolio. I believe what DBLM was referring to is people that are buying individual stocks (or options trading) and not paying attention to being in a diversified S&P like spread of stocks. For example if you bought several retail, airline, and tech stocks but not much of typical boring blue chips then you may get burned or miss out on the full market performance long term.

That I agree with.

Perhaps it's my own bias, when I hear 'passive investor', I automatically assume we are talking about a well diversified portfolio that just sits there and emulates an index.

2 weeks later
#4590 3 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

Silly question, assuming you own several lots of the same stock does it make sense to sell the ones with largest profit or it doesn’t matter as long as they are long to minimize the tax impact? Just trying to figure out if there’s a benefit in one approach over the other when selling

It depends entirely on why you're selling.

5 months later
#6227 3 years ago

I haven't posted to this thread since... I'm not sure when.

But as the resident buy monthly, just Hold, never sell, stick with index funds investor, I wanted to give my update for 2020.

By doing absolutely nothing this year, my portfolio total return is ~15.2%.

This was a good year.

#6250 3 years ago
Quoted from RojerLockless:

Anyone buying just about anything in the market the last 2 months has made 50% or more. Welcome to this wild ride! Grab a seat.

The question is, how many people sold just to jump back in.

I've said it before, will repeat again... many folks here are making investing WAY more complicated than it needs to be.

The constant barrage of ticker symbols that people *feel* are due for a big move must be exhausting.

#6268 3 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

Damn dude, what do you do for living? Looking for any interns?

I think saving 20% to 30% of a paycheck is entirely reasonable.

To max 401 and IRA on the basis of saving 30% requires an 85k income. Most engineers can earn this after a few years of work, many other fields as well...but I'm most familiar with engineering.

It does not require a huge salary. It does require living below your means.

#6270 3 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

speaking of 401ks.. both my wife and i have that maxed out every year. We are over Roth income limits. As i want to retire at 55 or earlier (currently 43) starting to build a pile of money outside of vehicles that have age limits attached. Is the only tax advantaged strategy left simply holding on to everything for at least 12 months? Started seeing "backdoor roth" and the 5 year rule in googling.. is that something to chase down?

I would strongly encourage you to consider dumping money into an HSA and investing it a tad conservatively if you're not already. Don't use it for today's medical expenses, use it post retirement.

Like you, we both max our 401ks and IRAs and are well over the Roth limit. The HSA is another fine tax shelter.

I've also learned it's a good idea to use my taxable investment accounts to hold those funds that don't pay out dividends, instead... I've set my portfolio mix so those fund reside in sheltered accounts.

#6280 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

The High deductible plan requirement is what has historically killed HSAs for me. Has this requirement changed recently?
Because let me tell ya, $450-$500 for 3 months of insulin vs $9-$10 destroys the value proposition if I am still forced to go high deductible.

As you say, it requires a High Deductible health plan. For my family, this makes sense. It has been a huge boon for us over the last decade.

#6296 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

To those of you that say "I'm never ever selling stock XYZ": Do you just want it to go to your estate? Don't you want to enjoy the fruits of your labors and risks you took? A retirement mansion? Very early retirement? Toys?
Just curious as we all know that every investment will eventually go bad. Even Amazon, Wal-Mart, Apple and Tesla will one day become almost or fully worthless.

I often state that I don't sell, I only buy...index funds not stocks.

We invest to retire early. At 47, our portfolio is currently 30X our expenses. I anticipate we can retire in <5 years if we wish. That brings a tremendous amount of freedom and freedom from worry. We could retire now if we wanted to curb our spending, but I'd rather not do that.

We use salary to pay for things we want, not liquidated portfolio holdings. We live below our means to accommodate that. So no, I don't sell investments to pay for stuff. We live off salary.

This is why I don't have a collection of pins in my gameroom even though I could. Because not losing sleep over stuff like Covid layoffs is pretty nice.

That's the fruit of our labor... security and independence.

#6303 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Ackman may have made a mistake with the short position, but he was 100% correct that Herbalife was and is a total junk business.
But you do realize Ackman is a very successful multi-billionaire, right? Hard to be called a tool when literally everything (besides Valeant) he has invested in has made him and his investors massive money.
Let's also not forget Bill made one of the best trades ever recorded this year- the "tool" turned $27M into $2.6B in only a few weeks.
Also, y

Having a lot of money does not preclude one from being a tool. If anything, it increases the probability.

#6324 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

You really can’t compare a currency vs a company...

No you can't. Bitcoin produces nothing. Like gold... except gold at least has practical use as a metal.

#6338 3 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

"Every gold piece you save is a worker bee to work for you. Every copper it earns is its child that also can earn for you."
I'm not trading anything, I'm buying bits of a company, a company that makes money and will continue to. This company then gives me money when they earn a profit. Bitcoin does not do that. If bitcoin is the future currency then I'll trade my bits of companies out for bitcoin or schmeckles or whatever.
Last post on bitcoin because I like it. I'm happy if you won the bitcoin game. Just don't label it something it is not.

Agreed.

Companies produce something and generate cash flow, may pay dividends, etc.

Bitcoin and currency speculation are predicated upon the notion somebody else in the future is going to pay more than I did.

There is no way, none, zippo...that you can compare or suggest they are equivalent class of assets.

Hell, even tulips produced more tulips.

1 week later
#6531 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Here is a 2 yr anniversary of a young person Roth IRA account, to the day, January 11th, 2019 that i just reviewed. Are they happy? I'm going to reallocate some of those positions like JPM, Monster Bev and Zynga to buy some NET and TDOC. How about that for a SPAC?
As you can see PINS, TWLO and ROKU are still short-term gains bought with additional money added.
[quoted image]

If my advisor was posting screen shots of my account to a public forum, anonymous or not, no...I wouldn't be happy.

I'd terminate business dealings with them.

#6612 3 years ago
Quoted from Bospins:

A tip for anyone with a company Match 401k
My returns were crappy because I had some standard fidelity mutual funds to pick from when I set it up. They got me a whopping 20% last year, as my personal stuff more than doubled. Frustrating

It's posts like this that raise my internal alarm bell that we are in another 1999 or 2007.

The exuberance and disregard for sensible risk management popping up lately is remarkable.

#6698 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Hell this forum can make you feel poor, especially when you start looking at the gameroom thread.

Don't confuse game rooms with wealth. Just because somebody has a lot of pins and a big game room does not mean they are well of. Does. Not.

#6740 3 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

I don’t think the investment banks love to cover stocks that didn’t do an IPOs with them either. I don’t get that vibe. “See - go off on your own and you fail without us”. Could be wrong though
I am long PLTR and will hold through the holding period. I would add more and at $22 I would be pretty happy. $15 stoked! 2.5% of my portfolio now.

You're long a company that makes up 2.5% of your portfolio that, last quarter, reported an operating income of -$847 million and cash from operations at -$278 million?

#6770 3 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Couple questions for a new guy doing this:
Where do you get your info as far as who is buying what (Senate/Congress/MAJOR big companies)?
How do you trade OTC stocks or other stocks that aren't on NYSE or NASDAQ (ARKX being a good example of a stock I want to buy but not available on either website)? WeBull and RH won't let you. What online broker do you use?
What websites help give you information (mergers, new CEOs, new advancements, owners investing into hundreds of thousands of their own companies stock, etc) to determine what stocks to buy in pre/post market?
I'm sure I will have many, many more questions as I just started doing this. For being a couple weeks in, I am doing ok, but man, there are some MF'ing major players in this thread, and I want to absorb knowledge.
Please be very gentle with me. This would be akin to a new pinball owner asking how to take the glass off their game...

My advice is to max your savings, invest in two or three index funds that gives you a good balance of risk (equity and bond holdings) based on age, max your 401k for company match, max your IRA, and do that for the next 25 years. Don't sell, buy monthly regardless of what markets are doing.

Don't play with individual stocks.

Aim for saving 25% of your gross salary and work to make that happen. Marry somebody with similar ideals.

It's how we built a 7 figure portfolio in 16 years and compounded it quickly over the next ten. It's simple, it's boring, it's not what this thread is about. It's not complicated.

If you want to gamble, by all means, ignore my advice.

#6783 3 years ago
Quoted from DadofTwins:

Looking for some guidance here. I invest in my 401k thru work and they don't match at all nor do they cover any of the plan costs. I am paying out of my own pocket about 1.2% a year in fees which to me seems ludicrous since thats money I won't have working for me or availablein the future. I tried googling 401k fees for comparisons, and the results are all over the place. Is it way out of hand?

If the fees in question are fund fees, that's crazy high. Passive index funds will have a nominal fee in the range of 0.5% or less, often much less. My guess is that you are talking about an actively managed fund.

My opinion is that actively managed funds will not do better long term, often worse. Add the fee on top and it's even less. Data backs me up on this.

You can see the fund fee as you click through the fund info, it will be clearly marked.

I lump fund fees and advisor fees into the same bucket, an unnecessary drain of your money that can be eliminated with just a little effort and education on the part of the investor.

1 week later
#7059 3 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Let's be honest here... what are stocks actually? They are "currency" in a given company. Just because a company issues stock doesn't mean it's safe, nor does it make it any more legitimate than a crypto currency designed to solve the massive inefficiencies with the current global currency exchange via banks. In fact Janet Yellen came out in support of crypto currency this week (while noting its illicit uses as well, which, if you want to be honest, happens with stocks all the time in many forms of white collar crime. I've seen plenty of this first hand, but those are stories for another day).
And when it comes down to it, all the technical indicators that apply to trading stocks apply the same to crypto. And let's not forget those people who make a living trading fiat currencies, or commodities, or bonds, or the fact that there are plenty of NYSE and NASDAQ stocks and funds that are directly related to crypto currency. So honestly while I support the desires of people in this thread to want crypto discussion elsewhere, I'll also argue trading crypto isn't different enough from stock trading to lay down a blanket ban from this thread... just a gentle nudge into the bitcoin/crypto thread should suffice.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/somebody-explain-bitcoin-to-me

This is not a good analogy.

Stock represents fractional ownership in a company. It's not currency in any sense of the word.

#7515 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

This dramatic market action feels very dangerous and ominous for the markets as a whole.

Yes. Yes it does.

It's going to end in tears for somebody. Always does.

#7521 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

It does regardless. Not everybody can win. Not how markets work.

That's not true at all.

Options are zero sum.

Equities are not.

#7982 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Wait what? This has always been a "trading" thread, not investing. Except when investingdad shows up. It's just that the trades changed from days/weeks to minutes.

I try to bring a balanced and pragmatic view to investing in the markets so that people that don't know what they're doing, or worse.... think they know what they're doing, don't come here, read selective posts, think it's easy, and then get their asses handed to them.

Then, to make it worse, they AVOID saving and investing at all going forward because they lost money and think it's impossible to beat the big guys... failing to understand that it is not a competition at all.

Many are under the mistaken impression that the path to wealth is fast and a few clicks on the trading button. I've always advocated an approach that takes time but will lead to a seven figure (or more) portfolio...I mean, people like the idea of having that kind of wealth level, right?

I don't push the "fast money, STONKS LOL" approach... that's true. But I know what my Quicken balances tell me and how I got there.

Sticking with a simple plan works when times are both bad and good.

To each their own. Carry on.

#7984 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

I was giving you props. I wish I'd just bought index funds for the last 20 years. I'd have 3x or more what I do now.

Yeah, no worries. Didn't read it negative at all.

#8697 3 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

What’s the difference between the first 2? Both do the same

One is backed by government issued securities, the other is backed by Treasury issued securities.

The returns can differ. There's also a difference in liquidity of the holdings.

Not to sound like an ass, but the explanation of why it's asking you is right below the image you posted. Did you read it? Because if you're not bothering to read this stuff it's only a matter of time before your'e in over your head and getting hurt on trades you don't fully understand.

#8733 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Never seen a stock frenzy like this in my 25 years of investing.
So many newbies that really don't understand what they are doing and the potential consequences.
I have employees trading stocks and asking me questions - never had that happen ever
Sadly, this is going to end very poorly for a lot of people

Yep. I probably sound like a broken record to regular posters on this thread because I keep saying the same thing, but trying to say it differently each time so as not to sound like said broken record.

1999 and 2000 were similar. I was a few years out of undergrad, but was getting my MBA. The combination of learning real financial analysis and not having extra money to lose is what spared me any real pain.

There are a handful of posters on here making some complex trades... based on what I think they're doing, those folks appear to have a solid grasp of the complexities and risks.

But there appears to be a lot of irresponsible trading as well. When somebody was bemoaning only being up something like 10% in a few weeks, I felt like I jumped into a flux capacitor powered Delorean and set the time circuits for Feb 2000.

#8782 3 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

First of all, I wasn’t going to post this but you did sound like an ass judging me without knowing in what situation I was in at that moment.
I’ve been trying to get into Fidelity all weekend long. I want to buy more GME and AMC, that’s my decision and I fully understand the consequences. Fidelity kept asking me stupid questions to verify my identity. I would answer them correctly and they kept shutting me down!
When I posted that picture, that was because Fidelity had FINALLY accepted my answers to those questions. I was not at home and I was in a hurry and needed to pick one of those options quickly because the page was going to time out.
I needed to make a quick decision on which one to pick because I had already tried so many times and it had finally accepted my application and the page was going to time out!
So NO I didn’t have time at that exact moment to dive deep and read what each of those 3 options offered. I posted in hopes of getting a quick answer because I know you guys are very smart (including you) and know your stuff.
Yes I’m a rookie at this, I’m just a beginner. I’m sorry sir but there’s no need for you to bust my balls or make me look like an idiot that was too lazy to read what those 3 options meant because that wasn’t the case at all.
To make a long story short, the damn page refreshed and my application was gone. I Kept trying without Success. I have now read what those 3 options are but Fidelity still won’t work for me.
All of this happened because I was in such a hurry to open up another account that lets me buy the stocks I want. Any other day I would have taken my time and research what those 3 options offered. Sorry again.

I accept your criticism, that's why I prefaced my reply the way I did.

#8869 3 years ago

I tried to edit a reply with more info a few pages back and screwed it up when I hit back on my browser and tried to fix a double post.

Anyway, i was responding to assumed rate of return that i use for my personal planning.

Back in 1998 when i first had the epiphany of going all in on saving and living cheap to do so such that i could invest as much as possible while still in my 20s and compound over decades...i used 10%.

Because DOT COM, Get Big Fast, Break Stuff and Burn Cash, IPO!!!....yeah. Anyway, after getting deeper into my MBA i was trying to reconcile what the markets were doing and what the profs were saying. The profs turned out to be right after the bubble popped.

So I decided 7% was sensible. After 9/11, i wondered if it should be less...but, again, the profs were right.... transient events don't negate historical norms.

So I've gravitated to 7% with an adjustment down to 5% on the low side as I shift to more bonds (35% now) as I begin approaching 50.

#9345 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I see you are using your cash (playing volatility) that is not without risk, if it was risk free everyone would do it. Everything has a risk premium.
I've been investing for 25 years myself and I never took myself out of the market because it looked high (I never missed out out on the big gains), I don't look at investing as this year or the next 1-4 year time frame, I am 55 and could be alive in 40 years so I plan on the long term investing not getting spooked every time the market looks high, 20 years from now todays prices will looks cheap as hell.

I've been investing the same period of time as you, though I'm 47.

We share identical sentiments. Though I think I've concluded this some time ago based on your posts.

I've never been out of the market either. We keep about 12 months expenses in cash (have done since married in our late 20s)... everything else is invested, all the time. No dry powder, there is no powder, it's all in.

My risk is entirely managed via dispersion through index funds and, further, balance through a mix of equity based and debt based funds. Easiest, cleanest way to do it.

#9550 3 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

This cracked me up
[quoted image]

Funny.

This should be animated so the stairs collapse under the guy.

1 month later
#11203 3 years ago
Quoted from DadofTwins:

I'm sure that buying and holding will net you larger gains, but that's what I have a IRA and 401k for. I'm normally an impatient person so I like to daytrade with some extra money we have. .

This statement is hard for me to understand.

You agree that buy and hold will out perform your day trading, but you day trade anyway?

Why not invest the same way in taxable accounts as your tax sheltered accounts?

Isn’t the goal to make the best return you can?

#11216 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

because people like, and get addicted, to gambling --- so buy gambling stocks

I think that’s the crux of it.

Unfortunately, I think many people get burned early on and decide that you “can’t beat the Wall Street house casino” and conclude falsely that what they were doing was investing and swear all of it off to their detriment... when they were never really investing at all.

I often wonder how often this scenario plays out on here and similar forums:

Newb: geez, everyone is making a ton of money in the market, I want in.
Newb: any recommendations or hot stocks to try?
Trading guy: I like [high flying risk stock flavor of the day] and am taking positions in both the asset and some options as well.
Newb: great, I’m jumping in! Only have 2k to invest but YOLO

Meanwhile, unbeknownst to Newb, Trading guy has spent several decades building large levels of wealth slowly through rational and logical investing and thoughtful spending versus income. Now, he doesn’t mind a little risk because 50k is a fraction of his thirty year portfolio.

High flying stock tanks 50%, Trading guy moves on because a 25k loss is negated by a 1% gain in his rational portfolio, and Newb is burned and scarred.

#11224 3 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

If you're losing 25k at any stage of the game then you're not doing it right.

My point here is just that if you’re working with a 5 million dollar portfolio, a 1% daily move on aggregate is 50k. A 25k loss on an individual stock play gets lost in the noise of market churn.

2 weeks later
#11802 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Hey all, looking for some opinions on investments that generate a little monthly income. Long story short, my mother is going to assisted living and we will be selling her house and will have a lump of money to use for her care. Her pension and SS will almost cover her monthly outlay, but will be a little short, so we need the house proceeds to generate income. If we had $150,000 in cash, is there a way to reliably and safely generate a couple of hundred dollars a month?
Thanks for your opinions.

How old is your mom and what is an expected life span for her? How much is a few hundred a month?

Why invest it at all?

Put it in the bank as cash, pull $500 a month, you fully deplete it at 25 years. No risk at all.

1 week later
#12018 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

No, you're $20 in the hole if that stock goes to 0. What you described is a pyramid with ever increasing returns. Not sustainable.

You’re failing to consider that the stock you’re trading represents a piece of a company with real earnings and growth potential to support the price. It’s not like a piece of art that just sits there not doing anything.

People seem to forget that when you buy stock, you’re buying a company and future earnings.

#12024 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Every company will go bankrupt eventually, it just might not happen in our lifetime like a Kmart or Sears or Chesapeake or so many more did.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/why-shares-of-bankrupt-companies-usually-go-bad

I think you’re missing my point, whether intentionally or not I cannot say.

Every company is expected to produce earnings and cash flow, allowing us to price shares of stock based on discounting those future earnings. There’s basis for a valuation. The company is producing something.

It is hardly zero sum.

Hell, even if the company does go bankrupt, I didn’t necessarily lose money as a shareholder assuming I held it long enough and received dividends in excess of what I paid.

#12026 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

I respect your opinions but this isn't 1980s stock market. The current over valuation of the market has little to do with future expected valuations or even current evaluations. When companies like AMC and GME or even TSLA are bleeding revenue, and their stocks increase 400%, we are no longer buying on value. Its gambling. And just like the last guy in on GME at $480, there will be a lot of bag holders in this market.
So if you want to claim dividends make it not zero sum, then I would counter, not all stocks produce dividends, and the trading and option fees and buy/sell spread across all stocks more than compensate for the 1 to 2% gained in dividends of select stocks.

How are you arriving at the conclusion the market is overvalued? Not individual stocks, the broader market?

#12030 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

I respect your opinions but this isn't 1980s stock market. The current over valuation of the market has little to do with future expected valuations or even current evaluations. When companies like AMC and GME or even TSLA are bleeding revenue, and their stocks increase 400%, we are no longer buying on value. Its gambling. And just like the last guy in on GME at $480, there will be a lot of bag holders in this market.
So if you want to claim dividends make it not zero sum, then I would counter, not all stocks produce dividends, and the trading and option fees and buy/sell spread across all stocks more than compensate for the 1 to 2% gained in dividends of select stocks.

Companies that don’t pay dividends put the cash back into the company, increasing valuation.

If equities are zero sum, than the economy is zero sum.

Don’t mix your argument with options, those are zero sum.

#12033 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Except that 40% of companies, have been LOSING money. They aren't putting any cash back into the company.
https://www.pymnts.com/news/investment-tracker/2020/40-pct-us-listed-companies-report-losses/

It still doesn’t make it zero sum.

I’m not arguing that markets are over or undervalued, that some companies are making or losing money. I’m simply stating that the trade of equities is not zero sum.

#12035 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

You asked the question, "How are you concluding that markets are overvalued", which would suggest that you believe they are not. So if that's not debating, I'm not sure what you were asking? And yes, agreed, we have cross pollinated the arguments between zero sum and over valuation.
I'm not going to further pollute the thread...I'm sure many are tired of the ramblings. Back to suggesting stocks and investing strategies

I’m not sure if they are or not. I’m concerned the run up has been optimistic with the jury still being out. But it doesn’t change my core view on zero sum.

In any case, I’m not trying to be argumentative with anyone. I just believe strongly in this and I think a lot of investors are investing with some misconceptions and misunderstanding of the underpinning basics.

1 week later
#12373 3 years ago

I have zero idea where the market is headed, but the rebound from last March has been breathtaking.

We saw our portfolio jump from 24x expenses to 34x expenses in just 13 months. That’s... amazing.

This is why I don’t try to time or trade, because I never imagined we’d see this move over this period of time. I’d be sick to my stomach if I’d panic sold last March.

It’s not sustainable, I just don’t know how much of a pullback or when.

#12376 3 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Hopefully we get a clear signal to the end of this push like a parabolic price rise across the board...

For me, it won’t matter. I’ll stop hitting the refresh button on Quicken for however long I have to... the equivalent of a toddler sticking his fingers in his ears, closing his eyes, and going BLAH BLAH BLAH... until it recovers.

It’s been my go to strategy for 25 years.

#12442 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Congrats! Last year was a good year all the way around for a lot of folks. I got out of the market at the early stages of COViD and rebought much lower and did very well. I know you would not advocate that strategy but it worked for me.
Sounds like you are an early retirement/ FIRE guy. Have you checked in on that thread here? Some pretty interesting discussions over there.

I would not, but do not begrudge those that do if they understand what they’re doing. This has always been my view.

I know the limits of my ability and I’d end up paralyzed on when to buy back in if I had sold. For me, it would be too easy to miss the recovery.

Nicely done if you caught it, that’s a big gainer.

#12545 2 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

So obviously some of you have been doing this a long time, so what is your thought on preservation of capital? Mostly notably selling a portion of a position and then reentering at some point in the future even if that price of that asset has increased?
For example, you buy 100 shares of Stock XYZ at $100. The price goes to $200 and you sell 50, putting the initial investment back in your pocket. At some point in the future, weather it be a month or a year, Stock XYZ is $265.
Is someone an idiot for getting back in when they could have just held it the entire time?

What are you doing with the cash when it’s not invested?

And, have you taken into account the drag of short term capital gains when you sell and repurchase?

I wonder how often the short term cap gains is overlooked when people are calculating their performance...

#12547 2 years ago

No capital gains tax when trading within a tax advantaged account like an IRA.

That’s valid. I use my IRA accounts to rebalance my portfolio for this reason.

2 weeks later
#13009 2 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

traders don't make money without volatility

You got that right on the money.

My 16 year old recently decided to invest $300 in the market, one share of DIS and one S&P index fund share. Poor kid bought at the wrong time and is hating the mouse for devaluing her investment by $13.

In some ways, this is better than immediate gains as it will show her why I subscribe to buy and hold.

3 weeks later
#13351 2 years ago

Here’s the half year update from the resident non-trader, index funds only, buy never sell, stop trading and churning guy. I’m providing this simply as a benchmark of how my strategy is doing so far this year.

Total return +7.4%

I had to back out the new money we added and saved but this is pretty close. Our portfolio is about 30% bonds and 70% equity funds.

If we could maintain this for another 3.5 years, we’d be at 42x yearly expenses saved at the time we’re age 51. At that point, staying in our careers becomes pretty optional and at our discretion. Naturally, this assumes no black swan events. Personally, I would be satisfied with 7% a year for the next three years as opposed to every 6 months, which I do not think is realistic at all.

I’m sharing the prior paragraph of info as a personal validation of why I believe in this strategy.

#13359 2 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

I appreciate your post. It got me to look at my own returns for the YTD. They are 7%, worse than the 12% of the S&P or total stock market. It was about 5-6 months ago that I started following this thread and using Motley Fool. For the three years prior to that when I exclusively used my own system for finding, buying, and selling, my returns averaged 2-3x the S&P and TSM average returns. So I looked at my current holdings. Everything I have that is in the green is something I found myself. Everything in the red, with the exception of two holdings, is something I heard about here or from Motley Fool. The one exception is high dividend stocks like BXMT, EPD, and QYLD, all of which I heard about here and all of which have done well for me.

I do expect my total return to be less than the S&P because I’m 30% bonds.

#13375 2 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Thanks for sharing. Seems like you are on great path to reach your goals!
I looked and I am chugging along up 12.8% this year after being up 56% last year. These returns are on my whole portfolio including my cash. I always have 10%-20% cash on the side. I am at 10% now.
I pivoted completely out of my 2020 momentum last February and switched mostly to value and a little SPY and QQQ so I didn’t take an ARK etf type drop off from my 2020 gains. PLTR SE TTD MELI ROKU were my top 5 holdings before “the purge”. I have bought a little back into momentum though, but no where near what I had before which was almost 2/3 of my portfolio. I have a fairly large amount in also so I take my moves pretty seriously and am pretty disciplined. I didn’t really do them but CCIV was my last YOLO type trade with a few percent of my portfolio and I got out pretty well selling half before the Lucid announcement but after that I went ehhh?? and tapped out of my momentum. I buy and sell to adjust but don’t day trade.
Once again seems like you are a diligent saver and buy and holder which will get you to your goals and that’s really good. The one thing I wonder about is the 30% bond part of your portfolio. Not sure what you are in but the yields are so low on Bonds right now. The Fed is tapering the purchases of bonds which will help with the pricing a bit , but the Fed had to bail out the bond market last year big time. Bonds have risk. I don’t fully understand the bond market but from when I look I can’t really find upside in it with yields so low and they will be for a long time. I personally would rather be in a dividend energy stock, safe REITs like O STOR NNN STAG, or dividend ETF like PEY RDIV or SCHD for some upside and yield. Or maybe some SPY for upside but with cash to balance out for safety. But you may have good reasoning behind it that I don’t know of pr understand though. A lot I don’t know.
Not meant to be a swipe at you at all. You had to do a lot of things right to be in the position that you are. I wish you well.
All the folks here I wish well too. I oddly learned A TON from being on here, especially 2020. Thanks!

We were about 100% equity when I was turning 35. If you do the math you’ll see that was around 2008. I realized I needed to temper our risk profile after the finance and housing meltdown. So, after things mostly recovered I began to rebalance. My goal was 65/35 by age 50. I’ve since decided I’m ok with 70/30. So, I began a decade long transition from equity to bonds to get that balance. Yeah, I play the long game when planning.

The bonds are intended to smooth out the ups and downs.

We are ahead of schedule for hitting our number. I originally thought 59 back when I was 23. I’m now targeting 52. Reality is, we could do it now if we wanted to budget and plan but I don’t want to do that. So, five more years should do it.

#13411 2 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

Most of the stocks I'm not doing well on were ones recommended by Motley Fool. They jumped up 5-6% the first day they were recommended but then dropped. I did well if I bought right away and then just took my profits in the first day or two. I feel like the MF team buys a stock, then recommends it the next day and then just takes it profits for that up day. When this doesn't work out, they keep recommending the same stocks. Thus why they have been recommending ZM, CRWD, and LMND for a few months. Maybe I'm wrong but they seem to have enough influence that this would be a brilliant way to make a lot of money.

Not sure where that crosses the line into illegal, I think they have to disclose holdings in the article.

But this sort of thing was popular in the dot com bubble, news letters by email with daily hot picks in the penny market. What a joke and scam. I learned a lot by watching and not doing.

#13460 2 years ago

Here is my question for those investing in digital currency.

Why are you buying it? If you think it’s the future, when is that? What does that mean? Are you going to spend it to buy stuff? Why do you want to use it to buy stuff over regular money? Does that mean you think the price of digital currency will stabilize relative to the goods it will be purchasing in the future? Are you buying it because the price is going up? If the latter, it’s just a purely speculative play.

Count me as a doubter of digital currency offering anything much other than a potential mechanism to facilitate transactions that want to stay out of the light of day, and those that are hoping to cash in on speculation. Maybe that changes but for now that’s all I see see when I look at it.

#13527 2 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

Did you just disagree with yourself? Pinside never ceases to amaze even to a prehistoric caveman
[quoted image]

You know, I always thought that picture was a Klingon….

2 weeks later
#13813 2 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

You want to avoid index funds and by actual stocks imo. There is huge asset bubble being created by funds. Look up Cathy Woods video on the potential crash they will cause. Buy quality stocks and big tech on dips.
NYCB has 6 percent dividend.
AAPL has a 2 percent.
CLF value play.
AMZN has to split. Eating retail.
Im looking for my next double. I rode TSLA and GBTC (Bitcoin Trust) for 3x gain.
Be ready for when Biden retires and Nancy P becomes VP. We are due a 10 percent drop. GL

I guess I’ve been doing it wrong all this time, tell me more about why my index funds strategy is a losing proposition?

#13844 2 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Why don't you want a 529? IMHO it's a much more flexible vehicle than a retirement account. If my kid doesn't go to college that's fine then I just pay taxes on the earnings and a 10% penalty on earnings. NBD. Pretty sure that's the same rules as the Roth IRA's early distribution. Except the 529 doesn't have a max annual contribution (although there are lifetime total contributions, between $300k and $500k depending).
I have $31K in my son's 529; we contribute $350 a month to it, plus I've been drawing down an inherited IRA and funneling the money into the 529 for him (best gift my mom could have ever given, my son will get to go to college for free).
As far as my son's actual retirement, well, I mean, if I plan my retirement right, he will probably inherit my retirement accounts at some point. Hopefully he has good financial luck and we teach him the right lessons about money. I think by taking care of his college he'll have a clean slate to be able to buy a home and start a family earlier than a lot of others who are burdened with loans.

I never got on the 529 bus either.

I’m of the opinion that I can finance college but I can’t finance retirement. Worse case was my retirement saving was not working in which case our kids would have to pay their own college.

I also thought that by prioritizing retirement investing and starting as early as I did, if things went to plan, we’d be in a position where the loss of the 529 tax benefit would be unfortunate but acceptable.

Fortunately, that’s where we landed.

This isn’t the right path for everyone but it made sense to me.

1 week later
#14090 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Can you point out some research? I cannot figure out how you guys know what sector is about to be hot and which isnt, from day to day.

Here’s a tip, nobody does. You only hear from the people that called it correct on a given day.

Think decades, not days.

1 week later
#14360 2 years ago

Well folks, if the hot tips of the day dry up, you can always buy index funds….

1 month later
#14791 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Emotional In
"Ronald James Read (October 23, 1921 – June 2, 2014) was an American philanthropist, investor, janitor, and gas station attendant".
A rich philanthropist who is also a janitor and a gas station attendant, quite a unique character in financial history.
Mr. Read worked in a gas station for 25 years, and he swept floors at JC Penney for 17 years. He also served in the U.S. Army in Italy during World War II.
Ronald Read died in 2014 at 92 years of age, with nearly $8 million in assets. He left $1.2 million to Brooks Memorial Library and $4.8 million to Brattleboro Memorial Hospital.
The $8 million janitor did not win the lottery or receive any big inheritances. He just lived frugally and invested in blue-chip stocks for the long term, as simple and powerful as that.
Mr. Read's portfolio was unsophisticated, owning many dividend-paying blue-chip names. He owned 95 stocks, including mostly safe names like Procter & Gamble, JPMorgan Chase, General Electric, and Johnson & Johnson.
Throughout most of his life, Mr. Read was holding on to stocks for the long term, adding to positions and reinvesting the dividends. He was a consistent buyer as opposed to an active trader.

So based on this I think we can say that paying a financial advisor to actively manage one’s money is a losing proposition.

I agree.

#14797 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

My client’s disagree with you obviously. It’s about creating a holistic game plan for life that integrates legal, tax and financial.
And I do it for less. But most people aren’t as smart as you now are they Investingdad?
I advise people that if you’d like to avoid my fees that start at 80 basis points and include all of the above planning then call my daughter who is a CFP and works at Vanguard. Lol
They usually choose me but hey some people don’t need my help. That’s fine. And between the tax planning and use of indiv stocks, low cost etfs from Vanguard and other options I can bring the net fees WAY down
The floor is all yours Dad!

You’re pretty insecure aren’t you?

#14802 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

You yell out your own name a lot, don’t ya?

I don’t know what that means.

I do think it’s pretty strange for a financial advisor to brag on a forum about assets under management and, as he once did, post screen shots of a client’s account.

3 weeks later
#14998 2 years ago

Do the posters that make suggestions of what to buy also come back and tell you when to sell?

2 months later
#15660 2 years ago

Not quite end of year as yet, but I wanted to share my passive, don’t trade, never sell, and only slightly rebalance once a year strategy Rate of Return for those that are interested.

Looking at one of the institutions where about 25% of our portfolio resides:

83% equity based funds
17% bond funds

Year to date return is 18.3%.

Level of effort was zero.

#15664 2 years ago

Looking back at my 2021 market predictions, holy crap was I wrong on every single count and don’t ever take investing advice from me!
I ignored my own advice and refinanced my house at 1.75% (only smart thing I did).
I stayed the course on my 401k investment strategy (that paid off).
I bailed early on my ICLN, ARKK, and ARKG investments in favor of CCIV/LUCID and I’m glad I did (still slowly unwinding that at a profit). At the time of the original posting 1 year ago ICLN was at 34.03… it is now at $21. ARKK was at 141.85, it is now at 93.31. ARKG was at 104.79, it is now at 59.88. I still have a little of of the kids money in that, but I’m not touching it for 10 years so am fine with it.
On my individual stocks, PINS was at 72.30 and is now at 35.99 (I bailed early on that for a nice profit). DNMR was at 26.75 and is now at $8.24. The only stock I recommended against was at $853 and is now at $1083 (I’m holding a bit of that still).
My winners for the year have been CCIV/LCID. I am slowly unwinding those into less risky plays.
My (don’t ever listen to me) recommendations for the year are SPY, QQQ, VIGAX, and/or their component holdings.
Overall I am up about 7% for the year. If I had just dumped my money into the S&P I'd be up something like 30%. My last big dump into the market went into SPY. Depending on how things go this year I may just go that way going forward.

We also refinanced early in 2021 when it looked like rates could be at a bottom.

We went from 20 years left on a 30 year into a brand new 15 year. The rate is 1 7/8 and the payment increased about $20 a month. We eliminated 60 monthly payments and net savings will be north of $50 grand.

1 week later
#15787 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Here you go smart ass. You and big baller Kvan. And btw I charge 80 basis points. That’s .80 for the math challenged. Top rate. AND that includes estate planning, wills and trusts, LLCs and tax planning as a CPA as well. Check my ADV. lol
And my clients f ing love me! Over 1900 accounts and $1.1 billion aum. So think on that one.
Just for YOU TWO haters and the other shit talkers here. Next time pay attention and make some $$$. Everybody else? I love you and carry on.
Post em up Big ballers!!!
[quoted image][quoted image]

This may be a surprise, but you’re not the only pinsider with money, just the only one that feels the need to validate themselves to strangers by trying to prove it.

#15805 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:Oh ok, so now it's billons? Cool, the legend grows....

The thing about financial advisor firms…the assets under management and number of clients are available through public disclosure requirements of the SEC.

Back when I considered using one, I discovered the firm I talked to misrepresented how much they actually managed in the process of doing my due diligence before committing any money.

#15807 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

True...but unless you're an absolute amateur, you don't need an asset mgmt firm, John Bogle (may he rest in peace) revolutionized investing for us individuals by popularizing (not inventing) Index funds. I think you may have mentioned it yourself before. So stay the course, Indexing is the way to go. I like trading, (it's like playing poker)..as long as you keep it small.

It was back when I was in my early 30s and one of my college friends was starting up a firm. He’s done well and he almost had me convinced to the point I did some talking with small firms before realizing I didn’t need it.

#15842 2 years ago

Edit

#15843 2 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

And your speaking up will change people's minds? Lol. The ego! That's what gets me the most, people who think they can change other's opinions. Do you seriously think you can change the mind of an uneducated person, who lacks critical thinking skills

This right here is the heart of the problem.

A lack of critical thinking skills coupled with an inflexible world view that, when challenged, leads to defensiveness rather than an objective examination.

A lot of people, I believe, mistrust science because they not only don’t understand science, but they don’t understand the procedures of science…hypothesize, test, develop a rule set, challenge, adjust, update hypothesis, follow data. Question and challenge and see if it holds up or does not.

But it all comes down to critical thinking skills and a willingness to say your conclusions were wrong based on new data.

Back on topic, buy index funds

1 week later
#15929 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Alot of us also invest in crypto, I know it's crazy to you old timers, but there is money to be made there.

So when are people going start using it for day to day, mundane transactions and not a speculative play?

Until the day comes that I can buy lunch with X bitcoin and not worry about the next month my X bitcoin suddenly worth the price of the car I drove to get that lunch, I will struggle to see it as anything approaching a practical currency.

#15934 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Are you saying you would invest in it when it works like a practical currency? What other currencies do you invest in? I can't see stockpiling Yen or Euros as a very good investment. Gold maybe, it's much more akin to bitcoin as a store of wealth. My investments include stocks, property, gold and crypto and they are all speculative plays to some degree. Isn't that how you make money investing? By taking risks to invest in things that you think will go up in value over time, but always have the possibility to lose value?

I would not invest in currency for the reasons you allude to and I think you’re making my point for me.

I want to be invest in things that produce something, flow cash through utility, or can be converted into something useable. Sure, all have a risk premium…that’s where you earn your returns as you said. But they all generate something. Even gold can be converted make usable goods.

Cryptocurrency ticks none of those boxes and it does not behave like a stable currency.

So what exactly is it beyond a purely speculative play? I still struggle to answer that.

You (or Matt Damon) may as well be telling people that don’t know any better to invest in Options contracts. Those are purely speculative, too.

I’m not opposed to speculating, just call it what it is. What I never liked is the rah rah that sucks in people that don’t know better, lose more than they can afford, and then think Wall Sreet is rigged and fail to ever invest in a sensible way to their own detriment.

1 week later
#16000 2 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

That dude is a Throw Spaghetti at the Wall type. Something will eventually stick and he can claim he’s Nostradamus.

He’s got nothing on Bill Fleckenstein, the perma bear since 2002 that is still calling for DOW 10,000.

1 week later
#16066 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

My idea of the metaverse is 20-30 year old hipsters going to a virtual Travis Scott concert or virtual nightclub. Or buying virtual Rolex watches and sailing around on make believe yachts.
I can’t see any gen X or boomers being involved with that stuff. The people with money have the real Rolex and real yachts.
I did watch Blade Runner 2049 with the virtual food and holographic girlfriends so maybe that’s the goal.

I’m GenX and it holds no appeal to me.

But the one truth is that every generation, no matter how hip or cool they are while young, eventually finds themselves on the other side of the age fence wondering why they’re no longer hip and cool.

Listening to my sixteen year old daughter talk trash about millennials never fails to amuse me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 12.95
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider investingdad.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders?tu=investingdad and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.