200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5101 Roth conversion advice. Posted by iceman44 (3 years ago)

Post #19981 How To Read US Debt Clock Posted by pinnyheadhead (5 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider elvishasleft.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4880 3 years ago

Ive been lurking this thread for a while... some interesting information here.

I more than doubled my investment in appl and bailed out. Missed some upside but at some point gotta cash out and hard to complain with a double up.

I had someone managing that account and it just went sideways.. fired them chucked it all in Appl and got lucky to ride it up.

Im just going to stay parked in cash.. too much weirdness around.

As long as the fed props things up its probably hard for market to crash but who knows.

We are in some kind of backwards bizarro world in so many ways.

#4901 3 years ago
Quoted from Barakawins1:

But with mutual funds you can't pull out of them without penalty right?

Is it a retirement account?

At the moment due to covid you can pull funds from retirement without the 10% penalty... but still have to pay taxes on anything that was tax deferred

In my case I threw a bunch of money that was stuck in an IRA into apple a few years ago and I am tempted to take it out so i can use it elsewhere and its not stuck there.

I am up so much in that account that I dont care about paying the taxes and not getting clipped for 10% saves me a bunch also.

Ask ur accountant... may vary depending on the type of plan you are stuck in.

#4905 3 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

And honestly, i'd rather pay them and have market analysis experts buying/selling my stocks than myself.
To each their own i suppose..

I tried that and my account went sideways for years... took it over myself and more then doubled it. lol

"expert" is all relative these days.

#4907 3 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

I'd say you're an outlier then.
Who was your account with?

Company called Payne capital out of NY... to be fair to them this was when the market was pretty much rolling sideways and well before the current crazy bizarre market where a chimp could make money.

But yah they werent able to do much of anything but charge me fees so I fired them.

#4931 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

ETFs > Mutual funds, can be traded faster than mutual funds, and are all around better investments. However, many of us working schmucks are forced into mutual funds through employer sponsored 401ks that don't offer other investment options.

This type of shit is ridiculous.

My girlfriend is a teacher and not only does she have to put money into her retirement (no choice they just take it out) but she has an extremely limited range of options to invest in.

They are all very risk averse so pretty much goes nowhere...

#4942 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:so what is the consensus on apple? Hold?

I bailed 100% and took my profit and will sit it out unless it tanks pretty hard.

Look where it was in March (last time I grabbed some)... its had a crazy run up.

I dont think its tanking that hard but I could see under $100 without too much trouble.

#4949 3 years ago

Appl will be interesting since all I have heard over the last few months is no one cares about hardware and the phone cycle anymore.... the iphone cycle is a thing of the past blah blah. Its all about services and the app store etc etc etc

That being said the stock always seems to be looking for any excuse to run up so why not 4G?

Its as good a reason as anything else in bizarro world.

#4951 3 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I’m upgrading my Iwatch next week with the new one. I see tremendous growth in that product.

You really do or you are kidding?

Only people on I ever met on the planet that own one is you and my brother.

#4954 3 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Best selling smartwatch by far.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/524830/global-smartwatch-vendors-market-share/
On another note, watching these 10% swings is exhausting. I should really just not look at my account so frequently.

Huh... guess Im an old fart. Where i live I have not seen a single apple watch (not looking for them either so that may be why) but I will admit its an older area.

I cant imagine carrying around a phone all day and wearing a watch that basically connects to my phone and does the same stuff??

thats so meta.. ugh the kids today.

More power to em.. lets get appl up to 200.

#4968 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

$110 is the old $440 before the split. It still could go down a lot more.

Its funny how short a memory people have... $440 is a bargain?

Its held its higher price and run up for a few months and now thats the bargain?

It was 370 not that long ago (March).

#4980 3 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

What reason(s) would it crash? Just curious.

WKSH has gone from like a buck to over 20 on just pure speculation and BS?

The company just bleeds money and its numbers are pretty bad.... pathetic actually.

They are in the running to get some USPS contract but thats not likely to happen.

Its just people speculating like Tesla because its one of the few e-car choices and running it up but the company has serious management issues also.

"Workhorse has some early mover advantages when it comes to electric delivery trucks, but this market is about to get pretty crowded. Workhorse generated a loss of $133 million in its latest quarter on revenue of just $92,000. That's not a typo. The future could be bright for Workhorse Group in what is clearly a niche with heady upside, but the expectations are already too high for a small company with a nearly $1.7 billion market cap."

#5001 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

SNOW is the new Tesla? Still pricing this thing, now $235-240? Lol.
So i bought some more SPG this morning.
And more MELI and FSLY for long term, on sale.

yah I was looking at that this morning.

In this bizarro world market it could end up at $400.

"valuation" is realistically $40 so ten times that seems about right these days.

#5006 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

SNOW is insane. I like to ride the lightning as much as any stock person, know this space well, and I refuse to touch this stock. This is pure and simple gambling. Somebody is going to make a ton of money and somebody is going to get smacked hard.

Its been gambling for a while now.. there is no rational explanation for the market last few months (well other then the fed).

Earlier in the thread people were talking up WKSH.. this is a company that had revenue of 92K and lost 132 million in one quarter which is pathetic.

People are buying it like its the greatest company on the planet. lol.

Its just looney some of this stuff.

#5009 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Yeah, but in this case I am talking specifically about SNOW. If you look at my commentary from the prior page this is just insane. A 500M/year company that is still losing money is not worth this much.

Oh yah I know but I could say the same about tons of stocks.

The inmates run the asylum at this point... great time to make money if you are that brave.

I dont blame anyone for going after stuff and trying to make a buck but its straight up looney allot of it.

#5014 3 years ago

A company that actually makes money is doing well in the stock market?

How refreshing....

I though these days you had to bleed cash or make up crazy future products to double up.

#5030 3 years ago

Huh... I was thinking more like dipping under $100 to rebuy.

Appl is a tough one since every two weeks they are pimping something else.

A few months ago no one cared about the 5G cycle and that "doesnt matter anymore" it was all about services, app store... now since its the 5G cycle thats the thing again.

so it went from hardware doesnt matter to now all about the hardware. lol

#5044 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

As for Apple, it’s a long term cash cow money machine

I hear you.. you are on the money on appl.

I bought it in 2018 at $150 pre split so Im not complaining, just felt like it was time to take the money and run recently.

I want back in but I am more concerned about Biden then the stock.

Should he gain traction or get elected no less the incoming bidenapocalypse is more of a concern.... just capital gains alone will have people cashing out.

#5049 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Crazy what's happening with Amazon and apple. Amazon especially seems like it's been going down for the past month

Why is it crazy?

Appl went from $370 a share in March to over $500....

Its not crazy when it blows up and gets ahead of itself only when it goes down?

#5051 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

that's not a big jump compared to some of these other stocks not making nearly that much and still going up 500%. Prob a good time to buy more apple.
I'm long on them anyway

yah but appl is a real company not some crazy unicorn

#5102 3 years ago

This is very true but it reminds me of the old Steve Martin "how to be a millionaire and never pay taxes" where step one is to get a million dollars.

The first assumption in this strategy is that you have enough cash reserves to last a year and not panic sell when things go south....

The second is on top of that that you have enough left after your cash reserves to invest and make a fortune.

In other words this is great advice if you are already "rich" by normal standards.

Its no different then any other form of gambling... dont risk money you cant afford to lose so you dont panic or do something stupid. People fail at that daily.

#5104 3 years ago

I understand all that... I was just referring to the advice in the article.

"The idea that you keep a large cash cushion so you don't have a worry about seeing your stock portfolio tank. With six to 12 months worth of expenses in the bank, you decrease the risk you're going to panic sell to retreat to the relative safety of cash. You already enjoy the relative safety of cash. You invest - and ride out stock market storms - from a position of strength, not anxiety."

#5163 3 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

We sound a lot alike. I'm just too chicken to buy another home. Real Estate (and the taxes that come with it, which are a lot since we have no state income tax) scares me. Maybe once I'm officially retired I'll think about it.

I sold off my house in a trendy expensive area and started renting after a divorce a few years back... didnt "have to" just felt the right thing to do.

Been renting ever since and don't regret it a bit.. nice to not have to care about maintenance etc.

At least where I am housing market is still strong and I couldnt see the point of throwing down on another house even though I looked.. maybe if housing tanks.

I live in a nicer house then I would probably buy and its worry free.....

#5164 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I should have listened to my gut and sold WKHS on Monday. Its in the low 20's now, down from 30ish...

If you dig into it this company looks horrible on paper.

It's gone up solely on wild speculation and could come down hard when people get skittish.

#5191 3 years ago

I had thought about CCL..

A few months ago I would have thought noone would ever want to cruise again after this.

After some time of seeing how completely stupid and reckless most people are anyways I think they have a good shot of coming back.

Plus they are generally cheap vacations and money will be tighter for allot of people.

Cruises are all about getting loaded for allot of people and the lockdown has made countless numbers of new alcoholics too.

#5196 3 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

I had the same sentiment and realized exactly the same thing. My bet is to buy these stocks exactly once the upcoming lockdown shows up and the people that have been holding on to these stocks panic.... 2 years from now tourism, travel and every company that survived the pandemic in the beat down sector will be making A SHIT LOAD of money.
Think holiday providers for people that want to go south. All the snowbirds in Canada are bitching that they can't go to Florida this season, and some are dumb enough to go even when insurance doesn't cover for Covid 19 related illnesses. Some are getting their cars towed down to Florida for them and they fly.
That should put things into perspective.

I live in a tourist town and it went from being a ghost town to sort of back to normal over the last few weeks..

This is despite numbers and cases being more now around here than when everything was closed.

Seems like a few weeks back everyone just said fuck it if I get sick I get sick.

I would be the same way but being from NY I know a number of people who suffered through it and one person who has been a long hauler and has had it come back for months.

I dont need that shit so Im staying home even though I can walk to some pretty great bars and food...not worth getting crazy sick over.

#5251 3 years ago

Yah I dont know you would even begin to discuss the stock market and ignore politics.

They are pretty well intertwined.

I usually find all the political talk boring as shit but its relevant to any stock related discussions.

#5256 3 years ago
Quoted from Bearcat:

Agreed, but, as I recall, it is possible to talk politics without being insulting & divisive.

Well I use the easy method which is to not give a shit...

I know what my opinions are and no one posting anything on the internet is going to change that so why argue with them or care what they say.

1 week later
#5302 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Just a hard negotiation tactic when a stalemate becomes insurmountable. I feel like both sides would really like to see this happen before the election.
Nothings over, you can't just turn it off.

Seems like an odd call since it will likely tank the market which is about the only positive thing going right now.

#5337 3 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Today I was sitting back and thinking about my time analyzing the market and came to a realization... while we all tend to keep trying to find the next big thing, timing both the buy and sell side, over the long haul it's a fool's errand. Had I consistently kept all the big names I've owned over the years and forgot about them, I'd be way ahead of the game.

Its always good to remember that the stock market is the main mechanism for the rich to get richer.

It is a bit of a "rigged" game as it were and is getting more and more so over time as technology has advanced.

Logic and actual information are not as valuable as they should be.

There is allot of smoke and mirrors like the fed just printing money with nothing behind it or bank bailouts or any number of other forms of economic fuckery.

End of day if you have money its hard to go wrong throwing it in solid companies for the long haul.

#5367 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I saw this. How people still deal with WF is beyond me.

Every bank is just chock full of grifters... they get way with murder (and of course get bailed out by the govt when they really fuck up)

My friend works for Deutsche bank and every week there is some kind of new scandal there.. they usually pay some BS fine that is nothing to them and move on.

1 week later
#5402 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Covid panic part 57

Eh you know..

when the head of the "corona virus task force" (whatever the fuck thats is supposed to be) and everyone around him gets corona virus people get worried.

#5450 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I am hanging on to PINS - they are on the horizon of monetizing their user base

Ah yes... as former .com employee and stock holder I remember that phrase very well.

Easier said then done and rarely goes as planned.

Its a buzz phrase to make investors feel better that they bleed money and make little.

#5451 3 years ago

Man you guys have some balls trading in this market... enjoy the rollercoaster.

The election is bound to be cluster and cause panic no matter who wins..

#5458 3 years ago

All true, but the easy integration with a major player like Shopify will help

Anything will help... end of day .coms are so expensive to run they need to make an obscene amount of money to catch up.

#5477 3 years ago
Quoted from Barakawins1:

I believe now is a good time for Slayer Reign in blood no?

Well what do you think is going to happen?

Small business is getting ravaged, covid is raging and we are about to have a likely contested election so.....

#5479 3 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

especially if you've actually tried to use pintrest.. it has gotten worse and worse.. links to the source info are broken, or just malware.. to me it's on the verge of collapse not profitability

.coms are their own planet.

The one I was at literally kept hiring people to "show growth". Nowhere to put them and no work for them or anyone with time to train them, just had to add body count. People would come on and just sit around all day and get paid.

They had me interviewing people in my sector for tech jobs and it got to the point where it was a few a day so I just asked them the dumbest questions I could think of just to mess with them.

They had no idea they were going to get hired just for showing up.

Literally, hi... have a seat. I like your haircut, whats your favorite band? ok here is a 75K job now go away. lol

#5483 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

You should report that to the SEC. Even if twenty years later. Those that made you do that should be stripped of their wealth and go to prison.

hate to break it to you.. but even to this day .coms are as full of shit as they ever were.

Oh no worries on the SEC... the .com crash took care of their wealth or potential wealth (and mine).

That company went from having Mary Meeker come tell us all how wonderful we are to WTF happened in a year or so.

They kept putting off going public and by the time they did it was armageddon.

#5488 3 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

It's actually common practice for a growth company to spend more than they need to as a psychological play to VC's to get even more money. While it's not usually done by hiring pretend employees, it's a practice that happens in many industries for many reasons.

Yah you have to show you are "growing" to get more money... and when you get more money you have to spend it to get even more money.

Its a treadmill.

Plus if you are thinking of going public the bigger the company is the better off you are.. so more employees equals bigger perceived size and value.

I did enjoy doing things like coming back from lunch at the Chinese place and asking potential new hires if they prefer kung pao to orange chicken and why.

#5497 3 years ago

Stock market climbing up...

we may a see a real challenge to democracy in this country and possibly rioting in the streets so of course it goes up.

#5500 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

I think regardless of what happens with the vote, you are going to see some shenanigans tonight and the next few days.

Welp.. never a good sign when the president builds a retaining wall around the white house.

#5509 3 years ago

A friend of mine "in the biz" said the general thought is that Dems may crush it...

in which case more generous stimulus becomes far more likely sooner than later which will give things a kick in the ass.

usually Dems winning would not be good news but stimulus is really what they are betting on hence the boost.

#5511 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

I have a friend that said the exact opposite. Guess thats why they don't like talking politics here.

well its not really "politics"... Im not saying one is any better then the other etc.

Just that this is what some people are thinking on the inside (i.e. someone who actually works literally on wall street).

#5530 3 years ago

Depends on who you talk to... some people seem to think Biden will be terrible for the economy in general and that will drag markets down over time.

Others see the gridlock as good so if the senate stays republican he will have a hard time going nuts on taxes etc.

Either way he is likely to push more stimulus and that will definitely jump the market.

#5590 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Finally, don't lose sight of what the market cares about. IT WAS THE FED, IT IS THE FED AND WILL BE THE FED INTO 2021!
In other words, DON'T FIGHT THE FED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Once the current crazy ass legal stuff gets debunked there will more stimulus incoming.

Free and cheap money never hurt anyone... well the millennials and other future generations I guess.

#5600 3 years ago

I expect lots of gridlock and money printing... so the rich will get much richer and the future will get mortgaged to death with debt.

If I had kids i would feel sorry for them but I dont. Roll the printers.

I have had a few people tell me the "ideal scenario" is Biden with a republican congress.

Looks likely unless Trump can find all those "fake votes" lol lol lol

#5631 3 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I think cruises are gonna be terrible for a while. Floating Petri dishes!

How is this different?

there has been outbreaks of all kinds of sickness on cruises since the dawn of time and people still go.

#5680 3 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I have a stupid question. I'm terrible at making money in the stock market, so perhaps I should just stick to my crypto.
Anyway, how do you know when they aren't winners anymore? That's my hardest part. I don't know when to get out regardless of if it's going up or down. Do you just set a blanket percentage and go with that number? For example, buy stock X and if it goes down 10% you sell, if it's up 20% you sell.
That's where I get stuck.

Quoted from iceman44:

"Great long-term investing is 1% buying, 99% waiting.
The power of compounding can only be achieved by holding a security for years if not decades.
The mistakes that will most impact your performance are likely to be decisions to sell too soon.
Being passively active via a "coffee can" portfolio approach focused on quality can create tremendous alpha.
One of the most powerful concepts in portfolio management is to let your winners run. Simple, yet very difficult to execute.
Great investing can be counter-intuitive.
It requires you - for the most part - to do nothing. No tinkering, no trimming, no re-balancing of all sorts. Simply buying and waiting for years to let the story play out."
LET THE STORY PLAY and LET YOUR WINNERS RUN!
The "Covid reopening story" is just beginning. Baby steps.

see above... its not buy and sell buy and sell buy and sell

#5699 3 years ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

It will take some time but eventually gambling will be legal in all states and there is huge opportunity there.

I am out of the loop on this stuff...

can some one explain why its not legal to play poker online for real money anymore but this shit is OK ?

#5713 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Market profits are reported and taxed. Online poker is not, in most cases, taxed.

They were all offshore back in the day but why wouldnt anyone just start one up in the US at this point?

They just kind of blanket made it illegal... kinda sucks because I used to make pretty easy money on there. People in general suck at poker.

#5715 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Like Elvis pointed out, read my post above. Buy great companies for the LONG TERM and buy more when they go on sale. Dollar cost averaging into a stock monthly/quarterly is a good way to build a position long-term.

yah I just find it amusing that everyone loves your advice on here except this bit which is the most important thing. lol

Otherwise its just day trading and throwing darts.

#5777 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I like their Smart Workplace but I use Wealthbox primarily
They aren’t brought up much because of “slow growth” by comparison
https://seekingalpha.com/article/4389844-smart-workspace-gives-dropbox-sprawling-potential

Just as a customer prospective... Dropbox sucks.

They basically try to annoy and harass customers into paying them... they give you some free storage and then make your life hell until they get money out if you.

In a nutshell their biz model sucks. I had a client using it so had to be on it and I regret every minute I had to use it.

I know 15 or so people that dropped them and use something else now so over time I look for them to be out of biz since its a competitive space.

2 months later
#7911 3 years ago

Love this stuff....

A bunch of kids gaming the system the way hedge funds and day traders do all the time and "its a problem lets panic and shut them down"

Bunch of hypocrites.

Hilarious..I dont care much for millennials etc but good on them for calling bullshit on a rigged system.

#7915 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

If anything feels like there should be a lawsuit, it is indeed this. However, I don't think it will go anywhere. Too many big players with big money crying foul.

yah... how dare you little bastards do what we do all day.

Manipulating markets is our thing. wahhhh

#7923 3 years ago

Whatever you think of this what its going to do is expose in daylight what blatant bullshit the stock market has become.

BBC world news had a good story on it and the guy reading it was snicking at how clever it is.

They can restrict whatever they want but the cat will be out of the bag that the market is 100% rigged against small investors (and this comes from someone who has benefited over the years)

These are the things market crashes are made of.... a what the fuck is going on run for the hills panic.

#7941 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Unfortunately, Big Tech, Big Government, Big Banks, Big Hedge Funds, Big Government, Big Media ALWAYS WINS.
And the little guy gets F Ed!
Watch how Bitcoin plays out and all of the future regulation there. It's already starting in the EU.
Free markets and capitalism? LOL

Hey at least the word is getting out and its major news globally...

For allot of people its going to be a clear look at how completely fucked and rigged shit is.

You cant fuck over the little guy forever, good on these kids for figuring it out and making a goof out of it.

They will run shit someday so I am impressed (finally)

#7943 3 years ago
Quoted from Dkjimbo:

I'm sitting on 10k cash waiting for the phone to ring on my GNR LE preorder. What's the quickest way to get in on this action right now, today, with my 10k and end up with enough profit in a week or two to get a free GNR LE???

get in a time machine and go back two days?

#7966 3 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Class action suit filed against Robinhood in the SDNY[quoted image]

hahahaha

reminds me of the end of trading places where the rich guys start losing their shirts and start yelling "stop the trading"

Will be fun seeing all these con men have to explain what they do for a living and why what they do it perfectly fine and this wasnt.

good fucking luck.

#7969 3 years ago

Looking forward to when this thread gets back on track to investing ....

Yes, all this news that will likely change the way trading is done isnt relevant to the trading thread.

Lets talk low risk mutual funds (they suck).

#7972 3 years ago

Got a lot of good stock tips from this forum ... may not be GME exciting but they have been very profitable

OK here is a stock tip. buy and hold. unless its GME.

#7976 3 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I actually never liked game stop to begin with. horrible prices, and their return policy sucked. Plus the employees there were always these 30-40 year old dudes with no girlfriend and were stuck up which I still cant understand to this very day.

This is one reason why this is so great... they picked a company they know sucks and is doomed.

The kids today just love sarcasm.

The whole thing is a goof which gives me faith in the future frankly.

#8074 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Fuck these tech billionaires and hedge fund managers who treat people under them as not even pawns. I hope there is a reckoning and they get bent.

You think something may be rigged?? hmmm lets see.

economy sucks? market goes up.
pandemic? market goes up.
possible end of democracy? market goes up.
record unemployment? market goes up.
record closings at retail? market goes up.

Over the last year you can make any number of lists of things that should cause the market to drop its pants yet it still goes up.

Why? because its 100% bullshit as is this country continually printing money it doesnt have.

#8088 3 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

Low interest rates plus liquidity bruh!

yes.. bullshit.

near zero interest rates is not a good thing... printing money with nothing to back it is not a good thing.

keep putting air in the balloon.. we all know how that ends up.

#8100 3 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Wait... Don't you guys have a shit ton of gold backing everything? Isn't that how it works? Are you telling me that this Prime Video documentary lied to me?
[quoted image]

Well no..

we have one bar of gold we are really good at moving around quickly so it looks like more. suckers.

#8324 3 years ago

The funny stuff is some media and "industry experts" trying to school principal this shit.

Saying things like we need to put "restrictions in place" to teach these poor children about proper investing and to protect them from themselves blah blah.

Its like the principal in high school telling you "this will go on your permanent record".

These kids know exactly what they are doing and why.....

#8332 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Gambling Problem? Call 1-800-Bets off.
Remember, it's only a problem if you're losing.....

yah this whole thing is a bunch of suit and ties being pissed off that someone has gamed their system.

How dare you kids manipulate the markets... thats our job.

Bunch of scumbags.

#8451 3 years ago

#8478 3 years ago
Quoted from Parzival:

Doesn't surprise me that wall street is rigging the market. Just crazy how openly they are doing it

What surprises me is that this is "news" to anyone... its been a rigged game forever and has only gotten worse over time.

People really have no shame with what they will do or who they will screw over for a buck.

#8481 3 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Was this shit rigged 20 years ago as much as it is now? Or am I just older and see through the smoke and mirrors?

Its always been rigged but now its just stupid.

The more computers and software got involved the easier it was to fuck with.

#8533 3 years ago
Quoted from athenspin:

May look cheap a few years down the road. Lots of innovation and products coming down the pipeline for Tesla. Soon to be lots of recurring subscription revenues.

Well this would be good because at this point that dont really do much of anything and are worth 1000 trillion bazzillion

they may want to get on that revenue thing and actually and do something other than "innovating"

What are you doing? ...

oh me? Im thinking of doing something.. oh wait no, I'm innovating. yah thats the ticket . lol

11 months later
#15951 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Alot of us also invest in crypto, I know it's crazy to you old timers, but there is money to be made there.

Fixed this for you...

but there WAS money to be made there

#15960 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Here we go! 20 years until retirement so leaving my 401k right where it's at. Don't pull your 401k out if you have 5+ years until retirement like some people did in March of 2020.

Hell no... if you are invested for the long term don't run away.

Learn from the people who bailed in 2018 or March 2020 only to miss out on the great run of the last few years.

It's going to get ugly but thats part of investing long term.

#15974 2 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

I think today was mostly short covering. If you remember March 2020 there were huge down days followed by huge up days. Shorts cover, stocks recover, then the selling resumes a lot of times. The S&P 500 is below the 200ma, that's bearish until we get back above that as it will offer resistance to any upward movement.

nah you haven't seen anything yet.

2022 is going to be a shitshow.

3 months later
#16637 1 year ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Looks like it. 2 words: Over correction
Dan Ives:
Dot-Com Bubble 2.0 or a Generational Buying Opportunity in Tech? Tech Playbook. In a nutshell, this is not a Dot-com Bubble 2.0 in our opinion, its a massive over correction in a higher rate environment that will cause a bifurcated tech tape with clear HAVES and HAVE NOTS of tech

Overcorrection? have you watched the news?

crazy inflation, highest gas prices of all time, a war, supply chain is fucked, on and on.

The fed cant prop up this pig anymore.

See you when the dow is back around 20k.

#16639 1 year ago

Things may turn around in November .. who knows .. things are screwy now for sure
But best time to invest in the market has always been when others are running scared

Just saying if you are looking to "buy the dip" you may want to wait a while.

It's going to pop back up here and there but the actual bottom is a ways away.

4 weeks later
#16745 1 year ago
Quoted from usandthem:

The Fed was quick to jump in and protect the stock market during the pandemic. But they've been very slow to protect the American consumer from runaway inflation. It now seems clear that they're moving way too slow in raising interest rates.

Like any bullshit float or "loan" you gotta pay up someday or take your hit. Only so much air in the balloon.

That day is coming sadly... and as usual the middle class will get hammered.

Fed way overstepped more than once... so the smackdown is likely to be as brutal in the other direction.

P.S. Cramer is a moron. I am still amazed people pay attention to him, I guess when all you do is yell bullshit all day you are hard to miss.

#16752 1 year ago
Quoted from PiperPinball:

They are all full of shit. Wall Street is one big legal Ponzi scam. (right behind SS). Its not investing, its trading. Buy, hold and pray.
Anyway, I pulled all my money out of stocks 2 years ago and bought commercial real-estate all with good debt.
Get out now while you can. Its going to get worse this year.
And read or listen to: 'Rich Dad Poor Dad' > Unfair Advantage (all his books are great!)

Wise move.. anyone I know that is rich (like stupid rich) its off real estate. Stock market is always a form of gambling and seeing which way the bullshit winds blow.

That being said next few years probably aren't great for real estate either. Most everyone I know in commercial is sitting it out and waiting to see what happens.

Have to be patient real estate is a long haul game so you dont get that dopamine hit of daily stock market excitement.

#16781 1 year ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Well, the recent gloomy CFO poll puts the odds of recession better than 50/50. I guess the hope of a soft landing is now fading. If they're right we're in for more pain for at least the next 12 months. Inflation needs to brought down and Ukraine war needs to wind down...I won't be looking for any progress till those 2 things happen.
PS: Watch the headlines for early signs, layoffs and consumer spending cutbacks

50/50?

We are already in a recession and the Fed has been slow to act.

At this point it's how bad is it going to get.

#16785 1 year ago
Quoted from Foxxstone_80:

There is a HUGE shortage in nurses nationwide, (there has always been a nursing shortage) but it's worse now than ever before. 2yrs of working during a pandemic with dwindling support, increased workload, and increased abuse by patients has caused many nurses to cut back on hours, step away from the bedside, or leave the profession altogether.

As someone who has bene trying to hire for the last few months I can tell you that people don't want to work.

The people who do want to work want too much money and feel entitled because there is the perception that "lots of jobs" are out there.

The coming shitstorm is going to wreck some serious havoc when reality sets in.

#16788 1 year ago
Quoted from Kevlar51:

I feel like there's a supply and demand lesson here.

I look forward to all these people who asked for crazy money circling back later to ask if I can still hire them so I can tell them to fuck off.

#16797 1 year ago
Quoted from usandthem:

"No one wants to work" really means that no one wants to work for what you're willing to pay. And if you can't pay enough to entice people to work for you, then your business shouldn't exist.
That being said, way too much "stimulus" (free money) was pumped into the economy, including PPP loans for businesses. Didn't hear them complaining about that.

Total bullshit... the free money years have made everyone think money grows on trees and the next bailout is right around the corner.

I'm trying to hire at what historically would be higher than average pay and offering hybrid work for those who are too big a pussy to leave their house.

There are no more bailouts and other bullshit coming... nothing but recession and struggle.

"I'm too good for this job" wont work when you run out of food and cant pay rent in 2023.

#16801 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I dunno, do YOU want to deal with entitled assholes that don't want to follow rules, make death threats, might shoot you for getting your order wrong...and that's not even mentioning dealing with COVID the last few years. You might be frustrated, but your statements here show that you just don't get it. It's been proven, this country is more than half assholes who only care about themselves. I don't know you or what you do, so it's not a comment on 'you', but it's the mentality. While I have seen first hand yeah, people are f'ng lazy....at the same time, who'd want to deal with the public these days? It's pretty clear the rich people are really disconnected from reality and showing the selfish side.
I've been working remote for over 10 years now. I can't imagine not doing it. Just making the commute every other month or so is annoying. It disrupts the flow, adds extra hours, gets the blood pressure up, and I get less work done. In todays climate I'd probably retire and sell everything before going back to dealing with people in person all the time.

I'm not hiring people that have to worry about "getting anyones order wrong".

I'm hiring for corporate level jobs and those workers don't want to do anything either.

Not every employee in the US is in the service industry, I agree those jobs suck and I have no idea why anyone would want to do them.

Those people especially got shafted during Covid having to for example go work in a supermarket while their bosses stayed home.

#16803 1 year ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

I work from home 100% of the time, 20% pre-COVID. I save $2500 in gas, get 2 hours of my day back from not commuting, no miles/wear/tear/tires/oil changes, make my own meals, and don't have to put the dog in his $6000/yr (now probably $7-8K/year) daycare. I also can pickup/dropoff my son at school, help him with homework if needed after school, finished my MBA, and rehabbed my rescue dog to be no longer afraid of humans. And to Zablon's reply, yeah, I don't have to waste time socializing with people I hate at the office in passing or in person meetings (and I have the people skills of a hornet, so that list is loooooong).
Call me a pussy. I ain't going back to the office unless it's contingent on my continued employment AND they offset all those savings in life I have right now (some of which I value more than my equivalent "hourly rate" would suggest). My metrics have improved too, and they gave shit raises this year. If they try to get us "pussies" back, they won't know what hit them (morale killer, departures, demands...etc.). WFH has helped some companies thrive during these times and they haven't had to spend anything extra, and all we ask is that we perform better from our home office.

Depends on the job... what I am hiring for really cannot be done properly from home.

That being said I am still offering some form of hybrid because I know that is the thing now.

Also for every unicorn like you who can do the job from home and perform better there are 10 people who are just coasting and doing the minimum to hold on to their paycheck.

Anyways I give up... this isn't a jobs thread.

Enjoy the recession and hope the work at home army isn't the first to get laid off when the shit hits the fan.

#16806 1 year ago
Quoted from jitneystand1:

What does this mean? Regular people aren't living off of the stimulus checks they got, so where is this "free" money (enough to pay for life's expenses) coming from in your estimation?

PPP loans, extended and expanded unemployment, rent abatements, school loan deferrals, on and on

#16827 1 year ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

With that attitude i cant imagine why no one wants to work for you.

Yes, everyone knows that this country was built on the backs of great men who stayed home because you know... its just so much more comfortable there.

#16831 1 year ago

My grandfather was an immigrant/ veteran / metal worker who busted his ass because he had to feed his family.

All I know is we are about to hit what is likely an epic recession with the softest, whiniest workforce in American history.

Work smarter.

Work smarter would mean don't work for anyone but yourself and stop bitching that life is unfair. But you wont because it's easier to complain.

#16841 1 year ago
Quoted from taylor34:

Companies that were built out of their home to start:
Apple
Disney
Mattel
Google
Amazon
HP
Yep, nothing ever accomplished at home. Those slackers, lol.

Yes, this is exactly the same thing as being an employee working from home.

Great so grow a pair and start a business out of your garage and stop complaining about your "work conditions".

#16844 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

This...is too easy.

Dude... I don't care. I've given the best advice I could give anyone.

Dont like your work conditions? hours? boss? commute? Start your own business and do it your own way or STFU.

Feel free to list your excuses why you can't because they don't matter.

Good job deleting your earlier post BTW.

#16911 1 year ago
Quoted from kool1:

Looks like another dive on the open. Hold on to your hats!

May want to copy this... you are going to be saying it often.

#16919 1 year ago
Quoted from kool1:

We are due for a rally soon though.
Add in oil on this pullback.

Damn.. some of you guys are seriously optimistic people.

I can't find any news anywhere that leads me to believe the market is done swan diving. Seems to be just starting up really.

If you can I would be interested to hear it.

I don't even know how valid historical data is in this case since we have never had the sheer number of issues at the same time as we have now.

#16922 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

The bad news is priced in already. I’m not saying it can’t go lower but the bad news is what it is. Covid, Ukrainian, inflation, lower earnings estimates.

That sounds like something a really bad broker would say. Its a slow moving train...

It will be "priced in" next year after a ton more pain.

#16928 1 year ago
Quoted from denoument:

The thing is the market has been overvalued for a while now. But with inflation the real market value approaches quicker.
For example, let's say Tesla at its current income would take 86 years to pay its current investors back what investors say it is worth...well at 7% inflation that means that those investors chopped off several years to get their money back.
BTW, I def don't own Tesla stocks for this reason.

Well jesus... the market has always been overvalued now its just comical. Tesla being a prime example.

if the market was at actual "value" the Dow would be 5000 (which it may well end up at this rate)

2 weeks later
#16975 1 year ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Data compiled by Dow Jones Market Data shows that the S&P 500 has bounced back after all past first-half falls of 15% or more. The sample size, however, is small, with only five instances going back to 1932. Will this time be different? It's crazy to think the last time the Market dropped this much in half a year was 1970.

The problem here is that we are in a recession but no one has been willing to call it yet so news is still up and down.

Plus todays market doesn't have much relation to the earlier ones since the fed has pretty much propped this up on its shoulders since 2008.

When the spinning plate show stops and everyone finally has to admit we are there in full blown recession the real drop will start.

People can "buy the dip" all they want but from what I know the real drop hasn't even started yet.

The fed had been dicking around with the market since 2008... their taps are finally off. Good luck.

#16981 1 year ago
Quoted from kool1:

Recession doesn't matter. The worry on Wall Street is inflation and how big a recession we need to quash inflation. The more stubborn inflation is, the further the market will drop.

It matters for perception...

all the news is "are we heading into recession or not" blah blah which causes some of the up and down and is keeping it propped up a bit.

When the news turns to "guess what? we are in a recession" watch out.

#16985 1 year ago
Quoted from kool1:

I don't think so, negative growth doesn't affect people much. Unless layoffs start happening (what I meant by a deep recession) no one really pulls back that much.
With that all said, I am very worried this inflation we have today will be very hard to kill and I think it could get ugly.

I am a business owner and thats how I see as do most others in my position with employees etc.. recession is really the concern.

As you say I know companies that have already had hiring freezes so layoffs are next.

Call it whatever you want... none of the news is good, just semantics really.

It's already ugly, people just don't see it. Takes a while for the news and mood to match reality.

3 weeks later
#17105 1 year ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

Tomorrow the recession becomes official with the second negative GDP print in a row...... that has to be good for 10,000 points to the upside at least.

Well here is the thing... no one lives in reality anymore especially media.

CNN has been saying for weeks that two periods of down GDP are a recession.

Then it happens and instead of calling it they say "are we in a recession?"

Its a joke... we are and have been in recession despite their fake jobs numbers and they need to stop the bullshit and deal with it.

Nothing has a proper definition anymore and all data is suspect so what do you do?

#17112 1 year ago
Quoted from kool1:

CNN is not a business channel - watch Bloomberg
The data showing negative growth is there but given how small the shrinkage is and the fact there is essentially full employment, it definitely doesn't feel like a traditional recession.

They are all full of shit... as is the current administration.

The last thing they need around a midterm is a recession but thats where we are and they need to shut the fuck up and get to work.

As usual they deny and drag their feet and will act too late and things get out of control.

#17119 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

They have a hard time with “definitions”. Recession? What’s a woman? Lol

Its gotten ridiculous.... just kick the can down the road.

Much like the "fixing the environment" thing. Should have maybe started on that 30 years ago?

A bit late now and giving me a fucking paper straw or making plastic bags illegal isn't going to change that.

#17132 1 year ago
Quoted from jackd104:

A timeless sentiment that is true in any year of all of American history!

Just look at our fearless leaders today.

"We are not in a recession"

Um, yah we are asshole, just ask me and everyone else I know who owns a business. We are and have been in one.

They have two modes... under-react and then panic and over-react when they get it wrong (which is most times).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 12.95
$ 18.95
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider elvishasleft.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders?tu=elvishasleft and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.