IMG_7658 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240226-151719 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240226-151210 (resized).png
IMG_1493 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0470 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5101 Roth conversion advice. Posted by iceman44 (3 years ago)

Post #19981 How To Read US Debt Clock Posted by pinnyheadhead (4 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bospins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1870 4 years ago

Things to buy based on my opinion and nothing else: anything that entertains you and keeps you healthy at home / working from home
Zoom video communications
Peloton
Slack
Netflix
Teladoc
Okta
Amzn of course.

6 months later
#5236 3 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I'd be concerned overloading my portfolio with only stocks from the travel sector. I pondered about Air Canada but it's wayyyy to risky in my opinion.
I like MAC for the simple reason that people will want to shop in droves once they feel it's safe to do so. (I drove by the Edmonton Airport outlet mall on Tuesday around 2pm and the parking lot was 1/2 packed. I was a little surprised)
I like TISI, OXY and RDSa in the oil sector because I believe oil will be what helps us outta this COVID downturn in 2021. And also demand will go up once things slowly return to some type of normalcy in 2021.
I like CCL because, like shopping, people will want to get out and travel when they feel it's safe to do so.
MAC, TISI, OXY, RDSa and CCL are at historic stock price lows. 2021 will be the rebound in my opinion.
As Ice says.....buy in the ditch!

Just a quick note to say - I think SPG is a better play than MAC. (That's what I ended up buying)

This article summarizes my thoughts - comes down to balance sheet (I'm not a seeking alpha fanboy but I agree with this post).

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4376627-simon-property-group-fears-vs-facts

Maybe the right move is put a few $$ in both.

1 month later
#5524 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Yeah, but even at most a 50-50 split will mean nothing aggressive gets thru.
Wall Street loves gridlock.
What I find funny is going into the week it was “rally due to big wave meaning lots of stimulus”. Then it was “rally because everything stays the same”. Then it was “rally because gridlock is good.”

Oaken spot on. this is totally my feeling as well. Weird that the market sees optimism in every scenario, given the massive global headwind of the resurging pandemic.

#5542 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

I jumped onto PLTR this morning. It is on a tear this morning.

i thought there was going to be a pull back

NOPE

#5614 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

Any one here been trading PLAY (Dave & Busters).

no pinball machines in dave and busters.

HARD PASS

#5644 3 years ago
Quoted from RojerLockless:

Do it, I just refinanced and got 2.7 I'm SUPER happy.

Wow.
What bank did you use?

#5688 3 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I had a gut feeling about PLTR from the start. Loaded up and averaged at $13.5 a share.
I plan on holding this one long term.

I am up 40ish % and wrote some covered calls and those are up too. can't believe i got a great stock tip from a pinball forum. awesome!

#5714 3 years ago

guys. what should i do with my bitcoins. +60% in the last month. holy cannoli.

#5728 3 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

HODL HODL HODL
WE GOING TO THE MOON BABY!

At lot of those FOMO buyers really screwed themselves when bitcoin crashed and their panic buying and selling CAUSED the crash. HODL until 6 digits. Good friend of mine convinced me to go into bitcoin back in 2012. Coulda been swimming in mad money at many different points. Bitcoin is cyclical and unironically will be worth millions in the next few years. Just like brands, it’s all about the name. There are new, better and more practical crypto’s out there now, but they are nothing till their name becomes as spooky and ethereal as bitcoin.
Anyway, HODL till you’re a billionaire. That friend of mine bought his at $12 a bitcoin. His wallet is worth about 264 million, and that was when I checked LAST MONTH.

Thanks for this.

I"ve got some cash reserved to invest on the next pullback.

1 week later
#5896 3 years ago

Anyone writing calls?

#5920 3 years ago

How do you guys feel about APHA?

I was long on them, bought in 2017 and it was a slow bleed for years. I sold at the end of 2019 to offset some cap gains because I thought the pop would just never happen.

Fast forward to now and they’ve made some moves, bought a US beer company, have positive cash flow, decent ebita and a recent run up.

1 week later
#5980 3 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

PLTR came back from the dead. Up 4 on just a contract....This stock is all over the place. Tough to hold if it picks up a few more points as it can turn on a dime.

This bump was based on news. They won a contract with the us government. Other govts likely to follow suit. My take: Stock is a winner in the medium term. Volatility is based on people taking profits from surges but cagr is up and to the right.

#6043 3 years ago

Tesla off 10% today. Start of a consolidation or dip and opportunity to pick up shares?

#6084 3 years ago

Congress needs to pass the stimulus please.

#6139 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Big move on LULU today. Anybody in this besides me and Ice?

I’ve got a 390 March call that I’m hoping will print. I’m a bit more optimistic today.

Confounded by this stock’s movement. Significant earnings beat and the stock takes a dump, then partially recovers today based on ... what? The rumor of a stimulus deal?

Oh well. Why try to understand it.

#6140 3 years ago

Also. Bitcoin. Holy cannoli.

#6154 3 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

whats the best stock or etf to play bitcoin/cyber currency?

Just buy bitcoin.

Honestly though I would not dump a bunch of $$ into it right now. I’d say it’s overheated.

Best bet imo is to dollar cost average. Put 1k into it every month (or $250 every week) for example.

What I do is store my bitcoin in BlockFi. BlockFi is like a crypto savings acct and pays you a 6% apy interest rate for your bitcoin up to 5 coins I think. Free money.

3 weeks later
#6511 3 years ago

IPOs to watch in the near future
- poshmark (this week)
- coinbase
- roblox
- oatly
Any others people are watching?

#6517 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Can't tell if it is going up or down.

the answer to is it going up or down is.......yes

but seriously one way I like to think about the price of BTC is the distance the current price is from the 20 week moving average. if you look long term it moves in waves above that and then back down, so if you're close to the 20 week MA (or below) buying is a good idea, if you're far above, selling is a good idea, in general.

#6606 3 years ago

A tip for anyone with a company Match 401k

My returns were crappy because I had some standard fidelity mutual funds to pick from when I set it up. They got me a whopping 20% last year, as my personal stuff more than doubled. Frustrating

I called them and got out of the default “personal advisory services” and converted my account to “brokeragelink” which is their version of E*TRADE, scottrade, Robin Hood etc.

Now I can buy and sell in my 401k as I do in my taxable accounts and make similar returns.

Sorry if I’m late to the party on this one but this was an epiphany for me so thought I share, in case there are other dumb dumbs like me out there.

#6638 3 years ago

PLUG is a meme stock being driven by the "autists" over at wall street bets, like NIO before it. It's basically gambling at this point in my opinion...stay away, or throw 1k in, hope it doubles, buy yourself a gottlieb DMD

#6667 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

I try to not let my personal politics influence my investing, you should be able to find successful investments whoever is in the White House. Opening up trade again will definitely have it's winners and losers that you can plan your investments around. People that argue to sell everything on inauguration day are making investments moves with their hearts, not their brains.

No matter what your politics are, I think the inauguration is already "priced in." The market is forward-looking in general.

I was reminded of this during the last year when I was holding on to some Moderna calls...when the FDA approval was announced, the stock actually went down (absolutely perplexing), and it leaked pretty steadily for the next few weeks up to xmas. The approval was a foregone conclusion and was priced in during the run up in the weeks prior. I actually ended up selling the calls at a slight loss (very healthy ups on MRNA for the year in general though).

Anyway, I wouldn't expect any big moves on inauguration day unless his speech reveals some blockbuster, unexpected statement.

That's my 40% of a nickel

#6692 3 years ago

Affirm going public tomorrow (AFRM)

#6721 3 years ago

any of you guys catch the GME pop? wow, just wow.

I stayed away, too much like gambling for me, but some people made huge bucks today on that.

#6755 3 years ago

POSHMARK.

#6862 3 years ago

FVRR taking a dump today in an analyst downgrade. good opportunity to add shares for those interested - this is a multi-rec from motley fool

#6987 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

Might even be too late for BB.

I don’t think so.

Agree it’s a meme stock, but it’s a profitable business positioned well in growing industries. I’d say jump in. I have shares and 6 month calls. But it’s definitely riskier than Apple.

#7084 3 years ago

Guys
There is a one in a lifetime (maybe) short squeeze happening with gme. The play is based completely on the technicalities of this trade (shares outstanding needs to cover open positions and shorts) - although many people are bullish on GameStop since Ryan Cohen took over as ceo, this play really has nothing to do with the company. As of Friday, literally every available call strike price was in the money. I think that’s the first time in history that has happened.

For those with an interest and tolerance for risk, it’s an opportunity to make huge short term $ (or possibly lose whatever you put in). The play is to simply buy shares and hang on. Don’t need to mess with options (although you certainly can play the weekly if you’re into that).

I’m going in with a moderate position because the risk/reward is ok for me. I’m hoping to make enough to fund one cirqus Voltaire and one Deadpool premium (if you’re selling one of these in the northeast ping me!). Share price is about $65 as of Friday, some analysis is showing a green candle to $1000. Monday extended hours could be interesting...

Just alerting you guys in case this type of thing is interesting. And if you don’t touch this with a 20 foot pole, that’s a totally justifiable and smart position.

Here’s a thread to explain more: https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/l3eq11/gme_infinite_gamma_squeeze_explained/

Good luck to all!

#7090 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Be careful with this. I bought 1,000 shares the week before and exited it at various prices on Friday. You can go back and look at my posts. I took a 48% profit and walked, rolling it into AMC. Most of the charts that you are referring to are meme ones. I have seen most people thinking this could get around a hundred or so based upon technicals and fmv. I think you are going to see some violent moves up and down this week, so I am just going to chill a little to see what happens. Regardless, GME is not currently a great investment but that does not have anything to do with if it can money. Same goes with AMC, but some of the same mechanics behind GME are at play with this stock as well.

This could be 100% correct.

My thinking with shares is at the current share price, gme is probably reasonably valued. So huge low probability upside with limited downside.

It’s a gamble for sure. But it will be entertaining.

#7095 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

How are they reasonably valued now when the stock is the highest since 2007, but sales and earnings are a fraction of what they were in 2007?

New leadership, new board of directors, and digital transformation, plus they could/should be pulled by the giant, expanding beast that is the video game industry...they’re bigger than Hollywood now.

Probably should have taken 12 months to get to current levels instead of 1. But current price isn’t crazy.

Anyway...DBLM is probably right but I’m gonna go for it anyway. I made 10k on daily and weekly calls last week so I’m playing with house money. I would never bet anything I couldn’t afford to lose on this, unlike many of the wsb psychopaths that are literally betting all of their student loan money or buying shares and calls on margin (not a great plan under any circumstances imo).

Buy shares if you feel like it! THIS IS NOT INVESTING ADVICE and I am an idiot so you should not listen to me.

#7098 3 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Could there be an anti-YOLO trade where r/wsb gets in and pumps things up way higher then they should be and then you buy puts as it settles? Implied volatility would make the puts more expensive than a normal day, but maybe there is something to be done.

I think playing the volatility is an order of magnitude more insane than the already insane base play.

Also. +1 for motley fool.

#7165 3 years ago

For anyone thinking gme...

Short interest still above 100%, share price up 8% after hours. None of the shorts could cover as a result. Manipulation designed to trigger stop losses fell short (haha). Melvin got a 2B+ bailout and I think that’s to keep them liquid as they cover all the shorts. In other words...I don’t think it’s too late to get in.

But whoooooo knooooowwwwwsssssss

Crazy times.

#7182 3 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

There's a lot of pissed off people on reddit wanting to destroy Melvin. It's David vs Goliath. I wonder if the redditers keeping coming now that there is blood.

It’s like a 1,000,000 person prisoners dilemma. If everyone holds, and keeps shares from the liquify market, the likelihood of the squeeze spike increases. But if people start peeling off - individuals will get a percentage of what that peak would have been, and the peak won’t happen.

Impossible to say what will happen. Emotions and greed are running high.

I am participating with money that I am ok to lose completely for a chance at once in a long time, maybe lifetime, returns. It’s a total gamble but it will make life interesting this week.

1 month later
#10398 3 years ago

hey. have you guys heard of this company called GameStop? I hear the stock is a good buy right now. If you haven't heard of them, maybe you should check it out.

As an aside, am I the only one that has this real time ticker going on in the background all day every day? It's just crazy.

#10439 3 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

No technical analysis but I really like Paypal long term. Its becomming a huge bank in its own and is now ahead on crypto. Tons of online transactions and a place many might feel safer to buy crypto on. I think Im going to buy this dip.

Pypl was a motley fool recco today. I bought some.

1 week later
#11042 3 years ago
Quoted from Dkjimbo:

So for a complete moron like me that got swept up in January and lost 1500 in 2 days, how do the guys here who actually understand this stuff react to this information? Is it legit? Is it conjecture? I swore I wouldn’t get back involved in this GME thing and I am holding to that but I am really curious to understand if you guys have an opinion on this data in the link? Is it all really painting the picture that the author appears to be suggesting for the next day or two?

Hedge funds are battling one another. Bet on who you think will win - the bulls or the bears. If you bet right, you could get a 20x return. If you don’t, you lose your principal. It’s expensive to play but the risk adjusted potential returns make it interesting. Can you afford to lose $5k on a contract? If so, might be worth it to you.

1 year later
#18806 1 year ago

Is anyone shorting anything? How are you playing svb?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus
Toys/Add-ons
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bospins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders?tu=bospins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.