New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 175889)

Stock Market Traders?

By kpg

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5,881 posts
  • 328 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 minutes ago by Isochronic_Frost
  • Topic is favorited by 160 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 334 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
    B89F269F-C46F-40C5-AE4C-181976788587 (resized).jpeg
    patriot.gif
    20201120_173001 (resized).jpg
    original_258137496 (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 10.39.54 AM (resized).png
    tdoc (resized).JPG
    80ac6c6e8ec0a109316e09e9bea3570c.gif
    I-am-rich-floyd-mayweather-throwing-money.gif
    C88D47F0-041A-4A46-B4C5-125711C7605A (resized).png
    nathan-fillion.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    cEKRbMz.gif
    sell (resized).JPG
    E177DDBA-88C5-4FB5-B34C-FD3137EFED6A (resized).png
    200w.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bobsacamano.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2397 8 months ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

My understanding is what he did wasn't illegal though. Now, if we take into account whether or not there was willful misinformation being fed to the public around what was known at the time maybe, but I'm not sure anyone can prove it...

Yeah, I don't expect any of the 4 Senators (R or D) to get anything other than maybe a warning or a slap on the hand with a gloved hand.

That said, Burr definitely told the public one thing and told his donors another thing.

On Feb. 27, when the United States had 15 confirmed cases of COVID-19, President Trump was tamping down fears and suggesting that the virus could be seasonal.

"It's going to disappear. One day, it's like a miracle. It will disappear," the president said then, before adding, "it could get worse before it gets better. It could maybe go away. We'll see what happens."

On that same day, Burr attended a luncheon held at a social club called the Capitol Hill Club. And he delivered a much more alarming message.

"There's one thing that I can tell you about this: It is much more aggressive in its transmission than anything that we have seen in recent history," he said, according to a secret recording of the remarks obtained by NPR. "It is probably more akin to the 1918 pandemic."

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/19/818192535/burr-recording-sparks-questions-about-private-comments-on-covid-19

#2448 8 months ago
    Quoted from Friengineer:

Question, did they ever change the law to stop this? Up until, I believe a few years ago this was totally legal and abused by alot of Congress.
    They should lose their jobs. The intelligence committee & DOJ should be up their ass. Not to mention the SEC

What is the STOCK Act?

#2450 8 months ago
    Quoted from Oaken:

In particular Burr himself was instrumental in trying to block a law attempting to reform the very activity he is in hot water for.
    My understanding is that as long as he maintains the fig leaf of “i operated on public knowledge and not my congressional knowledge” and there isn’t documented proof to say otherwise, he is in the clear legally.
    So not criminal, not insider trading...maybe we should make a new phrase and call it pulling a Burr?

Yeah he was just one of 5 (in both the Senate and House) that voted against the "Stop Trading on Congressional Knowledge" (STOCK) Act of 2012.

https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=112&session=2&vote=00014

-Passed the Senate on February 2, 2012 (96–3)
    -Passed the House on February 9, 2012 (417–2) with amendment

#2462 8 months ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

Personally, I don't think that the representatives from either side are guilty of insider trading in this case. China was already in trouble at that point, not like we didn't know there was an epidemic there and that there were cases elsewhere...it's just that people chose to ignore it. I'm sure there are articles out there dated well before they sold stock stating how bad of a virus it was.

Yeah, I'd have to agree that's probably good enough to classify as "plausible deniability".

Kind of interesting they were saying one thing with their Tweets/articles/speeches and another with their investment portfolios.

Loeffler and Burr sit on the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions, which held a briefing on January 24 for senators to learn about what the panel described as the "emerging public health threat" posed by the coronavirus. In the days after the briefing, Loeffler publicly downplayed the risks to public health from the virus.

"Democrats have dangerously and intentionally misled the American people on #Coronavirus readiness," she wrote in a tweet on February 28, two days after her husband's first ICE stock sales. "Here's the truth: @realDonaldTrump & his administration are doing a great job working to keep Americans healthy & safe."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nyse-jeffrey-c-sprecher-kelly-loeffler-sold-company-stock-ahead-of-coronavirus-market-meltdown/

#2464 8 months ago

If 4 Trillion bones can't bump this baby up, can anything?

#2526 8 months ago
    Quoted from pinballjj:

DOW 1000 , too many reasons to list .

Which pin has the abbreviation DOW? I don't see it on the list? Must be a EM?

#2586 8 months ago

It seems to be working. Stock Market is doing great today!

What are you buying?

90645516_2959069034172676_7307292357655789568_n (resized).jpg
    #2620 8 months ago

I'm looking to ride the wave on Easter Sunday 2020.

Will the Market start rising on Friday or will it wait until Monday to really start taking off?

(edited)

#2741 8 months ago

Which will hit 30,000 first? DOW or COVID-19 deaths?

1 month later
    #3921 6 months ago

I haven't had any problems with shipments from Amazon. I have noticed that I don't see the blue Amazon delivery trucks out anymore. I think my packages are being delivered by UPS again (or Fedex).

I think the death of retail has been extremely sped up by the Coronavirus. I'm not one that usually likes to head out to malls or strip-malls, so I've been ordering online for the past 10 years. If you don't need something right away, why bother driving an hour and dealing with unknowns, when you don't have to? With people being forced to buy online for the past 6 weeks, how many will return to brick and mortar?

I know that I started getting pickup and delivery for my groceries, and it's much more convenient. I doubt I'll ever go back to normal grocery shopping, unless I need something right away.

g54sy5c08aw41 (resized).jpg
    #3922 6 months ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Maybe he's doing another Joe Rogan interview?

lpu9nx0of8w41 (resized).png
    #3970 6 months ago

Uh oh...

Tesla stockholders, Elon Musk is on the Joe Rogan podcast today.

(I think they aren't live any more, just prerecorded. If only you could get your hands on the tape before it's public and lock in your trades!)

https://twitter.com/joerogan/status/1258278935361654784

#3993 6 months ago

Wall Street and Main Street aren't even in the same Universe.

#4016 6 months ago
    Quoted from noob-a-tron:

Watched The Big Short last night and 99 Homes again last night interesting. Being in Australia does anyone know the figures of the USA of unemployment now versus then?

Seen the first and enjoyed it (also read that one and most of Michael Lewis's books). Haven't seen 99 Homes. I will look for that...

Skip ahead to 20:27 (mm:ss) --

1 week later
    #4134 6 months ago

There are no sports to gamble on, so people are gambling on the markets.

#4200 6 months ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

I'll try. Market is fundamentally different from the "Free Market" in the past.
    As Companies borrow money Fed becomes a partial owner with input as to Business decisions.
    As Real Estate values are crushed Fed loans enable vulture Capitalist to swoop in for great deals.
    Massive unemployment will evolve into a permanent drop of Employees, the highest cost for Business is salary. The ones will under the knife to be winnowed will be higher paid, older, or slackers. Long term = more profits.
    O Interest Fed liquidity enables large players to borrow money and gamble it in the Market. If they lose liberal bailouts are now the norm, a win win for the speculator.
    The Fed learned it can turn on the spigot of Taxpayer-backed liquidity (money printing) without a peep heard from citizens, who were payed off a pittance 1200 to 2400 while billions went to Banks, hedge fund managers, partial Fed ownership of cruise lines, airlines, Factories and Real Estate.
    Fed is also purchasing Foreign assets as well ensuring World dominance by the dollar and making the sawbuck truly the Worlds Reserve Currency. This hinders alternative currency( Brics, Yen, Bitcoin, etc) from gaining hold.
    Fed promised "Unlimited Liquidity". Market has evolved in to a true Ponzi scheme with no or little connection to Main Street USA.

Really? Cause I heard "strong fundamentals"...

What exchange is "Human Capital Stock" listed on?

2 months later
    #4633 3 months ago

keupvzpoaxd51 (resized).png

#4641 3 months ago

At this point is the stock market any different than going down to the track and putting money on the ponies?

Kramer "investing" in KODK on July 27th...

3 weeks later
    #4714 3 months ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Good job in on getting RKT at $18. How did you get in so early?
    I added a second position of FVRR this past a Monday at $112. I am a buy and hold guy though and will be on this one to see how it goes. And yeah been quiet around here.

I wonder if the next bust will be bigger than 2000 tech bubble?

200px-Pets.com_sockpuppet (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #4830 83 days ago
    4dqtmt (resized).jpg
    #4871 81 days ago
    Quoted from Richthofen:

Dude, we are in a depression. A huge portion of the economy, travel, tourism, dine in restaurants, all a shadow of their former business output.
    Apple certainly has been a good business, and it’s doing smart things, but smartphone saturation is here and people are keeping their devices longer. And I have to imagine that lots of people are holding back on computers and other tech purchases due to job loss or other issues. Even the best names can get pummeled due to larger economic forces.

Those of us who are working from home these days, have a lot of extra income each paycheck that we are not spending on commuting, vacations or going out (restaurants, theaters, bars, etc). I've seen a lot of my neighbors putting money into their homes (indoor and outdoor renovations). I'd also bet that a lot of that newly discovered income is being put into speculating on stocks. Er, I mean "investing"...

Everyone seems to have an opinion on which direction the stock markets are going to go. For every "expert", "sage" or "wonk" who says it's on a trajectory for unparalleled heights, there's one who's saying the opposite.

Stock Market Crash 2.0: A Perfect Storm Is Brewing
    https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/09/05/stock-market-crash-20-a-perfect-storm-is-brewing/
    - The author brings up (his opinion of) the signs that the market is due for a correction (decline in buybacks & dividends, virus's continuing negative effect on consumption/jobs/housing/loan defaults/etc)

And there's gold-bug Peter Schiff who predicted the last bubble's end. Will lightning strike twice?
    https://www.schiffradio.com/did-biggest-bubble-ever-just-pop/

An interesting question is do average investors actually move the market or is it the whales like Softbank?

#4873 80 days ago

I get that Apple stock makes you money, but from an ethical standpoint they're a shitty company. From dodging taxes, suicide nets at their foreign sweatshops, monopolistic app store, refusal to aid law enforcement, purposeful degredation of battery life to spur phone obsolescence, not to mention Steve Jobs was a shitty human person.

They sell overpriced smartphones to hipsters and grandmas/children who don't know any better.

But people like to trade their stock I guess...

#4961 75 days ago

I've always wondered what the "worth" of a stock is that doesn't pay dividends now or never really plans on paying them.

You're basically just speculating that someone down the line is going to pay more for your pin than when you bought it. You're not really using the coin mechs on the machine...

https://money.stackexchange.com/questions/51976/if-a-stock-doesnt-pay-dividends-then-why-is-the-stock-worth-anything

#4969 75 days ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Do you own any stocks?

Outside of mutual funds and managed retirement accounts...

Only ones that send me quarterly dividend checks in the mail!

It's like having 4 extra birthdays a year!

2 weeks later
    #5248 58 days ago

FAKE NEWS!!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 49.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 99.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Loop Combo Pinball
    $ 55.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos LLC
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    € 197.00
    Displays
    PINBALLSP
    $ 58.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 44.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 38.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 34.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 219.00
    $ 43.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 36.99
    Playfield - Other
    Pinball Stuff
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos LLC
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Other
    Rocket City Pinball
    Playfield - Other
    Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bobsacamano.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside