kuiil-have-spoken.gif
200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5101 Roth conversion advice. Posted by iceman44 (3 years ago)

Post #19981 How To Read US Debt Clock Posted by pinnyheadhead (5 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider astropin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 7 years ago

Not an active market trader but I am in the market. I'm old school buy and hold solid companies...and I like stocks that pay dividends as well.

Recently I got involved with the online loan companies like Prosper and Lending Club. I'm in Prosper. It has not been long enough for me to really sing it praises but so far I like what I'm seeing. Very customizable (if you want) as far as what types of loans you get involved in (I prefer debt consolidation) and also the level of risk you want to take on. Loans are rated from AA-HR. My highest percentage is in B & C rated loans. I'm currently averaging 10.7% annualized which beats the market....but, that is not a final number and will likely dip a little as more defaults show up. Should still beat the market average though.

Right now I'm showing 21 defaulted loans.....which sounds a little scary until you realise I'm spread out over 264 loans total.

#104 7 years ago

My proudest Stock Moment......buying Disney after the 2008 crash for $17.66 a share (Still have them and have bought more since then).

#112 7 years ago

So I google IUL and this was my first hit:

http://www.hcplive.com/physicians-money-digest/personal-finance/dahle-5-reasons-not-to-buy-iul-insurance

The bottom line from that article: "You simply don’t get anywhere near the market returns due to the costs of the insurance, the additional fees, the loss of the dividends, the cap rates, and the participation rates. These products don’t pass the common sense test."

#113 7 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Dividend reinvestment too?

yes

#144 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

To back up what I said before, I'll chuck some figures in with my post.
My proudest investment moment ... buying this 70,000sqft place for $2,200,000 in 2010 in the middle of the recession.
It had been NZs biggest pallet racking factory but it went bust, and the place was empty. I knew it was a dead set winner. My bank didn't agree and wouldn't loan me the money to buy it. So I went cap in hand to other banks to find someone who would .. and closed my account and moved all banking to the new bank.
The following 5 years was a process of tidying it up (all by myself) finding 5 tenants for it (all by myself) building another 13,000sqft warehouse down the back (did the interior myself) for another tenant ... and selling it at the height of the market recently for $5,400,000.
That profit paid off the balance on all the other properties I own. Nice one.
I sold it because there is a recession coming. Mark my words. I wanted to clear all my debt before it hits ... and be in a position to capitalise on it again ... same as I did in 2010.
That's the advice I give to everyone at the moment ... get a cash nest egg ASAP as there will be bargains coming up, in real estate, stocks, whatever you are into.
rd

Just for the sake of comparison, if I had put your 2.2 million into my Disney stock back in 2009 I would have over 11 million today.

#199 7 years ago

Cashed out the rest of my Roth and I'm transferring it to Prosper (which is also set up as a Roth account). So it's really just a rollover.

I manage most of my money on E*Trade with most of it being stuck in index funds.

#202 7 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

I don't even see a Roth as an option on Prosper's site.

You have to go through "Millennium Trust" to set it up as a Roth account (or other retirement vehicle).

https://www.mtrustcompany.com/

#205 7 years ago
Quoted from investingdad:

Are you certain this wasn't a taxable event?

Yes... I checked it all out before preceding. I had to set up the Roth with Mellinium Trust prior to rolling funds from the existing Roth.

2 weeks later
#280 7 years ago

So for those who plan to retire early how do you plan your future income? Are you planning on living of just the interest earned from your investments?

I could potentially go 30+ years in retirement and that's if I retire at 65. Sure I could die anytime but my family history is fairly good on the longevity end. Had a great uncle die this year at 110. Cancer took my Grandpa but he was still 84 and my great grandfather lived to 96 sucking on pipe every waking moment and eating eggs and bacon every morning.

So I might (maybe, if I'm lucky) have an extended retirement. My goal was to save enough to live of the interest but probably not going to get there unless I work a little longer than 65. I estimated 2 million in order to be able to live off just the interest.....and still be able to travel and have some fun.

2 months later
#384 7 years ago

Retirement.

I'm roughly 15 years away from retirement. Trying to "hit a number" and appear to be on track....with some luck.

Anywho....what it the best way to maximize the "payout" with an uncertain life expectancy? I just looked into "immediate annuities" and the results looked pretty decent considering it's "guaranteed" income (for life if you choose).

#385 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Retirement.
I'm roughly 15 years away from retirement. Trying to "hit a number" and appear to be on track....with some luck.
Anywho....what it the best way to maximize the "payout" with an uncertain life expectancy? I just looked into "immediate annuities" and the results looked pretty decent considering it's "guaranteed" income (for life if you choose).

Anyone? Beuller?

ferris_bueller_quotes_teacher1 (resized).jpgferris_bueller_quotes_teacher1 (resized).jpg

#388 7 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

What's your risk tolerance? - Moderate
What are your assets? - Mostly Retirement Plans - 401k(s), ROTH's....etc... One home.
What are your liabilities? - In Retirement? Not much hopefully....a home, couple of cars every 5 years or so.
Do you have any future purchases planned...ie - 2nd house in Florida. - Probably (see above)
Do you have life insurance? If so, what kind? Cash value? Only Term Insurance....will end when I retire....roughly.
Do you have college for your kids to pay? - x2....but will be paid off by the time I retire.
How much does it cost to be you for a year? - A lot

#390 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

As for annuity you are taking a chance in that if you die early your heirs will not get the proceeds.

You can "annuitize" (for a smaller payout) that will pay out the remainder of your funds to your heirs.

I think I have a better than average chance of exceeding 85. Holding off on SS until 70 shouldn't be an issue.

#391 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Maybe you are being funny but you can not answer the question until you lock down what your have, how old you are, how much you save, are you married, any kids, any chance of divorce or future marriage or future kids a lot of questions and just giving two word answer to above questions is telling nothing and you'll get nothing. Garbage in garbage out.
If you plan on having kids figure to spend a lot more than you currently are spending.

Well I'm not really comfortable getting into extreme financial detail on a website....call me crazy.

You have a pot of money set aside for retirement.....on average, what is the best way to maximize your payouts from that pot for the longest period of time? Let's say 30 years if we have to pick a number. You mentioned getting approximately 4% from your investments....which you could theoretically do and not even touch the principle. But I've seen immediate annuities that pay out 5.4% for life.....of course you are chewing into the principle here but the payout is guaranteed for life regardless of what happens in the market. Just wondering if there are better/smarter alternatives?

#402 7 years ago
Quoted from investingdad:

My goal is 3.5% safe withdrawal rate.

That would be nice becasue then you never have to touch the principle. Gives you unlimited time in retirement and you get to pass the principle to your children (or loved ones).

Unfortunately I got a VERY late start on retirement savings.....like many. Fortunately I have a good business that I also get to sell in retirement, plus I'm trying to make up for lost time. Hurts a little now but will be worth the piece of mind.

Everyone talks about factoring in an average 3% cost of living increase......but it that really needed? I mean will I really spend in my late eighties early nineties what I'll spend in my late 60's and in my 70's? Somehow I really doubt it. I might still be alive and well but I don't see traveling as much or buying pinball machines in my 90's.

#405 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

While you may not be traveling or buying pinball in your 80's-90's you may want to move into something like an independent living or life care community. Those can be very expensive and their rates go up 3-5% per year.
My mother in law is dowing that now. Can't maintain the big house on her own, doesn't want to leave the city and likes the option of having higher levels of care available right there where she will have made her new home.

Good point!

3 weeks later
#408 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Recently I got involved with the online loan companies like Prosper and Lending Club. I'm in Prosper. It has not been long enough for me to really sing it praises but so far I like what I'm seeing. Very customizable (if you want) as far as what types of loans you get involved in (I prefer debt consolidation) and also the level of risk you want to take on. Loans are rated from AA-HR. My highest percentage is in B & C rated loans. I'm currently averaging 10.7% annualized which beats the market....but, that is not a final number and will likely dip a little as more defaults show up. Should still beat the market average though.

Just a little update on my Prosper account. Nearly a year in now and I'm averaging 11.7% return which is beating my expectations by a large margin. This is still WAY too short of a time frame to properly judge but I'm impressed with what I'm seeing. I did "customize" my account with certain restrictions on how my money is loaned out and I also customized the percentages assigned to the loan ratings (AA through E). I'm weighted mostly in the B & C class loans (55%) with A & D classes representing 35% and E at 10% (I have 0% in AA).

#412 7 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Ticker pb ? high beta reasonable pe

It's not a stock I own ....they take your money and loan it out to people. It's referred to as "peer to peer" lending. I have mine set up as a Roth account but you can also just do straight lending.

Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Unfortunately in the great state of MD you can't invest in Prosper

Lame. Same with Lending Club? I couldn't do Lending Club but could do Prosper.

#413 7 years ago

I just checked and you are open to Lending Club.....which is essentially the same thing.

2 weeks later
#424 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

If you look at http://www.firecalc.com
You will see there is a wide range of outcomes for any given set of starting portfolio and spending plan.
You can only control spending, you can't control (predict) rate of return or time of death.
An annuity can flatten out the spending uncertainty but costs you something for that insurance.
As always you will die sometime in the future, and you can't take it with you so you should be fine spending the principal.
I plan on spending 3.5-4% of principal adjusted for inflation.
Father Time is undefeated

So my great uncle that lived to 110 was way out there.

#430 7 years ago

Yeah I'm generally not a fan of LTC insurance.

#434 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Anyone have any ideas on beat up stocks like VZ or IBM
I figure VZ will stabilize its one of the dogs, sometimes dogs are better than high fliers because there's only so much lower they can go (unless the truly collapse) which I can't see VZ or IBM doing.
VZ is pushing close to 5% dividend. And truly makes money every month, my phone bill is a testament to that.
IBM while a long term dog still makes money off mainframe computers and is getting into cloud computing. It's contracting but has tremendously bought back shares. Have bought back 400M shares in the last 9 years. Has bought back more than half of the company in the last 20 years.
I like Amazon and Google better but so do everyone and their grandmother so they're (maybe) over bought.

I love the "out of favor" stocks. If the market loves them I generally avoid. A little beat down but still solid fundamentally is what I tend to look for.

4 months later
#482 6 years ago

Anyone playing around with the crypto currencies? I put a little into the Bitcoin stock and it has shot up 31% in about 1 week. Of course it could crash just as hard.

My biggest concern with them is the looming emergence of quantum computing which could blow the security of these out of the water.

Still, they may be worth a gamble in the short term.

#484 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Quantum computing is about 50 years off as a viable (i.e. usable) solution.

Really? I don't think it's that far off. I could see 10-20. 50 is WAY too long to project technological advancement (IMHO).

#485 6 years ago

So I've been doing a lot more research. I still don't think quantum computing is 50 years away...and I still think 10-20 seems more likely.

However; the cryptocurrencies are more secure than I realized and even the advent of quantum computing will not signify their doom. The big question though is whether or not there will be a consensus to upgrade bitcoin's security (currently SHA-256) to something even more "quantum safe" like SHA-3? Without consensus the code can't be changed and that could be a big problem down the road. Other cryptocurrencies are already "quantum safe"...at least for the foreseeable.

#487 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Happy investing!

I honestly can't tell if you're being fesecious or not?

#490 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I wasn't trying to be flip, but I'm not going to try to talk you out of it- it's your money!

Well you're "in blockchain tech" but not invested in any of it? You can PM me if you want. I guess it really boils down to whether or not you think cryptocurrencies are here for the long haul or not. I think they will be for obvious reasons (financial transaction speed, security and cost). It will be an extremely volatile ride but I think they are here to stay. Will they replace fiat currency? Hard to say...maybe, someday. More likely they will simply be an alternative form of currency...at least in my lifetime.

BTW...I'm only throwing "speculation money" at this...not my life savings.

#493 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I wasn't clear I guess - I was interpreting your post as wanting to short crypto based on quantum computing being a likely to-market reality in the next 10-20 years. One of my customers is doing risk analysis on disruptive technologies to see how long they have to live, so to speak. I'm building their analytical business rule engine.. anyway let's just say the quantum risk score is hella low.
Currencies are historically like forms of media - they evolve and are disrupted when new stuff comes out, but they don't completely die (except in the case of where an entire civilisation dies out). So we'll live alongside it. Banks are betting HEAvy on blockchain right now; they have a vested interest in its inability to be decrypted. That's a long game. Anyway, quantum computing.

Yeah...I think shorting Bitcoin or Ether would be a hell of a huge mistake. I'm betting long on them.

3 months later
#571 6 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

If you think Stock Market is too risky constantly reinvest into CDs. If you started in 1980 with a CD and just kept reinvesting with new CDs you would have avoided the all bear markets and come out way on top.

Right now CD's are returning around 2.4% on the high end. So you would be locking your money up for 5 years at 2.4%. Sure it's safe. If you think the market will have a big correction in the timeframe I guess it's not a bad play...but if you guess wrong that's a lot of coin left on the table.

3 weeks later
#591 6 years ago

Proven fact that no one can "time the market"...no one.

That being said in hindsight it will "appear" that many people timed the market perfectly...law of averages.

#597 6 years ago
Quoted from Pintucky:

I just hope the market starts out tomorrow the way it ended Thursday and Friday last week. I've been doing quite well on money I invested between 2000 and 2010. I just need 6 months or maybe 1 year in order to have enough to cash out, pay off all debts and have enough left over to have a decent rest of life. I'm 70, and to me, this is the critical stage of my entire life of trying to make and save money. If the market will just stay steady for awhile, modest increases and no major 'downs', that's all I'm hoping for. I'm just afraid of tomorrow, for some reason. It could be a big sell-off day. It was tempting for ME to take it while I can and seriously thought of cashing in at least half tomorrow, but decided tonight not to. If there are many others who actually do that, well . . . you know the rest of the story!

It seems like the market has gotten more volatile over time. That's not necessarily a bad thing (I think the overall avg returns have remained fairly stable)...but we seem to have quicker recoveries to market crashes with higher upswings and then sharper downturns. I don't know if AI trading taking over is having this effect or it's just a natural progression. But retiring at the wrong time (at the top) could really suck. Of course retiring at the bottom would be a major plus. Unfortunately you don't know where you landed hit until after the fact.

I wish you the best of luck but it seems to me you're a pretty savvy guy and will do alright either way.

#602 6 years ago

What I meant by that is if you retire when the market happens to be at it's peak your portfolio is going to way underperform in the following years. You could be hurt even following the old 4% rule.

On the flip side of you happen to retire at the bottom of the market your portfolio is going to overperform historical averages and you could potentially draw 8% annually and still have it last.

Good luck/Bad luck scenarios.

#618 6 years ago
Quoted from ExtremePinball:

every day trader, swing trader, and options trader on the planet aren't "timing the stock market", then academia might want to cough up a reason why they're making billions doing just that.

Can you point me to some statistics corroborating that? My understanding is that "most" day traders fail to beat the market. In fact many just outright fail. Some of course will be huge successes...but not from any masterful insights, just the law of averages.

#620 6 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

True day traders are looking to make 2 cents on a trade...they just make thousands upon thousands of trades a year.

Okay? But I believe most "true day traders" still perform worse on average then just sticking their money in an S&P 500 index fund.

#630 6 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

A lot of 401ks have age based allocations. I’d convert over to that ASAP.

A large block of my 401's are now being AI managed. I can set the "risk tolerance" parameters but then it takes over from there. Part of the risk parameters also ask about the time period you are looking at before retiring and it adjust the risks accordingly. So far so good.

I also have retirement funds in traditional "index funds" and also some being used for personal loans (Prosper) and a small amount in the crypto market....oh, and a little bit of physical gold.

#633 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I heard one good strategy is to do a TON of cocaine & then day trade on margin.
Has anyone tried that?

Can I do it with your money?

2 weeks later
#661 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

So were you guys ready for what Happened on Friday? Just curious. If so how did you prepare? I am an enthusiast and would like to be involved in trading someday.

I'm a holder not a trader...so easy come easy go. It will bounce back eventually.

#685 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Plus what is your alternative? Keep in cash and make negative returns?

Exactly...there aren't a lot good reasons not to be invested in the market unless you simply cannot afford to be.

Even if you're a real estate wiz and making bank...some of that cash should be getting plowed into the market long term.

#689 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yeah, if I hadn't cashed out those stocks would be worth much more now. Live and learn I guess.

And probably close to 2x what they would have been today in another 10 years or so.

#700 6 years ago

I'm not an expert but I believe you have to wait until 59 1/2 to start drawing on your 401k without fees or penalties.

#707 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I think you are incorrect as long as you’re *retired* can take at 55 without penalty.

https://www.thebalance.com/what-age-can-funds-be-withdrawn-from-401k-2388807

Well this is true ONLY if you retire in the same year that you turn 55. If you retire at say 54 and then try to draw at 55 you will get hit with penalties.

#709 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Ok but there’s also a backdoor Roth where you can convert an IRA to a ROTH IRA.

Which is what I'm looking into right now since I can no longer contribute to a Roth. Just need to weigh the tax implications but since I don't plan to retire for another decade or so this looks like the smartest option.

#727 6 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Are diamonds not the best investment? Just curious folks.

Historically? No. Over that last 30 years they've averaged about 4%. The projection over the next 10 is 6%.

6 years later
#20721 41 days ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Bitcoin

[quoted image]

Original post in this thread mentioning Bitcoin at a price of approximately $1000 (7 years ago). I started buying later that year, and never stopped.
Anyone who thinks the current price might be the peak this cycle...lol.

#20724 41 days ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Bought more today - also bought more Microstrategy

Nice, I also picked up some MSTR.

#20731 40 days ago
Quoted from BRONX:

@Astropin
Bitcoin currently $73,000usd+
What is the ceiling price this cycle?
How do you determine a value price when buying Bitcoin? I can do it on stocks based on its financials, business demand, execution, and future forecasts plus stock buybacks and dividends of course! But with Bitcoin? I can only see supply vs demand, fear of missing out, the mentality "it's only to go up" and individuals not trusting governments, stock markets, banking systems , etc ... but Bitcoin they trust!
So for a value seeker like myself, is there a more deeper valid ideology/theory to determine when Bitcoin is a fair market value, a bargain or a rip-off? I certainly can't tell?
Do you purchase any of the etf version or Bitcoin itself?

Great question. Make of this what you will. I posted this in the "crypto / Bitcoin" thread:

I'm generally not a "chart" guy and definitely not a "TA" guy as it applies to Bitcoin. However, having a science background I do find this one fascinating. Please...if you're unfamiliar with "power laws" refrain from commenting...until you are.

https://charts.bitbo.io/long-term-power-law/#:~:text=Bitcoin%20Long%20Term%20Power%20Law%20Explained&text=These%20resistance%20and%20support%20bands,between%20bitcoin's%20price%20and%20time.

Giovanni Santostassi, an Italian Astrophysicist has discovered that Bitcoin is (so far) following a time-based power law. He first proposed this in 2014 but even he admitted there were not near enough data points to make a conclusion. But now, 15 years in, he's convinced there is enough data to take this seriously.

Personally I think if it does break it will break to the upside. But, I am now using this as my base (worst case scenario) the bottom "support line" of the chart.

Breifly what does this chart indicate? That BTC should crack $1M by 2028...however, it will not sustain above $1M until 2037 (bottom section). You can use the first link to move around the chart and see possible highs and lows at different dates.

Also, the price has often broken above it's predicted range after halvings occur, but the price has never broken below the support line...in 15 years.

#20737 40 days ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Honestly I don't believe bitcoin is worth a cent, but there are a lot of people that do, so I'm trying not to miss out on the perceived value that it holds. I finally jumped in when the ETFs started, because that opened the door to everyone who is like me and doesn't want to mess with a hardware wallet and I dont trust holding it on an exchange. What I'm watching is all the BIG money managers that have a board that votes on investments for their portfolio. As more of these allocate a few percent it will keep demand up - and too much demand vs supply equals upward pricing.

All of the ETF'S store their Bitcoin on one exchange... Coinbase. Except for Fidelity. For that reason alone I would buy Fidelity's ETF over the others. Fidelity self custodies...and they have shown over the years that they understand Bitcoin.

#20740 40 days ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

That is also why coinbase stock is surging in price

It also creates a huge single point of failure.

#20742 40 days ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Id find it hard to take (especially) financial advice from anyone who has shelves that look like that.
$1M? OK, that’s quite a prediction.
IMO, and I’m not predicting this, but if there’s ever some kind of world apocalypse or disintegration of major government, I hardly think that helps BC. BC value relies on the traditional behaviors - hype, gullibility, greed and FOMO - inherent in established (if not stable) systems.
Of course I wish you all great success and riches, and I understand some of you have already done fabulously.

15 years of data and not a single break below the support line. I'll take it.

#20743 40 days ago
Quoted from BRONX:

@Astropin
Do you purchase any of the etf version or Bitcoin itself?

The vast majority is actual Bitcoin. I hold a smaller amount of Fidelity's ETF (FBTC) in a pension rollover.

My Roth was rolled into a Roth that holds actual Bitcoin and I hold the keys. It's a two of three multisig account with Unchained Capital. They hold one set of keys and I hold two. Two are needed to move the Bitcoin.

I also hold some additional Bitcoin in a traditional IRA with Unchained Capital....same set up.

If Unchained Capital goes bankrupt I've lost nothing. If I move the Bitcoin early, then I would incure the same penalties as removing funds from a traditional IRA early.

I also have some in cold storage wallets.

#20748 40 days ago
Quoted from BRONX:

@Astropin
Thank you, I will look at you posted later today and look into "power laws"
Last question...... After I re-educate myself yet again? and I still feel Bitcoin is nothing more than a pet-rock. What is the best way to short it, if I really think it's worth nothing more than a pet-rock? Sorry bit-coiners.
I really feel there is alot of money to be made here, perhaps a ton. I just don't know on what take, the many "bulls" who think it going to a bazillion bucks, or the really bad bears, even though the bears are less common on this Bitcoin thing, but believe that a bag of kitty litter has more value than the entire Bitcoin empire and all of its tokens..
At the moment I would like to wager a small bet, that Bitcoin is worth squat! and I want this small bet to materialize into millions of dollars, so what's my best strategy to do so? Can I buy put options perhaps?
I don't like if the put option has a time date, like real option... I think it's going to zero, just don't know when
Astropin I will read what you posted, thank you for reaching out.

Shorting Bitcoin has proven to be (over the years) the fastest way to lose money known to man. I wish you luck. I have added Bitcoin to my portfolio for nearly 7 years now. I have never traded it. Accumulated only. It's worth more than my traditional investments and retirement funds combined (including my wifes 401k). There are good reasons for that. But hey, if you think you know more than BlackRock and Fidelity...go for it.

#20751 40 days ago
Quoted from BRONX:

I said a small wager, a wager I can afford to lose, sort of like a lottery ticket to win big
What are my options?
Can I buy $10,000 put option for July 2026 for 1cent and buy like 10,000 of these option for $100 total investment, if it hits cash out for $1mil Buckaroos or more?

There are ways to short it...but not how you describe. I think everyone would do that.

#20754 40 days ago
Quoted from Zablon:

So..no offense to Astropin, but he is a true believer. I do not think there is anything anyone could say to sway him, even if it went back to $1k and NEVER went back up before he died, he'd keep buying. I do not like that kind of mentality because it leaves no room for the rest of the world. I wish him the best in his endeavor though and hope it works out (it seems like it already has to a degree, just remember though, you are only set if you sell at this point).
Having some scepticism isn't a bad thing, but the mentality behind crypto is a bit different than stocks or even just FIAT. You cannot argue that people find value in it, even if it is just FOMO and speculation. You can 'think' it is worth squat, but the price refutes that and as long as others think it holds value, it will. I think Tesla is worth squat, but look at it, or any other tech company bubble. There is money to be made. The same mentality as stocks. Buy low, sell high if you do not trust it to be of any value. The real difference is you can't use profit sheets or economic forecasts to try to predict what it will go to. It's purely technical with a bit of known time frames, and news that might cause movement. I think the main thing that annoys me about crypto is it is supposed to be decoupled from the market, but it isn't. Not yet.

Probably true at this stage. There is also a mountain of difference between Bitcoin and "crypto" to me. "Crypto" is basically all scams and pump and dumps. Someting like Bitcoin could only happen once. Again, just my opinion. Yes the $$ value of my BTC is quite high and this point...but my "cost basis" isn't anything that would totally wreck me if I lost it...and that is how I look at it...what I've pumped into it. Well that and the possible "opportunity costs" associated with that. I'm comfortable with it because I understand it. That in itself took a long time. I first looked at it in 2014 at $400....didn't buy because I thought it looked "scammy"....whoops.

#20759 39 days ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Ultimately, it wants to be currency. A single easy to use, world currency. That is the ultimate goal. There are lots of other pieces to it, but that's the primary goal. It is too volatile to be considered that now. The belief is at some point it will reach a point where it is no more volatile than FIAT, but is also somehow inflation resistant. The reason it is believed it can be currency is that it is finite and cannot have more made. The counter is, it has no backing and it is purely digital. But the rebuttal is that neither does the USD and we are more and more digital/cashless every day. It is infinitely divisible so while 1BTC=whatever the rate is, .000001BTC etc, can be traded/used (Pennies to Dollars) so (most) people aren't buying/selling entire BTC's at these prices. They are just buying fractions.
I do find it odd you would want to bet against something you haven't researched though.
Will it ever get there? Maybe? Maybe not. Clearly with the ETF's it has gotten enough support to be more than nothing.

Not "infinitely" divisable...but each Bitcoin is divisible by 100,000,000 Satoshi's.

Why does it have value? Because it has utility and all of the properties of hard money. It solved digital scarcity....1st time in human history.

It allows anyone to transfer value to anyone else on the planet, quickly, and without needing a trusted 3rd party. Also a 1st. And no one can prevent that transaction from taking place ...and everyone can verity that it did indeed take place.

It's an immutable ledger. It's "the" protocol of money/value, much like TCP/IP is the protocol of the Internet.

TCP/IP was invented in the 70's and it's still the base layer of the Internet...we have simply built on top of that protocol over the years to add features.

Same way people will/are building secondary layers on top of the Bitcoin protocol to add features.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 18.95
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider astropin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders?tu=astropin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.