kuiil-have-spoken.gif
200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5101 Roth conversion advice. Posted by iceman44 (3 years ago)

Post #19981 How To Read US Debt Clock Posted by pinnyheadhead (5 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TigerLaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#652 6 years ago
Quoted from Pintucky:

I just want the market to stay stable

Challenging to have stability in equities. Perhaps give fixed income a closer look. Of course, if interest rates rise the existing bond market will go down a bit as newer bonds have higher coupons.

#734 6 years ago

Yea, kind of back and forth in the morning and then as the afternoon went on it got worse.

#744 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Read this, understand it and pay attention to the 10 yr treasury closely
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/apos-why-stock-market-turmoil-184600325.html

Yea, I understand how the bonds put pressure on stocks, but what I don’t understand is how inflation puts pressure on stocks. Seems like with higher than anticipated inflation equities would be the place to be since they actually can counter inflation by raising prices down stream to consumers. Obviously, I’m wrong on this but don’t understand why. Ice?

#769 6 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I am so tempted to move some of my money in index funds to a safe harbor until the bleeding ends. Is anybody else doing this or just holding on to the wheel tight?

Holding tight I think is the best answer. Get ready for some tough weeks ahead though, but trying to time the market coming and going is too tough.

#772 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

and 20-30 years from now these prices will seem cheap as well.

And hopefully you will have 20-30 years of dividends as well, assuming you focus on dividend generating stocks.

2 years later
#1637 4 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

This market is so incredibly oversold.
Fact: Lower oil means higher profits for all companies (except oil companies).
Fact: Lower interest rates, means lower borrowing costs for everyone. I saw earlier, that Bank of America stopped taking on new mortgage refinancing applications because they are so overwhelmed.
Fact: The press has gone to town in creating a coronavirus hysteria. I had a doctor appointment this morning and my doctor said seeing the press flat out lie about coronavirus made him sick to his stomach. He said it isn't the measles, where it just rapidly spreads. He said this virus is actually difficult to spread, because it can only enter your body through the eyes, nose or mouth and only through bodily fluids. He also went on to say that the virus dies within minutes of exiting the body.

I agree with you, but sadly perception is reality when it comes to the markets and there is a lot of fear right now (be it justified or imaginary). I think the markets will hit their bottom before this week in concluded and start the climb back up next week.

#1641 4 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I think today was the bottom.
For full disclosure, my college roommate is a doctor, and I’ve become friends with his doctor friends. Between them and my doctor I saw today, they all say the same thing. It’s being way overblown.
They way I see it, remember last summer the press was all “blah blah blah recession blah blah blah recession”. Replace recession with coronavirus.

I don’t disagree with you but the spreading of all this rampant fear is resulting in the cancelation of a lot of stuff. So many people are scared to travel or go to events now, revenue lost from things like the cancelation of a 30,000 person convention in New Orleans or Vegas will never be recovered by those communities. It’s sad, but it’s worse than the recession talk of last year because it has so many people afraid to leave their house...

That said, I’m glad to see so many people now practicing good hygiene, I’m hoping the fist bump will replace the handshake and people will keep up their hand washing once all the freaking out is done in a week or two.

Sadly this scare is combined with the oil prices going down. That is going to stimulate some things and depress others.

2 weeks later
#2585 4 years ago

At this juncture, I don't think we are going to see a true "bottom" until there is medical news that shows things are under control or will be under control soon(ish): vaccine or treatment, either would be a stabilizing event. Till then everything is just a band-aid, and not a stitch, and there will keep being up and down volatility.

1 week later
#3061 4 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

Once corporate America realizes most of its business can be done virtually, you really think they’re going back to flying people all over the place? Just like all those corporate middle management jobs came back after 2008?

Yep, I think this is a very astute observation and totally agree. People are realizing how much money can be saved with no traveling. I think virtual really takes over moving forward. Same with business lunches and restaurant dinners, think how much money people are saving eating microwaveable lunches and home dinners...I don’t see dining recovering quickly.

People are getting accustomed to not spending money, getting that trend changed could be problematic.

8 months later
#6224 3 years ago

So what is the feel here on converting an IRA to a Roth IRA vs. simply leaving it intact? I know people’s specific situation kind of dictates the decision, but man...there doesn’t seem to be a “clearly best” decision...

4 weeks later
#6925 3 years ago

Ice:
What is your opinion on precious metals in the current investment environment (the metal stocks, mining stocks and direct metal holdings). Thanks.

7 months later
#14783 2 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

As for those "hot tip newsletters", that's an old scam. Launch 100 newsletters (or 100 imaginary profiles, etc.) each one choosing stocks randomly. Cancel the ones which lag the market and upsell the remaining "winners". Throw in a bunch of technical charts, historical projections, unbridled exuberance, etc. By the time you've narrowed the field down to three newsletters/expert profiles which never tanked, it'll look like some kind of financial genius is behind them. Then charge $$$$$ for each upcoming issue and when they finally make a bad turn, disappear from sight with the profits. Example: Brinker's newsletter in May 2008 made the worst call of all... "Our cyclical health-correcting graphs show recovering strength in the economy"... oops. Cyclical what?

Ha! I had not heard of this particular version of that scam but that makes absolute sense that that happens online frequently.

Quoted from NicoVolta:

As you can see, even though there are some good picks here, only two beat the SPXL baseline and the rest lagged by almost half or did far worse.
It's really, really hard to beat the market. By and large, a small number of big winners carry the majority of market gains. Which is super awesome if you happen to pick one outright. But if you miss it, you miss the boat entirely.

I for one am really enjoying your posts. You have a lot more skills than simply fixing EM machines. Please keep the data analysis flowing, it’s awesome.

Quoted from iceman44:

Due your own due diligence brother and good luck. My happy client base speaks for itself. That’s all that matters to me
Furthermore, I WAS here just to provide
a little help and input for people to consider.
I don’t know you and have not seen you around but your attitude is why I’m gone now. Now go back and put the rest of the list up there.

Your posts in this thread are also awesome. I - like many - am happy you are posting in this thread again. I don’t view NV as being negative to you here, he’s just sharing his own views and they are also good to read.

3 months later
#15671 2 years ago
Quoted from plowpusher:

Just crazy how the market has such momentum we all know it wont last forever . Hard part will be knowing when to cash in the chips .

And then where do you put the cashed in chips? Also a challenging decision… Gold, real estate, some other type of asset?

#15693 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

The price of gold rallies by 20% to a new record high. Despite strong growth in the US, investors seek the perceived safety and inflation hedge of gold amidst rising prices and volatility. Gold reclaims its title as a haven for newly minted billionaires, even as cryptocurrencies continue to gain market share.

I’m a precious metals fan and usually bullish on them but this is somewhat far fetched with interest rates rising. It would take a huge surge from outside the US and the dollar weakening in comparison to other currencies which won’t happen this year (even with our high inflation rates we are still viewed as a more stable currency and when interest rates move up gold will go down).

Quoted from nwpinball:

Suddenly, the nuclear alternative for power generation enters the arena. Enough safety measures have been developed to reduce fears about its dangers, and the viability of nuclear power is widely acknowledged. A major nuclear site is approved for development in the Midwest of the United States. Fusion technology emerges as a possible future source of energy.

This would be great for the country to see occur, I hope it is correct.

9 months later
#17601 1 year ago

So, what does this week in front of us look like? It’s earnings season…

3 weeks later
#17847 1 year ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

I like Reits at this price point and after the recent sell off got back in a bunch of them after being out for a year. SPG - malls DOC - medical CCI - cell tower AVB - apartments TRNO REXR - industrials and oversold mortgage Reits - MFA GPMT.

I’m somewhat worried About Reits moving forward with the higher interest rates. That said, they certainly look more attractive than the market right now.

Anyone have any experience with CrowdStreet? How about it’s competitors like RealtyMogul and YeildStreet? I see CrowdStreet has a lot of Reits open for investment now.

#17918 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Saw that. Hysterical. Lilly down big. Estée Lauder too. Why?
Contradicts himself daily. Valuations on EL and LLY sky high
And he trimmed Energy stocks in Sept

Cramer is both an entertainer and analyst. He certainly has some good talking points from time to time, but frequently the entertainer side of him overwhelms the financial analyst side of him and you get his inconsistent gibberish and really bad advice.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
$ 12.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TigerLaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders?tu=TigerLaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.