kuiil-have-spoken.gif
200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5101 Roth conversion advice. Posted by iceman44 (3 years ago)

Post #19981 How To Read US Debt Clock Posted by pinnyheadhead (5 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PhilGreg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13287 2 years ago

Is this the Nintendo stock?
What exchange is that?

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/NTDOY?p=NTDOY

Edit: ok Found my answer. Tokyo stock Exchange https://marketrealist.com/p/is-nintendo-publicly-traded/

Ill have to see if that works with my broker.

#13303 2 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Motley Foot mentioned them in one of their pre-market briefings. It's up 25% today.

Where is that? Do you need a subscription?

#13306 2 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

It's similar to Motley Fool, but for people that count on their fingers and toes.

It wasn't the "Foot" part I was most curious about (that's what I had figured out), it was their pre-market briefing thing I was curious about...

#13310 2 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Ohhhh. Well once fool.com gets your e-mail address you'll get spammed about 10 times a day, but there's some good info mixed in with the filler. I subscribed to 2 years of their stock advisor and rule breaker services a couple weeks back using a promo code. It was something like $99 each for 2 years. I bought some of their picks after I did and already made more than the services cost. I think their picks are legit, but don't buy right when they make them. Wait for a good pullback on quality stocks. Their picks are meant to be held for years.
Ice already mentioned their latest pick, UPST. It looks like it's making a double top to me on the chart right now and it has more than doubled in the last month already. I'd like to own it closer to $100-120.

Thank you - sounds good. Will get into that.
I'm not sure where I got the info (Yahoo finance feed I think?) but they made me some good cash over the years.

1 month later
#14391 2 years ago

Bought some SNOW after reading about it here - 18% up since (+6% today).
Thanks!

2 months later
#14993 2 years ago

I picked up SNOW and BROS from reading this thread. So far so good!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#15010 2 years ago

Last 5 days for the Bros (which is when I picked 'em up after reading about 'em here):

#15012 2 years ago

Another BROS day!

#15019 2 years ago

Not a BROS day today but a BTC day so all good

#15058 2 years ago

So if I understand correctly DWAC is an acquisition corp that owned the infrastructure Trump's Truth network will run on? Those who bought in at ground level, on what basis? Because it was common knowledge for a while but people had to wait for an official statement from Trump or... ?

#15060 2 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

DWAC is a spac (special acquisition company). Specifically of the celebrity variety.
So what happens is a spac raises money at $10 a share and then has 24 months give or take to find a non public company that wants to go public via a reverse merger. Otherwise they return the money. Since the spac has filled out a bunch of the paperwork, the reverse merger company gets to avoid a slew of regulatory stuff. Basically they get to skip a bunch of the required due diligence that an ipo or direct listing have to do.
In the case of a celebrity spac, the celebrity gets a piece of the action as a price for attaching themselves to a project. Typically their piece is protected, so that even if the project fails to launch and the merged company’s stock goes to zero, they still get paid. If things go swimmingly, they get paid a whole bunch more.
So dwac is just a shell company filled with money. The TRUTH social company is the reverse merger target. DWAC is buying a chunk of TRUTH and taking them public. The other private shareholders still own a big chunk of it and the sponsor of DWAC get a sizable chunk for themselves for their effort. Trump (the celebrity) gets a guaranteed payout from DWAC in addition to having a stake in the public company.
TRUTH social company doesn’t actually have a product to sell as of yet. Still in beta. Of course, not having a product yet isn’t necessarily uncommon for these sorts of arrangements.
The biggest insanity is the skyrocketing price of DWAC. Most spacs in general trade at or below their $10 strike within months of completing mergers. Usually a nice pop around announcement pre merger. Sometimes 2-3x, but they usually fall back down to earth after warrants start being exercised and insiders and sponsors start selling.
Some obviously do significantly better…but 10x defies logic. Especially for a company with not a dime of income as of today.
Edit: to add, the sponsors behind DWAC have a rather checkered past with successfully completing spacs as well. Another flag as far as I am concerned.

Thank you. But the fact that Trump and Truth bought in as opposed to any other celebrity, was that sheer luck for the holders or was that premise from day 1?

1 week later
#15170 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

And... LCID continues to run. Another sell order executed at 40.69. Next sell at 43.08. Hopefully the delivery event tomorrow blows it out of the water.

Can you tell a little more about this? I have no idea who Lucid is, what they do, why it's going up and what's expected tomorrow.

Edit: ok well here's who they are and what they do, but not sure why the spike though

"Lucid Group, Inc. a technology and automotive company, develops electric vehicle (EV) technologies. The company designs, engineers, and builds electric vehicles, EV powertrains, and battery systems. As of June 30, 2021, it operated eight retail studios in the United States. The company is headquartered in Newark, California."

#15174 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Lucid Motors (LCID), is a car manufacturing company that went public earlier this year by merging with a Special Purpose Acquisition Corporation (SPAC) by the name of Churchill Capital IV (CCIV). This car manufacturing company is notable for being the second nominally American company to get into electric car manufacturing as it's primary business after Tesla. Many folks on this thread (like me) were shouting CCIV to the rafters 9 months ago when they first went public. However, due to some complicating factors in the merger, there was sever dillusion and the stock went from about 20 to 60 in a week, and then from 60 all the way down on rapid and then slow slide to under 20 about 2 months ago. Some idiots like me held onto most of theirs throughout that time. I took at a huge (for me) position in it before the merger and was holding a few thousand shares bought in at about $23. It hit $40 earlier today as they have announced that their first vehicles are delivering tomorrow. Was Lucid a good buy under $30? Maybe. A good buy under $25? Probably. A good buy under $20? Yes. Is it a good buy at $40 right now? I don't know. If you were planning on needing the money this Christmas I'd say probably not. If you needed the money next Christmas, I'd say probably so. At these prices I don't think it is a guaranteed short term investment, but think it is a really solid play over the next few years.

Thank you for that detailed explanation! Picked up a few K worth.
My Pinside portfolio is now:
-SNOW
-BROS
-LCID
-DVN

#15182 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Regret not doing options on BROS.

Local boys too!

#15194 2 years ago
Quoted from edcianci:

look at selling the call options for lucid - they are paying great money now - thanks ed

I have no idea how options work - I just buy and sell stock on market price.

#15195 2 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Sweet!! Glad DVN has worked out for you! I was in on it since the WPX days. Boy, that’s been one of my biggest winners!

It hasn't yet worked out one way or another, just picked it up last week... Glad it has worked out for *you*!

2 weeks later
#15392 2 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Fly, Lucid, Fly!

Don't burn your wings now Lucid!

#15438 2 years ago

Ouch! My Pinside portfolio taking a beating

1 month later
#15677 2 years ago
Quoted from Lamberger:

you should hit up discord, already made $300k from their advise. Made a ton on Upstart!

How does one "hit up discord"?

#15679 2 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

How does one "hit up discord"?

On this end, from cues I picked up here, I'm still in the green, although the last months have been rough.
SNOW - +32.81%
BROS - -3.63%
DVN - + 7.97%
LCID - +3.31%

#15681 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

From Marketwatch today, predictions for this year:
Byron Wien, the vice chairman of private-equity giant Blackstone, has been making his list of ten surprises for 37 years. Previously the chief U.S. investment strategist at Morgan Stanley, Wien has been with Blackstone since 2009. These days Wien makes his “surprise” predictions with Joe Zidle, chief investment strategist in Blackstone’s private wealth solutions. Surprise is defined here as an event with a better than 50% likelihood of happening but that an average investor would assign a one in three possibility. Here’s their 2022 list:
-“The combination of strong earnings clashes with rising interest rates, resulting in the S&P 500 making no progress in 2022. Value outperforms growth. High volatility continues and there is a correction that approaches, but does not exceed, 20%.
-While the prices of some commodities decline, wages and rents continue to rise and the Consumer Price Index and other widely followed measures of inflation increase by 4.5% for the year. Declines in prices of transportation and energy encourage the die-hard proponents of the view that inflation is “transitory,” but persistent inflation becomes the dominant theme.
-The bond market begins to respond to rising inflation and tapering by the Federal Reserve, and the yield on the 10-year Treasury rises to 2.75%. The Fed completes its tapering and raises rates four times in 2022.
-In spite of the Omicron variant, group meetings and convention gatherings return to pre-pandemic levels by the end of the year. While Covid remains a problem throughout both the developed and the less-developed world, normal conditions are largely restored in the US. People spend three to four a days a week in offices and return to theaters, concerts, and sports arenas en masse.
-Chinese policymakers respond to recent turmoil in the country’s property markets by curbing speculative investment in housing. As a result, there is more capital from Chinese households that needs to be invested. A major asset management industry begins to flourish in China, creating opportunities for Western companies.
-The price of gold rallies by 20% to a new record high. Despite strong growth in the US, investors seek the perceived safety and inflation hedge of gold amidst rising prices and volatility. Gold reclaims its title as a haven for newly minted billionaires, even as cryptocurrencies continue to gain market share.
-While the major oil-producing countries conclude that high oil prices are speeding up the implementation of alternative energy programs and allowing US shale producers to become profitable again, these countries can’t increase production enough to meet demand. The price of West Texas crude confounds forward curves and analyst forecasts when it rises above $100 per barrel.
-Suddenly, the nuclear alternative for power generation enters the arena. Enough safety measures have been developed to reduce fears about its dangers, and the viability of nuclear power is widely acknowledged. A major nuclear site is approved for development in the Midwest of the United States. Fusion technology emerges as a possible future source of energy.
-ESG evolves beyond corporate policy statements. Government agencies develop and enforce new regulatory standards that require public companies in the US to publish information documenting progress on various metrics deemed critical in the new era. Federal Reserve governors spearhead implementation of stress tests to assess financial institutions’ vulnerability to climate change scenarios.
-In a setback to its green energy program, the United States finds it cannot buy enough lithium batteries to power the electric vehicles planned for production. China controls the lithium market, as well as the markets for the cobalt and nickel used in making the transmission rods, and it opts to reserve most of the supply of these commodities for domestic use.”

So, a course of action one could take if they were to believe in a > 50% likelihood of these things happening would be, for example, to reduce their stock market footprint and invest in real-estate for rental, gold and Texas oil?

#15683 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

NASDAQ and tech in general will be weak in 2022, FAAMG stocks as always will be the safe harbor in tech. Energy will be strong due to inflation and demand. Industrials and companies that make thigs will be ok and may even rise. REITs will do well in inflationary environment too. A lot of smart money is betting on healthcare, financials and industrials. I think you'll see a lot of see-saw action in the market till June, then when Powell hikes rates we will see a nice haircut initially...if inflation responds then you'll rise in the market, if it persists, more haircuts. Try to keep your money in SP500 ETFs, stock picking is going to be a lot harder this year. My diversification has been dangerously narrowed because of this...I'm taking some weight off of my portfolio hoping for the VIX to shoot up and use that money for some well timed trades.

Nice! Thank you for the analysis.
What's VIX? This?

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/quote/VIXY?p=VIXY&.tsrc=fin-srch

4 months later
#16623 1 year ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

I picked up SNOW and BROS from reading this thread. So far so good!
[quoted image]

:'(

4 months later
#17594 1 year ago
Quoted from freegame450:

Sending thanks to iceman44 for for sharing info on energy stock picks.

Energy stocks have propped up my accounts against the “dogs” in my portfolio.

Same here!

2 weeks later
#17888 1 year ago

Yikes DVN

#17894 1 year ago
Quoted from kool1:

Devon - Lower production outlook and higher capex than expected. Disappointing report.
Fed - It's all about the outlook. He indicated higher peak rates needed and higher for longer possible. Very hawkish.

Oh well, still up 36% since the coach gave out the DVN tip a few months back...

1 week later
#17968 1 year ago

Holy crap that's some volatility eh?

1 week later
2 weeks later
#18187 1 year ago
Quoted from hank35:

I know this has been asked many times, but regarding oil, which ones seem to be a buy now? I currently own FANG and XOM

I got into oil following this thread, and I think mostly following iceman44 tips I have, in that order:
DVN, BSM, PXD, BTE.TO. Not sure why I passed on FANG though given that that's his favorite

Ice, since I picked these up based on your comments, let me know if there's any you're not so much into anymore.
I also have IXC, the iShares energy ETF which has done pretty good.

#18195 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Fang is #1 for me. Not sure what BTE.TO is but have all those as well as EOG etc XOM, HES
Hang in there short term

You got it, coach!
Ok BTE probably got from somebody else in the thread or discord.

4 weeks later
#18399 1 year ago

It looks like OpenAI and ChatGPT might be an even bigger story this year than last.
Given that Microsoft is heavily invested in it, I feel like it might be a good idea to go heavy on that as opposed to the Googles and Apples and such.
What do you guys think?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/microsoft-hopes-openai-chatbot-bing-033522919.html

2 weeks later
#18515 1 year ago

So Wall Street looks to rebound... I'm glad about Wall Street's winner attitude, much better than looking to crash.

1 month later
#18829 1 year ago

I know I've heard this guy's name and I guess he's at least somewhat controversial from what I understand, but I just watched this doomsday scenario and it all sounds pretty logical.
All you knowledgeable folks in here, what do you think? I guess that's in line with what I've been reading here - get out of growth, into value, and non-US value at that.

1 month later
#19198 1 year ago

So my mortgage renewal is due - I've always seen that you would pay extra to have it locked in - it's the first time I see it the other way around (variable is 1%+ extra).
Logically that means that over 5 years they see rates going down and want to lock people in at the fixed rate (about 4.75% ish).

I'm tempted to go variable... (I can afford the swings) - anyone have opinions there? (Hopefully not too off-topic, seems market-related to me)

#19201 12 months ago
Quoted from BRONX:

PhilGreg
Curious what the best 5yr rate is nowadays vs variable??

#19211 12 months ago

For the mortgage topic (might get a bit OT, sorry) - typically you buy insurance for things that are unlikely but that you can't afford should they happen, and for those things that are likely to happen but that you can afford if they do, you're better not. Because basically insurance is giving the money for the insurance company to invest, plus they charge you for their trouble, and when said thing happens they give you back part of the money.
That's why I always took variable rates before, I see the fixed rates as an insurance against the rate going up.

The reason I was bringing it up in this thread is that given all the doom and gloom, I find it odd that the situation is reversed and that they want to discourage you from getting a variable rate, which would suggest that they see the rate going down in the future.
As for myself, I'm tempted to go fixed this time around given all the apparent craziness.

#19221 11 months ago

So what's the word on energy? The overweight people still overweight?
I'm holding a lot of it based on the discussions here and I haven't seen anything about it in a bit...

#19224 11 months ago
Quoted from kool1:

I agree and most analysts would agree on the upside of AI tech - but as an advisor it's always a valuation call. Amazon and Microsoft are very richly valued right now so it may not be the best entry point. I have owned Microsoft for years, just wouldn't add right now. I added to my Meta last year but I wouldn't add to that position right now either.

Energy is a longer term grind higher, you can overweight but don't go crazy with it. Make sure you are collecting some dividends and buy dips.

Yeah those big dividends really help to be relaxed with the ups and downs and with the long term play...

#19229 11 months ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

So what's the word on energy? The overweight people still overweight?
I'm holding a lot of it based on the discussions here and I haven't seen anything about it in a bit...

Well here's my short term answer anyway

4 weeks later
#19309 10 months ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Anyone else thinking about buying BUD after the big stock dip? If it drops to $45 it will be tie it's 3 year low, that would seem like a great buying opportunity, I'm sure it will bounce back long term.

Yep I was considering it... I generally buy these too early and sell too early as well though.

#19314 10 months ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

LOL - also owned by the same company as bud light
https://www.anheuser-busch.com/brands

Which is why I also think it's just a dip. People have a short attention span - not sure Bud Light will ever recover but they have so many more products...

#19318 10 months ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

I think alot of people did this, switch from one of their beers to another one, but that costs the company nothing. They are a big company with alot of brands, if one brand slumps, they will just invest the marketing money into another one. Bud Light has always been the big cheap beer at gay clubs and bars, maybe that's it's niche now and Natural Light becomes what people drink at sporting events, small town bars and buy cases of at the mini mart. Huge corporations know how to remarket their brands to keep sales up and history shows most of these boycotts are short-lived. Since I live in liberal city, no one cares about the boycott, but be have about 2 dozen breweries here and everyone drinks microbrews anyway.

I miss the Mac and Jack's :'(

#19323 10 months ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

It's on tap in every bar here! It's my reliable go to if all the rest of the beers are IPAs.

Yeah I know I lived over there for a few years. I'd stop here on my way back from work and have a nice cold one.

IMG_20230531_210107600_HDR~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20230531_210107600_HDR~2 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#19391 10 months ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

A one morning trend is great and all, but my remaining oil stocks have been treading water for months, where my tech stocks are up 15-18% in the same time period. Your experience may be different.

You have to factor in the large energy dividends though.

8 months later
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PhilGreg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders?tu=PhilGreg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.