gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
hawks.gif

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5101 Roth conversion advice. Posted by iceman44 (3 years ago)

Post #19981 How To Read US Debt Clock Posted by pinnyheadhead (5 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Isochronic_Frost.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4926 3 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Anytime you sell a fund with a gain, you pay tax, if that's what you mean. Same with individual stocks. However, some places will charge a fee for their services.. like Edward Jones. I pay a fee there for basically experts to manage my funds. So it's worth it imo.
IDK, not criticizing anyone. I used to do the individual stock thing via scottrade years ago, but if you really wanna invest, look into mutual funds and other products.

Buy and hold forever baby. I’ll worry about the costs when my taxes come in

1 week later
#5015 3 years ago

I’m still learning this stuff but how does IEP look? From my rudimentary research they seem like a good company that’s still bouncing back.

#5120 3 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Is the Roth IRA loophole still open? It was as of a few years ago. You could contribute the max to a standard IRA then convert it to a Roth, regardless of income amount. SO the idea was to have a standard IRA open with nothing but pennies in it, so you didn't have anything to keep track of for tax purposes. Contribute to it at the max, let it clear and leave it uninvested. Then convert to your Roth. Voila.
But I don't know if they ever closed that loophole.
EDIT: lol, didn't see that was what Ice was talking about above. Guess it is still open.

I’m really trying to understand this but having a hard time. Recommended reading for someone with very little savings who just started their 401k match for their employer? I’m in my 20s here and all I want to focus is on investing as much as humanly possible so I don’t end up a broke bastard in my 50s (like many of the men I’ve worked with)
One of my coworkers worked 20 years for a company, took all the money upfront, skipped any of the savings options and now he’s got absolutely nothing at 56. No savings, no safety net and a body that’s getting old.

I’ve worked with enough guys like this already and the experience really lit a fire. I don’t want to end up like that.

My best investments so far have been my pins. Prices are ridiculous now! It’s surprising how it’s changed since 4 years ago when I first got in.

1 week later
#5273 3 years ago

I’ve seen a lot of Macerich mentioned. As the company who owns my local mall and who handles the leases for my arcade, fuck those bastards.
They are such a sleazy company, and most their malls that I deal with in New York are dying. My local mall is for sale, and they’ve bleed nearly 40% of their remaining tenants while considering that they already had TWO EMPTY WINGS of stores that left PRE-covid.

Even Pyramid is adapting and redesigning their malls far outpacing Macerich. And from the talk coming out of their meetings with the top execs I have little faith in them at all. Every other large company has given fantastic rates and been very forgiving with rent.
Macerich told me “we could be very forgiving and that’s entirely our discretion so we’re NOT gonna do that and instead you have to be current and then if you’re not bankrupt by 2021 we might give you a 1/4 rate reduction!!”

What a joke. Not surprising their stock is doing terrible.

3 weeks later
#5406 3 years ago
Quoted from Barakawins1:

Got rid of Apple. Goldman Sachs values it at $80.00/share. It's a bloodbath.

Didn’t Warren Buffet sell off ALL of his Goldman Sachs? They’re worthless themselves. Apple will crush it and I feel bad for anyone who is cashing out.

I’m buying some cheap stocks today and riding it out.

Remember when the market crashed in March and everyone was in despair 6 months later that they didn’t buy all those cheap stocks? I picked up some great stocks and since then, no matter how badly they’ve dipped and rebounded, I’ve been in the money.
Take that as you wish

#5413 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

also buy Bitcoin cause maybe Biden

Lol buy bitcoin now? It’s 13.7k! A Biden win would begin the government regulation of bitcoin. The IRS already said it’s taxable, which is the entire opposite of the entire purpose of cryptocurrency.
If you can, get into ETH, the technology is groundbreaking and as smart contracts evolve the utility with become more worldly.

If Bitcoin is the “gold” of crypto, ETH would be the paper currency.

#5427 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Awaiting pins and fsly earnings tonight. Will likely dump tomorrow and hold cash until election week. Up 10% on Pins and fastly the last few weeks(in at 45). Down on fsly at 75 entry. Fingers crossed.

WOOOO!!!
YOU SEE THAT 13% PINS AFTER-HOUR TRADING?
Bought into PINS and Fastly yesterday
YEEHAW IMMEDIATELY 10% up

Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Anyone looking at PLUG? I only bought a little just recently but it is the only thing in my portfolio that’s green today. Thinking about adding to it. It’s a green play and should do well regardless of who takes the helm.

Plug is local, 30 minutes from me and I got some stock as a gift, and I saw it climb from like $9 2 months ago to $19 and now it’s at about 15? Definitely buy. It’s one of the leading hydrogen fuel cell companies

#5435 3 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

BTC entire purpose is to protect yourself & your wealth from an ever printing FED, causing inflation & melting away your capital & buying power.
That’s what people said when it went to: $1, $10, $100, $1,000, $10,000. You get the point. FYI it can’t be regulated, it’s decentralized, & way too big now! But, gains can & will be taxed once pulled from “cold storage” & placed into your checking account. As they should be.
ETH has a lot of problems, they keep delaying 2.0. Now Cardano/$ADA has a bright future & is basically a penny stock at $.10 a token.
Happy trading!

I’ve been HODLing ₿ (Bitcoin) for a long time, but I just caution people because, even though I believe it will be a long term winner, FOMOing in will probably screw you hard. The past week along its fluctuated over a thousand dollars up and down each day. If you invest at 13.9 this morning you lost almost $800 in less than 12 hours.
It’s a tough game to play. Also it inevitably ramps up and corrects harshly.
And being decentralized and allegedly regulation-proof, the entire point was to avoid arbitrary taxes and the like.

#5465 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Man you guys have some balls trading in this market... enjoy the rollercoaster.
The election is bound to be cluster and cause panic no matter who wins..

The people scared and waiting to play it safe are the exact investors we will be making huge returns off of in the future.

By all means, just wait it out. I’ve put a chunk of disposable income into it. I’d be sad if it disappeared but that’s why I’ve got bitcoin. Early this week as the stock market slide off a cliff bitcoin did the opposite and offset any loss.

#5482 3 years ago

Finally dipped out of my Boeing position while it was still green.
I had high hopes for the MAX to get recertified and that would blow out Boeing’s inventory problems, but I’m not about to take a loss.

I picked them up for dirt in April. Shoulda sold when I was up 200% instead of the measly dollars I made today.
If it dips back down to $80-90 again I’ll buy back in

#5490 3 years ago
Quoted from phalcon_2600:

What do you guys think of NIO?

Absolute trash and pure speculation

They’ve done absolutely nothing but options trading fueled speculation and sent their price soaring.
The only way a Chinese company is making GOOD electric cars is if their spies ripped off some quality shit from Tesla or GM.

1 week later
#5567 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

MAC might actually get back to its pricing from about 5 months ago.

Man, I’d stay away from them. Really, talking to the guys at my local mall, who constantly sit in with the national conference calls and such. They are NOT looking too hot. Even before the pandemic they were dropping. Their 5 year looks terrible. They may earn some money back but they’ve got a long long way to go.

#5582 3 years ago
Quoted from Barakawins1:

Anyone sticking with RKT and PLTR?

Glad a friend tipped me off on PLTR and thanks Pinside for RKT. They look good to me so I‘ll try to keep accumulating on dips.

Still pissed off about dipping on Boeing and immediately it shot up to 180. Just stupid. They’re not looking any better, senseless buying, makes me mad!

Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

My gold stocks are tanking. What's up with that?

Gold is old, buy bitcoin, while you still can.
Phil-Lee had the long winded way of saying what we all know: Gold/bitcoin is for the naysayers and the preppers. It’s the opposite of the stock market. Bitcoin skyrocketed over 2k with the Biden win because long term his plans don’t bode well for the market so it’s a “safe” place to park your money. If the lawsuits go anywhere the price will tumble.
You’ll notice when the market does well bitcoin slides, because people sell their coins to buy stocks.
Negative Volatility and uncertainty: buy gold and bitcoin.
Growth and bullish confidence: buy stocks.

#5625 3 years ago

Those of you banking on CCL and RCL, what do you make of this?
I think cruises are gonna be terrible for a while. Floating Petri dishes!
https://apple.news/AD_4B6lYlSSelupEkHIhXIA

#5721 3 years ago
Quoted from Bospins:

guys. what should i do with my bitcoins. +60% in the last month. holy cannoli.

HODL HODL HODL
WE GOING TO THE MOON BABY!

Quoted from RojerLockless:

As someone who had 100k in BTC and ETH and other cripto in 2017 right before the crash... I wish I would have cashed in. Who's to know what it will do... but I know I should have taken it and paid it on my house.

At lot of those FOMO buyers really screwed themselves when bitcoin crashed and their panic buying and selling CAUSED the crash. HODL until 6 digits. Good friend of mine convinced me to go into bitcoin back in 2012. Coulda been swimming in mad money at many different points. Bitcoin is cyclical and unironically will be worth millions in the next few years. Just like brands, it’s all about the name. There are new, better and more practical crypto’s out there now, but they are nothing till their name becomes as spooky and ethereal as bitcoin.

Anyway, HODL till you’re a billionaire. That friend of mine bought his at $12 a bitcoin. His wallet is worth about 264 million, and that was when I checked LAST MONTH.

#5723 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Isn't there some saying about only investing in things that hurt when dropped on your foot? I don't know how well that holds up in the 21st century, but I sleep better owning silver bars than a bunch of 1s and 0s on a computer somewhere.

Wrong.
Bitcoin is owned by you. It is not on “a computer”. The blockchain is basically a digital ledger of literally MILLIONS of computer all acknowledging the same transactions at the same time. You can buy your bitcoin, print out your wallet and digital key. Then they are protected, safely in “cold storage” offline, meaning if everything died and collapsed tomorrow, you’d still have your bitcoins and access to them.

#5746 3 years ago

Sure, I know a guy who invested in Amazon at 20 bucks a share pre splits.
What's that got to do with the price of tea in china?

And if you bought amazon even at 1k you’d be in the money by a lot. This is clown-talk. The price is rising and if you buy low sell high you make money.
I didn’t think this needed to be explained among traders... this your first time in the thread??

Quoted from loneacer:

Some of my co-workers bought in when BTC was $20k back in 2017 I think it was. They aren't too fond of crypto now.
But I have other co-workers that mined bitcoin when it was under $10/coin and they are millionaires now.

This is basically all the nay-sayers lol. Salty they bought it at the top like idiots. Their FOMO caused the fall. You buy the DIPS not the peaks!
“Waaah I didn’t buy bitcoin for $12 so now I think it’s shit”

Lol this is like those people who constantly shit on Apple yet it’s outperformed their entire portfolio year after year and they’re too proud to admit it.

#5778 3 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

My largest position is TTD. For fun I checked my current top holdings and thought I would share with everyone.
1. TTD
2. SE
3. NVDA
4. MELI
5. EPD
6. PLTR
7. PINS
8. SPG
9. ROKU
10. FB
And also love ARK ETFs. They list their trades at the end of the day for full open disclosure to show the Hedge fund managers what to buy.
Catherine Wood is so disruptive!

Quoted from DBLM:

I just checked mine and it is fairly boring. I have exited a variety of positions here recently so I am close to a core. Not bothering to list the mutuals, which are a fair amount.
1. AAPL
2. MSFT
3. AMZN
4. RKT
5. PLTR
6. LULU
7. MGM
8. AAL
Stocks that I have successfully traded this year included BA, CG, CNTY, COF, COMM, COST, DAL, DKNG, HAL, JPM, LCA, LVS, MCD, NFLX, OXY, REGN, ROKU, RKT, RTX, SBUX, SKYY, SLB, UAL, V, WORK, and ZM.

Thanks for your inputs guys!
I’ll post mine soon to get your opinions, I’m new to this, and I’d love to buy and sell, but I have very little disposable income to drop into this, so I’ve only a couple G in the bucket for my portfolio, I’m just buying and holding. I probably could make more money, but I’m happy with the growth of my positions without anything else.

Also love me some dividends. It’s like free money!

#5787 3 years ago
Quoted from vglohaus:

Long time lurker, first time posting on this topic. All the information you guys share is great. What is the best site/app to buy and sell stocks through? Beginner looking to pick up a few stocks to hold for months/years, definitely not day trading. Any help/advice is much appreciate. Thanks!

It depends on what you want to do and how you want to do it.
Robinhood is like the Apple version of investing. If you do your research and have outside tips and just want to buy and sell as simply as possible, I suggest Robinhood. It is so straightforward and has no bullshit.

My referral link, the referee and myself get a stock if you sign up
(https://join.robinhood.com/lonniel117)

I’ve actually gotten a few friends to sign up for it. I use this thread and then do research outside with all the different websites and such.

There’s webull, which is a Chinese company. I’m not very thrilled but I signed up to appease a coworker. It has a ton of info and if you pay a fee you can trade on the Asian, European and any other markets. It has an absolute butt-ton of data. It has benefits but the UI is extremely cluttered and confusing. I wouldn’t recommend it unless you’ve got time to sit at home and just screw with trading with a lot of your free time. I can share a referral link there too if anyone’s interested don’t wanna post them all and seem like I’m advertising lol

There’s also others like M1 finance with is like AI investing. You invest in “pools” and the AI shifts your money around for you to whatever it thinks is most profitable. It’s kinda cool, haven’t messed with it myself.

There’s Acorns which is basically a rewards-based investing app. If you shop at version or Apple all the time, 2% of your purchase is returned as a fractional share of stock. So basically the more you buy the more you will own. Interesting but I don’t buy enough stuff to find it useful, I’d just invest my money on my own.

Personally I use Robinhood since I’m on my phone constantly for Pinside, and I just buy and hold. If you really wanna buy and forget, you can setup one like Charles-Schwab or E-trade hop on the computer, buy some and then you barely even look at it for months till you wanna buy more.

Hope this helps!

#5855 3 years ago

Bitcoin +3.69% rose on reports that demand from Square (SQ) and PayPal (PYPL) was outpacing new supply.

A surprise to no one. You make money by taking chances when people are fearful. By the time bitcoin is a 6 digit price institutional currency, it’ll have been WAY too late.

The crypto guys who’ve been doing this for the past decade have been predicting it.
By the time everyone has “woken up” to crypto, there will only be .00023 Bitcoin (230,000 Satoshi, instead of cents) available for every person on the globe.

Hoard it now

#5881 3 years ago

Bitcoin just took a huge hit at 3am this morning. It happens to coincide with a particular persons lawsuit in 3 particularly important states and the hundreds of pieces of evidence submitted.

Someone seems to keep thinking it’s unrelated to the market, but Crypto will boom under Biden and will falter with Trump. The IRS tried sending out more tax letters to crypto traders yesterday which caused a slight sell off.

Point being watch closely, if the market reacts to this bombshell then that tells you it’s meaningful and has some consequences.

#5902 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Not me. Learned my lesson on Black Monday, 1987.

Margin trading is ridiculous imo. Just buy and hold. One bad day is all it takes to lose everything, x100 of course.

Any opinions on the new guy, QuantumScape? Looking to challenge Tesla’s battery tech.

#5917 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Got stopped out on PLTR during the blip today. These things happen. Not going to complain about a tremendous trade. Will probably revisit after the lockup period but for right now, my ride with them is over.
Please tell me somebody besides me and Ice are in on LULU.

What is up with the LULU calls? Such a limited apparel company is really worth such a monstrous share price??

#5924 3 years ago

Friend of mine advised me about ADMP, penny stock at 42¢ and they kinda look shitty. He’s telling me they’ve got some new overdose drug coming down the pipeline and it’s gonna be huge.
Any opinions on that?

#5930 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

LULU is another stock to start a position only if you are willing to buy more on pullbacks. Or simply wait for those pullbacks. Very expensive currently but I never worry about that considering growth prospects and margin expansion currently underway.
International growth is just beginning. It accounts for about 16% of overall sales and 37% growth year over year. China and Southeast Asia growing rapidly.
Mirror was purchased for $500 million and gives them some "consumer tech" which i really like. They should be able to pump up that $150 million in sales significantly over the coming years through their marketing channels.
By comparison, Peloton sales are $1.8 Billion. Why should you like them? RECURRING REVENUE STREAMS!
Speaking of Peloton? Here you go.
https://seekingalpha.com/news/3628399-peloton-apple-and-lululemon-dominate-in-evercore-survey-of-young-adults-teens
I have 3 girls in that category so i know, trust me!

Salesforce just committed to buying Slack. Too late to buy some WORK stock? Looks like the deal is also pulling down Salesforce’s stock price while rocketing Slack’s

#5964 3 years ago
Quoted from vex:

RIOT 52 week high today. Up 187% in one month and nobody talking about it here. Makes me even more bullish.

Why buy the company? Buy the crypto direct!

#6008 3 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

MAC is either setting up for a breakout of a 4 year(!) downtrend, or is like catching a falling knife. Pick your poison.
[quoted image]

Was just at my local mall today, even more stores pulling out. 2 of the anchor jewelry stores are leaving by the end of January. The mall is already bleeding, this next round of closing is gonna kill them.

I hate to speculate because it changes at the drop of a hat, but my cousin who works for the county DPW and mall management (MAC) said they’re preparing for a new set of severe lockdowns in New York, should start the 18th.

I know Ice keeps saying MAC but out of all the property companies they’re probably in one of the shittiest positions. Even Pyramid is doing better than them.

#6073 3 years ago

I was in a conversation the other day revolving around - next time when AMZN announces another solid earnings they also add in - a 15-1 stock split is coming in 4 weeks.
Why would they not do this? Am I missing something?

Is this speculation or real? They should split definitely.

#6090 3 years ago

Thank you, Fed...

Wish we’d just dump the Federal Reserve again. We did fine for over 100 years without it. Since they rechartered it back in the early part of the 1900s we’ve had more financial crashes and panics every decade than the US had for the entire century without any central reserve.

635EFB8F-FC20-4988-8F00-A86CDBD9136B.jpeg635EFB8F-FC20-4988-8F00-A86CDBD9136B.jpeg

Buy gold and crypto. Fiat is dead.

#6111 3 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Just some food for thought....From a recent Bloomberg article.
"While Federal Reserve stimulus may explain some of the frenzy, it’s hard not to also consider who rules public exchanges these days: the Robinhood posse," the financial news outlet said.
The convergence of no-commission trading and the pandemic has ushered in a new chapter in the history of stock trading.
“There seems to be an entire subculture of people that sort of follow the same things, talk to each other on social media and drive enthusiasm for individual issues. And sometimes it makes no fundamental sense to anybody,” Bloomberg quoted Art Hogan, chief market strategist at National Securities Corp., as saying.

Hey, that’s me! I’ve gotten probably about a dozen of my friends and colleagues to sign up to Robinhood (and gotten those sweet-ass free stocks) and we all talk about what we’re trading. Most of them are small time like me. 5k or less.
Then my favorite coworker with a lot of money and almost no sense! He opened some incredible positions like Pacific drilling at $5+ a share, or that drug-maker penny stock I mentioned earlier. Loses thousands and doesn’t listen to my awesome picks.

Outrageous! Iceman worked hard on that advice for me to repeat and appear very savvy!

#6145 3 years ago
Quoted from Bospins:

Also. Bitcoin. Holy cannoli.

Bitcoin never disappoints me! I kept telling folks, once it pops past the ATH, and hits 20k it’s off to the races. Expect sell-off from weak-willed and those with a feeble constitution. The HODLers and the bulls will charge this baby to double, maybe even triple!

For reference we’re consolidating at 23k, primed for another jump

#6188 3 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Problem with bitcoin is the eventual future of making it illegal in some countries and/or govt regulation. If you think it won't happen - you are wrong. The govt always gets a piece of the action and once central bank cyber money goes global this will be competition they won't put up with. Not saying this will happen near term. Just saying it will happen.

I welcome it. The entire point is to defeat centralized currency and big banks.

If those globalist idiots actually try making a centralized currency, Facebook-style, then we will all enjoy watching as hackers constantly take that currency offline and erode any possible utility.

Example for bitcoin’s superiority being that some cheeky buggers just DDoS’d Bitcoin.org and took it offline, but bitcoin is unaffected because it’s not a place or a physical asset. Bitcoin is a massive digital ledger being run all across the globe and you’d have to wipeout global infrastructure to kill it.

Feds can pretend to regulate it and it will only empower bitcoin.

#6203 3 years ago
Quoted from athenspin:

Will do, thanks

He missed a perfectly good opportunity to plug his Coinbase and get $10 worth of free bitcoin
Coinbase.com/join/llinen

#6222 3 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

He missed a perfectly good opportunity to plug his Coinbase and get $10 worth of free bitcoin
Coinbase.com/join/llinen

Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Do you want any free crypto? I'm part of the Coinbase Earn and have referral links I can send for a few different coins. You have to watch the 2 - 3 minute coinbase video about the currency, but then they deposit it right into your wallet.
PM me if you are interested in the links. It's 100% legit and right through the coinbase website.

I think you missed my suggestions, haha. Already beat you to the referral link.

Also a word to the wise, don’t bother with those other shitty altcoins. I’d say a majority of them of pump-and-dump scams. They skyrocket and then get ignored and dump to nothing.

Just focus on the stables, ETH is super strong 2.0 is rolling out with Smart contracts, it will be the future of digital currency., and ₿ Bitcoin. XRP/tether are so dumb.

#6237 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Also bought OTGL.Y. CD Projekt. Poland gaming company. Here is Motley Fool summary
"The Warsaw, Poland-based gaming company’s shares have reacted predictably to this kind of terrible newsflow, falling by nearly 50% from their peak in November. Cyberpunk 2077, which CD Projekt Red has been developing for the better part of a decade, is a public relations disaster for the company. They put out a game that is buggy, and simply too ambitious, particularly on console platforms there it is simply too much for the hardware to handle.
Cyberpunk 2077, I predict, will also be one of the most important games in the industry, and will be that way for decades. You know that old saying “buy on the cannons, sell on the trumpets?” Well, the cannons are blasting away.
Here’s why I believe that this is a blip -- yes, yes, of course the company completely blew it with its release. But read a review or two from people who are playing it either on PCs or in the cloud and you will see some form of what gaming legend Seth Schiesel wrote at Protocol: “The depth of detail, narrative maturity and sheet scale...make it one of the most engaging games I have ever played. Visually I have never seen a game as beautiful as Cyberpunk.”
Here is what I predict will happen: the optimized versions for the new PlayStation 5 and XBoxes isn’t due to come out until 2021. In the meantime those playing on PC will serve as a massive hype machine for the game. The headline of today will be forgotten. As will the current share price.
How big is this game? Let’s talk scale.
In 2011, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2, the final installment of the massive Harry Potter film series, hit theaters. It was a cultural phenomenon. By the end of its first weekend, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 had generated $483 million in sales. To date, it is the sixth-largest-grossing movie opening of all time.
I mention this because Cyberpunk 2077 also had $480 million in preorders before it was released earlier this month on more than 8 million units sold. It’s the biggest video game launch of all time. It too is a cultural phenomenon. On Dec. 9, there were more than 1 million concurrent viewers of the gameplay on Twitch; on the morning of Dec. 10, more than 1 million people were playing it on Steam concurrently.
If the terms “Twitch” and “Steam” are not fully familiar to you, you are not alone. The growth in video gaming as what sociologist Ray Oldenburg calls a “third place” — a place where communities form that is neither home nor work — has been happening amongst the younger generations for years, but the speed at which video games have become a cultural meeting point in a time when people have been forced to be physically isolated has been breathtaking. It’s one of those things that was already happening, has been turbocharged by COVID-19, and is unlikely to reverse once the world opens back up.
In our portfolio, we have talked about the systematic, disciplined investor in gaming, Stillfront (OM: SF). CD Projekt is Stillfront's wild first cousin. Stillfront commutes to work by bike and likes a good espresso. CD Projekt has face tattoos and practices medieval sword fighting as a hobby.
CD Projekt is made up of two segments, CD Projekt Red and GOG.com, both of which are video game developers. The company's title portfolio includes massive hits like The Witcher, Thronebreaker, and, perhaps most importantly to the present moment, a brand-new, highly awaited AAA game called Cyberpunk 2077.
The two founders, Marcin Iwiński and Michał Kiciński, met in high school in Poland and shared a passion for video games. Like many gamers at the time, they sought out new games, which could be found in the computer bazaars in Warsaw. In 1994, they formed a business, CDP.pl, to import new CD-ROM software releases from overseas. It might seem somewhat unbelievable today, but their competitive advantage at the time was that they produced Polish-language boxes and manuals for the games. Even though the company (and, let's face it, the industry) has long abandoned CDs as a gaming medium, the brand awareness the company had built up locally convinced the founders to retain the name.
CD Projekt began producing games in 1999, starting with a Polish-language version of Baldur's Gate, which was owned by Interplay. Again, while this might seem bizarre today, the competitive market was made up at the time almost entirely of pirated games. Iwiński and Kiciński were essentially betting that the market would be willing to pay up for a locally produced, locally relevant game. Baldur's Gate went on to sell in excess of 100,000 copies, a wild success given the relative immaturity of the Polish market at the time.
The company followed up by forming a full-fledged studio, culminating in its release of The Witcher. In 2012, this title was re-released, garnering more than 100 international awards. In 2008, CD Projekt formed a digital distribution service, Good Old Games, which became GOG.com.
The two arms of the company have different mandates.
GOG.com publishes older games without any digital rights management, allowing consumers the ability to install the game as many times as they want. They tend to release the back catalogue of games from other developers, including ones from Ubisoft (OTC: UBSFF).
CD Projekt Red, on the other hand, is a game studio, producing high-budget titles. The studio has a reputation for high-quality games, winning the Developer of the Year award at the Game Awards in 2015. Starting in 2017, CD Project Red began talking about a massive new game it had in development, a high-budget title called Cyberpunk 2077, based upon a terrifically popular series of tabletop games first released in the 1980s.
Cyberpunk 2077 was originally supposed to be released in April 2020. It then got pushed back to November, finally being released on December 10. Reviews for this game are all over the map, with reviewer Rick Lane calling it "the best and worst game CD Projekt has made."
Certain glitches have caused CD Projekt to apologize and promise to fix the game and to offer refunds. Meanwhile, three things are happening:
The buzz around the game is incessant, including a tweetstorm by Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA) CEO and ardent video gamer Elon Musk;
CD Projekt Red is quickly rolling out patches;
The company's stock has tanked, dropping some 30%.
I'm giving a lot of this detail to show the reality of studios that produce AAA games (an informal rating that means these take a high budget to develop): There is a great deal of focus placed on the newest title, and the market can and will overreact to the performance of that title, even in the short term. Unlike with movies, development of games can continue even after they have been released (essentially building the car while driving it). While there is no guarantee that CD Projekt will successfully make the adjustments to Cyberpunk 2077, it still has a Metacritic rating of 89, which shows just how high expectations were. This game is a massive winner, and I believe that it will not only overcome the challenges wrought by its sheer ambitiousness, it will leave a massive global community thirsty for more."

Compare Cyberpunk 2077 to No Man’s Sky, the infamous flop that was in development hell for about 5 years and launched in 2016 and still gets updates and patches.
The game was overhyped to death and was touted as a revolutionary, state-of-the-art everything but the kitchen sink level game.
I cannot even begin to describe the level of hype and obsession that surrounded this game. In the end they rushed the release because people began thinking that it was a scam that would never get released (think Big Bang Bar remake) so when they released it they cut multiplayer and 90% of the features people had been freaking out over, so they got a broken, buggy mess of a game.
The founder had to briefly go into hiding due to death threats and vandalism of his house. It was BAD.

That’s just a tiny summary, but the scandal of No Man’s Sky has basically been forgotten. Hello Games has updated it and made the game incredible. It was hammered by refunds and after 1 week went from millions to only 50 players or so. It was a shock they even stayed afloat.

That should have been a lesson to CD Projekt Red but they forgot I guess. 8 years of development is ridiculous but never rush a half-baked game because it will always be a worse shitshow.

A good example of how to handle it would be Apple or Valve (creators and owners of the Steam platform and marketplace) Valve hadn’t released a game in years. Gabe Newell is the founder of the company, a guy who left Microsoft when Bill Gates told him that video games on the computer was a waste of time and wouldn’t make any money. Gabe has stated that they work on games in secret and they allow teams to take as long as they want with zero deadlines. They had the extremely highly anticipated Half-Life 3 completed and fully finished on more than 2 occasions and scrapped the games before the announcement because they weren’t happy with the “vision” or story. Half-Life and Half-Life 2 are considered the great computer games of all time and the last Half-Life game came out in 2008.

They released Half-Life: Alyx out of NOWHERE for their newest VR game system, the Valve Index. It’s again considered a cornerstone game of VR. It undoubtably will shape the future of VR games for a long time. It also helped adoption of VR systems which has been incredibly slow compared to other hardware.

Anyway, that long book was just to frame the failures of Cyberpunk and distinguish the differences. Hype is the worst thing possible in all industries like this. Pinball suffers from it but it metaphorically kills video games. People dismiss titles on hearsay alone.

Overall I think the PC crowd and the incredible level of that game will probably save it. It will also kill consoles further. Everyone knows that a good PC can play anything but consoles will continue to struggle with the resource heavy demands of new games.

In short, Iceman is right, I’ve been a gamer since I was 8, and I grew up with all of this stuff. CD Projekt Red was a household name for me years before Cyberpunk. I realize most guys on this thread and in the stock market probably think of this all as total Greek!
No publicity is bad publicity, a famous saying by a legendary person, and in the long term this will all workout in favor of CD Projekt Red. Instead of being a blip on the radar like most popular games, this will keep them in the news for months!

#6246 3 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Bitcoin is crashing -- upward. It just passed $28,000 and shows no signs of stopping.

Quoted from athenspin:

Speaking of stores of value, it would be interesting to hear everyone’s take on bitcoin??? Lastly Icemans record has been pretty darn stellar, I’ve personally seen plenty of nice gains from this thread!!!

Been telling people to buy bitcoin since 2014 and I regret everyday that I didn’t sell everything I own and buy even more. Personally I will never sell, HODL forever.
Bitcoin has gone up about 1k every single day for nearly a week. Predicted it somewhere, once it passed the 20k the mental hurdle was removed and it was gonna skyrocket, personally I suggest we’ll see double possibly triple into January. And A month or so after we will a sell off and hard consolidation. Just my opinion of it.
End of 2021 probably a 6 digit coin probably more.

Quoted from iceman44:

Lol. And then I finally gave up on that strategy 2 yrs ago. Tesla has been in my aggressive growth portfolio since. Not me personally but for my clients
Elon Musk was on crack during that time frame doing those conf calls and getting in trouble for statements made. Still might be but he’s a genius.
I understand the business model better and it’s NOT about selling widgets long term
Gotta be able to adjust and can’t win em all
While you are looking back, take a look at all those huge winners!!! Been a phenomenal ride

Musk has been a genius. Tesla is just his baby to funnel talent and technological advancements into SpaceX on governments’ dime. As a person he’s pretty kooky, a bit of an anti-hero personality but that’s why people love him. The haters only appeared AFTER he was wildly successful. 2006-2010 was when he really had to make or break, his company didn’t have shit and they didn’t even have any prototype rockets. Same for Tesla really, he came in when he had invested MOST of his net worth into the company to be CEO and hadn’t much to show for it. Once he was a household name he already had most of that behind him.

#6316 3 years ago

BITCOIN KEEPS CRUSHING IT!
New all-time high $29,321.90!
Now the 11th most valuable asset on the planet by market cap. Only 5 billion away from surpassing Berkshire Hathaway and ranking the Top 10.

As I’ve been saying, I’m fairly confident in my mid January statement, we’ll see 40k at least before the ass falls out on this one. It’s going to be a bloodbath as it just roars past everything.

Be prepared. HODLing hard here ready to buy buy buy when the big drop happens.

Should we start a Crypto traders thread?

#6318 3 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

Please do and take your crypto non-sense with ya! But congratulations if you are making monies on it.

I just like to point out this silly little nay-sayer from 43 days ago

As someone who had 100k in BTC and ETH and other cripto in 2017 right before the crash... I wish I would have cashed in. Who's to know what it will do... but I know I should have taken it and paid it on my house.

I did the math (had to made some educated guesses) and he should be sitting on an extra 48k now just a little over a month after he shat all over bitcoin lol.

When he posted on November 18th his bitcoin holdings were worth about $88,968.
Now at this moment 43 days later his bitcoin holdings should be equal to $144,970.

Find me another asset that can do that please.
“Total nonsense” because the stock market and fiat make perfect sense

#6326 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

You really can’t compare a currency vs a company...

Someone else listed Assetdash earlier lol they compare all assets with all companies, so you tell me!

Quoted from Friengineer:

It's not an asset though. It has no value intrinsically. A stock has value when it's based on a solid company that produces goods for a profit. You are trading a currency. So currency trading, not stock trading.

First part: fiat doesn’t have any value other than what the government tells you it’s worth. The buying power of a dollar since 1969 has dropped to almost nothing. A $100 bill in 1913 would only be worth about $3.87 today. Fiat has eroded into nothingness. Stock has value but still, it’s measured in fiat. All the biggest guys could get rocked by government lawsuits an anti-trust regulations and your “value” would be turned to dust pretty fast. Google, Amazon, Facebook, Microsoft (already hit once) and Apple have drawn increasing scrutiny, yet their prices keep flying.

Quoted from Friengineer:

Here's a question for the bitcoiners. What's the value on bitcoin when the Chinese government creates it's own virtual currency - already happening and the USA is forced to follow suit?
If I had $25000 would I buy one bitcoin or 5 great company stocks? Easy answer.

This is just plain ignorance speaking. What’s the value of most Chinese knockoffs?
There are hundreds of Chinese companies solely operating off stolen IP and disregarded trademarks and secrets that steal American ideas (as well as other counties) they don’t eclipse the companies they steal from because they produce utter garbage. No innovation, just outright copycatting doesn’t add value.

Bitcoin is decentralized currency, pay attention and don’t be a stick in the mud. The digital yuan is a laughing stock in the tech sector and only extremely dumb analysts are suggestion it’s even worthwhile. The digital yuan is going to be a centralized currency maintained by the CCP and thus extremely susceptible to cyber attacks and outtages. Many of these “centralized” digital currencies are like taking all the good concepts in technology and throwing them in the trash. One main ledger and one point of failure is the dumbest shit on the planet, even if they create a wannabe blockchain it will still be overseen by the CCP ledger so it will be pointless.

If you read into the bitcoin white paper and analysis of Satoshi’s code, you’d know that the person or people who wrote it created some of the best code ever written. It is so perfect and flawless it is nearly impossible to be done by one person. The minimal updates we have seen attests to thats, only 1 actual issue ever came up and most never even heard about it. Many coins after it have been plagued with issues, ETH is CONSTANTLY being updated and while that’s a good thing that introduces many possible issues as well.

When a government decides to try and emulate private enterprise they usually do an abysmal job of it so if you all really believe the CCP and the United States Government are gonna be able to make these amazing, failure proof digital coins, I will enjoy watching from the sidelines.
Maybe they’ll be just as robust as the postal service!

Quoted from Zablon:

With the governments trying to step in and stop the main reasons for the bitcoin bullishness at every turn, I still don't understand why anyone would be routing for the currency rather than the tech behind it. All it is is speculation, and you can use the 'dollar has nothing backing it either' argument, except it has history behind it. I can't imagine anyone getting into it at 25k+ and thinking it's going to go to 100k on nothing other than hopes and dreams. (but...again, what do I know).

The dollar doesn’t have history anymore. Gold and silver-backed money was worth something.
Did you skip my post about how you guys said that about 45 days ago and since then it’s not only smashed it’s previous all time high but gone on to be worth another 10 grand more? I mean how many times can you be proven wrong and still say “nah not worth it” if you stop paying attention to Cramer-esque hacks then you’ll see plenty of respectable people actively advising on the bitcoin environment and what’s causing many highs and lows.

#6356 3 years ago

I’ve been holding on since 2017. Some of my coins are up over 1,300%. My only regret is that I didn’t put more into it.
I thought about selling about half of what I have, but I just think we are at the beginning of a huge run up.
There are transactions from 2 weeks ago that have doubled in value. It’s just getting a little crazy.

What other altcoins have you dabbled in? I’m not a fan of most of them, but always interested to hear what people also find success in.

#6484 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

PSTH has unlimited potential depending on the company they target. Announcement should be soon.
If it's a Fintech company like Stripe, theres no saying what it will be after announcement (some people say $45, others say $75+) and over time, $250+ if it's Stripe in the next 1-2 yrs.

Feeling sad I just learned about all these “blank check” merger companies. I was following BMTX before they acquired BankMobile when they were Megalith but I was a novice and didn’t understand what these companies did. I’m sure whatever PSTH acquires is gonna be good. Isn’t Stripe the payment processor that Robin uses for Pinside?

#6506 3 years ago
Quoted from tommyp:

Be careful with Crypto. I got into ETH like 3 yrs ago. Bought..enough. The year it rocketed..similar to this. Was up to about 1100 / 1200 a coin. Then it started to slip. "Oh it wont go under 1000, it's just a correction". Then ..it kept dipping. Long story short - i sold it for a 1500 loss after holding it for 2 yrs because i wanted to get into a vaccine stock (thank god - made a killing and got more than my money back). I work in IT. Yes - it's a borderless/countryless, non tied, inflation proof (in theory - however it does seem to move with precious metals counter to the market I've noticed over the years) currency. But - it moves literally based on nothing. Supply demand a bit, some people with enough to manipulate the price. Easy to make money, but no indicators when you'll make it, or more importantly when you'll lose it. If it were me at this point..I'd day/week trade the shit outta it. Its foolish IMO to long hold crypto.

Bitcoin has dropped like a rock, about 8k in a day or so.

I’d just to remind bitcoin holders that if you wanna take your profits now that’s fine. However if you’ve bought in high and are now “losing money” you should hold on. You haven’t lost it till you’ve sold it. And as we’ve now learned for a 3rd time. It only takes about 2 to 3 years for bitcoin to have a parabolic breakout where you will make ridiculous ROI.

Waiting this to dip to hit bottom, and buying down there. Probably a temp bottom, my target is 15-20k and I don’t think this has the same drop potential right now.

#6610 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It’s NOT just about the gains fellas, it’s about the GAMEPLAN for life. The integration of legal, tax and financial planning.
I enjoy things like helping an ER doctor get retired today after his HUGE gains this past yr
He’s 56. Would you like to meet him? I thrive on helping people
I hope you guys succeed but when people like KPG here says things like “unlimited potential” I’m going to help provide both the pros and cons.
Now, if Pinsiders don’t give a F, I won’t waste my time!

Just a side note, I have a list of stocks Iceman has recommended and lists recommended by “Pinside” general sorted by dates of recommendation. Let me tell you one of those lists looks stellar and the other is mostly crossed fingers and throwing darts blindly hoping some stick!

There are a few other solid guys too, so thanks for this thread, you guys are awesome and I greatly appreciate your recommendations and insights, Iceman!

#6611 3 years ago
Quoted from spikelou2:

While trading is fun it’s not investing ..odds are against you very few professionals do it successfully and even fewer do it constantly.: bet with your head not over it. At least at the casino they give you free drinks and a Buffett

I was JUST at the casino for the first time ever and they did NOT have free drinks. Wtf?!

I had many friends hitting me up about Signal. Shit is old, use Telegram. Much better app. Hilarious the old news is suddenly is great epiphany.
Pro tip: stop using Gmail, it literally says in the terms of service all your emails are owned by and proper of Google. Use ProtonMail. 100% better and experience PRIVATE emails.

Quoted from ovfdfireman:

I always struggle with the statements blaming schools systems for not teaching our kids money management, proper eating, ethical behavior. The schools are here to give general education (English, math, science). Parents need to take some responsibility and teach their kids as well. Money can be private, and teaching you kids how to manage money is important for the long term security and happiness. I am proud of what I have taught my kids, Both my kids took accounting in high school and said it was very basic. I don’t want the school teaching my kids money management, just how to count it. I suppose if money management was so easy we would all be rich!
Parents are ultimately responsible for teaching life skills, schools are general education IMO, higher education then comes at the college level.

And what about those of us without parents? F@#k us, I guess?

#6636 3 years ago

Wow, I did NOT expect PLUG to continue blowing up like this. I intended to buy more but I have no clue when this ridiculous upshot will end? It seems purely speculative on this small company...

#6842 3 years ago

BLUF: A specific event on which to short TESLA 5-10%... if you have balls of steel and money to lose.
All right, since this is the Stock Investors thread, I’m going to give my highly speculative theory on what will go up and what will go down… something so speculative I’m not pursuing it myself at this moment as I don’t mess with options. I think TSLA is going to have a sharp decline sometime in the next 3 months, but there will be a major flag that it is about to tank. Now, when I say sharp decline, I don’t mean coming back to earth, but a decline of 5%-10% off of the announcement of supposedly positive news that would occur within 24-72 hours of a specific announcement and event most likely to happen the end of March.
There are a lot more retail investors than usual right now… investors new to day trading playing fast and loose with their trades since the market crashed in March. People a lot like me. These “Robbin Hood” investors, tend to chase gains and jump from “Shiney” to “Shiney”. Right now, the shiniest thing out there is TESLA, and their stock has been going gangbusters this year. I jumped in and out of it a few times this year myself. These investors also tend to be the type that don’t keep “dry powder” for market opportunities… all available cash is invested with no reserves. A lot of the TESLA enthusiasts… most actually, are big fans of Elon Musk. In Elon Musk we trust is an actual phrase I’ve read a few times. I think Elon Musk is going to do something in the next 90 days that is going to draw a lot of money out of TESLA… tons of money to be frank… something I will get to in a second.
Another person a lot of retail investors have come to put a lot of faith in is Cathy Wood. Cathy wood, is the brains behind the “ARK invest” series of ETF funds. Day before yesterday her company filed to open up a ARKX ETF, a space based technologies ETF. On this news, ALL of the space stocks jumped 15-25% overnight through yesterday on the news. This based solely on the news an ETF was going to open up. As I understand it, the ARKX ETF cannot “go public” until 75 days after filing, which would put the ETF as opening up the end of March.
Now, would the opening of an ARKX ETF fund crash TSLA? Of course not. However, why would Cathy Wood open up a Space based ETF when there are only a few companies even in the commercial space business? I believe Cathy Wood knows something… I believe Cathy Wood believes, or has inside knowledge that SPACEX is going to go public. SPACE-X is Elon Musk’s space transport company. If you think people are blindly throwing money at TSLA, they will blindly throw money at SPACEX too. I have family members better off than me already researching how to get in on the IPO. If the past year has taught me anything, its that speculative stocks, like AI, ABNB, anything trendy, pop right after the IPO. A lot of these stocks IPO’d and then immediately tripled in price once they hit the open market. SPACEX is the trendiest of trendy, the shiniest of shiny, maybe even shinier than TESLA. I believe there are tons of investors, retail and institutional that would do anything to get in on the IPO, or on the first trading day of a SPACEX stock. The people interested in SPACEX would be the EXACT SAME people interested in TESLA. Since my argument is that a disproportionate amount of TSLA investors are retail investors, the exact type without “dry powder for additional purchases” I believe the TSLA stock will be hit by the SPACEX announcement. People will simply sell TESLA stock to buy, or be ready to buy SPACEX.
Now, do I think it’s going to bring TESLA back to earth? No. Do I think the announcement of a SPACEX IPO would cause the TESLA stock to drop in the days leading up to the SPACEX IPO… absolutely.
With all that said 2020 is paved with the graves of investors who shorted TESLA. I just believe that the announcement of a SPACEX IPO will lead to a 5-10% drop in TSLA stock in the 72 hours leading up to that IPO.

I had a long-winded response to this but instead I’ll give you this:
No. You’re smoking crack with Hunter if you think Musk will give up his baby to the public. He will take SpaceX where HE wants to go and the way HE wants to do it.

He made his millions by founding the company that would become PayPal and Zip2 selling them, then he made his true pride, SpaceX in 2002. Everything else is a fun little side-project. He will make yet another peripheral company to let the public get hands near space but insulate his precious.

He was berated and laughed at for over a decade before SpaceX had a functioning prototype. Investors would kill the vision immediately lol.

#6858 3 years ago
Quoted from freegame450:

Wondering how others on this thread feel about how unrest in other parts of the world may impact our stock markets?
I was not aware of the following until today:
-Dutch government (or a portion of it) to resign over child welfare scandal
-Italian government on verge of collapse during Covid related recession
-Germany’s Angela Merkel stepping down later this year (I am not really clear why)
-Iran and N Korea getting provocative with missile hoopla
Sorry to be putting more political stuff on this very helpful thread, but events at home and abroad are becoming pretty concerning to me. Stocks have been a good ride this past year.
Hoping that iceman44 will also share a few thoughts.

Isn’t Italy and half of the EU always on the bring of bankruptcy? That’s why Brexit happened. Horrible money management in the EU, nothing new... *yawn*

Quoted from Lamberger:

Just keeping my eyes open to everything that is happening right now in the world.. A knew strain of Covid can change everything. Troubling times for sure. Gonna sit this out for awhile. Gamble with 10%. And watching this thread immensely.

Actual scientists and real professionals have been tracking 100+ mutations of COVID-19 since May. It is such an obvious fear tactic to bring it up now like some new boogieman as if nobody has been paying attention for the past year. https://web.archive.org/web/20210114080431/https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/07/health/coronavirus-mutations-analysis/index.html

Remember, do your own due-diligence!

Quoted from Baiter:

Pick your poison. Within the framework of a balanced budget, lowered corporate taxes implies an increase in individual income taxes. If nothing else, the past 50 years has proven that trickle down economics doesn't actually work. There does need to be some effort put into incentivizing businesses to keep jobs and money in the U.S... that has not gone well for decades for many reasons, particularly manufacturing and offshoring of other professional jobs.
Thing to consider now is that in 2021 everyone will get a chance to be vaccinated, which means more people will be a little more free to get out, increasing oil demand, to spend at restaurants, to take vacations, all of which will give a boost to GDP. We still have to ask ourselves is why something like DIS today is 25% higher than pre-covid levels with major portions of its business shuttered, or why TSLA trading at prices reflecting perfection years into the future? The market will correct some of that, but if that correlates with a minor economic boom as things start opening up, then there may not be much of a correction in the 2020 boom stocks, but the 2020 bust stocks could finally get a chance to catch up. It could be a good year all around.

Manufacturing has proven to be very easy to bring back to the US. Those jobs aren’t “dead” when they’re competing with literal slave labor in a certain large country it’s difficult to succeed...
when we defend human rights and place sanctions and large tariffs on those countries that use slave-labor then manufacturing here in the good ol’ USA booms.

When you force companies to rely on genuine paid-labor then it doesn’t make sense to do it overseas because after all the costs involved it’s cheaper to pay people in the US and not have to worry about international logistics.

I think this shutdown has reminded people that if our current biggest manufacturer shuts downs then WE shut down. So that’s why we’ve seen a huge growth in US jobs. It will probably stay that way for a few years since people don’t easily forget supply shortages like that.

Even many large companies like Apple are still proceeding with moving factories to places like Taiwan and Mexico just as a safeguard to bolster their material supply-chains. I believe in American manufacturing and am investing accordingly.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/princeghosh/2020/09/18/the-exodus-of-chinese-manufacturing-shutting-down-the-worlds-factory/

#6867 3 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

Not shorting, but I am holding onto about 25% liquid right now in my investment account (I normally hold 0-5%) and waiting and watching to buy when it seems right. I'm looking at BXMT, WOOF, CCL, AAL; and increasing my position in WMT. I would like this to be my best year yet but 47% return last year is going to be hard to beat.

I’m at 164% return right now thanks Odin!

#6879 3 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Man that would be a vile area if there were bag holders left on a regular basis. But you are right, there isn’t a great way for them to all get out safely.

I’m pretty sure that’s how it works. Most of r/wallstreetbets is just hyping garbage and dumping it

#6928 3 years ago

For those who keep asking “when do I sell” my plan is hold for 5-10 years, and then hold even longer. Buy stocks that will stick around for a long time. Buying oil and energy stocks, infrastructure and other stuff I believe in.

Most electric generators run off diesel. Electric trains, power plants? That stuff is powered by gas and oil

“Green energy” is such a dumb joke. It’s mostly feel good nonsense. Nuclear is the only true green fuel in the future anyway.
Solar panels are extremely toxic and only have a lifespan of 20-30 years. Windmills are also full of hazardous materials and barely produce any meaningful energy to offset their carbon footprint. Basically all that leaves is hydroelectric and nuclear.

Hydrogen baby!

#6992 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I seriously kept considering jumping in BTC when it hit 30-31, but couldn't convince myself to pull the trigger. We all know it will go back up, eventually...the question is how far will it fall before it does.

Still money to be made. Government will try to regulate bitcoin but it’s impossible. If you’re smart you’ll learn how to interact directly on the chain without these exchanges that love giving the government all your information.

If it’s not considered currency by our government and it’s not a security in their eyes then why do they think they can get a cut? If you’re gonna have your cake and eat it then you have to admit it’s a currency and the price will go sky high.

Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

I have been buying Ethereum. Added $1500.00 today when it was down 15%. It goes up, it goes down, but trending up still. Could not sit on the sidelines anymore.

As ETH 2.0 starts getting recognized by the masses and people wake up to the incredible utility of Smart Contracts we will see an explosive growth of ETH.
Very excited for it!

Side note, I really had a good laugh at getting called a boomer. I am almost guaranteed to be 2 decades their junior.
I’m here because I wanna have good investments for later in life, and because I love pinball.
Those seem to go well together!

#7038 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

This is something I've been wondering about. It's supposed to be anonymous, untraceable blah blah, yet the exchanges have all that info and can be taxed when you convert. Are you saying there are other ways to acquire it without mining or being paid in it? Seems that regardless, if you try to cash out to normal currency you are tracked.

Mining is anonymous and you can to direct exchanges and person-to-person sales. That’s the idea. If you use it as a currency. It’s often used for illicit things but it’s also used for people who realize the US dollar is dead and we dance on its corpse.

It’s very hard to use it outside the exchanges but effectively with the public and private keys you have everything you need. Post your public key and people can send coins to it or request money from you. Lots of possibilities! It sounds way more complicated than it really is.

And like people said in the thread “it’s worthless pseudo-currency” so if it’s not real then there’s nothing wrong with hiding your fortunes in bitcoin like all the billionaires are doing right now!

#7040 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

For the answer on where I get info on short interest, etc, the answer is more complex than WSB. A lot of those guys are posting memes and the like. The vast majority are getting lucky vs knowing what they are doing. I do get some ideas there and do my diligence. Then, I consult with my financial guy. We talked 6 times today as GME erupted. He convinced me to sell at 51 and 62, and I made the call to exit.
As for AMC in particular, here is the short interest vs the float. I think the combination of those factors and the mob at WSB seeing what happened with GME could make this interesting.[quoted image]

What is this translated to pinball speak?

#7075 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Ok, so I am not Iceman, but I did bring PLTR, RKT, C3.AI, Lancadia, and a few others to this party. My professional life revolves around selling very complex analytics and data fabric solutions to the largest entities in the US. This area is going to be huge under the Biden administration. You will have UIpath IPOing this first quarter and Databricks (alledgedly) IPOing this year. I would add those to your lists.
Happy hunting!

So I can blame you for RKT being one of my only losers? That stock has just waffled ever since I bought in! RKT seems to have little to no future potential

Every time we go to the movies (about 3 times a year) I get reminded why we only go 3 times a year

What?! I went the second New York theaters reopened! I’ve been 3 times since last month. Movie theaters are awesome. Home theaters suck. I’ve been to friends with incredible ones. Huge 10 foot projectors and theater seating and a surround system. Lame. It’s a bigass room in your house that’s wasted for maybe 3 hours of use twice a month?

Nope. Could be a gameroom, or an office, or a workshop with actual utility. Home theaters are always inferior to movie theaters and as such why bother chasing that when you can get the membership and spend like $5 to get an exponentially better experience.

Side note: NatGeo said what I predicted back in April 2020 “covid isn’t going away. We have to live with it now” same with mutations that have been known about since May. https://api.nationalgeographic.com/distribution/public/amp/science/2021/01/covid-19-will-likely-be-with-us-forever-heres-how-well-live-with-it

But they say the flu is now extinct even though that was supposedly never going to be beaten.
If you really choose to believe this kind of media doomer drivel even though it was known about A YEAR AGO. Then I wouldn’t recommend being in stocks either.

#7079 3 years ago

No blame yourself. No one will give any stock picks to a group of mostly strangers here if they will get messaged back “hey thanks a lot of that loser pick!” later on.
But on the flip side if you bought a winner that was mentioned here give yourself credit. It’s all on us of what we click and buy or sell.

Quoted from DBLM:

I made tons of money when I bought at 18 and sold in the 30’s. If you are going to ride with me you have to be fast and keep on top of things. Did you do your diligence?
Some free but direct advice. You strike me as being a guy that does not know much about the markets but wants to come off as a player. You have a Robinhood mentality with all of your hodl memes and frankly some dodgy opinions on equity markets. I get that you love crypto. I would recommend that you go and learn more about the equity markets or stay with something you are more familiar with, like crypto.

I don’t care either way and was just joking since Iceman was the first person in this thread to mention PLTR. Then you chimed in trying to say you alerted us to the “winners” so I joked since when you recommended RKT it was at $21 and it’s stayed in a $2 range.
RKT was in the 30s only 2 days in September a month after the IPO and has been relatively flat since. You recommended it once at IPO and then 2 months later in the $26+ range so keep blowing smoke, I guess. Lotta big talk but failure to own up to any bad calls. I didn’t buy in that high, and I’m just holding on to see where it goes but it’s pretty flat. Feel bad for those guys you pumped it to at 28 bucks. Typical of the market and why we face a major stock crash every day decade.

To each, his own. I really flubbed this one.

#7080 3 years ago

PNNT, PSEC and PLUG along with Delta and Southwest have been my big winners. Up 55% on airlines. 154% on the first two and PLUG has just been stupid with its growth. Bought in on that when it was 12 bucks.
For energy stocks KMI has treated me well and been a real tank, chugging along with reliable tips to buy even more. My first ever buy was WPX who merged with DVN and I’ve been happy with that so far. My shares from WPX had an average cost of $4 and DVN trades for 19 a pop. Coming down from the frenzy of the merger but I’m buying more.

#7085 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Hey dipshit, why don't you stop while you are still behind. Here is the screenshot of the very first mention of the stock Palantir in the entire forum, made by me. You can go look up all the other ones too. I take no credit for anything I didn't bring to the table.
As for RKT, there are numerous postings I made when I bought, sold, bought more, and traded. I can't help it that you can not do your diligence on stocks and that you fail at basic reading comprehension.
Also, there is a whole post that I put up sometime in November about my winners and losers. I got nothing to hide, and sure as shit not here to try impress you.
Anything else you want to fail on today, slick?
[quoted image]

Well that was a bad call, I really did miss that one. Apologies and thanks for recommending PLTR, it’s done well for me. I really mixed up you and Ice on that one. That’s embarrassing...

#7198 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Lot of that going around these days. I don’t regret selling GME where I did, but it is crazy where it is today. I don’t think it lasts.
Hey isochronic_frost, glad that RKT woke up for you. I still have 3,750 shares left. Let’s see what happens.

How humorous, after the debacle yesterday, RKT pops off to mock me!
Well, I’m in the money now, so thanks for that too, DBLM
I greatly apologize for being cocky while knowing so little.

Dunno if anyone has watched ADMP. Recommended them at 42¢ and they’re at $1.78 now... ridiculous money on what looked like a junk stock. They partnered with Walgreens out of NOWHERE.

#7334 3 years ago

PINS dipping nicely, seems like a prime spot to add more to the cart!
I bought some AMC for $4 so I’m just holding to see where it goes.
$14 right now!
Woulda loved to have more cash to put into them! That 900M+ was good for them too. I think they’ve got a real chance to survive and refocus their business

#7427 3 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Nice! Now be sure to withhold taxes to teach him about how fun that part is.

Or teach him how to move to a tax haven!

This AMC flurry of trading is hilarious. Bought in a bit more kinda high but whatever, it’s just fun to ride it out and if it doesn’t work out I’ll hold it long.

#7868 3 years ago
Quoted from yfz450:

That's correct..... See how the 1%ers stay in the 1% If you want to buy more get a webull account.

Webull suspended Trading in all the top shorted stocks as well. Absolute bullshit.
TD-Ameritrade is also one of the criminal brokers that suspending GME/AMC trading.

Totally criminal.

Quoted from Zablon:

Word is Webull also just suspended trading of GME/AMC

I’m closing BOTH accounts. Fuck them. I still have accounts with Wells Fargo and E*Trade.
What are the chances they lock up the short stocks too? I’m fuming.

#7887 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

To many posts to keep up.
E-trade is awesome platform. Very reliable, no lock outs. I was able to buy and sell AMC and GME, just wish i would of held GME, i bailed at the bell yeaterday, worried about overnight crash.
Schwab also very reliable.
Robinhood is a joke, never thought buying partial shares was good for anybody.

Schwab also heavily limited trades and owns TD. They’re like the rest of ‘em.

#7930 3 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Is RH a free to trade platform or is there a flat fee cost associated with its trades?

It’s a scam platform now. Turns out Citadel LLC owns them who happens to have massive money in Melvin. Citadel burned themselves with their own app.

074F3FC1-7D1C-4E14-9F52-6A06CB4A072E.jpeg074F3FC1-7D1C-4E14-9F52-6A06CB4A072E.jpeg
#7932 3 years ago

The absolute state of the market right now.
Wall Street bankers lose a 5% of their money and start screaming.
Yet they expect the average American to go bankrupt and just “pull themselves up and deal with it”

Holding on AMC let’s see if the pressure actually works and breaks free of the machine.
2D9AA5E7-146F-4C24-8BC2-115921E492D4.jpeg2D9AA5E7-146F-4C24-8BC2-115921E492D4.jpeg

#7944 3 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Just going to leave this steaming pile right here...
[quoted image]

Wow they blocked American Airlines? Kinda shocked they’d do that. But they’re on the ropes anyway. Worst of the carriers and ripe for bankruptcy buyout soon anyway.

Quoted from iceman44:

Unfortunately, Big Tech, Big Government, Big Banks, Big Hedge Funds, Big Media ALWAYS WINS.
And the little guy gets F Ed! Sad F ing state of affairs to watch how this is going down.
Watch how Bitcoin plays out and all of the future regulation there. It's already starting in the EU.
Free markets and capitalism? LOL

Bitcoin has skirted China’s ban for a while now. Blockchain was designed to foil government attempts at regulation. ETH 2.0 is gonna show the world what Crypto can do. People flock to crypt as their eyes are forced open to how corrupt the whole system is.

#7963 3 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Class action suit filed against Robinhood in the SDNY[quoted image]

That didn’t take long! If you want, also file SEC complains against all brokerages who halted or suspended trade on the hot stocks here!

https://www.sec.gov/oiea/Complaint.html

#7975 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

[quoted image]So back to stocks with a relation to pinball and slot machines; Bally's Corporation (BALY) announced yesterday that all of the Fox Sports branded networks will soon be branded Bally Sports. The familiar Bally logo will be on teevees across the nation.
I have been adding to my position after selling a bit for "general corporate purposes".
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Does this Bally have anything to do with the slot machine manufacturer or no? Bally seems to have turned into GE and sold off a ton of their stuff.

#7981 3 years ago

Lol Crypto is rocketing up. Even Dogecoin is way up. Just sent my portfolio soaring. Too bad I’m gonna sell it all and move to a platform that doesn’t pull the plug when their hedge masters demand it.

Quoted from pinlink:

Still holding my NOK, NAKD, and AMC!!! I don't think this is over yet. The Robinhooders are pissed, they just need to find a new place to trade. Or maybe RH will open these stocks back up? Either way, it's fun to watch and be a part of it.

Either way Robinhood (and Webull as well as the others) committed suicide. The consensus is that they known they will get sued the the millions of the lawsuit are nothing compared to the literal billions they’re still on the hook for. Same with Melvin claiming they closed out on their positions. Rather take the fines and lawsuits than actually have to buy billions of dollars of stock on a dead horse like GameStop.

#7999 3 years ago

I was just looking at the market hour by hour short ratios... they’re still going up...
you’re telling me that these guys who are getting reamed, losing billions and crying to the government are genuinely doubling down on their short positions???

100% clownery.

#8011 3 years ago

Not trying to open up a political discussion here, but want to show that the hand of government is likely going to come down hard here on somebody. When Cruz, AOC, Tilab, Trump (jr.) and Shapiro are agreeing with and retweeting each other, you know the hand of God is about to be unleashed.
[quoted image]

I wanted to post that but didn’t wanna catch a ban!
This is full bipartisan support here. Some crooked ass shit is happening.

Outright barring people from trading is such a scam. Robinhood must really be confident that the legal fees will be worth it against their (Melvin’s) billions and billions in shorts.

#8264 3 years ago
Quoted from DadofTwins:

Is there anyway to see how shorted some of these stocks still are, in "real time"?

Quoted from DBLM:

no, they are updated twice a month from what I just read.

Quoted from Trogdor:

Fundamentally, AMC will trade below $3 at some point in the next 2 years. Still have what over $4b in debt with a pandemic for 8 more months at least? Nobody should touch this thing if they are talking about more share issuance. They have diluted shares greatly already with everybody excited about the squeeze. If Silver Lake held( they probably had shorted shares- possibly tens of millions- to lock in conversion price and are out), the squeeze could still be on- but will it be possible with restrictions on options tomorrow? I bet shorts actually increased.
Lot of pissed people might drive it up, but I think the fear is out for shorts. I’ll be watching the out of money call volumes for future expirations, but I think brokerages and MMs have throttled impact of the gamma squeeze.
GLTA!

From my research it seems that they have doubled down on the shorts hoping to cover some losses but the ones expiring tomorrow are so insanely leveraged it’s impossible to come back from it at this point. It’s been nothing but FUD from the big hedge funds just trying to do damage control. There is not enough GME shares available to cover all the shorts at the triple and quadruple leverage we’ve seen.

These guys are addicts and can’t stop, so regardless on Friday we’re gonna see an awful dump. Research the share ratios, you can indeed see some of the data hourly, this is a huge fluff piece to try and scare out the retail traders.
Hedge funds have no going back. No matter what GameStop is skyrocketing tomorrow and the brokers are pressured on both sides. This is some 2008 nonsense. How many times are we gonna run into this?

#8270 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

This is a very good interview with the CEO of Webull. While I don't know that I entirely agree/believe with his reasoning (I'm not that informed), he appears to be poking at the hedge funds actions rather than Reddit which leads me to believe he might not be trying to be shady.
He explains the issue of the clearing firms and that the key thing about why sells were allowed and buys were not was because the clearing firms require the broker to front the buy money, and do not require to front the sell money (unless of course the buyer/seller are on the same platform/clearing house being used.

CEO is MISTER DENIER??? Lmfao!!!

#8282 3 years ago

Just saw this post... you’ve got to be joking me. The short interest is still over 100%?!? These Hedge Funds are really screwed if GME calls finish ITM today.

FE445355-2B56-4220-89C3-719274F88C08.jpegFE445355-2B56-4220-89C3-719274F88C08.jpeg
#8294 3 years ago

Here’s an AWESOME thread synopsis on the GameStop story.
This is the next “Big Short” this guy dives into the quarterly reports of GameStop and talks about what actually happened and where we are now.

He also discusses the Gamma Squeeze that we just saw that is NOT ACTUALLY the short squeeze. GME is still shorted to hell and the real story hasn’t even developed at all. This stuff is a powder keg.

The point we are at right now is basically the brokers cannot even supply enough shares to cover the calls so the shorters are in even worse shape, and Melvin did go bankrupt lol.

(This is an app that wraps a bunch of tweets into one easy-to-read article.)
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1354547622133051393.html

#8298 3 years ago

Elon Musk changed his twitter bio to #Bitcoin and now it’s skyrocketing again.
This is why my “HODL memes” are always accurate and you should all be holding bitcoin

It’s the longest game but it always comes around.

#8320 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

I think I'm a reasonably intelligent guy and I understand blockchain tech, but for the life of me I don't understand all the mechanisms of trading BTC...coin base, cold wallets, dead wallets, exchanges, etc...i have never grasped the intricacies.

Coinbase is an exchange for people because it’s difficult for the average person to directly link with miners and coin-HODLers.

Bitcoin is like trading objects at a swap meet. You can’t do it unless you’re connecting directly person to person physically.

Coinbase is an exchange, like an online marketplace so buyers and sellers can be easily linked up.

Cold wallets are not “wired” online. It’s like taking your money out of the bank and keeping your cash in your own hands. You can go anywhere and directly give them your cash or use it how you see fit, just like cold, hard cash.

Hot wallets are like storing your money in the bank, but the bank isn’t insured so if the money is stolen, it’s gone. You don’t physically possess your cash, the bank does. Same concept with a hot wallet. You don’t have access to your bitcoin directly, the online wallet does.

#8571 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I can't speak to whats being reported at this moment, but the reality is NOT what you state. FB caters to your own personal circle of news depending on your behaviors. They ONLY care about $$. The only thing they 'censor' is hate speech...and even that has to be pretty bad. Sure in the last month they are probably stepping things up, but they are being pushed to do so.
I do not and have never had a FB account and my life is just fine. I do not agree with their big brother (or googles for that matter) approach to business and I think social media in general is getting progressively worse so these type of forums are about as 'social' as I get. That being said, this BS that these companies are censoring to fit a narrative is complete falsehoods. They don't care about what you say, only that you use their products, but anyone allowing hate speech and death threats and straight up lies to be circulated are complacent in anything bad that happens as a result.

You are 100% clueless. I’ve had many friends and myself banned for 30 days for saying a color and it was considered “hate speech”.

Let’s say you’ve pissed off the wrong person. Now they stalk you. Then you see a picture of flowers and you say, “wow I like the red and black ones!”

Well they just reported your comment for racial hate speech and the Facebook bots notice you said “black” and that’s considered race and REGARDLESS OF CONTEXT if you said a color and it’s reported you AUTOMATICALLY get a ban.

Try it, seriously. Post “white/black/red” on your Facebook and have a friend report it for “hate speech”
You could say “I love [color]” and you will get banned. It’s bullshit and people like yourself toe the company line and try to deflect the blame.

#8575 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Well they already said they are no longer going to post short analysis. For some reason they call that a 'win', but to me it just seems now they can do it even more in backrooms with the public not knowing.

That was Citron Research, and Andrew Left. They were part of the issue with Melvin capital that were manipulating GameStop stocks by pushing out bullshit and shorting it trying to drive the company into the ground.
Short interest is public and there is no need for the garbage “analysis” of shorted companies that are meant to make them look bad.
If anyone read the thread I posted, GameStop’s quarterlies are actually looking good and they’re in a great place with no debt and good cash flow. The pandemic has really battered them but they were positioned well enough that they can survive the pandemic.

That’s the entire point. GameStop is not Sears. They might be an “unethical” company but they make good money and with the new leadership they are in a great position to turn things around and be everyone’s favorite company like the early 2000’s.

#8579 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I am hoping I'm wrong on this, but I'm wondering if the SEC is going to somehow claw back all of the gains the individual investors made due to the WSB and reddit users influencing the market for these select stocks?
If so, it will be a major loss for the little guy making his few thousand to few million on this in a day.

That sounds like a great way to cause massive rioting in New York City. They thought the joke at the Capitol (where they opened the gates and doors and let people inside lol) was bad?
Clawback the gains of the little guys and watch the stock exchange get raided

1 week later
#9378 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Sure, except most people aren't going to buy a pack of gum with bitcoin because what costs $1 today could be worth $100 tomorrow. That is one of the primary advantages of normal FIAT. There's variance, but not nearly like there is with BTC. If someone believes BTC is going to go to 100k, they aren't going to spend it when it's at $40k. The people accepting BTC are those that are risking that it will continue to rise, and not drop back down to 0 before they can cash out --- and let's not pretend that isn't exactly what this is...people waiting to cash out.

As I’ve been saying forever, crypto is not going anywhere and it’s super easy to buy without the government nonsense. Do your own DD, DYOR.

Crypto was used to buy pizzas and such and now that transaction is celebrated every year since it’s shown the explosive growth. Now they were like 23 million dollar pizzas or something.

People use crypto all the time, you can gamble/bet on sports with it (using a VPN on European websites) you can buy cars with it, you can buy websites and domains with it, like I do currently, you can even buy everyday items on Overstock.com with bitcoin.

It has tons of uses. A friend of mine went to Europe by spending 2 bitcoin for a month trip, and then he bought a nearly 2 million dollar mansion. I just helped him settle in.

Only miserly old fools and contrarians hate bitcoin. You guys sound like the same fools who kept preaching about the eminent collapse of Apple.
NOT HAPPENING! Get over it already, you were wrong, you’ve been wrong for 10 years and crypto is here to stay, ESPECIALLY BITCOIN.

Don’t buy Amazon, don’t buy google! They’re gonna be broken up any day now I promise!!!! It’s a bubble!!! Yep, just like the pinball bubble it’s gonna pop any minute now!

#9385 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Do you just have this on copy/paste? Go get some new material and take it to the crypto thread. This is the stock trading thread.

Money markets are definitely comparable to stock, considering many major brokers are rapidly adding bitcoin and other crypto to their offerings.

Quoted from Zablon:

And you clearly are completely missing the point...but it doesn't matter. You can't stand anyone with a contrarian thought process because you're too into the 'me me me' echo chamber culture. You don't need to convince me or anyone else unless you NEED me and everyone else to drive the price up. Which as it turns out, is exactly what you need. If the same people were keeping it to themselves, the price would go nowhere. It's funny when people resort to personal attacks over someones difference of opinion. There is nothing in BTC world that one can't do faster and easier with things as they are now. Could that change in the future? Sure. But on the flip side what YOU fail to realize is that the BTC train could end at any given moment and suddenly only USBTC is allowed to be used. That is unless you want to be a felon.

Lmfao felon? You on crack bud?? You can’t use gold or precious metals as payment. They’re not useful as actual currency yet you’ve encouraged them quite frequently. The feds actually made private possession of gold illegal for a time, so do you look back on those who held onto it with disdain for being disgusting criminals?? How dare those fools not give up their gold!

The most humorous thing about this is the fact that, other people buying in to add value is exactly how the stock market works.

Companies parrot all the time “the new price target is $130” which means “we think it’s worth $130 so you should buy it to meet and justify our target” the entire thing is just self-fulfilling. If everyone sells you’re also totally screwed. What kind of dumb logic are you playing? Crypto, money markets and stocks are all playing the same game, you guys resist it so hard because just like technology companies and hedge funds before, crypto is now up-ending the established players and you desperately want to resist it.

Clearly there are many guys here who want to learn more and the “crypto thread” is total crap. Stock market traders is where real people talk about real value.
When the next “bubble” bursts should I shout “I told you so” about stock markets and how it’s all a big scam? No, because shit happens, I would consider the past year to be extreme volatile and basic gambling yet some like to pretend this market has any basis in reality!

Nothing like shunning any “new” (over a decade old) ideas to prove how open and understanding one is.

#9386 3 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Bitcoin

[quoted image]

This was the first mention of bitcoin in this thread. It was January 2nd, 2017. It cost between 930-1020 USD that day to buy ONE BITCOIN. And people, even iceman were calling it a scam and claiming it was gonna rug everyone.
How would you feel now if you had taken that advice and spent just a thousand dollars to buy bitcoin over 3 years ago, just 1494 days ago. Now we talk about spending 5 or even 10 thousand to get some meager gains. You could be up 39 thousand dollars, and be reaping a 3864% increase.

I promise to quote this comment in another 3 years, 2024 to see how ridiculous the price is and how cheap the current price will seem, regardless of the highs and lows.

#9389 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Then go create your own crypto thread. From here on out, I am going to start reporting every crypto post that I see in here as off topic.

Plenty of members have asked in this thread because they want to invest their money. People want to know how to invest and are asking. Why be so flippant, just because you hate the asset?
Grayscale bitcoin (GBTC) is a massive trust fund of crypto currency and Riot Blockchain (RIOT) is a bitcoin miner that’s publicly traded. Is that not Bona fide stock trading? We are discussing the underlying asset to those investments, which is a huge market and billions of dollars that are just being ignored.

#9670 3 years ago

Wow, poor bastards are having a hell of a time lately!
I’m holding off on buys for now, finally napped the new job and start in a few weeks. Now I’ll actually be able to do some serious investing.
With all the silly Reddit pump and dumps and meme stocks happening lately, does anyone think the big dump is being accelerated or pushed back with all this? It seems like the market is getting severely removed from any rational basis.

I also highly doubt that this administration will legalize weed. Trump talked about it, but Biden has totally ignored it. Plus the VPs entire career was based on jailing thousands for minor drug offenses. When you add in the snub of any sort of social changes, it seems unlikely they will want to enact such a massive change like that.

Only 15 states have outright legalized it. Once it’s at a majority, maybe 30+ then the feds will probably seriously move on it.

#9739 3 years ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

Had to print one lol
[quoted image]

Can I get one??? DIAMOND HANDS

#9825 3 years ago
Quoted from cnuts13:

bought etherium classic days ago. 102 percent gain in five days. is this krypto one big scam that hackers will empty someday?

We have a crypto thread and Etherium Classic is total junk. It’s going no where. It’s comparable to sticking with Windows Vista even after all the new ones have come out.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cryptocurrency-and-decentralized-finance-defi

Note: Regardless of Crypto’s intrinsic ties to the stock market and investing, clearly between members of this thread there will be no clear agreement on relevancy, so it’s best to simply bring it to a unified thread. Obviously there will be related cross-posts at times.

Quoted from jonesjb:

What is Etherium classic compared with the standard Etherium?

It’s a legacy fork of Etherium from back in 2017.
My understanding is that the transaction times are absolutely horrible. Something like 2 weeks for what’s considered an irreversible confirmation.

The literal only reason Etherium Classic exists is because of the DAO fiasco.

Recap: people put a millions into a fund and some guy hacked it and then 89% of the community agreed to delete/ignore the hack and leave it behind as classic.

Etherium is the chain where the hack never happened.
Classic is the chain where some hacker has 3.5 million ether (over $6 billion USD) sitting around unspent to this day ready to flood to market at any time they want.

Full story posted in the crypto thread.

#9959 3 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

Officially and finally got everything transferred OUT of Robinhood today and shut the account down.

My issue is I have about 40% of my crypto holdings in Robinhood and I’m not aware of anyway I can transfer those over... I’d really loved to NOT sell them all and rebuy on a different exchange, because then I’m hit with idiotic tax “gains”...

Is there any other way to get around this?

#9964 3 years ago
Quoted from vex:

Riot blockchain is like a money tree. Cograts to all the holders.

This thread “I only like Bitcoin when it makes me money”

Quoted from vex:

RIOT 52 week high today. Up 187% in one month and nobody talking about it here. Makes me even more bullish.

Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Plenty of members have asked in this thread because they want to invest their money. People want to know how to invest and are asking. Why be so flippant, just because you hate the asset?
Grayscale bitcoin (GBTC) is a massive trust fund of crypto currency and Riot Blockchain (RIOT) is a bitcoin miner that’s publicly traded. Is that not Bona fide stock trading? We are discussing the underlying asset to those investments, which is a huge market and billions of dollars that are just being ignored.

We tried to tell them!

1 month later
#11602 3 years ago
Quoted from DadofTwins:

Wasn't he also headed to Vegas this week to party it up with his dad?

Probably a pre-emptive deactivation to avoid any wild antics from a week out in Vegas!

3 weeks later
#12088 3 years ago

Just a reminder that EPD and other companies with K1 forms are not beneficial to be held in an IRA due to tax complications if you collect over $1000. KMI is an alternative to have in your IRA since it has a 1099. My friend who is a retired natural gas trader for a local gas company likes and owns KMI along with MMP and EPD, which is his number 1 of the three. And yes my friend is from TX. Just FYI for you and others.
https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/102714/can-i-own-master-limited-partnerships-mlp-my-roth-ira.asp

I didn’t understand this, I own it in my personal account and I got a K1 for -1 dollar. It cost more to file it than it was worth lol. What the hell do they even mean?
My financial advisor suggested I should just “forgot” the form next time taxes come around anyway.

Quoted from TRAMD:

Thank you. I don't have an IRA but I'll look into KMI anyway. This is all just my individual investment account. I also have a managed 401k.

I’ve owned KMI since May 4th last year and it’s been awesome to me. Love the dividend and the company is been chugging along.

I mentioned them for the first time in this forum a few months ago:

Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:PNNT, PSEC and PLUG along with Delta and Southwest have been my big winners. Up 55% on airlines. 154% on the first two and PLUG has just been stupid with its growth. Bought in on that when it was 12 bucks.
For energy stocks KMI has treated me well and been a real tank, chugging along with reliable tips to buy even more. My first ever buy was WPX who merged with DVN and I’ve been happy with that so far. My shares from WPX had an average cost of $4 and DVN trades for 19 a pop. Coming down from the frenzy of the merger but I’m buying more.

Speaking of them, PLUG is waaaaay down, a fantastic pullback and a good time to load back up on them. They will be back up to silly highs, they’re at the forefront of the hydrogen energy cell revolution.

5 months later
#14727 2 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Ever notice when the market slows, so do the “hot pick” forums spanning the internet.
It’s easy to be a genius in a bull market. You can pick almost anything. Market efficiency makes pricing a breeze… almost no need to do any homework. After all, will you do better than rooms full of supercomputers and analysts making forecasts as their full-time jobs? Not likely.
UPST has done well, regardless. The rest are still puttering along through the September slog.
My personal “soda disruptor” pick ZVIA is down again. Might add a bit more.

I’ve tried those Stevia-sodas. They’re so super sweet it’s unpalatable. I hope you can get utility out of it, but when you have a party and the stevia-soda remains untouched after one can, it’s a good indication most folks don’t like it.

1 month later
#15185 2 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Thank you for that detailed explanation! Picked up a few K worth.
My Pinside portfolio is now:
-SNOW
-BROS
-LCID
-DVN

Sweet!! Glad DVN has worked out for you! I was in on it since the WPX days. Boy, that’s been one of my biggest winners!

2 years later
#20430 67 days ago

How much longer will stuff like this last... and when the faucet gets turned off what will be the effects?[quoted image]

Wow, people love taking it up the A. My friend bought a used Honda SUV and he pays like $650 per month while working at McDonald’s. He’s overpaying by like $8k and I tried telling him but he just said it is what it is. Guess that’s why he works at McDonald’s

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 12.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Isochronic_Frost.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders?tu=Isochronic_Frost and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.