kuiil-have-spoken.gif
200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5101 Roth conversion advice. Posted by iceman44 (3 years ago)

Post #19981 How To Read US Debt Clock Posted by pinnyheadhead (5 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DadofTwins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1143 4 years ago

Nothing new?

10 months later
#3136 4 years ago

Can we PLEASE have one drama free thread? SERIOUSLY! Take it to PM's if you wanna argue. I loved this thread for the investing insight and no BS, let's keep it that way.

#3175 4 years ago

I read that Warren Buffett sold off a bunch of airline stocks last Wednesday and Thursday but still retained like 50 million of one of the ones he sold off. Makes you think they do it intentionally to drive price down so they can rebuy those shares back, lower? If he had no faith, he would have sold them all. I don't see how the government would let the airlines fail. Somehow, someway, they are gonna be bailed/helped out and they will recover. Just my thoughts.

#3208 4 years ago

I'm dumbfounded at the gains today? I started selling some stocks at a small profit thinking the market would come crashing back down this afternoon. Nope. I'm completely lost and 2nd guessing every move I make. Anyone else with me? Lmao

#3367 4 years ago

It has to be all the big money institutions guiding the market. They are the ones with market changing money amounts. They do this for a living and us average Joe's are just along for the ride unfortunately.

#3415 4 years ago

Riddle me this......Oil stocks are down when too much is being produced with low demand and then oil stocks are down after they come to an agreement to scale back production? By no means am I an investing guru, but can someone explain this?

#3489 4 years ago

I'm small potatoes to most of you guys, but I bought some stocks today and sold those same stocks tonight for a couple hundred dollars profit. I know those averages won't be consistent, but that paid me a hell of a lot more money then sitting in a savings account. I figured take the guaranteed profit rather then hope it holds its value tomorrow or by the end of the week. I can always buy again, rinse and repeat.

1 week later
#3771 4 years ago

The market doesn't make sense right now, I agree. You also don't have to go "all in" either. Just put some play money in an account, follow some stocks and see how they move day to day, and buy and sell in small increments. Not everything has to be a home run or a huge gain.

#3773 4 years ago

^^^^^ sounds like a hell of a profit to me. Congrats!

4 weeks later
#4162 3 years ago

Massive sell off at end of session today?

3 weeks later
#4419 3 years ago

If you are near retirement, money should definitely not be in the stock market, pretty sure that's an ongoing suggestion. Closer you get, the less aggressive the investment vehicle. Why risk it unless you like living dangerously.

3 weeks later
#4554 3 years ago

Ice, it looks like a bunch of the stocks you just mentioned above are near 52 week highs? Where do they go from here? Do they break through the ceiling and keep growing, or do they come back down?

1 month later
#4740 3 years ago

Can you explain the following statement for people like myself who loves to invest but does not understand all the lingo 100% Thanks!

blockquote cite="#5814366">As for RKT, we opened a position for some accounts in the $20 range after it came public a few weeks ago.
As a long term investor i'll be looking for a pullback heading into the expiration of the 6 month lock up period for insiders and underwriters. Seems to happen every time! And then you load up IF the numbers are still good! Or sell if not.

1 week later
#4812 3 years ago

So what's the deal with RKT today? Earning meet expectations, why is it tanking.

2 weeks later
#5082 3 years ago

So what's the smart buy right now ICE? What should we buy this evening/tomorrow morning? Is Apple at $110 still a smart pick?

#5121 3 years ago

You will be set up very well in the future if you take action now like you are wanting to do. I tell my kids (16), when they start working to max out their 401k and Roth IRA, every year. Live on whats left over and they should be able to hit retirement much much earlier then the traditional working person if they so desire.

You have TIME and the magic of compounding on your side. Take full advantage of it!

Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I’m really trying to understand this but having a hard time. Recommended reading for someone with very little savings who just started their 401k match for their employer? I’m in my 20s here and all I want to focus is on investing as much as humanly possible so I don’t end up a broke bastard in my 50s (like many of the men I’ve worked with)
One of my coworkers worked 20 years for a company, took all the money upfront, skipped any of the savings options and now he’s got absolutely nothing at 56. No savings, no safety net and a body that’s getting old.
I’ve worked with enough guys like this already and the experience really lit a fire. I don’t want to end up like that.
My best investments so far have been my pins. Prices are ridiculous now! It’s surprising how it’s changed since 4 years ago when I first got in.

1 month later
#5657 3 years ago

Sell Tesla now that it spiked after hours or hold on?

#5776 3 years ago

Can someone dumb this down for me please. I only do straight buying and selling and don't understand the more complicated procedures.

20201120_173001 (resized).jpg20201120_173001 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#5928 3 years ago

Zoom....seems to be circling the commode. Any upside from here?

2 weeks later
#6110 3 years ago

I get what they are saying, but isn't this exactly what wall street does all day everyday? Now all the big institutions are pi**ed off because the wave of daytraders/investors are throwing a wrench into their game and they are not happy about it?

1 week later
#6251 3 years ago

Maybe we all have accounts where we buy and hold? Maybe all this buying and selling/daytrading is just for fun? I know that's what it is for me. We already max out our 401k and IRA. Now I'm using excess savings account money for daytrading, just for the purpose of beating the absolutely pitiful interest rate we are getting.

Quoted from investingdad:

The question is, how many people sold just to jump back in.
I've said it before, will repeat again... many folks here are making investing WAY more complicated than it needs to be.
The constant barrage of ticker symbols that people *feel* are due for a big move must be exhausting.

#6267 3 years ago

I have worked my A$$ off for 20 years, working every hour of overtime available and being smart with my money. I'm not rich, but we are comfortable because of the choices I have made.

Quoted from Friengineer:

Damn dude, what do you do for living? Looking for any interns?

1 week later
#6424 3 years ago

I sold off and took profits yesterday and today. Guessing we will see a decent drop incoming shortly, rebuy then.

#6443 3 years ago

What was that all about today? Did I miss some news somewhere? I saw dollar $ign$ and sold mine, figuring it would drop back down like last time it hit $28.00. Oops, wrong choice.

Quoted from Oaken:

Cover those calls yet?
PSTH FOMO Today
Ty for the tip by the way.

#6501 3 years ago

Is this through a phone? Maybe try logging in on a pc/laptop.

#6552 3 years ago

I LOVE this thread for the insights and the camaraderie. Obviously Ice and KPG view and do things differently from each other and there's nothing wrong with that. They BOTH give some great advice and tips on things I for sure would have never heard of on my own. I appreciate everyone who contributes to this thread. Let's keep making that $$$$$$, cause that's what it's all about!

#6701 3 years ago

Thoughts on the Palantir downgrade to $15.00/share?

#6762 3 years ago

Looking for some guidance here. I invest in my 401k thru work and they don't match at all nor do they cover any of the plan costs. I am paying out of my own pocket about 1.2% a year in fees which to me seems ludicrous since thats money I won't have working for me or availablein the future. I tried googling 401k fees for comparisons, and the results are all over the place. Is it way out of hand?

#6765 3 years ago

I can't. I looked into that last year and they told me no. While I am still employed there, I am unable to move the money out of the plan. Also wouldn't help with ongoing contributions as I would keep building up a balance.

#6767 3 years ago

I am able to pick the funds. I am in all aggressive funds at the moment, trying for larger gains until closer to retirement. Not sure if the fees vary enough from fund to fund to make a difference or not.

#6769 3 years ago

My wife and I each have a 401k and an IRA, we max all of them. Both my wife's current and former employer covered(s) ALL fees associated with her accounts. Just wanna know if mine are WAY out of line before I complain to HR tomorrow lol.

#6781 3 years ago

"Out of my pocket" as in deducted from my account, and I would assume that is plan expenses etc.... We already max everything out. She does have an HSA available but the contributions aren't investable as we see fit, it goes into some generic account. Also with 2 high schoolers in sports year round, we didn't wanna run the risk of injury with a high deductible plan until they graduate.

Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Back to the basics. Your 401K has a 1.2% fee on the total amount which you pay out of pocket. So if you have $100,000 in you pay $100 a month? And you also have expense ratios that costs associated with each fund. Correct?
I would vote Fund a Roth IRA first. Need to answer about the 1.2% fee to see about the non match 401K. You or your wife have an HSA offered at all?

#6831 3 years ago

Over time the market continues to go up. If you have the time to stay in the growth/aggressive stuff, keep on buying! That's my thoughts. Always gonna be swings both ways, maybe even another decent drop? But in the long run it will be higher.

#6881 3 years ago

I find myself doing the same thing frequently. I keep telling myself, what's your goal for the year and what does that equate to in daily profits? The market has always been manipulated and seems even more so now. When I can grab a quick profit, I do it, and I am consistently beating my daily goals and that is good enough for me.

Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

My biggest problem with investing is that I get stuck and don't want to get out....especially if it's going up in value.
If I sell and it keeps going, I feel like an idiot. For example, my crypto is up 65% in the last 30 days and 133% in the last 90 days. Should I sell and bunch and rake in a really nice profit, probably. But I keep sitting here thinking, "Well, it's went up this much, why can't it keep going?".
With my 401k it's easy, because I'd get whacked with penalties if I withdrew anything and when I'm old enough I'm going to be forced to draw. With my stock and crypto, I just get stuck holding on.
I need to find a way to get over that thought process. I just don't know when I should make a move.....

#7029 3 years ago

You put 18k into AMC?
BALLER ALERT! lol
Good luck!

Quoted from DBLM:

Funny you should bring that up. Sold all my GME for a 48% profit in a week. Rolled the earnings into AMC at $3.24. Currently at $3.44. Let's see what happens.

#7037 3 years ago

Thank WSB! LMAO

Quoted from jorge5240:

PLTR!!!!
I am going to buy Ice a beer!

#7047 3 years ago

Do you have to be a broker to have access to the short information?

#7101 3 years ago

The way GME went, I wouldn't be surprised if you saw something similar with these?

#7129 3 years ago

Sold my PINS for profits over $74+ bought back on the dip below $70 today.

#7143 3 years ago

I sold for a profit. Bought again when they dropped below $70.00

A wash sale is a sale of a security at a loss and repurchase of the same or substantially identical security shortly before or after.

Quoted from WeirPinball:

most of my stuff is getting hammered today - dadoftwins - you know that will be a wash sale with a quick turn like that.

#7152 3 years ago

I find all the complaining about the WSB "investors" and the like very entertaining. All these news shows and big time investors act like they don't do the same thing every day. They All manipulate the market. They just don't like it being done to them! Lmao. Kudos to all those guys who just got instant rich.

#7176 3 years ago

Weren't we at DOW 29,600 or so pre covid? A 30% correction would be way below that.

#7234 3 years ago

I'm thinking it hits $8.00 tonight.......AMC

#7252 3 years ago

AMC is over $8.00/share. How much more do we have to run?

#7269 3 years ago

I don't think they have actually targeted AMC yet. Definitely BB. I think they are trying to maximize om GME thru Friday.

Quoted from Oaken:

So for those in the know, has the asylum decided what target comes after amc?

#7336 3 years ago

I put a sell order in at $20.00 for AMC.....

#7404 3 years ago

Pretty fkn convenient nobody can get into an account. I'm locked out of Ameritrade....

#7513 3 years ago

Anyone loading up on PINS today?

#7514 3 years ago

EXPR is going off today as well. Missed the high of the day unfortunately.

#7670 3 years ago

Everything is selling off now. They are getting what they wanted. Wallstreet is still manipulating the market by silencing us.

#7676 3 years ago

I was/am a member. How do you get in?

#8153 3 years ago

Is there anyway to see how shorted some of these stocks still are, in "real time"?

#8218 3 years ago
Screenshot_20210128-195542_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210128-195542_Chrome (resized).jpg
#8288 3 years ago

This the correct XSPA?

Screenshot_20210129-080804_TD Ameritrade Mobile (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210129-080804_TD Ameritrade Mobile (resized).jpg
#8838 3 years ago

I don't think they moved on from GME, but they are unable to buy like they were because their hands are tied. I truly don't believe GME would be trading so low if they wouldn't have restricted everyone.

#9296 3 years ago

Question for the smart people. That very large dip in after hours, is that a bunch of share being sold short?

Screenshot_20210205-192535_TD Ameritrade Mobile (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210205-192535_TD Ameritrade Mobile (resized).jpg
#9316 3 years ago

Serious question...

WHY does the market HAVE to come down/correct itself?

Prior to the onslaught of the pandemic, everything seemed to be going great. Low unemployment, stock market was making new highs, everyone was spending and so on.

The market CRASHED in March, but really that was self inflicted because of virus news and the impending closures and lock downs. It wasn't because of fundamentals and earnings reports. So we go from Dow 29k+ to 18k in no time. Then in a quick turnaround, it starts climbing right back up to all new highs in less then a year.
Also, tell me that wasn't market manipulation to the extreme?

So, now with ALL of these retail investors pouring money in thru daytrading apps, people putting more and more money in 401k/IRA retirement accounts and the general excitement around the ease and low cost of personal investing, WHY does the market have to drop?

If we get to the other side of this pandemic, everyone will look at the world thru different eyes and not take things for granted anymore. There will be more vacations, eating out and other activities people are just ready to get back to doing.

I think we have turned a corner personally. With all of this "new money" coming into the market, getting "freedom" back sometime this year and the economy opening back up, how can we not get right back on track like we were before covid?

With all the advances in technology, science and health care, we are growing by leaps and bounds. I truly think the only thing that would hold us back and cause a drop is the constant news chatter telling us that a recession is imminent, that it has to manifest itself, that we can't keep going upwards.

Yes, we can.

#9318 3 years ago

Yes, I agree that the large institutions are the ones that truly make the market have large swings up and down. But, the point of the discussion is why can't we keep moving upwards?

#9731 3 years ago

Lots of comments about stock prices dropping after earnings. What I seem to notice with lots of these is that there is a run up in price starting 2 weeks or so before earnings are announced. I look at it as the upside is already priced in and to expect a sell off afterwards. Doesn't hold true for every stock, but I see it happening frequently.

#9786 3 years ago

PSTH is going off right now?

#10023 3 years ago

Just put buy orders in for Disney in both of our IRA'S. Once everything opens back up it's going higher.

#10094 3 years ago

I REALLY wish I could wrap my mind around how all of this works. Seems like you are making a killing every week, whether it's straight up trades or the more complicated scenarios like you describe here.

Quoted from loneacer:

Sweet. My gains are pretty much maxed at that price. I sold covered calls and kept extending them out. Now they expire 3/5, so I'd like the stock to stay around here for two weeks unless I close out early. I booked about $1000 profit on the calls I closed out already, but I'd lose about $500 if I closed out Monday morning on the remaining position. As the premium decays, that should turn into an extra $500 profit instead of $500 loss if the stock stays above 28. Also sold some $26 puts I'd profit on or double my position with if they get exercised.

#10099 3 years ago

Thanks for the explanation. Makes some more sense. It definitely seems like you need to be able to consistently monitor the market to make sure you are on top of everything. I am unable to do that though.

#10184 3 years ago

Carnival, $1 billion share offering. Anyone know what the price per share is going to be?

#10193 3 years ago

I like Carnival. Made a bunch off of it over the last 11 months and sold off all my shares yesterday on the upswing. Kind of regretted it today due to the increase again, but felt better after the announcement and the stock pulled back. As long as they can hold on until sailings resume, I think they will be ok. There is gonna be a TON of demand imo, and probably not enough cruises to satisfy customer demand.

Quoted from nwpinball:

It looks like that announcement came right before closing and then after hours the stock dropped $2 per share, the CEO sold $897,000 worth of stock a few days before this announcement and they still aren't operating. The long term trend before the pandemic was downward for years too. I'd be weary, that feels like multiple red flags. Or am I missing something?

#10278 3 years ago

So whay are the "epicenter" plays?

#10401 3 years ago

Remember a couple days ago when you wish you would have bought in the a.m. sell off.......I just picked up more Disney.

#10469 3 years ago

GREEN

Quoted from pinlink:

So will Monday be red or green??

#10531 3 years ago

Is the dividend consistent in the QYLD? That's a hell of a dividend payment.

Quoted from tacshose:

P

In addition to EPD I keep money in QYLD since I like the monthly dividend payments.

#10576 3 years ago

Lol. I sold what I had around $22.00 It's been consistently trading in those 19-23 range. Who would have thunk it would take off?

Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

so very happy I dumped it at $20.97

Quoted from ReplayRyan:

I basically did the same. Torturing myself watching it go higher and higher now.

#10584 3 years ago

Not wallowing at all, just chimed in on the conversation. Thems the breaks. I made money and I am happy.

Quoted from DBLM:

Guys, you can't beat yourselves up on this. What is going on is an anomaly that nobody could count on. If you made money on a trade, then take it for what it was. Wallowing on what it could have been does you no good.
I stand by my DD on RKT from day 1, when I bought in. Great company, mis-categorized, and was being held down. ER was killer, but there are some headwinds arising in the mortgage business. I rode it from 18 to 34 and did great with it. I texted with my advisor at 8:57 and we made the decision not to get back in. When this all settles out, will revisit it but this is just so far out of the norm I am not throwing my money at it.[quoted image]

#10632 3 years ago

I'm trying to figure out what to buy into. Thinking some more apple. There may be a sell off and a rotation into the re-opening stocks, but at some point, that will sell off and the money will go right back into growth. People are not buying that stuff for long term, it's just for quick profits imo.

Quoted from usandthem:

This thread reminds me of my uncle at the casino... laughing, carrying on, and bragging on up days, and radio silence on down days.

#10681 3 years ago

Most of us go thru the same emotions on both up and down days. In a few years time you will look back at days like today and wish you would have bought, hell that could be a week from now as well! Great companies with forward looking estimates higher then now, tanking. I just added to positions.

#10799 3 years ago

That article made it sound like you can sell what you have for $11.50/share or hold and get $0.01/share? That can't be correct, can it?

#10860 3 years ago

I bought 200 shares of pins today. We know that they were rated highly and have a good outlook with much higher price targets. I believe after everyone is done milking the reopening stocks, there will be a rotation back into the growth stocks.

#11026 3 years ago

I sold my draft kings today. I am expecting it to sell off tomorrow or Friday and then I can buy back in.

Quoted from Lounge:

FSR and DKNG killing it today.

#11152 3 years ago

Lots of the stocks I follow, the volume seems to be about half the 10 day average? Any clues as to why?

#11183 3 years ago

Isn't what the large institutions do everyday, daytading? I mean, this has been done forever right? Just more frequently now by the average Joe because of the accessibility and low cost.

#11194 3 years ago

I'm sure that buying and holding will net you larger gains, but that's what I have a IRA and 401k for. I'm normally an impatient person so I like to daytrade with some extra money we have. As long as I'm beating my savings account rate ( that isn't hard to do) I am happy. I just watched SQ go from what, $290 to 215 to 250 to 201 to 240? I bought and sold a few times and realized the gains instead of holding thru the multiple ups and downs and realizing no profit. That's just what makes me happy and content and isn't for everyone.

Quoted from taimaster2005:

Curious to know how these day trading strategies mentioned here perform in the long run vs just buying and holding stock.

#11213 3 years ago

Because I enjoy it, it's that simple.

Quoted from investingdad:

This statement is hard for me to understand.
You agree that buy and hold will out perform your day trading, but you day trade anyway?
Why not invest the same way in taxable accounts as your tax sheltered accounts?
Isn’t the goal to make the best return you can?

#11255 3 years ago

Anyone buying BABA?

#11273 3 years ago

Since you are the pro ICE, what do you think are good entry points for these 3 right now? Are you still a buyer of them yourself?

I was hoping for a pullback on PINS back into the mid 60's, but I have no idea on the other 2 as I haven't really followed them. Thanks!

Quoted from iceman44:

"Let's cover some other examples:
Etsy (ETSY) is a $26 billion market cap, but it could grow its 2-sided marketplace to new heights given the $100B+ market for "Special" items according to Euromonitor.
Pinterest (PINS) is already a ~$45 billion company, but the runway ahead is gigantic if you look at the scale of the leading social platforms worldwide.
Shopify (SHOP) is a ~$140 billion business today, and it could become a $1 trillion company one day given its 8.6% market share in US Retail ecommerce sales in 2020.
The list goes on.
What matters to me is to be directionally correct."
Buy and hold great companies with gigantic prospects and buy more when they go on sale.

#11283 3 years ago

What price point are you looking to add more at?

Quoted from rai:

I have been buying and will add more BABA.

#11325 3 years ago

Because the market doesn't follow logic. It is all a chess match. Trying to guess what the big movers are going to do and buy/sell accordingly.

#11359 3 years ago

Still think it's a smart buy after the downgrade and Amazon progress in this field?

Quoted from loneacer:

I bought 100 this morning too, and sold a covered call on it. I've only traded TDOC once before, a couple months back.

#11385 3 years ago

If you trust Morgan Stanley, they just downgraded SABR and put a $18 target on it.....

Quoted from DBLM:

Really good analysis about SABR and 2 other travel stocks that just came out.
https://seekingalpha.com/article/4414642-travel-recovery-stocks-set-to-soar

#11386 3 years ago

I wondered the same thing. I sold mine @ $3.66/share. Last time it shot over $4.00/share I held on instead of cashing in. Wasn't making that mistake again. I can rebuy on the dip

Quoted from robertmee:

I've been holding CNSP for a long while. It's gone crazy after market. Did I miss some news?

#11394 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:No need
100% AGREE! As long as your are proactive in creating wealth for yourself, you are much better off then a large percentage of the population. We all come from different walks of life, but we can change our futures by investing.

Hey KornFreak28, you are doing fine. It's like Ice said the other day, the power of compounding is real. Just keep doing what you are doing and learn. You will be just fine.
Plus, I want to be like Ice when I grow up!

#11420 3 years ago

I sold mine the other day when it crested $19.00
Just bought back in a little bit.

Quoted from KornFreak28:

How high do you think GNOG will go? Ballpark....

#11441 3 years ago

Are we gonna open tomorrow's trading day with a " wish I would have bought XXX yesyerday"?

#11449 3 years ago

ICE. love ya man, but not everything you buy is a long term hold either. It all applies, doesn't it? If you can turn a quick profit on the swings, that enables you to buy even more!

Quoted from iceman44:

Have a game plan.
Pick your stocks you want to own
Pick a target to buy them. Hold long term and prosper!
Ignore the day traders. But most of you can’t.
What we really need here is an investing thread and a trading thread.
I’m sure the investing thread would be sparsely populated.

#11454 3 years ago

Honest question. How is it daytrade/gamble if we buy and sell quality companies that you say are good to hold long term?

I have bought and sold PINS a bunch of times, profiting all along the way on it's insane ride up and down.

Buying a quality company hardly seems like gambling if you see the potential in the long term growth. To me, it's a win/win. Maybe it goes below your purchase price at some point, but if all the analyst are saying buy and they have high growth projections, you will go positive at some point.

I think this would be a very boring thread if we just put money into funds/companies and never sold. What would we have to talk about? Lol

#11511 3 years ago

With all the doom and gloom forecasting a big pullback and the 1 year anniversary of the covid crash coming up next week. Do you guys think that a massive sell off will happen over the span of a week or two so people can realize the long term gains, and then they will buy right back in?

#11560 3 years ago

Anybody having issues logging in on the Ameritrade app? Not think or swim, the other one.

#11599 3 years ago

Wasn't he also headed to Vegas this week to party it up with his dad?

Quoted from robertmee:

Doubt it had anything to do with this thread. He got moderated 3 days ago for an argument in the Deeproot thread. That was probably the catalyst.

#11646 3 years ago

I was buying NCLH and CCL over the last few days on the way down. Bouncing back nicely today. Anyone else grab some?

#11656 3 years ago

It's another bloodbath day. Ouch!

#11666 3 years ago

GREEN!!!

Quoted from extraballingtmc:

So what’s tomorrow bring??

#11678 3 years ago

It was doing great, until it wasn't. Both of them dropped off a cliff at the same time. Look at the chart for the day.

Quoted from robertmee:

It dropped dramatically today?

#11691 3 years ago

We will all be holding the bag....lol.

#11709 3 years ago

This is what I was saying last week.

Screenshot_20210325-121551_TD Ameritrade Mobile (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210325-121551_TD Ameritrade Mobile (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#12054 3 years ago

QYLD.....anyone been a long time holder? Are the returns consistent?

#12130 3 years ago

Seems to be normal movement. No rhyme or reason except people taking profits, creating artificial drops and more buying opportunities. IMO. I am waiting for it to hit low 70's high 60's before buying back in again.

Quoted from Roostking:

Didnt expect the PINS drop, what gives?

Screenshot_20210416-113839_TD Ameritrade Mobile (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210416-113839_TD Ameritrade Mobile (resized).jpg
#12138 3 years ago

I saw that later in the day. It also says in the article that they forecasted a slow down, so it shouldn't be a surprise.

Quoted from Oaken:

Re: PINS drop. This may be why
Cleveland Research analyst Chandler Converse wrote:
“Q1 looks like it ended softer than mid-quarter expectations would indicate,” with some ad agencies and partners noting a deceleration from Q4 levels. Briefing.com adds that Cleveland Research indicated mixed trends from larger retailers, with a slowing page of net-new advertiser gains, and moderating spend levels from some new advertisers.

#12139 3 years ago

Looking for advice on a large growth etf/mutual fund.

Since we wish to retire early, and you can't draw down retirement accounts until 59 1/2, we need cash for the gap years.

Looking for a fund or 2 that are solid, have pretty consistent returns and in quality large growth companies.

Any ideas?

#12142 3 years ago

Yes, our IRA's are Roth and the ones invested in Vanguard VTSAX fund.

Quoted from WeirPinball:

Do you have any roth iras? If so did you know you can withdrawl all contributions without penalty or tax. You just have to leave the gains in there until 59 1/2. I retired at 47 and have a few tricks up my sleeve.

#12146 3 years ago

I paid off my mortgage at 34 years old because I dislike having debt over my head. Congrats on having yours paid off soon. It's a great feeling for sure.

Quoted from WeirPinball:

Another thing I did that goes against most - paying off the house early. I know financially in the long run, it is cheap money I could invest, but the psychological advantage of not having a house payment is huge. If anything happens to me, I know my wife will be on easy street. Only 8 more payments and we are there.

#12151 3 years ago

I have had this idea myself, and revisited it several times over the last year, just couldn't pull the trigger and do it. It seems like a no brainer, I don't know what my hang-up is.

Quoted from tacshose:

Interesting you feel that way. I did a cash out refinance at 3.25% last year from being at 4.25% and pulled $100k out that I’ve had in QYLD at 11% interest. Rates are too low to pay off my house even though I could tomorrow if desired.

#12190 3 years ago

What's everyone buying today?

#12207 3 years ago

Thank you for the heads up. I appreciate hearing things like this ahead of time.

Quoted from robertmee:

For those still holding HCMC, an opportunity in the future to buy at discount in a 4 to 1 deal:
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/healthier-choices-management-corp-files-120000375.html

#12263 3 years ago

It looks like the shares to the general public opened around $65/share. Don't we normally hear don't buy on the open and wait a week for it to settle? Curious what your buy in was at per share if your dropped 60k in it?

Quoted from DBLM:

Did any of you follow me on UIPath? Having a very nice opening trade.

#12271 3 years ago

Thanks for being transparent. Is this another company in the field that you are in? Great long term prospects?

#12398 2 years ago

Sold mine this morning on the bump up.

Quoted from KornFreak28:

Anybody still holding MAC? Not sure what to do with this one.

#12462 2 years ago

PINS seems to have a support level mid to high 60's. If it falls below that then I would start to worry. I wasn't buying in the 70's. Just bought a little right below $70, let's see what happens rest of the week.

#12512 2 years ago

I say no.

Quoted from DBLM:

Poll time: Does Amazon announce a stock split today? I would love to see it, but I am saying not today. Thoughts?

#12528 2 years ago

And the flipside of that scenario is stock xyz goes down to $25/share and you were smart to sell. I think it's all in the individual and what goals they have and what kind of risk they are happy with. Some of us are happy with quick buys and sells netting 5-10% profits and others are shooting for much more.

So obviously some of you have been doing this a long time, so what is your thought on preservation of capital? Mostly notably selling a portion of a position and then reentering at some point in the future even if that price of that asset has increased?
For example, you buy 100 shares of Stock XYZ at $100. The price goes to $200 and you sell 50, putting the initial investment back in your pocket. At some point in the future, weather it be a month or a year, Stock XYZ is $265.
Is someone an idiot for getting back in when they could have just held it the entire time?

#12532 2 years ago

I sold off 90% of my Apple holdings right before earnings, anticipating a pullback. We have had a slight one so far. Do you think we will see below $120/share again?

#12539 2 years ago

I'm already considering it to be the right play for myself. Locked in some profits and already trading lower then some of the shares I sold off. Guessing if we have some larger overall market pullbacks, Apple will fall right along with everything else. Already told my wife this evening, if we get back under $120 we are buying a bunch more. Just goes to show, no matter how well you outperform expectations, you can still trend downwards.

Quoted from nwpinball:

Also right before the dividend. I partially did this with PINS, sold 50% before earnings and that turned out to be a good move, I didn't even consider it with Apple though. I guess time will tell which was the better play!

#12549 2 years ago

Dude, that's awesome. Congratulations! What's the point of making money if you can't enjoy it? What are you looking at buying?

To be honest? Buying a sports car. It's actually my crypto holdings, but I thought I'd ask here because you guys have been doing this for a long time.
It's probably not a responsible thing to do, but I have my 401K, some stocks and only dumping a portion of my crypto holdings.
I'm sure I'm going to get a bunch of thumbs down, but I don't care. I got lucky with some investments and I'm not going to live forever. I don't have any kids and my only debt is my house so screw it.

1 week later
#12706 2 years ago

I think people fall into 2 categories. The doers and the followers. So, the motivated people are "the doers" and they get re-energized and perform. The appalled people are "the followers" and never had the gumption to perform anyways, so they bail.

From DBLM

"There have been a lot of academic and analytical papers written about this scene and how people react to it. Broadly, people fit into two categories after watching it: they are motivated beyond everything to go take the hill or they are shocked and appalled. Curious to people's reactions, particularly younger folks that probably have not seen the movie."

#12736 2 years ago

I can't believe how much some of these have fallen. Too much all at once. Hedge funds trying to create a panic sell-off?

#12823 2 years ago

I would have bought a bunch of square down around $205 if I would have seen it. It likes to use that price point as a low and rebound.

#12829 2 years ago

It's all fugly right now, I've "lost" a ton over the last 2 weeks, but am still up massively on my initial deposit last March. Hate to see the red, but looking at the positive side I still have gains.

#12847 2 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:So after today’s beatdown, you cats expect a rally tomorrow? Good time to buy? I see Tesla went down pretty good but maybe tech stocks are gonna be sad for a while now?

Rolling-Dice-2 (resized).jpgRolling-Dice-2 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#13005 2 years ago

Why do you think this?

Quoted from kvan99:

Edit: Stock tip for next week: GE

2 weeks later
#13225 2 years ago

Any guesstimates on how far WKHS is gonna run?

3 weeks later
#13661 2 years ago

I have some larger positions in CCL and NCLH. I see CCL is looking to raise a little more funds and the price has dropped. I'm thinking of scooping more up but am unsure at the moment. Buy now or look for it to drop a couple bucks yet? iceman44 DBLM

1 week later
#13769 2 years ago

Looking for some help/info. Lots of you guys have access to more detailed charts and better info then the general public (me).

My wife left her previous employer in 2019, it was a bank. Most of the employees were/are unhappy and management didn't seem to be making good decisions.

Current and former employees of said bank anticipated it being bought out. We just were informed today that a individual/group made a large share purchase and they are known for "rearranging" management, making the company better and then selling them off.

Can someone find out the details or who made this large share purchase on or around 6/27? The ticker is CVLY

May be a good investment if there is going to be more upside?

Screenshot_20210707-151542_TD Ameritrade Mobile (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210707-151542_TD Ameritrade Mobile (resized).jpg
#13771 2 years ago

Thanks for looking into it and trying. Appreciate it DBLM.

#13862 2 years ago

QYLD...anybody still in this fund? How has it been treating you? Seriously thinking about parking a chunk of money in it for monthly income.

#13873 2 years ago

"Anyone still holding GNOG?"

Yes. I'm gonna buy some more again when it dips to $11/share.

#13874 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

I had not heard of QYLD before, so had to check it out. This article seemed pretty well written, https://seekingalpha.com/article/4435641-nusi-vs-qyld-retiree-conundrum

Thank you. Informative article.

#13879 2 years ago

TME might be worth a quick look for you guys. Not recommending it, as I haven't dived into it, but saw a headline today about a possible 30% upside.

#13940 2 years ago

It'll bounce back next week. Another head fake....

#13941 2 years ago

SABR? Still holding this @ DBLM? Dropped pretty far, kind of looking like a buy right now.

#13970 2 years ago

Damn, this market is killing me the last 2 weeks or so. Guessing we are gonna have the covid drop again. 2nd chance at buying in low?

#14103 2 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

In hindsight, yet once again.
Should have backed up a truck on monday.

Right? I wish I had moved more money and loaded up on my CCL and NCLH! Could have turned about a 10k profit in a few days.

#14105 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Hey, these are aging well. I guess a broke clock is right every once in a while.

I was going to ask you what price point was a solid entry level into those 2.

#14111 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Check out PINS ah on Snap earnings

Dejavu.....seems like we saw this story play out a few months ago. Guessing wait for the pullback to buy in again.

#14169 2 years ago

I sold my apple for a little over $148/share in the last week. Figured it would pull back again and I can buy at another discount. We will see.

#14215 2 years ago

What's the hot buy today? Sold off most of the daytrade stocks in our IRA's so I'm ready to buy the next round.

#14238 2 years ago

Looks like a bunch of downgrades on PINS. This is the same cycle for PINS, up big then down big. The downs are getting more extreme though. I think we are going to see it fall further into the 40's.

#14253 2 years ago

Just looking at the previous cycles and taking a stab at that being correct. We broke through the support in the mid 60's and went into the 50's. Now they had a bunch of downgrades and I am waiting to see if it drops to the 40's before buying in again.

#14262 2 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Damn, people have a serious case of sand in their neither regions. Everybody take a deep breath and go back to their corners. Personal attacks are not needed.

Agreed. While everyone may not care how others carry themselves, we are all trying to contribute and have open discussions on how to make money. It's all a common goal. It's a damn investing thread, how does drama keep popping up in it? Can't anything be drama free anymore?

1 week later
#14544 2 years ago

Unless you absolutely LOVE the job you have, I would walk away/retire. You are able to do what most people DREAM of doing but are unable to. 6 million in the bank? Yeah, no 2nd thoughts here, I would be gone. Congratulations, well done.

Quoted from Anubis330:

I'm not the most stock savvy fella so I'm curious to what you think. In my industry the lack of employees has been a concern for the last 10-15yrs. It has gotten to the point where I can offer good wages, 10k in bonuses, $500 clothing allowance, health care, profit sharing (last year was %15) and a newly remodeled 2 bedroom apt rent and utility free and still no one to hire. Thus, I'm thinking about cashing out. I can put 6mil in the bank after taxes. I'm 45 and my house is paid for, I have zero debt and live in Ohio which is inexpensive compared to most of the country. What are your thoughts . Fyi, If I walk away I would prefer not to work any longer. What are your thoughts???

#14545 2 years ago

I'm also very curious as to what line of work you are in? I realize everyone is struggling to find employees nowadays, but the benefits you mentioned are incredible and you still can't find anybody? Dangerous life threatening work?

2 months later
#15152 2 years ago

Average volume day 28 million. Today's volume 290 million. Sell.

Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I spoke too soon. Up 40% for the day...

2 months later
#15673 2 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:Happy 2022 y'all! You know... since the Millennial generation is so much larger than Gen X, it could bring a rising tide of investment inflows which lifts all of our boats...
...as long as we haven't melted the atmosphere by then. :/

Quoted from TigerLaw:

And then where do you put the cashed in chips? Also a challenging decision… Gold, real estate, some other type of asset?

These........times have changed drastically. No more decent paying interest rates for savings accounts and safe non volatile places for your money. How else do you build wealth now if you aren't putting it to work in the market?

The bigger the human population, the more money is going to flow in the market.

With ever changing outlooks by people and how long they want to work/retire early, I think we keep seeing higher and higher savings and investing rates.

2 weeks later
#15938 2 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I sure hope Boeing works out for you. It's been a big disappointment for me.

Boeing just went from like $189/share to $229/share in a few weeks? How is it disappointing? It's coming back down again and it's time to buy some more.

1 week later
#15995 2 years ago

Was it a buy on confidence in the company or they sold it short and are now covering the shares?

Quoted from kvan99:

Hmm...Insider buying: Reed Hastings Purchases $20 Million Worth Of Netflix stock after Ackman buy. It's a good signal to pick up some NFLX.
Also NVDA closed above the 200 SMA....bullish sign[quoted image]

2 months later
#16453 2 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

So time to take the L on pins? Any reason to kept holding or just move on?

Why take the loss now? If you hold till the end of the year, you run a chance it may go up, and if it doesn't, then just sell for a loss then and get the tax break against your gains.

5 months later
#17537 1 year ago

It's always manipulation. Small guys are just along for the ride.

2 weeks later
#17630 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

And... the market makes no sense. After unsurprisingly crashing 600 points at open after the hot CPI data, it has rallied back into 600 point positive territory. Anyone have a crystal ball I can borrow?
Dollar Cost Average...

Artificial bump up. It will drop back down today or into close tomorrow.

2 months later
#18289 1 year ago

Boeing. Time to sell or hold? Had a nice run up, more to go or will it reverse?

#18303 1 year ago

I sold mine today and bought some Disney with a 1/3 of the proceeds. Guaranteed BA is gonna go higher now!

Quoted from kvan99:

Well, it really depends on this "Waiting on Godot" recession thing. If (or I should say when) it arrives it will dent everything, travel sector won't be spared. The military side of Boeing is ok but not what drives the stock. So we have one more catalyst in the pipe, it's the Air India order which is supposedly huge. After that the 737 Max cockpit alerting system waiver... (which made the stock pop today, it was attached to a omnibus spending bill) it will boost it one more time a bit when the bill passes. I'm guessing we'll see low 200's, perhaps as high as 220 or 225 before they knock it down again.

1 week later
#18367 1 year ago

Isn't this trying to time the market?

Isn't it already on sale? I mean it dropped $40-$50 share already.

What's your back up the truck price then?

Quoted from iceman44:

Me too. Crazy. Only a handful.
They don’t seem to care. They do love Apple.
This reminds me of 2018. Apple will come out 1st week of Jan and pre announce a miss due to China supply chain.
Tim Cook will say “we have a lot of levers to pull on”.
On that next flush, if it happens, then I’ll back it up again.
Don’t trade Apple. Own it. And buy more when it goes on sale.

1 month later
#18744 1 year ago

Never! I always enjoy reading your posts. It's a lot to take in and digest. Your effort does not go unappreciated.

Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

I feel like I am wasting time here, but that’s ok for a little longer at least.

1 year later
#20632 49 days ago

Doesn't that strike you as odd? Something has to be off. Why would you offer a dividend paying more than the share price?

Quoted from nwpinball:

MEDS announced this morning an $8 a share dividend for people holding it's stock March 18, 2024, with the payout scheduled for March 22, 2024. It started the day at around $11 a share, so of course it's skyrocketing. Weird move. But I bought a quick 200 shares at $13.60 to see what happens, currently up 27% and rising...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
$ 12.95

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DadofTwins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders?tu=DadofTwins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.