New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 175889)

Stock Market Traders?

By kpg

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5,896 posts
  • 328 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by Bospins
  • Topic is favorited by 160 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 334 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
    B89F269F-C46F-40C5-AE4C-181976788587 (resized).jpeg
    patriot.gif
    20201120_173001 (resized).jpg
    original_258137496 (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 10.39.54 AM (resized).png
    tdoc (resized).JPG
    80ac6c6e8ec0a109316e09e9bea3570c.gif
    I-am-rich-floyd-mayweather-throwing-money.gif
    C88D47F0-041A-4A46-B4C5-125711C7605A (resized).png
    nathan-fillion.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    cEKRbMz.gif
    sell (resized).JPG
    E177DDBA-88C5-4FB5-B34C-FD3137EFED6A (resized).png
    200w.gif

There are 5896 posts in this topic. You are on page 99 of 118.
    #4901 80 days ago
    Quoted from Barakawins1:

But with mutual funds you can't pull out of them without penalty right?

Is it a retirement account?

At the moment due to covid you can pull funds from retirement without the 10% penalty... but still have to pay taxes on anything that was tax deferred

In my case I threw a bunch of money that was stuck in an IRA into apple a few years ago and I am tempted to take it out so i can use it elsewhere and its not stuck there.

I am up so much in that account that I dont care about paying the taxes and not getting clipped for 10% saves me a bunch also.

Ask ur accountant... may vary depending on the type of plan you are stuck in.

#4902 80 days ago
    Quoted from Barakawins1:

Thanks Blackbeard. I'm starting to get discouraged with stocks.

Look into vanguard's target date funds. I own a lot of their 2045 fund. Meaning i'm targeting 2045 for retiring. That may or may not be when i retire. But the fund is designed to be more stock based in the beginning of the term towards 2045, then taper off into more bond funds towards the end date. More risky (stock) in the beginning, then more bond/safe in the end.

I may look into a 2055 fund next.

#4903 80 days ago

Be careful with mutuals and the fees associated with them. Fees can and will definitely eat into your gains. I have a mix of mutuals and stocks and you will definitely get better returns from stocks. However, it does require you to be more active in tracking the stocks and keeping up with things. If you are not going to be more active with your investments (tracking things more on a daily basis, reading blogs, keeping up with trends, etc), then mutuals are your better bet. Just watch your fees. They are deceptively high.

#4904 80 days ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Just watch your fees. They are deceptively high.

They're really not though. And some have no loads. Vanguard is one. The one's that do have fees are generally based upon the size of the account. But you're right, they do add up. I have about $160k in edward jones. Every month (i believe), about $98 is taken out. However, its a small price to pay for having funds managed and increase in value. So where i may gain $7-8k in a month, i'll gladly pay $98 bucks, as without it, i'd be flying solo and making crappy trades, as i'm not an expert.

And honestly, i'd rather pay them and have market analysis experts buying/selling my stocks than myself.

To each their own i suppose..

#4905 80 days ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

And honestly, i'd rather pay them and have market analysis experts buying/selling my stocks than myself.

I tried that and my account went sideways for years... took it over myself and more then doubled it. lol

"expert" is all relative these days.

#4906 80 days ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

I tried that and my account went sideways for years... took it over myself and more then doubled it. lol
    "expert" is all relative these days.

I'd say you're an outlier then.

Who was your account with?

#4907 80 days ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

I'd say you're an outlier then.
    Who was your account with?

Company called Payne capital out of NY... to be fair to them this was when the market was pretty much rolling sideways and well before the current crazy bizarre market where a chimp could make money.

But yah they werent able to do much of anything but charge me fees so I fired them.

#4908 80 days ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

They're really not though. And some have no loads. Vanguard is one. The one's that do have fees are generally based upon the size of the account. But you're right, they do add up. I have about $160k in edward jones. Every month (i believe), about $98 is taken out. However, its a small price to pay for having funds managed and increase in value. So where i may gain $7-8k in a month, i'll gladly pay $98 bucks, as without it, i'd be flying solo and making crappy trades, as i'm not an expert.

I would expect that you are paying more in fees than what you think. Here are two good articles that talk about how fees can be deceptive.

https://danielsolin.com/fees-can-be-deceptive/
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/kennethkim/2016/09/24/how-much-do-mutual-funds-really-cost/#403cf00da527

Also, I would be careful about Target Date Funds and making sure that you are getting what you really think you are getting. Keep in mind that these types of offerings and others are mostly packaging and marketing. You get convenience, but are you really getting the best product? In a lot of cases, you are better to just buy a no load index fund. Check out this other article about Target Date Funds.
    https://www.investopedia.com/articles/retirement/07/life_cycle.asp

At the end of the day, there are no free rides in making money in the markets and you have to pay to play, one way or another. Brokers are a great asset but keep in mind, they are still sales people. Fiduciaries are great, but you are still paying for them as well. And advice on the internet is worth the paper it is written on

#4909 80 days ago

Xspa look into it.
    They are on the road to 15 min Covid testing in airports and expanding!
    Very cheap at $1.79

#4910 80 days ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Also, I would be careful about Target Date Funds and making sure that you are getting what you really think you are getting. Keep in mind that these types of offerings and others are mostly packaging and marketing. You get convenience, but are you really getting the best product? In a lot of cases, you are better to just buy a no load index fund. Check out this other article about Target Date Funds.

target funds do very well.

I can tell you this, my 2045 account was opened in 2016 with the sale of 2 pins for $6500. I've added $200/week to it since and it is now over 70k.

You can look at how these funds perform on Vanguards page.

#4911 80 days ago

Mutual funds aren’t going to make you wealthy. Warren Buffet says you should double your money every 7 years. The Vanguard 2045 fund was 10 bucks in 2005. Factor in some Buffet logic and it should be over $40 now. It’s not (only around $25). The real money is picking a winner in the early stages like a Amazon or Apple. To be honest, Vanguard did about the same as the S&P 500 in the same time period.

#4912 80 days ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

And advice on the internet is worth the paper it is written on

This ^^ is good.

#4913 80 days ago

I would advise against target funds unless you really just want to be total "couch potato" don't think about it investing.

You have to be much more targeted on bond yields these days and where to get return versus just a target fund approach.

Go to Vanguard and pick one of their "allocation models" based on your risk tolerance level, age etc.

That's just me, i don't like target funds. I want to be a little more strategic these days, even with fixed income.

#4914 80 days ago
    Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Mutual funds aren’t going to make you wealthy. Warren Buffet says you should double your money every 7 years. The Vanguard 2045 fund was 10 bucks in 2005. Factor in some Buffet logic and it should be over $40 now. It’s not (only around $25). The real money is picking a winner in the early stages like a Amazon or Apple. To be honest, Vanguard did about the same as the S&P 500 in the same time period.

100% disagree. I'd love to know what your definition of "wealthy" is.

Not everyone can go all in with millions on one stock like Buffett can.

#4915 80 days ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I would advise against target funds unless you really just want to be total "couch potato" don't think about it investing.

Nothing wrong with this. Most people who invest are.

#4916 80 days ago

As for "the market". I really don't get the big deal of being up 100% on many stocks and then getting a 10-15% pullback.

CNBC trots out the doom and gloom naysayers every single time as they root for the "dummy" Robin Hood investors to get taken down.

Buy and hold, and then buy more of what you like when it goes on sale. Buy when others are fearful and sell some when others are greedy.

When things got ahead of itself, and they did on tech and growth, it was a good time to trim positions and build some cash for the sell-off.

I'm buying more DOCU and PINS today. For the LONG TERM

Look forward to second half of 2021.

Btw, you saw how CCL, MAC and other "blown out" in the ditch stocks performed during the mini sell off.

#4917 80 days ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Not me, brother. I take my finances very seriously and treat it with the same diligence as I do my job. At the end of the day, nobody has the same focus on my financial well being as I do.

#4918 80 days ago

Stocks are simply fun. I keep much much more in very low cost index funds like the Schwab SWPPX and Schwab SWTSX.

#4919 80 days ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

I didn't say anything was wrong with it. I think there is a better way for "couch potato" to get some alpha and tactical with Vanguard while still sitting on the couch.

The best thing you have done is adding $200 per week, dollar cost averaging, and power of compounding.

You might call Vanguard and ask for advice. I think it costs 30 basis annually. Full disclosure, my daughter is a CFP and works at Vanguard.

#4920 80 days ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

target funds do very well.
    I can tell you this, my 2045 account was opened in 2016 with the sale of 2 pins for $6500. I've added $200/week to it since and it is now over 70k.
    You can look at how these funds perform on Vanguards page.

I am glad that you are having success with them. As Ice says, I think there are better strategies out there. At the end of the day, you have to do what is comfortable to you and your risk profile.

#4921 80 days ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

I am glad that you are having success with them. As Ice says, I think there are better strategies out there. At the end of the day, you have to do what is comfortable to you and your risk profile.

Honestly they work great for me. I have a busy job and i don't have time to watch markets, etc.

Then again, I have time to post on PS.

#4922 80 days ago

Your

Quoted from Blackbeard:

100% disagree. I'd love to know what your definition of "wealthy" is.
    Not everyone can go all in with millions on one stock like Buffett can.

You’re missing my point. An average investor should be able to double their wealth in 7 years. Buffet did and does. You can buy Berkshire and be better off than Vanguard 2045. Just don’t sell yourself short. There is Money to be made. Why not make more of it....

#4923 80 days ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Full disclosure, my daughter is a CFP and works at Vanguard.

My brother is an in-house lawyer for Vanguard. Small world..

#4924 80 days ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Honestly they work great for me. I have a busy job and i don't have time to watch markets, etc.
    Then again, I have time to post on PS.

Glad they work for you and congrats on the gains. I work 55-60 hours a week plus and still make the time to follow the markets. Because it is that important to me and my family's financial freedom. I'm not saying that everybody should become as smart and savy as Ice is (it is his job, after all) or get as deep into it as I have, but everybody should pay attention to the markets and take a more active role in their investments and financial position. We do not teach financial literacy in this country, which is a shame. I encourage everybody to spend at least 10 mins a day (which is nothing) to see what is going on in the financial world. It will make you a smarter, more savvy investor, and better position you to make better decisions.

#4925 80 days ago

Sad that I decided to put more into Tesla have a very bad feeling on this one

#4926 80 days ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Anytime you sell a fund with a gain, you pay tax, if that's what you mean. Same with individual stocks. However, some places will charge a fee for their services.. like Edward Jones. I pay a fee there for basically experts to manage my funds. So it's worth it imo.
    IDK, not criticizing anyone. I used to do the individual stock thing via scottrade years ago, but if you really wanna invest, look into mutual funds and other products.

Buy and hold forever baby. I’ll worry about the costs when my taxes come in

#4927 80 days ago

Your

You’re missing my point. An average investor should be able to double their wealth in 7 years. Buffet did and does. You can buy Berkshire and be better off than Vanguard 2045. Just don’t sell yourself short. There is Money to be made. Why not make more of it....

Vanguard has a great history and I subscribe to the Boglehead theory myself. I keep 95% of my value with index funds of different sorts. You're right, there is $ to be made, but there is also money to be lost.

#4928 80 days ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Vanguard has a great history and I subscribe to the Boglehead theory myself. I keep 95% of my value with index funds of different sorts. You're right, there is $ to be made, but there is also money to be lost.

I am preaching to the choir here but...

Rule of 72 states that your money will double in value in roughly 72 divided by the interest rate years. At a 7% return, this would imply money doubling every 10 years and at 10% this would imply money doubling every 7 years.

Past performance is no guarantee of future success but you can look at the historical performance of any mutual fund out there over a 1,5,10 year period... whatever.

In theory, all you would have to do is selevt mutual funds that hit 10% average interest over the past 10 years and you would double your money every 7 years in accordance with Buffets ideals. Easy right?

The problem is, the higher the return (on average) the higher the risk and the bigger the swings.

I personally believe index funds and mutual funds are a safer play that individual stocks as there is instant diversification (of a sort) in every fund.

I believe that a mix of mutual funds/index funds and individual stocks is the way to go. I love picking stocks (it's fun) and have had much bigger swings in my stock market account than in my mutual funds. Looking back, my mutual funds have doubled in value at between 5 and 7 years (markets been nuts) in my adult lifetime. I am doing much better in my mutual funds than in my individual stocks over time. As such, I personally keep my 401k money in mutual funds, while keeping my IRA money in stocks. This forces about an 80% mutual fund 20% stock fund split at any given time. If I lose my butt on stocks it sucks, but it's not going to keep me working forever.

However, I think we can all agree that 1 investment appreciates more than any other in this day and age, and that is a solid portfolio of 5+ year old pinball machines that we can play and then sell at cost at worst. I recommend diversification between as many manufacturers as possible (not you Hopepin).

Pinball... that's why we're here... pinball.

#4929 80 days ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

My brother is an in-house lawyer for Vanguard. Small world..

Which office? Scottsdale?

Let me say this for anyone mentioning mutual funds, Edward Jones etc., GET OUT and buy the same objective low cost ETF for 10x less the cost, more or less.

Fees matter, especially in BOND FUNDS that generate nothing!

I don't manage bonds for my clients for that very reason. It's not fair for them. Unless its short term like VGSH.

#4930 80 days ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Let me say this for anyone mentioning mutual funds, Edward Jones etc., GET OUT and buy the same objective low cost ETF for 10x less the cost, more or less.
    Fees matter, especially in BOND FUNDS that generate nothing!
    I don't manage bonds for my clients for that very reason. It's not fair for them. Unless its short term like VGSH.

ETFs > Mutual funds, can be traded faster than mutual funds, and are all around better investments. However, many of us working schmucks are forced into mutual funds through employer sponsored 401ks that don't offer other investment options.

#4931 80 days ago
    Quoted from sataneatscheese:

ETFs > Mutual funds, can be traded faster than mutual funds, and are all around better investments. However, many of us working schmucks are forced into mutual funds through employer sponsored 401ks that don't offer other investment options.

This type of shit is ridiculous.

My girlfriend is a teacher and not only does she have to put money into her retirement (no choice they just take it out) but she has an extremely limited range of options to invest in.

They are all very risk averse so pretty much goes nowhere...

#4932 80 days ago

My girlfriend is a teacher and not only does she have to put money into her retirement (no choice they just take it out) but she has an extremely limited range of options to invest in.

I’ve seen plenty of companies do that and it does sucks. The best you can usually do is put your money in a S&P fund and let it ride. It seems all the crappy offerings at least have a S&P fund.

#4933 80 days ago

Yup., I try to highlight this to individuals who look at jobs in Engineering. The 401k options matter and the ability to have flexibility even outside of matching. Most don't understand this especially being so young. Once I explain they get it.

#4934 80 days ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Valley Forge

#4935 80 days ago
    Quoted from sataneatscheese:

I get it. 401k platforms are getting better and better all the time, with lower cost etf's and broader selections and the ability to self direct in some cases i've seen.

It's the way it should be pursuant to the "fiduciary duty rule". Problem is the "best interests" of the client don't have to be followed as long as you disclose in the fine print how these mutual fund companies make more money for themselves and their shareholders.

Read the fine print of an Edward Jones or Ameriprise statement to name a few. Or go to SEC.GOV and look at the amount of complaints, fines and legal settlements.

Plus, in addition to the higher fees, you have ZERO control over taxes with a mutual fund in a "taxable account" and if you are trying to get out on a volatile day the mutual fund doesn't settle until the END of the day.

And ETF of course trades like a stock and YOU control the tax consequences of buying and selling.

#4936 80 days ago

Hey Iceman44 - Do you still have a warm fuzzy about RKT and MAC? Both are out of my comfort zone but both seem to be at or approaching buy zones.

#4937 79 days ago

so what is the consensus on apple? Hold?

#4938 79 days ago

be at or approaching buy zones.

Mad_Dog_con_op what does this statement mean? sorry new to this lingo

#4939 79 days ago
    Quoted from Barakawins1:

Mad_Dog_con_op what does this statement mean? sorry new to this lingo

Just simply that they have pulled back enough that the purchase price is looking attractive again.

#4940 79 days ago

For what it is worth, I bought another good whack of RKT on Friday. I had sold 1/3 last week when we were at 32.61, and went and bought more ( a bigger tranche than I sold) at 24.47.

#4941 79 days ago

ust simply that they have pulled back enough that the purchase price is looking attractive again.

Gotcha. Thanks for the explanation

#4942 79 days ago
    Quoted from delt31:so what is the consensus on apple? Hold?

I bailed 100% and took my profit and will sit it out unless it tanks pretty hard.

Look where it was in March (last time I grabbed some)... its had a crazy run up.

I dont think its tanking that hard but I could see under $100 without too much trouble.

#4943 79 days ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

For what it is worth, I bought another good whack of RKT on Friday. I had sold 1/3 last week when we were at 32.61, and went and bought more ( a bigger tranche than I sold) at 24.47.

The Susquehanna note on RKT did have a nugget or two that has been basically my position on the stock from the beginning. Valuations north of $25 really only make sense if it is evaluated as a tech company as opposed to a mortgage company.

Obviously they lean hard on traditional mortgage company angle. I find the tech argument more persuasive, but am concerned enough to put my tech money elsewhere for now. Definitely watching with lots of interest.

More power to DBLM and others that are playing in this space. I am cheering for you from the sidelines.

#4944 79 days ago
    Quoted from Oaken:

The Susquehanna note on RKT did have a nugget or two that has been basically my position on the stock from the beginning. Valuations north of $25 really only make sense if it is evaluated as a tech company as opposed to a mortgage company.
    Obviously they lean hard on traditional mortgage company angle. I find the tech argument more persuasive, but am concerned enough to put my tech money elsewhere for now. Definitely watching with lots of interest.
    More power to DBLM and others that are playing in this space. I am cheering for you from the sidelines.

My thesis on RKT has always been that of a Fintech company. They are getting into other lending areas (personal loans, etc) and their secret sauce is that they have built a technological platform that makes lending easier than competitors. They are already the #1 lender in the US, and I expect that to grow.

#4945 79 days ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Buy and hold forever baby. I’ll worry about the costs when my taxes come in

We all wish it was that simple. I have list of stocks I rode down to 0 because of a misguided idea they would bounce again. A stock that was $10 but is now at $5 only needs to go up $1 to gain +20% Put in your stops.

#4947 79 days ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

We all wish it was that simple. I have list of stocks I rode down to 0 because of a misguided idea they would bounce again. A stock that was $10 but is now at $5 only needs to go up $1 to gain +20% Put in your stops.

Buy the right stocks

“Be quick to sell your losers and let your winners run”

80% of gains will come from 20% of your stocks

#4948 79 days ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Buy the right stocks
    “Be quick to sell your losers and let your winners run”
    80% of gains will come from 20% of your stocks

ICE- What you think about OXY long term?
    Buy now, hold till next summer so to speak?
    Thanks

#4949 79 days ago

Appl will be interesting since all I have heard over the last few months is no one cares about hardware and the phone cycle anymore.... the iphone cycle is a thing of the past blah blah. Its all about services and the app store etc etc etc

That being said the stock always seems to be looking for any excuse to run up so why not 4G?

Its as good a reason as anything else in bizarro world.

#4950 79 days ago

Appl will be interesting since all I have heard over the last few months is no one cares about hardware and the phone cycle anymore.... the iphone cycle is a thing of the past blah blah. Its all about services and the app store etc etc etc
    That being said the stock always seems to be looking for any excuse to run up so why not 4G?
    Its as good a reason as anything else in bizarro world.

I’m upgrading my Iwatch next week with the new one. I see tremendous growth in that product.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Williamson Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 40.00
    Lighting - Other
    Funhouse Custom Lamp Out of stock
    Professor Pinball
    $ 17.99
    Playfield - Decals
    Lermods
    $ 109.99
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 209.99
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 26.95
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Various Novelties
    GC Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    € 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Creo Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 6.00
    There are 5896 posts in this topic. You are on page 99 of 118.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside