IMG_3037 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7658 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240226-151719 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240226-151210 (resized).png
IMG_1493 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0470 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 20,829 posts in this topic. You are on page 98 of 417.
#4851 3 years ago

Ice is right. I bought some RKT and AMZN around noon today. I will take these easy drops as opportunities to rebuy.

#4852 3 years ago

bought some GRVY @ $84.95 this morning

#4853 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Ice is right. I bought some RKT and AMZN around noon today. I will take these easy drops as opportunities to rebuy.

Also initiated a position in AMZN. 1/3rd today and will buy the rest of my allocation if it continues to go down.

Buckle up.

#4854 3 years ago

From what I'm reading, what's been happening the last few weeks in these tech stocks is this:

There's massive upside call buying to the tune of hundreds of billions of dollars by some big players. In order to cover those calls, dealers are forced to buy the stock forcing prices to rise exponentially. Then more call buying forces more share buying. The tail is wagging the dog. It's basically a high stakes game of musical chairs. When the music stops, the drop could be stunning.

This is why the VIX is at record highs for a market high. The only comparable time period to these VIX levels at all time highs was 1999-2000.

I know it sounds crazy looking at current prices, but Apple could go back to 80 quite easily. That's 320 pre-split, which is just levels from 2 months ago. It started the year at about 75 split-adjusted.

#4855 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

From what I'm reading, what's been happening the last few weeks in these tech stocks is this:
There's massive upside call buying to the tune of hundreds of billions of dollars by some big players. In order to cover those calls, dealers are forced to buy the stock forcing prices to rise exponentially. Then more call buying forces more share buying. The tail is wagging the dog. It's basically a high stakes game of musical chairs. When the music stops, the drop could be stunning.
This is why the VIX is at record highs for a market high. The only comparable time period to these VIX levels at all time highs was 1999-2000.
I know it sounds crazy looking at current prices, but Apple could go back to 80 quite easily. That's 320 pre-split, which is just levels from 2 months ago. It started the year at about 75 split-adjusted.

Go ahead and short Apple and see how that works out

There are plenty of better candidates if you believe tech is overvalued like I do in some names

Fortunes have been lost betting against Apple while fortunes have been made betting on

Valuation is catching up to where it should be for 2021

#4856 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

There are plenty of better candidates if you believe tech is overvalued like I do in some names
Fortunes have been lost betting against Apple while fortunes have been made betting on

I never said anything about shorting. I said wait to buy until it returns to where it broke out of its range. That's technical trading 101.

I did sell Apple puts today when it was at 114 that expired today. That was free money.

#4857 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

I never said anything about shorting. I said wait to buy until it returns to where it broke out of its range. That's technical trading 101.
I did sell Apple puts today when it was at 114 that expired today. That was free money.

If you believe in that technical retracement 101 then short it now and buy it then

I’ve heard that same BS since Jan of 2019

The fundamentals have changed and so has the future, dramatically

So many better options

Apple is NOT going back to $75 regardless of who gets elected unless we end up in a depression

NOT happening. And the Fed says so. Don’t fight it

#4858 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Apple is NOT going back to $75 regardless of who gets elected unless we end up in a depression

Dude, we are in a depression. A huge portion of the economy, travel, tourism, dine in restaurants, all a shadow of their former business output.

Apple certainly has been a good business, and it’s doing smart things, but smartphone saturation is here and people are keeping their devices longer. And I have to imagine that lots of people are holding back on computers and other tech purchases due to job loss or other issues. Even the best names can get pummeled due to larger economic forces.

#4859 3 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Dude, we are in a depression. A huge portion of the economy, travel, tourism, dine in restaurants, all a shadow of their former business output.
Apple certainly has been a good business, and it’s doing smart things, but smartphone saturation is here and people are keeping their devices longer. And I have to imagine that lots of people are holding back on computers and other tech purchases due to job loss or other issues. Even the best names can get pummeled due to larger economic forces.

Sorry Dude, but we are NOT in a depression. No idea what world reality you are living in

I’ve said since June “in the ditch”. It’s a market of stocks.

Tech and healthcare succeeding tremendously while other sectors have suffered greatly.

Once again, CCL, MAC, SPG etc etc all selling at huge discounts will rally again once the vaccine is announced and before then

The list is too long to even detail the positives for Apple and other growth stocks for that matter

2021 is a huge growth year. Try and look FORWARD

#4860 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

And ALWAYS consider the fundamentals before slipping into that game of marbles. AAPL is still strong if you consider the 5G frenzy alerady starting to be pushed hard by all carriers, the iPhone 12 annual upgrade which will be bigger this year due to being their first phien with the must-have 5G, and the XMAS buying season ramping up in the next 6-8 weeks...

I continue to hold and add to AAPL.

#4861 3 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Dude, consumer spending numbers were off the charts today.

New housing off the charts.

Btw, if you took the advice of “buy low” back in the 1st of April and had built up
Some huge gains maybe you wouldn’t be so negative

#4862 3 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

And ALWAYS consider the fundamentals before slipping into that game of marbles. AAPL is still strong if you consider the 5G frenzy alerady starting to be pushed hard by all carriers, the iPhone 12 annual upgrade which will be bigger this year due to being their first phien with the must-have 5G, and the XMAS buying season ramping up in the next 6-8 weeks...
I continue to hold and add to AAPL.

It’s all the multiple streams of subscription revenue they keep adding to that installed user base that keeps growing and growing

Along with AI, healthcare with wearables etc etc

Can’t value Apple on old hardware models

#4863 3 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Fact - we're not in a depression.

Simple as that.

#4864 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Went to 20% to 50% cash on Monday depending on profiles for Qualified accounts.

Appreciate the heads up.

#4865 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Fact - we're not in a depression.
Simple as that.

Not a depression but a big have and have nots gap expanding.

#4866 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Appreciate the heads up.

I put it in my commentary email last week.

Sorry but i had to cut that off to people i don't know because of one jackass on here.

And I can't post it here because it would get moderated of course.

#4867 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Not a depression but a big have and have nots gap expanding.

Positive jobs report again today DC thankfully. Unemployment back in single digits.

World getting back to work despite what you hear on the doom and gloom media.

After the vaccine, 2021 is setting up for a HUGE growth year and going back to best economy ever and highest employment amongst all ethnic groups along with rising wages for the middle class.

I realize it requires people to think forward but that has to happen.

#4868 3 years ago

Bet against this market at your peril. The old rules have changed. This market requires you to be attuned to what is going on, nimble in your actions, and having fortitude.

#4869 3 years ago

Tesla not being accepted into the S&P......but etsy? Crazy

#4870 3 years ago

Ice has been and still on to something.

Folks did well if they bought or held over the last 5 months when other folks were scared to hold or buy anything at all, but it wasn’t easy for those who did with all that was going on - lots of risk. If you missed the tech pop up you can now buy into REITs, Banks, Hotels, Airlines etc for a shot at some nice gains, but guess what? Buying those isn’t easy for those who do with all that is going on - lots of risk. It’s the same story second time around. What are you gonna do?? Buying anything this year wasn’t easy for sure and likely won’t be the rest of the year.

I am adjusting to 2021 - sold off 15% of my tech stocks as things got too hot Wednesday and added more comeback stocks SPG, WYNN, STOR, USB, MAC etc over 2 days and on Friday I did manage to buy back full positions of LVGO, FSLY, RKT at 15%-25% less then what I sold them for two days ago too. Added more AMZN late morning today also.

Still have cash on the side. I have had great gains this year with 20%+ Cash on the side most of the time. Aggressive, higher growth stocks with cash on the side is superior to having a 100% stock diversified portfolio. We saw that this year with the Nasdaq 100 vs the SaP 500 and last, 3,5,10 years also for that matter. Having and managing cash this year has been more important than any time since 2009.

I think at this time if you want to get in I would add comeback stocks now and positions in Tech during sell offs as folks switch over to comebacks as things get better. Don’t run out and buy AMZN at $3500 no!, but be reasonable and start adding positions if it’s under say $3200 now, hold for years and there is a high chance you won’t regret it. Don’t say I will buy AMZN when it goes back to $1700 or less. If it goes lower than $1700 that will mean that it split. And you will miss out.

Comeback stocks for mid term, but Hold for tech for long term with whatever amount cash on the side to make you feel good may be the best mix to be in. Find a way to get there.

Good luck!

#4871 3 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Those of us who are working from home these days, have a lot of extra income each paycheck that we are not spending on commuting, vacations or going out (restaurants, theaters, bars, etc). I've seen a lot of my neighbors putting money into their homes (indoor and outdoor renovations). I'd also bet that a lot of that newly discovered income is being put into speculating on stocks. Er, I mean "investing"...

Everyone seems to have an opinion on which direction the stock markets are going to go. For every "expert", "sage" or "wonk" who says it's on a trajectory for unparalleled heights, there's one who's saying the opposite.

Stock Market Crash 2.0: A Perfect Storm Is Brewing
https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/09/05/stock-market-crash-20-a-perfect-storm-is-brewing/
- The author brings up (his opinion of) the signs that the market is due for a correction (decline in buybacks & dividends, virus's continuing negative effect on consumption/jobs/housing/loan defaults/etc)

And there's gold-bug Peter Schiff who predicted the last bubble's end. Will lightning strike twice?
https://www.schiffradio.com/did-biggest-bubble-ever-just-pop/

An interesting question is do average investors actually move the market or is it the whales like Softbank?

#4872 3 years ago
Quoted from BobSacamano:

An interesting question is do average investors actually move the market or is the whales like Softbank?

The Softbank option buying was what I was referring to yesterday in post 4854. They're the main driver of the vertical movement the last few weeks.

#4873 3 years ago

I get that Apple stock makes you money, but from an ethical standpoint they're a shitty company. From dodging taxes, suicide nets at their foreign sweatshops, monopolistic app store, refusal to aid law enforcement, purposeful degredation of battery life to spur phone obsolescence, not to mention Steve Jobs was a shitty human person.

They sell overpriced smartphones to hipsters and grandmas/children who don't know any better.

But people like to trade their stock I guess...

#4874 3 years ago
Quoted from BobSacamano:

But people like to trade their stock I guess...

Well, when trading stocks (as this thread was for discussing) I don't think many consider the ethics of the company. It's just numbers. Buy low, sell high, goodbye...

If you're investing for long term, sure, you can consult your inner conscience and factor that in to your decision making. I admit to doing that recently when considering some dividend/income stocks like Altria. But I think if you really dive into the ethics of almost any profitable company these days you can find questionable practices. Businesses that make more money tend to do it by cutting labor costs, buying out competition (and maybe a politician or two), avoiding taxes, etc. Like it or not it's just American capitalism. That's probably not worth further discussion here though, IMO...

Is anyone else buying some high yielding dividend stocks while they're still down? Made some long positions recently in financials like PRU and IVZ, REITs like WPC and CTRE, and some gas/oil distribution like HESM and EPD.

#4875 3 years ago
Quoted from ReplayRyan:

Well, when trading stocks (as this thread was for discussing) I don't think many consider the ethics of the company. It's just numbers. Buy low, sell high, goodbye...
If you're investing for long term, sure, you can consult your inner conscience and factor that in to your decision making. I admit to doing that recently when considering some dividend/income stocks like Altria. But I think if you really dive into the ethics of almost any profitable company these days you can find questionable practices. Businesses that make more money tend to do it by cutting labor costs, buying out competition (and maybe a politician or two), avoiding taxes, etc. Like it or not it's just American capitalism. That's probably not worth further discussion here though, IMO...
Is anyone else buying some high yielding dividend stocks while they're still down? Made some long positions recently in financials like PRU and IVZ, REITs like WPC and CTRE, and some gas/oil distribution like HESM and EPD.

Yes. This little fishy has been picking up a few different REITs for the last few months. Adding a little cash from time to time and reinvesting dividends.

#4876 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Positive jobs report again today DC thankfully. Unemployment back in single digits.
World getting back to work despite what you hear on the doom and gloom media.
After the vaccine, 2021 is setting up for a HUGE growth year and going back to best economy ever and highest employment amongst all ethnic groups along with rising wages for the middle class.
I realize it requires people to think forward but that has to happen.

Donald Trump, is that you?

#4877 3 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Shit, that would be sweet!! Yo Donny, can I get some more hot stock tips, cause my portfolio is busting out!

#4878 3 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

BTW, your avatar fits your party, perfectly. Wheres the brownshirts!

#4879 3 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

4% to park it in cash is pretty darn good. I have a 403(b) where you get 3% in cash that I’ve had for 25 years and I thought that was good.

My parents were teachers and didn’t have a lot to invest but were good savers and they did buy stocks including AMZN for $50 and Apple at $8 and more at $10 and they held. Maybe instead of posting such negativity and noise spend time learning and researching ideas of where you can make more than 3% on your hard earned money. My parents did it and did well. I learned from them and you can also if you choose to. It’s up to you.

No forum snarkiness from me when I say am rooting for you to do well. I seriously am. I think that way for everyone really.

#4880 3 years ago

Ive been lurking this thread for a while... some interesting information here.

I more than doubled my investment in appl and bailed out. Missed some upside but at some point gotta cash out and hard to complain with a double up.

I had someone managing that account and it just went sideways.. fired them chucked it all in Appl and got lucky to ride it up.

Im just going to stay parked in cash.. too much weirdness around.

As long as the fed props things up its probably hard for market to crash but who knows.

We are in some kind of backwards bizarro world in so many ways.

#4881 3 years ago

Who's buying the dip today??

#4882 3 years ago

PINS is holding tough. Just won't be knocked down and keeps bouncing back.

#4883 3 years ago

Disney is doing well despite the market downturn. Streaming seems to be a big success for them.

#4884 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I put it in my commentary email last week.
Sorry but i had to cut that off to people i don't know because of one jackass on here.
And I can't post it here because it would get moderated of course.

that one jackass always ruins it for the rest of us

#4885 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

that one jackass always ruins it for the rest of us

My exact thoughts.

#4886 3 years ago

Whelp... my dumbass just jumped in on Teslas at 342.66. Don't think I'll stay in long but this looks like an opportunity to me. With all that said this is the guy who bought MAC at 10.50 and sold at 7.50 so take it for what it's worth. Bailed on most of my other REITs too.

#4887 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Whelp... my dumbass just jumped in on Teslas at 342.66.

Well hey, you're already up!

Yeah, I am re-thinking jumping in on MAC as well. I think a bunch of us jumped in on that one unfortunately. I'm still in it though, maybe it just needs more time...

#4888 3 years ago

Hmm well I just sold TSLA at $337 so will be interesting to watch. I think it has further to fall and then I’ll buy back in...

#4889 3 years ago

Its too RED man!

#4890 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Whelp... my dumbass just jumped in on Teslas at 342.66. Don't think I'll stay in long but this looks like an opportunity to me. With all that said this is the guy who bought MAC at 10.50 and sold at 7.50 so take it for what it's worth. Bailed on most of my other REITs too.

I guess if you're going to buy TSLA, the 50-day MA isn't the worst place to take a shot. I'd rather have it at the 200-day MA around 180.

#4891 3 years ago

I usually hold until there is a up swing then go after it . I’m waiting until amazon drops below 3k like 2800 then going all in

#4892 3 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I usually hold until there is a up swing then go after it . I’m waiting until amazon drops below 3k like 2800 then going all in

Sounds like a good play but I’m betting the bounce happens tomorrow. The market might start in the red but I don’t think it will close there. Amzn is a great company to pick up on any dip.

#4893 3 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I’m literally doing the same. I sold Tesla at a 1k profit and will buy back in when it bounces back. Apple has to bounce back too.

#4894 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

I guess if you're going to buy TSLA, the 50-day MA isn't the worst place to take a shot. I'd rather have it at the 200-day MA around 180.

I’d focus on how many years it’ll take TSLA to reach that valuation with a P/E below 50. There are a lot of miracles baked into even today’s price.

#4895 3 years ago

How do you guys know when to bail? When I see appreciation, I just leave it.

#4896 3 years ago

I'm hanging onto Apple at 116.00/share that I purchased. It may go down a bit but it will bounce back.

#4897 3 years ago

You guys are so much better off going the mutual fund route over individual stocks.

I've been making a killing off of a target 2045 fund of Vanguard's as of late.

#4898 3 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

ou guys are so much better off going the mutual fund route over individual stocks.

I've been making a killing off of a target 2045 fund of Vanguard's as of late.

But with mutual funds you can't pull out of them without penalty right?

#4899 3 years ago
Quoted from Barakawins1:

But with mutual funds you can't pull out of them without penalty right?

Anytime you sell a fund with a gain, you pay tax, if that's what you mean. Same with individual stocks. However, some places will charge a fee for their services.. like Edward Jones. I pay a fee there for basically experts to manage my funds. So it's worth it imo.

IDK, not criticizing anyone. I used to do the individual stock thing via scottrade years ago, but if you really wanna invest, look into mutual funds and other products.

#4900 3 years ago

Thanks Blackbeard. I'm starting to get discouraged with stocks.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 12.95
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
There are 20,829 posts in this topic. You are on page 98 of 417.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders/page/98?hl=noob-a-tron and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.