IMG_7948 (resized).jpeg
kuiil-have-spoken.gif
200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 20,994 posts in this topic. You are on page 93 of 420.
#4601 3 years ago
Quoted from jester523:

What do you guys think is a better use of extra cash right now? Pay down debt (low interest mortgage), invest, or hold cash for market dip crash. Part of me hates debt, but the rate is so low (3.875) does it make sense?

I'm paying down debt. Just paid off the small balances on our cars and rolled those payments into the mortgage. I figure that this next several months will offer plenty of downturns and buying opportunities. But if there is any uncertainty ahead, I prefer to get out of the debts while I have no problems paying them down.

#4602 3 years ago
Quoted from jester523:

What do you guys think is a better use of extra cash right now? Pay down debt (low interest mortgage), invest, or hold cash for market dip crash. Part of me hates debt, but the rate is so low (3.875) does it make sense?

Refinance today. If you are at 3.875 you could drop a point to 2.75 on a 30 or 2.5 to drop it to a 15.

#4603 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Refinance today. If you are at 3.875 you could drop a point to 2.75 on a 30 or 2.5 to drop it to a 15.

I'm looking to convert to a 15. Loan officers seem overwhelmed right now. Been having trouble getting a hold of the one who helped with my last mortgage.

#4604 3 years ago
Quoted from jester523:

I'm looking to convert to a 15. Loan officers seem overwhelmed right now. Been having trouble getting a hold of the one who helped with my last mortgage.

Mine is easy to get a hold of...problem is my bank is a good 75-100 basis points above market rate at this point. (Hence him being available).

I have just been making a couple extra payments to shave a few years off.

#4605 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Mine is easy to get a hold of...problem is my bank is a good 75-100 basis points above market rate at this point. (Hence him being available).
I have just been making a couple extra payments to shave a few years off.

Quoted from jester523:

Guys, go to bankrate.com and check mortgage rates at 0800, 1000, and 1200 EST tomorrow. Go with the lowest lender. I checked today when we were talking at work. It was 2.125 for a 10, 2.25 for a 15, and 2.625 for a 30. You don't have to put in any private info and just call whoever the lowest rate is. Today it was sebonic. This is how I got my 2.625 15 year... back in 2016.

#4606 3 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

I'm paying down debt. Just paid off the small balances on our cars and rolled those payments into the mortgage. I figure that this next several months will offer plenty of downturns and buying opportunities. But if there is any uncertainty ahead, I prefer to get out of the debts while I have no problems paying them down.

The financial types will say leverage up and get that money to working for you. I cannot argue with that from just a financial standpoint but I had the opportunity to pay my house off in 1995. It was the best thing I ever did. No house payments and no car payments. I sleep like a baby every night.

#4607 3 years ago

I went with paying down the mortgage refinanced at 2.9% for long term security in case our career situation changes.

#4608 3 years ago

Look at your cashflow and see if by taking x amount of money, you can reduce your outlays an appreciable amount or pay off a debt. If so, it makes sense to do so. If not, save it for an investment or a rainy day.

You should look at refinancing regardless (either lower your rate or lower your term). We were only about 18 months in on a mortgage so I refinanced. Saves me about 500 or so a month, which is more than worth it.

#4609 3 years ago
Quoted from jester523:

Difficult to give advice without knowing your financial situation - income, savings, future income, extra cash amount, monthly expenses, savings rate, age, etc....
Also, how many years left on your mortgage?

#4610 3 years ago

Here is what I'm getting this morning.

Rates (resized).pngRates (resized).png
#4611 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Here is what I'm getting this morning.
[quoted image]

Everyone is different and it really comes down to how many years left on your mortgage and what rate you can get where you live.

SharedScreenshot (resized).jpgSharedScreenshot (resized).jpg
#4612 3 years ago

Yep. This morning my local bank is at 3.75 for a no points 20 yr refi. Bankrate has randos at around 3.00 for no points.

#4613 3 years ago

Briggs and Stratton declared bankruptcy. I consider this a harbinger of things to come, soon. No, its not due to electric/ cordless tool share rising( though this is a factor).
Nor the fact a new Chineese "Clone" engine can be purchased for 100 dollars (this didn't help).
Or the fact Briggs engines have gotten poorer in quality for years (and more expensive).
They enjoyed 85% of the Market share of small engines up until recently.
They simply borrowed too much, paid too much in bonuses, cheapened quality by moving much production out of the US, and now become the new Kodak.

#4614 3 years ago

Of note, rates change multiple times throughout the day. If you are looking, check several times during banking hours. A 15 year fixed jumped up 1/2 a point as far as what was available for me in the past 5 hours.

rates2 (resized).pngrates2 (resized).png
#4615 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Briggs and Stratton declared bankruptcy. I consider this a harbinger of things to come, soon. No, its not due to electric/ cordless tool share rising( though this is a factor).
Nor the fact a new Chineese "Clone" engine can be purchased for 100 dollars (this didn't help).
Or the fact Briggs engines have gotten poorer in quality for years (and more expensive).
They enjoyed 85% of the Market share of small engines up until recently.
They simply borrowed too much, paid too much in bonuses, cheapened quality by moving much production out of the US, and now become the new Kodak.

Had not heard about B&S. This article goes into more details about the issues that they are having and their plan forward.

I do think the battery operated is having an impact. Outside of my lawn tractor and pressure washer, I have switched completely to electric and have been elated. I know others have as well. With the ease of operation and now more regulatory and local ordinances for things like noise, a lot of places are forcing people to go electric. There is a lot of commercial-grade electric lawn care out now with more on the way that operators are beginning to pivot to.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2020/07/20/briggs-stratton-small-engine-maker-files-bankruptcy-protection/5473165002/

#4616 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Yep. This morning my local bank is at 3.75 for a no points 20 yr refi. Bankrate has randos at around 3.00 for no points.

When I bought my house the housing market had been on fire for a couple of years. In 1977, I could had bought a small house for $15,000.00, but I did not have any money. Two years later that same house was selling for around $33,000.00. The market had been like that all over the country.

When I could finally buy, it was one of those now $33K houses. Mortgage interest rates were 10%. And you still had to pay points.

#4617 3 years ago

I thought this was a stock board. Doesn’t anyone want to talk about Tesla?

#4618 3 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

What's to talk about? It's a cult with a stock price that's not based on reality.

#4619 3 years ago

I sold all my TSLA back in early 2017. So, no... I don't want to talk about Tesla.

#4620 3 years ago

Every time I look at TSLA I tell myself they are way overvalued...and then it shoots up another 50%.

#4621 3 years ago

Sold my APT shares at $28.00 thinking it had peaked

So many overvalued stocks atm, is it because so many new young investors joining the share markets ?

https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/afterpay-zip-tech-bubble-2-222312459.html

#4622 3 years ago

So was today a "buy the dip" or "take the money and run" day?

#4623 3 years ago

It’s a “trailing stops activated” kind of day

#4624 3 years ago

There is a growing sensation that the DOW will drop back to 20K before the end of the year. So while its tempting to chase the FAANG/FAZER/TSLA/etc type stocks now, you've got a better than even chance of chase those rabbits down the hole, and having no funds to invest at the "bottom". COVID and ELECTIONS are two big emotional influences.

Obviously everyone needs to decide for themselves, but if you are invested fully (i am), find stocks with less emotion. More fundementals. TSLA is NOT one of those.

Here's a fun play: AMZ is reporting on July-30th, my predication is they will knock it out of the park. As hard as it is to drop $3k/share today, you might find a quick 10-15% kick short-term. The reason I say to consider AMZ is their business model FUNDEMENTALLY addresses the new normal. The work from home mentality. People won't want to go to retail shops for another year. They have the selection and fair prices people want. And they can deliver nearly anything ina few days.

#4625 3 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

There is a growing sensation that the DOW will drop back to 20K before the end of the year. So while its tempting to chase the FAANG/FAZER/TSLA/etc type stocks now, you've got a better than even chance of chase those rabbits down the hole, and having no funds to invest at the "bottom". COVID and ELECTIONS are two big emotional influences.
Obviously everyone needs to decide for themselves, but if you are invested fully (i am), find stocks with less emotion. More fundementals. TSLA is NOT one of those.
Here's a fun play: AMZ is reporting on July-30th, my predication is they will knock it out of the park. As hard as it is to drop $3k/share today, you might find a quick 10-15% kick short-term. The reason I say to consider AMZ is their business model FUNDEMENTALLY addresses the new normal. The work from home mentality. People won't want to go to retail shops for another year. They have the selection and fair prices people want. And they can deliver nearly anything ina few days.

AMZN is my favorite stock and my largest holding. I don’t think they are going to have blow out quarter (this time). Sure everyone is buying stuff from them like crazy but there are huge costs associated with that. They had to hire and train a ton of people and then spent a huge amount of cash to make things Covid safe. What has happened is a large amount of brick and mortar shoppers have now converted to buying online. Nobody does online shopping better than Amazon. During this time Amazon also was able to expand overseas. These are huge wins for Amazon that will eventually translate into sizable profits. Amazon’s long term prospects look outstanding.

#4626 3 years ago

Exactly the point. Their LONG TERM prospects are outstanding. You can play the swings right now, but I still hold a bunch of AMZ from way back when. People that want to casually get in and out may be about to buy today at 3000 and sell in a week for 3500... before they see it drop to 2800 in 90 days... (that kind of thing). In every case, buy value stocks!

#4627 3 years ago
Quoted from ReplayRyan:

So was today a "buy the dip" or "take the money and run" day?

Quoted from Oaken:

It’s a “trailing stops activated” kind of day

I am wondering 2 things

1) How far will The Fed let the market pull back before it starts jawboning it back up again?

and

2) If this next round of the Covid gets worse, will The Fed still have enough juice left in its quiver ( mixed metaphors ) to talk it back up again?

Oh and 3,

3) Will the election have any effect, at all?

#4628 3 years ago

Can Amazon continue to sell counterfeit goods via their marketplace without repercussions? Quite a scheme they have connecting buyers and sellers and skimming off the top of every transaction. Sure they can claim ignorance, make good on refunds and sometimes shut down sellers but c'mon.

Imagine getting caught passing counterfeit money at your bank and just offering to replace the bad bill and go your merry way

#4629 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I am wondering 2 things
1) How far will The Fed let the market pull back before it starts jawboning it back up again?
and
2) If this next round of the Covid gets worse, will The Fed still have enough juice left in its quiver ( mixed metaphors ) to talk it back up again?
Oh and 3,
3) Will the election have any effect, at all?

"Unlimited"

#4630 3 years ago

Lots of good information in here, thanks all. I got completely lucky and bought 1000 shares of WKHS (Small potatoes I understand ) at $5.88 right as they were running up. Not sure if I should hold, or sell and wait for the dip?

#4631 3 years ago

Click, click, click. Seatbelts on folks.
....and here we gooooooo!!!!!
Im buying something on the dip today.
Studying my options, no pun intended.

#4632 3 years ago

Yep, another good day to swoop in and acquire some low hanging fruit!

#4633 3 years ago

keupvzpoaxd51 (resized).pngkeupvzpoaxd51 (resized).png

#4635 3 years ago

I ran into an article just a few days ago regarding Kodak and its stock. I cant remember what caught my eye about the headline, because when i looked at the stock, it was like $2 dollars for quite some time. I don't think there was any mention of the loan in the article and I'm trying to remember why they thought it was a good buy, but I'm going to see if I can find it. I wish i would have bought that day lol.

#4636 3 years ago

Crappy GE is beginning to look like a buy. I think it can double in the next year from this price.

#4637 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I ran into an article just a few days ago regarding Kodak and its stock. I cant remember what caught my eye about the headline, because when i looked at the stock, it was like $2 dollars for quite some time. I don't think there was any mention of the loan in the article and I'm trying to remember why they thought it was a good buy, but I'm going to see if I can find it. I wish i would have bought that day lol.

I could not find the exact article, but it was basically the same as this and was released on Monday. "Shares are up, should you buy?" No mention of an impending loan.

https://www.investorsobserver.com/news/stock-update/eastman-kodak-company-kodk-stock-climbs-9-38-this-week-should-you-buy

#4638 3 years ago

Crappy GE is beginning to look like a buy.

They have been shedding business units trying to become profitable again.

#4639 3 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

They have been shedding business units trying to become profitable again.

Yes they have and I think the bottom is near. I was going to try and hold out for below 6 but it might not get there.

#4640 3 years ago

Crappy GE is beginning to look like a buy. I think it can double in the next year from this price.

I'd hold for that $6 personally. I've owned GE for years and not just a couple shares either.
I cut my holdings to Half when it hit $7.51. Regretted it a little since it went up a little after, and Div paying soon. Still made the dividends and wishing I'd sold all of it.
However, while back I mentioned companies to big to fail backed by government contracts. So, it will do great in future.
But no way it doubles. Like Atari said above they have sold several aspects of company.
So buy at $60 ish, then when your at 25% up, then sell.
And speaking of dips on market past couple days....Ive been buying RTX Raytheon like crazy. Keeps going lower every day, so I buy more everyday. This stock long term will have tremendous upside and dividends are damn good. This one will double+, may take 6-12 months, but it will double.

#4641 3 years ago

At this point is the stock market any different than going down to the track and putting money on the ponies?

Kramer "investing" in KODK on July 27th...

#4642 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I'd hold for that $6 personally. I've owned GE for years and not just a couple shares either.
I cut my holdings to Half when it hit $7.51. Regretted it a little since it went up a little after, and Div paying soon. Still made the dividends and wishing I'd sold all of it.
However, while back I mentioned companies to big to fail backed by government contracts. So, it will do great in future.
But no way it doubles. Like Atari said above they have sold several aspects of company.
So buy at $60 ish, then when your at 25% up, then sell.
And speaking of dips on market past couple days....Ive been buying RTX Raytheon like crazy. Keeps going lower every day, so I buy more everyday. This stock long term will have tremendous upside and dividends are damn good. This one will double+, may take 6-12 months, but it will double.

I have been considering RTX for a while now
Bottomed out perhaps ?

#4643 3 years ago

4 for 1. This was one heck of a great day.

#4644 3 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

I have been considering RTX for a while now
Bottomed out perhaps ?

Yes, unless you were buying stocks the week of March 18th!! That day changed stock history. That's for another time.
Disclosure-- I also worked with Raytheon radars for 10 years. Little biased, they make great stuff. Fast forward 30 years, Ive always kept an eye on this stock.
There also a company not so directed towards the effects of 2020. There set up for decades to come. BA...Boeing is another really good stock. Its taken a beating directed towards world travel and 737. But long term, there not going anywhere. Here to stay companies, think 20 years. Thats why AMZ, Apple, Amazon are also long term solid buys. But, dont spend 3k a share on Amazon! Wait for Long to buy that one. IT will have a 30% dip, give it time.

#4645 3 years ago

PINS Pinterest +$7 per share, up 28%

Listen to the the conference call

AAPL, AMZN, SE, LVGO, etc.

Look through the short term to the vaccine and the ultimate destination. "In the ditch" is next up.

GL fellas

#4646 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

PINS Pinterest +$7 per share, up 28%
Listen to the the conference call
AAPL, AMZN, SE, LVGO, etc.
Look through the short term to the vaccine and the ultimate destination. "In the ditch" is next up.
GL fellas

How big was that truck you backed up to APPL at $300?

#4647 3 years ago

Own 1500 shares of PIN Ice

Ice you were right - This is a pickers market which is shaping up to have select big winners during this down time we are all in. I owned mostly Diversified sectors of ETFs/mutual funds and had little stocks but I realized I needed to flip my portfolio to stocks, which I did over the last few months.

60% of my portfolio is now in a mix of AMZN APPL AYX CRWD DOCU FB FSLY MELI TTD PD ETSY SE LVGO NVTA MSFT GOOG NVDA OKTA PYPL PINS ROKU SQ TSLA TWLO and for later on DIS and SPG. I don’t day trade these. All long term keepers. I want to see what happens with them.

Still have some ETF’s QQQ ARKW ARKG IGV

I also still have 25% cash for a rainy day to buy dips or value/comeback stocks later. My cash protects my portfolio and keeps me humble. I never once wished I went “all in” the market even with my stocks gains. I know these gains are not locked in and things can turn fast. We are in a shit time right now and I know this. I don’t feel good about things in the short term. Who does? Mid to longer term I feel like things will be good though, even really good. Hope it does work out this way. Will see how things play out.

Thanks for triggering me to change the way I do things Ice!

#4648 3 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

How big was that truck you backed up to APPL at $300?

Not as big as the one last Jan 2019 when it hit $145

Don't you love all those idiot analysts that don't get it and were wrong all the way up. That's what you get when you value businesses on old metrics and don't look to the future.

Where did Dan Niles go? Doubling down on his short position at $250 a few months ago.

#4649 3 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Own 1500 shares of PIN Ice
Ice you were right - This is a pickers market which is shaping up to have select big winners during this down time we are all in. I owned mostly Diversified sectors of ETFs/mutual funds and had little stocks but I realized I needed to flip my portfolio to stocks, which I did over the last few months.
60% of my portfolio is now in a mix of AMZN APPL AYX CRWD DOCU FB FSLY MELI TTD PD ETSY SE LVGO NVTA MSFT GOOG NVDA OKTA PYPL PINS ROKU SQ TSLA TWLO and for later on DIS and SPG. I don’t day trade these. All long term keepers. I want to see what happens with them.
Still have some ETF’s QQQ ARKW ARKG IGV
I also still have 25% cash for a rainy day to buy dips or value/comeback stocks later. My cash protects my portfolio and keeps me humble. I never once wished I went “all in” the market even with my stocks gains. I know these gains are not locked in and things can turn fast. We are in a shit time right now and I know this. I don’t feel good about things in the short term. Who does? Mid to longer term I feel like things will be good though, even really good. Hope it does work out this way. Will see how things play out.
Thanks for triggering me to change the way I do things Ice!

Great job Pinny! I see you added ETSY from our boy Andras. That was a previous Motley rec too

#4650 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Great job Pinny! I see you added ETSY from our boy Andras. That was a previous Motley rec too

Andres who? Just kidding. He is the man. He even chats with his subscribers and answers direct questions also!? The $23 a month he charges is insanely low! Thanks for mentioning him Ice! Some of the Motley Fool subscriptions look interesting also, but more expensive and some are even sold out?

https://seekingalpha.com/checkout?service_id=mp_1180

Risky but now I just buy the full chunk of a new position I want all at once now and did ETSY the full amount a few days ago. Looks like earnings will be Aug 5th. Should be fun.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
There are 20,994 posts in this topic. You are on page 93 of 420.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders/page/93?hl=loganjk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.