Image 4-6-24 at 11.42?AM (resized).jpeg
IMG_7948 (resized).jpeg
kuiil-have-spoken.gif
200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,025 posts in this topic. You are on page 89 of 421.
#4401 3 years ago

Why am I not surprised.

" It’s like the Wild West with the ‘get-rich-crowd’ vs Wall St. pros, but it’s too easy to blame retail investors for ‘rampant speculation’."

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/its-like-the-wild-west-in-the-stock-market-with-the-get-rich-crowd-vs-wall-st-pros-but-its-too-easy-to-blame-retail-investors-for-rampant-speculation-2020-06-13?mod=home-page

“It got too easy and now we all have to suffer as the get-rich-quick crowd gets blown out,” CNBC’s Jim Cramer said on his Mad Money show on Friday, describing the current environment as one of “rampant speculation.”

"Historically, retail investors and those that day trade, in the grand scheme of things, represent a small portion of the overall trading on Wall Street even if discount brokerages are seeing a spike in new accounts."

" CNBC’s Jim Cramer may have characterized the current dynamic most aptly when he speculated that professionals, who have been accused of mostly sitting on the sidelines of this epic rally, are strategically taking advantage of the day-trader crowd."
================================================================

Way back in the 90s when online trading started happening, the small retail traders were getting shut out of some of the trades. A new system on the NASDAQ was implemented. It was called Small Order Entry System. SOES for short. When SOES started some of the retail traders were picking off the NASDAQ market makers. The pickings did not last long. The market makers found their game and the SOES traders eventually disappeared.

To the retail day traders out there: Yes, it can be done but you are competing with some of the best on Wall Street with way more Bloombergs and information than you can hope to gather.

Good Luck.

#4402 3 years ago

Just went out today in Maryland. Home Depot was as busy as I have ever seen it. I couldn't get in the Amish Market as the line to get in was over an hour long. 5 below was mobbed. I passed 2 garage sales and an Estate Sale in my neighborhood this morning on my walk. I had to wait 5 minutes to check out at Petco. 100% were wearing masks. Maryland just opened retaraunts and non essential businesses to 50% yesterday. The only sign business was bad was the closed health club and theater I passed which should open next week. Government workers and contractors here almost all working and working remote. I live in the most liberal part of the country just outside the state and national capital. I am 100% behind the nation is opening back up and opening up soon. I'm keeping my play money in REITs and other it is opening up soon bets. The local arcade is even opening next week. I am seeing the pent up demand. Economy is absolutely exploding between now and July 4th. No brakes on this train.

#4403 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

100% were wearing masks.

Lucky you! Meanwhile here in Texas, my wife is working with two thin plastic sheets hung from the ceiling between her and customers, that only covers about oh...20% of the counter inside her shop, and nobody is being required to wear a mask, and most people are NOT wearing them...not even in my building, on my floor, where they are REQUIRED to be wearing them by our company. I already reported like 5 people, the company doesn't care. Their solution?

4 people on an elevator all facing forward, taping off urinals and stalls so that we have half the bathroom capacity, and misspelling instructional posters in huge 60-point font.

Our local arcade just opened as well. I don't think I'll be going anytime soon, as much as I badly want to, since their facebook page seems to be filled with people that are more concerned about whether or not they can conceal a GUN in there (alcohol laws and signage) than anything else. Because as everyone knows, you're probably going to get robbed or shot in a well-lit arcade, ya know. Seedy, that's what modern arcades are!

#4404 3 years ago

I continue to be amazed by those that shun science. None of them high falutin, book learnin fancy folks goin to tell them folks to wear masks.

FWIW, this is the type of extended family I grew up with.

Covid19 has everything to do with what is happening in the market. Actions and lack of action by the population to treat it seriously will only continue to detail the economy.

#4405 3 years ago

Hm. Something is f'ed here.

#4406 3 years ago

"are you better off than you were four years ago? Is it easier for you to go and buy things in the stores than it was four years ago? Is there more or less unemployment in the country than there was four years ago? We talk about the unemployment lines... If all of the unemployed today were in a single line allowing two feet for each of them, that line would reach from New York City to Los Angeles, California."

how long is todays line given current numbers, knowing that each of them has to maintain six feet of social distancing instead of a mere two feet.

#4407 3 years ago

Futures are looking pretty red tonight..

FE874870-5969-4A98-A8AF-11358BAA8925 (resized).jpegFE874870-5969-4A98-A8AF-11358BAA8925 (resized).jpeg
#4408 3 years ago

I boosted my holding in CRN today at rock bottom price.

CORONADO GLOBAL RESOURCES INC

Coronado Global Resources Inc., together with its subsidiaries, produces, markets, and exports metallurgical coal. The company operates through four segments: Curragh, Buchanan, Logan, and Greenbrier. It owns a portfolio of operating mines and development projects, including the Curragh mine complex located in the Bowen Basin of Queensland, Australia; and the Buchanan, Logan, and Greenbrier mine complexes located in the Central Appalachian region in Virginia and West Virginia, the United States. The company provides its products in the United States, India, Japan, Korea, Europe, Australia, Taiwan, China, and Brazil. Coronado Global Resources Inc. was founded in 2011 and is headquartered in Brisbane, Australia.

Yes I understand its a dirty product however CRN is part of my diversified portfolio.

I am at a loss to understand why CRN has flatlined ? Its Australian operation is performing well. I am unsure how the Virginia operations are tracking ? Anyone have a heads up on what is happening there ?

#4409 3 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

I boosted my holding in CRN today at rock bottom price.
CORONADO GLOBAL RESOURCES INC
Coronado Global Resources Inc., together with its subsidiaries, produces, markets, and exports metallurgical coal. The company operates through four segments: Curragh, Buchanan, Logan, and Greenbrier. It owns a portfolio of operating mines and development projects, including the Curragh mine complex located in the Bowen Basin of Queensland, Australia; and the Buchanan, Logan, and Greenbrier mine complexes located in the Central Appalachian region in Virginia and West Virginia, the United States. The company provides its products in the United States, India, Japan, Korea, Europe, Australia, Taiwan, China, and Brazil. Coronado Global Resources Inc. was founded in 2011 and is headquartered in Brisbane, Australia.
Yes I understand its a dirty product however CRN is part of my diversified portfolio.
I am at a loss to understand why CRN has flatlined ? Its Australian operation is performing well. I am unsure how the Virginia operations are tracking ? Anyone have a heads up on what is happening there ?

CRN came pubic some time in 2019 at $3.75 per share. It has been downhill ever since. It is now $1.00 per share. What is going to pull this stock up from the bottom?

#4410 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

CRN came pubic some time in 2019 at $3.75 per share. It has been downhill ever since. It is now $1.00 per share. What is going to pull this stock up from the bottom?

I'm unsure to be honest.

Total newb to this game. I'm not sure if analyst are spruiking or not ?

Trading well below fair value, The CEO seems keen with a big buy in.

Decent dividend with future growth.

Div (resized).JPGDiv (resized).JPGceo (resized).JPGceo (resized).JPGfv (resized).JPGfv (resized).JPGrev (resized).JPGrev (resized).JPG
#4411 3 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

Trading well below fair value

How is fair value determined?

Quoted from RA77:

The CEO seems keen with a big buy in.

Most CEOs are going to say their stock is a good buy. No matter the time of day or year.

Quoted from RA77:

Decent dividend with future growth.

The dividend yield is 18.5 %. The industry average is 3.9%. I don't know anything about Aussie stocks. But my experience in the past is that when a company has yields way above the industry average, it suggests that something is wrong. The pros would not let a good stock pass by with that kind of yield.

Be careful.

#4412 3 years ago

May be a good time to rally some cash to hedge against the future virus cases, election, possible slow recovery over the next 0-6 months at least. If you choose to go this direction a good way to do this is to take a good look at all the stock, Etfs and mutual funds you have and sell your laggards, so likely not sell your off all your Apple or Google stock.

I am at 30% cash now. My 70% stocks are mostly in large and growth tech. I feel the next six months or longer will be real choppy. If a vaccine ever Comes I feel it won’t be here by year end anyway so that is a another reason 2021 looks better for me, so cash hedge and I will buy low as things come up until then. Remember how frustrating a down market was when all your stocks are going down and you have no cash to buy low??

And yes you could short the market but if you have been noticing the market goes up and down daily for no major reason so that looks hard to do.

Just my two cents of what I am doing.

Good luck out there!

#4413 3 years ago

Growth and momentum trade back for the day....

DOCU up 6%. Added it on Friday, the "verb". Long term
SE up 3.3%. All time high. It's not part of "THE US market"
MELI up 2 %. All time high. It's not part of "THE US market"
OKTA up 4%
TDOC up 8%
ZM up 7%
SHOP up 4.5%
TTD up 2.5%
etc. etc. etc

#4414 3 years ago

Iceman what do you consider long term hold on DOCU?

Is TTD a long term hold?

#4415 3 years ago

3-5 yrs at least on both. Let story play out for multibagger potential

Buy more on dips

Quoted from Madmax541:

Iceman what do you consider long term hold on DOCU?
Is TTD a long term hold?

#4416 3 years ago

Another reminder, “DON’T FIGHT THE FED”

Market rallying on announcement that they will be buying individual Corp bonds.

Why don’t “the smart people” believe the FED. Lol

#4417 3 years ago

Ice what percent cash are you? I am with you on stocks for sure looking at my TTD, FSLY, CRWD, SE, MELI, OKTA and SHOP today and over the last month or so, but around how much do you have to “buy a dip” for the future?

Thanks Man!

#4418 3 years ago

1000 point swing today, seems like a healthy market (thanks plunge protection team)

The Fed has manipulated this market to the point that it is a joke.. pretty sad really! Forcing people near retirement into risky assets (punishing the savers)

#4419 3 years ago

If you are near retirement, money should definitely not be in the stock market, pretty sure that's an ongoing suggestion. Closer you get, the less aggressive the investment vehicle. Why risk it unless you like living dangerously.

#4420 3 years ago
Quoted from DadofTwins:

If you are near retirement, money should definitely not be in the stock market, pretty sure that's an ongoing suggestion. Closer you get, the less aggressive the investment vehicle. Why risk it unless you like living dangerously.

Agreed but with 0% rates there are not many options.

Quoted from iceman44:

Another reminder, “DON’T FIGHT THE FED”
Market rallying on announcement that they will be buying individual Corp bonds.
Why don’t “the smart people” believe the FED. Lol

I agree Ice, fighting the Fed is a losing proposition, someday they will run out of bullets and will no longer be able to artificially prop this market up, but I don’t see that happening anytime soon. My guess is that sometime im the near future the Fed will announce that they are going to start buying stocks.

#4421 3 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

My guess is that next the Fed will announce that they are going to start buying stocks.

But only after they consult with Ice. It’s been one heck of a ride since 3/23.

#4422 3 years ago

Roll your dice... Which way will the market swing tomorrow?

#4423 3 years ago

Up, all of Pinside needs to buy Auxly , xly tsxV

Help the bag holder out

#4424 3 years ago

Can someone explain this to me, who is buying this stock??

https://apple.news/AYTIzMzQZQuacRgBb2c2_rA

B58B8C63-632B-4C84-8D9E-3DCBAFA6A9EC (resized).jpegB58B8C63-632B-4C84-8D9E-3DCBAFA6A9EC (resized).jpeg
#4425 3 years ago

Can someone explain this to me, who is buying this stock??
https://apple.news/AYTIzMzQZQuacRgBb2c2_rA
[quoted image]

You get a coupon towards purchase of used Hertz car with every 100 shares???

#4426 3 years ago

Agreed but with 0% rates there are not many options.

Yes, but 0% is better than -X%. If you are not in a position to gamble, you should not be in the market.

#4427 3 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Ice what percent cash are you? I am with you on stocks for sure looking at my TTD, FSLY, CRWD, SE, MELI, OKTA and SHOP today and over the last month or so, but around how much do you have to “buy a dip” for the future?
Thanks Man!

Me personally, i have about 15% in the VGSH 1-3 yr treasuries. And any monies i add monthly go straight to work.

Zero bonds.

Here is a good article to read on MAC's "trophy assets" and valuation. Pros and cons.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4353813-macerich-2-scenarios-of-default-positive-for-value-investors

READ THE COMMENTS BELOW TOO. Especially "BenPatton".

IF you believe like i do that the re-opening news gets better every week, every month, despite the media 24/7 Covid doom and gloom, then some of these REIT's are still really cheap and trade at a significant discount to NAV.

IF you believe in doom and gloom and the end of the world, then i'd look elsewhere.

Pre covid MAC was getting sales of $800 per sq foot. and i believe whatever scenario happens it's hard to not do well at these levels. They own some of the top sales districts in the world.

SPG offered 22.5 billion for MAC assets in 2015. They could acquire for $14-15 billion now, or some other private equity firm, MUCH easier and cheaper to acquire "trophy assets" than build on new dirt.

Market cap of $1.4 billion right here.

#4428 3 years ago

I am still afraid of this fake market, but I continue to trade to try and make some money. Bought 9K shares of AT&T and back in Teva for 20k shares . Still have a high percentage of cash and will use the VXX as my guide on when to cash out. Hopefully make a quick $30k in the next month and then it’s back to cash. Stick and move!! Just stick and move!! Rocky 2

#4429 3 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I am still afraid of this fake market, but I continue to trade to try and make some money. Bought 9K shares of AT&T and back in Teva for 20k shares . Still have a high percentage of cash and will use the VXX as my guide on when to cash out. Hopefully make a quick $30k in the next month and then it’s back to cash. Stick and move!! Just stick and move!! Rocky 2

What’s your thoughts on TEVA 20k shares is a lot of cheddar!

#4430 3 years ago

What’s your thoughts on TEVA 20k shares is a lot of cheddar!

High debt, recession resistant company, paying down debt aggressively, trading at 4.5 times earnings, best no nonsense, turn around CEO in the business. Easy 25-30 stock price in the next 2-4 years. This is not a momentum trade like many of the stocks Ice is recommending. I am a value investor, but trade off rises of 15-20% or more in a volatile market.

#4431 3 years ago

Well, looks like I will have to read through this thread.

The company I work for went public 2 weeks ago. Our CEO said months ago that when we went public, the employees would be rewarded with restricted stock units for their loyalty to the company and all their hard work to get us where we are now.

Our IPO was $23 a share, and today it is at $34.75. True to his word, the CEO sent out letters to all employees explaining their RSU allocation. This will take 3 years to vest, but when it does I may just get me a NIB machine for the first time ever.

I have been at this company for 15 years and honestly was hoping to get MAYBE 250 shares of stock. I almost fell over when the letter said that my allocation was 5,346 RSU's.

Work is really annoying sometimes, but I sincerely respect our CEO. He is always looking out for the employees. Even the furloughed workers currently were eligible for stock as well. He is a class act.

Hopefully in 3 years the stock will be over $100 a share. One can dream!

Chris

#4432 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Me personally, i have about 15% in the VGSH 1-3 yr treasuries.

Ah I felt like I was too heavy on cash at 30%, but got there by making money selling off some overheated comeback stocks early last week. I did buy 1000 shares of MAC back last Friday though. I can buy back others at a lower price than I sold. I will adjust.

And love the SE, SHOP, TTD, MELI, FSLY etc recommendations you made over the last month or so. “The future”

Thanks!

#4433 3 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

The company I work for went public 2 weeks ago. Our CEO said months ago that when we went public, the employees would be rewarded with restricted stock units for their loyalty to the company and all their hard work to get us where we are now.
Our IPO was $23 a share, and today it is at $34.75. True to his word, the CEO sent out letters to all employees explaining their RSU allocation. This will take 3 years to vest, but when it does I may just get me a NIB machine for the first time ever.
I have been at this company for 15 years and honestly was hoping to get MAYBE 250 shares of stock. I almost fell over when the letter said that my allocation was 5,346 RSU's.
Work is really annoying sometimes, but I sincerely respect our CEO. He is always looking out for the employees. Even the furloughed workers currently were eligible for stock as well. He is a class act.
Chris

Congratulations! Glad to hear that you have been rewarded for your efforts! I was with a unicorn that IPO’ed successfully where I had options and RSU’s and joined another unicorn about a year ago where I was one of the last people to get options as opposed to RSU’s. As you get through your vesting periods make sure to consult with your accountant about your various tax liabilities when you execute your RSU’s. We had a unique situation where my prior company went through a merger/acquisition as I was leaving so some people were forced to execute things early, which is going to result in a massive tax burden this year for them as the proceeds will be treated as ordinary income. I had to take the hit this year, which was a large hit. All of this is good stuff, but do yourself a favor and get smart about these things.

The good news is that companies tend to reward folks with RSU’s for performance and loyalty, so you will probably get more in the future. Again, congrats on your good fortune.

#4434 3 years ago

Word going around is that the Trump Administration is looking at a 1T infrastructure allocation. This is huge! This will help our aging infrastructure and create a lot of jobs for folks. I truly hope this comes to fruition because this does good things all the way around.

#4435 3 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Chris

Give careful consideration to how you'll pay tax on RSUs when they vest. You will have the option of paying cash or taking net shares, the latter meaning you allow the broker to sell some shares at time of vesting to cover the expected tax liability.

If you think the company is only getting stronger, net shares may be a poor choice.

Unfortunately, this is what we did with my wife's RSUs when she started getting them over a decade ago. At the time it didn't seem like a big deal. But as of today, the shares we liquidated to cover the tax piece would have added another 100k to the pot. Fortunately we kept the rest.

We had no idea then the company was going to perform as it has.

#4436 3 years ago

our company sell-to-cover taxes for RSUs , no other option / already done for you. so yeah, understand how taxes are paid for sure. i am halfway through my starting bonus RSU vesting.. stock has quadrupled in the 2 years. starting to curse them a bit as i prob would of quit by now otherwise.. damn them with their retention policies that actually work !

#4437 3 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Ah I felt like I was too heavy on cash at 30%, but got there by making money selling off some overheated comeback stocks early last week. I did buy 1000 shares of MAC back last Friday though. I can buy back others at a lower price than I sold. I will adjust.
And love the SE, SHOP, TTD, MELI, FSLY etc recommendations you made over the last month or so. “The future”
Thanks!

15-30% I think is good level of cash

“In the ditch” working today.

Hang in there on MAC

#4438 3 years ago

Reading the Stocktwits page on HTZ is pretty interesting. I haven’t seen it, but would this new offering of shares be at a set price, or the market price at the time.

I was looking at OCT 2.00 puts (it was at 1.80 when I looked) and they were 1.30/1.35 on the bid/ask. For 1.30, if they went to zero today you could make about .70. There is a lot of time decay there so they have to move down a lot to keep up with the decay.

#4439 3 years ago

I'll say it again... HTZ will only cause you pain. I can already hear the roar of millennials as their money vanishes.... Actually, I won't hear it because I don't do social media... but someone will tell me about it.

#4440 3 years ago

A few ideas for you guys:

Just bought 2,250 shares of Slack (WORK) and 2,000 shares of Zynerba Pharmaceuticals (ZYNE), and put in some pretty heavy GTC's on my big tech favorites. Beginning to look at long term positioning. ZYNE is highly speculative but there is a lot of call volume based upon where they are in their testing for a drug for Fragile X Syndrome.

For those playing along at home, my stock positions are BA, CNTY, LVS, MGM, COST, SBUX, RTX, ROKU, REGN, JPM, and COF.

Good luck, all.

#4441 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

A few ideas for you guys:
Just bought 2,250 shares of Slack (WORK)

I don't care much for Slack the product. I worked at a company that used it. It was a total time-waster for the company, basically the Facebook of the office. They even had a slack channel dedicated to workers pets. Instead of doing work, people posted pictures of their pets and commented on them all day. I don't see them have a sustainable future.

#4442 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

I don't care much for Slack the product. I worked at a company that used it. It was a total time-waster for the company, basically the Facebook of the office. They even had a slack channel dedicated to workers pets. Instead of doing work, people posted pictures of their pets and commented on them all day. I don't see them have a sustainable future.

We use Slack pretty heavily at our company for both internal communication and for dedicated external comms with clients. It works very well for us. We have the obligatory pet channel as well, but people here and at our partners use it very productively.

With that being said, my investment is based upon their fundamentals. Lots of good potential there. Microsoft Teams is a very viable competitor, and it is easy to get Teams if your company is already a Microsoft 365 customer, but I don't see Slack going anywhere. The Amazon deal was a big win for them as well.

#4443 3 years ago

Some interesting things are going on with Roku. Spiked 13% plus today with a big call volume late in the day. Some very unsubstantiated rumors of a possible buy out. I have a small position of 200 shares that I bought at $107 and it is now $122 in the aftermarket. Is anybody else in on this stock besides me?

original_220478745 (resized).jpgoriginal_220478745 (resized).jpg
#4444 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Some interesting things are going on with Roku. Spiked 13% plus today with a big call volume late in the day. Some very unsubstantiated rumors of a possible buy out. I have a small position of 200 shares that I bought at $107 and it is now $122 in the aftermarket. Is anybody else in on this stock besides me?

I actually considered buying Roku yesterday. But of course, I didn't. Now I feel I have to wait for another dip. Probably another mistake....

#4445 3 years ago

Interesting action on MAC this morning, big morning pop and then faded.

#4446 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

[quoted image]

I rolled my ditch stock profits into 200 shares of CRWD and 100 shares of ROKU last Friday.

A view from someone who recommended Roku last week

Andreas Cardenal, on Seeking Alpha, who is I believe is one of the analysts Ice recomended, said Roku is a leader in programatic advertising, which has huge potential for long term growth. It had vigorous growth metrics last quarter but advertising was down which had an impact on margins. Opening up could help this. Roku has barely scratched growth in the the International market. And he mentioned the stock pulled back compared to others over the last couple of months and the $100 level has shown a good area for support to start a position with a long term horizon.

I could not link the article since it is a subscription “The Data Driven Investor”.

#4447 3 years ago

I have been in BILL since $41.00 a share, it has had a nice run up for Technology...

#4448 3 years ago

Sell ! Sell ! Sell !

#4449 3 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

I'll say it again... HTZ will only cause you pain. I can already hear the roar of millennials as their money vanishes.... Actually, I won't hear it because I don't do social media... but someone will tell me about it.

Not interested in going long on it, was considering selling puts though. With my OCT 2.00 example it’s got pretty limited downside and I can see it trading sideways for a long time and just buy to close once a lot of the time decay has been had.

#4450 3 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Not interested in going long on it, was considering selling puts though. With my OCT 2.00 example it’s got pretty limited downside and I can see it trading sideways for a long time and just buy to close once a lot of the time decay has been had.

Sounds interesting.

https://www.benzinga.com/analyst-ratings/analyst-color/20/06/16266180/why-bankrupt-hertz-is-a-short-squeeze-poster-child-ahead-of-bizarre-equity-offering

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 12.95
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 18.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 21,025 posts in this topic. You are on page 89 of 421.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders/page/89?hl=investingdad and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.