Image 4-6-24 at 11.42?AM (resized).jpeg
IMG_7948 (resized).jpeg
kuiil-have-spoken.gif
200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,015 posts in this topic. You are on page 82 of 421.
#4051 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

dcfan you’re basically describing 70’s stagflation.

Or a much lesser version (hopefully, if it unfortunately comes to that) of the depression.

#4052 3 years ago

Profit taking on shorts ?

#4053 3 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

Profit taking on shorts ?

How is that?

#4054 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

There was no Disney+ in Jan 2019. It launched in November 2019. With 50+ million subscribers already, I'd argue Disney is much better off now than they were in early 2019. It's turning into a Netflix competitor that also happens to have theme parks as a side business.

Disney+ doesn't make money. Neither does Hulu or ESPN+ that they own. They have the 'potential' to make money, but unless Disney+ comes out with a bunch of new shows before the Mandolorian finishes season 2, I think everyone is going to cancel. Everyone got that free year from Verizon that boosted the numbers way up.

Disney+ is going to run into a content issue here that everyone else doesn't have...mainly that they can't produce racier shows that are a big attraction to the other streaming services. They have Star Wars, Marvel, and kids stuff...will that be enough? My kids watched Disney+ a ton for about a month, they haven't touched it since. They watch Netflix cartoons and stuff off Amazon Prime instead.

The Mandolorian was good...good enough to make me subscribe for like a month once a year. But not to keep paying for it.

I will say though that I think it's ridiculous that Netflix has a bigger market cap than Disney...I don't agree with that valuation.

#4055 3 years ago

There have been large spikes here, so I'm guessing ?? if you could more than double your money in one week, why not cash in ?
APT (resized).JPGAPT (resized).JPG

Edit, excuse me for being a trading novice , I realised I miss interpereted the meaning of shorts

#4056 3 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

There have been large spikes here, so I'm guessing ?? if you could more than double your money in one week, why not cash in ?
[quoted image]
Edit, excuse me for being a trading novice , I realised I miss interpereted the meaning of shorts

What you were saying confused me. If the market has been going up and then starts pulling back that might be looked at as long position players taking some profits.

If the market has been dropping, most shorts are going to hang on and enjoy the ride down. But if the market reverses and starts going back up you could refer to it as the shorts closing out their positions.

Are we on the same page here?

And you talk of doubling your money in one week. What kind of prices are the stocks you are talking about trading at?

#4057 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

What you were saying confused me. If the market has been going up and then starts pulling back that might be looked at as long position players taking some profits.
If the market has been dropping, most shorts are going to hang on and enjoy the ride down. But if the market reverses and starts going back up you could refer to it as the shorts closing out their positions.
Are we on the same page here?
And you talk of doubling your money in one week. What kind of prices are the stocks you are talking about trading at?

Google "stock market terminology".

Here is one link that has a few terms to know. And this is not a comprehensive list. Find out what short selling is all about. Don't be selling anything short. You don't know what you are doing. You can get killed.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/shortselling.asp

https://www.elearnmarkets.com/blog/stock-market-terms-a-beginner-should-know/

Here are others:

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=stock+market+terminology&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

#4058 3 years ago

Another 2.98 million filed for unemployment. The market is starting down about 1.2% today. Is it time to retest the lows or will the feds prop it back up again?

#4059 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Another 2.98 million filed for unemployment. The market is starting down about 1.2% today. Is it time to retest the lows or will the feds prop it back up again?

Here is a one month. chart. There is a bit of a struggle at the 23050 price point.

Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 9.45.58 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-05-14 at 9.45.58 AM (resized).png

And a one year chart. I am guessing that someone or something would not want the Dow to break below this level. It sure has tuned around very fast ing the last few minutes.

You know. Now that the bad news unemployment is out of the way "let's push and prop".

Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 9.50.18 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-05-14 at 9.50.18 AM (resized).png

#4060 3 years ago

Food for thought.

"Shoppers begin to shift from stockpiling to penny pinching at the grocery store"

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/13/shoppers-shift-from-stockpiling-to-penny-pinching-at-the-grocery-store.html?recirc=taboolainternal

"“As this drags on, you are going to see a lot more recessionary behavior coming up,” said Krishnakumar Davey, president of strategic analytics at IRI. “We are just seeing the beginnings of it.”

#4061 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Food for thought.
"Shoppers begin to shift from stockpiling to penny pinching at the grocery store"
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/13/shoppers-shift-from-stockpiling-to-penny-pinching-at-the-grocery-store.html?recirc=taboolainternal
"“As this drags on, you are going to see a lot more recessionary behavior coming up,” said Krishnakumar Davey, president of strategic analytics at IRI. “We are just seeing the beginnings of it.”

I went to Costco yesterday. Everything just seemed high to me. I needed some Kraft Cheese slices for the kids, so I put those into my basket. I put the 3 lb bundle of bananas in my basket. That's always a good deal at $1.25. They had no beef. Nothing else jumped out at me as a "deal". I decided to get in line knowing full well that I'd have to go elsewhere for grocery shopping. They have one long line and then will direct you to the nearest cash register, which has been their policy since the pandemic began. I realized that I wasn't going to make it to my other destination, Aldi, in time because they've been closing at 6:00 near me since the pandemic began. I decided that I didn't want to wait in a long line with two items. So, I put them back and headed to Aldi. I was able to get all the groceries I would need for a family of 4 for the whole week for about $80.00, and that includes most meals. We might get carry out once. The moral of the story is that I'm already in penny-pinching mode, but I enjoy penny-pinching anyway. Aldi is a perfect place for Dads to shop. Stores are small and simple. There's one kind of peanut butter. No coupons, no going to any app for virtual coupons. And it's cheap. My wife says the produce doesn't last and prefers to go elsewhere for that. But for me, Aldi is always my single-most best shopping experience (cheap, easy and "good enough" quality).

#4062 3 years ago

My wife and I have been working from home for several weeks now and the company we work for is in no hurry to bring everyone back to the office.

I make a trip to Safeway every 1-2 weeks and get enough for 2 weeks if they have everything I wanted.

I’ve always been frugal when shopping so my habits aren’t that different right now. If there is a good price when you buy multiples, I’ll do that. Chips are the biggest thing. Doritos are normally what 3.29 at Safeway? Every few weeks the go to 1.77 each if you buy exactly 3 bags. Easy. Lunchables is another thing. Expensive at Safeway but on sale at Walmart quite often. I’d buy 2 weeks from there when the kids actually were in school but as of now I haven’t gone to Walmart since this started. It’s 20 minutes from the house and Safeway is 5, and hadn’t really been out to make it to WM on the way home.

Amazon has been to our door many times per week though.

#4063 3 years ago

Some of the richest people I know are frugal.......I personally take pride in the fact I am smart with my money. Unfortunately most Americans like to buy things that deprecate rapidly or that get taxed at a high rate. Even with a fairly low income, you can do well in life if you avoid a few simple things, i.e. vacations, eating out, cigarettes, alcohol, new cars and big houses. That being said, if you have the money, you only live once, so go ahead and enjoy it if you want. Money won’t buy you happiness, but it can buy you NIB!

#4064 3 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Some of the richest people I know are frugal

I read somewhere that the late Texas oil tycoon, H.L. Hunt browned bagged it for lunch.

most Americans like to buy things that deprecate rapidly or that get taxed at a high rate

And these spenders are what our economy depends on for its juice. Kind of sad, but it is what it is.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/12/investing/jobs-coronavirus-consumer-spending-debt/index.html

" New threat to the economy: Americans are saving like it's the 1980s."

#4065 3 years ago

I am one of the people that you describe and I feel no shame. I have a big house, I spend a lot of money, but I also bring in many 8 figures of economic impact for the corporations that I work for per year. I work a minimum of 70-80 hours a week and I get results. People hire me for these results. I look for what I consider good deals and I don't throw around money crazily, but I also have zero compunctions on spending money and large sums of it. I went to college with 20 bucks in my pocket, and I have much more than that now, but neither of these facts define who I am. I hope you realize that there are many shades of grey, and that you cant paint your fellow man with a broad brush.

#4066 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

I am one of the people that you describe and I feel no shame. I have a big house, I spend a lot of money, but I also bring in many 8 figures of economic impact for the corporations that I work for per year. I work a minimum of 70-80 hours a week and I get results. People hire me for these results. I look for what I consider good deals and I don't throw around money crazily, but I also have zero compunctions on spending money and large sums of it. I went to college with 20 bucks in my pocket, and I have much more than that now, but neither of these facts define who I am. I hope you realize that there are many shades of grey, and that you cant paint your fellow man with a broad brush.

You need to work on your reading comprehension skills young man. You literally misinterpreted everything I said. Look, let me give you some advise, advise you cannot buy.......Your 1 game collection sucks! Hook is literally one of the worst games ever. Take that money that you so love to spend and buy yourself a decent 5 pin collection. After you do that, I want you reread what I posted and fill that chip on your shoulder with some grey silly putty and loosen up. Everything in this world is relative, you were NOT the type of person I was referring to in my post. You are an American success story my friend, congrats!

#4067 3 years ago

Woot! Down 16% this week in my day trading account!

#4068 3 years ago

I bought back into Teva today at the low, 20K shares. Other than that I am 87% cash and sleeping like a baby in this over priced market. Trade the swings people, volatility is back!

#4069 3 years ago

I bought back into Teva today at the low, 20K shares. Other than that I am 87% cash and sleeping like a baby in this over priced market. Trade the swings people, volatility is back!

Damn! You dropped 200k on Teva and your still 87% cash?

#4070 3 years ago

You need to work on your reading comprehension skills young man. You literally misinterpreted everything I said. Look, let me give you some advise, advise you cannot buy.......Your 1 game collection sucks! Hook is literally one of the worst games ever. Take that money that you so love to spend and buy yourself a decent 5 pin collection. After you do that, I want you reread what I posted and fill that chip on your shoulder with some grey silly putty and loosen up. Everything in this world is relative, you were NOT the type of person I was referring to in my post. You are an American success story my friend, congrats!

I have reread your statement and I can see how we both were on different vectors. I will say that you are absolutely incorrect about Hook. It is a fantastic game, especially with the custom code. I'll get more pins one day, but I have bigger fish to fry for now.

Good luck with your TEVA play. I think it is definitely a trade.

#4071 3 years ago

Stock market drops 30% and Chipotle goes up 30%.. I don’t get it! Chipotle is food is over rated IMHO

#4072 3 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Stock market drops 30% and Chipotle goes up 30%.. I don’t get it! Chipotle is food is over rated IMHO

My kids love it - probably in their top 5

#4073 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

My kids love it - probably in their top 5

Don’t get me wrong their food is good, but we have a Baja Fresh across the street from Chipotle and I go to Baja 90% of the time.

#4074 3 years ago

Chipotle's signature dish is their E. Coli Bowl. Gross.

#4075 3 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

'Round these parts we have a place called Freebirds. I'd much rather go there than McChipotle.

#4076 3 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

'Round these parts we have a place called Freebirds. I'd much rather go there than McChipotle.

We have the same here in Northern Cali

#4077 3 years ago
Quoted from loren3233:

We have the same here in Northern Cali

Nice, I always thought they were a Texas only thing.

#4078 3 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Holy where the heck have you been?? Welcome back Gambit, really good to see you back!

#4079 3 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

I went to A&M for undergrad. I'm intimately aware of Freebirds. It's not even a competition. We have them here now, too.

#4080 3 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Holy where the heck have you been?? Welcome back Gambit, really good to see you back!

Hey-o

#4081 3 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

I went to A&M for undergrad. I'm intimately aware of Freebirds.

Double Dave's too I presume?

#4082 3 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Double Dave's too I presume?

Pepperoni rolls and Ranch delivered at 1 AM. You know this.

#4083 3 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

I went to A&M for undergrad. I'm intimately aware of Freebirds. It's not even a competition. We have them here now, too.

My favorite Tex-Mex place of all time is Chuy’s (in Austin, before it was a chain). I have a t-shirt with Bill Clinton that says “I did not have Tex-Mex with that woman”. Love BC but I had to have that shirt.

#4084 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

prop it up
https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-05-14/fed-buys-305-million-of-etfs-at-start-of-historic-program

#4085 3 years ago

The feds are just holding the needle on the gauge to be steady state. How long can they do that without either some big increase or a bit of a collapse.
The DOW has been held in check pretty much between 23000 and 24000 for 5-1/2 weeks (April 8).

#4086 3 years ago

No retest of lows, in a trading range that will persist until and WHEN a vaccine is announced. Then its game over

Just my prediction. You typically don't get a second massive bite at the Apple like that one. I wish it would happen, we know how the movie ends.

Meanwhile it's still a tale of two economies. TTD, SHOP, TWLO, AYX, DDOG, SE, NOW, PYPL, MELI, PAYC, FSLY and the 4 horsemen, AAPL, AMZN, GOOG and MSFT.

It's time to start looking at beaten down REIT's like BAM, STOR, DOC, ACC, IRT to name a few. Fortunes were made post 2008. REIT's tripled in the following two years.

I'm also against rationalizing to yourself that "it's different this time", the four most dangerous words in finance. Investors get scared and rationalize why they should sell. Betting against the USA the past 240 years has been mistake, how's that for a trend?

Gotta be ready to deploy capital in different phases. Disney will make new highs in 2021. DIS, BA, BAM, TJX, CCL, EPD are a few of my "in the ditch" stocks that should significantly outperform over the next 18 months. Not buying BA and CCL yet

Like I said, WHEN the vaccine is announced you better not get caught with your shorts down.

#4087 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Betting against the USA the past 240 years has been mistake, how's that for a trend?

That's a pretty good trend. But there were some hiccups along the way.

If you would have bought the top in about 1960 and held, you would have been in a 14 year bear market that did not hit bottom until 1974. And then it would take to about 1998 to get back to even.

Screen Shot 2020-05-16 at 1.20.29 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-05-16 at 1.20.29 PM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2020-05-16 at 1.21.09 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-05-16 at 1.21.09 PM (resized).png

I am reminded about some financial writer who wrote something I read about 20 years ago: " If you would have invested $10,000 in the Dow Jones in 1910, today you would have $9 million in your account". Wow ! $9 million.

But when you start breaking it down you come up with:

1) How many people had $10,000.00 lying around in 1910?

2) 1910 to 2000 is 90 years. So, if I was born with a silver spoon and my dad made a 10K investment for me when I was born, today I would be a 90 old multi-millionaire and instead of the brokers cold calling me, it would be the hospitals smelling out a customer who could pay. And the casket companies would be handing me calling cards

It was a silly article. I don't know who was selling what.

#4088 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Like I said, WHEN the vaccine is announced you better not get caught with your shorts down.

Market drops a LOT faster than it rises. That's another way of saying, you'll have plenty of time to get in the market when that happens (it'll take months for it to get manufactured and distributed at any rate), but once the Fed stops funding the market and unemployed workers, and the news turns south, the floor will fall out from under your investments and there's nothing you can do.

#4089 3 years ago

Buffett sells Goldman Sachs. 12 million shares were sold down to 1.9 million shares.

Factoid: Buffet buys $5 billion of preferred stock of Goldy in 2008. In 2011, Buffett made $3.7 billion off of that $5 billion investment.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/16/business/warren-buffett-berkshire-hathaway-goldman-sachs/index.html

#4090 3 years ago

I have learned a lot this year.

Five weeks ago I had portion of my money on the sidelines thinking things can’t possibly move up. I wanted to buy low on more big dips but then Fed came in and the each week I learned more about virus and how to deal with the weird new normal.

I sat on my hands and did nothing for a couple of weeks after the Fed came in and saw gains which I thought were crazy, but then started to think about what companies are helping us through this now and how those companies will expand in the future? I knew before all this, but this year confirmed for me that tech is the now and tech is the future and I added a lot to my tech positions with a big chunk of my side line money. I also switched out portions of my current Stock investments to Technology. Over the last few weeks I added more of Microsoft, Apple, NVDA, OKTA, SHOP, and ETF’s like VGT, CLOU, OGIG, XKL OGIG, and speculative ARKW. I also same day bought and sold from S and P and value funds I had to QQQ, which I feel will be a better long term play.

I admit I didn’t feel good buying the last few weeks though. I felt like I was overpaying, but I figure all the above will be long term plays and if there is a downturn shortly ahead I will just hold and Tech will be better play years from now than others sectors.

I still have some side line money left waiting for a dip, but I even adjusted and switched part of that to GLD this past week and it is up 2% since Tuesday. I don’t like GLD long term though. I will chill for now but buy dips and like ICE said start buying the unsexy beaten down Retail, bank, travel and ETFs soon for 2021. I feel “Buy before the good news” is right.

Beyond putting money in stocks stocks I reached out to everyone I knew who may have been effected by the closures and have given cash to help those in need and I have been donating money weekly to my local food panty and will do this until things get better.

There will be better times ahead. I live in GA and we are slowly opening back up and doing alright so far! I didn’t buy at the bottom or sell at the top but think I made good long term choices. I feel it is important to evolve in my investing. If I am wrong long term on my Tech moves I will adjust.

Thanks Ice and to others chiming in. Hang in everyone!

#4091 3 years ago

Prediction: Dow up 800+ points today (5/18).

#4092 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

That's cheating when the futures are already up 700.

#4093 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

That's cheating when the futures are already up 700.

They were only up 300 at the time...

#4094 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

With the Moderna vaccine trial news it is not a very bold prediction.

#4095 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

With the Moderna vaccine trial news it is not a very bold prediction.

Yep. They spiked on that news over an hour ago.

dow (resized).PNGdow (resized).PNG
#4096 3 years ago

It'll probably sell on the news and end red. It's been stuck in this range for weeks and it's right at the top of the range now. Hopefully not.

#4097 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

It'll probably sell on the news and end red. It's been stuck in this range for weeks and it's right at the top of the range now. Hopefully not.

Moderna is in such an early stage of trials. It would probably be well over 6 months before they could start giving the vaccine to anyone in the public even if the government rushed the process and compromised on the trial rules.

#4098 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

No retest of lows, in a trading range that will persist until and WHEN a vaccine is announced. Then its game over

Today is Just a little prelude to what's coming. Did i have inside info?

DIS up 7.5%. Shorts are getting drummed.

Look at the airlines up 10% and other beaten down sectors. Banks up 7%.

Get your "in the ditch" favorites ready.

Netflix down on vaccine hopes.

#4099 3 years ago

"Gotta be ready to deploy capital in different phases. Disney will make new highs in 2021. DIS, BA, BAM, TJX, CCL, EPD are a few of my "in the ditch" stocks that should significantly outperform over the next 18 months. Not buying BA and CCL yet

Like I said, WHEN the vaccine is announced you better not get caught with your shorts down."

#4100 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

There was no Disney+ in Jan 2019. It launched in November 2019. With 50+ million subscribers already, I'd argue Disney is much better off now than they were in early 2019. It's turning into a Netflix competitor that also happens to have theme parks as a side business.

Disney is now up 20% in under a week.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 18.95
Boards
PinSound

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 21,015 posts in this topic. You are on page 82 of 421.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders/page/82 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.