Image 4-6-24 at 11.42?AM (resized).jpeg
IMG_7948 (resized).jpeg
kuiil-have-spoken.gif
200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,020 posts in this topic. You are on page 74 of 421.
#3651 4 years ago

Does anybody like UCO here as a spec?

#3652 4 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

Does anybody like UCO here as a spec?

UCO and SCO just seem so rigged. I used to buy and sell them for small gains. I was looking back at what I paid a few years ago for both and they both are negative from the same points in time.

#3653 4 years ago

Ridiculous questions - seeing oil close that far negative, not having really ever invested in the market before - is now a good time? How can I quickly buy while this far negative?

#3654 4 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Cheaper than water. Of course, brings me back to a childhood memory when my stepdad would somehow turn off the water meter before filling our pool in the backyard every year.

I'd like to know that trick, for sure. With my water meter, you shut it off it is off.

#3655 4 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

loving:
AMD SHOP & TEAM

Like em all long term!

There is a bull market going on in online and anything related and bear market in everything else.

Can't find much to buy in sectors i like. Did buy some IBB and DIS at close.

My former Oil & Gas law professor partner who passed away last year is rolling over in his grave right now! Lost everything in the 80's and became a professor as a result.

Like then, there have been fortunes made and lost today with the move on May futures. I'm wondering which hedge funds got that trade right.

#3656 4 years ago

Funny how options work with USO

Oil crashes, yet my 2022 call options are up due to a predicted spiked in Implied Volatility.

Since leap options are not sensitive to time decay like near term expiration options, they get a nice boost of IV even when the market has a volatile down move like today.

Also, another reason I like USO is the current price is diversified with 50% May (current) contract price and 50% June (next month) contract prices

I just have a small position on USO but here you can see how I'm in the green even with it being down today due to the IV spike.

Screenshot_20200420-130501_thinkorswim (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200420-130501_thinkorswim (resized).jpg
#3657 4 years ago

Here's another example of a couple airliner positions I have in one of my accounts and why I use covered calls. Thanks to time decay, they will rise when the stock itself drops allowing you to benefit while being long the shares. Great downside protection.

Screenshot_20200420-131032_thinkorswim (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200420-131032_thinkorswim (resized).jpg
#3658 4 years ago

June contracts on WTI are still trading at $21.

There is no place to store Oil and no demand for it.

Is it going to get much better by June?

#3659 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

June contracts on WTI are still trading at $21.
There is no place to store Oil and no demand for it.
Is it going to get much better by June?

That's what they said while the stock market is crashing, and yet it still massively rebounded. Oil will have some oversold bounces.

But then again I own the 2022 Calls so I have plenty of time

#3660 4 years ago
Quoted from SilverballSleuth:

Ridiculous questions - seeing oil close that far negative, not having really ever invested in the market before - is now a good time? How can I quickly buy while this far negative?

I have the same question. What exactly do I buy (USO?) and hold for a few years if I think oil will rebound to over $40/barrel?

#3661 4 years ago

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/20/coronavirus-mohamed-el-erian-sees-us-economy-contracting-10percent-14percent-in-2020.html

El Erian's viewpoint. I'm going to be on a private Q & A conference call with El Erian and Allianz CEO Walter White (not Breaking Bad lol) on thursday.

I'll provide a little summary fwiw after the call.

#3662 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/20/coronavirus-mohamed-el-erian-sees-us-economy-contracting-10percent-14percent-in-2020.html
El Erian's viewpoint. I'm going to be on a private Q & A conference call with El Erian and Allianz CEO Walter White (not Breaking Bad lol) on thursday.
I'll provide a little summary fwiw after the call.

Awesome.

Ask them what they think of this 200d MA area on the Dow (23,000) we've seen battling for the last week or so. Does it break down or break out from here? Because clearly as we've seen 23,000 is a significant area right now.

AA earnings on Wednesday still..

#3663 4 years ago
Quoted from marcus0202:

I have the same question. What exactly do I buy (USO?) and hold for a few years if I think oil will rebound to over $40/barrel?

The reason oil went negative today is actually because of USO. Check out this article

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimcollins/2020/04/20/the-us-oil-etf-uso-is-the-culprit-behind-oils-massive-plunge/

Notice the speculative part that says the Fed could start buying USO.. which is very possible. Don't fight the fed right?

#3664 4 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Planning on buying oil but have never bought before, anyone able to give me some quick tips on what/where to buy? I have a TD Ameritrade account set up that I use for stocks.

I was lazy and didn't do this yet. Very glad I waited.

Just woke up and missed all the chaos, is there somewhere I can go on TDAmeritrade to just buy straight up oil contracts? The last time I asked this the only tip I got was oil stocks, and when I browsed around I couldn't seem to find straight up oil contracts on there.

Thanks in advance for any help

#3665 4 years ago

With oil being this low, why is gas in CA still so expensive?

#3666 4 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Taxes Oregon is the same way.

#3667 4 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Likely because the oil that was used for the current gas at local stations was bought at a higher price prior to refinement. Not to mention the crazy taxes we pay as well, 2.25% sales tax + almost $.53/gallon.

#3668 4 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Combination of a couple of things.

1. CA uses specially blended gas that isn't readily produced anywhere except in CA refineries. Thus we don't get the benefit of an open market when it comes to buying gasoline. If CAs gas was the nationwide standard, our prices wouldn't differ much from many other states. From an environmental standpoint our special blend, in conjunction with more energy efficient powertrains, have lead to better air quality so the trade off is worth it, IMHO at least.
2. Taxes. So long as our highway infrastructure is funded largely by the gas tax, the less of it we use, the higher the tax has to be to fund these needs and even then the funding is woefully short of what's actually needed. If we taxed gasoline at what we should tax it at to properly fund highway construction/maintenance, you'd be paying very close to $10/gallon... No one would take that without a fight...

Jeff

#3669 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

The reason oil went negative today is actually because of USO. Check out this article
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimcollins/2020/04/20/the-us-oil-etf-uso-is-the-culprit-behind-oils-massive-plunge/
Notice the speculative part that says the Fed could start buying USO.. which is very possible. Don't fight the fed right?

Thanks for the article. Let me see if I understand. If I buy USO, it may go up (particularly if the Fed starts buying it) or down (if it dissolves for next to nothing like XIV. I could buy a short-term futures contract like the June 2020 contract at 22.36 or a longer-term contract like the May 2021 contract at $35.34. Or I could buy stock in small oil companies which could soon be BK or large oil companies like Chevron. Do I have any of that right?

Alternatively, since I live in Houston, I could just wait for real estate to crash and invest in a rental property. Another falling knife.

#3670 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

That article is just flat wrong. He is saying the May contract went down today because of USO, but USO hasn't owned any of the May contract in over a week. It currently owns 20% July and 80% June.

USO would have been slaughtered today if they still owned May.

Here's their roll schedule. April 13th was the last day they owned any May contracts.

roll (resized).JPGroll (resized).JPG
#3671 4 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

That article is just flat wrong. He is saying the May contract went down today because of USO, but USO hasn't owned any of the May contract in over a week. It currently owns 20% July and 80% June.
USO would have been slaughtered today if they still owned May.

Very true but I think the point is by USO rolling those contracts over they may have triggered the domino effect for what we saw today. The problem is the June contracts which I believe they need to sell in a couple weeks, if those trade at $0 or negative then USO is technically worth $0 right now. I don't see that happening but who knows, any plays on oil right now are very high risk and speculative.

I am in USO for a bounce then I am out. If I am wrong I dont have a ton of cash invested in options (which is why I own calls vs the stock itself) so my downside risk is minimized.

I wish I understood the mechanics of USO, I just have used it as a trading vehicle over the years when oil came up on my trading radar from time to time.

#3672 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Very true but I think the point is by USO rolling those contracts over they may have triggered the domino effect for what we saw today. The problem is the June contracts which I believe they need to sell in a couple weeks, if those trade at $0 or negative then USO is technically worth $0 right now. I don't see that happening but who knows, any plays on oil right now are very high risk and speculative.
I am in USO for a bounce then I am out. If I am wrong I dont have a ton of cash invested in options (which is why I own calls vs the stock itself) so my downside risk is minimized.
I wish I understood the mechanics of USO, I just have used it as a trading vehicle over the years when oil came up on my trading radar from time to time.

Yah I read they recently had to change their structure because of huge inflows. There's some limit, either in their charter or legally, to how much of a particular contract they could own. The inflows pushed them over that limit so that's why they currently have some July in addition to the June. Historically they would have been 100% June right now.

#3673 4 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

I was lazy and didn't do this yet. Very glad I waited.
Just woke up and missed all the chaos, is there somewhere I can go on TDAmeritrade to just buy straight up oil contracts? The last time I asked this the only tip I got was oil stocks, and when I browsed around I couldn't seem to find straight up oil contracts on there.
Thanks in advance for any help

If you're not already, since you have a TDAmeritrade account, download and use Thinkorswim.

#3674 4 years ago

Devastated here Looks like we may have lost one of our great air carriers = less competition = higher prices.
Really sad because they were great to fly with.
Appears shareholders lost everything.

Are you guys expecting any of your air carriers to fall over ?
VA (resized).JPGVA (resized).JPG

#3675 4 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

Devastated here Looks like we may have lost one of our great air carriers = less competition = higher prices.
[quoted image]

I was going to post this and did not get to it.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/20/business/virgin-australia-richard-branson/index.html

" Richard Branson offers his island as collateral as Virgin Atlantic and Virgin Australia face collapse"

"In an open letter to employees, Branson said the survival of Virgin Atlantic and Virgin Australia was important to provide much needed competition to British Airways, an IAG (ICAGY) subsidiary, and Qantas (QABSY). "If Virgin Australia disappears, Qantas would effectively have a monopoly of the Australian skies," he noted."
---------------------------------------
Unlike how the UK is working with its airline companies, the US has offered up 6 months bailout money to out airliners. That money is supposed to go for employees wages. I hope no company cheats.

United Airlines is taking the 6 months of bailout money. On 6 months and one day, UAL will then lay off employees and ground some planes.

Boeing Aircraft has said it expects some lean years. How lean? Don't know.

What is Airbus doing where you are at?

I am trying to think of all the industries that revolve around aviation: Aluminum, electronics, all kinds of machine shops and casting shops will take out the machine tool industry. Machine tools use lots of steel. Rubber tires. Landings eat up tires. No landings no tires. Paint sales will take a hit with less planes are being built. There are a lot of jobs in these industries.

I have no answers. Only questions.

EDIT: I always liked reading about Richard Branson and how he started a record company, Virgin Mail Order Records, and parlayed it into an airline company(s).

#3676 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

Combination of a couple of things.
1. CA uses specially blended gas that isn't readily produced anywhere except in CA refineries. Thus we don't get the benefit of an open market when it comes to buying gasoline. If CAs gas was the nationwide standard, our prices wouldn't differ much from many other states. From an environmental standpoint our special blend, in conjunction with more energy efficient powertrains, have lead to better air quality so the trade off is worth it, IMHO at least.
2. Taxes. So long as our highway infrastructure is funded largely by the gas tax, the less of it we use, the higher the tax has to be to fund these needs and even then the funding is woefully short of what's actually needed. If we taxed gasoline at what we should tax it at to properly fund highway construction/maintenance, you'd be paying very close to $10/gallon... No one would take that without a fight...
Jeff

I believe that the boutique gas that we get does lock us out of the open market, so I will take that as a legitimate reason, not that I am happy about it. Taxes are higher than every other state and, amazingly, the other states have roads as well, so I disagree about your last point. Even allowing for the increased taxes, there is a higher price for gas than taxes would dictate.

#3677 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I am trying to think of all the industries that revolve around aviation: Aluminum, electronics, all kinds of machine shops and casting shops will take out the machine tool industry. Machine tools use lots of steel. Rubber tires. Landings eat up tires. No landings no tires. Paint sales will take a hit with less planes are being built. There are a lot of jobs in these industries.

https://aviationbenefits.org/economic-growth/

65 million jobs and 3.6% of worldwide GDP per the article above

#3678 4 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

Devastated here Looks like we may have lost one of our great air carriers = less competition = higher prices. Really sad because they were great to fly with.
[quoted image]

I burned myself with Delta (DAL), bailed out after a 44% loss. I still don’t think Delta will go bankrupt but a lot of airlines here don’t have much cash on hand, and I think some will. Some will reorganize and some will just go away, like TWA and Pan-Am.

#3679 4 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

[quoted image]

I would guess the larger ones will survive, but the budgets are probably done. Frontier, Spirit, Sun Country, etc.

#3680 4 years ago

Gee, I guess some of these companies will have to go out of business. Because, well, that’s life.

#3681 4 years ago

That’s what people say!

#3682 4 years ago

You’re flying high in April! (Well, maybe not so much).

#3683 4 years ago

Shot down in May!

What do you say Ice? Bullish?

Back to normal soon? RARING BACK!?

#3684 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

https://aviationbenefits.org/economic-growth/
65 million jobs and 3.6% of worldwide GDP per the article above

I look back a little bit about the 1918 epidemic and try to extrapolate some. Just looking for a parallel.

1918 the flu hit while we were at war I Europe. WW I was over in 1919. And then came the Roaring 20s with a stock market that was on fire (lots of margin lending). There is a gap between the war being over and the Roaring 20s getting started. I'd like to find some more on that. Especially, what juice got the Roaring 20s started.

And now, almost everybody has a car and tons of job producing doodads laying around. And, as you allude to, 65 million aviation jobs with many at long term risk. I wonder if we are going to have a Roaring 20s in our era?

When one considers how much of our daily life is dependent on regular and frequent flight schedules it sort of boggles the mind. Any business shipping perishables is going to have major challenges if flights are cut back. We did have daily flights to Las Vegas. I don't know if those will continue. If they go away, Las Vegas will feel it.

This could turn into a real long discussion. Some day in the future.

Nice link BTW.

#3685 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Gee, I guess some of these companies will have to go out of business. Because, well, that’s life.

Everything is too big to fail now. Didn't you know?

#3686 4 years ago

Looks like USO will be putting 20% of their assets in oil contracts expiring TWO months out now. Never seen that happen, but smart so it stabilizes the price of the ETF

https://www.barrons.com/articles/major-oil-etf-shifts-investments-as-market-turmoil-builds-51587397035

#3687 4 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Everything is too big to fail now. Didn't you know?

I think that's what is propping up the stock market so much. Nobody is really worried about companies going bankrupt because they think the Fed will bail them out. Does anyone think a bank will fail? No, so nobody is selling their stock. The automakers might be in serious trouble too yet no one thinks they will fail because they'll get a bailout.

I believe what's really happening hear is that the Fed has taken the fear out of the market. But it's creating an even bigger longer term issue here, if companies aren't afraid to fail, they'll just keep taking bigger and bigger risks.

Nobody stockpiles cash like they should. Apple, Microsoft, Berkshire all stockpile cash for when bad things happen. That's the way it should be. If you didn't plan for a rainy day, then you'd better be talking with lenders and figure your stuff out rather than depending on the government to do it. It's only been a month, some of these companies act like it's been 5 years, lol.

All of these oil companies in trouble just let them go under if they can't find their own financing. If it's worth doing then someone will pick up the pieces and continue on later. The biggest ones will be fine.

The market isn't working naturally at all. Risk and value is all out of whack because the Fed took out the risk. You have to purge weaker companies sometimes, that's just the way it goes.

#3688 4 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

I think that's what is propping up the stock market so much. Nobody is really worried about companies going bankrupt because they think the Fed will bail them out. Does anyone think a bank will fail? No, so nobody is selling their stock. The automakers might be in serious trouble too yet no one thinks they will fail because they'll get a bailout.
I believe what's really happening hear is that the Fed has taken the fear out of the market. But it's creating an even bigger longer term issue here, if companies aren't afraid to fail, they'll just keep taking bigger and bigger risks.
Nobody stockpiles cash like they should. Apple, Microsoft, Berkshire all stockpile cash for when bad things happen. That's the way it should be. If you didn't plan for a rainy day, then you'd better be talking with lenders and figure your stuff out rather than depending on the government to do it. It's only been a month, some of these companies act like it's been 5 years, lol.
All of these oil companies in trouble just let them go under if they can't find their own financing. If it's worth doing then someone will pick up the pieces and continue on later. The biggest ones will be fine.
The market isn't working naturally at all. Risk and value is all out of whack because the Fed took out the risk. You have to purge weaker companies sometimes, that's just the way it goes.

Not to mention piece of shit companies like Shake Shack who got a $10M loan out of the "Small Business" loan from the government. Total BS, they have a market cap of $1.74B, over 7500 employees, and $100M+ cash on hand yet they qualified to essentially steal $10M of government stimulus funds that so many real small businesses needed?

It makes me sick really

#3689 4 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

All of these oil companies in trouble just let them go under if they can't find their own financing

There are a lot of oil jobs at risk in Texas. And all of these fracking companies are built on mountains of debt. Chesapeake might disappear.

Texas holds 38 electoral votes. I say no more.
----------------------------------

#3690 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Not to mention piece of shit companies like Shake Shack who got a $10M loan out of the "Small Business" loan from the government. Total BS, they have a market cap of $1.74B, over 7500 employees, and $100M+ cash on hand yet they qualified to essentially steal $10M of government stimulus funds that so many real small businesses needed?
It makes me sick really

Shake Shack saw the light and took the high road and is not taking the money. I still have no respect for SS for even dipping its hand in the till, but maybe SS will start a trend.

#3691 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Shake Shack saw the light and took the high road and is not taking the money. I still have no respect for SS for even dipping its hand in the till, but maybe SS will start a trend.

I'm glad they did that, still have no idea who even thought they should apply for the cash. Crazy - maybe Ruth's Chris and some other companies will do the same.

#3692 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

It makes me sick really

You know the saying from circa 2004 (that still seems new to me- ha), "Don't hate the player. Hate the game". If it's legal, don't blame someone for doing it. It shouldn't be legal. The loophole is the government's fault. Shame on them for directing tax dollars where it shouldn't go.

This whole concept of what a "small business" is bullshit anyway. To me a small business is the local hardware store (Do those even exist anymore?) or the barber, or a mom and pop restaurant.

#3693 4 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:You know the saying from circa 2004 (that still seems new to me- ha), "Don't hate the player. Hate the game". If it's legal, don't blame someone for doing it. It shouldn't be legal. The loophole is the government's fault. Shame on them for directing tax dollars where it shouldn't go.

It's even worse than that though, I guess some banks were prioritizing the bigger loans because they would get a bigger processing fee or something. That was the rumor today I guess.

#3694 4 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

You know the saying from circa 2004 (that still seems new to me- ha), "Don't hate the player. Hate the game". If it's legal, don't blame someone for doing it. It shouldn't be legal. The loophole is the government's fault. Shame on them for directing tax dollars where it shouldn't go.
This whole concept of what a "small business" is bullshit anyway. To me a small business is the local hardware store (Do those even exist anymore?) or the barber, or a mom and pop restaurant.

I definitely think when a business has a marketcap of over a billion dollars, is publicly listed on a major stock exchange, and has 1/10th of a billion in cash on hand that they lost that Small Business status a long time ago lol

I can't blame the government on this one. Shake Shack management knew damn well they aren't a small business, the loan amount was capped and not everyone could get a piece, and that they had many options such as selling shares to raise capital yet they took the low hanging fruit anyway.

The government left a small business cookie jar out, Shake Shack stuck their greedy little hands into it, got caught, and now are putting the cookie back and saying sorry.

Screw shake shack

But I'm with you on the fact the government should have had better guidelines and rules. It all happened so fast and clearly a ton of taxpayer cash was pissed away. You know, like the $28B spent to bail out the farmers that many people didn't really seem to acknowledge.

That's a whole other rant

#3695 4 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

If you're not already, since you have a TDAmeritrade account, download and use Thinkorswim.

Downloaded Thinkorswim and this is super helpful, thank you!

Still got some research to do on how the oil contracts actually work so I don't buy something stupid, but using this program to see it all is very helpful.

#3696 4 years ago

All of you guys dicking around with oil right now are playing with fire. There are much better and safer parts of the market to be looking at right now unless you know what you are doing.

#3697 4 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

If I had a swimming pool, I'd fill it with oil right now. Is that legal?

Sell your pins and do this?

C2ED2DA8-1D56-491C-8C58-E8035ABE37BF (resized).pngC2ED2DA8-1D56-491C-8C58-E8035ABE37BF (resized).png
#3698 4 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

Sell your pins and do this?[quoted image]

Or this...

1800E75B-FDDB-4511-85BC-74BBA5459E71 (resized).jpeg1800E75B-FDDB-4511-85BC-74BBA5459E71 (resized).jpeg
#3699 4 years ago

With oil tanking.....see what i did there?
Ive been watching railroad stocks this past month. Lower fuel cost and demand for supply chain.....
What's the consensus?
Also keeping an eye on the mouse, DIS. Thinking in about a week to two, this could hit $90 a share again.

#3700 4 years ago

I am still short my TZA. I was too early setting up my 2 entry trades. My risk level does NOT keep me up at night. But fear keeps me from adding more.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 21,020 posts in this topic. You are on page 74 of 421.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders/page/74 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.