IMG_7948 (resized).jpeg
kuiil-have-spoken.gif
200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 20,991 posts in this topic. You are on page 73 of 420.
#3602 4 years ago
Quoted from taz:

How in the world is Disney up 4.5% today and still above $100 a share? Their resorts, theme parks, movie filming, and cruise line are shuttered for the foreseeable future. ESPN might as well be shuttered unless they're broadcasting lawnmower racing. AMC theaters and all of their Marvel/Pixar/etc showing screens is on the bankruptcy ropes. It'll take at least a year and a vaccine to get the resorts and theme parks back up and running at a reasonable pace. They just bought Fox movies and other than getting some Marvel characters back, those Fox movies that opened in the past six months haven't done very well. All I can think of that's left is maybe ABC and Disney+ which is very new and has lived mostly off of eight short episodes of the Mandalorian, from what I can tell. Does anyone know what I'm missing?

Good question. I went to Universal 20 years go. Social distancing of 6 feet minimum will not happen easily. And how many parents with kids are going to have the money for, what I heard was, $100.00 a ticket?

#3603 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Good question. I went to Universal 20 years go. Social distancing of 6 feet minimum will not happen easily. And how many parents with kids are going to have the money for, what I heard was, $100.00 a ticket?

see link above

#3604 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

EDIT: Just started reading the link Ice posted. I'll need to study that. So, my answer is I have no #$%^ clue.

#3605 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

see link above

We are talking past each other

#3606 4 years ago

Buffett is like Biff from Back to the future when he took a sports Almanac back in time, the guy can’t lose!

17B15546-21EB-49BD-8683-675B8CEBE2F6 (resized).jpeg17B15546-21EB-49BD-8683-675B8CEBE2F6 (resized).jpeg
#3607 4 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

OT: do they go off your 2018 or 2019 earnings?

They go off your 2019 if you've filed them, 2018 if you haven't. Ultimately it's based on your 2020 return, so if you didn't get the full amount based on your 2018/2019 return, and you would get more based on your 2020 (you made less in 2020), you'll get more as a credit when you file next year.

#3608 4 years ago

Buffett is like Biff from Back to the future when he took a sports Almanac back in time, the guy can’t lose![quoted image]

Insider information, just like all the super rich and connected.

#3609 4 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Takes money to make money, usually using someone else's!

#3610 4 years ago

Buffett is like Biff from Back to the future when he took a sports Almanac back in time, the guy can’t lose![quoted image]

Almost no one goes broke with the levels of wealth Buffet has. He loses money too but at some point you’re so damn rich it’s a rounding error.

In the time buffet has been investing (late 70s onward) we have had a regime of deregulation, lower interest rates (except for the volker inflation crush) and in general a bigger stock market. He rode the wave long like everyone else. The stock market was, when he started investing, not something mom and pop invested in; most had defined benefit pensions through their employers. Then 401ks come along and a big wave of money gradually makes it into all assets.

This is not a comment on his politics but look at Trump. Started with a few million dollars from his dad put into real estate, now has probably 2 billion. Once you are that rich you can afford all the tricks rich people do to make money. You keep your winnings and declare BK and let others take the loss. Companies you own lobby for bailouts. Government policy to close public housing projects, deregulation of rent control in major metros, it’s just hard to lose.

#3611 4 years ago

Can someone explain why oil stocks were up today?? Is this Bizarro world??

#3612 4 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Almost no one goes broke with the levels of wealth Buffet has. He loses money too but at some point you’re so damn rich it’s a rounding error.
In the time buffet has been investing (late 70s onward) we have had a regime of deregulation, lower interest rates (except for the volker inflation crush) and in general a bigger stock market. He rode the wave long like everyone else. The stock market was, when he started investing, not something mom and pop invested in; most had defined benefit pensions through their employers. Then 401ks come along and a big wave of money gradually makes it into all assets.
This is not a comment on his politics but look at Trump. Started with a few million dollars from his dad put into real estate, now has probably 2 billion. Once you are that rich you can afford all the tricks rich people do to make money. You keep your winnings and declare BK and let others take the loss. Companies you own lobby for bailouts. Government policy to close public housing projects, deregulation of rent control in major metros, it’s just hard to lose.

I think I remember reading that his "small million dollar loan" from his dad was actually closer a half billion. It's just what I read. Could be fake news.

#3613 4 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

I think I remember reading that his "small million dollar loan" from his dad was actually closer a half billion. It's just what I read. Could be fake news.

Doubt it was half a billion. But if you invested in real estate during an era of declining interest rates, hard to lose.

#3614 4 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Buffet was not born super rich. From the stories I had read about him, he was making money with a news paper route and buying stocks when he was a kid. He definitely buys the business without paying too much attention to today's stock price.

If you can believe everything you read, he bought Nebraska Furniture from the lady who founded it on a handshake deal. He bought Union Pacific railroad with a phone call and took it "private" buy folding it into Berkshire.

And when people talk about which stocks Buffet is buying, something to keep in mind is that with all the cash he keeps around, he is the goto guy when companies fall on hard times and he get some swinging deals for being the moneyman. Like a big basket of warrants, or gets 8% dividend yields.

Just like if you went and bought a gas station on the corner. You are planning on being there awhile. And the value of the real estate your station is sitting on will fluctuate as time goes buy, but mostly you are going to be more concerned about your sales and paying the bills. You will not sell your station tomorrow just because real estate prices took a hit. You are going to keep selling gas and oil and paying the bills. And if RE prices decline enough, you may look into buying a competitor's station down the street and start growing your business. That's how Buffet buys companies.

#3615 4 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Doubt it was half a billion. But if you invested in real estate during an era of declining interest rates, hard to lose.

According to Wikipedia it was $413 million. Given that he should be far wealthier than he is today.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wealth_of_Donald_Trump#Gifts,_loans,_and_other_wealth_from_his_father

#3616 4 years ago

Part of yesterday's pop was the news announcement that Boeing is opening its production lines in Seattle back up after a month of shut down.

But really, Boeing opening back up is not all streamers and pom poms.

I live in the Air Capital City. Used to work for Boeing and Beech Aircraft. I was just a low level shop floor wonk, but when you work in an industry you get some ideas of what is going on.

One of my jobs at Beech was aircraft parts buyer. You would havre no idea how many mom and pop shops are planted around the country whose sole reason for existence is to support the aircraft builders.

This article pretty much tells it like it is. What will all this do for Boeing's stock? I have no idea, but this industry is on its knees.

And while the 2008-2009 recession brought light plane/light jet/Learjet market to a standstill (remember when Congress asked Ford, GM, and Chrysler how they arrived in Washington for their govt. handout) Boeing and the heavy jet market kept cruising on. This time, with commercial flights getting hammered, the private aviation market may be the one flying high; If you are a businessman that needs to get to point B and there is only one flight a week, you are going to fly private.

I do not know the company's fundamentals, but Textron might be worth looking at. TXT owns Cessna and Beech and Bell Helicopter. These are the kings in the private flight industry. But TXT has a real ugly stock chart. As noted, I don't know the fundamentals.

Anyway, here is Boeing and the worldwide aviation industry. Enjoy.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/18/business/boeing-longterm-outlook-coronavirus/index.html

"So why exactly is Boeing building jets again? Mainly, to help support its suppliers, many of whom have been badly damaged by Boeing's problems with the 737 Max, which temporarily stopped production in January."

" But while Boeing is doing what it can to help suppliers by resuming production, it's simultaneously preparing for lean years ahead."

#3617 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

According to Wikipedia it was $413 million. Given that he should be far wealthier than he is today.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wealth_of_Donald_Trump#Gifts,_loans,_and_other_wealth_from_his_father

You’re discounting all of the fun he has had along the way.

#3618 4 years ago

Oil futures crashed a third overnight... A barrel of oil is now... about $11. I am 33 years old. In my entire life oil has only been cheaper than that about 6 months. Going to be an interesting day on the market. What happens when the demand for oil is so low there is no place to store it?

Good thing I bought OXY week before last at $15 a share. Going to be holding onto that one for a little while I expect.

market (resized).pngmarket (resized).png
#3619 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Oil futures crashed a third overnight... A barrel of oil is now... about $11. I am 33 years old. In my entire life oil has only been cheaper than that about 6 months. Going to be an interesting day on the market. What happens when the demand for oil is so low there is no place to store it?
Good thing I bought OXY week before last at $15 a share. Going to be holding onto that one for a little while I expect.

I wonder which oil stocks might be worth a good buy today? OXY, CVX, HAL, XOM? Do any of you plan to tip your toes into these waters today?

#3620 4 years ago

Technically $11 is true, but it's a little misleading as that's the May contract that's about to expire. The June contract is still around $23. So in a couple days will the headline be that oil is up over 100% from $11 to $23?

#3621 4 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Technically $11 is true, but it's a little misleading as that's the May contract that's about to expire. The June contract is still around $23. So in a couple days will the headline be that oil is up over 100% from $11 to $23?

Maybe.

Right now the headline is "Oil on track for worst day ever".

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/20/coronavirus-us-oil-prices-collapse-as-storage-runs-out.html

#3622 4 years ago
Quoted from taz:

I wonder which oil stocks might be worth a good buy today? OXY, CVX, HAL, XOM? Do any of you plan to tip your toes into these waters today?

XOM got down to $30 a month ago. Now it's up $10 from there while oil is much lower. Still paying a 8% dividend for now. I own it in the mid 50s. Not planning to add any more, but not selling either.

#3623 4 years ago

Probably worth a gamble that the June contract could drop 50% in a month if the storage problem doesn't get better.

#3624 4 years ago

I’ve seen USO thrown around in this thread. It looks like a fund as opposed to a stock. Does that just mean it invests in oil futures and I buy it like a stock? Similar to how my 401k funds work?

I was thinking of buying some USO but don’t want it to expire or something weird to happen that I don’t know about.

#3625 4 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I’ve seen USO thrown around in this thread. It looks like a fund as opposed to a stock. Does that just mean it invests in oil futures and I buy it like a stock? Similar to how my 401k funds work?
I was thinking of buying some USO but don’t want it to expire or something weird to happen that I don’t know about.

USO is based on oil futures, so it's always selling the current month futures and buying the next month futures to roll them forward. With the May futures at half the price of the June futures, it's kind of like it's selling oil at $11 and buying it back at $23. I over-simplified, but you can read more about it here. It's a losing bet most of the time.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4338311-betting-on-higher-oil-prices-uso-is-not-right-vehicle

#3626 4 years ago

Good thing I bought OXY week before last at $15 a share. Going to be holding onto that one for a little while I expect.[quoted image]

Gas is still $2.49 here in Oregon
I rebought my small position in OXY this morning.

#3627 4 years ago

Good day to buy USO calls?

#3628 4 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

XOM got down to $30 a month ago. Now it's up $10 from there while oil is much lower. Still paying a 8% dividend for now. I own it in the mid 50s. Not planning to add any more, but not selling either.

I bought XOM for $50 in early March when it was falling.... Was not expecting it to go as low as it did! Was tempted to buy more as it dipped into the low $30's, but I chickened out. I too will just hold and see where it goes. Patience has made me a lot of money.... My biggest mistakes in the market have been selling stuff too soon.

#3629 4 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

What I read a couple of weeks ago was that XOM was going to be selling some "stuff" for lack of a better word. It sounded like XOM considers its dividend sacrosanct.

But many times a stock has a high dividend for a reason. 8% sounds like a too good to be true story. I mean, why aren't the pros bidding this stock up with low yields on everything else ?

#3630 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

What I read a couple of weeks ago was that XOM was going to be selling some "stuff" for lack of a better word. It sounded like XOM considers its dividend sacrosanct.
But many times a stock has a high dividend for a reason. 8% sounds like a too good to be true story. I mean, why aren't the pros bidding this stock up with low yields on everything else ?

I've listened to their CEO talk about the dividend a few times. What they do is during bad times they pay the dividend with debt, then during good times they pay the debt back down. So their balance sheet is a tool to keep the dividend safe and growing. That will work until it doesn't, but they've raised their dividend for 37 consecutive years, so they've been through several downturns already.

Anybody up for a trip to Canada? Apparently they're paying people $3/barrel to take their oil right now.

#3631 3 years ago
Quoted from taz:

Not me

EPD, pipeline safer, toll booth

SHOP anyone?

$346 on April 2nd

#3632 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Not me
EPD, pipeline safer, toll booth
SHOP anyone?
$346 on April 2nd

Holy Crap, SHOP has gone crazy, unbelievable.

#3633 3 years ago

General Disclaimer on my comments posted here. Just for informational purposes only.

"These views are subject to change at any time based upon market or other conditions and are current as of the date at the top of the page. The information, analysis, and opinions expressed herein are for general information only and are not intended to provide specific advice or recommendations for any individual or entity.

This material is not an offer, solicitation or recommendation to purchase any security.

Forecasting represents predictions of market prices and/or volume patterns utilizing varying analytical data. It is not representative of a projection of the stock market, or of any specific investment.

Nothing contained in this material is intended to constitute legal, tax, securities or investment advice, nor an opinion regarding the appropriateness of any investment. The general information contained in this publication should not be acted upon without obtaining specific legal, tax and investment advice from a licensed professional.

Please remember that all investments carry some level of risk, including the potential loss of principal invested. They do not typically grow at an even rate of return and may experience negative growth. As with any type of portfolio structuring, attempting to reduce risk and increase return could, at certain times, unintentionally reduce returns.

The information, analysis and opinions expressed herein are for general information only and are not intended to provide specific advice or recommendations for any individual entity."

#3634 3 years ago

Two hours in to the trading day and the XLE (S&P energy sector fund) is up

#3635 3 years ago

With that in mind, see disclosure above but i've just bought into IBB biotech for myself. Look at the 5 yr chart, mostly large cap. Breakout to new 52 week highs. Coronavirus.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4335129-bear-turning-bull-on-ibb-based-on-recent-developments

#3636 3 years ago

Holy Crap. Oil futures for May delivery now down under $9 per barrel. That's a 50% day over day drop.

oil (resized).pngoil (resized).png
#3637 3 years ago

Just sold my SHOP, will wait for a pullback

#3638 3 years ago

Holy Crap. Oil futures for May delivery now down under $9 per barrel. That's a 50% day over day drop.[quoted image]

I paid $1.29 for gas yesterday. It took 10 gallons to fill up. At 20 mpg. 200 miles. Last fill up was 4 weeks ago . 70 miles was special trip to the vet for the dog's medicine.

#3639 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Just sold my SHOP, will wait for a pullback

loving:
AMD SHOP & TEAM

#3640 3 years ago

Oil now $2 a barrel.

#3641 3 years ago

Oil now $2 a barrel.

If I had a swimming pool, I'd fill it with oil right now. Is that legal?

#3643 3 years ago

$1.15 a barrel... could it go negative?

#3644 3 years ago

$1.15 a barrel... could it go negative?

Yes, I've seen it somewhere that it actually can.

#3645 3 years ago

It got down to a penny...

And now negative 8.61 a barrel. Crazy.

#3646 3 years ago

Wouldn't FDX and UPS be great buys here? Most purchases are online with everybody stuck at home and oil is free so gas prices would give them a boost.

#3647 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

It got down to a penny...
And now negative 8.61 a barrel. Crazy.

How is that even possible?

#3648 3 years ago

It closed at -37.63. You get paid 37630 to take 1000 barrels of oil.....

#3649 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

If I had a swimming pool, I'd fill it with oil right now. Is that legal?

Cheaper than water. Of course, brings me back to a childhood memory when my stepdad would somehow turn off the water meter before filling our pool in the backyard every year.

#3650 3 years ago

I'm just gonna go fill up at the gas station and leave a note saying "you're welcome"

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 12.95
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

There are 20,991 posts in this topic. You are on page 73 of 420.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders/page/73 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.