IMG_7948 (resized).jpeg
kuiil-have-spoken.gif
200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 20,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 68 of 420.
#3351 4 years ago

This is starting to remind me more and more of the late 80's.
Higher taxes will almost certainly have to come within 5 years to offset the debt that is building.

#3352 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

I remember a couple of weeks ago the President said the government "made a lot of money" off the 07/08 stimulus packages.

Correct. TARP made the government around 15 billion in profits.

Looks like all their bailouts combined back then made a profit of 121 billion:

https://projects.propublica.org/bailout/

#3353 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

I remember a couple of weeks ago the President said the government "made a lot of money"

So that would be dozens of dollars?

#3354 4 years ago

Iceman is 100% right with don't fight The Fed.

All I can say is that Trump and company know how to "stretch a dollar."

First, it is announced that all kinds of money is going to be pumped into the economy.

But it will be 3 weeks or so before the money can start flowing.

Then the country is going to be open for Easter April 12.

Then 4-12 gets pushed back to 4-30.

And now today's announcement.

This makes me wonder what they will come up with next.
------------------------------

Nobody has got an unemployment check yet. Some states' antiquated systems do not seem to be up to the task.

No small business owner has gotten any money, yet.

People cannot pay their rent. And landlords are not being very forgiving. There will be riots in the streets over this.
-----------------------------------------------

So far, it is all words from the government. I am not knocking it. It has been a nice game plan, IMO.

Half the time the world is managed with bullshit. But the absolute last thing you want is for your leadership to run around acting like its hair is on fire--even if it is on fire.

You can agree with what is gong on, or you can disagree, but I must say that I am impressed, for the most part, with how it is being handled. There is no room for Monday Morning quarterbacking because a new play book is being written every day.

#3355 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Higher taxes will almost certainly have to come within 5 years to offset the debt that is building.

They'll also use this to fuel the argument that we can no longer afford "entitlements" like social security and medicare, even though the government can pull $2 trillion out of its rear end every couple of weeks.

#3356 4 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

They'll also use this to fuel the argument that we can no longer afford "entitlements" like social security and medicare, even though the government can pull $2 trillion out of its rear end every couple of weeks.

I Accidentally put this in the 'rona topic:

Coming in 2022:

#3357 4 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

There should be plenty of SS money with all of these old-timers dying off. But some 95 year old dude checking out is not much help; He has already bled the system dry It needs to be the 62 to 70 years old passing on without having the time to have collected too much.

#3358 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

This debt is borrowed at such low rates the runway will be much longer than 5 years. A few trillion here or there is nothing these days. LOL

And btw, that's the actual COST of saving 60,000 people. Not to be crass or insensitive.

But undoubtedly, if you aren't taking advantage of doing Roth Conversions while taxes are on sale, up to the 24% marginal bracket, then you can't see the higher taxes on future RMD train coming down the track!

Plan accordingly, we have done a ton of Roth conversions for clients that are eligible, not beyond the 24% income bracket, pay taxes while equities are down AND get the tax free ride back up.

#3359 4 years ago

KPG is long now! Blew through 23,700 resistance. All in brother?

#3360 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

And btw, that's the actual COST of saving 60,000 people. Not to be crass or insensitive.

Probably tens of thousands more than that in the country. Hell, maybe that many just in NY. What do you think would have happened without shutting down NYC?

Crass?

#3361 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

KPG is long now! Blew through 23,700 resistance. All in brother?

Oh hell no man.

This is what I said I thought would happen yesterday and it's playing out, gap market up huge to squeeze shorts and get the bulls to jump in - we arent closed yet, the 23,700 area is still being battled - a little spike over is not a confirmation just yet. I'll definitely tell you when I will get in long though.

Total coin flip right here in the markets - very interesting to watch. I can't get in until there is a convincing move with high volume. Its all about how it closes today so I likely wont do anything because of the long weekend. Anything can happen at this point. Which reaffirms why I exited all short positions yesterday, money saved is money earned.

By the way, spoke with a friend who works at Pimco yesterday and they said they are in the process of becoming more "liquid" .. as in raising cash and selling equities into this.. if that tells you anything.

#3362 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

This debt is borrowed at such low rates the runway will be much longer than 5 years. A few trillion here or there is nothing these days. LOL
But undoubtedly, if you aren't taking advantage of doing Roth Conversions while taxes are on sale, up to the 24% marginal bracket, then you can't see the higher taxes on future RMD train coming down the track!
Plan accordingly, we have done a ton of Roth conversions for clients that are eligible, not beyond the 24% income bracket, pay taxes while equities are down AND get the tax free ride back up.

My understanding is that I cannot convert to a Roth in the TSP. I also am not sure how that would help when I am making a lot of income now as compared to when I would be retired and only getting a small pension and social security and a very low tax bracket in comparison.

#3363 4 years ago

Once again the government is playing market god. Iceman is so right, never fight the Fed! How many billionaire and millionaire insiders knew this was coming, which explains the irrational move up for the last 5 trading days. This is what you call buying an election with tax payer money and the average American is too stupid to understand it. We will have low interest rates for eternity and a 30 Trillion dollar debt load. We are setting up the greatest bubble in history.........Damn I hate all politicians both the Democrats and Republicans. What ever happened to fiscal responsibility.

#3364 4 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Once again the government is playing market god. Iceman is so right, never fight the Fed! How many billionaire and millionaire insiders knew this was coming, which explains the irrational move up for the last 5 trading days. This is what you call buying an election with tax payer money and the average American is too stupid to understand it. We will have low interest rates for eternity and a 30 Trillion dollar debt load. We are setting up the greatest bubble in history.........Damn I hate all politicians both the Democrats and Republicans. What ever happened to fiscal responsibility.

Claiming bankruptcy is considered 'genius'. That's what happened.

#3365 4 years ago

What I can’t wrap my head around is that we are literally in a National Emergency but it feels like the markets sold off harder at the beginning of 2019.. still trying to figure out what makes this shit tick.. I am guessing it is unknowable.

#3366 4 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

What I can’t wrap my head around is that we are literally in a National Emergency but it feels like the markets sold off harder at the begging of 2019.. still trying to figure out what makes this shit tick.. I am guessing it is unknowable.

I will say I can't see all the people out of work dumping more money into the market right now...so what's left?

#3367 4 years ago

It has to be all the big money institutions guiding the market. They are the ones with market changing money amounts. They do this for a living and us average Joe's are just along for the ride unfortunately.

#3368 4 years ago

All of this talk is such a contrarian indicator to me. Everyone here is thinking its going to keep going up forever. Its crazy how multiple green days can make people so bullish.

I dont have a position in play off this though. Who knows. I could be wrong. But I dont feel right enough to place big bets on the downside either lol

And to that point, people who think you cant fight the Fed and it will keep going up wont buy big today either. Iceman, you a buyer here? The Fed has got this right..

#3369 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

All of this talk is such a contrarian indicator to me. Everyone here is thinking its going to keep going up forever. Its crazy how multiple green days can make people so bullish.

You're referring to the 'if everyone says things are great, get out?' 'if everyone says the sky is falling, get in?'

I'm not clear on which of these we are....seems pretty split...

#3370 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I dont have a position in play off this though. Who knows. I could be wrong. But I dont feel right enough to place big bets on the downside either lol
And to that point, people who think you cant fight the Fed and it will keep going up wont buy big today either. Iceman, you a buyer here? The Fed has got this right..

Everybody posting but Ice is on the sidelines waiting for it to go down. That doesn't sound contrarian to me. That money on the sidelines should act as support on declines.

#3371 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

You're referring to the 'if everyone says things are great, get out?' 'if everyone says the sky is falling, get in?'
I'm not clear on which of these we are....seems pretty split...

Much more than that - but that way of thinking kept me all cash during the market crash and out of trouble, rather than trying to assume things will keep going up. It's sometimes just safer to be "out" then "in" no matter what you think.

I just dont see a reason to be either as of today, that's all I am saying. But here's why I *wouldnt* be in long:

1) Terrible economical data. Sure, market hasnt sold on it and that's fine. But, its bad and all incoming numbers will be worse
2) Dow has retraced 6500+ points from the lows
3) Buying volume is literally non-existent except during the first 30mins of the day after a manipulated futures gap up
4) Investors are starting to feel bullish and too confident the market will continue to rise
5) Markets at key resistance levels
6) Earnings releases start to come out next week. How are those going to look? How about future guidance? Not good i'd think..

This is not a good thing to be long
But a bit too early to short.

If all you have to buy and hold here is hoping the Federal Government is here to protect you, and that's it- good luck on that.

#3372 4 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Everybody posting but Ice is on the sidelines waiting for it to go down. That doesn't sound contrarian to me. That money on the sidelines should act as support on declines.

I meant by contrarian meaning the posts I am seeing are feeling confidence the markets will continue to rise - hoping they go down is one thing, many of us are - but feeling overly confident the market will continue to stay strong after a big drop/crash is what I meant.

#3373 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

... It needs to be the 62 to 70 years old passing on without having the time to have collected too much.

Oh, like my folks. So for the long term gain of the federal govt, we need to bring back smoking.

#3374 4 years ago

I bailed on OXY today, bought at $13.30 and sold at $17.91.. I will look to rebuy later.. thanks for the tip KPG

#3375 4 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I bailed on OXY today, bought at $13.30 and sold at $17.91.. I will look to rebuy later.. thanks for the tip KPG

Nice trade dude!! I got out of mine a bit too early myself in the $15.50's, excellent. Chart looked ready to rip + oil rebounding.

#3376 4 years ago
Quoted from LateCenturyMods:

Oh, like my folks. So for the long term gain of the federal govt, we need to bring back smoking.

I wrote that post in jest. Figured it would worth some thumbs down.

Boy, was I wrong.

#3377 4 years ago

Oil...So uh..hooray for price fixing? smh... I know there's lots of oil lovers out there, but this is bull.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/opec-agrees-deep-oil-output-151440841.html

#3378 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Oil...So uh..hooray for price fixing? smh... I know there's lots of oil lovers out there, but this is bull.
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/opec-agrees-deep-oil-output-151440841.html

OPEC has always manipulated oil prices. We're only a few weeks away from running out of storage worldwide for the oil being pumped.

#3379 4 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

OPEC has always manipulated oil prices. We're only a few weeks away from running out of storage worldwide for the oil being pumped.

I said somewhere the other day that, after 40 years of the U.S. driving at OPEC to keep the prices down, that we are now partners with OPEC and Russia to get the prices up. It is jobs, of course, but more importantly, it is the 38 electoral votes that the state of Texas holds.

The whole thing started when Russia would not cut back because Putin wants the US to cut back, as well. Can't say I blame Putin. Why should he cut back just so the U.S. can keep pumping?

So, now that the U.S. is exporting oil we will be the new partner with OPEC.
Unknown (resized).jpegUnknown (resized).jpeg

#3380 4 years ago

Wow..

Closed right at 23,715

Big battle at that 23,700 / 200d moving average today.. flip a coin.

Next week will be fun. Have a nice long weekend guys and Happy Easter

time

#3381 4 years ago

Best week for the DOW in 82 years (and it was only a 4 day week).

#3382 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I said somewhere the other day that, after 40 years of the U.S. driving at OPEC to keep the prices down, that we are now partners with OPEC and Russia to get the prices up. It is jobs, of course, but more importantly, it is the 38 electoral votes that the state of Texas holds.
The whole thing started when Russia would not cut back because Putin wants the US to cut back, as well. Can't say I blame Putin. Why should he cut back just so the U.S. can keep pumping?
So, now that the U.S. is exporting oil we will be the new partner with OPEC.
[quoted image]

US needs to cut back too, but I don't think the individual companies can legally agree to as that's price fixing. Maybe they will do it with a wink and a nod.

#3383 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Oh hell no man.
This is what I said I thought would happen yesterday and it's playing out, gap market up huge to squeeze shorts and get the bulls to jump in - we arent closed yet, the 23,700 area is still being battled - a little spike over is not a confirmation just yet. I'll definitely tell you when I will get in long though.
Total coin flip right here in the markets - very interesting to watch. I can't get in until there is a convincing move with high volume. Its all about how it closes today so I likely wont do anything because of the long weekend. Anything can happen at this point. Which reaffirms why I exited all short positions yesterday, money saved is money earned.
By the way, spoke with a friend who works at Pimco yesterday and they said they are in the process of becoming more "liquid" .. as in raising cash and selling equities into this.. if that tells you anything.

Yeah, i've seen El Erian's commentary the prior several weeks. I wish i would have heeded his warning at the outset of this downturn. He's been pretty silent since the end of March.

Allianz keeps a tight conservative reign on Pimco and subs, it's their German nature . "Bond King" Bill Gross found out the hard way, but his arrogance did him in and El Erian ultimately won that battle.

I like Santoli, he had a good chart on the S&P today. Pointing to a breakout above this level, but, i'll believe it when i see it. I'd prefer some consolidation and side ways action or a drifting lower.

We are about to get quarterly commentary from these companies, the problem is it might be meaningless, except in the case of Disney's recent type news, they are all pulling their "forward guidance".

3rd and 4th quarters we pull out of the "technical recession" dramatically. It seems so far away and fear and panic still grip this country and the markets. That should create further opportunity. We shall see!

Have a great weekend fellas!

#3384 4 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

That's what I was just looking at, the movement this week (and even last) is massive....

#3385 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

That's what I was just looking at, the movement this week (and even last) is massive....

I went to 100% cash in my and my wife's Roths at the close. They were pretty conservative and they were back to flat on the year with this weeks move. Planning to switch those from mutual funds to ETFs in the coming weeks for more flexibility.

Other accounts are still pretty close to fully invested. They've recovered about 75% of their losses now. I used this week to raise a little cash and sell a ton of calls against most of the holdings in those accounts. I feel better than I have since February now. At the lows on that Monday two weeks ago I was down about $175k.

#3386 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Wow..
Closed right at 23,715
Big battle at that 23,700 / 200d moving average today.. flip a coin.
Next week will be fun. Have a nice long weekend guys and Happy Easter
time

Oh shit.. market closed tomorrow? I didn't even think about that. It doesn't really affect me too much, I'm just picking days to make contributions to kid's college accounts. I wish I had more money to throw at stuff for fun.

#3387 4 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

The best that money can buy!

#3388 4 years ago

Sold my RRGB stake for a 1% loss and bought oxy at the close. Still holding on to CBRL. At a 10% loss there but Its something I think Id like to keep.

#3389 4 years ago

Hope no one really did cash out their 401k (or even switch to safer investments with 5+ years to work) when the DOW was around 18,000 as these past two weeks prove why such an action is not advisable.

#3390 4 years ago

This rally is impressive, mostly because the key stock market driver over the last few years has been stock buybacks. Those are dead now. So it’s all the fed for the time being.

Every country is in the same boat. “How we pay for it” is the same way we paid for it during the last crisis. Higher debt to GDP. The entire world is basically Japan now. It sucks because this means we won’t see investment in infrastructure or anything that really adds value... just a more fragile economy in more debt at the end of the day.

#3391 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Hope no one really did cash out their 401k (or even switch to safer investments with 5+ years to work) when the DOW was around 18,000 as these past two weeks prove why such an action is not advisable.

Not at that level but right around here. Looking for a pull back to get back in.

#3392 4 years ago

starting to look like covid is not going to be as bad as first expected. devil's advocate.... what if there is no major pull back, when would you get back in?

questions like that make me hold forever and keep on buying regularly.

#3393 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I think a couple people posted that they did. Go read through the thread 20-25 days ago. Hopefully they got back in.

#3394 4 years ago

Does anyone think that the S&P at 2790 right now is priced even more richly than it was at 3390 a month and a half ago?

#3395 4 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Does anyone think that the S&P at 2790 right now is priced even more richly than it was at 3390 a month and a half ago?

Priced for second quarter 2020 earnings? Absolutely. It's probably like a 40 PE. Priced for fourth quarter 2021 earnings? It's probably quite a bit cheaper.

#3396 4 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

starting to look like covid is not going to be as bad as first expected.

It’s still so early in the ballgame. But even so, 10,000 dead Americans and 16 million having filed for unemployment over the last four weeks is BAD. LOTS of businesses will have closed and there won’t just be 16 million people rehired once we have a solution. This is a slog; it’s going to be at least a year before the stock market is not in a bear market minimum.

#3397 4 years ago

Things like this doesn't give me a warm fuzzy, and is completely contradictory with the recent market action, which looks more like a dead cat bounce.

JP Morgan has sharply revised down its already dark forecast for second quarter economic growth. It now expects U.S. gross domestic product will shrink a staggering 40% in the second quarter on an annualized basis.

That’s down from an estimate of -25% just a couple of weeks ago.

“Over the last few weeks forecasters have been operating in a fog,” wrote JP Morgan economists in a research note. “More recently, however, we are starting to get some shreds of data on the magnitude of the economic crisis.”

The revision was in part due to the sharper-than-expected spike in weekly jobless claims, which have climbed a cumulative 16.8 million in just three weeks.

“With these data in hand we think the April jobs report could indicate about 25 million jobs lost since the March survey week, and an unemployment rate around 20%,” they said.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/pedrodacosta/2020/04/09/jp-morgan-now-sees-40-plunge-in-gdp-unemployment-surge-to-20/#141a245a436c

#3398 4 years ago

Dow down from 30k to around 24k.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/imf-sees-world-in-worst-slump-since-the-great-depression/ar-BB12nW4g

Can't help think a ton of irrational exuberance right now.

If you look at what is really going on, markets are just priced too high.

I don't know where they will go from here but going long feels brave indeed.

#3399 4 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

It’s still so early in the ballgame. But even so, 10,000 dead Americans and 16 million having filed for unemployment over the last four weeks is BAD.

Many people were saying it was going to be 1.3-2 million Americans. Even the Feds said 230,000 dead in months.

#3400 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Many people were saying it was going to be 1.3-2 million Americans. Even the Feds said 230,000 dead in months.

Yes, if we did nothing 2 million deaths. We shut the economy down, so we are going to see less deaths. But I think 230k dead is still in play.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 12.95
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 20,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 68 of 420.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders/page/68?hl=phil-lee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.