kuiil-have-spoken.gif
200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
hawks.gif

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 20,986 posts in this topic. You are on page 63 of 420.
#3101 4 years ago

Here is the watchlist of stocks that I am looking at now. Any thoughts?
Apple
Microsoft
Raytheon
Boeing
McDonalds
Dollar General
Mastercard

#3102 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Apple
Microsoft
Raytheon
Boeing
McDonalds
Dollar General
Mastercard

I would love to pick up some Apple, but I’m wanting to jump in around $200.. not sure if she will go that low.

#3103 4 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I would love to pick up some Apple, but I’m wanting to jump in around $200.. not sure if she will go that low.

I would love for it to get that low. I will probably start nibbling in the 220s.

#3104 4 years ago

I'm thinking of picking up 1k shares of AAL. Anyone want to talk me out of it?

#3106 4 years ago

I personally do not like travel and hospitality stocks at this time but that is just me. AAL will get a bailout of some sort, and is probably a pretty good long term play. However, so much of these sectors are dependent upon how long this lasts and how long it will take to recover.

#3107 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Apple
Microsoft
Raytheon
Boeing
McDonalds
Dollar General
Mastercard

RTN is on my watchlist and is hard to figure out at present. They are trying to finish up a merger and I read that a good value for them would be $182-$184. They passed that and were around $230 for a little while. This whole ordeal has now tanked them by $100 a share, way below the value the article talked about.

#3108 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Apple
Microsoft
Raytheon
Boeing
McDonalds
Dollar General
Mastercard

Without researching them and in my best Wall Street speak. I like MasterCard. And Visa. People are not going put their credit cards away. And there is the possibility they might even use them more.

Raytheon has a nice chart pattern and is involved with government in defense and drug interdiction. The Prez has amped up the drug interdiction efforts and the military has pretty much given a free hand in how the militaries work to shut down the cocaine out of Columbia and Venezuela.

I know nothing about DG's stock, but where DG locates its stores it seems to me it will be insulated from the fallout.

#3109 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Without researching them and in my best Wall Street speak. I like MasterCard. And Visa. People are not going put their credit cards away. And there is the possibility they might even use them more.
Raytheon has a nice chart pattern and is involved with government in defense and drug interdiction. The Prez has amped up the drug interdiction efforts and the military has pretty much given a free hand in how the militaries work to shut down the cocaine out of Columbia and Venezuela.
I know nothing about DG's stock, but where DG locates its stores it seems to me it will be insulated from the fallout.

Hey cottonm4 just curious, any reason you left out American Express? Looks like it's behavior was a bit different today than mastercard and visa that you mentioned, so I'm curious your thoughts on it.

#3110 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Ever been in a DG? Small, cramped stores with a small number of employees. Their primary customers? The folks most likely to get you sick.

#3111 4 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

RTN is on my watchlist and is hard to figure out at present. They are trying to finish up a merger and I read that a good value for them would be $182-$184. They passed that and were around $230 for a little while. This whole ordeal has now tanked them by $100 a share, way below the value the article talked about.

The merger was completed this week. They are in a fantastic position as a defense contractor right now.

#3112 4 years ago

Well damn guys my watchlist can't get much longer haha! JK I love all the recommendations, keep em coming.

#3113 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Ever been in a DG? Small, cramped stores with a small number of employees. Their primary customers? The folks most likely to get you sick.

Just because I don't shop at Dollar General (and evidently neither do you) that does not mean that we should be classist or look down on it. They tend to serve smaller, more rural, and less affluent areas. Economic recovery is going to take a while and they are well positioned to benefit from it.

#3114 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Just because I don't shop at Dollar General (and evidently neither do you) that does not mean that we should be classist or look down on it. They tend to serve smaller, more rural, and less affluent areas. Economic recovery is going to take a while and they are well positioned to benefit from it.

Oh, I do shop there. It's not about class. It's about facts. Their primary customer is poor. Poor people have to work when they are sick. They don't go to the doctor/hospital unless it is serious. They can't stock up, so they make more trips to the DG. They are more inclined to believe it's just the flu or media hype/fake news, so they don't take precautions. What happens to that DG when the staff are all sick? Publix can afford redundancy. DG can't. Or maybe they can? I'm just not so sure they will be unaffected/benefit from this.

#3115 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

They are more inclined to believe it's just the flu or media hype/fake news

I don't really get this part.

#3116 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Oh, I do shop there. It's not about class. It's about facts. Their primary customer is poor. Poor people have to work when they are sick. They don't go to the doctor/hospital unless it is serious. They can't stock up, so they make more trips to the DG. They are more inclined to believe it's just the flu or media hype/fake news, so they don't take precautions. What happens to that DG when the staff are all sick? Publix can afford redundancy. DG can't. Or maybe they can? I'm just not so sure they will be unaffected/benefit from this.

This seems like personal bias, as I've seen plenty of rich folks have the same attitude.

#3117 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I actually think their customer base has been largely unaffected by this. The people affected by this the most are people who traveled a lot or are in dense urban areas, neither of which describes dg’s base.

#3118 4 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Hey cottonm4 just curious, any reason you left out American Express? Looks like it's behavior was a bit different today than mastercard and visa that you mentioned, so I'm curious your thoughts on it.

I have no opinion on AXP and overlooked it.

And it was not on DBLM's request list.

When I was growing up, AXP, had this exclusivity to it. Whereas, Visa and Mastercard sort came into the marketplace targeted to Joe Suburb.

All 3 charts have similar appearance.

#3119 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

They are smaller. Yes. And they are knocking off grocery stores in small towns.

I never thought about DG. But the stock price has been a respectable up mover since it went public.

#3120 4 years ago

Paging KPG.. can we get your thoughts on today’s market action

#3121 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

They are smaller. Yes. And they are knocking off grocery stores in small towns.
I never thought about DG. But the stock price has been a respectable up mover since it went public.

Exactly

#3122 4 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

I don't really get this part.

I listen to lots of small talk, as well as read hats, t-shirts, and bumper stickers.

#3123 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

This seems like personal bias, as I've seen plenty of rich folks have the same attitude.

Well, I am biased against ignorance, but not the poor. Please spend some time amongst the poor folk and then tell me how I am wrong.

#3124 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Well, I am biased against ignorance, but not the poor. Please spend some time amongst the poor folk and then tell me how I am wrong.

Define poor.

Better yet, please don’t.

#3125 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I'm surrounded by the poor. I live in a poor area. Just because one isn't well off doesn't make them ignorant.

#3126 4 years ago

In 2008-2009 the mantra was that people were going to keep their cars longer and fix them up. The plays of that day were Autozone, O'rielly's, and Advance Auto Parts.

I can tell you that I WISH that I had bought them. AZO and ORLY have been amazing performers. AAP has done well, too. but not quite as good as the other two.

With AAP, if you had bought the high in 2005, you would have been sitting under water and treading water until 2010.

The more I thought about that and kicked my self for not buying, I got to thinking. These three companies have a racket going. You never see them get into price wars. I know in my town, they have pretty much have ran many of the local auto parts suppliers out of business. If you need a car part, these 3 stores are all over town.

They pay their managers well, but for the hourly help they don't pay jack.

And every time I need to go buy a part for my car, I just about choke. It is like, " You want how much for that !!?? Are you frigging nuts? But then I bend over---and then stand up an pay---because it is a part I need.

The other day, I read the same argument about these 3 companies. People will be keeping their cars longer and will need to buy parts. Autoparts is something I understand and I may take a closer look at these 3.

#3127 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I'm surrounded by the poor. I live in a poor area. Just because one isn't well off doesn't make them ignorant.

And I never said being poor implied you are ignorant. You just have a much better chance of being so.

#3128 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

And I never said being poor implied you are ignorant. You just have a much better chance of being so.

Read the forums, plenty of non poor people around here who come off pretty ignorant.

To your point though, there are many people, myself included that are frugal. There are many around that shop at places like DG because it is cheap. As some say, you don't get rich by spending all your money.

#3129 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Please spend some time amongst the poor folk and then tell me how I am wrong.

You will need to tell me what is right before I can tell you how you are wrong.

#3130 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Read the forums, plenty of non poor people around here who come off pretty ignorant.

I never said otherwise.

#3131 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I think you are using too broad of a brush. Poor might be better associated with uneducated or less educated. I grew up working in factories where most were uneducated. Some were ignorant.

But then I got my degree and eventually wound up with an office job (buyer, corporate, airplane parts). I met more ignorant MF's in one office place than I ever did on the shop floor.

#3132 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I never said otherwise.

I guess I'm confused by your 'most likely to get you sick' comment. Again ignorance and 'i'll do what I want' attitude has not been bound by how much money you make or what you do. It's basically been down party lines and who you believe.

Anyway...this is getting off topic.

#3133 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I guess I'm confused by your 'most likely to get you sick' comment. Again ignorance and 'i'll do what I want' attitude has not been bound by how much money you make or what you do. It's basically been down party lines and who you believe.
Anyway...this is getting off topic.

See post 3114.

#3134 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I think you are using too broad of a brush. Poor might be better associated with uneducated or less educated. I grew up working in factories where most were uneducated. Some were ignorant.
But then I got my degree and eventually wound up with an office job (buyer, corporate, airplane parts). I met more ignorant MF's in one office place than I ever did on the shop floor.

I never once said being poor meant you were ignorant so how the hell am I using too broad of a brush? One person reads a bit too much into what I say. The next takes it as fact. Good grief!

#3135 4 years ago

I’m somewhat wealthy and am dumb, so I have that going for me.

#3136 4 years ago

Can we PLEASE have one drama free thread? SERIOUSLY! Take it to PM's if you wanna argue. I loved this thread for the investing insight and no BS, let's keep it that way.

#3137 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

In 2008-2009 the mantra was that people were going to keep their cars longer and fix them up. The plays of that day were Autozone, O'rielly's, and Advance Auto Parts.
I can tell you that I WISH that I had bought them. AZO and ORLY have been amazing performers. AAP has done well, too. but not quite as good as the other two.
With AAP, if you had bought the high in 2005, you would have been sitting under water and treading water until 2010.
The more I thought about that and kicked my self for not buying, I got to thinking. These three companies have a racket going. You never see them get into price wars. I know in my town, they have pretty much have ran many of the local auto parts suppliers out of business. If you need a car part, these 3 stores are all over town.
They pay their managers well, but for the hourly help they don't pay jack.
And every time I need to go buy a part for my car, I just about choke. It is like, " You want how much for that !!?? Are you frigging nuts? But then I bend over---and then stand up an pay---because it is a part I need.
The other day, I read the same argument about these 3 companies. People will be keeping their cars longer and will need to buy parts. Autoparts is something I understand and I may take a closer look at these 3.

I drive my cars a long time and do my own repairs. I used to use Advanced Auto quite a bit as they were very aggressive with the coupons. I'm finding I mostly buy my parts from Amazon now and to a lesser extent ebay and Rock Auto. If I need something in a pinch, one of the big 4 (Napa, Oreilly, AZ, AA) will have it though. Some of them are better than others for certain things.

#3138 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Quoted from mcluvin:

I never once said being poor meant you were ignorant so how the hell am I using too broad of a brush? One person reads a bit too much into what I say. The next takes it as fact. Good grief!

I'm sorry. I misread your first statement. But I stand by what I said about the difference of being uneducated as compared to being ignorant. Maybe poverty does imply ignorance, But I have met too many ignoramus's with fat bank accounts that would suggest that otherwise.

The flip side of that is getting a college degree doe not imply that one is particularly smart.

#3139 4 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

I'm thinking of picking up 1k shares of AAL. Anyone want to talk me out of it?

Well let me tell you about my 300 shares of DAL, now down 44% from my entry point at around 40 bucks. I’m holding on because I think Delta will be one of the last airlines standing, but there’s a nonzero chance that ALL of the airlines will reorganize under bankruptcy. Very few international flights for the next 9-18 months, and even domestic is a question mark.

I made the classic mistake of looking at the dividend at saying “hey, I’m happy with just getting 3-4% while I hold this”. Now all of the airlines have cancelled their dividends to raise cash. It’s a cluster.

#3140 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Well let me tell you about my 300 shares of DAL, now down 44% from my entry point at around 40 bucks. I’m holding on because I think Delta will be one of the last airlines standing, but there’s a nonzero chance that ALL of the airlines will reorganize under bankruptcy. Very few international flights for the next 9-18 months, and even domestic is a question mark.
I made the classic mistake of looking at the dividend at saying “hey, I’m happy with just getting 3-4% while I hold this”. Now all of the airlines have cancelled their dividends to raise cash. It’s a cluster.

I seem to recall from the last recession, a company declared bankruptcy (GM maybe??) declared non-preferred shares worthless, then issued new shares under the "new" company. Something along those lines anyway. I'd sure be worried about that sort of thing right now in hard-hit industries.

#3141 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I seem to recall from the last recession, a company declared bankruptcy (GM maybe??) declared non-preferred shares worthless, then issued new shares under the "new" company. Something along those lines anyway. I'd sure be worried about that sort of thing right now in hard-hit industries.

This is part of the reason I don't really believe in what people were saying about just buying down as it fell. We don't really know who the losers are going to be when this is all over.

#3142 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I think buying any business that depends on the US government being effective at controlling the virus would be pretty risky at this point. I think there's a good chance that the airlines, hotels, restaurants, boeing, etc all end up needing saving if this stretches long enough. In order to solve this, we have to have people staying in one place, extensive testing, etc for a long period of time unless we find an effective treatment or cure.

Even at this point, we're not taking anywhere close to the amount of steps needed to get this under control. I don't think the reality of the situation has hit most people, there's still a pretty significant chance we don't have this under control by the time school starts. I think we'll be able to level off and slowly bend it downward, but I think somewhere in there we're going to get into this place where we're unable to get it any lower due to people traveling/not doing smart things. Probably will all be wearing masks at some point, and when that happens I think we might be able to slowly get it under control. The real issue we're going to have is that we're going have states like ND, SD, Nebraska, etc that may get down to zero cases, while states like NY still have thousands...how are they going to handle travel? China isolated Wuhan off from the rest of the country, but so far suggestions of that here have been met with irrational anger instead of the 'greater good'.

It's why I'm still not buying at this point. Still waiting to see clear signs that we're turning this around.

#3143 4 years ago

Italian tire maker Pirelli CEO has some advise for U.S. business leaders.

"CEO of Italian tire maker Pirelli: US business leaders should prepare now for the worst"

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/02/cars/pirelli-ceo-interview-coronavirus/index.html

#3144 4 years ago

Not sure if anyone else bought STZ when I mentioned it yesterday but they had good earnings report out. Topped profit and earnings. Up right now, not sure when I’ll sell yet

https://apple.news/A4FR6yCftSE-o88tdoPVsmw

#3145 4 years ago

Let's have a little fun today. It is 9 AM and the DOW is projected to open down. We know that there tends to be a selloff due to people not wanting to hold over the weekend. What are your predictions for the Dow closing today? I predict the DOW will close down 425. What are your predictions?

#3146 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Let's have a little fun today. It is 9 AM and the DOW is projected to open down. We know that there tends to be a selloff due to people not wanting to hold over the weekend. What are your predictions for the Dow closing today? I predict the DOW will close down 425. What are your predictions?

It’s tough, it’s not reacting as much to bad news but Friday’s are usually down. I bet on it down last night and bought a couple hundred dollars only of sqqq before close for fun. I think a couple hundred down today. -245 maybe.

#3147 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Hard to say. Oils surge is helping sentiment quite a bit, but yesterday was an up day and consecutive up days have been hard to come by. The market is barely negative on the week. I don't see it down much, but not up much either. I think the week ends fairly flat, so possibly up slightly today? Oil is up like 40% in two days. Without that I'd vote down for sure.

#3148 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

I am not looking close enough to know the underlying reasons for it being up yesterday. My thought is the longer this is drawn out the lower it will go

except, as people start to expect this as the new normal, maybe they'll just put money in anyway....I've never understood the emotional thought process to stocks.

#3149 4 years ago

.DP

#3150 4 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

here's still a pretty significant chance we don't have this under control by the time school starts.

You might be on the sidelines for a while. The most likely scenario is what you described above. We get things under control for the summer months, then explosion again with the flu season. A double dip if you were. That's when the real unemployment begins.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 12.95
$ 18.95
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 20,986 posts in this topic. You are on page 63 of 420.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders/page/63 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.