IMG_3037 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7658 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240226-151719 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240226-151210 (resized).png
IMG_1493 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0470 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 20,831 posts in this topic. You are on page 61 of 417.
#3001 3 years ago

How can u invest in oil ? Futures ?
Or how can you play/invest in the barrel price ?

#3002 3 years ago
Quoted from Londonpinball:

How can u invest in oil ? Futures ?
Or how can you play/invest in the barrel price ?

Earlier today I mentioned a USO call spread I did which is essentially a long/bullish play using options. Or you could just go long the shares too. There are 2X and 3X leveraged ETFs you can do too...

or you can look into companies like XOM, CVX, OXY, COP, BP, etc. Those will all bounce back with oil.. OXY being the more risky one but having more upside potential (its also a good position size in Buffet's portfolio)

#3003 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I applied that same logic, and picked up 150 DIS and 300 DAL. I was too early, but I’m not out that much. I plan to hang on to these and ride it out on a 10-year timeline. What worries me is the possibility that Delta goes bankrupt - but at least Warren Buffet and I will be in the same boat.

I think over 10 years you are fine with DIS and DAL.

My main concerns with DIS later this year, even after some upside recovering:

1) Igor is gone. Left right before COVID too. Bad timing really.. new CEO comes in during a massive fundamental change with this company

2) Movie production shut down... movies to be released, delayed and will have poor box offices. This definitely weighs on the stock, and will for the foreseeable future

3) DIS parks are all shut down.. for how long? When they reopen, will headcounts be the same right away? I dont think so. How long will "normal" attendance take?

4) DIS Dividend may be suspended because of this. Not sure how that could affect the shares (some say it could help.. some not)

DAL, same concerns above... but with air travel...

When the virus stuff is over.. then the market will turn to earnings reports again... and I think we can all guess how those earnings reports will look with companies like DIS and DAL.

I think we see a decent recovery then boom...

The real market correction when all of the economical data starts coming into focus post-virus fears.

#3004 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I think over 10 years you are fine with DIS and DAL.
My main concerns with DIS later this year, even after some upside recovering:
1) Igor is gone. Left right before COVID too. Bad timing really.. new CEO comes in during a massive fundamental change with this company
2) Movie production shut down... movies to be released, delayed and will have poor box offices. This definitely weighs on the stock, and will for the foreseeable future
3) DIS parks are all shut down.. for how long? When they reopen, will headcounts be the same right away? I dont think so. How long will "normal" attendance take?
4) DIS Dividend may be suspended because of this. Not sure how that could affect the shares (some say it could help.. some not)
DAL, same concerns above... but with air travel...
When the virus stuff is over.. then the market will turn to earnings reports again... and I think we can all guess how those earnings reports will look with companies like DIS and DAL.
I think we see a decent recovery then boom...
The real market correction when all of the economical data starts coming into focus post-virus fears.

My main concern on those two isn't even financially related, I just don't like investing in companies where their sole goal is to try and nickel and dime you out of every last penny. I think over time that breeds disdain for a brand and then people will drop you the second a better alternative comes along. See land line phone companies, blockbuster, cable companies, etc...companies that don't treat their customers right eventually get burned. Disney made some uber smart purchases with Marvel and Star Wars but has almost ran out of steam on those I think. Their parks thrive because of nostolgia and not because they're ran well, over time that nostolgia falls off. Ruining Star Wars nostogia definitely didn't help their cause.

#3005 3 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

My main concern on those two isn't even financially related, I just don't like investing in companies where their sole goal is to try and nickel and dime you out of every last penny. I think over time that breeds disdain for a brand and then people will drop you the second a better alternative comes along. See land line phone companies, blockbuster, cable companies, etc...companies that don't treat their customers right eventually get burned. Disney made some uber smart purchases with Marvel and Star Wars but has almost ran out of steam on those I think. Their parks thrive because of nostolgia and not because they're ran well, over time that nostolgia falls off. Ruining Star Wars nostogia definitely didn't help their cause.

DIS is one of the most storied and recognizable brands in the world. I may be a bit biased since I own DIS, but only after years of holding the stock and diligent research coupled with attending shareholder meetings. Solid leadership and executive succession plans, incredible assets and every kid in the world pesters their parents for more of their product. Long term hold for me.

#3006 3 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

oil has dipped under $20 a barrel!

In Houston that means ... 10,000 layoffs by Christmas.

#3007 3 years ago
Quoted from LateCenturyMods:

In Houston that means ... 10,000 layoffs by Christmas.

It got bad, real bad in Texas oil in 1986. I cannot remember the reason(s) why.

Saudi Arabia kind of has everybody by the gonads, at the moment.

#3008 3 years ago
Quoted from AstonEnthusiast:

DIS is one of the most storied and recognizable brands in the world. I may be a bit biased since I own DIS, but only after years of holding the stock and diligent research coupled with attending shareholder meetings. Solid leadership and executive succession plans, incredible assets and every kid in the world pesters their parents for more of their product. Long term hold for me.

I don't disagree that on any of those points. But ruining Star Wars hurts that brand big time, somehow they managed to get me, an almost 40 year fan of it, not to care about it anymore. Marvel is about out of gas, and they knocked off the one character I really liked. Their parks are super overcrowded and very expensive. I guess what's the limit here? Apple, Nintendo, Disney, etc get a lot of free passes on stuff that nobody else could get away with. The way Disney gets away with overcrowding of parks and poor food service is kind of the same way Nintendo gets away with online play that worse than consoles had 20 years ago, lol...you do it long enough, and eventually you start losing people. The only people that they haven't start losing are mom's...that's their #1 core audience.

#3009 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Earlier today I mentioned a USO call spread I did which is essentially a long/bullish play using options.

Wanted to ask your thoughts on a call spread I did on VXX last Friday. Did the $50/$60 call spread for a net cost of $3.07, expiry April 9. Is there any benefit to maybe selling some $60 or $65 April 3 calls this week to reduce my overall net cost? In case the VXX falls further. I would like to find a way to recover my net $3.07 on the trade, while maintaining the net spread out to April 9th. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help!

#3010 3 years ago

Looks like we are going to open in the red. GOOD! I need this baby to come back down some. It has sucked to be on the sidelines but I am forcing myself to be patient.

#3011 3 years ago

I can't move my 401k money back into the market until April (tomorrow), and would okay with a "temporary" dip in the market.

With that said, Go RRGB, Go CBRL!

I just don't know what the market overall is going to do. If there was no government intervention on it I'm guessing it would be under 15k by now, but I just don't know what those fed dollars will do.

#3012 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Looks like we are going to open in the red. GOOD! I need this baby to come back down some. It has sucked to be on the sidelines but I am forcing myself to be patient.

No BAD. Hoping for further losses in a down economy is ludicrous. Dow is still down over 7K from it's high. There's plenty of upside left.

#3013 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballmike217:

No BAD. Hoping for further losses in a down economy is ludicrous. Dow is still down over 7K from it's high. There's plenty of upside left.

Different strokes for different folks. Technicals and historicals suggest that we will have a retracement back down before we put in a floor. That is what I am hoping and counting on.

#3014 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Different strokes for different folks. Technicals and historicals suggest that we will have a retracement back down before we put in a floor. That is what I am hoping and counting on.

Hope you're right, but my entire watchlist is green right now.

#3015 3 years ago

Just put in an order for 1,000 shares of BURG... the parent company of Hooters at $.31 a share (a whoping $300). It is currently at .38$. I am still of the opinion that restaurant stocks are beyond bargain basement prices right now and will rebound in the coming year. If what they say is true and 1/3 of Restaurants go out of business, where are their customers going to go? Yes there may be less customers, but I have a feeling there will be an even smaller supply of restaurants to serve that need.

#3016 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Just put in an order for 1,000 shares of BURG... the parent company of Hooters at $.31 a share (a whoping $300). It is currently at .38$. I am still of the opinion that restaurant stocks are beyond bargain basement prices right now and will rebound in the coming year. If what they say is true and 1/3 of Restaurants go out of business, where are their customers going to go? Yes there may be less customers, but I have a feeling there will be an even smaller supply of restaurants to serve that need.

I think hooters was on the decline before the virus
During times like these, you only want to buy the strongest companies, even if they are at a more expensive valuation

#3017 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I think hooters was on the decline before the virus
During times like these, you only want to buy the strongest companies, even if they are at a more expensive valuation

100% agreed. My main Restaurant plays are in Cracker Barrel and Red Robin. Cracker Barrel in particular is not going anywhere anytime soon and the same is true to a lesser extent for Red Robin.

Hooters stock is a purely speculative play, and at worse I will be out the price of a new Color DMD on that one. Hooters stock price has been undergoing some pretty wild price swings in the past 2 weeks, more so than most other stocks. If I can get in at $.31 and get out at $.42, I will be happy and well entertained.

#3018 3 years ago

For anyone NOT watching the Coronavirus Containment thread where I posted this, here is a HOT stock tip, sales are set to skyrocket:

Thank me later

#3019 3 years ago

Not seeing a lot of conviction in the market today one way or another. Last day of the quarter. Tomorrow will be interesting.

#3020 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Truer words have never been spoken !!!!!!!! Companies with lower valuations have lower valuations for a reason.

People like to come and bottom fish for beaten down stocks. The cream of the crop will have a better chance of coming back. The weaker ones just disappear.

The weaker ones on the Dow will be replaced with stronger companies. It is one reason the DJI has long term charts that always go up.

Here is a link that shows which companies have been dropped and added to the Dow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_components_of_the_Dow_Jones_Industrial_Average

#3021 3 years ago

Dow finished the day down 410. I think that we will be down for a while as the reality of this thing sits in: Reported rates of death and infection are rising, companies are furloughing employees, restaurants are shutting down and not reopening, etc. Good CNBC article talking about impact to GDP and unemployment based upon Goldman projections: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/31/coronavirus-update-goldman-sees-15percent-jobless-rate-followed-by-record-rebound.html

The good news is that they are predicting a Q3 bounce back of 18%, which is fantastic. Plus, it looks like the Trump Administration is looking at another 2T tranche of funding to help with infrastructure and getting people back to work, which is huge.

Net-net: I think that we go down from here for a little bit and that folks like me that are looking for a lower place to buy in can. However, it might be a small window due to volatility.

#3022 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Dow finished the day down 410. I think that we will be down for a while as the reality of this thing sits in: Reported rates of death and infection are rising, companies are furloughing employees, restaurants are shutting down and not reopening, etc. Good CNBC article talking about impact to GDP and unemployment based upon Goldman projections: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/31/coronavirus-update-goldman-sees-15percent-jobless-rate-followed-by-record-rebound.html
The good news is that they are predicting a Q3 bounce back of 18%, which is fantastic. Plus, it looks like the Trump Administration is looking at another 2T tranche of funding to help with infrastructure and getting people back to work, which is huge.
Net-net: I think that we go down from here for a little bit and that folks like me that are looking for a lower place to buy in can. However, it might be a small window due to volatility.

Interesting the VIX was down as well with the market. Usually they go in the opposite direction.

#3023 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

I'm a small fish compared to some of you guys, but I sold 6 SPY $300 covered calls expiring in a month. I'm betting the S&P doesn't rally 400 points in a month from here. If it does, my shares get called away, otherwise I get a bit over $1k in premiums.

Bought these back today. Wasn't planning to, but had a 70% gain in one day (and the S&P only declined 42 points). That VIX drop must be bleeding out the premiums fast. I'll sell some more on the next bounce.

Also sold a 4/17 280 AVGO Covered Call and a 4/24 280 AVGO Covered Call this morning and then bought them back about an hour later for over 50% profit. I'm not big on daytrading or playing with options, but I can see the lure of big gains with them.

#3024 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

I think that we go down from here for a little bit and that folks like me that are looking for a lower place to buy in can.

We're in the same boat, brother! I am waiting on the sidelines cash in hand, just give me the signal!

#3025 3 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

We're in the same boat, brother! I am waiting on the sidelines cash in hand, just give me the signal!

I missed the first time but will not miss again. I have plenty of dry powder, got my buy list, and just waiting for the right point.

#3026 3 years ago

I find it interesting there's people here saying Red Robin is worth a play. I was seeing articles that they were on their way to closing in 2020 even before the virus issues.

#3027 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I find it interesting there's people here saying Red Robin is worth a play. I was seeing articles that they were on their way to closing in 2020 even before the virus issues.

yeah.. maybe it's regional.. i mean here, Chili's are closing everywhere so i wouldn't put EAT (parent company) in the solid ground boat.. but but maybe elsewhere they are doing well. Red Robin is rare here.. just 1 in san diego proper .. and don't exist where I grew up.. so, another one where given my personal experiences (instead of looking at the books) I wouldn't touch

#3028 3 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

yeah.. maybe it's regional.. i mean here, Chili's are closing everywhere so i wouldn't put EAT (parent company) in the solid ground boat.. but but maybe elsewhere they are doing well. Red Robin is rare here.. just 1 in san diego proper .. and don't exist where I grew up.. so, another one where given my personal experiences (instead of looking at the books) I wouldn't touch

Red Robin is doing $1.99 kids meals near me during the shutdown. I think they realize that no one is interested in their $13-$14 burger and fries meals on a carry out basis and are trying to drum up business. Makes you think about what a rip off they truly are.

#3029 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

The good news is that they are predicting a Q3 bounce back of 18%, which is fantastic

Do you believe Goldy? It has a vested interest in not chasing everybody away. It has to stay it sees some light at the end of the tunnel.

#3030 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Plus, it looks like the Trump Administration is looking at another 2T tranche of funding to help with infrastructure and getting people back to work, which is huge.

I had not heard this. Where is all the money coming from? Are we so far in debt now that nothing matters? More pedal to. the metal?

#3031 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Wanted to ask your thoughts on a call spread I did on VXX last Friday. Did the $50/$60 call spread for a net cost of $3.07, expiry April 9. Is there any benefit to maybe selling some $60 or $65 April 3 calls this week to reduce my overall net cost? In case the VXX falls further. I would like to find a way to recover my net $3.07 on the trade, while maintaining the net spread out to April 9th. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help!

Tough one here as I haven't been able to come up with a good risk/reward setup for VXX in the past week other than the one I did last week. VXX right now is very unpredictable, and when we get range bound like this I do not really touch VXX too much unless it's selling way out of the money Put spreads when it has accelerated selling, then selling way out of the money calls when it has accelerated buying. The problem is the Implied Volatility premiums have been bleeding from them so I don't have advice either way on this one right now.

If I was to help you with direction though, VXX and TVIX appear to been basing out for a move higher over the next session or two...

Let's not forget jobs numbers come out Thursday. Market went up last time and some gamblers might think that will happen again. My (total and absolute guess at this point) is the market does *not* react well this time and if the numbers come in worse, we have now established the beginning of an unfavorable trend.

Murky waters out there

I am busy selling out of the money weekly Put and Call spreads on AAPL any pop or drop I get here, with only a few days left for them to expire. Also, trading in and out of restaurant and hospitality stocks - as well as stuff like TSLA and BA - because they are nice and volatile. But those are so rapid fire no sense of making buy/sell calls in here lol

I'll say I did notice today... market sold off end of day.. and TMUS went up at the end... perhaps buying calls or selling puts (or going long the stock) may be something to look into...

#3032 3 years ago

Thought i'd mention regarding STKS and some research I did:

Last earnings call, they outlined the following:

1) Cash on hand $9.3M

2) $10M credit facility they can tap if their cash gets down to $4M

3) Cut staff payroll from 4,000 employees to 100 core employees (bummer, I know) minimizing payroll costs

4) Worked out many rent payment deferments with landlords of most STK locations, and working on others.

5) Have worked out net terms and deferred payments for food suppliers

6) Generate $300K-400K *per week* of takeout and delivery currently, utilizing only a couple of cooks and a general manager at those locations that offer it

7) Said for the "foreseeable future" the takeout and delivery services are providing enough cash flow to cover their payroll and do not anticipate a high cash burn rate, let alone need to even think of touching the $10m credit line.

In my opinion, the company management is awesome and when things return to normal STKS will bounce back massively and the current price is a huge discount for fundamentally strong and well managed business in the restaurant industry. Obvious a short term risk, but a long term investment opportunity as of today.

Disclosure: Long STKS

#3033 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I had not heard this. Where is all the money coming from? Are we so far in debt now that nothing matters? More pedal to. the metal?

Here are two articles. From everybody I am talking to, this is coming. I have no idea where the money is coming from.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/squabbling-over-4th-coronavirus-bailout-bill-begins-but-passage-is-likely-weeks-away/ar-BB11YHyQ
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/30/us/politics/coronavirus-stimulus-relief-congress.html

#3034 3 years ago

Simple answer: Kick these puppies in overdrive

639_hmim_intaglio_lg.jpg639_hmim_intaglio_lg.jpg
#3036 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Do you believe Goldy? It has a vested interest in not chasing everybody away. It has to stay it sees some light at the end of the tunnel.

Read the rest of the article. Pain before the bounce. We are in a sucker rally for right now. This is going to get worse and when there is blood in the streets (coming soon), the market is going to lose its appetite. We will have a recovery and setup for more than what we have now, but it is not going to be pretty. The people that were booing me asking for the market to go down are naive.

#3037 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

The people that were booing me asking for the market to go down are naive.

I never cease to be amazed with how many put their fingers in their ears just because that don't like what they are hearing. And, as you mention, what is basically shooting the messenger.

Me? Bring me the bad news. The good news will take care of itself.

#3038 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Simple answer: Kick these puppies in overdrive[quoted image]

I don't know how it is going to unfold, or blow up, but someday we are going to pay for all of the new money that is going to be printed. Or maybe this virus is going to be deflationary and the new money will just even things out. Sort of like putting a humidifier and a dehumidifier in the same room.

But, agreed. The presses need to be rolling.

#3039 3 years ago

There's no reason to put money in things that aren't doing anything. It's kind of a circle. With that assumption the market should continue to go down until businesses are running again and people are spending money.

#3040 3 years ago

A vaccine isn't expected for over a year. Do people really believe we hit bottom at 18,550?

#3041 3 years ago

18% up in Q3, yeah right. These are the same clowns who were touting the stock market in 2000/2001 just after the crash. Of course they’re not going to say what they actually think. THEY NEVER DO.

#3042 3 years ago

if you want to buy a solid restaurant, put your money in MCD
you can always buy this on the dips with confidence and pays a solid dividend
Cheap food sells in a recession/depression

#3043 3 years ago

^^^ This. Plus, the CEO is already looking at how they evolve their go to market. In a CNBC interview, he was describing how MCD was looking to get into the delivery business, how they are going to change their restaurants, etc.

#3045 3 years ago

CNN is full of cheer this morning.

How low can oil prices go?

Gas is getting cheap. The only problem is that I have not gone anywhere but the grocery store for the last 3 weeks.

And neither have you. And the producers are still pumping oil. that is not being used.

The problem: Storage.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/01/business/oil-prices-crash-storage-space/index.html

#3046 3 years ago

Empty shelves:

If everything is on shutdown how will the shelves continue to be stocked. The cruise ship are not the only ships that cannot find port where they can dock.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/01/business/food-supply-chains-coronavirus/index.html

"The transportation links that move food around the globe are being tested in unprecedented ways. Shipowners are struggling to change crews and move goods between ports. Airlines have grounded thousands of planes, slashing air freight capacity.
Travel restrictions also are clogging up road networks and making it difficult for farm workers to get where they are needed. And at the end of food supply chains, supermarkets that have come to rely on just-in-time deliveries have been upset by huge demand and panic buying.

#3047 3 years ago

And for the trifecta:

If the airline industry gets smaller, I think that could be a challenge for Boeing. And Airbus, too.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/01/business/airline-industry-outlook/index.html

"If the recovery is as slow as we fear, it means our airline and our workforce will have to be smaller than it is today," said United CEO Oscar Munoz and President Scott Kirby in a message to their employees last Friday.
A leaner airline industry means some of the 750,000 jobs the industry had at the start of 2020 won't come back. Hundreds of planes will almost certainly stay grounded, which will mean less capacity and higher fares.
-----------------------------

Airliners getting smaller can't be any good for Boeing. Or its employees. And since Boeing has missed it deliveries of the 737 MAX, this means the airliners can cancel their MAX orders. I believe a couple of airliners have already canceled.

#3048 3 years ago

Last week's run up is beginning to unwind. Have patience, ladies and gents, we are all going to have our opportunity to buy in.

#3049 3 years ago

When does OXY become a buy? How much lower can oil go?

#3050 3 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

When does OXY become a buy? How much lower can oil go?

not much further I hope, my job depends on it.

All the service companies we sell to have canceled pretty much everything for the rest of the year.

IF China is beginning to come back to life (big if) I'd presume it's about bottomed since their demand will begin to grow again?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 12.95
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
There are 20,831 posts in this topic. You are on page 61 of 417.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders/page/61?hl=pinballjah and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.