IMG_7948 (resized).jpeg
kuiil-have-spoken.gif
200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 20,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 420.
#2551 4 years ago

Why does the bounce in the market feel like a false flag?

#2552 4 years ago

Why does the bounce in the market feel like a false sense of hope?

#2553 4 years ago

I figured we all needed a little laugh after yesterday...

Futures looking way up!

#2554 4 years ago

World share market seeing more Green than Red

Can see a crazy ride in next few months

Personally I am willing to jump on board and play the game

https://au.investing.com/indices/world-indices

#2555 4 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

World share market seeing more Green than Red
Can see a crazy ride in next few months
Personally I am willing to jump on board and play the game
https://au.investing.com/indices/world-indices

Yeah, I’ve been using 2500 just to play around with during the last month and I’m up to 3200. It’s been kind of fun basically day trading here and there.

All my 401ks are destroyed though but I don’t have to retire for a long time so I didn’t mess with them. Last I checked they were down 25%

#2556 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

If anyone is looking for a potential lotto play betting on a full recovery after this mess, a stock that can rip 300-500% in the next year, look at STKS (One Group Hospitality) they own the high end STK steakhouse chains and Kona Grills. Their revenues have been rising year over year, and were $4.50+ before this mess, and currently sitting around ~$0.90/share.
Totally speculative but when this recovers this stock will blast off IMO.

High end and luxury items are the first things to take a hit in a recession
Not something I would jump into

#2557 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

I mean, because it is? Nothing has been fixed in the economy so any movement up is just people getting out before the next wave down. The stock market can’t recover from the bear market until the overall economy heals and that won’t happen until the virus is kept at bay and a vaccine is available.

#2558 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Why does the bounce in the market feel like a false flag?

Because until you can turn on the news and the virus is a 5 min. segment instead of the entire news cast - people are still going to panic and sell stocks

#2559 4 years ago

Boeing CEO is on CNBC now for those interested.

#2560 4 years ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

Yeah, I’ve been using 2500 just to play around with during the last month and I’m up to 3200. It’s been kind of fun basically day trading here and there.
All my 401ks are destroyed though but I don’t have to retire for a long time so I didn’t mess with them. Last I checked they were down 25%

Same here down under
AUS SUPER aka 401k has been smashed here as well.
@ age 52 im a litle upset cause I want to have some good times from all the hard work.
Approx 30% so for me at least a couple of NiB's down the toilet

Ah well, gotta roll with the punches

Best wishes all.
Main thing, Stay safe and healthy !

Ando

#2561 4 years ago

Interesting how UVXY and VXX are getting killed. Market was down yesterday 600 points and also the VIX was down 11.22%. Haven't seen that for a while where they trend in the same direction. Thoughts?

#2562 4 years ago

Looking into Cracker Barrel, Ruths Chris, and Red Robbin.

#2563 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Looking into Cracker Barrel, Ruths Chris, and Red Robbin.

Bought those yesterday on open after I mentioned them here, up 50%+ on both Cbarrel and Red Robin and 30%+ on RUTH Today

Look into STKS as well, market hasn't noticed this undervalued hospitality play yet. Hit 76 cents yesterday which is ridiculous.

#2564 4 years ago

Bear marker rallies.

They come from almost nowhere.

Those who made new short trades get caught and have to scramble to cover.

They can be swift. And steep.

They can be violent.

About the the time you get scared out of your wits and cover, they turn down and drop like rocks.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is Tesla. It is not a Bear market rally. This is, to me, a short covering rally that took place over 2 months time. Followed by the subsequent drop. I don't follow TSLA so I don't know the reason for the up move other than I am aware that TSLA has always had a lot of shorts with its stock. But the downside is a lot of this virus action.

Bear markets can bring this kind of heart stopping action. And make fools of you. Yesterday some of us thought we might see sub-18K. I got fooled, for sure.

Any of your have never been in a bear market, expect to see more of this kind of two way action.

Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 8.19.41 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-03-24 at 8.19.41 AM (resized).png

If you can find a silver chart from the early 80s, you will see this kind chart action and silver went from $4-$5 per ounce all the way up to $55.00 per ounce. It was a fast move up. At about $45.00 per ounce, Average Joe started buying and trading silver, silver was making the front pages, scads of little start up companies were placing ads and buying silver (at wholesale prices ), people started liquidating their silver coins and grandma's silver table service. Many old time collectable headed for the smelters. Silver topped at around $55.00 per ounce and started it slide back to earth. A lot of retail silver "investors" got their heads cut off. And sliver pulled back to around $12.00 per ounce and for the next several years slowly slid back to around $$-$5 per ounce.

Squeeze the data on the chart and you get something like this 5 year TSLA chart.

Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 8.17.34 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-03-24 at 8.17.34 AM (resized).png

#2565 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Bear marker rallies.
They come from almost nowhere.
Those who made new short trades get caught and have to scramble to cover.
They can be swift. And steep.
They can be violent.
About the the time you get scared out of your wits and cover, they turn down and drop like rocks.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
This is Tesla. It is not a Bear market rally. This is, to me, a short covering rally that took place over 2 months time. Followed by the subsequent drop. I don't follow TSLA so I don't know the reason for the up move other than I am aware that TSLA has always had a lot of shorts with its stock. But the downside is a lot of this virus action.
Bear markets can bring this kind of heart stopping action. And make fools of you. Yesterday some of us thought we might see sub-18K. I got fooled, for sure.
Any of your have never been in a bear market, expect to see more of this kind of two way action.
[quoted image]
If you can find a silver chart from the early 80s, you will see this kind chart action and silver went from $4-$5 per ounce all the way up to $55.00 per ounce. It was a fast move up. At about $45.00 per ounce, Average Joe started buying and trading silver, silver was making the front pages, scads of little start up companies were placing ads and buying silver (at wholesale prices ), people started liquidating their silver coins and grandma's silver table service. Many old time collectable headed for the smelters. Silver topped at around $55.00 per ounce and started it slide back to earth. A lot of retail silver "investors" got their heads cut off. And sliver pulled back to around $12.00 per ounce and for the next several years slowly slid back to around $$-$5 per ounce.
Squeeze the data on the chart and you get something like this 5 year TSLA chart.
[quoted image]

Yes,

But on the flip side the inverse happens after fear and panic selling.

With TSLA, that was greed and panic buying - either buyers rushing to buy so then don't "miss out" and shorts panic buying because they are losing their asses getting squeezed.

The market just suffered it's most violent panic selling sessions in history

#2566 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

But on the flip side the inverse happens after fear and panic selling.

Agreed. We have seen the panic drop. Reason: Virus fear. Now we see the bear rally. Reason: Governments around the world opened the "free" money spigots.

Quoted from kpg:

With TSLA, that was greed and panic buying - either buyers rushing to buy so then don't "miss out" and shorts panic buying because they are losing their asses getting squeezed.

Agreed. But why? What was the catalyst for the greed and panic buying?

I would need to go research it, but I think TSLA announced some good earnings and many were expecting crap earnings and loaded up on the short positions. Earnings turned out good on a heavily shorted stock and the cover was on. The last shorts to cover were probably getting phone calls from the margin clerk.

#2567 4 years ago

A phantom bull market will begin Months before the virus has abated, I'm beginning to think bottom. When 10 year displays over 1% for 2 days I'm putting cash back to work.

#2568 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

A phantom bull market will begin Months before the virus has abated, I'm beginning to think bottom. When 10 year displays over 1% for 2 days I'm putting cash back to work.

Yep. The market always turns before the economy.

#2569 4 years ago

Nothing to get too excited about yet. Was going to put some money into a few things but awaiting a pull back. I don’t feel the need to rush right here.

#2570 4 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Yep. The market always turns before the economy.

Absolutely.

Just read about the beginning of the biggest bull market rally that began in March 2009, because the Obama Admin began a $1T stimulus. Sound familiar to what's happening today?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_bear_market_of_2007%E2%80%932009

#2571 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Agreed. But why? What was the catalyst for the greed and panic buying?
I would need to go research it, but I think TSLA announced some good earnings and many were expecting crap earnings and loaded up on the short positions. Earnings turned out good on a heavily shorted stock and the cover was on. The last shorts to cover were probably getting phone calls from the margin clerk.

The catalyst was Model Y deliveries were upcoming, and the China factory opening and surging with business, along with better than their normal (garbage) earnings lol

#2572 4 years ago

Whatever is causing it, that is a heck of an open...wrong of me to hope it drops back down to 18000?

#2573 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Whatever is causing it, that is a heck of an open...wrong of me to hope it drops back down to 18000?

No, but give it a few days. It will get there say by Fri.

#2574 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

You really can't time it. I have 4 IRAs that were around 50% cash/bonds until a couple weeks ago. I've been limping in a bit at a time with bigger buys each time we have a Dow down 1000+ day. Yesterday was my biggest buy yet.

Unfortunately I also have a brokerage account and I went all-in on that one a couple weeks back. That's the one that's hurting, but I only need about half the drop to come back to get back in the black. Much better than going all-in at all time highs I guess.

I'm more cautious with the IRAs because there are such small limits on yearly contributions to them.

#2575 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Tough to tell now, that 18K area could have likely been capitalization and an exhaustion gap down, so it would be very tough to see that area hit again in the short term unless some major unexpected news hits.

Also, we are now seeing analysts come out and upgrade certain stocks from Sell to Neutral (and quite a few move to Buy recs) and move price targets which indicates to me institutions and funds have bought in the last few sessions and betting on a recovery from here.

As we saw 11 years ago, quantitive easing and federal injection of liquidity, bond purchasing, and mortgage backed security investing helped propel the market from it's lows and we're seeing that same thing happen (but even bigger numbers)

So let's say betting against the market right now would be a bad bet, in my opinion.

#2576 4 years ago

It's not about betting against, or timing, it's about nothing has changed from yesterday. There's NO 'positive' reason for the market to be up that much other than false emotions. This is why I suck at the market though, I don't agree with what drives it.

#2577 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

trust your feelings young jedi!

#2578 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

It's not about betting against, or timing, it's about nothing has changed from yesterday. There's NO 'positive' reason for the market to be up that much other than false emotions. This is why I suck at the market though, I don't agree with what drives it.

Maybe not since yesterday, but I think it changed yesterday. The Fed came out and said they would buy everything, including things they didn't buy in the financial crisis, in unlimited amounts.

#2579 4 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Maybe not since yesterday, but I think it changed yesterday. The Fed came out and said they would buy everything, including things they didn't buy in the financial crisis, in unlimited amounts.

Okay, I had not heard that.

#2580 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

The markets are always forward looking

Last month they were pricing in bankruptcies and a total disaster of epic proportions, and forward thinking was the worst case scenario which scared people.

Today, they are pricing in hope for a potential recovery based on what the Fed is doing. Traders trying to get ahead of the curve and not wait for it. So now traders are betting that the worst may be priced in.

That's not to say we don't see a pullback after today's big rally, but big dips will likely be bought up now, providing support and a floor which seems is Dow 18K and possibly now 20K.

#2581 4 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Zero good news for two weeks. Even a little bit of hope is going to make for big swings in a desperate market.

#2582 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Zero good news for two weeks. Even a little bit of hope is going to make for big swings in a desperate market.

Absolutely.

By playing the market now it's high risk but high reward potential. Need to stomach the wild swings we will get.

Hope sentiment can change on a dime at any moment and you need to be prepared for that.

Any worse virus news that hits can change that hope sentiment quickly.

So I say for now, buy on big pullbacks and sell on big rips around your core long term holdings.

Example I sold 50% of all the stocks I mentioned the other day that I am up 30-60% on. Keeping 50% in case it runs more but if it pulls back I'll buy back the 50% again. Preserving gains and capital during the wild times we're in is key.

#2583 4 years ago

Mondays: Markets sharply drop as bad news accumulated during the week-end.
Tuesdays: Emergency measures taken, markets rally and people think they over-reacted on Monday.
Wednesdays: People don't think these emergency measures will work on the long term, people are depressed and markets drop again...

Not sure about Thursdays and Fridays.

#2584 4 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Mondays: Markets sharply drop as bad news accumulated during the week-end.
Tuesdays: Emergency measures taken, markets rally and people think they over-reacted on Monday.
Wednesdays: People don't think these emergency measures will work on the long term, people are depressed and markets drop again...
Not sure about Thursdays and Fridays.

Tomorrow will be another day. I still think the overall market will still drop further. Until the US starts to show a slowing of new cases and things start to open up again.

#2585 4 years ago

At this juncture, I don't think we are going to see a true "bottom" until there is medical news that shows things are under control or will be under control soon(ish): vaccine or treatment, either would be a stabilizing event. Till then everything is just a band-aid, and not a stitch, and there will keep being up and down volatility.

#2586 4 years ago

It seems to be working. Stock Market is doing great today!

What are you buying?

90645516_2959069034172676_7307292357655789568_n (resized).jpg90645516_2959069034172676_7307292357655789568_n (resized).jpg
#2587 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

At this juncture, I don't think we are going to see a true "bottom" until there is medical news that shows things are under control or will be under control soon(ish): vaccine or treatment, either would be a stabilizing event. Till then everything is just a band-aid, and not a stitch, and there will keep being up and down volatility.

Especially with this chart making exponential / parabolic gains to the upside. With the virus, oil crashing, unemployment numbers spiking (I believe jobless numbers on Thurs can be a catalyst for a pullback), and being an election year - buckle up for some volatile moves.

3d40db145cbd3eacd93d3983d84c961df330da19.jpg3d40db145cbd3eacd93d3983d84c961df330da19.jpg
#2588 4 years ago

Here's the technical reason I bet on this week being a bit of a relief rally (note, still in bear market as of now)

1) Dow Weekly chart (4 year chart shown here) was significantly oversold - more than I have seen in over 10+ years, as far as a weekly time frame goes. The RSI is circled at the top of the chart

2) Technical support around Dow 17/18K as indicated by the red line, and where buyers stepped up and we saw a reversal in yesterday's session.

3) Looking for a volatile move FIRST to Dow 22K and testing the resistance shown initially, then a test of the 200d SMA which is around 23-24K (where it will likely fail initially)

4) If there is a retest of Dow 18K you buy up again because its a great risk/reward entry level there, tons of support.

Some background, I have been day trading the markets since 1998 and I base all my calls off short term moves as no one can predict the future long term as we all saw. Good luck out there.
tempsnip.pngtempsnip.png

#2589 4 years ago

I assume everybody has had a trade blow up big in their face. I had one of those way back in 1986-87. And it is all about how you can get hammered by the news and the professional traders trying to stick it to each other. This virus is a different animal than what has come before. But you still cannot trust the news.
==================
This was the set up.
What was going on at the time: The AIDS virus was front page news. Biotech stocks had hit the market big time. There were stocks like Cetus, Biogen, and Genentech. Genentech had been a runaway success as far as the market was concerned. I was just getting started in my self-taught trading.

News was hard to get. Stock quotes on the tape were delayed by 20 minutes--unless you paid big bucks for real time quotes. You still had to get yesterday's action from the stock pages in newspapers. I subscribed to a weekly copy of Barrons until I learned I could get it sooner if I went to the news shop on Sunday.

I also had my Mansfield weekly charts. Genentech ran up from its IPO price all the way up to around 105 and then pulled back to around 85 and then bounced around in this range for a couple of months. When I started charting it, Genentech was around 95 dollars per share. OTM 85 puts with 6 weeks to go were selling for $3.50 per contract. OTM 100 calls were selling for around $3.50 per contract. I did not have the money to buy or sell a 95 dollar stock. But with the margin allowances on that stock I had enough margin allowance to short 5 options contracts.

I put on a short straddle and sold 5 OTM 85 6 week puts for $3.50 per. Times 500 that was $1750 credit to my account. The margin does not double on a short straddle so I also shorted 5 OTM 6 week calls for $3.50 per. $1750.00 x 2 = $3500 credit to my account. So, now all Genentech had to do is stay within 100 and 85 and I was golden. Genentech kept trading sideways and was slowly creeping up to $100 per share. My puts got down to 25 cents per contract so I bought those back and covered. The 100 strike calls were trading for about a dollar. Expiation was one week away. It was a Friday so I told myself that I would cover the short calls when they got to 50 cents. That is how I closed out Friday.

=============
This was the scene.

I worked nights and would spend my days setting at my broker's desk and we would watch his Quotron together. This is how I got real time quotes and news. If I wanted to make a trade, I would say to broker "buy this". He would fill out the ticket and hand it to the clerk. Many times I saw my trades happen soon as the order clerk made the entry. (You all may find it surprising, but in certain instances, a 100 share trade could get a stock to moving).

I had a good job with good income and could afford to take some risks. Some trades made my broker nervous. He had no balls, even with my money.
=========================
This turned out to be my problem

Options go thru an opening rotation. They do not start trading until after the stock trades. Genentech had moved from the IPO price of around $35 per share all the way up to $105 per. There was a chain of options as long as your arm. 1 week options. 3 month options, 6 months and 9 months. Lots of options to rotate through. Sometimes it could take 10 minutes to get all of the contracts open. I did not know about how options traded with opening rotations. I was about to find out.
==================================

This was the getting hosed part.

Monday morning. Bright and early. My broker is at his desk with me sitting at his side. I am short 5 genentech calls striking at 100 dollars that expire in 5 days. On Friday, those calls had closed at $1.00 per contract. About a minute before the market opened a news flash on Genentech popped up on the Quotron. At the moment, I knew I was hosed. I just did not know how bad it was going to be. The NEWS article? : "GENENTECH MAY HAVE FOUND A CURE FOR THE AIDS VIRUS." My butthole puckered up so tight you would not have been able drive and nail into it.

I am short 5 calls with a 100 strike price. The market opens and Genentech blasts out of the gate at $102 dollars. 103, then 104, 105. Me and my broker are going Oh shit oh shit. I cannot buy 500 shares of a $105 dollar stock; I don't have that kind of money and my margin was all used up. The price keeps moving up 106. 107. I cannot buy my short calls back because opening rotation was taking forever. 108, 109. Finally, when the stock hit 110 my options finally opened. My broker was freaking out, which was freaking me out, so I covered in a panic.

A trade that was going to net $3500.00 for me turned into a loss that cost me $4500.00. All it took was 10 minutes. I was psychologically hosed and frozen. As the week progressed, Genentech slowly started drifting down. But the end of the week it had settled back down to $95.00 per share and the calls I covered in a panic went out worthless. Even if I had put stop loss orders on these calls it would not have helped.

I learned a lot of lessons that day. #1 lesson: If you don't have to money to buy the actual shares to cover yourself, then you are overtrading. #2 lesson: Never trust the news as all kinds of games can be played with the news.

I put this up because while there will be all kinds of trading opportunities with this market, there will many opportunities for you to get hurt real bad.

You can call this trade a comedy of errors. Or a series of fuckups. The end result was the same.

Hope this helps anybody who managed to read thru it all.

#2590 4 years ago

All I know of stock trading is summed up this way;

blue horseshoe loves Teldar paper these days!

and you can quote me.

#2591 4 years ago
Quoted from BobSacamano:

It seems to be working. Stock Market is doing great today!
What are you buying?[quoted image]

I worry this bump will accelerate the "let's get the economy roaring again in 2 weeks! People are gonna die anyways!" talk

#2592 4 years ago

I’ve been very lucky picking the right stocks during the wild swings. it was only $2500 I played with. I would of been less risky with a lot of money. I’ve taken pretty much all of it out now

E5C431EA-761A-46B9-8E21-BF05C6743AC1 (resized).pngE5C431EA-761A-46B9-8E21-BF05C6743AC1 (resized).png
#2593 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Here's the technical reason I bet on this week being a bit of a relief rally (note, still in bear market as of now)
1) Dow Weekly chart (4 year chart shown here) was significantly oversold - more than I have seen in over 10+ years, as far as a weekly time frame goes. The RSI is circled at the top of the chart
2) Technical support around Dow 17/18K as indicated by the red line, and where buyers stepped up and we saw a reversal in yesterday's session.
3) Looking for a volatile move FIRST to Dow 22K and testing the resistance shown initially, then a test of the 200d SMA which is around 23-24K (where it will likely fail initially)
4) If there is a retest of Dow 18K you buy up again because its a great risk/reward entry level there, tons of support.
Some background, I have been day trading the markets since 1998 and I base all my calls off short term moves as no one can predict the future long term as we all saw. Good luck out there.
[quoted image]

Do you trade with stops? Or just an ichy trigger finger?

#2594 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Well, I would say it depends on your investing horizon. For myself, I have no idea where the market will be next week or even tomorrow, could be up or down. So, on a short term basis in my eyes it looks like more unknowns in the near term. Long term the market will be up. It may take years to see that happen, but it will happen.

#2595 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I assume everybody has had a trade blow up big in their face. I had one of those way back in 1986-87. And it is all about how you can get hammered by the news and the professional traders trying to stick it to each other. This virus is a different animal than what has come before. But you still cannot trust the news.
==================
This was the set up.
What was going on at the time: The AIDS virus was front page news. Biotech stocks had hit the market big time. There were stocks like Cetus, Biogen, and Genentech. Genentech had been a runaway success as far as the market was concerned. I was just getting started in my self-taught trading.
News was hard to get. Stock quotes on the tape were delayed by 20 minutes--unless you paid big bucks for real time quotes. You still had to get yesterday's action from the stock pages in newspapers. I subscribed to a weekly copy of Barrons until I learned I could get it sooner if I went to the news shop on Sunday.
I also had my Mansfield weekly charts. Genentech ran up from its IPO price all the way up to around 105 and then pulled back to around 85 and then bounced around in this range for a couple of months. When I started charting it, Genentech was around 95 dollars per share. OTM 85 puts with 6 weeks to go were selling for $3.50 per contract. OTM 100 calls were selling for around $3.50 per contract. I did not have the money to buy or sell a 95 dollar stock. But with the margin allowances on that stock I had enough margin allowance to short 5 options contracts.
I put on a short straddle and sold 5 OTM 85 6 week puts for $3.50 per. Times 500 that was $1750 credit to my account. The margin does not double on a short straddle so I also shorted 5 OTM 6 week calls for $3.50 per. $1750.00 x 2 = $3500 credit to my account. So, now all Genentech had to do is stay within 100 and 85 and I was golden. Genentech kept trading sideways and was slowly creeping up to $100 per share. My puts got down to 25 cents per contract so I bought those back and covered. The 100 strike calls were trading for about a dollar. Expiation was one week away. It was a Friday so I told myself that I would cover the short calls when they got to 50 cents. That is how I closed out Friday.
=============
This was the scene.
I worked nights and would spend my days setting at my broker's desk and we would watch his Quotron together. This is how I got real time quotes and news. If I wanted to make a trade, I would say to broker "buy this". He would fill out the ticket and hand it to the clerk. Many times I saw my trades happen soon as the order clerk made the entry. (You all may find it surprising, but in certain instances, a 100 share trade could get a stock to moving).
I had a good job with good income and could afford to take some risks. Some trades made my broker nervous. He had no balls, even with my money.
=========================
This turned out to be my problem
Options go thru an opening rotation. They do not start trading until after the stock trades. Genentech had moved from the IPO price of around $35 per share all the way up to $105 per. There was a chain of options as long as your arm. 1 week options. 3 month options, 6 months and 9 months. Lots of options to rotate through. Sometimes it could take 10 minutes to get all of the contracts open. I did not know about how options traded with opening rotations. I was about to find out.
==================================
This was the getting hosed part.
Monday morning. Bright and early. My broker is at his desk with me sitting at his side. I am short 5 genentech calls striking at 100 dollars that expire in 5 days. On Friday, those calls had closed at $1.00 per contract. About a minute before the market opened a news flash on Genentech popped up on the Quotron. At the moment, I knew I was hosed. I just did not know how bad it was going to be. The NEWS article? : "GENENTECH MAY HAVE FOUND A CURE FOR THE AIDS VIRUS." My butthole puckered up so tight you would not have been able drive and nail into it.
I am short 5 calls with a 100 strike price. The market opens and Genentech blasts out of the gate at $102 dollars. 103, then 104, 105. Me and my broker are going Oh shit oh shit. I cannot buy 500 shares of a $105 dollar stock; I don't have that kind of money and my margin was all used up. The price keeps moving up 106. 107. I cannot buy my short calls back because opening rotation was taking forever. 108, 109. Finally, when the stock hit 110 my options finally opened. My broker was freaking out, which was freaking me out, so I covered in a panic.
A trade that was going to net $3500.00 for me turned into a loss that cost me $4500.00. All it took was 10 minutes. I was psychologically hosed and frozen. As the week progressed, Genentech slowly started drifting down. But the end of the week it had settled back down to $95.00 per share and the calls I covered in a panic went out worthless. Even if I had put stop loss orders on these calls it would not have helped.
I learned a lot of lessons that day. #1 lesson: If you don't have to money to buy the actual shares to cover yourself, then you are overtrading. #2 lesson: Never trust the news as all kinds of games can be played with the news.
I put this up because while there will be all kinds of trading opportunities with this market, there will many opportunities for you to get hurt real bad.
You can call this trade a comedy of errors. Or a series of fuckups. The end result was the same.
Hope this helps anybody who managed to read thru it all.

All that for a $4500 loss. You call that a fuckup?? Lol

#2596 4 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

All that for a $4500 loss. You call that a fuckup?? Lol

What else you would you call it? You have worse?

#2597 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

What else you would you call it? You have worse?

Close to 6 figures on a trade once. Numerous 5 figure losses. I have also had equal or more gains to balance them out.

#2598 4 years ago

Bezos just pissed off the masses.

#2599 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Bezos just pissed off the masses.

What happened?

#2600 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

What happened?

Asked for donations. (Like that operator gofundme thread that went over like a brick). Apparently he did it yesterday(?) but word is just now getting around. I mean...I don't have an issue with it, but...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/coronavirus-amazon-jeff-bezos-relief-fund-covid-19-billionaire-net-worth-a9422236.html

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Boards
PinSound

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 12.95
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

There are 20,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 420.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders/page/52?hl=grandnational007 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.