Image 4-6-24 at 11.42?AM (resized).jpeg
IMG_7948 (resized).jpeg
kuiil-have-spoken.gif
200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,020 posts in this topic. You are on page 45 of 421.
#2201 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Eh, I cashed out quite a bit of stock towards the top so I'm good. At the time people were still saying this was overreaction. My reasons were slightly different though as due to job regulations I was locked out of buying anything for the last 3 years. During that time everything went up a lot, but I could not add to positions. Therefore once it started going down it made more sense for me to lock in profits and wait this out. Now it's just a matter of figuring out when is a good time to get back in.

No restrictions for me but I had big gain tax deferred. I was roughly 50% cash anyway when I started rotating out. Took a small loss of about 11% when I exited out completely. Figure we are going down lower that the 11% so my move makes sense for my circumstance. Look forward to bottom out and then push in hard. Good luck to all.

#2202 4 years ago

It sounds like most of you are sitting on the sidelines for a little? Anyone currently buying?

#2203 4 years ago

Sold some Stitch Fix today at $15.15. My effective average price is now $11.75.

#2204 4 years ago

For anyone in a rush to buy:

If you bought the top in 1998, it was 2007 before you got back to even and that was only for a very short time. And from the 2007 top it was 2013 before you got back to even.

If you want to buy, I think you will have lots of time to find a place to buy. Trying to pick bottoms can be suicide.

DOW (resized).jpegDOW (resized).jpeg

#2205 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

If you bought the top in 1998, it was 2007 before you got back to even and that was only for a very short time. And from the 2007 top it was 2013 before you got back to even.
If you want to buy, I think you will have lots of time to find a place to buy. Trying to pick bottoms can be suicide.
[quoted image]

And this is why I pulled out. I do not want dead money in the market.

#2206 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

[quoted image]

pretty sure we are currently not at the top
arguably not at the bottom either, but no where near the top

#2207 4 years ago

I bought MAR and USFD + more XOM and GE today. Long 15-20 years timeline.

#2208 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

And this is why I pulled out. I do not want dead money in the market.

good move if you can pull out close to the top - which was early Feb
otherwise if you pull out close to the bottom and the recovery passes you by, you did yourself no favors

#2209 4 years ago
Quoted from PinHigh1:

I bought MAR and USFD + more XOM and GE today. Long 15-20 years timeline.

I think MGM right now is a much better buy than MAR
USFD looks interesting at these levels
XOM - not sure I would touch oil right now
GE has had too many past issues for me - similar to BA

#2210 4 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

good move if you can pull out close to the top - which was early Feb
otherwise if you pull out close to the bottom and the recovery passes you by, you did yourself no favors

As I mentioned, my focus is not the DOW, it was my personal loss, which was only 11% I cashed out a lot of things unrelated to Corona in late Jan/early February. We are going much lower than 11%, which makes my play worthwhile.

#2211 4 years ago

Boeing is now trading at $96.00.

DJI down 1660.

Here is the SPX. The support level (if you can call it that) of 2400 has been broken. And in the fundamental stuff like a virus that no one knows anything about, something that has put the world wide airline industry to its knees, I think we see lower.

My only regret: I did not buy Boeing puts when it was at 255.00. But I have not done any trades for 10 years and need to get my account lined up and work on getting my trading chops back together. And without looking, I'm fairly sure the put premiums are not cheap.

Screen Shot 2020-03-18 at 12.00.23 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-03-18 at 12.00.23 PM (resized).png

#2212 4 years ago

Looks like they froze the market again.

#2213 4 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Unemployment claims

Now there's something to do today.

#2214 4 years ago
Quoted from hank35:

Question. Using Microsoft as an example. It appears shares are currently at $139.00. If I order now, before the market opens, will I get $139.00 price or the next price when market opens?
Thanks

You will pay no higher than the $139 if you use a limit order you will pay the highest ask under the $139 if the stock trades under your bid

#2215 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Looks like they froze the market again.

My ticker is frozen, too.

What is it? We get one more circuit breaker today and then everyone goes home?

Where's The Fed when you really need it?

#2216 4 years ago

Big 3 are halting production. Delta is cutting flights back 70%. This is only the beginning.

#2217 4 years ago

WalMart up 5.6% today.

#2218 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Big 3 are halting production. Delta is cutting flights back 70%. This is only the beginning.

Yesterday I read where the UAW was asking them to shut down.

#2219 4 years ago

We are open again and the DOW down 1800 points.

#2220 4 years ago

Whelp,

I just bailed on the market. Switched the kids 529's to "preservation of capital". Switched my 401k to "preservation of capital/short term bonds". Put in sell orders on all my IRA mutual funds. I will jump back in when the market hits 24,000 and I've missed the first part of the run or when I think it's bottomed. I think things are going to get worse before they get better. They say we are 8-10 days behind Italy on this. When Italy's market shoots up for a solid week, I'll jump back in, but it has been dropping even faster than the DOW. I don't know where we are going to bottom out, but if my theory on Italy is correct the DOW will close below 17,000 by next Friday. I'm guessing we won't see the lows until... sigh... July.

When I go back in I'll go back in with aggressive mutual funds, but will put my ROTH IRA in stocks. We'll see what looks cheap in 2 weeks time. I can only adjust funds in the kids 529s 2x per year, and I just did it, so I have to be extra careful on that one.

#2221 4 years ago

It's in a freefall at the moment, going to guess it will be ended shortly.

#2222 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Whelp,
I just bailed on the market. Switched the kids 529's to "preservation of capital". Switched my 401k to "preservation of capital/short term bonds". Put in sell orders on all my IRA mutual funds. I will jump back in when the market hits 24,000 and I've missed the first part of the run or when I think it's bottomed. I think things are going to get worse before they get better. They say we are 8-10 days behind Italy on this. When Italy's market shoots up for a solid week, I'll jump back in, but it has been dropping even faster than the DOW. I don't know where we are going to bottom out, but if my theory on Italy is correct the DOW will close below 17,000 by next Friday. I'm guessing we won't see the lows until... sigh... July.
When I go back in I'll go back in with aggressive mutual funds, but will put my ROTH IRA in stocks. We'll see what looks cheap in 2 weeks time. I can only adjust funds in the kids 529s 2x per year, and I just did it, so I have to be extra careful on that one.

Hey @sataneatscheese, I don't know the age of your kids but here in MD they have the prepaid college trust. Essentially, you are locking in college at a fixed rate and get state tax breaks for every year you have a payment. Did it for my daughter when she was born and worked it out that my annual payment is only 200 bucks over my tax break. If your kids are younger, this might be something for you to look at.

#2223 4 years ago

Here are the circuit breakers.

Screen Shot 2020-03-18 at 12.43.33 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-03-18 at 12.43.33 PM (resized).png

SPX is down 8.40%

#2224 4 years ago

Under 19k now

#2225 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Under 19k now

Fuck. I'm pulling for the market to go down, but not like this.

#2226 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Ha Ha Ha I know its not funny but it is

And what now?

The entire XXXXX stock rally is gone: Dow erases all its gains since XXXXX took office

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/18/investing/stocks-erase-trump-gains/index.html

#2227 4 years ago

Penn National (PENN) is getting crushed. Wonder when / if that makes it a buy.....?

#2228 4 years ago

It will be back up later in the year, just in time for XXXXX’s re-election

#2229 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

I have to agree. I've been shorting stocks and the dives this afternoon made me cringe even though I was profiting from it.

#2230 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Under 19k now

Down to 10k by end of the week?

#2231 4 years ago

#2232 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Down to 10k by end of the week?

Down to 17k by the end of next week.

#2233 4 years ago

Shades of Tulipmania? Chickens coming home to roost?

#2234 4 years ago

If the S&P hits 1600 it will be hard to resist rotating my 401k from bonds to stock funds. I was 90% bonds when all this started (Dow 29,000 +) now I’m 75% bonds 25% stock funds.

#2235 4 years ago

So where and when do you think the bottom will hit... Dow 7K in July?

#2237 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

I'm pulling for the market to go down, but not like this.

I was just hoping it would wait until I got mom's IRA out. After fiddle farting around for almost two weeks, this last Monday isn't looking so bad now.

#2238 4 years ago

Bull trap coming? It's rushing to 20k. Not aware of any real changing news..

#2239 4 years ago

Wow what a ride that was in the last 10 minutes...

#2240 4 years ago
Quoted from ReplayRyan:

Wow what a ride that was in the last 10 minutes...

Honestly dont' get it. Almost guaranteed to open lower...

#2242 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

We are in an unprecedented situation. dcfan has been saying for a while now levels that he thinks we will reach. I kind of think we will be somewhere in the 16000-18000 range when we settle out. I look at it this way: we are just about a week into this becoming real for the US. How long do you think it will be a major factor. Picking a number at random, lets say 10 weeks. We are 1/10th of the way through it. Cases and deaths are a lagging indicator of where the spread really is. When those numbers catch up, it is going to have a psychological impact on people and markets. We are going to have periods of what passes for normal or stable punctuated by gut punches (death milestones, quarantines and measures, celebrity deaths, companies closing, when it personally impacts you, etc) that are going to take the market down. Psychologically, try to prepare yourselves that these things are going to happen, that they are natural in the sense that this is normal course of action for an event like this, and that every milestone represents one more point on the path of getting through this. Try to stay normal and in my case, I have seen that most of the COVID threads on here are actually not beneficial to me and have drained them. Just a lot of random stuff punctuated with politics and the like that are counterproductive to me. I am in a mindset that this is going to suck, it is going to get worse, but it is only for an amount of time. I realize that I am in a much better position than most, and that I should practice being more grateful and appreciative to others. I am trying to help out others in my community, and ask that others that can do likewise.

Little gestures by those that are in good position to do so certainly can make a difference in people’s lives that may end up having a much harder time getting through these trying economic times. Yesterday I read that Replay Museum had a big business night a few nights ago but decided to shut down afterwards because they felt it was the right thing to do to keep people safe. I will make sure next time I visit Replay to buy a few extra passes to help them with their losses. For the person who does house cleaning a couple times a month for us, who is the nicest person I know, I just threw in an extra 60% for no reason other than because I am worried she and her husband may lose a lot of work. Even if what I give is not a huge amount I hope it helps people realize someone cares and are/is thinking of them.

#2244 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

If that happens, they will need to open the soup kitchens back up.

can't do that, unless it for 50 or fewer patrons.

#2245 4 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

can't do that, unless it for 50 or fewer patrons.

If they all have it, there's no harm!

#2246 4 years ago

This is one of the best stories I have seen. This small business owner should be commended!

https://www.capitalgazette.com/coronavirus/ac-cn-pasadena-boat-works-n95-masks-20200318-20200318-wkkc4gjyv5ccxktb7ow37lrqsi-story.html

#2247 4 years ago

Any reason why silver is dropping i actually thought in a time like this it would climb anyone smarter than me could explain it i would appreciate it.

#2248 4 years ago
Quoted from noob-a-tron:

Any reason why silver is dropping i actually thought in a time like this it would climb anyone smarter than me could explain it i would appreciate it.

Give it some time buddy. Right now it is one of those non essential things.

#2249 4 years ago

Thanks mate i thought so, I might keep stacking then.

#2250 4 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

[SPG 58.86 -6.93 (-10.53%)] - Simon Property Group, Inc. is an American commercial real estate company, the largest retail real estate investment trust (REIT), and the largest shopping mall operator in the US. It owns or has an interest in more than 325 properties comprising approximately 241,000,000 square feet of gross leasable area in North America and Asia.
down 58% in less than a month, from 142.77 on feb 21 2020. also down 50% from 119 in the last 7 trading days. shuttered customers and closeed stores means no retail business, leads to vacancies, meaning no rent. likely results, declining property values.
as for residential, 2008 can happen again. even the most creditworthy might not be able to pay the mortgage if they lose their job/business. foreclosures add to supply, and with fewer qualified buyers to maintain demand, prices should go down. in addition, people may have to tap their 401K at market lows to make ends meet, hurting their retirement prospects.

I would say that the specific area an REIT focuses in is important overall. Short term, nothing matters, it's all going down.

A company that owns tons of malls is probably pretty scary to be in right now. I don't go often, but when I do the mall that I go to doesn't seem to be hit terribly hard. Some empty units and lower foot traffic for sure, but business is still happening. This is not factoring in the current situation. I have read stories of huge chunks of malls being vacant of businesses though. The one in NW Tucson is like that.

I've seen a lot of local businesses close or move because of rents being increased by huge %'s outside of malls as well. Tucson is weird like that as well. you can drive around town in any part and typically find plenty of empty retail spaces.

I was actually referring to housing specifically, even though I didn't exactly say so. My brother is in Denver and would love to get a starter house but the market is silly expensive. If things cooled off there a little I'd be ok with that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 18.95
$ 12.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 21,020 posts in this topic. You are on page 45 of 421.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders/page/45?hl=dblm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.