Image 4-6-24 at 11.42?AM (resized).jpeg
IMG_7948 (resized).jpeg
kuiil-have-spoken.gif
200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,020 posts in this topic. You are on page 41 of 421.
#2001 4 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

If the housing market drops and your house goes down in value 20% do you sell it because it's a loss? You still own your house the same way you own x% of a company you have shares in.

Fortunately, I don't live in a portfolio.

#2002 4 years ago

Govt recommendations will be for all business to close on Monday. Eluded to it in this afternoon's press conference; but makes sense. Just do it and rip the band aid off and get back on solid ground.

#2003 4 years ago

As far as trading, I had forgotten one of mom's IRAs was tied up in the market. I'm in charge of that and it was set to annuitize soon, which I don't think you should ever let happen, so I dumped the whole thing a week ago.

#2004 4 years ago

It took Silver 2 years to go up after the 2008 crash. It dropped to about $10 an ounce just after 2008 and then went to about $50 an ounce within about 2 years. Will this happen again?

#2005 4 years ago

no it's not goin to really help anyone but the 'upper class' (and that includes most of us that can afford to buy pinball machines,) but that's just how capitalism works.

#2006 4 years ago
Quoted from noob-a-tron:

It took Silver 2 years to go up after the 2008 crash. It dropped to about $10 an ounce just after 2008 and then went to about $50 an ounce within about 2 years. Will this happen again?

I was selling off some silver when it was up around $30 as I was unemployed and it helped me do house repairs. If only I had known or figured it would get as high as it did, I might have waited a bit. I was about one year too early.

#2007 4 years ago

Australia getting hammered again down 4% in 5 mins

#2008 4 years ago

yeah i missed the Silver win also so hoping it repeats

#2009 4 years ago
Quoted from noob-a-tron:

yeah i missed the Silver win also so hoping it repeats

Yep, those Morgan Dollars get a lot shinier when they can be sold for $50 a piece.

#2010 4 years ago

Yeah i got a little addicted to stacking silver a few years ago. Sitting on it if it dont go anywhere will give it to the kids.

#2011 4 years ago

Should have bought more gold though got a bit when it was at a good price a few years ago but really wish i got more.

#2012 4 years ago

Where I screwed up was getting a job and then totally ignoring the value of silver continuing to rise until after the fact.

#2013 4 years ago

Australia already down 7% in 10 mins even after the government chucked a heap of money into it on Friday. So we recovered 4% on Friday after massive loses and now down over 7%. interesting times ahead.

#2014 4 years ago

My company employs 63 full timers. Twenty-eight of these employees own shares in the company.

My partner and I decided to close our offices for 10 business days, beginning tomorrow, while continuing to provide paychecks to all full time employees. This week all employees are off to tend to family obligations. We will all be telecommuting the following week. Due to this most recent rate cut, we will be taking out a loan which will be used to pay out our end of year bonuses, in full, on April 1 as opposed to December 15. It will also be used to pay health care deductibles for all of our full time employees through the end of June. My buddy who runs one of the largest GM and Toyota dealers in NY and NJ is doing something very similar.

Now we are hardly the titans of industry, but we are trying to do right by the folks who do right by us. So to answer your first question, yes, this rate cut will be helping people who are not members of the “upper class.” Maybe ease up on the negativity, just a little bit.

#2015 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Where I screwed up was getting a job and then totally ignoring the value of silver continuing to rise until after the fact.

Me also i was focused on other things at the time traveling Australia and having fun.

#2016 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

My company employs 63 full timers. Twenty-eight of these employees own shares in the company.
My partner and I decided to close our offices for 10 business days, beginning tomorrow, while continuing to provide paychecks to all full time employees. This week all employees are off to tend to family obligations. We will all be telecommuting the following week. Due to this most recent rate cut, we will be taking out a loan which will be used to pay out our end of year bonuses, in full, on April 1 as opposed to December 15. It will also be used to pay health care deductibles for all of our full time employees through the end of June. My buddy who runs one of the largest GM and Toyota dealers in NY and NJ is doing something very similar.
Now we are hardly the titans of industry, but we are trying to do right by the folks who do right by us. So to answer your first question, yes, this rate cut will be helping people who are not members of the “upper class.” Maybe ease up on the negativity, just a little bit.

It was a legitimate question. Perhaps do the same? That being said, I don't see a company of 63 being in the 'upper class' that I was referring to, so it is good to hear you think it will help you and others.

#2017 4 years ago

The Fed pretty much fired its last good bullet and hoping against hope that the market would go up.

And......

#2018 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Sounds like you lost your ass in the market. Well guess you can always sell that LW3 for $1K?

Down less than %20 better than the S&P with %10 cash ready to go into play as well as SPY and QQQ puts I am good. You on the other hand have a big ass tax bill for that portfolio you liquidated

#2019 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Any sign on direction yet?

Pre market down 1000 like last week it could be a day up a day down

#2020 4 years ago
Quoted from noob-a-tron:

Me also i was focused on other things at the time traveling Australia and having fun.

It was a time where it was just sad to look at the markets day after day. Could be that way again soon.

#2021 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

It was a legitimate question. Perhaps do the same? That being said, I don't see a company of 63 being in the 'upper class' that I was referring to, so it is good to hear you think it will help you and others.

Are you very young? I wish I was.

#2022 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

No one will want to be hero and hold over the weekend. Friday most likely down at close.

Sell your trades sell your options but hold on to your investments

#2023 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Are you very young? I wish I was.

I'm in the middle. Also, I wasn't intending any insult about the size of your company. I was differentiating between the well off and super well off. I'm well off myself.

#2024 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I'm in the middle. Also, I wasn't intending any insult about the size of your company. I was differentiating between the well off and super well off. I'm well off myself.

I wasn’t insulted at all.

#2025 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

A recession is going to come. Too much value has been lost around the world, and now panic is escalating. Rates have nowhere to going, there is political turmoil everywhere... well, now all the hipsters can see what a real recession is like.

Recessions are good they kill the week and the strong get stronger

#2026 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

My daddy used to say make money when the economy is good, spend it when it gets bad.

#2027 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Yeah this “week” definitely got killed if your were worried about the stock market. A weak person wouldn’t be able to hang. Meanwhile I can’t stop

#2028 4 years ago

Mr. Market does not like what it's hearing. No denying that.

#2029 4 years ago

If the market is up tomorrow, may be the last chance to sell everything and buy back into the dip.

#2030 4 years ago

When they took these measures in 2008 it didn't magically make the market return to previous highs overnight. It took like 9 months to bottom and it was still fragile for a couple years after that. The flash crash was over a year after the market bottomed. If you're a trader, maybe you can get out and try to time the market. If you're investing for retirement, do your weekly/monthly cost averaging that you would do any other time.

#2031 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Now we are hardly the titans of industry, but we are trying to do right by the folks who do right by us.

if only most companies abided by such morality... but I digress

#2032 4 years ago

This is a dumb question but I’m asking it anyways. Dow futures going up or down, is it folks from other countries trading us companies? I can’t trade after hours, correct? I’ve tried on E*TRADE and it looked like I couldn’t

#2033 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

The Fed pretty much fired its last good bullet and hoping against hope that the market would go up.
And......

yikes, is that really their lust hurrah?
Sub 22k DJI on the futures market.

#2034 4 years ago

Wow didnt bitcoin take a dive

#2035 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

yikes, is that really their lust hurrah?
Sub 22k DJI on the futures market.

Not at all. They'll be doing QE every day or so. They buy billions of dollars in treasuries, and that money they spend has a way of finding itself into the stock market. They did it for years after the financial crisis.

#2036 4 years ago

This is what they announced last week. I think what they said today is on top of this.

coupon schedule (resized).jpgcoupon schedule (resized).jpg
#2037 4 years ago

Their final bullet will be outright stock purchases. I don’t think they have the authority to do that yet, but they’d get it as a last resort. Some countries like Japan already do it.

#2038 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

That used to be quoted as "recessions never hurt the rich". At least you might turn on your spell checker.

Oops. A spell checker won't work for you.

At the end of the week maybe all of the weak will rise up.

#2039 4 years ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

This is a dumb question but I’m asking it anyways. Dow futures going up or down, is it folks from other countries trading us companies? I can’t trade after hours, correct? I’ve tried on E*TRADE and it looked like I couldn’t

It could be. One can pretty much trade around the world if your broker allows it.

My broker allows after hours trades. Or it used to. I have not done any trading for quite some time, but I am getting myself set up to go active again.

Ask your broker if it allows after hours trades. That is the only way you will get answer that is 100% correct.

#2040 4 years ago

They should shut down the stock market like after 911 for the week.

#2041 4 years ago
Quoted from indybru:

They should shut down the stock market like after 911 for the week.

9/11 was over and done in a matter of minutes. The end could be seen. A 3 or 4 day shutdown probably helped a little.

No body knows what this virus will end up doing. How would you know a one week shutdown would help anything? Sometimes shutdowns can make things worse. People start expecting a shutdown and start trying to get out before the shutdown hits. And if they don't get out they will be nervous Nellies chomping at the bit and if the news is still bad then they will sell. And your shutdown just got spanked as another down move comes on.

#2042 4 years ago

You don't, but I live in Illinois and the Governor shut down the schools for two weeks and now the restaurants and bars (except carry out).He doesn't want meetings of more than 250 people so the churches are closed, so as many people that work in New York in the stock market shouldn't they be concerned? All reports say NY worse than Illinois.

#2043 4 years ago

Australia down nearly 8% so far today

#2044 4 years ago

maybe it will rally now till close

#2045 4 years ago
Quoted from noob-a-tron:

Australia down nearly 8% so far today

#2046 4 years ago

"Here's what could really sink the global economy: $19 trillion in risky corporate debt."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/14/investing/corporate-debt-coronavirus/index.html

#2047 4 years ago
Quoted from noob-a-tron:

Wow didnt bitcoin take a dive

I don't have any stake in bitcoin, but I'm honestly surprised that took a big hit. I sort of expected to see people harboring money there...

#2048 4 years ago

Alright, so we're contributing to our kid's tax exempt college accounts. I think that's still a reasonable place to put our money, we're 34 with kids at 6 and 3(2). The plan is to put 6k total towards all 3 kids over the next 3 weeks (has to be in by tax time). I figure as much of an averaging as possible over that time would be of benefit, so we're going to put money in 2x per week. The options are limited, but currently I'm planning to put the money into a "aggressive index" plan, hoping to catch the bulk of the growth on rebound.

Anything glaringly bad about that plan?

#2049 4 years ago

Australia at close nearly 10% down thank God i dont play the stocks but might now.

#2050 4 years ago

Snapped up a few heavily discounted shares today to increase diversification.
SYD
APT
NDQ

See how it plays out, I'm hanging in for a few years yet.
Seen all my other holding dive over last couple of weeks.
My super got smashed as well

Looking forward to the upswing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 12.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 21,020 posts in this topic. You are on page 41 of 421.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders/page/41?hl=dblm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.