200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
hawks.gif
IMG_7782 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 20,971 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 420.
#1951 4 years ago

It ain't over until the lady with the glandular / eating disorder sings!

#1952 4 years ago
Quoted from jackd104:

Worry not. It will come back. In 2-3 years.

I hope it's sooner than that.

#1953 4 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

It's only a loss on paper unless you 'cash it in'
Still hurts if you think too hard about it though!

It's a loss. Massage it anyway you want. It is a loss. Especially if you are trading on margin. The margin clerk does not care. Trading on Margin means your equity is the first to go. Because you have an unrealized loss, the margin clerk wants some cash. Yeah, you can hold and pray the market comes back before your life is over. But if your statement is showing red ink you have a loss.

#1954 4 years ago

The only reason the market spiked is because the fed is injecting 1.5 trillion into the market. We clearly could see when they started buying, which coincidentally happened while Trump was in the middle of his speech.

#1955 4 years ago

If one trades on margin.

Margin call gentlemen!!

#1956 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

It's a loss. Massage it anyway you want. It is a loss. Especially if you are trading on margin. The margin clerk does not care. Trading on Margin means your equity is the first to go. Because you have an unrealized loss, the margin clerk wants some cash. Yeah, you can hold and pray the market comes back before your life is over. But if your statement is showing red ink you have a loss.

If the housing market drops and your house goes down in value 20% do you sell it because it's a loss? You still own your house the same way you own x% of a company you have shares in.

#1957 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

I've lost hundreds of thousands this week. But keep in mind...you still own those stocks, bonds, notes, funds etc. They havent vaporized. Their value has simply cratered but if you hold onto them they will...eventually...most likely come back up.
Also...If you have a decent finance guy you're not down nearly to the % that the market is.

This is true the long game is for me. If Disney (for example) shuts down the parks for 3 weeks or 3 months that doesn't mean Disney should be worth 1/2 of what it was before. You will still own a part of Disney's income stream for the next 350 months or however long you care to own it. This virus disruptions is bad I'm not saying it isn't but it's a drop in the bucket if you have the idea of investing for the long haul.

Microsoft was down 30% same as everything else but I can't see this virus will cause Microsoft to lose a third of it's value etc..

#1958 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

As Buffett said you don't know who's swimming naked until the tide goes out.

#1959 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I hope it's sooner than that.

In all fairness to you, but does it matter? Because if it takes a long-ish time then you get the benefit of being able to buy more shares at a discount. Say you were investing $4K a month, I'd rather get to invest at cheaper prices than if it jumped right back and then all the stocks have a high PE you can buy more shares over this time that stocks will be recovering.

my 2c.

My point unless you are retired they you are likely adding to your holdings over time and it's better to have be buying at lower PEs than higher PEs as shove be evident that you will make more on shares you bought when they are cheaper.

#1960 4 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

If the housing market drops and your house goes down in value 20% do you sell it because it's a loss? You still own your house the same way you own x% of a company you have shares in.

I did not say anything about selling. But you still have loss.
House, stocks, bonds, pinball machine, all the same. If price is less than what you paid you have a loss.

Sure, your stocks may be long term and will make you a fortune 20 years from now, but today you have unrealized loss.

Assume you used your stock portfolio to make a bank loan. The bank needs a certain amount of equity to maintain your loan. Call it mark-to-market if you want.

#1961 4 years ago

How many of you here are familiar with The Presidential Election Cycle market indicator?

How about the Super Bowl indicator?

How about the hemline indicator?

#1962 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

With a silver tongue devil speaking? I would not bet on a spike. Feel free to keep thumbing me down.

This comment did not age well

#1963 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

In all fairness to you, but does it matter? Because if it takes a long-ish time then you get the benefit of being able to buy more shares at a discount. Say you were investing $4K a month, I'd rather get to invest at cheaper prices than if it jumped right back and then all the stocks have a high PE you can buy more shares over this time that stocks will be recovering.
my 2c.
My point unless you are retired they you are likely adding to your holdings over time and it's better to have be buying at lower PEs than higher PEs as shove be evident that you will make more on shares you bought when they are cheaper.

Well, not if you factor in the time value of $. Yes, I'll reap the gains of new cash inflows, but it won't be enough to make up for the loss in % I could have earned had it been in stable slow growing appreciable.

#1964 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Well, not if you factor in the time value of $. Yes, I'll reap the gains of new cash inflows, but it won't be enough to make up for the loss in % I could have earned had it been in stable slow growing appreciable.

ok you got me, but the point I was trying to put out there was that people invest over time, like your paychecks, 401K contributions and dividend reinvestments.

*********unless you are retired and withdrawing money from your account, it's probably better to be buying more shares over time for example if Dis is $100/share you can buy 10 shares a month (for $1K) but if it jumps right back to $150 then you're only getting 6.5 shares a month.

I am not saying it's all static but in theory if Disney was to end up at $300 ten years form now you'd be crazy to wish it to jump up real quick, I'd rather DCA into the stock at $99, $104, $108, $109 etc, than for it to jump right up to $150 in a few short months. Either way it'll get to $300 (as an examine) but the slower rise will give you a lot more shares when it does hit $300.

#1965 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Nonsense.

#1966 4 years ago

Stock market spiked 1200 points during the speech to close at a 1985 point gain. No nonsense here.

#1967 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Stock market spiked 1200 points during the speech to close at a 1985 point gain. No nonsense here.

Well, when you rely on The Atlantic for your news.......

#1968 4 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

The only reason the market spiked is because the fed is injecting 1.5 trillion into the market. We clearly could see when they started buying, which coincidentally happened while Trump was in the middle of his speech.

You get it! There are no miracles, unicorns, coincidences. Every rise and fall is now "Historic". That rally cost the American taxpayer trillions. Now the big investors and Banks can sell at a better price Monday.
Then they can do it again...

#1969 4 years ago

It was enjoyable being behind a few days and having to catch up reading everyone's predictions. So much for Friday being another down day but I guess you got a 50/50 chance off being right.

#1970 4 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

It was enjoyable being behind a few days and having to catch up reading everyone's predictions. So much for Friday being another down day but I guess you got a 50/50 chance off being right.

Just got back from the Corvette museum with my dad. I sure missed a lot.

#1971 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Moderation warning prohibit a reasonable response.

Quoted from Mike_J:

#1972 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Nope, just look at a stock chart.

Snapshot (resized).pngSnapshot (resized).png
#1973 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Moderation warning prohibit a reasonable response.

I did not make any political statements at all. Cotton said the market would not spike during the speech, it spiked 1200 points during the speech, the end. Unlike some of the other threads, we have focused on the market in here, not politics, etc.

#1974 4 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Dont disagree. It also looks like you had a variety of short covering at the end. With the Cornoavirus budget being passed, it will be interesting to see where the markets go Monday.

#1975 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

I did not make any political statements at all. Cotton said the market would not spike during the speech, it spiked 1200 points during the speech, the end. Unlike some of the other threads, we have focused on the market in here, not politics, etc.

I did, in fact, misinterpret the flow of the conversation and the logic of your post. My mistake.

#1976 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I did, in fact, misinterpret the flow of the conversation and the logic of your post. My mistake.

No worries, brother. All good.

#1977 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

No worries, brother. All good.

Peace.

#1978 4 years ago
Quoted from ReplayRyan:

My guess regarding the conference is a continuation of what we've seen...market spikes up briefly based on hopeful news, then slowly continues back down...

I have to say I did not expect that large of a spike. Although once Trump started putting CEOs of specific companies up to the mic, I figured it was time to buy some of those stocks. Most have peaked and dropped some after close.

Who knows what the weekend and Monday trading holds, but I maintain my prediction that the overall market continues to go down, which leads to more stimulus measures.

#1979 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

It was a complete miss
I was surprised at how serious the administration finally got.

#1980 4 years ago

Seems like Australia did the same the night before they pumped a lot into it and America seems to follow suit so maybe watch the Australian market and it will give you an idea on the US. I actually am guessing i have no idea but it has been this way all last week.

#1981 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

It was a complete miss
I was surprised at how serious the administration finally got.

That was impressive. Regardless of what you think of this administration, it was kind of awesome seeing all of the public sector pulling together to help. Let’s hope this keeps up and that we can flatten the curve!

#1982 4 years ago
E3603684-216A-4402-8FFE-24AB9A6F7009 (resized).jpegE3603684-216A-4402-8FFE-24AB9A6F7009 (resized).jpeg
#1983 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

[quoted image]

Some people have been getting out of the market like yourself some are buying puts and some are buying stock in the end the winners will still be in the market your post stock vs pin's value thread "Nothing in the stock market turns to cash in hand on the same day. You might get digital numbers moved, but it’s not cash in hand. If a dude comes to my house with cash for a pinball machine, it’s instant cash in hand.
I just emptied an account from Fidelity and it’s going to take 2 weeks to get the check. And then I have to cash it
Liquidity Pins>Stocks"

#1984 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Dont disagree. It also looks like you had a variety of short covering at the end. With the Cornoavirus budget being passed, it will be interesting to see where the markets go Monday.

I see it dropping on Monday, although I hope not.

#1985 4 years ago

I'm in Buy Buy Buy mode

#1986 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Some people have been getting out of the market like yourself some are buying puts and some are buying stock in the end the winners will still be in the market your post stock vs pin's value thread "Nothing in the stock market turns to cash in hand on the same day. You might get digital numbers moved, but it’s not cash in hand. If a dude comes to my house with cash for a pinball machine, it’s instant cash in hand.
I just emptied an account from Fidelity and it’s going to take 2 weeks to get the check. And then I have to cash it
Liquidity Pins>Stocks"

Sounds like you lost your ass in the market. Well guess you can always sell that LW3 for $1K?

#1987 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Sounds like you lost your ass in the market. Well guess you can always sell that LW3 for $1K?

You give new meaning to the term pin head.

#1988 4 years ago

Any sign on direction yet?

#1989 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Any sign on direction yet?

Weekend wall street is pretty much useless, but they went from -1000 Dow to about flat. Futures open in 40 minutes, that's when you'll know more.

#1990 4 years ago

Fed reserve slashes interest rate to 0-0.25%

#1991 4 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

I'm in Buy Buy Buy mode

You spelt it wrong.. Its Bye Bye Bye mode

#1992 4 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Weekend wall street is pretty much useless, but they went from -1000 Dow to about flat. Futures open in 40 minutes, that's when you'll know more.

Does this inspire confidence or panic? To me, it's panic to the extreme. Therefore, the market will be up 2K tomorrow-- haha.

#1993 4 years ago

B326DE1A-192C-4F9B-9FD1-CD0F11C86D20 (resized).pngB326DE1A-192C-4F9B-9FD1-CD0F11C86D20 (resized).png
Fed just fired their last bullet, hope it works.. nothing left now.

#1994 4 years ago

Market is going to open up big tomorrow. Who knows what it will do later in the day. I will probably sell into the news tomorrow based upon the things that I bought last week. The infection curve is going to go up by nature and we will see an uptake in methodologies to try to curb the infection. As I have said a bunch of times, this is a trading market right now, so being nimble is the best way. Good luck to all.

#1996 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Market is going to open up big tomorrow. Who knows what it will do later in the day. I will probably sell into the news tomorrow based upon the things that I bought last week. The infection curve is going to go up by nature and we will see an uptake in methodologies to try to curb the infection. As I have said a bunch of times, this is a trading market right now, so being nimble is the best way. Good luck to all.

Futures are limit down. Most they can drop in one session.

#1997 4 years ago

Australia about to open so a good indication on American market for tomorrow.

#1998 4 years ago

So how do I bet against the market?

Rate cut and a half assed country wide shut down announcement on a sunday. Cdc “guidelines” coming tomorrow.

Were shutting down, or at least we should be. Why dont they just own it already. Stop trying to save your ass. Im afraid.

#1999 4 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

[quoted image]
Fed just fired their last bullet, hope it works.. nothing left now.

I was thinking the same. No wiggle room at 0%

#2000 4 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Futures are limit down. Most they can drop in one session.

Yeah, my hypothesis was wrong. We shall see what happens tomorrow.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
$ 12.95
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 20,971 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 420.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders/page/40?hl=dblm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.