IMG_7948 (resized).jpeg
kuiil-have-spoken.gif
200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 20,999 posts in this topic. You are on page 404 of 420.
#20151 5 months ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Pretty obvious from your responses you shouldn't buy gold. Nothing wrong with that.
Once you decide you are not going to be a part of something it makes it much easier and clearer what your path should be for your personal financial security.

We have several clients that have made money with gold.

I am happy to buy or hold anything that makes money, that's all I'm interested it. I just haven't personally made anything with gold in 20+ years.

#20152 4 months ago

Even with the recent events, we are seeing bullish indicators for a santa claus rally...

lee (resized).jpglee (resized).jpgsanta (resized).jpgsanta (resized).jpg
#20153 4 months ago

Awhile back I noticed people wearing Hoka shoes. So, I bought a few shares..... and have not been disappointed. Imagine getting in on Nike stock in the early 1980s..... just sayin'.

#20154 4 months ago
Quoted from gandamack:

Awhile back I noticed people wearing Hoka shoes. So, I bought a few shares..... and have not been disappointed. Imagine getting in on Nike stock in the early 1980s..... just sayin'.

or getting in CROX when everyone hated it.

#20155 4 months ago

Hoka and On Running are big up and comers in the shoe market. Nice catch on DECK, I've been thinking about ONON, much lower entry point and their stock has dropped even with an earnings beat.

#20156 4 months ago

Thoughts on any of these:

Express (EXPR)
Cars.com.com(CARS)
Chewy(CHWY)
Ford(F)
Paypal(PYPL)
Johnson Controls (JCI)

#20157 4 months ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Even with the recent events, we are seeing bullish indicators for a santa claus rally...

The Market has been bullish for the past month, almost 4 straight weeks of gains every day.

#20158 4 months ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

The Market has been bullish for the past month, almost 4 straight weeks of gains every day.

depending on what you are invested in

#20159 4 months ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

depending on what you are invested in

Sure, but I meant the Market overall. The one month charts for S&P 500, Dow and Nasdaq are pretty much all straight climbing the entire time. But sure, if you are invested in oil, it's been the opposite. I'm glad I sold all my oil and energy stocks and moved towards tech, I got pretty lucky and timed it well.

#20160 4 months ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:depending on what you are invested in

MSFT has been huge.

#20161 4 months ago
Quoted from hank35:

MSFT has been huge.

MSFT worked out well for me, I bought a bunch when I sold my rental house, I got the cash right in it's dip. In the 6 weeks since it's gone up nearly 16%.

#20162 4 months ago

FYI -

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#20163 4 months ago
Quoted from kool1:

FYI -
[quoted image]

I'm a total newbie with most charts, with the overbought chart, does that mean people are likely to start selling or the price will start dropping when it hits it's peak? Or anytime during that curve? That trend might be just starting today, while the market is up overall, the big tech companies all seem down.

#20164 4 months ago

They may start selling and then it will test lows, bounce back and go up......

...OR...

Even if something is overbought, there is always the chance there may be another breakout (depending on good news, random acts by the FED, etc) and the stock will go higher just as when something hits a low worse news comes out and the price collapses beneath the low. Remember the warning: Past performance doesn't guarantee future results .

If you are confident that a year from now things will be higher, just stay put, continue to buy when low and get lower average cost of purchases.
As kool1 posted elsewhere and myself and others might say - diversify if it makes sense for you.

I am still staying in T-notes for the most part and buying in slowly into SPY myself these days.

Quoted from nwpinball:

I'm a total newbie with most charts, with the overbought chart, does that mean people are likely to start selling or the price will start dropping when it hits it's peak? Or anytime during that curve? That trend might be just starting today, while the market is up overall, the big tech companies all seem down.

#20165 4 months ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Did you dump GRN too? Testing 52 week lows, after riding 20% above for the better part of the last 6 months. I may dip a toe.

#20166 4 months ago

Friendly reminder to check up on old 401ks. I got an email from an old employer asking me to update my beneficiaries for a 401k that was over a decade ago I didn't know had money in it. Only $3,000... but $3,000 is $3,000. I will be contacting my broker for info on getting it rolled over.

#20167 4 months ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Did you dump GRN too? Testing 52 week lows, after riding 20% above for the better part of the last 6 months. I may dip a toe.

I wasn't in GRN.

#20168 4 months ago

Did quick hit and runs on NEGG and WISH for about 15% gains on each. NEGG keeps climbing, it's become a meme stock and might keep going next week, but I didn't want to be caught being a bag holder when the pump ends and the dump begins.

#20169 4 months ago
Quoted from BRONX:

Markets did, Not bad I guess?
Anyone touching Paramount Global? Warren Buffet did, he is taking a haircut on that one! Does he see something that I don't? Hes gotten Kraft Heinz wrong aswell. Would it be smart to invest in "the Dogs of the Buffet"?

Apple to the rescue!

#20170 4 months ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Apple to the rescue!

That seemed like a little home cookin' to me.

#20171 4 months ago

$2240 for 1 oz of gold with commission current price

#20172 4 months ago

What the f is going on with bitcoin? Closing on $45,000, I wish I had bought more. I'm not sure if this is a sign of rate cuts coming or something else.

#20173 4 months ago
Quoted from kvan99:What the f is going on with bitcoin? Closing on $45,000, I wish I had bought more. I'm not sure if this is a sign of rate cuts coming or something else.

ETF is coming

#20174 4 months ago

Anything on the halving?
I was just researching and found some stuff on that news

#20175 4 months ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Anything on the halving?
I was just researching and found some stuff on that news

That’s in May 2024, Every 4 years the mining reward gets decreased by 50%

Usually a big rally comes little after the halving but every cycle is alittle different though not too much.

IMG_5676 (resized).jpegIMG_5676 (resized).jpeg
#20176 4 months ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

That’s in May 2024, Every 4 years the mining reward gets decreased by 50%
Usually a big rally comes little after the halving but every cycle is alittle different though not too much.
[quoted image]

I don’t understand what you’re saying. Could you elaborate on that concept?

#20177 4 months ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

I don’t understand what you’re saying. Could you elaborate on that concept?

Bitcoin price has traditionally followed the same pattern last 3 cycles (for this we ignore the first cycle because it was too new of an asset).

A cycle revolves around a halving, which happens ever four years. The halving cuts the amount of Bitcoin that gets awarded to miners every 15min.
Halving years are 2012-2016-2020-etc, same year as US presidential elections.

At some point the halvings wont matter as much because the reward gets so small. Atm it’s 6.25 Bitcoin every 15min. In 2024 it will change to 3.125btc.

Edit
Microstrategy stock has been crushing. They’re holding 1.7 billion dollars in unrealized gains just from btc purchases.

#20178 4 months ago

I'm surprised Bitcoin is trading this high when you can get over 5% on 1yr t-bills. Nwhat needs to happen to kills Bitcoin/crypto as Warren buffet sees in the future? 2 yrs ago not to many folks imagined 5.5% t-bills coming are way. What makes this strange is t-bills yield at 20+yrs highs, and cryptos climbing with it, strange? What would crypto be doing today if the fed didn't raise rates as aggressively?

#20179 4 months ago
Quoted from BRONX:

I'm surprised Bitcoin is trading this high when you can get over 5% on 1yr t-bills. Nwhat needs to happen to kills Bitcoin/crypto as Warren buffet sees in the future? 2 yrs ago not to many folks imagined 5.5% t-bills coming are way. What makes this strange is t-bills yield at 20+yrs highs, and cryptos climbing with it, strange? What would crypto be doing today if the fed didn't raise rates as aggressively?

Bitcoin has larger market cap than Berkshire atm.
Buffet will likely be dead before Bitcoin.

#20180 4 months ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

$2240 for 1 oz of gold with commission current price

ETF is a much better vehicle for gold - that's crazy.

#20181 4 months ago

kool1 insane gold bullion mark up. Like 8%

Silver bullion mark up is even worse, like 15%

Highway robbery.

#20182 4 months ago

I purchased some more SPY today, wish it hadn't started going up as I was buying into it .
I also rolled some money (more of it) back into T-bills at around 5.35% for 6 months.

Thought of waiting till either Friday or next week (with the job earnings report or Fed meeting) to make purchases but figure since I am looking longer a couple of bucks up or down for now (or even the next six months) won't be an issue for me.

There may be some big day drops or hops on low volumes with traders possibly taking off for the holidays. It happens. If you are planning on playing those, look to after Christmas and towards the last week of the year.

Good luck all and hope your holidays are going well for you.

Edit: The drops and hops can also be (from what I have seen historically and use to play in the past) with fund managers doing year end portfolio re-balancing.

#20183 4 months ago

Oh - and for those who are curious - next dividend date for SPY. Goes Ex-dividend on 12-15-23 and Recording date is 12-18-23. Paid out on 1-31-24:

SPY projected dividend (resized).JPGSPY projected dividend (resized).JPG
#20184 4 months ago

SPY is up 7% since I bought it in early October!

#20185 4 months ago

nwpinball you couldn't pick a better to buy in with spy

#20186 4 months ago

Yesterday Tom Lee said next year Financials up 25% Russell small caps up 50%

#20187 4 months ago

From our weekly technical call - looking good for longer term investors

#20188 4 months ago

Thanks for the good news, @kool1. Between that and watching the oscillation of money being injected into the economy (thanks, @pinnyheadhead) it is nice to get some confirmation for some trends we are seeing. Best of luck everyone!

Quoted from kool1:

From our weekly technical call - looking good for longer term investors
[quoted image]

#20189 4 months ago

So a pull back is expected before end of year?

What about energy? Is that ride over?

#20190 4 months ago

Well, we are testing the high end of the SPY band - SPY today closed at 4643.70. That is just outside of the range. We need to see if it hovers here, pops or may sell on the news depending on what the Fed says. Who knows if it will drop all the way down in the range.

Someone else will need to chime in on energy.

#20191 4 months ago

Oh I think so for now. Oil probably settles between $70-80 for the next while.

#20192 4 months ago

Gas keeps getting cheaper each day here, demand is always down this time of year.

#20193 4 months ago

(Makes "woo woo woo" noises).
Putting on my psychic nonsense hat and predicting the Fed will say that they plan for ONE to TWO rate cuts next year and will watch the economy closely and change as needed.
(Makes "woo woo woo" noises).

...Some pundits are saying it is going from their prediction of five to four and I wonder what they are thinking....

#20194 4 months ago

kool1

Since we are at 4680 for SPY, are we in a new range band? Figure 4680-4800 and if it breaks out of 4818 (plus or minus) we have higher confidence to go to 5634? Understanding this may not happen linearly Thanks!

And for the debtclock fans -US National Debt and US Total National Assets are going up - so good for SPY

#20195 4 months ago

Loving this market for the past 2 months!

#20196 4 months ago

If crude gets to 85ish again, I'm going to start trimming my oil holdings.

#20197 4 months ago
Quoted from pinball2020:

kool1
Since we are at 4680 for SPY, are we in a new range band? Figure 4680-4800 and if it breaks out of 4818 (plus or minus) we have higher confidence to go to 5634? Understanding this may not happen linearly Thanks!
And for the debtclock fans -US National Debt and US Total National Assets are going up - so good for SPY

Not necessarily but I don't know what fundamentals punch us through 4818.

More 52 week highs ahead but how and why and when all time highs come is anyone's guess. Stay long and buy dips. We may see one in January IMO.

#20198 4 months ago

If I were to hazard a guess, maybe close to the witching hour for expiration of options in January or around the time of the President's address to the nation?

Quoted from kool1:

Not necessarily but I don't know what fundamentals punch us through 4818.
More 52 week highs ahead but how and why and when all time highs come is anyone's guess. Stay long and buy dips. We may see one in January IMO.

#20199 4 months ago
Quoted from investingdad:

My advice is to max your savings, invest in two or three index funds that gives you a good balance of risk (equity and bond holdings) based on age, max your 401k for company match, max your IRA, and do that for the next 25 years. Don't sell, buy monthly regardless of what markets are doing.
Don't play with individual stocks.
Aim for saving 25% of your gross salary and work to make that happen. Marry somebody with similar ideals.
It's how we built a 7 figure portfolio in 16 years and compounded it quickly over the next ten. It's simple, it's boring, it's not what this thread is about. It's not complicated.
If you want to gamble, by all means, ignore my advice.

I'm so glad I listened to you.

80% into S&P and 20% into DJI.

Up 41% this year. Monthly installments auto deposited into my ROTH TSP with government matching 5%, and I don't even worry about it. Check the market news at the end of each day and let it ride.

#20200 4 months ago
Quoted from NPO:

I'm so glad I listened to you.
80% into S&P and 20% into DJI.
Up 41% this year. Monthly installments auto deposited into my ROTH TSP with government matching 5%, and I don't even worry about it. Check the market news at the end of each day and let it ride.

This is mostly what I do, invest in large index funds (although I usually have a few individual stocks), max out my employer matching, only changing up the funds once in a while. But I keep out about $25,000 to trade more actively for fun. And when I'm successful with more active trading, I move some of the profits into my two main index funds.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

There are 20,999 posts in this topic. You are on page 404 of 420.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders/page/404?hl=pinball2020 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.