200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
hawks.gif
IMG_7782 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 20,971 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 420.
#1901 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

No one will want to be hero and hold over the weekend. Friday most likely down at close.

The DJ futures has been hovering around -500 for most the night. If we could only be so lucky to have a -500 day...

#1902 4 years ago

In the DOW premarket it is at 20627.

The high on Feb 12 was 29551. (29551-20627)/29551 = 30.2% drop

From 15 days ago in this thread:

dow30% (resized).JPGdow30% (resized).JPG
#1903 4 years ago

I guess I would just say take a look at the last 10 years and how it got where it is, then ask yourself how far can it fall? Good luck!

Those of you trying to catch a falling knife, take your time. You'll have plenty of opportunities.

#1904 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I guess I would just say take a look at the last 10 years and how it got where it is, then ask yourself how far can it fall

It can’t go below zero

#1905 4 years ago

Saw this comparison

IMG_20200313_001933.jpgIMG_20200313_001933.jpg
#1906 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Saw this comparison[quoted image]

What do you think that means?

#1908 4 years ago

I shot my buy buy buy wad a couple of days too quick

Hoping for some normality next week !

#1909 4 years ago

Tech stocks haven’t come down that much, still above December 2018 levels.

#1910 4 years ago

Futures up 1,000 this am. Be careful buying today because the whipsawing is nowhere near done. Determine what stocks you want to buy, and chunk it into positions so that you can average up or down based upon where the market goes. Good luck all!

#1911 4 years ago

Still have yet to see where this is going. Probably more down...this cant be the bottom. We dont even know the impact of the shut downs yet.

#1912 4 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Still have yet to see where this is going. Probably more down...this cant be the bottom. We dont even know the impact of the shut downs yet.

the real panic has not even set in...

#1913 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I have ONE more trip to make at cost co today to feel good for a month at home. Can we wait till im done at work today? I had to come in...so stupid.

#1914 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Agreed. The blood in the streets moment has not yet arrived, IMO.

#1915 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Agreed. The blood in the streets moment has not yet arrived, IMO.

How much was it down so far this week before today? 14% or so? Multiple 2000 point down days in a week. That sure feels bloody. VIX almost hit 80. It's pretty rare to hit 40.

#1916 4 years ago

A recession is going to come. Too much value has been lost around the world, and now panic is escalating. Rates have nowhere to going, there is political turmoil everywhere... well, now all the hipsters can see what a real recession is like.

#1917 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

B21B869A-F2E1-4EC1-BDFA-F38BD27A7BEE.gifB21B869A-F2E1-4EC1-BDFA-F38BD27A7BEE.gif
#1918 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

A recession is going to come. Too much value has been lost around the world, and now panic is escalating. Rates have nowhere to going, there is political turmoil everywhere... well, now all the hipsters can see what a real recession is like.

The recession was going to happen anyways. You can't shut down major industries and put millions of people out of work, even temporarily, and not see a recession. Regardless of the value of equities, real economic activity (the thing equities used to be a proxy for, before the central banks decided to inflate everything forever) is going to crater. Most of us here on pinside are probably working professionals. Imagine all the people juggling part time jobs while their childcare and kids food mostly comes from public schools. Now the schools are closed and people have to choose between caring for their kids or going to work, if they're lucky enough to even still have a job. And then probably 10% of people are going to have medical bills.

#1919 4 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

The recession was going to happen anyways. You can't shut down major industries and put millions of people out of work, even temporarily, and not see a recession. Regardless of the value of equities, real economic activity (the thing equities used to be a proxy for, before the central banks decided to inflate everything forever) is going to crater. Most of us here on pinside are probably working professionals. Imagine all the people juggling part time jobs while their childcare and kids food mostly comes from public schools. Now the schools are closed and people have to choose between caring for their kids or going to work, if they're lucky enough to even still have a job. And then probably 10% of people are going to have medical bills.

Very true. It's only a matter of time until cash flows run out and bankruptcies will skyrocket as companies won't be able to cover their debt obligations. Then, it will only get worse.

#1920 4 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

How much was it down so far this week before today? 14% or so? Multiple 2000 point down days in a week. That sure feels bloody. VIX almost hit 80. It's pretty rare to hit 40.

Right now, everybody has just been giving back their gains.

It goes like this: Hey, I'm up $20,000.00; Oh shit, I am only up $15K, but I am still green; Damn ! I am only up $10K but I'm still playing with the market's money; What happened? I am only up $5K. but I'm still green; Fuck me! I'm $2000.00 in the red! I should have sold when I had the chance. Oh, well, I'll wait until it comes back and then I will sell. And on and on.

One reason this charts looks as good as it does is because Apple AAPL has not cratered. Yet.

Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 10.09.57 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-03-13 at 10.09.57 AM (resized).png

#1921 4 years ago

My opinion has changed, but compared to the masses I've turned from a pessimist to an optimist.

#1922 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Not everybody. I'm 6 figures into the red. I was in cash and bonds, so missed all the gains.

#1923 4 years ago

Presidential press conference announced for 3 EST on the Corona Virus. Will the market spike or crater afterwards?

#1924 4 years ago

Shit, bet they crater again!

#1925 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Presidential press conference announced for 3 EST on the Corona Virus. Will the market spike or crater afterwards?

With a silver tongue devil speaking? I would not bet on a spike. Feel free to keep thumbing me down.

#1926 4 years ago

Probably announcing he's infected. Or stock markets will close for a couple weeks.

#1927 4 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Not everybody. I'm 6 figures into the red. I was in cash and bonds, so missed all the gains.

You were in cash and bonds and are down 6 figures? Cash is cash. Bond prices have been going up. How does that cost you 6 figures? I don't understand.

#1928 4 years ago

The fed is doing several rounds of QE buying treasuries all day long today. In the good old days those would lead to gains.

#1929 4 years ago

Hard assets like gold, guns and pinball feel like a better place to be right now!

#1930 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You were in cash and bonds and are down 6 figures? Cash is cash. Bond prices have been going up. How does that cost you 6 figures? I don't understand.

I *was* in cash and bonds waiting for a pullback. I started buying in at S&P 3200, then more at 3000, then more at 2800, then more at 2600. The losses are adding up.

#1931 4 years ago

Press conference is about declaring a national emergency....supposedly payroll tax cut also.

#1932 4 years ago

My guess regarding the conference is a continuation of what we've seen...market spikes up briefly based on hopeful news, then slowly continues back down...

Shorted Disney this morning but it bounced everywhere so I gave up after losing $100. Tried to short RCL but it dropped too fast (seemed an obvious one).

Shorted Expedia a couple hundred more shares at $66.

#1933 4 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

I *was* in cash and bonds waiting for a pullback. I started buying in at S&P 3200, then more at 3000, then more at 2800, then more at 2600. The losses are adding up.

I see. Trying to pick the bottom and then started the averaging down play. Sounds like it was supposed to be a short term trade that turned into a long term investment

Back in the 90s a friend was subscribing to Louis Navellier's stock newsletter. The market pulled and Louis told his readers to buy. The market pulled back some more; Louis said buy; The market pulled back. some more and Louis said buy buy buy. The market kept pulling back; Louis kept saying BUY!.

After about 7 times of this down side action, Louis came out and said, " If you have any money left, I would be buying such-and-such." Since I was not a subscriber and did not follow Louis's advise, I got a good laugh out of that.

#1934 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I see. Trying to pick the bottom and then started the averaging down play. Sounds like it was supposed to be a short term trade that turned into a long term investment

No, I don't do short term plays. it was a "If I'm ever going to retire on what I've accumulated, I'm going to have to get in stocks since bond funds are going to be paying 1% play". I'm trying to put together a portfolio that pays $50k in dividends a year plus hopefully also grows in principal over time. It's about half S&P index and half dividend aristocrats. I'm not done average down yet. Hopefully it stays down for a while. I can put $1-2k a week into it.

#1935 4 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

gold, guns and pinball

should be a bumper sticker or a t shirt

#1936 4 years ago

https://financial-competitions.com/

My options account in January +29%
February +158.7%
Total +187.7% at the end of February.

ENHANCED GROWTH DIVISION (Futures and/or options)

Adrian Palmer, DMD + 187.7%

Nick Marino + 125.5%

Minh Le + 64.6%

#1937 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

It goes like this: Hey, I'm up $20,000.00; Oh shit, I am only up $15K, but I am still green; Damn ! I am only up $10K but I'm still playing with the market's money; What happened? I am only up $5K. but I'm still green; Fuck me! I'm $2000.00 in the red! I should have sold when I had the chance. Oh, well, I'll wait until it comes back and then I will sell. And on and on.
One reason this charts looks as good as it does is because Apple AAPL has not cratered. Yet.
[quoted image]

And this is why you either have to be nimble and do a bunch of trades or buy it and don't look at it. I am doing both. If you don't commit to a strategy (these or others), people will drive themselves nuts.

#1938 4 years ago

My poor 401k is down almost 30% in the last few days. I've been putting 26% of my pay in there for a long time now, just to watch it vaporize. It takes soooo long to accumulate and it disappears so quickly.

I have plenty of years left before retirement, but it's nauseating to watch it happen.

#1939 4 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

My poor 401k is down almost 30% in the last few days. I've been putting 26% of my pay in there for a long time now, just to watch it vaporize. It takes soooo long to accumulate and it disappears so quickly.
I have plenty of years left before retirement, but it's nauseating to watch it happen.

I've lost hundreds of thousands this week. But keep in mind...you still own those stocks, bonds, notes, funds etc. They havent vaporized. Their value has simply cratered but if you hold onto them they will...eventually...most likely come back up.

Also...If you have a decent finance guy you're not down nearly to the % that the market is.

#1940 4 years ago

Well… DOW has spiked 1,000 points since the press conference started. Up 7% overall for the day. Still doesn't make up for yesterday but the needle is moving in the right direction.

#1941 4 years ago

This is not a political statement. The White House speech that is going on is pretty impressive. Seeing all of these industry partners pull together is awesome. Hope that this helps stem the tide. Glad to see the market rallying off of this and love that the US was able to buy oil cheap. Very smart move.

#1942 4 years ago

Well… DOW has spiked 1,000 points since the press conference started. Up 7% overall for the day. Still doesn't make up for yesterday but the needle is moving in the right direction.

We are getting close for yesterday. Have never seen anything like this. Looks to be closing up 1973.

#1943 4 years ago

And the DOW closes almost 2,000 points up. US markets up almost 10% today. Doesn't make up for yesterday, but comes close.

#1944 4 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Worry not. It will come back. In 2-3 years.

#1945 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

This is not a political statement. The White House speech that is going on is pretty impressive. Seeing all of these industry partners pull together is awesome. Hope that this helps stem the tide. Glad to see the market rallying off of this and love that the US was able to buy oil cheap. Very smart move.

It’s a start. But a few weeks late.

Now they must continue to let the experts speak and reassure the public.

#1946 4 years ago
Quoted from jackd104:

Worry not. It will come back. In 2-3 years.

I hope the time frame is a little shorter than that. But I can wait that long if needed.

#1947 4 years ago

We really needed this day to not be a huge drop in the market. Thank goodness people can have a little more peaceful weekend.

#1948 4 years ago

It's only a loss on paper unless you 'cash it in'

Still hurts if you think too hard about it though!

#1949 4 years ago

Total insanity. This kind of volatility is not good for people with heart problems!

#1950 4 years ago

some more big drops next week would not surprise me

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 18.95
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

There are 20,971 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 420.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders/page/39?hl=mettle64 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.