IMG_7948 (resized).jpeg
kuiil-have-spoken.gif
200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,000 posts in this topic. You are on page 386 of 420.
#19251 11 months ago

RBLX is getting hit after the losses were higher than expected. I would buy this at around 30...and hold it for a year or so. It's a good long term play. Also, looking at Twilio, it's getting hammered more than it should....but, this one is a little riskier, AI maybe an issue for them.

#19253 11 months ago

My MNKD has a nice 15% bounce today after announcing q1 results. Big Pharma is trying to kill them, shorting like crazy, but they’ve proven resilient. I bought in low 3’s and now in low 4’s (was at 5 not too long ago. Good science here. Hoping they can hold off the raiders.

I also bought a little CCL, to average down some of my loss (not a large holding), hoping to ride what’s going to be the biggest summer in travel and leisure ever.

You doom sayers can keep it up, but the US economy is strong and resilient and there’s never been more mechanisms to prevent total collapse. I remember when my HS civics teacher - over 40 years ago - bemoaned that my age group would never be able to afford a house. Right.

#19254 11 months ago

I had sold some naked puts for FANG for $110. Ohhhh excited seeing it at around $127. Maybe in the next week I will get my shares put to me for only $110 each. Er, as long as it doesn't continue to drop to $90

#19255 11 months ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Who wants to gamble? Let's get on the action with WAL and ZION regional bank plays. Ken Griffin, the Citadel billionaire guy picked up 5% of WAL last week. He's the same guy who bailed out Melvin Capital hedge fund when the Wallstreetbets guys put on a short squeeze on Gamestop.
Small position only....because this is risky.

WAL's up over 12% and still climbing today, I took a very small position on it back when you posted this.

#19256 11 months ago

Trka

What’s gonna happen tomorrow?

#19257 11 months ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

WAL's up over 12% and still climbing today, I took a very small position on it back when you posted this.

Awesome, just put in a stop, like 10%....that's my gambling pain threshold. Morgan Stanley says be cautious but cited that there maybe a short squeeze coming.

#19258 11 months ago
Quoted from kvan99:

RBLX is getting hit after the losses were higher than expected. I would buy this at around 30...and hold it for a year or so. It's a good long term play. Also, looking at Twilio, it's getting hammered more than it should....but, this one is a little riskier, AI maybe an issue for them.

I would stay away from RBLX. The AI hype is mostly nonsense.

Quoted from kvan99:

Awesome, just put in a stop, like 10%....that's my gambling pain threshold. Morgan Stanley says be cautious but cited that there maybe a short squeeze coming.

If you are gambling stops are a must. Careful though, gaps down can kill you.

#19259 11 months ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Trka
What’s gonna happen tomorrow?

I got out of that long ago... I thought the short squeeze or pump and dump already happened?

#19260 11 months ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

I got out of that long ago... I thought the short squeeze or pump and dump already happened?

No idea lol. Bought some last week at .18, I don’t think it’s gonna pump just a jump based off revenue report.

#19261 11 months ago

Glad I ditched alot of my energy stocks and went back to tech... although I'm not sure how long this trend will last.

"Nasdaq is leading the Dow by the widest margin since 1991

The Nasdaq Composite is now leading the Dow Jones Industrial Average by 18.3%, its widest margin of outperformance since 1991 as of Tuesday’s close while the blue-chip gauge erases its year-to-date gain, according to Dow Jones Market Data.

After falling more than 300 points during Tuesday’s session, the Dow closed in the red for the year for the first time since May 4. The stock benchmark also finished below its 50-day moving average — a closely watched technical indicator — for the first time since March 30.

It has been extremely rare in the past 50 years for the tech-heavy index to exceed the Dow by such a wide margin. This is the first time since the Nasdaq’s launch in 1971 that the index has been up more than 17% year-to-date through May 16 during a stretch where the Dow was still stuck in the red for the year, according to Dow Jones Market Data."

#19262 11 months ago
Quoted from RTR:

Picked up some June 2024 XLE $70 calls for $14.50. Seems like a good bet that XLE will pop above $84 between now and then, but who knows.

Update on this trade - it popped to a 50% gain! But I got greedy, sat on it like a dummy, and now it's dropped to a 4% loss....

The advice to buy when oil is at $70 and sell when at $85 is very good advice and would have served me well had I followed it.

#19263 11 months ago

Just watch yourself for some whackadoodle swings in the next few days. Without any actual decisions on the budget, just rumors, things are skootching up higher but after that and after options expiration this Friday I think things are going to drop. There will be a relief pop though not sure if there will be any kind of rally once budget "crisis" is averted.

Still want to get back into energy - FANG especially - but will wait till it drops or really shows a comfortable entry point for me (which now is between 90-100 a share). Good luck everybody. Roller coaster ride continues.

#19264 11 months ago
Quoted from kvan99:

WAL is popping again today, I'm currently up 30% now. Wish I bought more.

#19265 11 months ago
Quoted from RTR:

Update on this trade - it popped to a 50% gain! But I got greedy, sat on it like a dummy, and now it's dropped to a 4% loss....
The advice to buy when oil is at $70 and sell when at $85 is very good advice and would have served me well had I followed it.

You are human. Forgive yourself and move on. It is very hard keeping emotions out of the market . Guilty as charged here as well .

#19266 11 months ago

I bought C3.AI when it was close to bottoming out... a couple days of good news has it up 27%. Honestly I just bought it because it's ticker is AI and I knew a bunch of people would buy it as they rush to buy AI stocks, I don't think the company has a ton of growth potential, although I could be wrong.

#19267 11 months ago
Quoted from RTR:

The same, I love doing that with NFLX below 300, BA below 200...etc.

Quoted from nwpinball:

WAL is popping again today, I'm currently up 30% now. Wish I bought more.

Me too...but it's still good. I think the very top price for WAL is around $38 so I'm stepping out of the trade soon. I agree with you about Tech, the risk is back on, I'm now looking for a pull back in AMD, NVDA and CRM to get back in. I also more bought INTC, getting hopeful about inventory being cleared out by next quarter.

#19268 11 months ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Me too...but it's still good. I think the very top price for WAL is around $38 so I'm stepping out of the trade soon. I agree with you about Tech, the risk is back on, I'm now looking for a pull back in AMD, NVDA and CRM to get back in. I also more bought INTC, getting hopeful about inventory being cleared out by next quarter.

Sold WAL as it started retreating and my my stop loss kicked in, it was a nice point to take 25% profits at.

#19269 11 months ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Bought a few more since this is when I should be 'buying it back'. Hopefully I'm smart enough to follow my own advice later...

#19270 11 months ago

NASDAQ hit it's 9 month high today.

#19271 11 months ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Sold WAL as it started retreating and my my stop loss kicked in, it was a nice point to take 25% profits at.

Good on you bruv.....I sold some, I'm still holding 200 shares. I will be putting the money in KRE, I think longterm it's a good value proposition. The downside risk has been mostly realized at these levels. It's a low risk, low reward ETF tho, for now, I'm ok with that. The NASDAQ was doing great till the Dallas Fed president opined about inflation....which was completely wrong and unnecessary. The economy is slowing down at a nice pace, no need for that kind of hawkish talk when regional banks are failing and financing is getting tight.

#19272 11 months ago

Anyone have experience buying Invesco BulletShares (or any defined maturity bond fund) and holding to maturity? BSJP matures in 2025, 12 month yield 5.75% and 30 day yield 8.13%. Current price $22.41. 5/18 NAV $22.35

If I understand it correctly, in the final year the maturing bonds inside get rolled into short term t-bills or other short term cash instruments, and they mature/pay out the NAV of shares in December of 2025 (in above example).

What I'm trying to figure out is how the NAV changes over time. I understand this is high yield and there is a default risk on some of the bonds in this environment.

#19273 11 months ago

I don't think it was the Dallas' Fed president's statement that did it because the Atlanta Fed guy said a few days ago that rates would continue hiking into 2024 and the market didn't really react. I think it is the timing that options are expiring and the market is going to start swinging down for a bit.

Or to keep it in pinball terms - we have had a lot of fun at the top of the playing field on ramps, bumpers and ball scoring and now it is down going to play around the center drain and side drains for a bit . Protect your quarters, gang .

Edit: I think the Fed comments are not-so-subtle indicators to telegraph upcoming intentions. Now people are paying attention to them because we are in the short term swing down.

Quoted from kvan99:

Good on you bruv.....I sold some, I'm still holding 200 shares. I will be putting the money in KRE, I think longterm it's a good value proposition. The downside risk has been mostly realized at these levels. It's a low risk, low reward ETF tho, for now, I'm ok with that. The NASDAQ was doing great till the Dallas Fed president opined about inflation....which was completely wrong and unnecessary. The economy is slowing down at a nice pace, no need for that kind of hawkish talk when regional banks are failing and financing is getting tight.

#19274 11 months ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

NASDAQ hit it's 9 month high today.

Be scared be very scared

#19275 11 months ago
Quoted from RTR:

Anyone have experience buying Invesco BulletShares (or any defined maturity bond fund) and holding to maturity? BSJP matures in 2025, 12 month yield 5.75% and 30 day yield 8.13%. Current price $22.41. 5/18 NAV $22.35
If I understand it correctly, in the final year the maturing bonds inside get rolled into short term t-bills or other short term cash instruments, and they mature/pay out the NAV of shares in December of 2025 (in above example).
What I'm trying to figure out is how the NAV changes over time. I understand this is high yield and there is a default risk on some of the bonds in this environment.

Just keep it simple and roll your own treasures online . Keep it simple

#19276 11 months ago

Oil is about to take off again...XLE

#19277 11 months ago
Quoted from spikelou2:

Just keep it simple and roll your own treasures online . Keep it simple

Dealing with my FOMO on whether to move into a few HY bond funds or not for the longer term. The rolling t-bill party, which I am doing right now, won't last forever I think and as those short term yields come down, so will the HY yields. Unless the economy tanks and defaults rise or we get more fed rate hikes plus the QT and other stuff the fed is doing that I don't understand.

Will HY bond rates will float further up and one should hide out in the t-bills for a better opportunity? Is the 300 basis point differential between HY and T-bills enough of a risk premium right now? It may not be - if fed keeps raising to 7% like Jamie Dimon just suggested, then there is an interest rate risk ready to bite anyone piling into HY right now.

Just not sure what to do, but now that I write it all out, seems like the rolling t-bill party might continue for some time and may be the better play. I chased some yield earlier this year with a great rate on Signature Bank preferreds and it was awesome right up to the point where I got wiped out. Then it was the opposite of awesome. Any input is welcome!

#19278 11 months ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Oil is about to take off again...XLE

Hey kvan99 - let me know when to sell those XLE calls I bought. I'm a pretty good buyer, but a lousy seller sometimes.

#19279 11 months ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Let's start a challenge if kool1 and iceman44 are up to it and agree
Take $250k - pick 5 stocks and give us your portfolio
I can track both of them and see who is "winning" each quarter
Can use closing prices of the day we start
Friendly competition, and I think it would be interesting
Completely understand if you are not interested

Month 5:

My $250,000 in Monopoly money is now $618,280 in Monopoly money in 5 months.

88558 (resized).png88558 (resized).png
#19280 11 months ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Month 5:
My $250,000 in Monopoly money is now $618,280 in Monopoly money in 5 months. [quoted image]

So many LEs could have been had!

#19281 11 months ago
Quoted from RTR:

Hey kvan99 - let me know when to sell those XLE calls I bought. I'm a pretty good buyer, but a lousy seller sometimes.

Ha, yeah...count me in that camp as well. It could all turn red in a few seconds if the debt ceiling talk turns goofy.

#19282 11 months ago
Quoted from kool1:

So many LEs could have been had!

Yeah... in the mean time my investment accounts are down 4% year over year... which I guess isn't too bad. Going to be taking a huge chunk of discretionary investing money out in the next few months to pay for a pool thats finally coming up to be built after 18 months of waiting. Speaking of which... As a general rule, if you have 100 stocks in a normal investing account and 1/2 are "up" and 1/2 are "down" and you don't need to liquidate all of them to fund something, which ones should you sell? The ones that are up or the ones that are down?

#19283 11 months ago

Yeah... in the mean time my investment accounts are down 4% year over year... which I guess isn't too bad. Going to be taking a huge chunk of discretionary investing money out in the next few months to pay for a pool thats finally coming up to be built after 18 months of waiting. Speaking of which... As a general rule, if you have 100 stocks in a normal investing account and 1/2 are "up" and 1/2 are "down" and you don't need to liquidate all of them to fund something, which ones should you sell? The ones that are up or the ones that are down?

sell the losers and take the tax loss
let the winners ride

#19284 11 months ago

Sell equal amount of your portfolio.. a little of everything

#19285 11 months ago

Is anyone thinking of cashing out some of their stocks for a few weeks in case the debt ceiling deal can't be reached and the economy tanks?

#19286 11 months ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Is anyone thinking of cashing out some of their stocks for a few weeks in case the debt ceiling deal can't be reached and the economy tanks?

Already done lol.

#19287 11 months ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

my gamble is on a deal being reached

#19288 11 months ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Political noise, nothing else.

If you are extremely tactical and have great timing, maybe it works but that's trading not investing.

If you are investing, stay long and add on the dip if we get there.

#19289 11 months ago

I think the market will sell-off at least one more time before they reach a deal...I refuse to believe we'll reach a compromise without a one last grand standing of some kind. Don't buy anything yet.

#19290 11 months ago

Gold trashing out, just as expected.

I'll grab some at $1200

#19291 11 months ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

I'll grab some at $1200

That won't happen.

Quoted from kvan99:

I think the market will sell-off at least one more time before they reach a deal...I refuse to believe we'll reach a compromise without a one last grand standing of some kind. Don't buy anything yet.

More downside certainly likely, we are barely off the year highs - I don't expect anything too crazy though.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#19292 11 months ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

I'll grab some at $1200

Ha! Let me know how that works out for you.

#19293 11 months ago

Nvidia just hit an all time high. It's just mind boggling, everyone else cut estimates but they just raised it 4 billion over the street estimate. I think this thing will now rocket to 400 much sooner than later. The AI fever clearly has a winner, they all need that H100 chip for their data centers.

#19294 11 months ago

I was stunned as well. My son spent $80 buying some calls and then he sold 5 for $2800 profit and is just riding 10 of them worth about $2800-3200. I am keeping my mouth shut and wishing him well. Glad he caught a nice win .

Quoted from kvan99:

Nvidia just hit an all time high. It's just mind boggling, everyone else cut estimates but they just raised it 4 billion over the street estimate. I think this thing will now rocket to 400 much sooner than later. The AI fever clearly has a winner, they all need that H100 chip for their data centers.

#19295 11 months ago

Nvidia is owned big in some of my index funds, they popped, one over 4% today. Nice!

#19296 11 months ago
Quoted from pinball2020:

I was stunned as well. My son spent $80 buying some calls and then he sold 5 for $2800 profit and is just riding 10 of them worth about $2800-3200. I am keeping my mouth shut and wishing him well. Glad he caught a nice win .

Dude, awesome....I wish, I had moved quicker. Believe it or not, I was thinking it would go down after the earnings.... The thesis was simple, all the the other tech and chip makers had lowered guidance, (and sold off) but I completely forgot about the AI hype that's gripping wallstreet. I didn't see through it, and wasn't able to ride the wave. I could've picked up shares for $346 after earnings but I thought it was already up too much...I'm confident it will see $400 and maybe even higher now. Oh well...next time. The debt ceiling debacle may give me another chance at it.

#19297 11 months ago

I thought about buying some puts heading into NVDA earnings. Glad I am easily distracted. Untreated ADHD can save you money sometimes….
IMG_4081 (resized).jpegIMG_4081 (resized).jpeg

#19298 11 months ago

Month 5:
My $250,000 in Monopoly money is now $618,280 in Monopoly money in 5 months. [quoted image]

Typo in D2

#19299 11 months ago

Sold C3 AI at 50% gains today. The AI craze is big right now, but it's going to go in waves.

#19300 11 months ago

Debt ceiling deal reached.....but wait, it hasn't passed the house yet, the militant bunch are talking about a no vote. I hope I'm wrong, but I still think we're going to see some whipsaw action before it's all done.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

There are 21,000 posts in this topic. You are on page 386 of 420.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders/page/386 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.