Image 4-6-24 at 11.42?AM (resized).jpeg
IMG_7948 (resized).jpeg
kuiil-have-spoken.gif
200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,022 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 421.
#1801 4 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Bye...good luck everyone. I’m out of here.
I made it clear that I’m not dealing with losers.

I am sorry to hear that you are bailing on this thread, i have very much enjoyed seeing your trades. I appreciate how you post winning and losing trades, i hope you take a break for a bit and then get back in here to talk about the markets.

#1802 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I can’t see XOM cutting dividends after 37 years of raising dividends. XOM also is involved with downstream refining and gas stations as well as chemicals which aren’t that effected by low oil prices. Likely XOM will pick up on cheap small oil companies that are struggling.

They won't be cutting. Judging by their history they'll raise next quarter. Just keep collecting those 7-8% yearly checks, reinvest them if that's your thing, and you'll be happy years from now. As always, know your risk. They're about 1% of my portfolio and currently my only energy play. I do think Chevron has the better balance sheet though.

#1803 4 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Bye...good luck everyone. I’m out of here.
I made it clear that I’m not dealing with losers.

You’ll be missed. By someone I’m sure.

#1804 4 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

This market is so incredibly oversold.
Fact: Lower oil means higher profits for all companies (except oil companies).
Fact: Lower interest rates, means lower borrowing costs for everyone. I saw earlier, that Bank of America stopped taking on new mortgage refinancing applications because they are so overwhelmed.
Fact: The press has gone to town in creating a coronavirus hysteria. I had a doctor appointment this morning and my doctor said seeing the press flat out lie about coronavirus made him sick to his stomach. He said it isn't the measles, where it just rapidly spreads. He said this virus is actually difficult to spread, because it can only enter your body through the eyes, nose or mouth and only through bodily fluids. He also went on to say that the virus dies within minutes of exiting the body.

So of all the experts and doctors in the world...YOUR doctor is the ultimate source of truth? Get over yourself brother. And you might want to find a new doctor.

#1805 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Be careful following advice on the page as this same poster recommended Exxon again today with a %35 drop since his pryer recommendation

FYI I don't recommended anything, I comment on stocks I think are potentially undervalued. I'm an income investor. I mostly buy dividend aristocrats trading at discounts to their historical yield. If those purchases get to be too much of a premium to their historical yield I'll sell and purchase something that's undervalued. Sometimes I sell puts on things I wouldn't mind owning cheaper (ie I sold XOM puts at $57 and got assigned, today I sold more XOM puts at $41). I'll also sell covered calls to generate income on positions I wouldn't mind getting out of at slightly higher levels. I have zero interest in the flavor of the week stock (such as SPCE that you mentioned a couple weeks back).

#1806 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

It was not all that long ago, the press was talking up how the U.S. was now the world's largest producer oil due to the bonanza brought on by oil fracking. The U.S. is/was exporting lots of oil. This action was helping keep a lid on crude prices and giving OPECs headaches.
In one fell swoop, Saudia Arabia just showed the world who is boss. All SA has to do is turn on the tap for easy pickings.
With prices at these levels, the heavily indebted oil companies can't make a buck. There goes North Dakota. There goes Midland-Odessa Texas---again.
Drilling will stop. Fracking will stop. Jobs galore can disappear real fast. Drilling rigs, drilling mud. Drill bits. Trucks will be made idle. Idle trucks do not wear out tires. Idle trucks do not suffer mechanical breakdowns so mechanics will be looking for work. It is a long list.
You don't even want to talk about the travel industry. Those companies are getting hammered.
This action is not going to correct overnight.

If fracking stops maybe there’s a silver lining after all.

#1807 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

If fracking stops maybe there’s a silver lining after all.

I'm sure the 1.7 million people who are employed due to fracking don't share your opinion.

#1808 4 years ago

In my opinion, if you have cash laying around, buy low now, sell high later. The corona virus has slowed tremendously in China. It will slow everywhere else too. The market will jump very quickly when there is a glimmer of hope. Which there will be. Eventually. People selling off everything is crazy to me. The flu is more prevalent and just as dangerous as the Coronavirus. Just look at the numbers. Media is blowing this up. Don’t get me wrong, I would’nt go visit Italy right now, but things will settle soon enough.

#1809 4 years ago

I agree, but what about the oil price crash? I don’t claim to understand how it impacts the market, but the market sure took notice yesterday.

#1810 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I'm sure the 1.7 million people who are employed due to fracking don't share your opinion.

The other 300M in the country seeing the destruction of natural resources and the environment don’t agree. I don’t think short term jobs outweigh the future of the land and people that want to live on it. There’s a lot of options in this world to make money. Figure it out.

#1811 4 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

In my opinion, if you have cash laying around, buy low now, sell high later. The corona virus has slowed tremendously in China. It will slow everywhere else too. The market will jump very quickly when there is a glimmer of hope. Which there will be. Eventually. People selling off everything is crazy to me. The flu is more prevalent and just as dangerous as the Coronavirus. Just look at the numbers. Media is blowing this up. Don’t get me wrong, I would’nt go visit Italy right now, but things will settle soon enough.

Agree with the first sentence, disagree with the rest of the internet doctor guessing since it's already been covered repeatedly and you are rehashing the same uninformed statements as everyone else crying because the market is down. With it just now getting to the US, we don't know what we are in for yet.

The safest bet if you really want to buy on the down, is buy a little each day/week of what you are interested in and keep cash ready.

#1812 4 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I am sorry to hear that you are bailing on this thread, i have very much enjoyed seeing your trades. I appreciate how you post winning and losing trades, i hope you take a break for a bit and then get back in here to talk about the markets.

I don’t blame him. This was one of my favorite threads but it turned into another drama filled pinside thread because of a couple of folks. I hope it gets back to the normal stock chat

#1814 4 years ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

I don’t blame him. This was one of my favorite threads but it turned into another drama filled pinside thread because of a couple of folks. I hope it gets back to the normal stock chat

Yeah, just normal stock chat in a world that’s totally shutting down and where markets are cratering. So much DRAMA!

Deal with it.

#1815 4 years ago

Yeah, just normal stock chat in a world that’s totally shutting down and where markets are cratering. So much DRAMA!
Deal with it.

Yep, the sky is falling better let everyone know on pinside.

#1816 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Agree with the first sentence, disagree with the rest of the internet doctor guessing since it's already been covered repeatedly and you are rehashing the same uninformed statements as everyone else crying because the market is down. With it just now getting to the US, we don't know what we are in for yet.
The safest bet if you really want to buy on the down, is buy a little each day/week of what you are interested in and keep cash ready.

As has been mentioned somewhere, with zero commissions, dollar cost averaging is a whole lot easier then it used to be. Hell, you could buy 1 share a day or 1 share in the morning and another in the afternoon.

#1817 4 years ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

Yep, the sky is falling better let everyone know on pinside.

The whole world is dealing with this. The sky is falling on countries. Pinside is my casual relief. Maybe you should start paying attention to the the real - non pinball - world.

#1818 4 years ago

I have just bought shares in a couple of ETF'S, Thinking market bottomed out or close to it.

Im no expert, just taking a speculative punt.

Hope all your transactions work out well fellow pinsiders.

#1819 4 years ago

The whole world is dealing with this. The sky is falling on countries. Pinside is my casual relief. Maybe you should start paying attention to the the real - non pinball - world.

Yikes, this is your casual relief?!?! The way you have commented on here I would hate to see how you act in the real - non pinball - world.

#1820 4 years ago

The other 300M in the country seeing the destruction of natural resources and the environment don’t agree. I don’t think short term jobs outweigh the future of the land and people that want to live on it. There’s a lot of options in this world to make money. Figure it out.

It's obvious from your posts you can't take it when someone has a different opinion than your own. "Figure it out", "start paying attention", "Deal with It!", and that's just on this page.

Relax dude. It's obvious this whole thing is bothering you, I get it. Hope you get it all under control.

#1821 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

As has been mentioned somewhere, with zero commissions, dollar cost averaging is a whole lot easier then it used to be. Hell, you could buy 1 share a day or 1 share in the morning and another in the afternoon.

This is very true, my point was simply rather than blow all your cash on one day, spread it out over the next month. I've been buying small increments of my holdings as the lows happen. I haven't talked myself into buying into anything new at this point.

#1822 4 years ago

Unless you are a pathologist, an immunologist, or a clinical researcher at the CDC, NIH, or similar organization, please take your opinions of COVID 19 out of this thread. Such a good thread is being ruined by a bunch of know-nothings. There are plenty of dumpster fire threads on Pinside where you can argue that this is the greatest existential threat to humanity or the the greatest media con job. The only dead that I care to discuss here are dead presidents and how high I can stack them.

#1823 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Unless you are a pathologist, an immunologist, or a clinical researcher at the CDC, NIH, or similar organization, please take your opinions of COVID 19 out of this thread. Such a good thread is being ruined by a bunch of know-nothings. There are plenty of dumpster fire threads on Pinside where you can argue that this is the greatest existential threat to humanity or the the greatest media con job. The only dead that I care to discuss here are dead presidents and how high I can stack them.

I agree with you. However, the Coronavirus is a big part of why the stock market has plummeted, which directly effects market traders, which is the title of this thread.

#1824 4 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

I agree with you. However, the Coronavirus is a big part of why the stock market has plummeted, which directly effects market traders, which is the title of this thread.

Oh, I get that fully. It is driving a lot of the market now with a few other factors. With that being said, I don’t think we need people’s uninformed opinions about the virus here. If you look back at the several pages there has been squabbling and the like that is not related to the stock market. That can just exit stage left.

#1825 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Ignore Div yield look into Div growth history AMGN Div %3.23 5 year annual growth %15.16 XOM %8.31 div 5 year annual growth %4.75

Quoted from rai:

I can’t see XOM cutting dividends after 37 years of raising dividends. XOM also is involved with downstream refining and gas stations as well as chemicals which aren’t that effected by low oil prices. Likely XOM will pick up on cheap small oil companies that are struggling.

OXY PET has cut its dividend 86%. Will be cutting capital expenditures,as well.

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/occidental-slashes-dividend-cuts-capex-amid-falling-oil-prices?puc=_htmlmdb_pla&cm_ven=EMAIL_htmlmdb&tstmem=28910592&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=MDB&utm_term=Occidental+Petroleum+Slashes+Dividend+86%25+and+Will+Cut+Capex+After+Oil-Price+Decline

" Due to the sharp decline in global commodity prices, we are taking actions that will strengthen our balance sheet and continue to reduce debt," Chief Executive Vicki Hollub said in a statement. "
===================================

I don't follow either OXY or XOM. But I don't think I will consider XOM for the dividend. I have too many memories of companies, right and left, cutting their dividends in the 2008 Great Recession.

#1826 4 years ago

I feel for the folks that were looking to retire right now and their 401k’s have been hammered. Hopefully they can hang in there until this market bounces back. We all know it will. The question is when.

#1827 4 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

I feel for the folks that were looking to retire right now and their 401k’s have been hammered. Hopefully they can hang in there until this market bounces back. We all know it will. The question is when.

If they were close to retirement, hopefully their portfolio was balanced correctly.

#1828 4 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

Likely (should have) been balanced into bonds and the thinking is to be able live off bonds while stocks are down.

If people were to live off of their retirement savings they’d likely have 10+ years living expenses in bonds.

If they’re 100% stocks that’s a different and risky proposition.

#1829 4 years ago

Gave in and bought back some CM and ENB today. Wrote some calls on the CM. Got some VXX Mar 13 $40 calls about to expire. Got a ways to go to breakeven on these still.

#1830 4 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

I feel for the folks that were looking to retire right now and their 401k’s have been hammered

Yes. I'm of the opinion that one needs to have three years worth of expenses in cash. If the market returns 4% or more, you pull that out. If not you use cash. For example, last year there was a period where the market was up 20%. If you live off of 4% in retirement, that's 5 years worth of income without touching principle.

#1831 4 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

Yes. I'm of the opinion that one needs to have three years worth of expenses in cash. If the market returns 4% or more, you pull that out. If not you use cash. For example, last year there was a period where the market was up 20%. If you live off of 4% in retirement, that's 5 years worth of income without touching principle.

But you are using your brain and thinking logically! I agree with you, but most people get greedy and let their emotions drive their investments. The plan is to hold enough in safe investments for three years to ride out the biggest storm.

#1832 4 years ago

Wow ! I have been out of town all day long.

It has been one hell of week. Yesterday, I thought Boeing might come down to $200.00. And it is now $190.00. Now, the question becomes, "Can it get back to $200.00. Maybe Boeing holds here, but I think it will see $120.00 but I'm not for sure how long it will take to get there.

Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 5.43.28 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-03-11 at 5.43.28 PM (resized).png
#1833 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

If they were close to retirement, hopefully their portfolio was balanced correctly.

I'm in that boat. Literally ready to walk out the door in around a month. While the CFA rebalanced a good chunk not long ago, and I can ride this...no way I'm walking out door with this firestorm going on. Luckily, they prefer I stay on.

#1834 4 years ago

Yeesh, President just announced travel ban to/from Europe, excluding UK.

#1835 4 years ago

tomorrow gonna be brutal i would wager. got some cash on sideline may be some bargains.

have some RSUs vested today that have to sell by Friday or enter blackout window till next quarter.. suck timing.. prob gonna hold on to them now i would guess.

#1836 4 years ago

So... 3/12 will be worst dow day of year...

#1837 4 years ago

We need another Black Swan, 2000 point drop and then it’s buying time.

#1838 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

So... 3/12 will be worst dow day of year...

Premarket is down about 2.15% already.

#1839 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

I see a lot of talk about dividend stocks on here. Are folks primarily buying for the dividend? My broker and I tend to buy stocks that we think are going to have movements up and if they pay a dividend while we wait, that is a bonus. Just curious how others are approaching this.

I like quality companies with sound management who have consistently increased dividends year over year. If they can do that then you know they are doing something right. Buy on dips and don’t try to time the market but when returns are good it might be time to take some off the table and protect profit. KISS principals

#1840 4 years ago

Australia getting hammered again today. I bought gold and silver a few years ago should i hold guys as its $2500 an Ounce in Australia for gold and nearly $26 an ounce for silver or should i cash in? I bought gold at $1800 an ounce and silver at around $21 i think.

#1841 4 years ago

Australia down over 5% today so far

#1842 4 years ago
Quoted from noob-a-tron:

Australia down over 5% today so far

But what should I buy from Australia? What is your largest, best run, cash in the bank, company?

#1843 4 years ago

The premarket circuit breaker of 5% may be going off tonight in the US.

#1844 4 years ago

I am a hold it in your hand invest kind of guy but our big 4 are Wesfarmers, Woolworths Commonwealth bank and BHP. No idea who i would go.

#1845 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

The premarket circuit breaker of 5% may be going off tonight in the US.

In the morning for sure. NBA just suspended the season after a Utah player tested positive. This and other cancellations is going to cause a panic.

Keep your powder dry, boys and girls. There are going to be opportunities to nibble coming up soon.

#1846 4 years ago

Maybe water here.

#1847 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

NBA just suspended the season

oh FUCK! ESPN just put it up. Suspend the season. WTF!

#1848 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

In the morning for sure. NBA just suspended the season after a Utah player tested positive. This and other cancellations is going to cause a panic.
Keep your powder dry, boys and girls. There are going to be opportunities to nibble coming up soon.

Now down 3.27%, 5% in premarket is the stopper if it gets there.

#1849 4 years ago

Panic and fear sitting in. Don’t blame folks, but a big driver is fear of liability if somebody from company x gets somebody sick or if somebody gets sick at a company’s event.. Got an email about an hour ago that my company is shutting down the offices and folks are working from home. Does not impact me as I am home based but I am curious to see how many clients want to meet in person via zoom. Regardless, I still have software to sell and to the client base impacted.

#1850 4 years ago

Australia down 7%

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 12.95
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 21,022 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 421.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders/page/37?hl=bork and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.