Image 4-6-24 at 11.42?AM (resized).jpeg
IMG_7948 (resized).jpeg
kuiil-have-spoken.gif
200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,022 posts in this topic. You are on page 369 of 421.
#18401 1 year ago

Dropped the IRA funds for the year into:
FIS, CHTR, HES, ENPH, DXCM, ULTA, OPEN, ADP, UPS, QCOM, MRNA, LNG, ALNY, BMRN, FMC, RNG, and Z

#18402 1 year ago

Boeing....wow! They're finally talking about it. 2023 is going to put this thing back on top......that and Meta are my top hope/wish for 2023. Santa rally is a bit late but at least it's here.

#18403 1 year ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Boeing....wow! They're finally talking about it. 2023 is going to put this thing back on top......that and Meta are my top hope/wish for 2023. Santa rally is a bit late but at least it's here.

You know things are bad when one up day is called a "rally"

#18404 1 year ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

I believe the term is "sucker's rally".....

#18405 1 year ago

This reminds me of the gpu market.

HOOOOOLLD strong.

#18406 1 year ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

The market has shaken off hot job reports every time. I expect it will do it again. As long as Boeing behaves like it has in the past 2 months my portfolio is rallying. Now if only Meta flips I'll be in great shape.

#18407 1 year ago
Quoted from kvan99:

The market has shaken off hot job reports every time. I expect it will do it again. As long as Boeing behaves like it has in the past 2 months my portfolio is rallying. Now if only Meta flips I'll be in great shape.

Do you really expect META to flip?? I've mostly given up on that company.

#18408 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

It looks like it has bottomed technically.

Trading at a significant discount to the market - I suspect it can be bought here.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#18409 1 year ago
Quoted from kool1:

It looks like it has bottomed technically.
Trading at a significant discount to the market - I suspect it can be bought here.
[quoted image]

But why? It's Meta.
Far better tech to invest in, that also pay dividends.

#18410 1 year ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

But why? It's Meta.

Yeah, I haven't heard anything they are doing that makes me think it is going to rally any time soon. Nothing but negatives...I foolishly jumped in right before they changed names because of how they were basically leading with VR and metaverse etc only to find out what a joke that was.

#18411 1 year ago

But why? It's Meta.

It's valuation - Meta trades at 12X. AAPL is 20X, MSFT is 24X, GOOG is 18X, AMZN is 76X

Huge cuts in R&D spending. Also, META is a cashflow monster - don't underestimate the power of that.

Or buy AAPL - new 52 week low yesterday

#18412 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Yeah, what Kool said....except Meta's price is more like 10x (with the cost cutting). Now, remember, this is a very profitable company, the market is spooked because they think the CEO is distracted and has lost focus(does this remind of you of another tech darling that's in the dumps?). If either one of those CEOs comes out and makes some positive comments the stock of Meta and Tesla will jump. Zuckerberg already knows he needs to reassure the market, Musk I'm not so sure about. Ironically, Musk can make his stock move just by tweeting, I'm sure he will refocus soon. He doesn't like to be in negative light, he also hates when people bet against him, once he does refocus the short squeeze alone will make the stock go up like mad.

PS: I don't own Tesla, but I'm looking for an entry...a small bet.

#18413 1 year ago
Quoted from kool1:

It's valuation - Meta trades at 12X. AAPL is 20X, MSFT is 24X, GOOG is 18X, AMZN is 76X
Huge cuts in R&D spending. Also, META is a cashflow monster - don't underestimate the power of that.
Or buy AAPL - new 52 week low yesterday[quoted image]

My biggest problem with META is that it's 90% Advertising revenue. And I did average down on Apple both yesterday and this morning. At least they make something and sell a product.

#18414 1 year ago

Meta has lawsuits overseas for targeted advertising - they have paid out over $1B already....

#18415 1 year ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Meta has lawsuits overseas for targeted advertising - they have paid out over $1B already....

This is just noise. Lawsuits are a regular thing for tech companies.

Quoted from kvan99:

Yeah, what Kool said....except Meta's price is more like 10x (with the cost cutting). Now, remember, this is a very profitable company, the market is spooked because they think the CEO is distracted and has lost focus(does this remind of you of another tech darling that's in the dumps?)

The metaverse / AI was a huge distraction and a big money pit. Timing was terrible also and they paid for it in 2022. It seems management has listened.

My biggest problem with META is that it's 90% Advertising revenue. And I did average down on Apple both yesterday and this morning. At least they make something and sell a product.

This is true but "making something and selling a product" doesn't translate to investing and making money.

Meta is not a sure bet for 2023 but given where it trades relative to the market, technicals, and business outlook it looks like a buy.

#18416 1 year ago

Well Motley Fool agrees with you regarding META. I'm down so much on it though..yuck.

Also thinks Alphabet is a good bet. (I currently hold GOOG)

#18417 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Me too. Hate that company business model going forward.

They do too. That’s why they moved to “meta verse” prematurely. Apple privacy crushed them.

Stopped using FB ads. ROI terrible

#18418 1 year ago

Gene Munster, long time tech analyst, at Loup ventures, has a good write up on Apple and what’s coming. $250 next year a bit optimistic but

My guy Danny Ives at Wedbush lowered target to $175 for this year and top holding.

Love the risk/reward setup for Apple, MSFT and GOOGL

Tide will turn eventually

#18419 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

They do too. That’s why they moved to “meta verse” prematurely. Apple privacy crushed them.

I use FB ads and boosted posts as a big part of our social media promotion for the Northwest Pinball & Arcade Show, it works quite well for it, the ROI is great for the amount of tickets we sale through the FB event invite. Compared to newspaper, radio, TV and billboard advertising, you get way more bang for your buck for event advertising running a FB/Instagram promotion campaign. I'm still not buying Meta.

#18420 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Quoted from nwpinball:

I use FB ads and boosted posts as a big part of our social media promotion for the Northwest Pinball & Arcade Show, it works quite well for it, the ROI is great for the amount of tickets we sale through the FB event invite. Compared to newspaper, radio, TV and billboard advertising, you get way more bang for your buck for event advertising running a FB/Instagram promotion campaign. I'm still not buying Meta.

Personal feelings and experiences can help or hinder investment decisions. I always try and take that out when making decisions. I don't care for Apple products but I was happy to take advantage of their growth. FB is a dominant player no matter what you think of them.

Quoted from iceman44:

Gene Munster, long time tech analyst, at Loup ventures, has a good write up on Apple and what’s coming. $250 next year a bit optimistic but
My guy Danny Ives at Wedbush lowered target to $175 for this year and top holding.
Love the risk/reward setup for Apple, MSFT and GOOGL
Tide will turn eventually

$250 is pure fantasy in this environment - makes for good TV and publishing hits. $175 is a stretch and you will only see that if the market moves up strong before year end. I don't see that either but we shall have to see.

#18421 1 year ago

I'm surprised, it's a Friday and they're long into the weekend, this is a good sign.

#18422 1 year ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I'm surprised, it's a Friday and they're long into the weekend, this is a good sign.

I wouldn't get too excited. 1 day (even a Friday) is not a trend.

#18423 1 year ago

Today is a glimpse into the future as to what’s coming as Fed pauses and pivots and inflation already dropping like a rock.

2nd half of yr, 2024

Quoted from kool1:

Personal feelings and experiences can help or hinder investment decisions. I always try and take that out when making decisions. I don't care for Apple products but I was happy to take advantage of their growth. FB is a dominant player no matter what you think of them.

$250 is pure fantasy in this environment - makes for good TV and publishing hits. $175 is a stretch and you will only see that if the market moves up strong before year end. I don't see that either but we shall have to see.

You seem to state things as a certainty on what you are against. And like a feather floating in the wind on what you are for, which other than Energy, who knows. GL with that.

#18424 1 year ago
8CFD7009-6AFC-40C5-9BCE-1913EB9B89C3 (resized).png8CFD7009-6AFC-40C5-9BCE-1913EB9B89C3 (resized).png
#18425 1 year ago
39553D5D-AC3E-4345-B341-029C42B10501 (resized).png39553D5D-AC3E-4345-B341-029C42B10501 (resized).png9F3A3BA3-FBBB-4CCF-8CD9-6A767CCFB164 (resized).png9F3A3BA3-FBBB-4CCF-8CD9-6A767CCFB164 (resized).png
#18426 1 year ago

Meta deserves where it’s trading on declining ad revenue, a costly shift to the metaverse that nobody knows how that will ultimately play out or who the winners would be.

GOOGL is a MUCH better play on ad revenue, with search and a very wide moat.

#18427 1 year ago
6328DBC1-357E-4475-8D35-871CC1FB6BFF (resized).png6328DBC1-357E-4475-8D35-871CC1FB6BFF (resized).png
#18428 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You seem to state things as a certainty on what you are against. And like a feather floating in the wind on what you are for, which other than Energy, who knows. GL with that.

I'm not sure what that means. Technically speaking and understanding where we are and where we would have to get in the market to see the AAPL hit your targets, I don't see the predictions to be likely. Chart is broken, fundamentals are weaking and the fed is not cutting anytime soon.

#18429 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Meta deserves where it’s trading on declining ad revenue, a costly shift to the metaverse that nobody knows how that will ultimately play out or who the winners would be.
GOOGL is a MUCH better play on ad revenue, with search and a very wide moat.

I agree but Google stock will take a little longer to turn. FB now is purely a technical and valuation call.

#18430 1 year ago
Quoted from kool1:

I agree but Google stock will take a little longer to turn. FB now is purely a technical and valuation call.

This interview was truly an eye-opener for me:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/on-gps-economic-shifts-in-2023/vi-AA166xCE?category=foryou

America is 4% of the world's population, 25% of the world's economic output but the 60% total stock market valuation. Even accounting for the safety of US markets vs the world, the historical valuation has never been this expensive and now we're heading into a high interest environment.

#18431 1 year ago

kool1

What's your opinion on Algonquin power? I usually have 10% of my portfolio in turnaround beaten,troubled names, I currently have none in that space. I like to add 3 names. Algonquin is yielding nicely, even if they cut the dividend as long as the yield is higher than inflation it's still good. The CEO is firm on saying no dividend cut, lol....

Also looking at Mcan on tsx. Not much analyst coverage on this name. Doing my research... I usually hold a few cdn bank names, wouldn't mind adding this mcan for its 100%divident tax free payout ratio right into my tax free savings. It's currently yielding10%. Has you or your firm ever dealt with mcan? Not sure if rising rates vs borrowing spread will deepen to increase there end of more cashflows thus more dividends??? My other option is to stick with either CIBC, TD or open a position in Scotia.???? Perhaps waiting it out a wee bit longer and see how q1 earnings look like before any new or adding positions

#18432 1 year ago

kvan99

High interest rate environment??? Really???

I'm sure you can walk into any credit institution in Florida, assuming you have good credit, you can walk away with a 30yr mortgage fixed at a rate lower than U.S.A inflation rate. To me, that means the borrowed money is still free!!!! Inflation alone will pay the loan itself....

People are complaining about high rates???

Historically the rates are still cheap.

Can you imagine the poor sucker who buys a newly stamped 30yr U.S bond & holds on to it for the full 30yr term at what a lousy 3.76% rate, how much of his/hers purchasing power will be lost over 3 decades of U.S development? Pathetic..... Who buys these silly bonds at below inflation and is content with throwing money away into the ever expanding money supply and inflationary society that has been created?

Ps.... Don't you have to pay taxes on interest income in the u.s.a? Is it really income when real inflation(not what the fed posts) in theory will erode all the gains and some from these pathetic rates?

Make no mistake, current mortgage rates are cheaper than free & treasury yields are absolutely a joke!

The bond markets are absolutely being fudged, it's been fudged for quite some time. Britain and Japan recently re-fudged there markets. The U.S has been fudging them since the Raegan administration.

I like to know in a real global capitalistic environment with fiat currencies being backed by something real & not by a bunch of gobble gobble turkey, what the real rates would be especially with the current and ongoing ponzi state of severe govt overspending and never ending obligations?

Goodnight

#18433 1 year ago

Mannkind - MNKD - continues to do very well for me. Their CEO is speaking at a big JPMC conference this week which is supposedly a good sign. Big Pharma evidently shorts them like crazy to try and suppress their valuation and capitulate to a low ball buyout. MNKD has only increased in value. I’m having fun with it.

#18434 1 year ago
Quoted from BRONX:

kool1
What's your opinion on Algonquin power? I usually have 10% of my portfolio in turnaround beaten,troubled names, I currently have none in that space. I like to add 3 names. Algonquin is yielding nicely, even if they cut the dividend as long as the yield is higher than inflation it's still good. The CEO is firm on saying no dividend cut, lol....
Also looking at Mcan on tsx. Not much analyst coverage on this name. Doing my research... I usually hold a few cdn bank names, wouldn't mind adding this mcan for its 100%divident tax free payout ratio right into my tax free savings. It's currently yielding10%. Has you or your firm ever dealt with mcan? Not sure if rising rates vs borrowing spread will deepen to increase there end of more cashflows thus more dividends??? My other option is to stick with either CIBC, TD or open a position in Scotia.???? Perhaps waiting it out a wee bit longer and see how q1 earnings look like before any new or adding positions

I would avoid AQN - Kentucky Power acquisition means a ton of debt. Market hates that in this environment. Buy good banks over MCAN in my opinion.

Quoted from kvan99:

This interview was truly an eye-opener for me:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/on-gps-economic-shifts-in-2023/vi-AA166xCE?category=foryou
America is 4% of the world's population, 25% of the world's economic output but the 60% total stock market valuation. Even accounting for the safety of US markets vs the world, the historical valuation has never been this expensive and now we're heading into a high interest environment.

You can certainly make a strong case markets are still far from cheap. Most of the excess valuation is still in tech.

Higher rates for longer will certainly make it hard for stocks to rise much this year.

#18435 1 year ago

Thank-you kool1

#18436 1 year ago

Nasdaq pushing up again... larger tech rally starting? I'm ready to start buying back in on a few companies.

#18437 1 year ago

nwpinball

I'm curious what companies on Nasdaq are on your watch list?

#18438 1 year ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Nasdaq pushing up again... larger tech rally starting? I'm ready to start buying back in on a few companies.

Yes, you noticed too..looks like risk is back in vogue. Still way early IMO, Mike Wilson of MA the only one who has consistently called the action correctly says 20% down flush coming. But 20% does sound a bit steep, he's basing it on the downward revision of earnings, which maybe not be as bad due to a variety of factors at play here.

#18439 1 year ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Nasdaq is still in the midst of a bottoming processes. it's early days but you can pick away, especially on days of weakness.

Cyclicals and the broad market are a little further along. This upcoming earnings season should be interesting.

#18440 1 year ago

Looks like this rally is going to meet a premature death: Today Steve Scalise said no guarantees that the US won't default on its debt payment. Talk about a self-inflicted wound. If it happens it will trigger a downgrade of our credit rating and a higher interest rate for any future government debt.

#18441 1 year ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Looks like this rally is going to meet a premature death: Today Steve Scalise said no guarantees that the US won't default on its debt payment. Talk about a self-inflicted wound. If it happens it will trigger a downgrade of our credit rating and a higher interest rate for any future government debt.

If that happens buy as much ammo as you can, the world will unwind

#18442 1 year ago

Don’t take this the wrong way but this was Mike Wilson’s past calls. Seems to lean way too bearish.

https://www.fa-mag.com/news/morgan-stanley-s-chief-strategist-was--wrong---but-still-sees-lower-s-p-500-65075.html?section=

2021 will end year at 3900. (2021 Year end 4793)
2022 will go down to 4400. (2022 end of day low 3640)
2023 will go down towards 3000. (Ehhhh)

With all these 20% drop predictions can the folks who state them at least say what stocks will lead the charge downward? Like AAPL $100?? And if we drop down there what will come later on? 40-50% rise??

I don’t think Steve Scalise drives the market whatsoever. I would pay attention to how much money they send out along with polices to help the market/economy, follow, get as much in your pocket as possible and tap out when the polices and fiscal peak or even fail. Like if Everyone is flipping $500,000 houses with stated income loans - what do you do? You own TDOC and a bunch of folks are long on it and it hit $250 - what do you do?

The Fed/policy markers 2020 on blew money out the door and had low rates. Now the Fed is pulling money back in but will be paying along with banks hundreds of billions in interest to do so. 8.7% Cola SS payments on “last years” inflation will add $120B more in SS payments this year. This money does right to the economy. Higher rates and lowering inflation are probably setting things up to go higher like 1983 did.

Now I posted this before last CPI and we will see if truflation site is right again. CPI is a just a “lagging” indicator. 5.7% per end of month Dec on chart. (Edit put down 6.8% but wrong number)

Honestly I don’t know anyone who is really worried about inflation anymore. Do you folks?? A big part of the reason is that it’s dropping. Except Bond SLE.

https://app.truflation.com/

Will see. I would tranche into stocks on pullbacks but I don’t think we see low 3000’s and I doubt we break 3700. I think pullback or not 4300 will be the target and we will chop our way up to get there and when it probably comes we can go from there.

Good luck folks!

#18443 1 year ago

I think this mini rally can go a couple of weeks or longer. We have seen this before and been burned each time.

Earnings and inflation numbers will be key.

#18444 1 year ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Don’t take this the wrong way but this was Mike Wilson’s past calls. Seems to lean way too bearish.
https://www.fa-mag.com/news/morgan-stanley-s-chief-strategist-was--wrong---but-still-sees-lower-s-p-500-65075.html?section=
2021 will end year at 3900. (2021 Year end 4793)
2022 will go down to 4400. (2022 end of day low 3640)
2023 will go down towards 3000. (Ehhhh)
With all these 20% drop predictions can the folks who state them at least say what stocks will lead the charge downward? Like AAPL $100?? And if we drop down there what will come later on? 40-50% rise??
I don’t think Steve Scalise drives the market whatsoever. I would pay attention to how much money they send out along with polices to help the market/economy, follow, get as much in your pocket as possible and tap out when the polices and fiscal peak or even fail. Like if Everyone is flipping $500,000 houses with stated income loans - what do you do? You own TDOC and a bunch of folks are long on it and it hit $250 - what do you do?
The Fed/policy markers 2020 on blew money out the door and had low rates. Now the Fed is pulling money back in but will be paying along with banks hundreds of billions in interest to do so. 8.7% Cola SS payments on “last years” inflation will add $120B more in SS payments this year. This money does right to the economy. Higher rates and lowering inflation are probably setting things up to go higher like 1983 did.
Now I posted this before last CPI and we will see if truflation site is right again. CPI is a just a “lagging” indicator. 5.7% per end of month Dec on chart. (Edit put down 6.8% but wrong number)
Honestly I don’t know anyone who is really worried about inflation anymore. Do you folks?? A big part of the reason is that it’s dropping. Except Bond SLE.
https://app.truflation.com/
Will see. I would tranche into stocks on pullbacks but I don’t think we see low 3000’s and I doubt we break 3700. I think pullback or not 4300 will be the target and we will chop our way up to get there and when it probably comes we can go from there.
Good luck folks!

I wasn't paying attention to the data in 2021 but in 2022 he was perhaps the only big Wallstreet strategists warning about the future downtrend. If he missed the numbers he did get the trend or direction right.

#18445 1 year ago

I mean eventually the end of days folks will be right.

#18446 1 year ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

If that happens buy as much ammo as you can, the world will unwind

Thanks and let me guess, horde cash?

#18447 1 year ago

bottlecaps, the answer is always bottlecaps.

and twinkies.

#18448 1 year ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Thanks and let me guess, horde cash?

Funny but when the world reserve currency is the dollar and the US defaults you think only interest rates will go up?

#18449 1 year ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Funny but when the world reserve currency is the dollar and the US defaults you think only interest rates will go up?

No, you're right, I was just messing with you. I need to go back and see how the market reacted to the debt ceiling fight last time when the clock ran out.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/investors-brace-us-debt-ceiling-fight-after-house-speaker-saga-2023-01-11/

last time it cost the taxpayers 18.9 Billion.
https://www.politico.com/blogs/politico44/2012/11/report-2011-debt-ceiling-fight-cost-taxpayers-189-billion-150392

#18450 1 year ago

I assumed the rise right now is due to the flip in the house, although how anyone can be excited about that cluster is beyond me.

I am still on the fence and looking at alternative resources. If the market is going to fake us out for half the year and then just dive again, I can wait and throw money at it next year.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 21,022 posts in this topic. You are on page 369 of 421.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders/page/369 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.