Image 4-6-24 at 11.42?AM (resized).jpeg
IMG_7948 (resized).jpeg
kuiil-have-spoken.gif
200w.gif
gold24 (resized).jpg
counting_coins_02.gif
IMG_1659 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,015 posts in this topic. You are on page 351 of 421.
#17501 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Foreign exchange is nuts too. Euro is at parity with the dollar again. When I moved from Japan 10 years ago it was 75 yen to the dollar. As a general rule, looking around town things that cost about $1 cost 100 Yen so that was a huge hinderance to taking the family out. This morning it is 143 yen to the dollar. Stuff like that makes exporting hard and adds up.

US multinationals are going to take a huge currency hit. Never want the USD this strong.

#17502 1 year ago
Quoted from kool1:

US multinationals are going to take a huge currency hit. Never want the USD this strong.

If I was still in uniform and stationed in Japan I'd be having a field day. Example... PS5 is 49,900 Yen in Japan and $500 in the USA. Thats about $350 in US to Yen exchanged dollars at 143 yen to the dollar. However on the flip side that John Deer Tractor made in the USA gets really expensive and hard to sell over there.

#17503 1 year ago

If I was still in uniform and stationed in Japan I'd be having a field day. Example... PS5 is 49,900 Yen in Japan and $500 in the USA. Thats about $350 in US to Yen exchanged dollars at 143 yen to the dollar. However on the flip side that John Deer Tractor made in the USA gets really expensive and hard to sell over there.

When I was stationed in Spain - we would take multiple trips to Turkey for exercises. Each time the Lira got weaker, but the local vendors always "adjusted" their prices so everything always cost about the same.

#17504 1 year ago

Ouch...

#17505 1 year ago

I don't know what will happen in the market tomorrow, but I'm giving a better than even chance Russia announces full war mobilization by the end of the month (September 2022), a spike in oil prices, the Euro trading for under a dollar, and a 5% + crash in the German stock market.

#17506 1 year ago

I don't know what will happen in the market tomorrow, but I'm giving a better than even chance Russia announces full war mobilization by the end of the month (September 2022), a spike in oil prices, the Euro trading for under a dollar, and a 5% + crash in the German stock market.

All of the above in 10 days? I think I'd take the other side of that bet.

#17507 1 year ago

If I was a betting man I say we get a rally post fed announcement. Set up is all there.

I don't make those bets though. Buy oil on the dip.

#17508 1 year ago
Quoted from kool1:

If I was a betting man I say we get a rally post fed announcement. Set up is all there.

I heard the same this morning on the shows. Not willing to throw down money, but I may cherry pick today and tomorrow morning

#17509 1 year ago
Quoted from kool1:

Oil companies? Like Exxon, etc?

#17510 1 year ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Oil companies? Like Exxon, etc?

Sure - collect a dividend now and you should not only get stability but good growth also.

My favorite is COP.

#17511 1 year ago

Who is up for some new lows? C'mon snake eyes....

dice2.gifdice2.gif
#17512 1 year ago

You would need a significant negative shock to make new lows here.

Could happen but I still think the S&P will likely bounce.

#17513 1 year ago
Quoted from kool1:

You would need a significant negative shock to make new lows here.
Could happen but I still think the S&P will likely bounce.

100 points to go...

#17514 1 year ago

Foreign exchange is nuts too. Euro is at parity with the dollar again. When I moved from Japan 10 years ago it was 75 yen to the dollar. As a general rule, looking around town things that cost about $1 cost 100 Yen so that was a huge hinderance to taking the family out. This morning it is 143 yen to the dollar. Stuff like that makes exporting hard and adds up.

Does this mean the Japanese auto manufacturers will be lowering their prices in the USA?

#17515 1 year ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

100 points to go...

Looks like intraday we will get through there on the open. Looks really ugly this morning.

#17516 1 year ago

Energy is getting clocked today down 8%

#17517 1 year ago
Quoted from kool1:

Looks like intraday we will get through there on the open. Looks really ugly this morning.

bounced off it at 12:30

#17518 1 year ago

Well, it has arrived....the panic selling has begun. Powell really blew it.

#17519 1 year ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Well, it has arrived....the panic selling has begun. Powell really blew it.

Powell is just trying to clean up the mess.

#17520 1 year ago

3636 looks like it will hold today

#17521 1 year ago
Quoted from jchristian11:

Powell is just trying to clean up the mess.

The mess he and his cronies created in the first place.

#17522 1 year ago
Quoted from loneacer:

The mess he and his cronies created in the first place.

WTF is a central bank for other than manipulating other peoples ideals on the market. Let the free market set prices.

#17523 1 year ago

This isn't bad news, this is opportunity. Sifting through who will survive or die is the hard part.

#17524 1 year ago

Fed deadset to over tighten and break economy. Stocks ultimately go lower until guidance changes.

#17525 1 year ago

I am gonna load up here at some point. All on red baby!

#17526 1 year ago

vix is close to 32 usually maxes out between 30 and 35. Oversold at this point?

#17527 1 year ago
Quoted from DropGems:

Fed deadset to over tighten and break economy. Stocks ultimately go lower until guidance changes.

Correct - staying 20% cash

Market is clearly ready to go lower now - Sucks

#17528 1 year ago
Quoted from kool1:

I'm still at 88.5% cash - call me crazy, but glad I've been paranoid so far. Down 2.25% for the year plus whatever damage inflation did to my cash

#17529 1 year ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

I'm still at 88.5% cash - call me crazy, but glad I've been paranoid so far. Down 2.25% for the year plus whatever damage inflation did to my cash

Nice. Was the one year in the last decade that staying cash actually worked! But well played.

#17530 1 year ago
Quoted from kool1:

I'm not so sure. After professor Sigel's tirade on Cnbc I think Powell may have to rethink his nose bleed rate hike strategy... I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a bit more dovish in the next meeting. Also Fed Chicago president Evans said he's nervous about the speed of the rate hikes...he cautioned it would be wise to wait for more data. We could be looking at the bottom at least in the near term.

#17531 1 year ago

New Market sentiment- sell on any strength

#17532 1 year ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

New Market sentiment- sell on any strength

been that way basically all year
but it's got to turn sooner or later

#17533 1 year ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I'm not so sure. After professor Sigel's tirade on Cnbc I think Powell may have to rethink his nose bleed rate hike strategy... I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a bit more dovish in the next meeting. Also Fed Chicago president Evans said he's nervous about the speed of the rate hikes...he cautioned it would be wise to wait for more data. We could be looking at the bottom at least in the near term.

There is no re-thinking. Powell has been clear as he can be. Market is priced for 75 50 and 25 bps for the next 3 meetings. The only thing that will stop the Fed is a clear break on inflation. Pause will come we see that but we need 2-3 months of declining inflation data.

Market won't bounce significantly until the Fed signals it's done or almost done.

#17534 1 year ago
Quoted from kool1:

There is no re-thinking. Powell has been clear as he can be. Market is priced for 75 50 and 25 bps for the next 3 meetings. The only thing that will stop the Fed is a clear break on inflation. Pause will come we see that but we need 2-3 months of declining inflation data.
Market won't bounce significantly until the Fed signals it's done or almost done.

True but once the CPI prints a decline the market won't wait for Powell.. It will bounce... It's way oversold. Commodity prices have collapsed, housing prices are falling for the first time in years, the job market will also show sign of softening.. He better tap the brakes or he will go down as the 2nd Arthur Burns.

#17535 1 year ago
Quoted from kvan99:

True but once the CPI prints a decline the market won't wait for Powell.. It will bounce... It's way oversold. Commodity prices have collapsed, housing prices are falling for the first time in years, the job market will also show sign of softening.. He better tap the brakes or he will go down as the 2nd Arthur Burns.

Almost any good news will cause a bounce right now so ya... will it sustain and what will be the follow up from Powell determines if that was a good selling opportunity.

#17536 1 year ago

The current cycle.

Manipulation by the elite ?

Appears to be on the money. pun intended.

Thoughts ?

#17537 1 year ago

It's always manipulation. Small guys are just along for the ride.

#17538 1 year ago
Quoted from DadofTwins:

It's always manipulation. Small guys are just along for the ride.

They don't make money without price movements

#17539 1 year ago

weeeeee

tenor.giftenor.gif
#17540 1 year ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

This level is the bounce before a lot more down..... not a staging point for more up.
They're just suckering people in for a little while. Everyone is so impatient.
You'll see in Oct.

Called it months in advance and got the timing perfect as well.

Lows of the year with much lower lows coming.

Enjoy!!!

#17541 1 year ago

Oil stocks holding nicely.. great buy here. New lows for a lot of heavyweights.

It ain't over yet!

#17542 1 year ago

I'm trying a new strategy with my stocks, when I buy the shares I buy puts to protect my downside and sell out of the money calls (which help cover the excess premiums on the puts). I limit my upside to the call price but have no downside risk. Will see how it works out long term.

#17543 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I'm trying a new strategy with my stocks, when I buy the shares I buy puts to protect my downside and sell out of the money calls (which help cover the excess premiums on the puts). I limit my upside to the call price but have no downside risk. Will see how it works out long term.

Its not a strategy you want to have on all the time or long term but it's probably ok short term. Environment is still very negative.

Sold my high yield debt this week also, I think spread could widen further. Sit in money more market fund for a while. Again personal trade only, our don't have much high yield anyway.

#17544 1 year ago

Looks like we close out the week with new lows...watching from the cheap seats...

scared.gifscared.gif
#17545 1 year ago

Good go lower (but please don’t lol), will continue to buy cheaper shares to average down. I'm 100% invested in index funds for my 401k which have taken a beating over the past year, target date plans are just as worst if not lower. The good news is the market will go back up and set new highs, always does. The worst thing someone can do now is jump off the rollercoaster as it’s heading down. Have close to 20 years left for retirement so I expect to go through this at least a few more times.

#17547 1 year ago
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#17548 1 year ago
Quoted from kool1:

Its not a strategy you want to have on all the time or long term but it's probably ok short term. Environment is still very negative.
Sold my high yield debt this week also, I think spread could widen further. Sit in money more market fund for a while. Again personal trade only, our don't have much high yield anyway.

A couple weeks ago I nibbled on some higher yielding bank preferreds (spread around JPM, SBNY, MS, WFC) which have not done well in the last couple of weeks. Not sure if I should hang on, average in, or dump. Only one of them has a maturity date.

HY bond funds I bought this week look promising. There is def yield out there to have now that TINA finally died.

What is your advice for the bond part of a retiree portfolio? I'm retired, but never really invested much in fixed income.

90BF2616-450A-4A4A-ACEF-71FED0D73CEE (resized).jpeg90BF2616-450A-4A4A-ACEF-71FED0D73CEE (resized).jpeg
#17549 1 year ago

Jobs report Friday

Quoted from RTR:

A couple weeks ago I nibbled on some higher yielding bank preferreds (spread around JPM, SBNY, MS, WFC) which have not done well in the last couple of weeks. Not sure if I should hang on, average in, or dump. Only one of them has a maturity date.
HY bond funds I bought this week look promising. There is def yield out there to have now that TINA finally died.
What is your advice for the bond part of a retiree portfolio? I'm retired, but never really invested much in fixed income.
[quoted image]

Did you buy a high yield bond fund or individual bonds?

I think they are ok but if you buy individual names do your homework on the companies.

We generally keep older clients in investment grade bonds, government bonds and guaranteed term certificates. Small amounts of high yield are ok but we don't recommend big allocations as they can get volatile. Bonds allocations are there for income but also meant to keep portfolio volatility down. Most retired clients are at 60/50 or 70/30 equity to fixed these days though we are tilting to more fixed income with rates being higher now.

#17550 1 year ago
Quoted from kool1:

Jobs report Friday

Did you buy a high yield bond fund or individual bonds?
I think they are ok but if you buy individual names do your homework on the companies.
We generally keep older clients in investment grade bonds, government bonds and guaranteed term certificates. Small amounts of high yield are ok but we don't recommend big allocations as they can get volatile. Bonds allocations are there for income but also meant to keep portfolio volatility down. Most retired clients are at 60/50 or 70/30 equity to fixed these days though we are tilting to more fixed income with rates being higher now.

The bond ETFs are SJNK and SHYG. They have both been hammered this year and now have a 30 day yield in the 7s. Not huge positions, just been buying small lots of each over the last 2 weeks.

The bank preferreds act a little like bonds but only one of them has a maturity date. Some are fixed rate, some floating. Bought them a little too early back in July/august and they are down about 6% now. Currently yield around 6.2%.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 12.95
$ 18.95
There are 21,015 posts in this topic. You are on page 351 of 421.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stock-market-traders/page/351 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.